Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• Options
    erniejerniej Member Posts: 3
    want to buy a liberty to tow behind my rv. any suggestions
  • Options
    rfleckrfleck Member Posts: 11
    I'm 56 and just took delivery of my Liberty yesterday. I had ordered a Steel Blue Limited 4wd w/ABS, Selec-trac, Sunroof, tint & security group but when I picked it up it turned our to be Forest Green!....Oops!!. Apparently there was a code mixup and since the dealeship was embarrassed they offered a $500 additional discount which brought the total below invoice.
    I am very pleased with my Libby and have NOT noticed any pulling to the right, left or anywhere else also enjoy being able to actually HEAR my radio...something I couldn't do in my traded TJ . Also....I'm starting to really like Forest Green!!

Bob
  • Options
    jimlyon1jimlyon1 Member Posts: 7
    At 67 or 3 months shy of 68. Seems like I'm the old fart here. I have a "Flame Red" Limited.
    Guess what my Wife drives. A wine red 2000 Tracker. I have to say I see a lot of Senior Citizens driving "Cute Utes" here in middle Tennessee. That may be because I live in a so called retirement city. At the present time the KIA Sportage is very popular. Also numerous Cherokees around. To the Gent who was interested in towing one behind a Motorhome, I think all a person has to do is place the transfer case in neutral. However at more than two ton the Liberty is no lightweight.
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I'm glad I got that thought out of my system: thanks for all the responses.

I'm wondering, though, why does everyone think this vehicle is expensive? The Liberty Sport I was looking at with the tow package, AC, power everything, ABS, a CD player, and selec-trak was only about 24,000 (at the discounted price my dealer sells for)... That's not a ton of money for said vehicle. I mean, Outback's are in the same range, so are Escapes (the Ford dealers aren't discounting them much, at least not around here), RAV 4s approach that price nicely equipped...

Frankly, if you stay away from the expensive add-ons (sun roofs, leather, CD changer, heated stuff), I think this vehicle is priced very well.
  • Options
    babsjbabsj Member Posts: 9
    I was trying to deal at Bankston's in Frisco and that's when I had the less-than-pleasant experience. I did not, however, work with the two gents you mentioned in your note. Perhaps I'll revisit the dealership and talk with them. Maybe they're willing to deal closer to invoice than when I first visited -- at that time, they were just getting in their first shipments and didn't stray far from MSRP no matter how hard I tried. Were due to get 70 units initially, so perhaps their sales strategy has changed.
  • Options
    iggycatiggycat Member Posts: 25
    OK, now the numbers work out better. Here's what I figure, based on my own invoice sheet my dealer gave me.

If you see a lot of blank space below, keep scrolling and accept my apology. I'm trying to get an HTML table to work here...
      Sticker Invoice
    Liberty 22720 21275
    27G 2945 2651
    Sunroof 700 630
    ABS 600 540
    Tow Group 325 221
    CD 415 374
    Heated Seats 250 225
    Destination 585 585
    Gas   8
    Owner Comm   20
    Advertising   365
    Discount -625 -563
      27915 26331

The only discrepancy I see is that my price list shows the Trailer pkg at $245 retail, while the Jeep website shows it at $325 currently. Perhaps the price went up. So, the correct invoice price of the trailer towing package might be a few dollars higher than what I show here.

If you add $100 over invoice, you should have about $26,431. Call it $26,500 for the difference in the towing package.

Hope this helps!

Todd
  • Options
    montsuemontsue Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone changed their own oil. I've been searching for the oil filter from up top and down below and still haven't been able to find it. Can anyone tell me where the oil filter is located and how much difficulty you had to change it.
  • Options
    snafu4snafu4 Member Posts: 9
    I picked up my Patriot Blue Limited 4X4 Friday. It has the F package, Tow Grp, Side Air Bags, Console, Selec Trac, Trac Lok, Tinted Galss, Heated Mirrors, Block Heater, Top stereo with wheel mounted controls. I have about 200 miles on it so far and have the following impressions:

The motor was surprisingly powerful. I traded in a Dodge Ram 5.9L and was worried about the 3.7. It really kicks in above 3000 RPM. It obviously has less low end torque than my V8 Ram, however.

Steering is very precise with good road feedback.

The Liberty handels well (compared to a full size truck) and I love the easy maneuverability and tight turning radius.

The seats are firm and comfortable.

Fit and finish are very good...no rattles, squeaks, or groans. The dash is great and the dash lights very cool.

Stereo is very nice. The sound is much better than even the aftermarket stereo I had in the Ram. I think this is due to more cab space in the Jeep vs. Truck.

It feels very tight and precise.

And, yes, I unlocked the door several times while trying to lower the window. That's no big deal, just have to develop new habits.

I love the interior space. Coming from a regular cab truck, I love the fact I actually have storage space now! Inside storage space that is.

There is no pulling to the right or any other problems I've noticed.

I did experience the "helicopter" effect. There is a paragraph about that in the manual too.

On a side note, we tried to drive thru Fort Riley (Army)on the trip back. We were stopped by armed troops and had to weave our way thru large concrete barriers. We had our ID's checked twice within 50 feet. We were ordered to turn back as they are no longer allowing pple to pass thru the fort unless they have military business to take care of. Scary.
  • Options
    ericbwayericbway Member Posts: 19
    Drew, thanks for the site on Command Trac vs Select trac 4WD. Thanks for everyones feedback on Codes. Yesterday I happily put in my order for a Limited G Package, sunroof and ABS for 25,500, in Patriot Blue. After 3 test drives, and many hours of reading the sites all over, I am ready to join the happy owners.
    Additionally, I have a friend in Atlanta who works for Chrsler. He gave me the go ahead, he has heard good things from his repair people, if that makes anyone feel better. And I am 36 w/2 kids and I dont care about looking cute, I am gonna feel secure in my well built JEEP.
  • Options
    bchildersbchilders Member Posts: 3
    The Jeep Liberty I looked at at CarMax was only $25,300 -- I'm pretty sure it was fully loaded. It had the leather, 4WD, 6 disc CD changer, sunroof, tow package... don't know if it had the heated seats or not, but I know it had just about everything else.

I'm still deciding whether to buy one or not or get something bigger like a Grand Cherokee or Chevy Trailblazer instead. The Liberty looks to fit my budget (wheras GC or T-Blazer would be about $30,000-32,000) so I might go with it. It's almost as big as my GMC Jimmy. Has more head room, more or slightly less leg room in all occupant positions. The only thing it doesn't have is more space in the cargo area, something I'm not too worried about.

Just a matter of breaking even on my trade before I decide whether or not to buy.

Another question: do the windows in the back roll all the way down? I know they don't roll all the way down in the Grand Cherokee, but I'm hoping they would roll all the way down in the Liberty.

Edit: I like the window controls in the center. I think it's pretty neat. Very sporty. I don't ever worry about fighting over control of the windows anyways.

Brent
  • Options
    The dealer let you take the car for a spin for about 40 minutes by yourself? All the dealers who ask me to test drive it want to come along with me, and this makes me more cautious as I don't want to scare the living hell out of them so I don't really get the full testing experience of seeing how fast it accelerates 0-60 or how it handles at high speeds around turns. Basically, with a dealer in the car, I'm testing it but I'm not testing it out for how I actually drive.

I test drove a GMC Envoy by myself but only because the dealer was the guy I bought my current car from. Otherwise, I haven't a clue how to keep them away from letting me test drive it alone.

Brent
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    We went out looking at various SUV's Saturday and for a lark (definitely out of our price range) I looked at the Mercedes. They also have the window controls on the center console. Maybe their influence? Personally, it won't matter to me - I've never had power anything, so I won't have bad habits to lose if and when I end up getting something else.
  • Options
    basepro09basepro09 Member Posts: 91
    I believe the oil filter is in the front of the engine to the right and you should be able to see it from the bottom and the top. This is just from looking on a dealer lot, so I'm kind of trying to remember.

The back windows in the Liberty do roll all the way down, so rest assured.

Matt
  • Options
    fisherman8fisherman8 Member Posts: 7
    To B. Childers
    Yes the widows go all the way down.
    I love the car it rides great.In answer to your remark about high speed turns this is more of a truck than a sports car so I don't think this is a good idea.0-60 to me is good it's fast enough for me but maybe not for someone else.I'm in love with this car so far(only had it for a week) hope it stay's that way.
  • Options
    dzanone1dzanone1 Member Posts: 8
    but my 42 year old husband encouraged me to get it. I bought the sport although I considered the fully loaded limited, but for my needs felt the sport was fine ( sunroof, stereo, 4 wheel drive and v6) the price was good 23,2. Although people are getting a better value and puleeze a pathfider vs the Jeep? no comparison. Ps. get rid of the sales person during the test drive because you really need to experience the get up and go cause it has got it.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    MB has had power window and mirror controls in the centre console for a quarter of a century if not more. Reasons include less complexity for the wiring to the doors, less problems since rain water won't drip onto the switches, a central location for both the driver and front passenger to operate the windows, as well as easy adaptation for right and left hand drive markets.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    bjurickbjurick Member Posts: 15
    I have bought two cars from Bankston Dealerships and have had nothing but GREAT experiences. Bankston Nissan-Irving, TX & Bankston Jeep-Frisco, TX. Both times I worked with the Fleet people. They work on no haggle pricing and are really a pleasure to deal with. Both Johnny and Thomas, from my earlier post, are listed as Internet sales people. Try looking on MSN's Carpoint.com. Search for the Liberty and put Frisco as the location. That will ensure that you get to talk to them. I paid $50 over invoice. Their invoice price was the same as Edmunds price except it did have the ad fee. We did haggle a little on my trade but were able to make a deal. Give them a try...they were really good to me.
  • Options
    brucebaldwinbrucebaldwin Member Posts: 7
    What is a good price to get a loaded F package Liberty Limted? I do not want leather.

Thanks
  • Options
    rob5755rob5755 Member Posts: 2
    I will be purchasing a Jeep vehicle in the next 2 weeks and my choices are down to a new Liberty sport with 27B, Selec-Trac & ABS for @$22K or a used 1999 Cherokee Sport with 30K miles on it (was NOT used for off-roading) for @ 14K. I've been told pros & cons of each, but $9K difference is pretty steep in these economic times. One friend is urging me to get the Cherokee and spend $3-4K to put in a good 3" Skyjacker lift and new tires...etc. to really outfit it for off-road & camping. I'd really appreciate any thoughts by Liberty owners, as I don't want to make a mistake I'll regret. Thanx for your feedback.
  • Options
    hartmanhartman Member Posts: 4
    Test drove a limited last night - quite impressed by it. Looking at ordering a limited 4x4 w/ 27g, off-road, sunroof, and heated seats. Without beating a dead horse, is 3% over invoice about average? I've seen some talk about invoice and under, but haven't been able to find it. 3% is all I got from 2 dealers. Also (probably another beaten subject), I gather wait times are 8-12 weeks - ? Any input appreciated.

Jonathan
  • Options
    cheryl3038cheryl3038 Member Posts: 42
    Finally picked up my Liberty today and absolutly love it! The greatest thing was to get in and it only had 8 miles on it! Can anyone tell this is my first NEW car :-) I have about 80 miles on it now. Glad to get it though, it started snowing about 20 mins after I got home.
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Good luck Cheryl! What part of the country has snow now? If there's any accumulation, put the Lib through its paces! Keep us posted on how you're making out. My Liberty is doing fine. Best truck I've ever owned.
  • Options
    Congrats on your new Liberty, Cheryl!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    Hartman,Don't know if you are anywhere near Cincinnati, but there is a dealer that has advertised $500 under invoice the past 3 Saturdays. I think that you should be able to order one at invoice. I'm still on the fence deciding if I should order one.
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I had the same dilemma. Then I drove both vehicles on the highway with the radio on. The Cherokee was just SO much noisier that I decided I was only going to consider the Liberty. The other feature I found unacceptable was the lack of rear headrests for the kids. I had a really hard time with that one. And the zero-mile-per-hour bumpers on the Cherokee versus the 2.5 MPH bumpers on the Liberty...

Another way of looking at it might be $22K for 120K reliable miles (pick whatever mileage number you like). 30K is 1/4 of that, so take 1/4 of $22K away from $22K and you get, what, $16,500. So is the new Liberty's design, safety, comfort, etc. worth a couple of grand more, pro-rated? Would you put that much into the Cherokee to get it lifted and spiffied up?

FYI, $14K sounds a about right, at least around Washington, D.C.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Well, the dealer called this morning to say that my Liberty arrived on the transport last night.

We're going to go pick it up tomorrow morning. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. Tommorow is one day short of 13 weeks since we ordered.

Todd
  • Options
    So, after reading about everyone exchanging their tires for something better, I started to look into an exchange for my new Liberty.

The place my dealer works with told me it would be $580 to exchange the Goodyear SR-A's for Scorpion AT's. They said that the BFG's were even more. I told them to forget it - I could order a set of five BFG's or Scorpions for about $500 from tirerack.com.

Where have you guys been finding anyone to give you a good deal (~$200) to exchange the tires??? I called a couple tire shops around here (Sacramento), and they either told me they won't take a trade-in or they'll give me $25 per tire to exchange.

Todd
  • Options
    soccmom1soccmom1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi My Liberty is finally here! Silver Lmtd with f pkg and tinted windows and CD, cassette pkg. LOVE IT!!!!!! I just put black splash guards on it and it looks sharp. Since I dont do much offroading I thought the splash guards were a good idea for New Englnd weather. Hope everyone is enjoying their vehicle as much as I am. Arrived exactly 2 months to the day.
  • Options
    cheryl3038cheryl3038 Member Posts: 42
    I'm in Northern MI. We didn't have any accumulation.....but it was yucky to even see it this early.

The only thing I was wondering about my Libby is after getting home I got out and could smell a strong odor coming from underneath the car. It was a "hot" smell. It's slowly gotten less intense in the smell. Could not smell it from inside the car either. My brother in law said it's probably just cause it's new. Anyone have a thought on this one?
  • Options
    I've seen other people mention in the past that the burning smell is just the oversprayed excess undercoating that is burning off. The smell will dissipate soon, as the car gets older :-)

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    chuckaboomchuckaboom Member Posts: 8
    To NYC/Long Island Liberty owners:
    Looking for feedback on area Jeep dealers and Liberty prices. Anyone know of an exceptional dealership that offered a fair price and has a first-rate service department. Also, have Liberty shoppers found prices in the metro area higher than elsewhere? Any lucky/shrewd buyers snag a Liberty, particularly a limited, for below invoice or even 3 to 5 percent above it?
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I bought my Liberty at Westbury Jeep in Nassau County on Long Island. I was fortunate that they had the vehicle I wanted in stock. I paid $200 over invoice but their invoice included the advertising fee. I think you can probably do a little better but I was happy to get the car. Their service department is open every day from 8 AM to midnight and they also open Saturday for service from 8 AM until 6PM. They also will give you a loaner car provided you call two weeks in advance. Delivery was a snap and no hard sells on any extras. Email me if you need more information. I can give you the salesman's name if you wish.
  • Options
    rmk17rmk17 Member Posts: 16
    Well, I guess Jeep must have just shipped a bunch of Libs early this week. My Patriot Blue Limited, 27G, ABS, and Heated Seats arrived at my dealership this morning!!! I can't wait to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon! Also excited because my wife and I are taking a 600 mile trip this weekend to go see my little bro in college, I guess we'll be traveling in style. Which leads me to a question. I know the general rule for break-in is to vary your speed every 10 minutes for the first 500 miles or so. Are there any other important rules I should know about break-in? Regarding the age discussion, FWIW, I'm a 25 year old male. My wife and I, however, are DINK's for the time being. Congratulations everyone who has just picked up their Libertys, I'll be joining you soon! Finally, my wait time from ordering was almost 7 weeks, pretty good compared to some I've seen.
  • Options
    wem003wem003 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if the new incentives will include anything for the Lib? My dealer I have been working with said that something big is supposed to be announced on 10/2, but I tend to think its probably just a continuation of the GC/Cherokee/Wrangler incentives. I guess I was wondering if DC was going to do lower interest rate or something like Ford and GM. The dealer said he'll contact me Tuesday, but I thought I'd check here anyway.

BTW, its a great discussion. I've been lurking a while, and plan to order a Sport soon, it will be the 5th jeep I've owned. Never regretted any of them.
  • Options
    nat2001nat2001 Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if any of you shopping Jeep Liberty have considered waiting for the upcoming Land Rover Freelander? I've been planning to buy a Liberty, but now think I may wait for the Freelander. Check it out and post any comments you may have:

http://www.freelander.com
  • Options
    I don't see any pro's going in the Freelanders favor, what's the interest? Have you compared the two?

Matt
  • Options
    nat2001nat2001 Member Posts: 2
    With no low-end 4-wheel drive, it's not going to run the Rubicon. However, the on-road manners should be more refined with the prowess to take on the occasional romp through the bush. Quality and service from Land Rover may well be heads above the competition in this class as well. To answer your question Matt, my interest is purely recreational.
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    I've heard that the financing is 0% for 60 months right now, but my local Jeep dealer says no. The web site concurs, but if you go to the "how much are my monthly payments?" section of the web site and choose a Liberty, the rate and term are set to 0% and 60 months. I would really like to know what the real deal is. I don't need a new car, but I've always wanted a Jeep and if the 0% for 60 months on a Liberty happens, I would probably buy one. If not, I'll slap some Artic Alpins on the Focus and have a better time this winter than your average SUV driver.
  • Options
    mad0865mad0865 Member Posts: 176
    Not that I know of. Ford Focus and fun in the snow? Interesting combination, a lot of sliding around I'd say. Hope you don't have to go up any steep hills in deep snow, those Focus's don't have alot of lift to them. Otherwise, I like them.

-mad
  • Options
    goz1goz1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all on this site...I've been reading for a few months now and have decided to take the plunge and get a Silver Limited from the dealers lot (only other option is dark tint sunscreen). This will be the first new vehicle I've ever bought, so your advice has been great.

Just wondering how my "deal" stacks up to those with more buying and negotiating experience -- silver ltd 4x4 with dark tint for $21,518 + ad fees and dest. charge ($365 and $585) for a total of $22,468 (not including TTL of course). This is right at invoice without any haggling with the dealer. He will honor this invoice price until Saturday, but the best financing they would give me for 60 months is 6.5% I know that some people have talked about Jeep offering better financing rates starting on Oct. 2nd. I don't want to miss out on a good deal at invoice, but I also don't want to feel bad because I didn't wait 72 hours to save thousands in interest payments. Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    He's only saying that because it's the end of the month and he's desperate. Probably getting close to his bonus. I'd wait to see what DC does for interest rates and then go back to him after saturday. If he won't give you the deal, see another salesman at the same location or talk to the sales manager. You'll get the deal you want. If not, go to a different Jeep dealer in your area. It's amazing how desperate these guys get at the end of the month. Their deals always last "until Saturday" when it's the end of the month... until next month. They want their sales bonus, which is why you're getting the good deal. They'd give you the same deal this time next month.

BC
  • Options
    lindag47lindag47 Member Posts: 18
    I just ordered a new Liberty yesterday. I know there was a post on this site about how you contact DC to check on the progress of the car, but I can't remember what number it was. Can anyone tell me how you do this? Thanks.
  • Options
    So, you don't mind that you're going to be paying more money for a smaller, more underpowered suv? And the only thing you're hoping for is a smoother ride and better service. Doesn't sound too smart, but hey, get what you want.

Matt
  • Options
    adkimadkim Member Posts: 9
    The current issue of CAR (UK mag) compares the Ford Maverick (Escape), Liberty, and Freelander, ranking them in that order, although the sense of the report is that the first two could easily switch places depending on whether one liked/needed the Jeep's greater capabilities or were in the market for an suv for typical uses. The Freelander lagged considerably behind even in the eyes of the home writers.
  • Options
    huck7huck7 Member Posts: 16
    According to CNNfn:

"Base prices on the Liberty, a compact SUV that replaced the Cherokee last
    spring as an early 2002 entry, are unchanged this fall. Liberty base prices
    range from $17,035 for a 2WD Sport to $23,305 for a four-wheel-drive Limited.

"The Liberty was priced right," Murphy said; it sells briskly without incentives
    and the majority of sales are of the higher-priced Limited model. "Now, the
    Grand Cherokee is priced right."

Sorry gang.
  • Options
    huck7huck7 Member Posts: 16
    I apologize for not citing my source regarding the incentives.

The link is:

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/09/27/home_auto/q_chrysler_krt/

• Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Wait until DC offers better financing deal. You'll save LOT more in the long run with lower APR financing.

By the way, don't ever pay ad fees. It's a scam! Ad fees are costs of doing business. It's considered an expense for the dealers. You should not have to pay for it.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "12. Why should I pay advertising fees?

Most vehicles carry a legitimate advertising fee levied by either the manufacturer or by regional dealer groups. National or regional advertising fees, when charged, should not exceed 1 percent of the vehicle's MSRP. Because individual dealership advertising is a cost of doing business, you should never pay an advertising fee levied by the dealer rather than a regional dealer association or the manufacturer."

link

One way to "avoid" the ad fee is to negotiate an "out the door" price and let the dealer allocate the numbers how she wishes.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    Where did you see the layout of the three suv's? Do you get the magazine or did you se it online somewhere? And if you get the magazine, do they have a website?

Matt
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    So what's Edmunds' take on Nissan and Toyota fees, which often run over 1%.

This is a problem which Edmunds needs to address. It's caused me grief and I'm sure the dealers as well.