Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    For real? That might then be the easiest way to get discs on the rear of my Cherokee. Exxxxcellent
  • hansm14hansm14 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone unhappy with the cargo room?They don't look very roomie.
  • norwegianbluenorwegianblue Member Posts: 3
    I guess it's time someone says something good about them then. I purchased '02 Liberty Limited in November '01 and have already racked up 15K miles. It has all the options and zero problems. Just got back recently from having a fantastic time jeepin' in the San Juan mountains in Colorado. So far the performance has been superb on and off road.
  • cdkelly23cdkelly23 Member Posts: 52
    I, too, get tired of hearing all the bellyaching and moaning about the Jeep Liberty. It seems people love to nit-pick, and don't hesitate voicing their "displeasure" for the world to see.

I bought my Liberty in January and have loved every mile I've driven. I have not experienced a single problem.

Now, I knew when I bought my Jeep Liberty that I would have to do some things to keep it going, such as putting gas in the tank (what an inconvenience!), having the oil changed, rotating the tires, keeping it clean and even having to steer the vehicle around corners.

It amazes me seeing some of the "problems" some people cite about their Liberty. Perhaps the expectations are a bit out of whack?

I love my Liberty and would recommend it to anyone. A fantastic, comfortable ride.
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    A friend let me test drive her Liberty down a steep mountain grade with plenty of curves and altitude (10,000 to 7,000). It was a loaded limited and although I was mainly interested in the handling (super for a true off-roader) she also sold me on the sunroof. My only complaint/observation was the the A-piller grab handles seemed a bit intrusive. I may have only noticed this since the road required a lot of viewing out that end of the windshield (and side windows) on the way down.

She had nothing but praise for the KJ's off-road ability (scratches along the fender flares gave her comments credibility) and preferred it to the Grand Cherokee that they had traded-in. She particularly liked its low-end grunt for pulling out of sand and muck.

I will be ordering mine next week. Can't wait.
  • mad0865mad0865 Member Posts: 176
    I too can't complain about the Liberty in any fashion. 20k miles since Oct.2001 and it's been awesome. Recently bought a screen door Home Depot, stuffed in the back, had the rear window cracked about two inches. Not bad, since the door was about 86 inches long. Nope, no complaints here.
  • soulfingersoulfinger Member Posts: 64
    No problems on my loaded Limited. Lots of horror stories out there for any brand. My last two vehicles were both Chevy products. One has 140K miles and still runs great. The other was in the shop more than it was out and I traded it in at 75K on the Liberty. I've come to believe that whether you have problems or not is largely luck of the draw.
  • binkabinka Member Posts: 12
    Been a Liberty owner for nine months and 10,000 plus miles. As stated here previously not a squeak, rattle, or problem of any type avg 18.6 to 19 MPG. Couldn't be more satisfied with my Libby.
    You seem to be getting pretty good milage. Do you have the 4 or 6 cylinder? Auto or 5 spd.? Although milage is not a big concern for me, I am still curious how others are doing now that their Liberty's are well broken in.

I did hear that Jeep will be bringing out an alternative fuel vehicle (hydrogen I think) in a couple of years.
  • soulfingersoulfinger Member Posts: 64
    I had been averaging just about 18 mpg (about 70/30 highway/city driving) since day 1. Mileage has improved slightly since I hit about 18K miles. I'm now past 20K and average about 18.2.

I'd be very interested in a an alternative-fuel model. Hadn't heard that. Hmmm ... hydrogen. Wasn't that what the Hindenburg was filled with? ;)
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I have nearly 14,000 miles and bought mine in August 2001. It's considered an early build model and it is tight as a drum, no squeaks and zero problems since new. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
  • binkabinka Member Posts: 12
    My Liberty has the 3.7 L w/auto. My driving habits probably have as much influence on mileage as anything. I rarely use much more than the top 1/3 of the accelerator travel except in some merging situations, took a road trip this weekend 300 miles 70 to 75 MPH on interstate w/air on 2 average size people and a 9 LB. dog got 21.6 for the trip. I have also checked the trip computer against actual mileage and they are the same.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Im upset with a local dealer here in Dallas/Ft worth area. They have the only Salsa Limited I can find and is an early build date and has been on the lot for some time. I like the salsa and since they are not using this color anymore I wanted to purchase this one, its also a non-lowered model and they act like its made of gold. I just dont want to pay the sales guys kids way to college but thats what they want me to do to get into that liberty. However, the dealer will not come off the sticker, darn I wish carmax was still here with new jeeps in texas the no haggle pricing was great.....
    Regarding the Salsa colored Liberty that has been on the lot for some time.

If you want it badly enough, I would go over the salesman's head and go straight to the sales manager. Do your homework and go in prepared with an offer. Tell the sales manager if he meets your price, you will drive it off the lot that day.

If the vehicle has been on the lot for some time, obviously it isn't as hot as the salesman is making you believe.

I always deal with the salesman, but when he or she becomes unreasonable, I go straight to the next level. And, I've had success with this.

You, not the salesman, control the purchase. If they say no, let them realize that you will proceed to buy your Jeep at another dealer that would welcome your money and business.

What's the worst that can happen? They could turn you down. That draws no blood at all.
  • kittelkittel Member Posts: 11
    12000 trouble free miles on our Liberty Limited, perfect, not one problem or adjustment. Poor mileage 13 to 15 in the beginning. After 7000 miles, mileage increased to 19 to 21 depending on types of trips. Only complaint is our two bikes won't fit in the back as they do in the van. So we just take the van. Problem solved.
  • kj09kj09 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2002 flame red Liberty Sport 2wd, and i've had some interesting problems with what seems to be my auto trans.
    it seems to be shifting a little harder than i'd like. Also it seems to take a while before going into drive from park or reverse. Has anyone else had these problems.
    i've got almost 14,000 miles on my libby and I've got a few other minor problems as well. overall it's a great vehicle and i love it. i only wish i had gotten 4wd. my only regret.
    I have noticed a slight hesitation in my Liberty kicking into drive from park. But, it seems to shift fine while driving.

After I kick into drive from park, I make a point to wait a few seconds to allow it to properly shift. I don't, however, really view this as a problem. Just figure it's the nature of the beast.

Bought my Libby in January and haven't had a single problem. Terrific vehicle.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    my lib sport 4wd has 250 miles. fuel pump already quit. this isn't good. its still new for christ's sakes. dealer gave me a new one to drive until mine's done. otherwise, i love it. BFG all-terrains look killer on now-lowered libs. blackwalls out and all. also, the demo im driving jumps curbs without hesitation and loves to. the lib is one stout vehicle when it runs. hehe. also, 4-lo is very very low, and the idle does increase like they claim. pretty cool.
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    I think that the hydrogen plays a part in some sort of fuel cell technology. According to the Jeep web pages, it is tentatively called "Commander". I would love to support alt fuels, but @ 20 mpg seems pretty good to me for a true SUV. How come the greens don't get upset over the flood of premium sedans and sport cars on the road. Many of these rarely beat 20 mpg themselves. Perhaps because there are more SUVs and they are easier targets.

I was lucky enough to drive a friends KJ and the first thing I noticed when I shifted into gear was a noticable thunk. I even tried it twice, thinking I had slammed it in while it was still coasting backwards. Again I felt it lock into gear. She did not seem to notice anything unusual, so I guess it is a Liberty thing. I am planning on getting the 5 spd., but I did think it curious.
  • mrgallupmrgallup Member Posts: 31
    I am so amused by all the complaints about SUVs and gas milage. Take one look at the gas milage of a Minivan - equal to and sometime much worse than SUV's and you know how many minivans are rolling around on our interstates / city streets.
    Just curious - I know a lot of Carmax's have a Jeep dealership - and no haggle pricing. I live in Nebraska, so no Carmax close - but I hit their site out of curiosity and searched for a Jeep Lib Limited w/ leather (27G). They showed a sticker of $28,595 - Factory Invoice of $27,021 and a No Haggle price of $24,569!! A discount from MSRP of $4026. Seems like a good deal to me - almost enough for me to get a 1way ticket and tour the country :) Just wondering if buyers are seeing that type of discount off sticker from other dealers.

Thanks
  • clever1clever1 Member Posts: 123
    mrgallup: That is a good price. You might want to contact the dealer to find out what tax will be -- probably much higher than in Nebraska. It may be worth your while to have whatever you choose transferred to a closer Carmax location (Chicago?), pay less tax, and not add in the price of an unnecessary trip. Better still, why not print out the price and specs from what you've seen and negotiate with a local Jeep dealer? The 2002s are going under invoice plus 0% interest these days.
    That was really the crux of my question - is $24,569 a realistic price for a Limited w/ 27G package. I also notice in looking at the specs at Carmax that there is no dealer prep cost. Didn't know if that was gimmick to show a $0 figure there - or if that was unique to Carmax.

Taxes are a non-issue - (I think) since you pay tax in the state where you license the car - not where you buy it (at least that is true in Nebraska)

I fully intend to print the Carmax window sticker and see what my local dealer might do to match. I am intrigued about the idea of flying to a Carmax city and buying one then driving it home. The only downside to that is the 500 mi. break in period. I don't relish driving from Atlanta to Nebraska at 50 mph (or whatever the current breakin recommendations are)
    Thats funny u bring that up about flying into a carmax city and driving one back as I have thought the same. They took the only carmax jeep dealer in Texas out in December although they were reported to be the top jeep volume dealer in Texas go figure? I recieved an email from a local dealer in dallas last week about selling all jeeps at dealer invoice plus taking off any chrysler/jeep incentives. I called and gave the dealer the vin # of one of their libertys I was interested that was on their website that had a MSRP $23,445 and recieved a call back with a "No Haggle" price of $22,700. I Did the same with a carmax with basically same vehicle and same MSRP and was told $20,000. So I know when im ready to purchase a new jeep i will be flying to a carmax and buying then driving back its worth the time to save $2K imo. This is not the first time I have dealt with dealers here in texas trying to get me to send their children to college on my dime.
    There are a number of states that still have ancient car purchasing laws on the books that inhibit, or at least inconvenience, such services as carmax, carsdirect, etc. Even if it cost you an extra 2K in travel and inconvenience, it is worth it to exercise your rights as a buyer (even if your state refuses to recognize these rights). Seems to me that protecting these local dealers must bend the laws protecting interstate commerce. Where is a trail lawyer when you need one?
    How are you enjoying your sunroof (if you have one)? I am on the fence about this one, but it seems like a nice way to get some air and a little sun.
    ill take the sealed comfort of a non-sunroofed vehicle anyday over a potential leaky hole in my roof. that's what windows are for. jmo
  • ozone1ozone1 Member Posts: 87
    We have a sunroof in our Liberty Limited and love it. No leaks, drips or errors so far. It isn't offered with any of the current Jeep Packages though, so it all depends if you went to shell out the extra $700.
  • psktruckerpsktrucker Member Posts: 18
    I just puchased a new 2002 Liberty "Renegade" this weekend. We were looking at the 2003 Wrangler Sahara but the Value side of my brain took over the Fun side. I think we will be very pleased with Liberty.

We have the 5 spd and really enjoy the sporty feel. Other options include Sunroof (i've had them in several vehicles and have never experiened leaks), pwr driver seat, and CD changer.

Has anyone here been to a JEEP Jamboree with their Liberty? We are looking forward to attending one of these events.
    I like the sunroof on my Limited, especially the fresh air flow without the usual window draft. No leaks, no problems anticipated. Indulge yourself!
    I know this technically belongs in another category, but am wondering what everyone's thoughts are about getting an extended warranty to supplement the 7/70K and/or 7/100K warranty on recent Jeep Liberty purchases.
  • firstjeepfirstjeep Member Posts: 18
    hi,

Can these be ordered on-line or do I have to get one from a dealer.
    Does it need to be installed by a dealer or is it an easy click-and-go installation, in which case I would ask the dealer to send me one and install it myself.
    Is $170 the best price out there?

thank you.
    Jim
    (Picking up the Jeep tomorrow!)
    I've always felt extended warranties are up to the individual. I purchased the extended warranty because I like the peace of mind that comes with it.

I don't believe the price is all that out of line. I believe the extended warranty adds roughly $15 a month to my payments. A pretty low price for peace of mind, in my opinion.

It's up to you. Buying it would be one less thing for you to worry about.
  • kj09kj09 Member Posts: 5
    IS THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE AS AN OPTION FOR THE LIBERTY'S THAT DIDN'T COME WITH IT? ALSO, WHAT ABOUT REAR DISK BRAKES?
    If memory serves, the '03's will have disk brakes all the way around. DC still has no specs up on their web site and I have not been able to secure a brochure for the '03 to double check this.

Thanks for the input on the sunroof. This is my "decade" car, so I think I will go for it.

psktrucker - How about some pictures? I'd love to see it. Also, how do you like the leather insert seats?
    Saw this at jeepin.com. What do you think? A Wagoneer in the works?

http://www.jeepin.com/campjeep2002/album/pages/DSC00662.htm

They also had a picture of a two-door Liberty, but the "buzz" is that it is not going to happen. More on both at http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b082702.htm

The '03s definitely have front and rear disc brakes. If you visit the Jeep.com site, you will be able to "search inventory" for the newer vehicles and click thru to view actual stickers for different configurations.

Otherwise, it's not easy or cost effective to change drum to disc brakes, nor is it going to be cheap to add the overhead console. The big question isn't whether it can be done, but whether the benefits will outweigh the costs.
    Sorry clever1, I must be a bit thick, but I could not find any 2003 Liberty specs at the Jeep.com web site. I went to www.jeep.com and then to "Liberty." Do you know of a better URL or one that is more up to date? I would love to get more specific info on the 2003, but even the dealer in our area does not yet have brochures (although he does have some '03's on the lot).
    shill3: On the Jeep.com site, there is an option to "find a dealer", and then "search inventory" at any dealer listed -- use whatever zip code or area search suits you, but favoring the largest markets will give you more results. Once you've gone into any dealer's '03 inventory, you can click on any Liberty in stock and then view/print the actual sticker. Also, be aware that kbb.com and cars.com already have '03 invoice and MSRP listings, but some of the standard and optional feature details are not accurate. Between those sites and the stickers, it's fairly clear what's available on the new models.
  • neesieneesie Member Posts: 13
    I have been driving a 99 Mazda Protégé for the past 3 years and have not been happy with that vehicle. So I want a Jeep Renegade. I know there is a huge difference in the two vehicles but I love the look of the Renegade. My only concern is, is the Renegade too masculine for a woman?
    neesie: Styling cues are very different between the two, but I wouldn't consider the Renegade any more or less masculine than the Wrangler, or most trucks out there. Plenty of women are driving any of those. The rest is a matter of personal taste. Although if you drop the suspension to the minimum, add phat tires and pseudo turbo vents on the hood with lots of shiny stuff and a booming subwoofer, then you may have to deal with some flack.
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks clever1, I tried a couple of dealers, but they may not have had '03's in their systems.

BTW, I saw a sport today, but it had dull grey cladding all they way around, from mid-way down the doors (like the old RAV4's). Is this an '03 "improvement"? It doesn't add to the Jeep's appearance IMHO.
    yes, you saw right. the new '03's have dull door cladding. i just picked up a new '02 and the door inserts match the seat material. very classy indeed. the new '03 have been cheapened up imo. rear disc brakes? woohoo, now you have to turn the rear rotors. ill take drum brakes on the back anyday. they hardly work anyways. adding them just made DC more service money. and pushed the base price up. other than that, there are no visible differences between '02's and '03's. i had the wonderful luck to get a base sport 4x4 that hadn't been lowered. i put some 235/70/16 BFG all-terrains on it and it looks as if it can go anywhere. the spare hanging back there looks cool too. i love how DC calls my lib a base sport. heck, i have power everything, cd, auto, air, etc. i wanted the steel wheels as i think the aluminum sport wheels look too yuppity. hail to DC for keeping my lib stickered for barely over $22K.
  • stsatan1stsatan1 Member Posts: 1
    The Liberty is a great vehicle and I'm seriously toying with the idea of picking up a new '03. While talking to a local dealer I was surprised to find out the Liberty doesn't come standard with limited slip differential, tow hooks or a full set of skid plates! An inventory search revealed that only 5 Libertys in Ontario have Trac-Lok but they also have sunroofs, Infinity sound, etc. In short, $3,000 more equippment then I want.

I spend more time in the wilderness and snow (with my job) then most people do on this board. I would seem given the options people put on these things (i.e., 2wd, sunroofs, Cd changer but never trac-lock or tow hooks) that DC is really just selling these things to people who want them as a fashion statement. On a "serious" 4x4, how can you not have standard trac-lock??????????????

It would also appear that fuel economy is slightly improved over the '02, at least according to the sticker.

Although they are 4x4s, you would think fuel economy would figure higher on the priority list for all manufacturers. Gas goes for 70 cents and litre (US$1.85 gallon) in these parts. It will only get worse when "dubya" starts bombing another third world counrty with oil..............
    stsatan1: It sounds like you already know about the Off Road Group option, which adds limited slip, tow hooks, skid plates, heavy duty engine cooling and different tires for about US$500. How long are dealers up there saying it would take to order a Liberty the way that you want it? (This is not a high demand time of year for new car sales, so I'll bet it's not such a bad wait.) It's generally accepted that most SUVs will not be taken off pavement on any regular basis, so it makes sense that manufacturers would favor the "on road" configurations to give the majority a lower purchase price. It sounds like you'll be looking at modifying anything new you get for the wilderness (suspension, etc), anyway.

Also, you may want to read older posts to confirm this, but it sounds like most people are averaging around 20 mpg (or whatever the metric conversion is) after engine break-in (also my personal experience with a Ltd. 4x4). Relatively speaking, that's not bad at all (pricing for gas in California is not much better than yours -- in some cases, it's worse). Not many trucks that are designed to do anything resembling off road use are going to get significantly better mileage (they're all heavy). There are some hybrids coming down the pike, if you can afford to wait.

Otherwise, let's all hope they figure out that Caspian Pipeline/Bush-Oil-Buddies Middle East problem without destabilizing the economy.
  • laassolaasso Member Posts: 6
    neesie......My daughter just bought a "must have" 02 Renegade. She hated to trade in her 00 Mustang but needed more room for kids. I think it looks great for anyone, but I own a 01 Forester which suits me fine.
  • firstjeepfirstjeep Member Posts: 18
    Picked up my Sport 3.7m Friday from the harbor. Love the car. Put the first 250 miles on it over the weekend. Does anyone know about the cargo area partition (post 2941)?

For all the mileage complainers:
    'Regular unleaded' goes for $3.78 / gallon here.
    How do I tell the build date of a liberty, where and what do I look for. Thanks, Jeff
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    I tried to get a fully loaded Jeep but my local dealer had none and wasn't interested in looking for one for me. I used driversseat.com and found just what I wanted in Atlanta. The price was posted on the dealer's webpage, and was $2,257 off the sticker. On top of that, we got Chrysler's 60 month, 0% financing with zero down. We made all the arrangements by email + fax + FedEx and we just picked it up Saturday (they actually delivered it to our hotel) and it was exactly as stated. The 6 hour ride home was fine....the Jeep drives great and looks fine.
    jefferson 1964: Your Liberty's build date (month/year) should be written on the label located on the driver's door frame panel (above the lock mechanisms).