Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII

Comments

• Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    One interesting thing I've heard about Zaino is that it is a polish and not a protectant. If you leave your vehicle outside Zaino may not be the best bet for you. I'm in a similar position with my Miata. Meguair's (SP?) website has a neat feature where they give you a prescription for caring for your vehicle. It's worth a look, they have a good reputation.
  • Options
    obiggsobiggs Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Guys, I was told by dealer only 1 , I'll check for the other one tonight
  • Options
    wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    Both filters are side by side in the same air plenum. When you open the cover, 1 filter will drop straight out and you have to pull the other one out - its toward the front of the truck.
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    You did get the constant level gas tank. It is little known, but it is a STANDARD feature of all Silverado's.

You activate this feature by removing the ignition key. Check your owner's manual for more details.

Mike L
  • Options
    blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    I use Zaino's on both my rides (2001 Silverado and 2001 Bonneville). After a long hard winter up here with snow/salt/ice/sanded/spring-slop roads, both vehicles were still beading water this spring. The Silverado sat outside 100% of the time. After a thin "refresher coat" last Saturday, the vehicles absolutely glow, even though the protection still was fine.

Below is part of the description from the Zaino web page. From my experience over the past couple of years, they speak the truth.

Hans

- - - - - - - -

Z-2 bonds with the paint pigment and will get "wetter," "deeper and richer" with multiple coats, it will also help eliminate swirl marks. Z-2 is a hydrophobic-based formula and contains no abrasives, harmful silicone oils, or yellowing carnauba wax. Z-2 is the easiest and quickest polish you will ever use, it will not streak, yellow, smear, film or leave a haze even on black, in any situation. Leaves no powder or white residue in cracks, is non-greasy, non-oily, anti-static, will not attract dust or dirt and can be applied to the entire vehicle in the sun or shade. Z-2 polish is a true paint protectant designed to replace traditional waxes. It will give your paint finish total environmental protection and is the only protectant you will ever need. It will offer more protection than any wax in the industry.... You will see!!! Nothing sticks to Zaino Show Car polish. It will outperform, outprotect, outshine and outlast anything on the market today. Guaranteed!

• Options
    jaslon4jaslon4 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 chevy silverado with the 3.71 automatic transmission. Sometimes I will get a delayed reaction when I slow down and hit the gas the transmission seems like it delays and then it almost kind of kicks. Is this usual or not.
  • Options
    erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    Mike, you're only partly right: the CLGT (Constant-Level Gas Tank) is indeed standard equipment on all Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. However, when michgndr inserts a FDD (Fuel-Delivery Device) into the GIO (Gas Inlet Opening) and then pulls on the FDD AL (Activation Lever), he is completely bypassing the CLGT feature. If you go down to your local dealership and talk to any salesperson, I'm sure they will confirm everything I've just stated.

;-)
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Metric or English? Well, a metric socket wouldn't fit and an English socket did.

I was surprised because this truck is almost all metric. Made me walk all the way back to my tool box, what a burden.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You had mention screw...I pictured phillips or slotted ;-)
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..and it turned out to be an english screw...not metric!

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    The HP III sounds like the way to go, but a few questions...

Their web site at one point says that the HP III is to be used only with 92-93 octane, yet elswhere, it says that the new HP III #30006 can tune for either 87 or 93. Anyone notice significant differences in day to day (non-performance driving) between gas types?

Part #30006 works for both my 'rado and tahoe. Can I use just one for both vehicles, or do I need to buy two?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    you do not need to run 92 or 93 octane.

the recommend for best performance to run a 160 degree theromstat and 93 octane.

All i have changed as of now is tire size and it doesnt matter what type of gas i run.

The unit will only work for 1 vehicle.
  • Options
    michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Talked to my dealer about the gas tank. He said he can reset the CLGT hold point once for every vehicle I buy. Kind of like the HPIII...only good for one vehicle, but one use only. The price of the option for the CLGT at $25,457 (invoice) was too high, so I'll have to pay for gas to maintain the level manually.

Now, this Delco stereo...Something new for me with this Speed Compensated Volume. When are they going to offer the same function to offset wife and kid noise?
  • Options
    where has "here to help" been?
  • Options
    4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    Maybe checking for the muffler bearings??
    :-)
  • Options
    mblrdsmblrds Member Posts: 41
    Excuse my ignorance, but, umm, what's all this talk about "Constant-level gas tank"? Looked in my owners manual and didn't see anything. Somebody mentioned that it's standard on all Chevy Rados and GMC Sierras. So, "Whats you talking bout, Willis?"
  • Options
    hint hint nudge nudge (pssssttt its a joke)
  • Options
    mblrdsmblrds Member Posts: 41
    That's what I thought. Reread the posts and came to that conclusion. Yet, in a way, it's believable. Some vehicles that has a twin tank set up, it's possible to set it up so both tanks maintain the same level.
    CLGT would definitely be cool to have, especially with gas prices sky-rocketing like they are. Can't wait to see how high they'll go at the peak of tourist season!
    Ah well, had me going, for a little while. LOL
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Protects better than anything I have ever used. Where did the idea that come from that it doesn't protect? My black LT is outside every day.
  • Options
    If water beading is a reliable indicator, I'd say the Zaino is great. I'm ashamed to admit, but it's been a year since I've applied any and it still beads like new. Truck is outside always.
  • Options
    I saw a Jet brand programmer in the Performance Products catalog. It will recalibrate the speedo and only costs $150.
  • Options
    punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    I've noticed that the Hypertech is about twice the price of the Jet, but the HP III appears to offer a little more also. Haven't heard anything from Jet owners out there....
  • Options
    as the HPIII offers a little more variations in the reprogramming. Similar to a PROM vs. ROM.
  • Options
    bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    I see your still here babling on.........
  • Options
    DAD YOUR STILL AROUND HAHA

Hows the beemer? OOOPPP mean the lexus
  • Options
    To date (april 29th, 2000 - April 20,2001)

Total gallons gas used: 1004.1
    Average cost per gallon of gas: $1.51
    Total spent on gas (avg): $1516
    Average MPG (city/highway) 13.3mpg
    Total truck miles: 13,200 (rounded off)

Ryan
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    you keep track of all gas bought?

.....I thought I had extra time!

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    Man I don't want to know how much I spend on gas.
    2000 Silverado over 17,000, 2001 vette has 4,500
    miles. Can't even deduct any of it.
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    #2258 -- vince4: English or US Customary? Sorry, my dad was a machinist and I still own a set of Whitworth wrenches from my old MG and Jaguar days. Sometimes I just can't resist being an [non-permissible content removed].
    #2261 -- punjab: 2000, 4X4, ext cab, 5.3, 3:73. I've run the HPIII at both 87 and 93. Switched back and forth several times. I'm convinced the high octance setting makes a difference; to the point where I'm willing to pay the additional $0.24/gal for premium. But -- I have too much money and I live at 6000+ feet. I drive the same trucks often, as rentals, at sea level in D.C. and L.A. and found the performance more than adequate. If I lived in the lowlands or actually had to work for a living I wouldn't consider the 93 octane cost premium worth the difference. The 87 oct low end torque bump, tire size, shift firmness, and top end limiter adjustments from the HPIII alone are worth the price of admission, though.
    -- Don
  • Options
    Tim i use BCO's spreadsheet. Tracks it all very easy
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Has anyone noticed the Temperature gauge has an error on the low side? I notice my 99 Blazer with the same type gauge package has 100 degrees as the lowest reading. My 2000 Silverado has 160 degrees. The range from160 to 210 is 50 degree delta. My gauge reads slightly more than one tick off from 210. Each tick should be 5 degrees, so that is about 203 degrees. My laptop accessing the OBD2 port says that the temp stays very to 195 degrees. So I monitor the temperature during warm up and found that at about 100 degrees the gauge starts to move. I think the lower reading should be 100 degrees, just like the Blazer. If this is true, than each tick is 10 degrees, and slightly more than one tick is about 197, close enough to match the computer.

By the way, I just put $50 in the tank today! I am not looking forward to high gas prices this summer.
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    ABC, what software, and connector cables are you using?

matthew
  • Options
    jetdriver2jetdriver2 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have any recommendations on when to do the first oil change and brand/type of oil Chevy recommends? Any thoughts on synthetic versus regular oils.
    Also, I was wondering if anyone has a good online source for parts, especially GM filters.

Than you.
  • Options
    Filters - go to your local walmart/kmart i know walmart around here has the AC delcos for like $2 something

Oil 5W-30 any kinda you want

mobil 1 is a good choice.

Ryan
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    5000 miles; AC-Delco pf59 or Mobil M1-206 filter/ 5W-30 Mobil-1 synthetic, if you're obsessive about oil and filter like I am. Otherwise; any brand-name 5W-30 and filter other than Fram or its clones will do fine.
    -- Don
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    i took it off

seemed to clunk in the front end after taking off from a stop sign. Didnt like the noise seemed like it was causing wear.

Worked well however on the other hand. Just kinda scared me

....or was that related to something else. Glad to see you take the ribbing all in fun though. Regarding truck debris, I had same thing happen with my other truck but I got plate# and Company name off truck and went after them for the damage. In NY it's a state law to have load secured and covered.

Ray T.
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Here is the link for the OBD2 software. It has a lot of interesting info too.

http://www.obd-2.com/

• Options
    schiferschifer Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know how I can check the status of my 2001 Silverado order with out bugging the dealer?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Options
    87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    Call Chevy Customer Service. You must have the order number from your dealer.
  • Options
    lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Bought a 2001 ado the middle of Dec last year and was told by the dlr to come in and have the oil changed at 12-1500 miles for the first time [at their expense] then after that when the oil change light comes on. I did that and just changed for the 2nd time with 7.5k and this time I went with mobile 1 syn. I think it gives enough more protection it is worth it. go to the syn oil topic and find the link to mobile 1 and get your own ideas on the syn oil. [that is in the maintance&repair section]
  • Options
    sfishsfish Member Posts: 27
    How do people feel about Castrol oil?
    Just rotated the tires for the first time. I switched to the Dueler HL's (LT) from the Firestone passanger tires and love them, but what do I do with the 5th Tire on a steel wheel? Buy a new fancy wheel? I hear you have to be careful storing it back under the truck and not get it scratched. Any help out there?
  • Options
    Castrol oil.
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    i have the duelers as well. i considered changing the spare but decided not too. the only real reason (in my opinion) to change the spare is so that they all look the same, even if you put the spare on. problem is...i have the optional aluminum wheels and the spare is the steel wheel. i figured, screw it and left the f-stone on there. if i ever use it, i'll just be sure to get a new tire for my alum wheel pretty quickly. it'll do just fine for that.

a word to the wise for those of you who are fairly new to owning these trucks...or even if you aren't. if you've never tried to drop your spare tire it's worth taking 15 min on a saturday and getting your hands a little dirty. better to find out NOW that the factory cranked it up there too tightly and you need the dealer to get it down for you the first time than wait till you get a flat. anyways, food for thought.

for the record, i've got about 22k miles on my '00 'rado and it's seen nothing but ac delco pf 59 filters and mobil one 5w30 syn since the second oil change.

avg mileage has been: 14.25
    peak mileage: 18.5
    low mileage: 11.5

all that other stuff ryan reported i have to go home and look up...

bco
  • Options
    cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    I am another one that keeps track of all gas bought, repairs, tires, etc. on all of my vehicles. It is easy to do, gives you the true cost of your vehicle, and gives you a much better argument when you meet with the IRS folks. When I buy a new vehicle, I can give you the lifetime cost - not worth a lot, but interesting. I know that some people I have talked to have no concept of the real cost of their vehicles.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    dbn7dbn7 Member Posts: 13
    I was wondering the same exact thing!! My 01 Silverdo does what you were talking about...not all the time but when it does it gets my attention...just doesnt sound right!!
  • Options
    pjb0422pjb0422 Member Posts: 43
    A while back I took the advise of checking on the spare tire removal on my rado. I had trouble because the spare tire (P265) was bowing the plastic tube that guides the rod to the gear that lets the spare down. Got the spare down by getting under the truck and pushing up on the front of the spare with one hand while pushing the rod in with the other to line up the rod with the gear. Once the rod engaged the gear, it was no trouble lowering the spare. When I put the spare back up, I didn't crank it all the way and the spare wobbled. Didn't want that so I cranked it all the way up. Next time at the dealer I told them to fix it. Seems to be a TSB or something on it. They had to order a brace that goes between the tube and the spare. No trouble since then. So like bco says, you may want to check it out.

Phil
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    all,
    will be packing up and moving starting tonight. will be out of touch till late may/early june as we'll be vacationing in europe en route to a full-time job in the civilian world vicinity baltimore, md. ya'll take care and i'll be back when we move in to our new place. incidentally:

total miles: 22,179
    total gallons: 1507.3
    avg gas mileage to date: 14.7 mpg
    peak: 18.5 mpg
    low: 11.5 mpg
    avg speed: 35.6 mph
    mostly (~80%) "in town" commuting

bco
  • Options
    Hope you get to read this before you go

HAVE A SAFE TRIP
  • Options
    jaslon4jaslon4 Member Posts: 15
    I am glad I am not the only with the transmission problem. Now I am just wondering what to do about. So when does everyone change their oil for the first time. I am thinking of waiting until I get about 2,700 miles on mine. It wont take me long to get there either.
  • Options
    i changed mine the first time at 2795
This discussion has been closed.