Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II

Comments

• Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If ya ordered one now, probably get it somewhere in Sept. or Oct. Now might be the time.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    with the grim reaper going thru DCX.....I wanna see what happens

- Tim
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    Congrats on the delivery. Sounds like a nice one. Dealer says mine was scheduled for delivery yesterday so I'm expecting a call any minute. I tried the bnsf site again and still can't find it so I'm guessing the thing was put on a truck. I am going to finance with peoplefirst.com. Got 7.35% which is best I could find. I will not get the check from them until Monday or Tuesday so I may have to wait a few more days which is a real kick in the teeth. This Dealer is pretty easy to work with and I'm putting $14k down so he might let me take it early. We'll see
  • Options
    jackson43jackson43 Member Posts: 15
    Loyalgmguy, thanks for the initial mpg update, I (we) will be anxious to hear the results of your 500 mile trip. I am about to order the same configuration.

Thanks, John
  • Options
    ...it was pewter...looked gold in the dark under the light...

But I did drive it

...I had driven an ex.cab 8.1/Ali 4:10 SB....and a CC 6.0 4:10 SB...now the CC 8.1/Ali 3:73...

all were nice...and while the 3:73 was peppy..I'd still get a 4:10. It seems the Ali tranny has even less pep than the 480 Tranny when taking off....which is less than the 1500 tranny.....OH well....2500's are designed for hauling..not racing.....although the 8.1 is very nice for torque on the highway...as is the 6.0

I can't go back to 6.0 Now!

LOL

....it's just that $2295 option for a trans that is a killer...(1200 on LT).....and I don't want a manual.

we shall see...although I think I already got my mind made up

- Tim
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Tim, in the words of NIKE, "JUST DO IT". I am sure that you won't be happy unless you get what you want, but don't pay that way high price for the nerf bars though, get the westin CPS.

Hunter
  • Options
    wuh?? ..wuh??....would I do that?

....But I like them!

...if I did go back to nerfs....it would be the westin CPS....but everybody has those...although they are the best of the nerfs

...Nahh..never was a Nike Fan...I'm more Adidas!

LOL

...wrong color and trim level....although the cloth is nice in it's own way....

...I'll just wait until June/July or so to order...then complain in November that I don't have it to show it off to the boys at hunting camp....LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    bigorangefanbigorangefan Member Posts: 22
    YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT THE 4.1 VS 3.73 ITS' THE ONLY WAY TO GO. TOOK DELV OF MY 25OO CC 4X4 8.1 ALI LS (4.1) YESTERDAY. ORDERED 12-1 FROM M.K. SMITH CHEVROLET IN CHINO CA. (GREAT FOLKS,ASK FOR JIM DAVIS IN FLEET) I DROVE A 3.73 BEFORE ORDERING AND AT 200RPM DIFF GO FOR THE 4.10 ESPECIALLY IF YOU PUT 265 OR 285'S ON LATER, YOU WILL BE GLAD. I RAGGED TIM IN THE PAST ABOUT BEING A POWER FREAK AND I'AM THE FIRST TO SAY I WAS WRONG, IF ANYBODY OUT THERE IS IN THE ORDER PROCESS GOOOOOOOO 4.10
  • Options
    smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
    The custom cloth rules and it wears better than the leather. I know one thing, that leather ain't from the same cows that they skin for Lexus seats. I had a 99LT with the Graphite leather. The driver's seat stretched so badly the dealer replaced both fronts under warranty. (and I only weigh 185). That is why I now navigate in an LS.
  • Options
    I am 230 and after 1.5 years and 29K miles....I see no stretch or wear..

I musta got better Cows?

- Tim
  • Options
    ..SEE!

LOL

..I drove a CC HD 8.1/Ali 3:73 Thursday....and it seemed to lack as well....I just like power..what can I say?

- Tim
  • Options
    bob68iabob68ia Member Posts: 6
    I went to a local dealer to get a complete list of option codes for the HD's. The edmonds site has most of the option codes, but not all of them.

The dealer didn't really have a list, but offered to go to the computer and put my truck together with options I want. He said he would print it off for me so I would have the codes I need.

One option I wanted was 3.73 gears. After trying a few times, he concluded that I can't get it with the 6.0. I hope he is wrong.

I put on about 30,000 miles per year empty and 15,000 miles pulling about 8000 lbs.

In my 98 2500 with the 350, I wish for a little more power when pulling the trailer, but like the mileage I get when empty. I thought the 6.0 with the same 3.73 gears would be perfect.

What kind of mileage do you get when empty with the 4.10 gears? How about pulling about 8000 lbs?
  • Options
    no 3:73's in the HD's with a 6.0...only 4:10's

expect about 12-13 mpg dry

- Tim
  • Options
    This was an early 99 LT. My chick has a Tahoe LT with the Med. Gray leather. She's had no problems. Do you have the Graphite in your rig?
  • Options
    bigorangefanbigorangefan Member Posts: 22
    i had a 98 sub with the graphite leather and also had to have the seat covers replaced at 28k and i'am only 210, that's the main reason I went with cloth on my cc.

Chris
  • Options
    Word
  • Options
    ..I have the medium Grey.....no problems..

The graphite leather interior was so dark..it was almost depressing for me......now the cloth is much brighter as it has other colors in the fiber.

I agree my 88 went 11 years for me and no problems in cloth...was barely scuffed....but not all leather is bad.

Leather warms up / cools down faster for me....and just plain feels better for me. Now what you pay for leather seating surfaces and all the rest vinyl is a little stupid....but oh well.

- Tim
  • Options
    scape41scape41 Member Posts: 1
    I placed my order on February 9th for a 2001 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab, SLE, Duramax, Allison A/T. I made sure I asked the dealer if he had allocation for another truck, because several dealers told me they couldn't even order another truck like this for months. He said he did, but couldn't give me a ball park on the arrival date. Generally it takes 8 to 10 weeks to get an ordered vehicle. Is this what I should expect on this truck or should I expect a much longer wait?

I can't wait to get this truck!! I have a 2000 Ford F-250 Crew Cab for sale if you are interested.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Oh, second thought. When I ordered my Ford last year I was able to track the entire process of my truck through Ford's VOPC (vehicle order processing center). Does GM have something like this? How can I track my truck from inception to delivery.
  • Options
    n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    Only thing i have seen posted is Customer Service phone #'s -- Silv. 800-222-1020 & Sierra 800-462-8782 which will require a six diget DEALER ORDER No. (Ex ABCD97).
    If your dealer actually has allocation your order will be submitted into the system. It will take about a month (If he has allocation) for GM CS to be able to tell you that your specific Order No. Has been 'RECEIVED' -- Next, it has to have an 'ACCEPTED' date and it will receive a TPW--'target production week'

My order to dealer was 09/05 & 'RECEIVED' date was 09/28 for example. The TPW did not get assigned untill 02/02/01 and was for 02/12/01.
    (8100/alli 4x4 LT XC SB)

From what i've been reading on your duramax- you'd better make sure of the dealer order no. and you won't know for sure if he has allocation untill you confirm a received date from CS.
    (you could try to make him tell you his distric rep person who would be able to confirm if he has the allocation but they don't like for you to know the rep.)

Maybe you'd better assume four to six months i'm betting -- if he has alloc.

Hope this helps

75v
  • Options
    I feel like Steve Martin. I FINALLY took delivery of my 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 6.0 automatic yesterday. After 15 weeks of "I'd like to check the status of an order" I know those people at the dealership are glad to be shed of me. So far I love the truck. Now that I have driven it I am starting to understand some of the other posts I have seen. This is the first vehicle I have ownwed with a 4.10 rear end and when I first started home with it I kept waiting for it to shift into overdrive until I finally realized it WAS in overdrive. This truck drives like it WANTS more weight in it. I can hardly tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gear. Maybe some of you more experienced technical types can 'splain that to me. This is also my first 3/4 ton or 1 ton or whatever it is and man oh man that suspension is nice. To sit up as tall as it does it corners and handles very tight. Compare it to a Tahoe or Expedition and you'll see what I mean. None of that "I'm about to roll this sucker" when you make turns. Definitly going to have to add some nerf bars so my kids can haul their little asses up into the back seat. About the only improvements I can think of so far is better floor mats for the front and especially the back and the rear speakers are weak. I even like the ugly black flares on the indigo blue. It breaks it up some. I got the cheap wheels cuz I knew the thing would come with Firestones or Generals which it did ( GM really pisses me off about this but what are you gonna do?). As soon as they get some wear on them (provided I live through it) I'll get some better tires and wheels. Thanks to all who have answered questions and provided info during the wait.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    I sure would like to buy your old wheels. My 2500HD is supposedly in production this week.

I live at 7,000' in the mountains of the West, and run 4 studded tires during the winter, already have the tires, just need an extra set of HD wheels.

Let us know about your mileage....

How do you like the fold down rear seat? How low is the platform when folded down?
  • Options
    live2ridelive2ride Member Posts: 2
    Happy Valentine's Day to me - I am going to order my 2500HD CC 4x4 today! It's been a long process of homework, but I've finally narrowed it down - I'm plum geeked on the 2500HD. I can't wait (but sounds like I'm gonna have quite a wait until the sucker comes in based on the messages I've read). I agree with Mark, it handles so nice.
  • Options
    of the rear seat folded down, tim...
  • Options
    I would think, although I don't know where you live, that you could put the word out at some local tire stores and probably score a set of trade in wheels cheaper than I could ship you mine from Atlanta. It's gonna be a little while before I trade anyway. I'm going to have ( read married with kids ) to live with what I have now until closer to time to replace tires. I guess I need to hope they wear out fast LOL.
  • Options
    following along with everyone waiting to get build dates and know when you all get delivery.

"Ugly Black Flairs" - Also have Indigo Blu --
    I've probably done the most B@@**ing about them.

Just getting ready to visit with my dealer with instructions to 'take 'em off' -- was going today but the d*m@n snow stuff won't stop here in central IA -- as am expecting delivery next week while I'll be vacating out to AZ for a few days so might happen before i see 'em

YOU THINK I SHOULD SEE THEM FIRST MAYBE???

Hey Ryan - Here's you chance to get even with me (:-)

75v
  • Options
    Nah, I've seen 'em up close and personal. I would lose them asap.
  • Options
    Thanks. The flares are obviously a matter of personal choice. I'm not sure I would like them on red or some of the lighter colors but the blue doesn't look to bad. From what I remember about Central Iowa ( my wife's Grandfather lives in Washington ) y'all got that dirty looking black dirt up there. So the flares may help. Otherwise there's going to be alot of blue on that truck. My advice is to at least look at them. Hell, you paid for them you might as well see 'em.
  • Options
    when I looked at the flares closely, looks like some of the paint may have been scratched. Another thing to consider if you want the truck asap and without scratches visible.
  • Options
    Here's another question. I noticed when I picked up my truck yesterday that I have a pigtail in the glove box that has something to do with the trailer wiring and brakes. I'm "ignernt" when it comes to heavy towing but I figure if I have the thing I might as well know what it does. Will somebody please explain to me how the heavy duty trailering wiring and the trailer brakes and all that work together. I understand (I think) that you have to get some kind of box to add under the dash that activates the electric trailer brakes?
  • Options
    That plugs in somewhere under the dash near the break area and hooks up to an Electric Brake Controller for 5th wheels or Tag-a-longs.

75v
  • Options
    kyarcherkyarcher Member Posts: 12
    Wonder why Chevy doesn't have the option for 3.73 gears for the 6.0 for the 2500HD? Doesn't make sense too me. I currently have a 98' 5.7L (255hp?) with 3.73 and it runs like a rabbit.
  • Options
    I think the reason is several things, first of all, the 2500HD is a heavy truck, esp in CC 4x4 for which alot of them are. Secondly the 4-80L is a power sink. It has a taller ratio in 1 by a long ways than the 4-60L, and it has a shorter overdrive of .75 compared to .70 in the 4-60L. It needs the 4.10 to compensate for the tall 1st gear. Alot of people have been complaining to the throttle required to get moving and that it seems slow at low speeds. This is because of the tall first gear. I think that GM ought to make a few drivtrain improvements for 2002. Only use 2 transmissions in the HD, the ZF 6 spd, and the Allison 5 spd. Both would improve the performance of the 6.0L greatly. Allow 4.10, and 3.73 rear ends on all motors. Have a 3.42 option on the Duramax and 8100 to improve economy by about 10%. Increase the power output by tweaking of all three engines. And 265 tires such as Michelin from the factory.

Hunter
  • Options
    thomasb2thomasb2 Member Posts: 5
    GM should have only the 6spd manual and the Allison for the HD's.They should also stroke the 6.0 liter out to 6.2 or 377 cid by using a stroke of 3.75" versus 3.62". The end result would be a mill with 400 ft. lbs. of torque and possibly more hp than the 8.1 is currently rated at. Let me decide my own rear end ratio 4.10, 3.73,3.42 or lower. For 30,000- 35,000 it should be my call.
  • Options
    Yeah, when you are spending that kind of cash, you ought to be able to choose the rear end you want within reason, and get the better transmissions. Alot of people are getting the 8100 or the Duramax just for the transmission. They don't necessarily need all the power for high speed towing, but need the 26000 lb tranny for use on the farm pulling 30k wagons at 20 mph, 15000 lb fertilizer buggies, ect. The 300hp 6.0L with the 5 gears would be great, and get better gas milage than it gets now. Now at 75 (4.10,245,.75od) I calculate 2555 RPMS, with the program I made, with the 3.73/allison, I calculate 2200 RPM even, with the stock 245, 2118 with 265. This is alot better and would improve the Milage substantially on this engine. A 350+ RPM drop would add at least 2mpg.
  • Options
    This 100 Character [non-permissible content removed] makes it impossible to share information.
  • Options
    With 4.10 4.10 4.10 3.73
    Gear 1000A 4L80E 4L60E Allison
    1 3.1 2.482 3.059 2.82
    2 1.81 1.482 1.625 1.64
    3 1.41 1 1 1.28
  • Options
    4 1 0.75 0.696 0.9
    5 0.71 0 0 0.645
    *R -4.49 -2.077 -2.294 -4.08
  • Options
    4.10 4.10 4.10 3.73
    Ali 4-80L 4-60L Ali
    RPMS 75 2418 2555 2366 2200
    RPMS 60 1935 2044 1892 1760
  • Options
    As you can see, the Allison with the 3.73, compared to the 4L80E with the 4.10, has a 14% deeper Real 1st even with the 3.73, and has a 14% higher overdrive to boot, plus, better spaced gears in between with the 5. I don't know why anyone with a SLE or SLT HD wouldn't want the Allison over the 4L80E. A 355RPM drop with stock tires at 75MPH, would increase the durability of the engine, and improve the Gas milage by 2 mpg or so, making it more competitive with the 1500 trucks, and get better than the 8100 in stead of being close in milage.

Hunter
  • Options
    kyarcherkyarcher Member Posts: 12
    It looks like you've done your homework. Think you could get the folks at GM to listen!
  • Options
    I had that prob in the ado topic....and I guess according to Titus...we are both lying?

..annoyong ain't it?

- Tim
  • Options
    I am under the understanding that the reason GM doesn't offer the Allison with the 6.0 is because it doesn't produce enough torque to satisfy the transmission. Is that correct or what is the reason? The 4.1 absolutely causes the engine to rev higher at highway speeds. That was the first thing I noticed when I picked mine up. Seems like the engine stays pretty close to 2000 rpms as opposed to around 1500 in my 97 Tahoe with the 5.7
  • Options
    What's in your glove box is a pigtail that connects from a "patch panel" beneath the parking brake to an electronic brake controller. I think GM calls the patch panel a "customer convinence box" or something like that.

The electronic brake controller ( I use a Tekonsha Sentinel) detects application of the brakes and has a little inertial sensing device along with some software which allows the brake controller to try to mimic what the truck is doing as far as braking. The controller sends voltage to the electromagnet brakes on each trailer wheel. These electromagnets operate thru a lever arangment similiar to the old style rear drum parking brakes.

You don't need the pigtail unless you tow something that has electric brakes.

Too much info?
  • Options
    That's what I wanted to know. Now, IF for some reason I ever decided to install the electronic brake controller how do you wire the box from the dash to the trailer or is that part of this heavy duty trailer wiring that the HD has? And is that somehow separate from the wiring that goes to the plug next to the receiver hitch. I am assuming that if I want to tow a small trailer like a jon boat or something that I don't have to do any more wiring to the truck just plug it up and go. Back in the good ole days with my previous trucks I always put a heavy duty flasher in to compensate for the trailer lights and blinkers. Is that necessary with the HD?
  • Options
    gulfguygulfguy Member Posts: 30
    I haven;t seen the pigtail you described but will accept the idea that it is for the patch to the elec brakes.

However, if you have the trailer package your recepticle beside your hitch is round for the extra circuits in a big camper or other trailer with brakes and all.... So How are ya gonna plug in the puny lil 4 pronged flat gizmo on your bass boat's trailer? Answer: Either you make up an adapter out of parts at the RV supply (it works but ya don't wanna do this trust me) or ya go to the GM parts counter and buy a ready made adapter that saves you trying to figure which connections and which wires go where when ya try makin up your own. If you EVER expect to pull a small utility or boat trailer... GET THE ADAPTER and keep it in your truck so its there when you need it.
  • Options
    Yeah I knew I was going to need an adapter but I never considered the dealer, duh. I was thinking hitch world or somewhere like that would probably have it. I am lucky in that there is a pretty good shop close here that sells all kinds of truck accessories like nerf bars and tool boxes and all that stuff so I may give them a look too.
  • Options
    My local WalMart has them. I'd get at least the 7-wire spade to 4 wire flat adapter. Also, if you get one ball mount and a convert-a-ball setup, you can easily switch between 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16" balls. I also have a 7 to 6 wire adapter and a 7 to 4 wire round adapter. Can pretty much show up anywhere and pull most anything.....

All of the HD's include wiring from the Customer convience box down by the parking brake to the fuse box under the hood to the back of the truck. With the trailering package, you also get a receiver hitch and the 7 wires are preterminated into a recepticle.

PS. You can build yourself a custom adapter to tie into your trailer connector for 12+ hot to run boom boxes, coffee pots,.....

On my stripper 1500, I had to purchase and run the wiring from the fuse box back to the hitch, and buy the trailer pigtail.
  • Options
    I hope. My dealer's VOM computer system has it as code 3400, "broadcast to plant". Still hopeing to see it in AZ by the end of the month.
  • Options
    I also noticed some 12vdc to 110vac power inverters at Sam's the last time I was there. Since I have the auxillary battery I might pick up one of those and build deer stands on site.
This discussion has been closed.