Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• bjewettbjewett Posts: 62
    I agree with some of the other posts regarding the MazdaSpeed strategy.

We need a 2.0L engine option. Give me a P5 with the same seats, roof, safety (etc) options but with the clutch & turbo engine mods and price it competitively, and it would be a deal. They carconnection link says there is an internal debate on where Mazda will go next. This doesn't bode well for a turbo P5 anytime soon, I would think. Could be time for a Subaru, unfortunately.

I've been waiting for a turbo protege, but don't care for orange, black, the big wing or stereo. I guess just getting more power out of the protege (or P5) isn't likely. How about a midnight blue protege5 with 170 hp and nothing wierd tacked on? Anyone else wanna buy *that* car?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    and it'll cost JUST below 20k too!
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Posts: 108
    Dont you think we might be able to buy the turbo when it comes out and put in on our existing 2.0 engines? Shouldnt this work?
    I dunno, it would not be a simple package. I thought it was supposed to require a heftier clutch, new computer control unit, along with the turbo and intercooler hardware. Might be pricy - that said, I think Mazda could make money selling it. I just don't think it will be a simple install, and I dunno what kinda warranty would be offered with it. But I *am* sure there would be interest among protege owners if they can keep the cost down.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    I ordered the cargo tray from Sweeney Imports in Cincinnati last Friday, and I received it yesterday. It was $40 plus shipping, which still came to less than my local dealer quoted me, and they didn't have it in stock and didn't know when they would get it. Definitely worth it! I got the cargo net and wheel locks too, and the whole order came to $97 including shipping. They are at sweeneyp[email protected] or 888-831-2698.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Brian--

I don't know where in IL you live, but a few of us in the Chicago area are trying to get a meet together on April 27th at Busse Woods.

Details are over on protegeclub.com, in the Upper Midwest section...see the IL Meet thread.

--Dale
  • bballabballa Posts: 56
    limpyboy, I like the blue but I think the silver is the color I am going to get. With the interior so dark I think the exterior should be light or else in the summer the heat will be more of a problem. I don't want many extras,moonroof being the only major one. My wife really wants the moonroof , me not so much. Any owners with opinions on the moonroof? Never had one on any of my cars. Thanks
    what's up with the static electricity? Is it a big problem and does it occur in all pro5s?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    is caused by you rubbing on the seat fabric while driving, all Proteges (hatch and sedan) have this, ahem, 'electric' personality ;)

easiest way to avoid getting shocked is, before you put your foot on the ground, make sure you hold onto a metallic surface of the car before stepping out. I just grab onto the A pillar and pull myself out of the car, and no shocks!!

but I am kinda used to the shocking though... hmmm...
  • limpyboylimpyboy Posts: 26
    I had one on a 1990 Jetta GLX. Loved it. For my new P5 it's a must-have for me.

Jetta had nifty device: When roof was fully open a spring-loaded air deflector popped up, reducing noise and air rush.

And the static thing happens with most cars with fabric seats, particularly in dry weather. A-pillar trick is a reliable avoidance maneuver.

BBalla, I notice we're both replacing gigantor vehicles with the P5 (Your Silverado, my Durango).

I'm curious: All the P5 owners out there, what was your previous vehicle?
    limpyboy, the pro5 will be in addition to my silverado. Which one my wife will drive I don't know.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    I had a white '93 Civic hatchback 5-speed that I loved, but I needed 4 doors. Last December I bought a '99 Camry automatic that I hated, so I traded it for a red Protege5 5 speed. This is more like it..

Demographic-36 year old male.
  • I haven't had a chance to post for a while, so here's my attempt to catch up!!!

Demo: Male, 36, red with moon roof and auto, 13,400 problem free miles. Love the car, though if I forget to turn off over-drive, the auto can be a bit sluggish in traffic... No surprise there. Loved the 5spd, but hate the hour and a half of shifting involved with sitting in traffic each way every day.

Static: A good trick to cut down on the static problem, is to dilute liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle and mist the interior on occasion. I also use this to reduce static around my stereo and computers.

Silver face: Won't chip any worse than the black on the Protege DX!!!

Prior Vehicle: 97 Toyota 4Runner! The P5 carries my dogs and drums just fine. :-)
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    I didn't want to spend the money for the moonroof but I DID want ABS, and Mazda forced you to buy the moonroof when purchasing ABS.

At any rate, I'm very glad I purchased the moonroof. It's very functional and it also has a pop up wind deflector that works fairly well until you get to speeds above 60 mph.

Some people ordered the extra wind deflector and said it works very well on cutting out wind noise.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    I definitely wanted the sunroof on my P5. I got the car in mid-Feb. and haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but it's a decent one for the price. Would have been nice for it to be deep-tinted and a little larger in size, but it still works well. The nice thing about sunroofs is that you can tilt them for extra ventilation when it's inconvenient to slide it back, such as on a cooler day or when leaving the car parked in the sun.
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Posts: 108
    What do you mean Mazda forced you to buy a moonroof with your ABS? I have a Vivid Yellow P5 with just a moonroof. I think the salesman told you a lie so you would buy the vehicle on the lot. If you configured your vehicle on Edmunds or MazdaUSA site, then you can tell that you can buy a P5 with just the moonroof.
    Thanks for the notice - I can't make it around then, but appreciate the info.

p.s. - champaign/urbana, 2 hours from Chicago.

Brian
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I used to have 2 Proteges, a 1999 DX then a 2001 ES. I had that static problem too. I cut back on it by touching the tip of the key to the outside of the door frame right before pushing the door closed. It's the only thing that worked for me. Worth a shock (I mean shot). :)
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    if you want a moonroof by itself, your ok. But if you want ABS and side airbags, you have to buy the moonroof. Kind of a rip if you ask me, but Mazda's not the only one who does things like this.
  • douglamdouglam Posts: 67
    Defintely get the moonroof if you can :) I almost bought a P5 without the moonroof just because the dealer didn't have the P5 in black. Now I have a Blue P5 with moonroof and I don't think I can live without one :)

Blue is very very nice too!

And yes, getting the optional moonroof deflector is highly recommended! Really cuts down on wind noise.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    That is a very nicely optioned Pro-5. Once you have a moon roof in the Mazda Protege, you can't go back. It's all part of the Zoom Zoom Zoom life style.

-love train
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Sorry you won't be able to make it...keep checking back, though. We're going to try to plan another meet during the summer, too.

--Dale
  • douglamdouglam Posts: 67
  • mustang87mustang87 Posts: 129
    my p5 is in ADDITION to my 87 mustang. the mustang is sitting and waiting for me to finish college, get a job and a house so i can restore it. loooove pony cars.

about the static. why not buy some seat covers. no more shock and the seats are protected, higher resale value down the road.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Happy Easter to All!

God Bless,
    Larry
  • starskystarsky Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I purchased a mica blue protege5 in the middle of February. Now that the weather has warmed up, I washed and waxed my car today. I noticed that the hood and roof feel as smooth as glass to the touch, but the sides of the car don't have the same feel - they are almost a little rough and have considerable more friction as you move your hand across them.

Is it possible that there is a consistency problem with the clear coat on my car? Has anyone else noticed this with their paint job?

Thanks!
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    mnkyboy, as seminole_kev and protegextwo stated you can just buy the moonroof. At the time I only wanted ABS, and the moonroof had to be purchased in order to buy ABS, not the other way around.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    If I could fit into a P5 with a moonroof, I wouldn't mind too much about having to get it. As it stands (or sits), I don't fit into a Protege or P5 with a moonroof. Thus, if I wanted ABS (which I might if it snowed more here), the Protege would be off my list because I plain don't fit into it.

I guess the demographics suggest to Mazda that most people should be fine with the moonroof if they want ABS. I just don't fit that demographic.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    I was told to expect it about summertime.

I was wondering if Mazda would put in one of their new I4s (such as the base engine in the 6) as an option. No turbo, "regular" gas, plenty enough HP and torque for me. Also, the wheel and tire combo they have on the P5 now are plenty fine for me. I actually kind of dread the ride on the Mazdaspeed 3 with those 17in, 45-profile tires. Heh, of course, I wouldn't mind if they put the Renesis rotary in either. :) The RX8 looks great, but I like the packaging and utility of the P5 better.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    I don't like sunroof/moonroofs. When I've had them in the past, I never used them. And I don't like punching a hole in the structure of the vehicle for something I never use. I do like ABS and Side Airbags. Just wish I didn't have to buy everything to get a few things I want ;-)
This discussion has been closed.