Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• Options
    tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Since GMC is the original Truck in the GM family, and because it used to be heavier and better built than the Chevy ( up until the 50's, I believe), the plan I have read about is to remake the GMC brand the "premium" truck line-up. The Chevy will be more targeted toward the "work" market.

Wonder if they will offer the extended warranty to Chevy buyers, when they discontinue Chevy trucks...kinda like they did with Oldsmobile??

LOL

Tom
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    the GMC's have their own distinctive look. in certain colors and with the billet grilles, i think they look great. my .02's

-
    red
  • Options
    I wish the difference could be seen from other than the front. I prefer the GMC in all except the HD--Chevy looks better in the HD line, I think.

Tom
  • Options
    ad2avitad2avit Member Posts: 12
    Chevys bow tie is obnoxious. I'm buying a 2001 or 2002 duramax 3500. If GMC folds, I'll buy a Ford PSD.
  • Options
    sierra2500hdsierra2500hd Member Posts: 32
    How do you figure the HD is any different than the LD when it comes to differences? The only difference is still the front end. The rest of the truck is identical. I really like the front grille on the GMC HD vs. the LD. I guess to each their own, huh?

As to the Bow tie, that's an awfully odd approach to choosing a vehicle. You'd switch to a Ford simply because of a bow tie? I mean, I like the GMC a little a better too, but it would take a heck of lot more for me to switch to Ford because of an emblem. It would probably take a lot of drugs and high doses of alcohol to make me do something so drastic.

Lou
  • Options
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    of Guinness couldn't solve. Course you have to live with it once it wears off....lol!! The ford that is...
  • Options
    Actually I'm prejudiced against Chevy for listing the Allison as a $2 Grand option when it is listed as a $1+ Grand option on a GMC. I know this involves marketing options- but it is still BS and I don't like it. PS my best car ever was a '69 Chevy Impala with the rear concave window.
    Paul
  • Options
    I think the reason I like the ChevyHD is that the grille seems much more open and aggressive than the Chevy LD. This seems to make it easy to tell them apart. I agree with you that the front of the GMC HD is preferrable to the LD, but the difference is pretty subtle. I think that's why I prefer the Chevy HD--It's obvious it's a HD.
  • Options
    well said........i thought i was the only one that saw them that way. at least Chevy had the sense to give the HD it's own distinct look. i guess the Bowtie division knows what we want and is there to make us feel like a rock. or give us a rock.(you gotta think about that one)

-
    red
  • Options
    fishngolffishngolf Member Posts: 4
    I just bought my first chevy. I had many fords in the past, but decided that the Silerado 1500 extended cab LS in pewter with the 5300 was the best choice. I got it at invoice and they are throwing in the tow package to boot. Does anyone have any advice on which chrome step bars, fender flares, spray in bed liners, bed cover, and bug deflectors are best for this truck. I want function and style for good looks pulling that bass boat and heading for the golf course.
  • Options
    My .02:
    1. PUTCO (get stainless--more$, but worth it.)

2. OEM--someone has a set for sale on one of these boards. Do a search.

3. Line-X

4. someone else will have to advise here

5. Lund Interceptor

Lots of different ideas, these are just my preferences....May your titlest hit a 15lb. largemouth, rendering him unconscious, and continue on to find the hole, from the tee on your next par 3 over water...(ie. good luck and enjoy!)
    Tom
  • Options
    gmarkhamgmarkham Member Posts: 28
    Still waiting for answers on post #2029 and #2037. I can't seem to tear you guys away from Beer, Bass, and Golf long enough to get some answers to my posts. Anyway it's all about 200lb pluss Yellowfin Tuna at Clarion. Got me a 205lb back in January.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    No knows thats why you are not getting a response.

Rough guess itll be out sometime in the next 5 yrs

Did i hear a question about bed liner, bug deflector, nerf bars, and FENDER FLARES?

Just check out http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

that will answer all your questions

Ryan

• Options
    Seems like everyone around here sells the speedliner with kevlar, and the perma-tech spray in liners. Anyone with any experience with these? Tom, I spend plenty of time hunting for my ball in the woods, fishing it out of the water, and then finally golfing. I can't figure out why that Canadian flag is flying over me when I'm down here in Atlanta. I guess I better check my preferences.
  • Options
    you have fun when your on the course right?

thats all that counts
  • Options
    chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    How would a body repair be done on the composite? Something like on the corvette? Would it affect insurance? I question whether the benefit of having ding resistance is worth the risk of trying this new technology. Does it become brittle over time? Would it tend to crack where it attaches to the frame? I would want to see it working a few years before trying it.
  • Options
    enquiring minds really want to know....

Good luck on this one now!!

Seems more like not only do we lack info on the bed...also, since we already own the trucks, it is not in the interest of the many to seek the info out....making the bed a moot point...unless someone plans to trade a year old truck....just for the bed...
  • Options
    what the heck does that mean?

-
    red
  • Options
    defined by websters as "deprived of practical significance".
  • Options
    They said fixing of the box is vey easy and takes considerably less time to fix over the current box.

They tested these pickup boxes in some coal mines i read a few months back. They were torture tested
  • Options
    willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    I have two months now on my Permatech liner with no complaints. I believe all the major manufacturers of spray-ins are good, what matters most is the guy putting it on your truck. I've seen quite a few thin applications regardless of brand. The guy that did mine takes pride in giving you the best job possible.
  • Options
    roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    Check out an LS vs. LT Silverado HD. You'll see that on an LT the Allison is only $1+K like on the GMC. The reason it is $2+K on the LS, is that the LS comes standard with a manual, so you have to pay the full $2+K for the Allison. Whereas on the LT, you have allready shelled over the $1+K for the regular automatic which is included in the LT package, so they only charge you the additional $1+K to go with the Allison. I am sure that is the same difference you are seeing on the GMC. The GMC you were pricing must have had the automatic as standard equipment, i.e. the first $1+K was allready built into the price, so they only charged you the $1+K difference. You are paying the whole $2+K for the Allison any way you do it, part of it is just hidden if the regular auto was standard that is all.
  • Options
    michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    I've resisted saying it in the past, but I can't take it anymore.

The OEM fender flares for the Silverado are a sick joke. Could they possibly have found anything less attractive to stick on there? Find a piece of 1/2" foam pipe insulation and jam it on. Looks about the same and much cheaper than $140.

The local dealership here had a 1500 dressed up with nerf bars, deflector, window air deflectors, etc.,.....ALL aftermarket, even the fender flares. Noted.
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    though ryan and i share many of the same accessories, you may find some additional info on my site, so i'll throw the url out:

http://www.picturetrail.com/bco

in addition to pics of westin platinum cps nerfs, wade bed rail caps, line-x utr spray-in, bridgestone dueler at's, and bilstein hd shocks you'll find some helpful maintenance tips, and a section showing my new sound system installation (replaced everything but the head unit). questions? drop a message in the guest book.

bco
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ....uhhhh...you mean that same plant the Chevy's are made?..by the same workers?

...do ya actually think they hace a seperate plant?

...course the Chevy's get lock washers though..

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Yeah, saw that quote and accidentally spit soup into my keyboard.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip on pricing Allison Trans. The way I priced the difference was with Chevy 3500 LS vs GMC 3500 SLE. Both have standard trans as Base with allison costing 2295 on LS and 1200 on SLE. The bottom line difference with the same options is the GMC SLE $383 more on MSRP due to $1478 higher Base.
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Line-X -- Definitely
    OEM (pre 2001 / paintable) Flares
    OEM = Lund Bug Guard
    EXTANG works well for soft cover; A.R.E for hard.

-- Don
  • Options
    Sorry just wanted to throw out my site to see pics.

Next time ill add yours didnt even think about it

Hey how come you have been so quiet at my site?
  • Options
    Thanks fella's for your $.02 on the accessories. Now for a more important question. What is the proper way to break in that 5300. I have heard that you should drive at various speeds and under 60 for the first 1k. Any truth to that? Also, for the first oil change, what do you think about mobile 1 synthetic? Is it really worth the $$$$$.
  • Options
    First 500 miles

NO TOWING or CRUISE CONTROL

vary the rpms dont stay at one speed to long

Thats what i did with mine. 2795 changed the oil

at 9K i changed to mobil 1
  • Options
    parkpointerparkpointer Member Posts: 4
    Just posted to another column at this site when a friend stopped by and told of a recent cure to some of the vibes felt at the steering wheel. He had his truck down to the local tire dealer and they balanced his aluminum wheels (3 of which were out of round) then had the tire and wheel combo rebalanced. Result: much improved feel, and less vibes at all speeds. Guess they will have another customer, my hands fall asleep within 5 to 7 miles on my way to work, just 11 miles away. Don't know if any of you have tried this as an aid to reducing the vibes?
  • Options
    steering column vibs/rattles = bad steering shaft
  • Options
    silvsilv Member Posts: 41
    "Silerado 1500 extended cab
    LS in pewter with the 5300 was the best choice"

LOL, I don't know but I think thats the most popular pickup on the road (brand+color+options). Mine is also a Pewter 1500 LS with the 5300 engine.

Anyway I second the Linex recommendation for bedliner.

Silv
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I looked at your stereo installation pictures. I know it's a big job doing that type of work, I've done it several times. I'm curious about the RCA cables hanging out of the head unit hole. I assume these are the input to the amp, does the factory head unit have RCA output jacks? That would be suprising since it has an internal amp. I've assumed if I want to add an amp I would have to use speaker level outputs which isn't so great.

What do you think of the Legacy amp? Is it clean, like no background noise (hiss)?
  • Options
    legacy amp is good. no background noise or hiss, no. as for the rca's - no, none in back of the factory deck. yes, i had to buy two gizmos at the stereo store that spliced into the speaker outputs and have rca "ports" in them. one for the fronts, one for the rears.

i think your suspicion may be right about the speaker level outputs because i haven't yet been able to achieve the sound i want. red suggested i swap the leads on my front 6's because i'm getting too much bass to them. tried that and didn't like it. will most likely get a cross-over network that limits the bass to the fronts. if i can eliminate the bass distortion in the fronts at high volumes, i'd be happy as a pig in slop.

bco
  • Options
    Break-in & Oil --
    Agree with Ryan. Mobil-1 is great, but avoid it until you get past somewhere over 5K miles. There's a school of thought that says it's too slippery to allow proper break-in. Certainly used to be true; don't know if it still is, but why take chances.
    -- Don
  • Options
    Sorry, don't know what speakers or front end you're using, but Dyna-mat over the door sheet metal under the speakers, and XTC foam baffles go a long way in helping the front door bass problem.
    -- Don
  • Options
    smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
    Too slippery for break in? Why do Corvettes and Porsches come from the factory with it? I see no downside to changing to synthetic oil with the exception of the cost of course.
  • Options
    that kyle is experiencing will not be eliminated by adding Dynamatt. have done my entire truck with Dynamatt (as has Obyone) and this material is not intended for eliminating bass distortion. nor will adding baffles be of any help. as a matter of fact, most speakers for automotive use are designed for use in an open area such as a door for proper performance. the only time most guy use baffles is when they are used in kick panels and they are then glassed to produce maximum results. the only reason that most guys are using baffles is the protect the door speaker from water that leaks in from rain or when washing the vehicle. and when used in that manner, they are usually cut in half (bottom portion removed) to keep sound enhancement at it's peak.

kyle did you ever confirm what we spoke of in relation to the ohm loading?

-
    red
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Thanks for the information bco, I was afraid you were going to tell me that.

Regarding the bass problem, if it is just too boomy or has a strong resonance, then adding baffles and insulation may help. Unfortunately you can't add much because the window still needs to work. If the speaker is distorting, and it's not due to pushing the amp past its limits, then the speaker is probably under-rated to handle the power. Don't put too much faith in manufacturer's power ratings, and totally ignore "peak" or "max power" ratings. You can reduce the bass as much as you wish by adding a series capacitor. Send me an e-mail if you want details.
  • Options
    the window never comes close to the front door speaker in theses trucks. LOL. where'd you come up with that anyways? having installed a set of 6.5" Momo's, i should know, and if you knew anything at all, you'd tell kyle that the Delco is the source of the problem as have many guys that talk on the audio forums have found out. the Delco radio is an extremly bassey unit.
    BCO try this place for the problem you are seeking to adjust,
    www.caraudioforum.com
    bass blockers(aka capacitors) will also reduce volume.

-
    red
  • Options
    no need to get in a pissing contest here. red, as far as the "ohm loading", i'm not sure. i did flip the leads as you suggested...didn't work. my next choice was going to be the cross-over network. would like to do the new head unit...but i'm pretty short on available funds right now.

thanks to all for your suggestions!

bco
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    that was causing me to crank the treble all the way up to get rid of some of the bass. I replaced the rear speakers in my 2500HD Crew Cab with some made by Boston? (I already forgot what brand) That sems to help a little. Any way I have been out of the "audio" world for a while, but I had a little Clarion equalizer/power booster in my '83 that did a pretty nice job. Do they still make those things? All I have noticed lately are the amps that look like they could launch the space shuttle.
  • Options
    blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    Only downside is the cost.
    There is no upside either.
  • Options
    no pissing on my part, just stating facts. you've mentioned that you were short on funds in the past, and i wish i could help ya, but the only thing i pointed out is that the Delco(when amplified) is going to produce an undesireable amount of bass. problem is that you are still sending a signal to the amp from the HU which is not really set up for RCA's. sure you have the high level converters, but even they cannot eliminate the high bass output that the Delco produces. you are however, on the right track with the crossover added to the current system.

-
    red
  • Options
    kcpantherkcpanther Member Posts: 5
    I took my 2001 V6 LS Ext Cab in for an oil change yesterday and told them once again about the vibration and noise at 1100 rpms. They told me they could put dampeners (weights) on the exhaust to try to solve it. Turns out all they had to do was reposition the transmission fluid dipstick. There is still a slight vibration at 1100 rpms but nothing near the noise it made before they repositioned it. They said it was just hitting something when it started to shake. Things seem to be much better now. I will keep you posted.

KC
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    I went with Mobil's new semisynthetic at first oil change of 800 miles (and a PF59). Gonna run that for the next couple of changes...

Not sure if Mobil 1 helps much, but what the heck, I live high in the mountains where temps change 40 to 50 degrees daily, and figure the more uniform viscosity might help.
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    What is it and what will it do for the sound in my Chevy Silverado?
This discussion has been closed.