Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• Options
    whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    Tim was reading the San Antonio papers
    cars section - found 2 2000 LT 1500's
    2000 LS 1500's were holding value much better.

Ryan - Think the site was something like
    (guess can say it here) know could on your
    site Bullsballs.com The link was from
    the Corvette forum but so long ago can't
    find. But anyway they were accessories
    you could buy to hang on the rear of your
    truck.
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Ryan,
    on your site under "accessories\decals&stickers"

matthew
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    '99-'00 used Silverado 1500 x-cab 4x4's with 15-25k still selling for $25-$27k in our area(WI). My dad just bought a new '01 1500 x-cab 4x4 LS for $24,500-why by used?
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Oh yea

haha
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    prices here are very good on 99-00 Ado's....2500's being even better due to a smaller slection.....Z71's are flooded though..

- Tim
  • Options
    punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    I took an $8k loss in trade on a 99 Z71 LT with 58,000 on it in Dallas. Not too bad I suppose if you don't want to hassle with selling it yourself. Besides, the tax incentives are better giving it to the dealer (adds up to about $1500).
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I don't care how low the mileage is, you are not going to get anything over $23k for any 99 1500 in our area.

I live in WI too (Hudson), but deal in the Twin Cities area because of better selection.

Where exactly are you getting these figures from?

Where in WI are you. If you take a look on dealers lots right now around here, even showroom condition loaded 99's have only a $23,999 inflated sticker on them.
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I feel the same way about the C5. There are rumors that the GM bluesuits want to make the C6 smaller (cutting off some of the front end) to make them more in line with other 2 seaters out there in the market. If that happens, I guess I'll have to keep my C5 forever.

I don't understand why GM wants to always destroy a good thing (ie. Grand Nationals, Impala SS, F-bodies). More time to work on POS like the Aztek?
  • Options
    cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    My two cents - I don't have any problem with the looks of the ONSTAR antennae or its location. I just wish the cell phone option was available in this area. I am told sometime in the summer.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    kcpantherkcpanther Member Posts: 5
    Let me give some additional info for clarification. I have a 2001 Silverado LS Automatic Ext Cab 2WD short box. The vibration comes in at exactly 1100rpm according to the tachometer. It seems to be emanating from underneath. You can feel it through the entire truck. I have the factory tires on it. The vibration disappears as soon as you let off of the gas or accelerate. It only appears when you lightly step on the accelerator to maintain speed, at 1100rpm...The service manager said he has known about this for a couple of years and they have tried putting weights on the exhaust pipe and it solves the problem for a while but it returns. I haven't had any other problems with the truck. I only have 5500 miles on it. I wish I could have waited a couple of months or so to get a V8 Z71. Next time. Thanks for the responses.
    KC
  • Options
    ...i got $4,000 more for my last truck by selling it myself...

- Tim
  • Options
    bugsplatbugsplat Member Posts: 30
    I have an identical truck, only a base model vs. the LS. I only have 2k on the truck and have the exact same problem. The dealer said the torque converter needed re-calibrating, but they couldn't do it until GM sent new specs. I've seen a few others complain. Problem seems to be limited to the XCab. Let me know if you get any resolution as I am working on my dealer as well to see if they can find a fix or offer some resolution.
  • Options
    1st_z711st_z71 Member Posts: 1
    What tonneau cover is that? I have bed rails and I am trying to decide on what to get. Are you happy with the cover? I am thinking about a small company called Checker Pro, it is a flush cover.
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    It's made by "Access". I've had this model on last 3 trucks, and love it. Best "soft" design out there.
  • Options
    A follow up question. Which rear axle do have, 3.42 or 3.73? I have the 3.73, but not usre if the axle ratio makes a difference.
  • Options
    michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    I was talking to my dealer yesterday about their allocation for new vehicles and he mentioned something interesting. There's speculation in the GM world that GMC will go the way of Oldsmobile in the next 5 years or so. Apparently it's too much hassle for GM to make the same vehicle under two different names. So there's evidently thought of making Chevy more of a truck company, absorbing GMC's load and hopefully the reputation. The real kicker is that Chevy would then start to concentrate on trucks more, with lines like Impala, Malibu, Cavalier, etc., going away. I was amazed he would say anything like that, but this dealership is well connected. Anybody heard anything like that?
  • Options
    blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    it makes a lot of sense.

#1) Dual branding their trucks has never made a heck of a lot of sense to me. It just screws up your inventory and forecasting job. Unless you're going to make the two lines different (like OMC did with Johnson/Evinrude too late), the duplicate brand gives you no benefit.

#2) Chevy cars (except Corvette) are pretty lame. The new Impala, Monte Carlo lines just aren't cutting it against competing brands, even in the GM stable. Why buy an Impala when you can get a Bonneville for just nickels more?
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Here's an even better question. Why buy a Bonneville?
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    As far as rental cars go, I try for a Bonnie every time. The new Impalas are OK but nothing compared to the big bodied model they had a few years back.
  • Options
    erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    Many years ago, I was on vacation in S.F. and had a Chevy Corsica as my rental vehicle. I took it north up California 1 and was shocked by how well it handled. A year later I was on a business trip in Utah and had a Beretta. I was expecting an even sportier ride, but what I got was steering that was so vague that I was a little nervous just driving down a flat, straight stretch of I-15.

I think GM's biggest engineering problem is that they've never learned the phrase "if it ain't broke..."
  • Options
    tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    or on a dealer's lot and the actual selling price (cash in hand.) I don't know if anyone gets the price they start out asking for. Just a thought. :)
  • Options
    ...just cuz it's listed for X dollars.....don't mean they will get that....although I did. Almost everyone wants something off of the asking price....so I just ask high and leave room to deal...course is it better to post lowest and attract more that way?.....who knows...

trade in is an easier way....if you don't mind losing some money....it's a sure way to sell right away...and if it's a tough car to sell...it ain't your problem anymore.....or it's good for those who can't buy until they sell the old one.

- Tim
  • Options
    Got my 'Yota up for sale right now. The disparity between Edmund's pricing and Kelly is amazing....like 30%. Sure ain't gonna post the Edmund's price on it...NO consideration for aftermarket add-ons.

Anyway, best way I found to get nibbles on a 4WD truck is to clean it up and park it in front of Home Depot or Lowe's.

New 'rado still scheduled to arrive in two weeks. I think my watch is starting to slow down....
  • Options
    volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    Another good place to go for used car pricing is:

http://www.nada.com
  • Options
    Trading is alot easier,selling a vehicle on your own isn't easy with the prices today, most people need to finance most or all of the cost.

And when a financial institution tells a guy that the vehicle your selling is only worth so much, the guy thinks he should be able to buy the above average vehicle for an average one-my comeback to these guys is, tell your bank to buy you one like this for that price-Good Luck.
  • Options
    I was off a little, a dealer here(Fox Cities area) has a couple '00 4x4 x-cabs and they're marked at $24,900. '99's that they've had recently were $23,999. These are sticker price, and yeah, they'll drop some, but from what I've found is you can buy new trucks for less money (at these dealers) than what these guys sell used for. And what's with the prices of '96-'98 K1500 x-cabs, these are still in the $17-20K range, dealer or private sellers?
  • Options
    it does seem to make more sense to buy new sometimes...but about each 4-5K in price is about $100 a month in payment...for some people that could make the difference......

or they just plain assume new is going to be much more??

who knows..

- Tim
  • Options
    NADA's used car prices lined up nicely with Kelly, if not slightly higher. That's good for me at negotiation time.
  • Options
    gmarkhamgmarkham Member Posts: 28
    Due to glitch's or assembly delivery reasons, this product Chevy advertised in their 2001 Truck catalog never made it to the dealers. I didn't loose to much sleep as I am planing to replace my 94 ex cab Silverado with a 2002 at years end. I'm hopeing Chevy will have resolved whatever problems associated with this new box for the 2002 model year.
    Here's my problem: Wish to order my truck in July for delivery in October (maybe September) but don't want to purchase this product without seeing it or at least being able to go to a truck or car show and get that warm fuzzy feeling for the merits of this latest invention by GM. I have gone to several shows here in Los Angeles and gone to several dealers to view a sample of this elusive box. I am a new be at this chat message business and would greatly appreciate any sites, posting, crystal ball readings, opinions and any other relevant data re: Pro Tec Composite Box on Z71 models 2002 availability. THANKS
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    there are several items i took with me when it came to negotiation time. first...several quotes from several sources on both vehicles. for example, i was trading a '94 gmc sonoma for a new '00 'rado. i took:
    1. kbb printouts showing
    a. trade and
    b. retail of my sonoma

2. nada printouts showing:
    a. trade and
    b. retail of my sonoma

3. edmunds printouts showing:
    a. trade and
    b. retail of my sonoma
    c. the story of gm's 3% dealer holdback program

4. carwizard printouts showing:
    a. trade and
    b. retail of my sonoma
    c. invoice vs. msrp of the new 'rado i wanted - including option price breakdown

armed with this information, it was easy to negotiate. for starters, i had already picked the trade value (minimal) i expected to get for my sonoma and the most i was willing to pay for my new 'rado (invoice + $500). subtract one from the other and you find your "magic number". if they jack you on the trade, you reduce the amount you're willing to pay for the new vehicle. as they start playing hardball (showing you the trade value from "their" book) you show them the highest trade value you found. if they whine about selling a vehicle at invoice you say, "look here," show them the 3% holdback printout and say, "you're still gonna clear almost $900 on this vehicle because i'm ordering it from the factory. which means that it won't sit on your lot at all. even if you sell it to me AT invoice...you still make $900 - guaranteed."

i did all that because i had the time and found it entertaining - much like the banter on the tundra vs. the big 3 thread. in the future, i may end up doing what others here have recommended: send a fax to several competing dealers detailing the vehicle you want, the vehicle you have for trade (if applicable), what you expect to pay, and a note explaining that the lowest bidder gets your business. that way, you don't have to listen to a salesmen who knows less about the product than you do anyways.

bco
  • Options
    silvsilv Member Posts: 41
    I think that would be a great move by GM. It doesn't make sense having the same pickup sold under two brand names. It doubles your advertising, marketing and engineering budget for the same vehicle.

However, I don't think GM should get rid of Chevy cars. Yea, they're in a slump as far as design quality goes but they should pump more resources in and bring the cars back up to speed with Ford. Chevy is GM's bread and butter brand and thats the way it should stay, the same way Ford is Ford Motor's bread and butter brand. Who would take over the "normal" cars? Pontiac is more of a performance brand. Buick and Cadillac are more of a yuppie brand like Mercury and Lincoln.

Plus GM would need Chevy cars to keep the Chevy brand alive in NASCAR. And I don't think Chevy is ever leaving NASCAR.

Silv.
  • Options
    They need more performance cars

monte carlo
    impala

all have potential of being Performance cars

I like the new style montes
  • Options
    Anyone have any experience with nerf bars made by "Wildcat Flash". You can pick up a set of chrome ones on ebay for about $200.00, plus shipping. The dealer says they are comparable in quality to the Westin, which is exactly what I would say if I were selling them. LOL.
  • Options
    I have the 2001 1500 Xcab, V-6, SB, auto, and have the same vibration as mentioned in Post #2010. Always at 1100 rpm, light engine load condition, doesn't matter what speed/gear. Just took an extensive ride with the service tech and he indicated it felt like the "harmonic balancer" in the engine may be a little off in certain conditions, causing the slight engine vibration. Indicated he could "disable" the balancer, or try to adjust, but usually that would result in the engine having a slight vibration at some other RPM, usually at idle. He said the the current vibration, nor the disabling of the balancer should have any impact on the longevity of the engine. His recommendation was to keep driving and see if it got better/worse and come back in. Really seemed like the guy was being pretty straight with me, but most BS artists appear that way or they wouldn't be sucessful would they. I only have 2600 miles on it, so have plenty or warranty period left to "wait and see". Any advice??
  • Options
    n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    I have seen Composite Box on the sport side on lots,'00 & '01's.

75v
  • Options
    Nope this is a new option not what the sportbox is made of
  • Options
    gmarkhamgmarkham Member Posts: 28
    I'm still hopeing someone can answer my post #2029. The Chevy truck catalog for 2001 illustrates this box as a fleet side version available only on the Z71 version. I already know it never (so far) made it to the dealers on any of the 2001s. I really want to know three things. #1, availability for 2002 model year? #2 Why is Chevy only offering it on Z71 models? #3 Will I have to carry around two sacks of concrete in the unladen bed to compensate for the 50lb weight reduction compared to a regular bed, so the rear end doesn't get squirley on me?? C'mon guys I know someone out there has some answers. THANKS
  • Options
    The rear end should be fine your gettting the Z71 pkg so if it rains or snows (assuming you are getting autotrac) you can pop it in auto 4 wheel and you wont slide around.
  • Options
    should be dumped...but what do Olds/Buick/Pontiac Dealers sell for trucks then??

...if Chevy was the only truck...and could be sold thru any dealer.....I think Chevy dealers would be pissed and screwed!

I think there should be "GM" dealers...not Chevy..Olds...Buick....ETC....

then the best survive...and we get better service...

but yeah....dump GMC

- Tim
  • Options
    GM all 1 unit not little branches
  • Options
    tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Hey, I kinda like my big mouth bass. LOL

Tom
  • Options
    I forgot about that one.....who was the originator of that?...Dean?

- Tim
  • Options
    sierra2500hdsierra2500hd Member Posts: 32
    Yeah, you Chevy owners gotta throw your digs in at us GMC guys cause you're jealous. I mean come on, the GMC has the better looking front end. The lights on the Chevy are all thin and that stripe across the grill is weird looking. The big mouth bass is pretty bad looking if you ask me.

Good luck on this one now!

Anyone say something about Pergo?
  • Options
    Not to mention that we have a two wrinkle hood as opposed to those cheaper hoods on the Chevy's....

Folks that manufacture our GMC's are "professional"...

And how about that distinctive grill on them GMC HD ones now?

Good luck on this one now...

LOL
    Tom
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    that big mouth bass grill gets you an extra 5 hp. but that "stripe" and bow tie will pull more...tail that is... LOL!

bco
  • Options
    At least 5 extra horses...maybe more! LOL
    BTW, I keep a copy of your lube point photos in my glove box to settle arguments. Good piece of work there! Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    sierra2500hdsierra2500hd Member Posts: 32
    Darn, is that all it is? I heard the z71 sticker adds 10. I'm gonna see what I can do about getting my money back now.
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    #411 of 412 silverado junk by jrohr1 Mar 30, 2001 (10:25 pm)
    I thought I had bought a quality truck at first just like everyone else with only 2000 miles on it !! What I didn't know at the time is that I bought JUNK.
    The main problem is the cold knocking prob. First they said it was the OIL FILTER, then they recarbonized the pistons. The noise came back about 3000 miles later. Then they said it was the type of fuel I use, and they once again decarbonized the pistons. Then I contacted the B.B.B NOW, after filing a claim, the chevy rep. says

"THE WRONG SIZE PISTONS ARE IN MY ENGINE"

They ofered to fix the prob. and give me a warrenty to 100000 miles. ( zero ded. )
    or
    buy it back
    or
    let me pick out another vehicle .

call the B.B.B. people, don't let them B.S. you !!!!!!

The other problems I've had are: doors don't close in cold weather
    steering shaft prob.
    pinion seal replaced
    driveline noise ( they replaced transfer case oil............)
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Just the same, I hope this is nothing more than an ugly rumor. I've always preferred the styling of GMC over Chevy. I simply can't envision a world without a GMC pickup.
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    did BCO finally run you outa the big 3 room? LOL
    and how do you "recarbonize" an engine. inquiring minds want to know.

-
    red
This discussion has been closed.