Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Does anyone know where I can get my headlight fluid changed out? Oby: does Lubriplate make a synthetic for this?
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    #2196.....great pic..looks great.....although not a good I dea to post your license plates on the net....just an Idea..

Here to help

- Tim

...ahh...air...I still have the winter air darnit!...(they actually do change from season to season in PSI....just have to check them once a week....main reason my Fstones (Steeltex) look brand new almost 32K later)
  • Options
    blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    License plates showing..... why not?

I parade them up and down the roads all the time for all to see. Who cares if someone on the internet sees them?

Hans
  • Options
    scootter31scootter31 Member Posts: 31
    Hans,
    Wax looks great!

I'm just wondering if you had any problems with metric air in American tires?

here to help :)

Scott
  • Options
    I use Canadian air. Works great in metric sized tires.

Hans
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Some Responses:

Tim - no Vert this time - I wanted that 25 Cubic Ft of cargo space behind the seats. Although they are making the Vert trunk a little bigger these days, its still wasn't enough for me to go with.

Ryan - MSRP is $48.5 (add another $7k for vert). We met halfway between invoice and list.

Red - Isn't Zaino great? Mine is in the mail as we speak.

Titus - Are you still driving your wife's car? When are you going to get your own minivan? (without the playpen in the middle seat) RLOFL!

Thanks guys! Later.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    not that bad of a price. Maybe one day. I can dream cant i?
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    fellas, thanks for the reminder on the muffler bearings. one thing on the air...make sure you change the air in your spare too. we had an early flash of summer here in south cackalacki last week...'twas up in the mid-high 90's so i put the summer air in. this week...back in the mid-70's. trucks running all "mushy" now. gotta see if there's any gas stations still carrying spring air. LOL!

eric - you can pick headlight fluid up at most places that carry horn fluid. very similar substance in fact. word on the street has mobil one working syn variants that will last in excess of 300k miles!

here to help those who are kicking themselves for listening to the help of those who want to help but should really just be quiet.

joe...nice car. someday man...someday...

bco
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Muffler bearings, great joke guys ;)

Hunter
  • Options
    what joke?

we are serious!

Hans.....just that you advertise what ya got...and make it easier for someone to find you and yer stuff....(all the net is not all good people)

probably no problem...but ya never know..

Vette Convert....ahhh....some day too...when it makes sense and I have no need for a truck...couple years or so...I shouldn't need the pick-em-up....so a burb will work well.....later in life...vette ragtop.....but that special red they got now (what's it called again?)...torch red?......ohhh man...makes ya wanna get one now!

believe it or not....sometimes I am practical....well..kinda.....besides...we got 4 cars now!...and 2 just sit winters and most of summers!

gotta simplify some more

...local dealer had a 1500HD CC if anyone cares....

- Tim
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Canadian air works great since all the speed limits are metric...besides they got the real Labatts Blue

matthew
  • Options
    titus2titus2 Member Posts: 6
    i don't know why i even bother to help people here. all i see is a bunch of wanna be truck owners creating a poor atmosphere in here.

thanks Hunter for at least pointing out that the muff. bearing is a mere joke.
    it's ok though cause i'm not letting anyone get to me this time, and when i'm neede, i'll be here.
    Rick
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    titus2

You have up to 30 minutes to edit your posts in case there are any typos and such.

Good luck on this one now.
  • Options
    wannabee truck owners?

So wheres your pictures?

Mine can be seen at http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

• Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Oby - I fell out of my chair - LOL!

Tim - its Magnetic Red. Wouldn't ya know it, the two best colors, you have to pay extra for. Also, no need for a truck? Are you drunk? We always need a truck. 6 months (this summer) will be the longest I've ever gone without one. Well, the wife has the Expedition, but thats not a real truck.

PS - if you guys ever get the chance to drive a C5, don't pass it up. It is better than you could ever imagine. Problem is though, once you drive it, your hooked. After that, its just a matter of time.

Excuse me now, I have to go for a ride!!!
  • Options
    Ok...when you are needed you will be here.....meaning when you are not needed....you won't be here....

hmmmm

needed or not boys?

...wannabe's?...uhhhh..how about people who can actually live life and have fun.....while helping others?

I've seen all my other online friends trucks....where is yours?

here to raise hell

- Tim
  • Options
    joelis-

Glad you enjoyed. LoL!!

Where are all the Z06's that are supposed to come out on the market? Was talking to my dealer...he said to look out of state....if I want one.
  • Options
    and the vette....pretty sure it was torch red.....very cool metallic effect...

- Tim
  • Options
    look outta state haha

what are you gonna do drive up the road to the next state to check out a dealership?
  • Options
    michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    What happened to the titles for message??? And I saw that "newbie" shot way back there!

I take delivery of the new Silverado in 2 hours! I can't believe how slow my watch is moving!

By the way, on that tire air debate: It is always important to have the right air in the tires for spring, winter, snow, Canada, etc. But did you all know that you have to cap it correctly also? It is very important to screw the stem caps on and off with the RIGHT hand since they have a right hand thread. And don't forget to clean your air filters with ram air.
  • Options
    I have an '01 LT 5.3L auto 3.73 locking rear and traction assist.

Somewhere I recall reading that the computer would 'learn' your driving habits (leadfoot, smoothie, or whatever) and build a 'personality' for transmission shift points, etc.

Is this a fact? And if it is, can you defeat it?

Hans
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    GM calls it Passive Shift Stabilization. Now who knows how it really works? It seems to shift okay for me, most times so perhaps it has adapted to my way of driving. (Or the other way around?)

Anyway, no...you can't defeat it, but you can use the tow/haul mode for more aggressive shift behavior.
  • Options
    Wonder if you can "retrain" it? I'm usually pretty mild-mannered on the throttle, but there are times when I want to "get on it", and this "passive" behaviour is a RPITA.

Hans
  • Options
    obiggsobiggs Member Posts: 33
    The dealer is out of stock and wants $28.00 for one. Where can I get an after market filter?. I've
    cleaned mine two times already. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I haven't heard of an aftermarket cabin air filter.

The dealer price is for 2 filters in one box. When you cleaned yours, did you clean both of them?

Mike L
  • Options
    $28 isnt bad i spent $36 for the 2 filters
  • Options
    wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    I read somewhere recently that Purolator was going to have an aftermarket filter out soon. The AC part number is CF104, if you are cross-referencing. I just changed mine for the first time the other day after 19,000 miles - really dirty and had some mold on it. I think they are worth changing on a regular basis.
  • Options
    The cabin filters seem to be a scarce item. No dealer stocks them. Special order only. Asked the parts manager how come? says no one uses them...how's that one.
  • Options
    punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    Ryan (and others)

The chart at http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html indicates that with your upgraded 285 75 R16's, when you are going 100 mph, your speedometer actually reads 96.40 mph (when compared to the OEM 265 75 R16's). I know that the Silverado's have a governor set around 97 mph. So...Is that governor based on the actual speedo reading or something else?

Using this logic, it appears that increasing tire size will let you "squeak" a few more mph out of the truck, maybe to 101 or 102mph. Can anyone attest to this?

• Options
    It also extends your warranty.
  • Options
    I didn't think about that. Ends up extending almost 1300 miles...
  • Options
    I corrected the speedometer for the 285's with the HPIII. So mine is reading correct.

Ryan
  • Options
    be sure and remove all three screws from the plastic cover. i've seen guys break that cover by only removing two of the screws, and then deforming the cover to get to the filters, not a good thing. best thing to do is to let dealer perform this service.
    here to help
    Rick
  • Options
    if you are trying to extend warranty by using larger tires and not resetting the speedo, then you are going to foul up other things like fuel ratio and so on. who came up with this rediculous idea anyhow?
    here to help
    Rick
  • Options
    Let the dealer do it?

Took me about 15 min to replace my cabin filter.

Very simple and easy to take the old one out and put the new one in

Ryan
  • Options
    What exactly are you helping with?
  • Options
    whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    Just went through this a couple of month ago.
    Got a good deal on the filters because the
    local dealer is sponsoring the vette club and
    gave us a 25% discount.

Just remove all the screws 4, down comes panel,
    release filter clips, pull out two filters.
    Not worth paying dealer $30-50 labor
  • Options
    wasn't there some moron here awhile back who said you have to remove like the whole center console and such? LOL! whatever. 15 min job. if you want instrux, check out my pic trail site. i think it's in the "general maintenance" album.

nothing wrong with letting the dealer do it, but it's definitely not something to be scared of either. especially if you own a socket set and understand how to operate it. teeheehee.

something tells me the reason someone isn't so feisty this time might have to do with the fact that his girlfriend is nowhere to be found...

bco
  • Options
    ...general maintenance album. here tis:

For reference, what you see at the top of this picture is the bottom of your glove box. To check/replace your cabin air filter, remove the screws at #'s 1, 2, and 3. the entire plastic cover below the white dotted line in the picture can then be pulled down. but do so gently, as it will still be attached in the back. from here, reference your owner's manual - it will show you how to disengage the clip that holds the filter elements in place. replacement elements can be purchased from your dealer's parts department and run about $28 for a box. a box contains two elements - enough for one change. so yes, once you get the first element out, don't quit...there's two in there.

here to disprove silly theories like, "best thing to do is to let dealer perform this service."

bco
  • Options
    I did the change without loosening your #1 screw. Everything is so flimsy....sometimes I wonder about these trucks.
  • Options
    jetdriver2jetdriver2 Member Posts: 6
    Greetings:
    My first post here. Purchased a 2001 2500 HD LS last week. 8.1 liter, allison tranny, Calif model. I put 1000 miles on it so far. I love this truck. Has anyone heard of a problem with the master cylinder (brake) leaking. Either they spilled fluid when it was service, which I doubt, or it has a bad gasket. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My mileage has been averaging 11.5-12.8 unloaded with which I am very happy.

Also, does anyone know where to get a deal on the factory service manuals. They want 120 u.s.d. in the back of the owners manual for one.

thank you.
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    bco, you say to release a clip to get the filters out. I've heard others say that too but mine is different. I had to remove a screw (English, not metric) from the rear of that skinny piece that seals the filter opening. I guess they've changed the design a little. early 2000 2500
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    No problems with the master cylinder. Just watch the resevour level to see if you have a leak.

No such luck on the manuals. You have to buy them from Helms, it's a sole source deal so there is no cheaper source. www.helminc.com
  • Options
    How do you tell whether a screw is metric or english?
  • Options
    I too had to remove a screw towards the back

Ryan
  • Options
    Ryan,

What's an HPIII, and where can I find more info? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    HPIII is the Hypertech III unit. Found here:

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/

• Options
    what rear end?...4:10 or 3:73?

..and yeah Kyle....there was a guy that said remove entire console ro replace the filter....and I think he is back to help!

- Tim
  • Options
    michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    I got my truck. I got my truck. I got my truck. I got my truck. I got my truck. I got my truck. I got my truck. I got my truck.

And I'm a happy guy. No rattle or squeaks...(yet).

Sure wish I'd bought the constant-level gas tank though. Refilling it can get expensive.
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I'm looking to put my first coat of wax/polish on my 2001 Silverado two-tone (white over pewter) soon.
    Do you guys have any recommendations on a good brand for a white truck?
    Any comments about using Zaino on a white truck would be greatly appreciated too.

-David
This discussion has been closed.