Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• Options
    rvbrokerrvbroker Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the glovebox shelf tip. From a quick glance from the driver's seat I noticed the red arrow but paid no attention to the shelf. Duh...what a difference that shelf makes for the manuals.

Wedgeguy....thanks for the accessories URL. Much better prices than Mopar's brochure. Here goes all the money I saved on the Liberty deal!

Just turned 1,800 miles and no complaints. So far this a great machine to use....when my wife is not behind the wheel. Looks like she got a new vehicle...sob.
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Test drove a Liberty today. Thinking of trading my 99 Blazer. I was suprised at how solid it feels, Jeep did a nice job. Hated the gas milage. Limited I drove had 2000 miles and average on computer was 14.7 mpg. It had the same EPA rating as the JGC!

Noticed the tramsmission doesn't downshift like a GM automatic. The Liberty has to think about it and slowly downshift. Is this typical?

Also noticed the weight on acceleration. It was not bad, but expected more or more MPG.

I would not go into water up to the air cleaner height, even if it is on top of the engine. The passenger compartment is not water tight and I would bet the rear axle breather tube is not that high. On my Blazer the tube is on the rear frame rail. No other place to run them on a SUV I guess.
  • Options
    soccmom1soccmom1 Member Posts: 7
    I bought my Liberty thru Fino Chrysler in Mendon, Ma. Got for $500 over invoice. Not very generous for my trade but it was the best offer. Went to many other dealers in area also. Ordered it only becuz Libertys on the lots were loaded or mostly Sport edition. So I wanted to get the equip. I needed. Never ordered a car before sure takes a long time. My husband says by the time it comes in I could pay cash! LOL
  • Options
    I don't know which Liberty you test drove, but my Limited with all the goodies and off road & towing packages weighs 4250 lbs according to the invoice. This is a heavy machine to move (not much plastic), but I would rather buy a little extra fuel than drive a light weight tin can for safety reasons. This is a solid built vehicle. I think that you will find that the mini trip computer is not exactly accurate in the epa dept. We are getting close to 20 mpg with 1,800 miles so far.

For the life of me and I like to go off road just as much as anyone, I can not understand why anyone would want to spend $25-27K and see how deep of water this vehicle could forge. Not me. I am sure that I will probably open a nasty can of worms here. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    If you are worried about a little water from the A/C line dripping on wires ,what is going to happen when you drive in the rain or snow. All under hood wires are water resistant and electrical connectors have water tight seals on them . So have no worry about this .Also look at all the computers mounted under the hood , if water was a problem DC would put these inside the Jeep ,a little water wont hurt anything
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I happen to have somewhat of a lead foot. My trip from Long Island to N/E PA is 130 or so miles. For one third of the trip I am on interstate 84 (65 mph limit) and I usually am traveling 80 in my Liberty. I have NOT reset the computer since new (have 900 miles) and I am averaging 17.4 mpg. I DON'T really care too much about gas mileage (within reason). If some people are concerned, get a 2500 pound Corolla. This is a SOLID vehicle and I don't mind driving on the Cross Bronx Expressway now. If anyone is familiar, this highway can pass for a light trail!! At least I know I am NOT hurting the Jeep's suspension.
  • Options
    nebulasnebulas Member Posts: 10
    I have a bright silver Limited, 27G package, ABS and side air bags - ordered over Memorial Weekend, and arrived 8/13. Many of your comments are right on - stiff and solid feel, quality build, striking exterior and interior... I found the acceleration satisfying, considering that my previous vehicle was a 91 Montero (great SUV, but underpowered with a 3.0 V6), and my wife drives a reliable squirrel powered CR-V. 250 city miles resulted in 15 mpg - what I'm usually used to with my Montero. MPG was not a factor in my decision to purchase anyway - I wanted a solid vehicle that could withstand the horrible DC roads that eats suspensions alive. I absolutely love the stereo controls on the steering wheel and would recommend that to anyone. The power leather seats are absolutely comfortable. I have no complaints whatsoever and absolutely love this vehicle. There's two minor imperfections - the car drifts slightly to the right (a comment made by many Liberty owners) on either lane. Also, the idle is quite "lumpy" - the RPM rests at the 600 to 650 range. My other vehicles idle at around 750. I haven't picked up my service manual yet to check their specifications, but if it's actually too low I'll have that adjusted. For a brand new vehicle
    with so few complaints posted online by owners it looks like Jeep finally got their act together.
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    got my silver ltd with pretty much the same options on 8/8. now have 1200 miles and love it. I totally agree with the radio controls. this was a feature I knew it had but did not pay much attention to it as I viewed it as just a "throw in". boy was I wrong, this has been my favorite feature. my daughter loves the heated seats. overall what a solid vehicle. just have to check out the jerking in the rear end when I slow down and pass the 20mph range.
  • Options
    lyngolyngo Member Posts: 28
    actually picked it up on Thurs but have been so distracted between smelling new leather and selling my old car (which btw sold within 4 hrs of putting it out on the busy street near my home...clean deal all around)I'm in love with my new libby :) what an awesome JEEP. When I drive it, I feel like I'm driving a legitimate SUV, one that isn't a play toy but the real deal. It's absolutely gorgeous inside and out...already used those cool grocery bag hooks..how have we lived without them ;)

Anyway, I want to respond to the complaints about the slower idling, drifting to the right, etc. My hubby said with any new engine you are going to idle slower because it's tighter (not broken in yet) and is expected.

If you are not on a totally flat piece of pavement, there is usually a little bit of crown on the road. On our old cars, we're not usually going to let go of the steering wheel to see what it does but because it's new, we're putting it through all the little tests and noticing the right drift. It's most likely totally normal...the way to really test it is to find a FLAT section of pavement and even then, I would be willing to bet that just about every car you own/drive would do the drift right thing.

and nebulas! as far as Jeep 'finally' getting their act together--they ALWAYS have ;)As for fording water...I'll leave that for the '99 Wrangler (that's the go anywhere boy tho the Libby is not a wimp and is totally capable of going anywhere the Wrangler is...but since it's *my* new ride, it'll be babied for at least 500 miles. It won't be a total wimp tho...it's great knowing I have a vehicle that can go anywhere the others go and probably with more sureness and reliability :) what an awesome, solid JEEP all the way...have more to post but out of time, haven't forgotten the ? about where to go in SoCal...back soon!!! Need to go take a deep sniff of that new leather YUM :)
  • Options
    hi justin~~very cool color choice...I don't think you'll be sorry. I was so tempted but got the green instead and am very happy with the lt taupe seats/taupe interior. I wanted the taupe because it's so different...the darker color is more of the same tho I have to admit the contrast is sweet so had the taupe not been available, I would have been quite happy with the dark slate. How long till it's in?? Bet you're counting the seconds :) tell you what...it's so worth the wait...I'm excited for you and all the others here. It's so much fun...I'm just stoked that the dealer was able to locate one equipped exactly as I wanted. The only thing I let go was the ABS...who ever heard of a real 4 wheel drive with ABS anyway *sniff* I wanted one but not enough to order and wait wait wait...the wait *will* be worth it tho, I guarantee you. I have 148 miles on mine and feel kinda like I bought a used one because there was 64 on it before I ever laid eyes on it. They had to drive it from Palm Springs to my dealer so that's why the mileage...just curious for those who have their Libby...what was the mileage on yours when you took possession?

hi wedgeguy~~there are so many choices of where to go to off road, I'm sure I'll think of tons more when I finish this post but here are some...first off, nope Ensenada doesn't count tho Baja (anywhere) comes close...as a matter of fact, some of our best off roading was done in Baja. When we used to pit, we'd leave early to purposely hit San Quintine (can't remember the spelling but it's pronounced similar to canteen except 'kin-teen' (phonetic). It's about an hr...hr and a half south of Ensenada and the dirt road leads up to Mike's Sky Rancho...an oasis through a rock garden leading up to it. What it is is a motel with refreshing pool/jacuzzi/bar and camping area...after spending a couple days there, we would head out to our pit area...the road actually cuts from the west to the east coast of Baja. There are many rocky challenges that I'm positive the Libby could handle. I've driven everything over that road..VW Baja Bug (chopped for off road use), a F-150 4X4...my off road bikes too as well as, a dune buggy that offered little protection from the angry looking cow who stared us down and refused to leave the dirt trail/road so we could pass. We had an old-fashioned stare down that the cow very nearly won. :)

As for places in SoCal to Jeep? Depends on what type of off-roading you like to do but for a Forest type feel, go to Big Bear...actually Fawnskin to the BB Discovery Center...you need a permit for the 'rock garden' but it's totally worth it...a fun little jaunt...maps/permits are available at the BB ranger station. There are trails that run from BB to Arrowhead so that's a wide distance to cover...I guess you could start at the Arrowhead end of it since that's closest to the coast.

If you are willing to drive a ways to the high desert...there are some awesome, killer trails that the Libby is more than capable to conquer. One of our favorite camping areas (we'd party with a group of about 30 in the 70's-80's and do midnight runs on the dry lake with the lights off---only on full moon weekends LOL) anyway, one of our favorite destinations was Stoddard Valley...take the 15 E...it's south of Barstow (yeah it's a drive) If I remember right, you take the Stoddard Wells Road off ramp.

There's also Johnson Valley/Soggy Dry Lake that is east of Lucerne. Really if you go to almost any good 4 wheel drive shop, they'll have books/maps of area trails...the list really is endless. The ones I gave you were some of our regular camping stops. It's been awhile since we've done that since I had two back surgeries (injured in '98) so I'll not be doing much hard core off roading but once the engine is broken in, I'll probably hit light weight Forest Service roads (they're graded LOL) We're actually planning on moving to Colorado soon and want to buy about 5 acres to build a big log home on. I'm positive we'll have a dirt road out to our place so the Liberty will serve me well :) Enjoy your new JEEP, I know I will!!

jeezopete...was this msg long enough?!?! LOL Have a great holiday weekend!! btw, how soon till we can wax? I think I saw some talk about it earlier, guess I'll read back.
  • Options
    joornjoorn Member Posts: 1
    I have a Liberty on order (limited, sunroof,ABS)
    The dealer says it's in "D-1" status, then "D".
    What do these terms mean, and what is the 800 #?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    justintxjustintx Member Posts: 21
    I called yesterday.... still at BX. :( I've been at BX for a week, but I guess I can't really complain after seeing how long some of these guys had to wait. You're right though, I can't wait! I'm sure the guys at the dealership are going to get tired of seeing me come around and sit in the ones on the lot just dreaming. DC will probably start screening their calls and put my number on call-block.

ottowrkr, thanks for the info! I'm in TX and it's a safe bet that the a/c will be put to the test. I guess I just really wanted someone besides a salesman to tell me it should be OK.
  • Options
    iggycatiggycat Member Posts: 25
    joorn, the phone number for DC is (800) 992-1997.

If you're in D1, then you are close. It goes something like BX, D, then D1. D1 is "firm schedule," so they have all the parts available, the vehicle probably has a VIN number assigned, and it's on the schedule to be built.

Call DC (Mon - Fri only, I think) and see if they have a ship date for you. After the ship date, it will take anywhere from a few days to two weeks to get to your dealer. This depends on how far you are from the factory in Toledo, how long your Liberty sits waiting to get on a full truck or rail car, and how long it takes the train and/or truck to get to your area.

Good luck! You don't have much longer to wait!
  • Options
    Not sure if this is helpful or not but the Limited I picked up on Thurs had 7/01 as the manfacture date (on the inside door jam) which means it was built in July and at the dealer by the 30th of Aug so I'd say less then 8 wks assuming mine was built the first week of July...may have been built later so that's encouraging, eh? It would absolutely drive me crazy with all of these stages.

When my bro-in-law worked the Wrangler line...he died at age 51 in June :( anyway, if we would have ordered the Wrangler in '99, he could've kept tags on it and when it got to his line, he was going to have the whole crew sign the tranny case which was 'their' dept :) it would have been custom, eh? at least the sig part...had he lived, I would have gotten the employee price paying about 24k for what I got (limited with all the pkgs minus heated seats/engine heater) only a couple k diff...on the Wrangler the discount was about 5k. Discount be damned, I just want him back *sniff* oh well, he loved Jeep and would really dig all of us talking about them :)
  • Options
    jennykoojennykoo Member Posts: 1
    Should I get ABS with the 4WD? The salesman said it's not necessary because the car is heavy and with 4WD. He has one match the requirements but without the ABS.
    Jenn
  • Options
    huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know if leather is an option with the sport? According to the brochure, leather comes only with the limited (automatic)and I was hoping to go with the 5 sp. Funny, Subaru is the same way with the Forester.

Has anyone gone with the 4 cyl.? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Options
    brianbloombrianbloom Member Posts: 2
    If you think your car (any car) pulls to one side or the other, the best way to test it is to find some low traffic area (residential street or some narrow back road), then drive the exact same stretch *in both directions*. If you can do both passes in the same lane, this will eliminate the road's "crown" effect and any prevailing wind. Just be sure to try and line up in the exact tracks both ways...

Also, and I'm sorry how obvious this is, be sure to check the inflation on all 4 tires with a good gauge. It doesn't take much of a presure differential to make one side of a vehicle sluggish...
  • Options
    chetelmchetelm Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I would get ABS, I have it on my Subaru and it has proved itself many times. There are, of course many different opinions on this subject. The real issue is you make the decision, don't listen to the salesman, he just wants to sell you what he has on his lot. If all his Libertys had ABS and you were looking for one without it, he would be telling you how important it is.
  • Options
    leather is only available with thr G package and the g package is only available on the limited. to my knowledge the 4 cyl models are not avail. yet.
  • Options
    nik70nik70 Member Posts: 4
    We ordered our 4X4 Ltd w/ G Package (leather, etc) and got it at invoice price - $24261 - which includes a couple hundred $ ad fee for Chicago. We got a fair (about blue book) trade in, too. To anyone in Chicagoland, I would recommend Field's Jeep. We had some really rude sales people at other dealerships.

Has anyone seen lower pricing??
  • Options
    geeprzgeeprz Member Posts: 6
    Posted on the net elsewhere in other forums and " stitched" in sequence with the way this has been handled by the dealership and DC…appreciate your comments and suggestions.. Sorry if you may have read this elsewhere.. Thanks.
    We have a brand new 2002 Jeep Liberty; this vehicle had a wheel alignment problem which we expressed our concerns over during the test drive. It was noted in the PNS and promised to be corrected...a few days later when we returned to pay for the Jeep, we took it for another road test. The wheel alignment was still not done. The vehicle went in last week for 2 days; wheel alignment, sunroof noise and closing problem and rear window washer not working. Got the washer fixed, alignment done, but vehicle still pulls to the right and sunroof is still a problem. Noise was acknowledged, but, they do not know how to correct it, and closing seemed to work for them at the time. It is going back again on Wed. of this week, 7/25...they are going to try a tire rotation to correct the pulling tot he right. Spoke with service, sales person, and now the owner... the owner was absolutely useless. We never got a "sorry" about our problem whatsoever from him and does not appear to be sympathetic about the problem. Service department was not any better...just a very poorly run outfit. Owner had only excuses for the problem and just did not get how concerned we are; told us to drive a couple hundred miles more and that all 4-wheel vehicles did this! Tried RAV's, EXTERRA's etc…none had a pulling problem; plus our other Jeep did not behave this way either. Do any of you have a pull to the right as stated by the owner of this dealership; how are your tires???
    7/25
    The Liberty came back this afternoon....they rotated the tires and the damn thing still goes off to the right. The wheel has to be pulled constantly left to correct it, and I get a pain in the left arm after a few minutes from constantly having to hold the wheel left! The owner himself took the car...um..the owner was nowhere to been seen when I arrived...he never came out, never tired to redeem the situation..still no apology for what is going on. We are in the process of contacting Chrysler...all phone #"s are busy..even the regional office here in Mandfield, MA..um..do you think they closed up shop??? Serious, we will invoke the Lemon Law that MA has... The tires feel like there is some uneven wear also; we only have 640 miles on it...that from going back and forth to the dealer..
    We went over the other repairs...seat belt height adjuster was marked as "OK". Service person and I check
    it..um..does not work..he does not know what to say. Another piece will be ordered. Another day that I loose to take it in...
    A previous Jeep Wrangler that we owned had the same problem..long story short, it went back under the Lemon Law. We had this concern about the wheel alignment, we spoke up front about this past experience. We were assured it would not be the same... WRONG, the dealership is a very sloppy and unprofessional place..the owner and his attitude are the same as the last place...no concern for the customer and wanting to make it right... We are there just to have our pockets picked.
    8/31
    I have called several dealerships and asked if their wheel alignment machines have the specs uploaded yet, and none have them yet. I can not get an alignment to correct this ongoing problem of pulling to the right. However, the shop where the original dealer supposedly took our Liberty, who also uses a Hunter machine, told me that any Hunter machine can have the specs put in manually. I was also told, they would re-do the alignment, I would have to pay, but, submit the bill to the dealer…YA RIGHT! They insisted that is how they did the alignment. He also told me he has had another Liberty come in with the same problem. Do any of you out there know if this is correct? If it is, why would a dealer not enter the specs and do the wheel alignment?
    In the meantime, I can not get a dealer to do an alignment and re-check the problem. NOW, as for DC, they have NEVER responded to our certified letters that we sent to the CEO, Dieter Zetsche and Customer Service back on Aug. 1! This is truly a company that does not care about the customer. I guess we just
    have to give them the Final Attempt for repair, not sure how they plan to do the wheel alignment???, and go with the Lemon Law. I was also told by a dealer today that there is a Service Bulletin concerning the pulling to the right or left…cross rotation is the current way to deal with it. We had this one already and it did not work. Now there are a few more Liberty's out there…anyone else notice the pull, if so, what resolution did you get?
    9/2
    And to top it off… The sunroof has finally died. It started to dance back and forth yesterday when I shut the vehicle off; this went on for about 15 minutes! I got back and and started it up, it does not dance, but it will not close completely. There is an opening of about 3 inches. Since this is the Labor Day weekend, I might have a problem if the weather gets bad. This was a problem when we got it, but, as usual, when it was being looked at it worked ok..as for the noise they did not know what to do with it.
  • Options
    I guess you got my e-mail about the edmunds forum. sorry to hear of all your problems with the liberty. most owners here have very few problems and are very happy with their libertys. when did you get your liberty? the only thing I can think of is you got an early or pre-production model.....????? either way pursue the lemon law but dont give up on the liberty.
  • Options
    soccmom1soccmom1 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry to hear about all your Liberty problems. What dealer are you going around with? I have ordered a Limited from a dealer in Ma. And now Im getting nervous. I hope you can get the problems resolved or replace the vehicle. I hope this was just a fluke vehicle and you can get a better one.
  • Options
    We bought our Liberty on July 8 at Peabody Chrysler Jeep, Peabody, MA...stay away from this place.
  • Options
    bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Boy I wish you would go away, you sound like Tribute hysteria, at least you can say Peabody correctly, no Mandfield, Ma, did you mean Mansfield, Ma. I tried this pull to the right stuff today on 93, yes I'm sure you know where 93 is. Well I got pull to the right, I got straight ahead, and I got pull to the left, this on my way up to Salem, NH. Just to be on the safe side I'm going for a wheel alignment in Medford, or is that Mandford. Actually I want to get new tires so an alignment won't hurt. My advice get a Tribute.
  • Options
    tclubtclub Member Posts: 22
    Please let us know what the dealer does. I've been wanting a Liberty, but having owned a GJC that spent months going back to dealer I didn't want to own another Jeep. Hope you'll be able to tell all of us that they fixed everything quickly. Good Luck.
  • Options
    jrs7jrs7 Member Posts: 12
    I have a new liberty with 300 miles on it. It has been perfect and is one of the best cars I've had in years. I'm sorry you are having problems but I think they are dealership problems not vehicle. My car also pulls to right. It will be seen tomorrow at dealership. I spoke in detail with the service manager. They say that the alignment specs from DC are incorrect and new ones have to be entered manually. They worked through this on a couple of other vehicles but it takes time. This is not a serious problem nor a defect but just brand new vehicle stuff and your service dept. doen not want to take the time to do it. Suggestion: any jeep dealer will handle warranty stuff--go to a different dealer with a service dept. that cares--I bet they will fix things and calm you down and don't go back to that dealership!
  • Options
    The 4 cyl Sport is not available yet. IMHO, this vehicle is too heavy for the 4 cylinder engine. When available, you may want to compare both the 4 and 6.
  • Options
    jbrothersenjbrothersen Member Posts: 5
    I've got over 3000 miles on my Liberty Ltd and I had to take it to the dealer for an alignment because it pulled to the right. It took them half the day to get the machine set up but they were already aware of this problem and were just waiting for a Liberty to come in. They adjusted the castor and now it drives fine. My advice is take it to another dealer and ask them to align it. It isn't rocket science and they are already aware of this problem. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    wedgeguywedgeguy Member Posts: 20
    I hope you are enjoying your new Liberty! Thanks a lot for the great "where to go offroad" info. I am looking forward to visiting all those places. I saw San Quintine on the map and it looked like an interesting place to explore, but on this trip, La Buffadora is probably as far south as we'll get.

As far as wax, you can probably put some on right away, as the Liberty has a clear coat. Just use the best wax you can find (pure wax, no cleaners).
  • Options
    hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Just might be the luckiest man on Earth.

My wife is ready to look for a new car and would like a Liberty.

I just barely chose the 2001 Xterra over the Lib.

We might get to have BOTH!
  • Options
    Could you give me a little more info.. The specs, are they already on the alignment machine, or are these the specs from the service manual? My dealership got them from their service manual, which they had to take to a local tire shop and attempt the alignment there since their Hunter machine would not take the specs. A few other dealers in the area also said they do not have the specs yet; they have to be loaded by software and it costs about 3 grand. Thanks.
  • Options
    accountstudentaccountstudent Member Posts: 11
    Tried to get an alignment today to fix pulling to right. Dealer says they don't have the specifications. Should I try a different dealer or what? I've read some others on the board say they have had this problem fixed. How can I make my dealer get the info they need?
  • Options
    jrs7jrs7 Member Posts: 12
    I brought in my car yesterday for this problem. They entered specs manually and did hit or miss with several test drives. Apparently a pain for them. The car is 70% better not quite perfect and they will have another shot at it next week but they obviously are on the right track.Other than this I do not have any info. This dealership is Mullinax in Mayfield Hts Ohio--they seem to care--give them a call at 440 442 8000--they are clearly going to fix the problem and they could tell you how.
  • Options
    jeepers is right...I feel for you but I want to reassure others who have their Liberty ordered that not ALL perform (or NOT perform) the way yours does. I picked my limited with sunroof up last Thurs and have not noticed one thing wrong with it...not one. There's no pulling to the right or left...seems perfectly normal. I do only have 200 miles on mine so maybe I need to get it out more but it sounds like you've had the problem from mile one. Also I have the sunroof and have noticed nothing at all wrong with it. So I'm thinking you just got a lemon. Are you familiar with the law? It sounds like you are. Reason I ask is you have to have it in for service so many times within a certain time frame and I don't recall offhand what it is. It sounds like you may have a case for that tho.

When I read your post, I thought 'oh no..what did I get myself into!' but honestly, I'm not having one single problem...knock on wood. Please keep us up to date on what happens....if you noticed the pulling while test driving, why did you buy it? esp with your past 'lemon' experience? The dealer probably reassured you it'd be fixed? I'm just so sorry that you or anyone is having this experience. We paid a ton for this vehicle and should be enjoying it, not going through what you are.
  • Options
    oh you bet I'm enjoying my new ride...it's gorgeous and I haven't had one problem with it...have you? Enjoy your trip to Ensenada. You know I've been thinking about it and the way they drive down there, even on the pavement, it will be a kick...almost like off roading it LOL at least you have a lot of weight behind you! Also, after I posted, I remembered all the places we went in Baja. We really liked the east coast, from San Felipe on down to Bay of L.A. There are some killer rock trails esp between San Felipe and Puertocitos (sp) some beautiful places to camp in rock coves too...it's like another world down there. If you want to do pavement, a what is now a touristy place but paradise is Cabo San Lucas at the southern tip of Baja...tons of white sand, palm trees and sunshine (Tequila too if you're into that! but don't drive your Libby after an afternoon of that :) Anyway, wanted to let you know that Baja is a great place to explore with your new toy...oops, Liberty.

As for you nik70....WOW! jump on that deal!! Does your Limited include the tow, off road and sunroof pkgs? If so, I'm dying here because I paid quite a bit more than you. In fact the 24k price is the 'EP' meaning employee purchase price that I would have gotten had my bro-in-law lived (he died recently) FYI, the EP price is located at the bottom of the invoice...that is true factory cost. I paid $26,484 with those silly ad fees they included (about $300...I tried to get them to drop them but no go on that) Just wanted to let you know you got an awesome deal! be happy!
  • Options
    drmoddrmod Member Posts: 11
    Just curious what other people who are waiting for their Libs to be shipped are hearing from the DC 1-800#. Mine was released for shipping on 8/30, and is sitting at the railyard waiting to be loaded. Of course, another rep. had told me that since I live in Pittsburgh, PA. it would be shipped by truck the whole way. The latest story I was told (today) was that they are backlogged from the labor day holiday and it may not get shipped for awhile yet. She then told me that the tracking status in their computers had not been updated recently (again because of the holiday) - which makes me wonder if it could have shipped and they don't know it yet (I know - wishful thinking). Anyway, I was doing fine with the waiting until I learned that it is built and just sitting in Toledo, not being driven by me!

-Doc
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    not sure, but I wouldn't doubt the Liberty (Cherokee over there) would be getting one soon:

http://www.surreyoff-road.com/snorkels.htm

• Options
    nickwebbnickwebb Member Posts: 7
    Granted I've only got 1000 miles on my sport, but I have no pulling problems whatsoever. So it doesn't apply to all Liberty's by any stretch. Maybe you have a bad tire or something, but if your dealer isn't helping you, find another one that will. I paid more for my Liberty to get it locally from a dealer that I trust because service and personal attention is important to me. Don't give up, just ditch this lame dealer and find one that is concerned about your problem and satisfaction with the vehicle.

webb
  • Options
    bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    I never really had a pulling problem, maybe a drift problem. Got rid of the stock goodyears and got some pirelli scorpions. Have since cancelled my alignment appointment. Steering wheel is a tad to the left, but it seems to track true based on the road. This steering wheel problem has been the same on my last 4 cars including the Mazda Tribute. All to the left, none to the right. Ford was great they fixed it by making it slant to the right. Mazda couldn't quite get it straight. Never tried on my Passat and on my 626. Also that shimmy at 60 or 70 has dissapeared so those of you that have that might want to get your tires rebalanced, or dump those goodyears altoghether. I may get that wheel straight one of this days, but right now I'm just scared they will screw it up.
  • Options
    tonyfjrtonyfjr Member Posts: 18
    Some protectant or juice they put on the tires when the liberty is assembled actually spayed onto all my fender flares. It stains the clearcoat and I have to get all new flares replaced. Anyone else here of this ?
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I have had ZERO problems but when I drive on the highway at 75-80 (speed limit 65) I feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel at 75. From my years of experience driving, I always thought that tires when out of balance will cause the steering wheel to vibrate at 60-65 and NOT 75. Any comments? Alignment seems to be perfect. I am debating as to whether I should just change the tires or have Jeep try a wheel balance. Your thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Oh.. to those of you on the sidelines.... you are going to LOVE your Libs. A truly great triumph for DC.
  • Options
    keninplacitaskeninplacitas Member Posts: 120
    I reported a slight vibration on my Audi A4 at about 81 mph when I took it in for the 30K mile service. The fix as noted by the tech was that he balanced both front wheels. The problem has not since returned.
  • Options
    petersburg100petersburg100 Member Posts: 29
    I found the following in www.msn.com:

"...after owning this vehicle for 11 days, my husband was hit on the passenger side by a large van traveling approximately 45mph. The car sustained the impact, rolled and remained upside down. My husband walked away with only scratches and a stiff neck. I am very pleased with the safety performance of this vehicle. We are ordering a new 2002!!..."
  • Options
    basepro09basepro09 Member Posts: 91
    that crash test, though scary, is a good sign to the durability and sturdiness of this new Jeep. I really feel that the Liberty is going to be one of the better made vehicles from DC.

Does anyone have any more pictures of their new Liberty's or does anyone have any off-roading stories yet?

Matt
  • Options
    Yesterday I called the DC status line and they said my Lib was sitting in the railyard in Toledo. Then this morning my dealer called me with the news that my Liberty is in! So - tomorrow I'll be picking it up - I can't wait...

Doc
  • Options
    dsoulliedsoullie Member Posts: 3
    Doc,
    I was wondering how long it took to get from D1 status 'til it arrived at the dealership.
    I am awaiting mine, and D1 was Aug 29. I live in Windsor, Ontario so mine should be on a truck and not by rail.

Thx,
    Dustin
  • Options
    I think it took only about 2-3 weeks from D1. It moved to E status just 9 days ago, so from there things moved very quickly.
  • Options
    dewumpydewumpy Member Posts: 17
    We picked up our Flame Red Limited F package with off road, selectrac, tow package, power driver seat, foldaway heated mirrors, mini computer, deep tint glass and 6 disk changer two weeks ago. We have since put almost 2k miles on it. Aside from the "pulling right" problem that everyone seems to have (which the dealership fixed today) it's been GREAT! No problems to report, and I love driving it! Also, anyone in the Bay Area: I highly recomment John Irish in Marin County. They went way above what anyone else in No Cal (SFO, Sacramento etc.) would do to find the car we wanted with the options we wanted (and none that we didn't) and gave a VERY fair price on my trade in. Overall price was $400 over invoice. Only better deal I found in CA was in LA where they could "order" one for $100 over invoice, but you have to wait for 6 weeks (at least) to get one.