Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II

Comments

• Options
    bob68iabob68ia Member Posts: 6
    I think it is great that chevy now has the HD lineup, but feel that GM is pushing people into the HD's.

The company I work for has a bunch of 2500 ext LB's with the 350 and 3.73 gears. We don't really need any more power, but if we can get it without giving up mileage, we would take it.

GM is not paying much attention to the market for these trucks. Why did they stop making the 2500 LD ext cab LB? The 6.0 with 3.73 in the LD with the 5 speed is what I want.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Proper Hitch Attachment

Hitch placement is crucial to successful fifth-wheel trailering. If it is attached behind the rear axle, overload will likely occur there, with no load on the front axle. The result may be some loss of vehicle control. The placement should be 0-6 inches forward of the rear axle, with three inches ideal. Staying well behind the cab is also required so as not to cause cab-to-trailer interference, which may limit turning radius.
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    Based on some pretty rough calculations I think I averaged about 13.6 mpg on my first tank. 2500HD CC 4x4 6.0 automatic. I am hoping for about 15. This 290 miles between fill ups is going to be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].

I'd like to hear some opinions or experiences concerning waxing the Truck. Should I do it right away or let it "cure" for a while? Also, what kind of wax? Good ole turtle wax or something else?
  • Options
    jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Sf, As for a wax, I use Zaino. I started using this on my 1999 Silverado that was Indigo Blue and Pewter. I often found that waxing a dark color you would end up with swirly marks or minute scratches. However the Zaino stuff proved to work out well with no problems. I traded in that 99 for a 2500HD D/A which is all pewter. The Zaino still looks good on a lighter colored paint but was certainly a knock out with the dark colors. Check it out.

www.zainobros.com
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Did you know that the backup lights are also wired into the 7 prong outlet? I used an unused wire in the pigtail of my 29' travel trailer to a foglight relay mounted under the trailer. Tied one side of the contacts through a fuse to the trailer battery (which is charged by the truck) Tied the other side of the contacts to two 55W halogen white fog lights mounted on the back of the trailer. Now, when I get to a campsite after dark, throw it in reverse and voila! everything behind the trailer gets lit up and I don't have to worry about backing over something. I have also heard of adding a warning alarm so that folks know you are backing up. Can't see much behind those suckers when backing up, otherwise.

Jim
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    My mileage started low, and improved through about 10-12,000 miles. Yours should improve as the drivetrain breaks in.

Mike L
  • Options
    grandkanyonk9grandkanyonk9 Member Posts: 2
    i would like to hear from any owners of trucks fitting this description (or close to this) as i am a future buyer and plan to get a 5th wheel r/v
    young and inexperianced seeking performance info as well
  • Options
    gono2gono2 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a new 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 LT Short Bed. It has the 6.0 with a 4.10 rear end (limited slip). This will be a personal truck and will only ocasionally pull a boat to the lake (no towing otherwise). I am looking for anyones experience with gas mileage (empty weight) for this engine and rear end. Love the looks and feel when driving. Thanks for the help
  • Options
    94gmc94gmc Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a new truck either a 454 or the new 6.0L I would like either a 96,97,98 or 99 I need the truck for my every day driving, and driving during the summer. I need it too pull a fifth wheel trailer in the summer, Which is best for this? Does anybody currently own either of these trucks? Can you tell me your gas millage? I currently have a 1994 350, Automatic, Ext Cab and it gets 19 - 20MPG with no load on the highway and 10 - 11MPG With a load on the highway, I need more power and I want better gas millage! also does anyone know the ratings for the 454 or 6.0L? any help would be great! you can e-mail me at MarkYezy@yahoo.ca or answer here, Thank You, Mark
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...and the 6.0 with 4:10's gets about 12.5 MPG dry...that's 75 on highway and 55 in city....about 50/50

....I don't pull a lot...but haul quite a bit.
    I pulled a 28 foot trailer for a friend....it pulled very good..but if I did it on a regular basis or long term....I'd want the 454 or new 8.1.....not that it can't handle it...but the 454/8.1 would be a lot more comfort

Good Luck

- Tim
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Please help. I lost my '99 Extended cab the other night to a low-flying Plymouth. I test drove 3 different Crew-Cabs today, and have decided on the 8.1-Allison with the 3.73 rear. Since I want all the goodies except the roof lights, MSRP is $40,317 and the dealer wants $500 over invoice for an order. Is this a good deal? They wouldn't consider my $100 over invoice offer. I don't know if I should try negotiating more, or try another dealer. What do you guys think???
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    wanted MSRP + $5800. I think you got this price beat.
  • Options
    jz322jz322 Member Posts: 1
    Please help. This is my first time on this site, so I hope that I am not repeating an old question. But the responses that I have been reading are from fall of 2000. My questions are:

What are the gas/fuel mileages that you are see with a 2500 series, 4.10 rear end?

Are there any head problems with the duramax diesel engines? I heard there was a problem. But heard that the problem was when GM first started to manufacture the trucks they were not putting enough coolant in the truck, causing them to overheat and causing the engine failure. Is this a true statement and do they have the problem fixed?
  • Options
    For what it's worth I got slightly better than 13mpg on my first tank. I've had the truck less than a week and have been trying to take it easy. It's a 2001 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0, automatic. When empty the thing has plenty of power, I've already spun the tires just pulling out into traffic.
    As far as price, I ordered it for $200 over invoice so depending on where you are, $500 over may be a pretty good deal.
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    hermanjhhermanjh Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone out there with expereience with this engine?
    I have a 3500 with a 454 and want a new truck. I pull a 12,000 LB fifth wheeel.
    My local dealer said, he couldn't get me a Duramax, however I have found TX dealers who apparently can.
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Went the the National Farm Machinery Show this weekend with dad. In 2000 Ext Cab 4x4 1500 5.3L 3.73 265. With 16000 miles on the truck got a whopping 13.7 mpg at 65-72 mph. Drove about 450 miles round trip. I want my 99 back, same truck, but 3 dr would have gotten 17+. I don't understand this truck at all. I know every engine is different, but it is still bad. My tanks all average 11-14. Not very good. Maybee why my next truck will probable be a Duramax.

Hunter
  • Options
    angrybobangrybob Member Posts: 3
    What do you HD owners think of them? I will be upgrading soon from my '95 and my biggest commplaint is the brakes...you have to push a country mile before the brakes engage. Is this still the case? I did hear that GM fixed this. What are the likes and dislikes of the brakes? BTW - I tow often and am curious of the lining life.

Thanks!
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Can anyone help? A few months back you guys were talking about $1000 (?) rebate for owner loyalty for those awaiting delivery. How does that work, or what are the criteria? Got my best price on new SLT Crew-Cab at small dealership, but stated it may take 6 months to get vehicle since they are not alloted any at this time... If I end up waiting that length, do I qualify for rebate? Please help.
    - Eric
  • Options
    jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    grandkanyonk9, hermanjh, jz322, I just picked up my 2500HD Duramax/Allison Extra cab longbed 4x4 and it is certainly a beast. My previous vehicle was a 99 1500 Silverado extra cab with the 5.3 gasser. I liked this truck very much and it served its purpose very well. However my wife and I purchased our first 5th wheel and new at that time the 1500 was not going to be up to the job. The trailer we bought is a 36' Montana with a GVWR of 14k lbs. It is currently sitting idle in my yard incased in snow. As soon as spring arrives and I can gain access to it, I will be hitching it up and taking it camping.

The Durmax so far has been a very positive experience and lives beyond the expectations that have been set by the media. The engine is extremely quiet for a diesel. You can at freeway speeds carry a conversation with the passengers without having to talk louder than the diesel. I am also very impressed with the amount of low end grunt this thing has. If I need to accelerate from a low speed or a stop the engine can easily provide it without any difficulty. My friend who has a new 2001 Ford F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke was very impressed with the amount of on hand power.

The Allison is also just as remarkable. It provides quick and smooth shifts and seems to know the best band to be in.

I currenly have 1500 miles on this truck and my best fuel mileage has been 17.9. Hopefully as the miles pour on the mileage will get better. I cannot tell you what the towing mileage will be since I have not done so yet.

Someone mentioned problems with the heads. This is a rumor that is being drummed up by certain diesel groups. The Duramax has been in development and testing for quite a long time. It is not an engine that was thrown together just for the sake of obtaining a diesel. It is GM's last ditch attempt to gain access to this increasing market and is closely monitored by GM. If for some reason an engine does have a defect, it is removed from the customers truck and replaced with a new one. The only one is sent back to the factory and inspected by GM/Isuzu to determine what went wrong. The rumors that are being posted state that heads or this or that is being replaced. I suggest to you that you visit the forum that is located on the diesel page. WWW.THEDIESELPAGE.COM These guys know what they are talking about and can answer your questions or concerns about these rumors. Also there is information on towing and fuel mileage. You can also check out WWW.TRAILERLIFE.COM this magazine did a big article on the new 8.1 and Duramax HD trucks. They provide insight on how it performed towing 15K lbs. It also gave information on the towing mileage for both the gasser and the diesel. If you can find a reprint of the magazine article, I think you will be quite pleased with what they said about the new Duramax and the 8.1.

I chose the Duramax/Allison based upon research and talking to fellow campers who tow heavy trailers. I could of went with the gasser and problably would of enjoyed it just as much as the diesel. However my truck is also a daily driver in addition to a tow vehicle. I wanted something dependable, fuel savy, tow capable and would also have a high resale value in the years to come. The diesel is certainly different in driving characteristics than a gasser and is definately fun to drive.
  • Options
    gulfguygulfguy Member Posts: 30
    I've been told my truck is built and shipped. Can anyone here give me the rail car number on CXS so that I can track it from Cinci to Birmingham, AL?

My truck is:
    2001 GMC 2500HD, Crew Cab (not extended cab) SLT (Onyx black with light pewter leather, short bed, 2 wheel drive with 8.1 liter engine, Allison automatic trans, and 3.73 locking differential.
    the dealer is: Vince Whibbs in Pensacola, FL and the VIN: 1GTHC23G11F144525

The procedure as I understand it is that:

"All trucks will leave Flint MI on Royal Candadian Rail which does not have a tracking system. They take them to Cincinnati OH. CSX takes them from there and in our case brings them to Birmingham, AL where they are unloaded and brought by transporter to Pensacola. CSX has a web page twsnetpublic.csx.com that lets you
    enter the railcar number and track where it is at.
    Once it hits Birmingham and tracking status says ramp off load it is time to call the dealer and tell him to call up there and ask them to get it on the next available transport. That is what I did....and it was delivered 2 days later."

If anyone out there can access the system to identify what rail car the vehicle goes out on I'd really appreciate it.

gulfguy
    tomcrain@gulftel.com
    fax 334-948-7952
    voice 800-372-0484
  • Options
    is currently travelling thru FL hopefully enroute to AZ, per the BNSF vin # tracking system.

Tom, I sent you an email with some further details about our two trucks.

Still hopeing for end of the month!
  • Options
    mistere1mistere1 Member Posts: 1
    Responding to you folks out there asking about the Duramax engine and Allison Tranny.....
    I have a 2500HD CC LS / posi-373 and I mean to tell you it's Truck Heaven. Have 2,000 mi.
    on it and if the oceans had bridges I'd be on my way around the world. I researched this truck for 1 year then waited 4 months to take delivery ( worth the wait ). I once owned an old Mercedes touring car , thats how this truck rides. The drive train on this vehicle is all that my research indicated and more. The braking system is remarkable in it's safe stopping ability, for
    I live where we get mucho snow and a lot of adverse driving conditions.
    I use this truck in my wood business and also travel 50,000/yr ( a lot on highways) but as for hauling , this truck will do the work it was designed to do. Been checking fuel consumption,
    getting 17.39 mpg , haven't hauled any heavy loads for any long distance yet.
    The plain and simple of it is , buy what you need.
    The engine is in fact as quiet as any diesel you'll ever drive and the transmission is a real thinker and compliments the mill like two brother mules.
    I gotta go because this is starting to sound like a GM commercial. My Advise :
    " BUY THIS TRUCK " .
  • Options
    loyalgmcguyloyalgmcguy Member Posts: 64
    With my apology, I promised to update the group with some gas mileage numbers following a 500 mile trip last week. I posted the results on the 8.1 thread but not here. I have a 8.1 CC, Allison, SB 4x4. Still new with only 1,000 miles. On my 500 mile trip I mentioned, I noted 13.4 on the first tank (all highway driving varying speed with top speed 70). The second tank I noted 11.9 driving 80-90 mph. Average for the trip was 12.63.
  • Options
    At the urging of another HD purchaser, I contacted my GM rep and requested a loyalty certificate in the amount of $400. This is the amount of a loyalty certificate GM sent me last summer to induce me to buy a new truck. My arguement was that delivery took so long the $400 certificate expired. Big mistake on my part. The rep chewed me out and told me not all that politely that GM owed me nothing. His arguement was that my dealer should have warned me of long waits. This was not GM's problem. Be careful before approaching GM. These guys are awfully cranky.
  • Options
    That milage for the 8100 CC 4x4 SB sounds great. What rear end do you have 3.73, or 4.10. Stock tires I assume.

Just a note, took my 2000 1500 GMC Ext Cab sb 4x4 5.3L 3.73 265 Michelin truck to the national farm machinery show. Drove 400+ miles. Averaged a whopping 13.7 mpg driving 65-72 with dad in the cab. My averages run from 11-14.5 per tank. My 99 with the same setup except not 4 dr got 14-18. If I could get a CC 3/4 with the 8100 and ALLISON and get the same milage or only loose 1 mpg I would do it in a heart beat. The 5.3 doesn't have the torque I like to have. It has plenty of acceleration if you rev it above 4 grand all the time but I like a motor to stay below 3.

Hunter
  • Options
    For those interested in MPG. My 2001 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.0, automatic and 4.1 got roughly 13.3 on the first tank and dropped to 12.1 on the 2nd tank.
  • Options
    I've been tracking the wrong train for my new 2500HD. It is on a canadian train, right now travelling thru bBattlecreek, MI on it's way to ElMirage, AZ. Still hopeing to see it by the end of the month!

Ordered my aluminum front bed and tailgate covers, have my stainless stiffening piece of angle iron ready to install on the upper lip of the front bed....

Gotta clean up the old truck, and take the studded tires and wheels off and reinstall the summer firestone specials....
  • Options
    jeepfreak94jeepfreak94 Member Posts: 6
    Buy the 8.1 with 3.73 gear it is awesome do not see any need for 4.10 gear at all..........P.s. I have the allison 5 up too.. Very powerful fun to drive truck that will pass up any gas ford period......
  • Options
    gulfguygulfguy Member Posts: 30
    Glad you're onto the right one. I thought Tampa sounded weird for ya. CN's server is down right now but when Pontiac got ahold of me I checked and mine had gone through Nashville at 7:55 this morning. Unless it lays over in a switch yard it ought to make Birmingham this evening so I may have it early next week. (Fingers crossed but not holding my breath)
  • Options
    I have 3.73's. With regard to those who can't decide between 3.73 and 4.10 I would offer that the 3.73 trucks seem sluggish when compared to the 4.10. My 3.73 does not have the same crisp acceleration that the 4.10 I test drove had and the tow rating is slightly lower. However, at 70 mph the tach on my 3.73 reads about 2000 rpm climbing to about 2400 at 85. The truck is so quiet between 70 to 85 mph that the auto volume adjustment on the radio became too loud and I had to turn off the feature. I live in the mountains and have no complaints about the 3.73 gears on hills. The 8.1 has sufficient power to maintain any desired speed up any grade I have encountered. If you tow alot or like strong acceleration, get the 4.10's. If you are a conservative driver, who would like a little better gas mileage, get the 3.73's.
  • Options
    falknorfalknor Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2500HD LT ex cab with 8.1/Allison, 3.73 2wd LB loaded and have it ordered since Nov 22. One day I will have it if I just wait. How is the gas mileage holding up now that you have some miles on your truck. Happy motoring to you. Dave
  • Options
    steadskysteadsky Member Posts: 11
    I know from observing messages here that there is a way to track a vehicle that is in transit from the GMC Truck factory to a destination. Can anyone help me understand how I can start this? I went to this CSX home page and attempted to sign in but it seems that you need to be a member HELP!!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry, haven't checked MPG 's lately. I'll pass on what I get on the next fill-up.
  • Options
    try the bnsf.com site.You will need the VIN to track your vehicle. I never had any luck with it but others here have.
  • Options
    bigorangefanbigorangefan Member Posts: 22
  • Options
    Tracked mine from the factory to Phoenix.

Started on the canadian train system http://ecprod.cn.ca/english/commerce/cartrace/

but had the railcar supplied to me by an employee at one of the GM plants (handle - Pontiac). Somewhere around Chicago it was put on a BNSF railcar and I used that tracking system (using the last 8 digits of VIN) to track it for days across the country. This AM it is being unloaded into a 'car stall' which I guess the next step is truck it up to Flagstaff.

I need a set of take-off wheels for my new 2500HD. Have a set of studded tires to mount on the wheels. Snowmobile trip in two weeks. Hate to mount/dismount the OEM wheels just for a couple of weeks. I'll take any 2500HD takeoffs, painted, chromesteel, or AL. Let me know.

• Options
    jd03jd03 Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who are waiting for you new rig, the wait is worth it. I picked up my 01' 2500HD CC 4x4 on 2/23. I ordered it the end of October and it was well worth the wait. This truck is by far the best truck I have driven and I have driven quite a few. It feels extremely solid with a ride that is better than previous "3/4 ton" trucks I have owned. There has been a lot of thought that has gone in to the little things that are big improvements over previous models. The 6.0 liter engine seems to have a lot of power especially with the 4.10 gears. As for gas mileage-couldn't care less and never have. I don't buy trucks to get good gas mileage so I don't check it. To all you guys that are waiting, remember "Good things come to those who wait."
  • Options
    itself doesn't bother me all that much.It's the effect the mileage has on miles between fill ups that bothers me. With the little 26gallon tank on the short beds it means I am looking for a gas station at 280 miles.

If it ever stops raining for more than one day at a time I'll try to get some pictures. Planning on adding Nerfs and bed rails in a couple of weeks so maybe then I can get some pic's of 'Truckzilla' with the ugly black flares and all.
  • Options
    I will be getting a new company truck in the next few months. I am replacing a 2 wheel drive 96 3/4 ton Ext cab Long box with 350 with a 5 speed and the 3.73 gears. I drive around empty a lot, and can get 16 mpg. I can still get 15 mpg when the truck is loaded with seed.

I have another truck with the 454 for pulling our trailers. The best I ever got empty with the 454 is 13 mpg. With the trailer, 8.5 to 9 mpg.

A few weeks ago, I went to price a replacement for the 96, and found that I can't get a 2500 LD ext cab long box with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears. Then I found I out that I can't get the same truck with the 6.0. Then the dealer tried the 2001 HD ext cab Long box 6.0, I found that I can't get it with the 3.73.

I will probably end up with the 6.0 with 4.10 gears, but am NOT happy about it. I will probably put bigger tires on it to try to get some mileage back. From what I have read, I expect 12-14 MPG with factory tires. Have any of you increased tire size? What size did you go with? How much did it help mileage? Also - will I need to have the truck re-programmed??

I don't need more power in this truck, so I hate to give up the mileage. Its not so much the price of gas as it is the distance between fillups.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd mention that my tire dealer warned me that I should expect a decline in gas mileage when I shifted from 245's to 265's. He said this is due to an increase in resistance caused by having to roll a larger tire down the road. I'll check mileage and let you know.
  • Options
    Not only is the tire larger and has more rolling resistance, but it weighs more, takes more to get rolling, makes the truck sit higher, causing more suction beneith the truck which all decrease gas milage. The wider your tire is, the worse the gas milage is also. Tire size is no substitution for the correct rear end ratio. But the effect of going to a 265x75R16 or a 235x85R16 would be minimal. It may actually increase the milage on a Duramax or an 8100 because of the extra torque and power that is available and not being used while cruising empty. But a motor such as a 5.3L, 6.0L or smaller will normally see a 1mpg drop with 285.

Hunter
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    it may cause a drop in mpg.....but I would think on the highway...bigger tires means more ground being covered with the same rotation of the wheel...aka more MPG..

oh well..

- Tim
  • Options
    I guess I was thinking that I could lower the rpm's by putting taller tires on the truck. Roughly 80% of the miles we put on the trucks are going 70 mph down the interstates.

I will need to look into this. The last thing I want to do is make bad mileage worse.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Thinking about adding a flowmaster exhaust to give the Truck a little "Better" sound. Question is do I just replace the muffler or go with a cat back dual system? I Have the 6.0.
  • Options
    agree with the first part of your analysis. But the second part, where you talk about adverse effects of taller tires (overall gearing) on smaller engines, well, guess I disagree, when running light or empty...
  • Options
    smurf3smurf3 Member Posts: 4
    A friend bought a new chevy HD in the US and after 2500 Miles the transmission fell apart in a matter of words, anyone else having problems, I know of 2 others with the same problem, just a heads up.
  • Options
    If all you want is better sound, buy only the muffler. If you want an increase in performance, don't buy the flows.
  • Options
    khefnerkhefner Member Posts: 10
    I was sure that I was going to buy a LS 1500, 5.3L, Silverado, 4W4, Ext cab, Short bed, when I started thinking about the 2500. What is the big differences between the two? I understand the differences in engines as that is well documented in the brochures. How about the frame is it bigger? Suspension? Transmission? Does the 2500 sit higher off the ground?
    I tow a utility trailer with firewood and a 20 ft pleasure boat. I know the Silverado 1500 would work just fine for me, but I hate buying something when for a little more I could get something better. Is the 2500 worth the extra $?
  • Options
    Hey, if you can afford it...why not. Of course when I say afford, that includes consumables as well.
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I have both a new Silverado 1500 and 2500. The 2500 has stronger brakes, suspension, wheels, transmission, final drive, etc. The 1500 rides and drives more like a car and the 2500 rides and drives more like a truck. Not that the 2500 is harsh, it is more controlled. The 1500 gets about 10% better fuel economy for the same usage.

If you look at the various pieces, and what they would cost as options on the 1500, then the 2500 is a bargain. The 6.0L engine would cost $800-1000 more if it were available; the HD trans would cost $1000-1500 if it were available; the heavier duty suspension $200-250; the HD brakes about $4-500; the HD final drives, wheels and tires would run $400-800. Yet the price differential between the two is only about $800. My guess is the commercial competition with Ford 250SD and Dodge 2500s (where brand loyalty isn't as much a factor) helps keep the price of the 2500s down.

I like them both; if I could only have one it would have to be the 2500.

Mike L
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L 5spd
    00 Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0L 5spd
    Deadhorse, Alaska 6-6-99
This discussion has been closed.