Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• Options
    bjurickbjurick Member Posts: 15
    It is a net that hooks to four the anchors on the floor of the cargo area and helps to keep stuff from sliding around. My dealer, Bankston Chrysler Jeep, Frisco, TX, told me it should be included on all Libertys (sp?) but was back ordered. Wondering if anyone else had heard this too.
  • Options
    burnt_toastburnt_toast Member Posts: 7
    I doubt you'll get the dealer to give up the holdback (never hurts to try though). Since it's a rebate to them from the dealer and not a fee for you, your best bet is to say that you know they'll profit $XXX on the car even before they add to the invoice price. As for the ad fees, I believe that's a legit charge and I was quoted pretty much the same from all the dealers around here.
  • Options
    lyngolyngo Member Posts: 28
    You're right re: those fees...I tried to get them dropped but he wasn't budging. I agreed to buy a fully loaded Limited that is en route...funny thing tho, it has the CD changer (something I do NOT want...funny how that happens *rolleyes*) It is a beauty tho. The dealer gave me a mock contract showing the total price (tax/license/everything included) and surprisingly enough, he inadvertently 'forgot' to give me the manufacturer suggested discount tho it is on the invoice. So, I get to show him the error and fully expect him to discount it.

So here's the deal I got and I feel it's fair...whaddya think? shale green 4X4 Limited, 27G pkg, off road, tow pkg, sunroof and the not necessary CD changer *groan* (tho he did discount from MSRP $415 to $374...which btw, all of the options were discounted similarly) for $26,497 before the discount of $563 (less than manufacturer suggested but with all of the option discounts, I more than make out the difference. The total driveout cost (tax, license, dumb doc fee, destination) is $28,686, then subtract the discount that he conveniently forgot and the total is $28,123. sheesh, sorry for the details but I'm trying to convince myself I'm getting a great deal. Does that sound reasonable? hope so because I'm committed now. It's still less than MSRP so I'm happy.

Thanks for your negotiating suggestions burnt but he wasn't budging on those silly ad/doc fees. The way I figure it, I still got a decent deal so unless you see something I'm not (I am blinded by the excitement of getting this truck) I'm going to be thrilled!
  • Options
    If you go to the board directory here on the townhall home page, there is an 'aftermarket/accessories' board that is great! Check it out! That'll be the place to get more detailed answers re: aftermarket things tho this group is is very knowledgable so you may not need to. btw, the flame red is beautiful!
  • Options
    oops...dummy me forgot to add the $500 over invoice so the numbers work. He wasn't trying to screw me...I'm happy

disregard the previous message *red faced*
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    In mine, I got air to come out when I put the flow setting in any of the floor positions like a/c in vent/floor mode; outside air same setting and floor only setting.
  • Options
    justintxjustintx Member Posts: 21
    roamer14 try this site for mopar extras
    www.wyckoff-mopar-parts.com/exac1.html
  • Options
    wedgeguywedgeguy Member Posts: 20
    Have you tried checking Autobytel prices? I think I remember you saying you are in Southern California and that's where I am, too. I used Autobytel and they referred me to a dealer in San Juan Capistrano who offered a simple $300 over invoice. They found a car at another dealer that was very close to what I was looking for and the transaction was completely painless. There were no additional charges and the whole thing was done on the phone. You end up being referred to a fleet salesperson, so you could probably just go to any dealership and ask for the fleet department. I didn't even meet the sales guy until I went to pick up the Jeep. There's no cost for getting a quote, so it's probably worth doing and only takes 24 hours max. Which dealer are you working with now?
  • Options
    sc10sc10 Member Posts: 6
    to windbro... Is the air flow the same pressure as what comes from the dash-board vents? I tried the floor settings on the AC and Heat, and still no air in the rear.
  • Options
    That's who I did use! The dealer I got the winning quote with was through autobytel. His original quote was $500 over invoice which technically, that's exactly what I got because those little fees were part of the invoice (really added in I know) When I added all the discounts I got for the different packages, it was a wash. I really don't think I could do better with my negotiating skills. I tried to get him to drop the ad fees but he said they were required. At that point, I should have gotten up and walked out almost guaranteeing him chasing after me and prob dropping the fees but I agreed to the deal and didn't want to play any more games esp for a couple hundred dollars. I had it worked out and don't recall offhand but he really didn't profit much off me.

As a matter of fact, what I'm ending up paying is less than the original quote with the addition of the worthless (IMO) CD changer (big whoop LOL) so I'm ok with it. You definitely did better than I did with the 300 over invoice though not by too terribly much. At least not enough to make me want to slit my wrists :) btw, I agree autobytel was the best...I tried all the car buying sites and really got the best deal from that dealer.
  • Options
    It's hard for me to say if that's a good deal based on the info you gave me, but it sounds like you've negotiated the best you could. That counts for a lot. If you feel like you've gotten a good deal, you're probably right... it sounds like you know the game enough to tell if you're being taken advantage of. That being said, if you're still unsure I'd check the invoice price on your own using info available online, or a package you can buy... I bought the one from www.fightingchance.com, and I was impressed with how easy their invoice price chart is to understand (and it was exactly right about the prices).
  • Options
    it is NOT the same as the front, but you can feel it - I will check again tonight & tell you tomorrow
  • Options
    It sounds like you got a great deal. I think part of the problem is figuring out just what IS invoice price. In my case, the guy said he was giving me $300 over invoice price, but it was HIS invoice price. The Edmund's invoice price was lower, and the difference was the advertising amount. So in reality, I ended up getting about $600 over Edmund's invoice price or $300 over the dealer's invoice price. I don't think there is any way the dealers will give up the advertising.

Congratulations on your new car! What configuration did you get? Mine's a silver ltd. with the "G" package plus towing, locking diff, heated seats & the dreaded CD changer.
  • Options
    tonysracingtonysracing Member Posts: 80
    You mentioned you had a tough time squeezing your manual into the glove box. Did you notice inside the glove box there is a little shelf above the storage area for the manuals? That should free up a little space for you.

Tony
  • Options
    I posted this before, but I just got back from the dealer after changing the exterior color on my order. While I was there I asked them to formally run the numbers. I was kinda questioning the previous $300 over invoice deal we had discussed before. They just seemed too eager...
    We sat down and he started writing up the numbers. Everything was in order according to the invoice pricing I had received over the internet. We got to the agreed upon price of $300 over invoice at $26107.00 (LMTD 4x4, 27G, Sunroof, Off-road, and Tow). Then came the TT&L and a mysterious $300 charge. I asked what that was and he told me it was for prep... "You know, they check all the nuts and make sure they're tight and they clean it up real nice." YEAH RIGHT!!!! $300 BUCKS TO CHECK THE NUTS?? I made it pretty clear that the fee wasn't part of the deal and insinuated it was a deal breaker. They finally took it off and actually told me they would get the $300 from me when I buy Mopar add-ons. Good Luck! For that I'll be going to the website provided by wedgeguy (thanks!).
    Sorry to ramble, but I'm excited that part is done. Now I just have to make it through the frustration of the waiting process.

Forgot to give the total (TT&L and everything)...
    $27981.66 out the door, off the lot, and into the woods. :)

Thanks to everyone for the tips and info so far!

Justin
  • Options
    gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    The lease on my Jeep Cherokee expires in June of next year. I was wondering if Jeep gives any kind of discount if you buy a Jeep product when your lease expires. I definitely will not be leasing again and I might consider a Liberty if I could get a really good deal.
  • Options
    ryagryag Member Posts: 6
    They do give a discount,but not on the Liberty yet.
  • Options
    ok, the air comes out on all the floor settings. the strongest flow was all floor, then def/floor, then vent/floor with ac vent/floor the weakest.

I had the blower on 2 & felt it nicely on the right & left sides of the center console rear bottom area. on 3 air came out very well.
  • Options
    basepro09basepro09 Member Posts: 91
    You said you got a sport 4x4 with options. What options did you get and what did you pay? I know you paid $200 over invoice, but what was invoice?

The reason I ask, is because I think you're one of the only persons who got a sport 4x4, everyone else has gotten a Limited 4x4. Me, I'm not sure if I can afford the sport 4x4 or not, I hope so.

Also, did you get select or command trac?

Matt
  • Options
    drmoddrmod Member Posts: 11
    I just called the DC hotline and I'm now in E status (which is assembly line - frame). Any ideas how long it takes from here? Thanks in advance!

- Doc
  • Options
    snafu4snafu4 Member Posts: 9
    My Limited 4X4 has finally moved from BX to D status after 29 days. Geesh that took forever. Don't have a build or ship date yet, but dealerhsip allocation is not a problem, and the parts are gathered and ready to go. Anyone know how long it takes to go from D status to D1 status? And from D1 status to being shipped? Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks Winbro.. I picked up my Liberty Limited 4x4 last night, and the rear air worked fine (maybe the demo was malfunctioning). If anyone is looking in Southeastern Massachusetts, I would recommend Classic Chrysler in Raynham. They gave me a great deal.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen a Salsa Red with the Lt Taupe/Dk Slate interior? Opinions?

Thanks
  • Options
    You're right, if I *feel* like I got a deal then I most likely did. Just found out, I can pick it up tomorrow night! I'm so excited...I did not want to order one...patience is not my middle name. Though I would have ordered it if the one I'm getting wasn't available.

Here's the config with invoice and driveout cost...

Limited 4X4 with 'G' pkg, off road and tow groups, sunroof and yes, that not needed CD changer for $26,434...it'll be $28,686 after tax, license and a silly $45 doc fee (I'm trying to get him to delete that along with those long acronym ad fees...those total $310 so if he refuses to drop them, the total profit he made is $810...not too outrageous) btw, the invoice price is the same as FWP (factory wholesale price) yes? I think so but am not positive.

Justin re: salsa red...I really really wanted to see one because my husband did and said it is so cool...kind of an orangish red? My dealer couldn't locate one in all of Calif (I was willing to drive a distance to see one) so since he couldn't find one, I decided to go with the shale green. When I changed my preference from black to the green, he was able to find one due to be delivered this week. Just got word it'll be there tomorrow night! I'm so jazzed :) Good luck in finding the salsa red! Let me know if you see one...I was very close to ordering it without seeing but just couldn't go there ;-)
  • Options
    Do you have the Jeep brochure? If so, there's a large two page photo of the salsa red in about the middle of the book that is beautiful....great choice if you go with it! btw, the one my husband saw was sold right away before I had a chance to check it out.
  • Options
    cheryl3038cheryl3038 Member Posts: 42
    I have a VIN #!!! Just got done talking with DC, it had been over 2 weeks since I called, and now I'm at D1 status, still with a scheduled build date of 3rd week of Septmeber. Things are starting to move now!
  • Options
    mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    No Selectrac on my sport.

Options as follows:
    Sport Quick Order Package B
    Convenience Group I
    Power Convenience Group
    3.7-Liter, V6, 12-Valve, SOHC Power Tech Engine
    AM/FM Radio With CD and CD Changer Control
    Foglights For 3.7L Engine
    4-Speed Automatic Transmission
    Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass

MSRP w/destination $22,405
    Invoice w/destination $21,004
    Price $21,204
  • Options
    thodrinskythodrinsky Member Posts: 2
    I put an Autobytel quote request in on the New Jeep Liberty limited with all options but 6 disc changer and enginer block heater. The dealer contacted me and quoted a $300 over invoice deal($26,300). Then added $500 dollars for a New England based adder for advertising(Total $26,800)? Is this legit? Does anyone know? If not does anyone have any suggestions on a good dealer within 100 miles of CT? Help!?!
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I've seen this in different markets and it depends where you buy the car. I paid it but then I also paid $50 over their invoice price (which included the ad fee). It was late and I wanted to get out of there.

I am still thrilled with this purchase! My C320 is getting quite dusty just sitting in the garage. Imagine... I prefer the Jeep over the Benz.!! Am I nuts???
  • Options
    Sat I ordered a Steel Blue LMTD 4x4, Sunroof, Off-road, and Tow. I was very pleased with my color decision though I really liked the other colors too. Anyway, I was looking around the lot afterwards and there they were..... a Salsa Sport and LMTD side by side fresh on the lot. It didn't take much to convince myself that that color was pretty sweet! I've since changed my order to the Salsa. Both of the ones on the lot had the taupe interior, but I really like the two-tone of the Lt Taupe/Dk Slate so I just wanted to see if anyone had seen how that combo looked. I'm pretty excited! (which isn't good considering the wait I have ahead of me)
  • Options
    And now have a Liberty and am also completely happy with it. Of course, it's a COMPLETELY different vehicle than the M5, but can go places the M5 never even THOUGHT of going :) So don't feel too bad about your C320 sitting there all dusty. I still have a Porsche Boxster and it, too, is sitting there getting dusty. No, you are not nuts. The Liberty is a really nice vehicle.
  • Options
    You are going to love your new Liberty. Now it's time to put all the financial dealings behind you and just enjoy the vehicle. Since you live around here, and are an experienced off roader, what are some of your favorite local places to explore? I'm going to be taking mine down to Ensenada in a couple of weeks, but that doesn't really count as "off road" does it? :)
  • Options
    jrs7jrs7 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for telling me about the glove box slot for the manual. I did not see it from the drivers seat. I retract my complaints about the glove box being too small. Now have 125 miles on car got 16 miles per gallon mixed stop and go.Drives wonderfully.

Pulls to right--discussed with dealer service--he claims that he has had several Liberties with same problem and it took him 2 days to figure out that the DC specs for alignment are incorrect--anybody else heard this?
  • Options
    saw a salsa red in the buffalo NY area last weekend. looked nice. sport model w/ABS suprisingly. I wish the dealer had a red one on the lot so I coud see the comparison. lotsa orange in the salsa red though. dealer had up to 15 libertys or more; 1 limited the rest sport models.

our round trip (900+ miles) to buffalo was very comfortable in the liberty. one word of advice:
    if you're in one of thos mall type parking lots, DONT pull through to the front space leaving the rear of the liberty in the middle between the 2 spaces. I did that, and a car pulled up close to my rear end causing me to have to pull up to open the rear swing door.

did the pull to the right/left test on the interstate while travelling. on straight-aways, when I let go of the wheel, the jeep stayed straight. but sometime on more banked type grades, it did go right or left depending on what lane I was in.
  • Options
    $500 for the New England ad fee sounds high. I was quoted $320-$350 from several dealers in MA and NH.
  • Options
    are available on the website that was posted a few days ago for jeep parts. Are those the only two that are missing? Also how hard are they to put on yourself? I believe they were for the fuel tank and the transfer case.

Does anyone know whats the biggest tire that can be put under the Liberty stock?

Also, do the fender flares on the Liberty look like the same ones that are on the Wrangler? Or does the Wrangler look like it has more room in there?
  • Options
    sent me to Don-A-Vee Jeep out here in California. I've been dealing with the fleet manager and on three different vehicles he's quoted me $200 over Edmunds invoice price. I actually think he's copying part of edmunds page and putting it in his emails. They look identical. Anyway, I thought this might be a good way to go.

Matt
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I was checking out the specs on both the '02 Liberty and '02 Grand Cherokee brochures. Were you all aware that the Liberty Limited 4x4 is actually a bit heavier than both the GC Laredo 4x4 V8 and I6?

Bob
  • Options
    sent me to Don-A-Vee Jeep out here in California. I've been dealing with the fleet manager and on three different vehicles he's quoted me $200 over Edmunds invoice price. I actually think he's copying part of edmunds page and putting it in his emails. They look identical. Anyway, I thought this might be a good way to go.

Matt
  • Options
    does anyone know of a "beginner" off road trail in the Massachusetts area?
  • Options
    laboutjlaboutj Member Posts: 15
    I saw that you bought your Liberty at Classic Chrysler in Raynham Mass. When I was dealing with them, they couldn't be nicer, except that they were trying to tell me that there was only a $2000 rebate on Grand Cherokees. Then when we were trying to decide between the Liberty and the GCL, the sales manager was yelling at the poor salesman because we were taking up too much of their time with our indecision. I'm sorry, but if I want to see how much room a vehicle has, I haul the kids and carseats with me and put them in the vehicle. I'm glad you had a good experience with them, but how did you do pricewise? They were only coming down $600 off MSRP for a Liberty when I was looking (mid August). As far as offroading in Mass goes, you could try Freetown State Forest. Good luck with the Liberty, it was a FUN vehicle to test drive.

Ted
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I know I took my dad's 2WD Nissan pickup off into some heavy woods at Leominster State Park (or was it State Forest?).

Otherwise, head down the Mohawk Trail and find your own places to discover.

Also, not sure if Rutland Prison Camps are still open to 4X4's or not.
  • Options
    I posted this on the other site, but no response... any thoughts?

I test drove a Liberty this past weekend. I had the a/c cranked the whole time and at the end of the drive I popped the hood. I noticed there is some piping that runs along the passengers side of the engine compartment that must be part of the a/c because it was cold and had lots of condensation. The concern here is the fact that this piping runs along the top and the water was collecting and dripping off on to some wiring assemblies below. Has anyone noticed this positioning?? Any opinions on potential electrical problems? or are wiring assemblies pretty well sealed these days?
    Thanks
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Good deal. I had another Autonation dealer do the same thing in Washington State.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what brand and weight of oil comes in the Liberty from the factory? I've asked two different service managers and neither one had the slightest idea. I thought that was very strange, but even stranger that they didn't even know what brand and weight they used when they do an oil change! They both said it just comes out of a big drum.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    According to several automotive shows I have watched recently, the air intake is located at the top of the engine. Just about the level of the headlamps. They mentioned that you should be able to ford water up to this depth since the intake is tucked up nice and high, and far back enough to not be succeptible from small bow waves. Fording depth is most likely published in the owner's manual.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accesories message boards
  • Options
    We bought a liberty limited 4x4, with the 'G' package. Final cost was 1000 under MSRP (25625-1000=24625). The dealer also gave me a very fair price for my trade-in (91 S10 Blazer). When we started negotiating, we were told about the $400 Boston Area Advertising Fee. They said that the advertising fee was part of their invoice price, and was non-negotiable. We shopped at several other dealers, and was given the same information, so I guess its a legit cost. The final price was still $700 under the Edmunds TMV price, so I think we got a good deal.

When we first took the car for a test drive, we brought the whole family along, including a cranky two year old and her car seat. The salesperson was very patient, and didn't try to use any high pressure tactics with us. That was one of the main reasons we went back to Classic.
  • Options
    soccmom1soccmom1 Member Posts: 7
    Called DC and got a ship date of Sept. 13 on my 4x4 Limited. So what does that mean in a time frame? A couple of weeks after that to my dealer? In the worcester, Ma area. At least its off hold and waiting to be assemble! Order date of July 26th.
  • Options
    Just curious... What dealer did you purchase the car from, and what kind of pricing did you get?