Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• sunbyrnesunbyrne Posts: 210
    The only part of that "package" that I really needed to have was side airbags, which of course requires getting ABS which of course requires getting the moonroof. I've never had a car with a moonroof before, but I can tell you now I as long as I live down here in Texas I will never have one WITHOUT a moonroof from now on. I love it!
  • bjewettbjewett Posts: 62
    I'm considering a P5 - or a subaru, or... driving my civic into the ground.

Would you all mind answering a few questions?

1) How is the engine noise at highway speeds? I understand the P5 stick is geared such that there are much higher RPMs at speed than the auto. Does it bother you?

2) How about noise off the roof? Does the moonroof deflector really reduce the roof rack noise too?

3) What kind of hwy mileage do you get?

4) How is the car for long, higher-speed runs? Can you drive 80+ for a long stretch comfortably (yes I know it isn't a Lexus)

5) How's the noise/vibration/harshness?

6) We'd all like lots of power, but is the power adequate? I'm curious about a summer Mazdaspeed P5 but fear it will have a big wing, 900-watt stereo and purple seats...

7) I think I know the answer, but how is the handling for hauling through on/offramps at 20 over the posted speed?

Thanks,
    Brian
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    New MPG high...

I usually get between 28-32 MPG in my 5-speed P5 (13k miles). That is in mixed driving.

This weekend I made the trip to my wife's folks's house in Maine. 3.5 hours each way, about 60% highway, and 40% fast 2 lanes (Rt. 4 & 202, 45-55mph)

On regular 87 octane gas, I got 34 MPG. :-D

I kept the HVAC in fan positions that kept the AC Compressor off, and I think that made a difference. Anyway... just thought I'd brag.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    1) How is the engine noise at highway speeds? I understand the P5 stick is geared such that there are much higher RPMs at speed than the auto. Does it bother you?

It's noisier then my Passat was but not by much and certainly not uncomfortable. Tires are a big casue of noise and the SP5000's are pretty quiet. Unlike my snows (Arctic Alpins) which are quite noisey.

2) How about noise off the roof? Does the moonroof deflector really reduce the roof rack noise too?

No moonroof and I took off my roof rack the first week (thought I didn't find it noisy).

Strictly highway and i'm hitting 32-34 easily.

4) How is the car for long, higher-speed runs? Can you drive 80+ for a long stretch comfortably (yes I know it isn't a Lexus)

I don't often drive that fast so I can't say. It cruises nicely at 70-75 though, with no problem passing slower traffic.

Not bad, but it is an "economy car" so don't expect Lexus levels.

6) We'd all like lots of power, but is the power adequate? I'm curious about a summer Mazdaspeed P5 but fear it will have a big wing, 900-watt stereo and purple seats...

The only confirmed turbo Protege will be the limited edition sedan, at least until the redesign comes along. I think performance is perfect, especially for around town driving.

7) I think I know the answer, but how is the handling for hauling through on/offramps at 20 over the posted speed?

Nothing short of fantastic!.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820

No it doesn't bother me. I suppose it might be perception though. If I was driving a Caddy, I'd be upset with how loud the engine is, but with this car, I don't mind it at all.

I don't know about the deflector, don't like the looks of it. I removed the cross bars b/c it was too loud when I opened the sunroof. With the sunroof closed it never bothered me. I have no problem with the noise levels with the sunroof open now that the cross bars are removed.

Don't know. Never bothered to check. I usually go by feel, and it feels like I'm going long enough between fill-ups.

I don't know, only have maintained 75 for any length of time. Hit 90 once for a short period, felt great. I never maintain anthing over 80 for long periods so it's not an issue for me.

Noise is average for the class of car, no real vibration. I think it rides kind of harsh, I can feel every crack in the road, but it's the tradeoff for handling I guess.

I feel the power is more than adequate for 95% of the driving most of us do. To me, it's not underpowered, it's just that sometimes you want more. Some cars are just plain underpowered. But, if more power meant more cost, I probably would not have bought the car, so I'm happy with the power as is.

Easy answer. Fantastic. I have a favorite right, left, right, ramp near my house, and it's a blast to fly through. The car flat out corners, I don't think anyone tries to dispute that.
  • Does anybody know how much fuel is in the gas tank when the little warning light goes on? Or at least how far you can go before you truly run out? It appears that it goes on any time that it's lower than a 1/4 tank, which is annoying since I don't like to bother going to the gas station until it's really important. (lazy) I could relax in my old car because my mom always told me I had like 50 miles or whatever. No reason to sweat it.

I'm crabby. Went to use the cruise control for the first time this weekend and it doesn't work! It'll stay steady for a few minutes, but then eventually start slowing down and then the cruise will turn off completely. And I realized how annoying it is to not know if the MAIN cruise button is in or out. There should be some sort of dash light showing that along with the 'cruise' light. I'll be taking it in this week and also checking on the availability of the cargo tray.

vf
  • pgillpgill Posts: 84
    1) It's all relative to what your experiences. My other car is a BMW X5, so compared to that, P5 is pretty noisy. But after taking my roof rack off, the noise has been manageable.

2) I don't have a moonroof.

3) 30+ on highway

4) My daily commute is 70 miles each way (80% highway, 20% rural roads) and I find P5 very comfortable to drive. I routinely drive 80 mph and occasionally drive at 90+ mph and find my P5 very stable and comfortable at those speeds.

5) Pretty good balance between road feel and smooth ride. No complaints.

6) You're not going to blow away a WRX from traffic lights, but I find the power adequate and it's "peppy" enough with manual transmission.

7) I have no problems following "sportier" cars off ramps at 20+ mph over posted speed limit. Plus, I routinely go 20+ mph over posted speed limit on rural roads in my daily commute...has therapeutic benefits.
  • reitrofreitrof Posts: 122
    I just came back from a trip from Boston to Montreal this weekend. Had the car fully loaded with Gear and my wife and 2 daughters. Cruising about 80mph both ways and got 28.6 on the way up and 27.6 on the way back. And that included bombing around Montreal.

Haven't seen too many P5's around Boston yet, but saw at least 15 in my weekend in Montreal, 3 reds, 2 blues, a mix of silvers and blacks and finally another yellow besides my own! Saw more P5's in Montreal than I have since last July in Boston. Kinda cool. First time I have seen another yellow on the road.

Actually came up on a blue one with 4 guys cooking down the 2-20 on the west island.
  • mustang87mustang87 Posts: 129
    i go at least another 50 miles after the light comes up.
    i do agree that its hard to figure out if "main" button for cruise is on or off but when i use the cruise, i always turn of the button now so i know its off next time i wanna use it. i am glad the cruise is not on a stalk like toyotas. but the buttons should be illuminated. also on p5's next to the fogs and dimmer button there is one empty slot that is not used. why not put an aditiional coil holder there? is that so hard mazda? why not put an additional power outlet. why do automakers take so long to figure things out?
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    Any advice on replacing the stock speakers? My main concern is squeaks and rattles in the door after doing so. What has everyone else experienced? What speakers sound OK with the stock head unit? Does anyone have pictures of what an aftermarket head unit looks like installed? Please feel free to email me.

Thanks!
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    I never have understood why it's necessary to turn off the main cruise control. For about 15 years on a combined 4 different cars, all of which have had cruise, I have never turned off the main. hmmmmmm......
  • elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    so you don't accidentally turn the cruise on. Not that it ever happens, but I suppose it could.

It's pretty safe to assume that when the light comes on, you've got <= 50 miles let. Mine usually comes on between 2 and 3 gallons, so you've got whatever you can get out of that much gas. I try to not let it go below 1/4 tank when it's warm and a 1/2 tank when there's any possibility it might freeze up. There's little in life worse than being stranded without gas.

The Pro5 would make an excellent commuter car and should be quick enough for most people, but is no WRX if you're just looking for blinding speed. Still, it handles like a dream and has power where you really need it, so it's hard to hold it against the Pro5 when it runs out of breat around 5000rpm or above 85mph. If you do normal, sane driving you'll never even notice. If you like to push the envelope or street race at all, you might really find yourself wanting more power. The fun in the Pro5 is that it handles well and needs to be wrung out to be fast. The practicality of the Pro5 is in its gas mileage, roof rack, hatch area, big backseat, 4 rear doors, etc. etc. etc.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Posts: 25
    theres about 2.5 gallons left when the fuel tank light comes on. i figured it out today. here's what i did:

The light came on, then i drove about 20 miles to the gas station. It took 12.385 gallons to fill up the fuel tank. Then I did the math, 14.5 - 12.385 = 2.2 gallons. So therefore I believe the light comes on when there is 2.5 gallons of fuel left. :)

I wouldn't drive more than 50 miles when the light comes on
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Posts: 210
    1) Engine noise at high speeds is pretty normal for this class of car. The slightly higher RPMs at higher speeds is mildly annoying, but only in the sense that I'd now like a 6-speed, but it's not enough to bother me.

2) I do have a moonroof. I had the car for about two weeks before getting the deflector and the deflector makes a marked difference.

3) I rarely drive pure highway, but lately I've been getting around 28 with about 60/40 highway/city.

4) Hmm, the only long stretch like that where I've wanted to go 80 for long stretches was on a road trip to San Antonio (I live in Houston). Unfortunately, there was too much traffic and I generally had to stay around 75-80. It was fine for that.

5) Similar to other cars in its class. As others have noted, the suspension is a little stiff, but I like that. Of course, Houston is mostly pretty smooth concrete, not the choppy asphalt of the midwest.

6) I find the power adequate. Of course I'd love another 20-40 horses, but I don't find myself cursing the lack. Now, my wife's 99 LX with the 1.6 in it, that's underpowered.

7) Heh, the handling is the best point of the car's performance. I routinely ignore yellow speed signs for curves--the P5 handles them without difficulty.
  • little9little9 Posts: 30
    First, do the rear seats of the P5 lie flat or do they merely fold forward giving an uneven floor when carrying a load? Second, what is a cargo tray? Does this hide items in the "trunk" from view when the rear seats are up? Third, can one order a P5 to specification or is it necessary to shop several dealerships to find what you want? Fourth, do you know of any dealers in Missouri/Illinois who do deals via the net. Have been seriously considering the Elantra GT but am not happy with the rear seats which do not fold forward to form a flat bed. Thanks.
  • Thanks for the answers everybody. I'll keep it under 50 miles when the fuel light is on. I couldn't remember ever reading the size of the fuel tank to figure it out myself.

If you go to MazdaUSA.com you can see the what sort of stock is available at your local dealership. Go to the "Locate a Vehicle" section. It shows the color, transmission, options, MSRP, etc. It also tells you if the dealership does deals on the net.

The rear seats fold approximately flat after you undo the seat cushions, but the trunk space is still lower than the seatback area so it's not completely level and flat. The cargo tray is a tray that covers the trunk floor to keep it clean, there's already a privacy cover (removeable) on the trunk lid to keep the contents hidden. You can probably still order a car but any dealership is going to try and get you to buy what's on the lot first.

vf
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    Say I would like to get that and the bumper protector....however I'm too lazy to go back and read the messages to find out a couple of places that may already have these items in stock. Could you post where you guys got yours without having to wait 9 months?
    My Cargo Tray and Net have finally reached the dealership! My wife is going to pick them up this afternoon. Ordered on March 5th and arrived today. Not a moment too soon either as the weather is improving the stroller will be going in the hatch a lot now, and I don't need dirty stroller wheels ruining the hatch.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Posts: 25
    oh my goodness, I have to wait at least a month for my cargo tray?! I've ordered it on 3/23, i guess I have 2-3 more weeks of waiting
  • douglamdouglam Posts: 67
    Yeah, i would only try to go around 30-50 miles when the light comes on. You never know how well placed the gas line is at the gas tank. Getting air into the gas line isn't a good idea either.

I really don't see the point in running the gas tank till there's only fumes left. Not that you're shaving seconds off laps while going to pit stop like those Nascar racers. :)

So when the light comes on, just try to get to a gas station at your earliest convenience :)
    Maybe not badboyeee, it sounds as if they are becoming more plentyful now. So if supply is picking up your wait may be very short.
  • douglam: *laugh* I don't try to run it close to empty, but it always scares me when the light comes on. For whatever reason it makes me feel like I need to get to a gas station in the next 500 feet or my car will die.

I've been thinking about getting the cargo tray also so I'll check availability when I get the cruise fixed. Anything else I should ask about?

vf
  • wardie1wardie1 Posts: 1
    Just picked up my new P5! I seem to like the car more and more each time I drive it. All the info found here helped tremendously thanks for the posts. I was in need of a new work car and this fit the bill perfectly. I shopped everything in its class and some that were a lot more $$$. This was the last car I test drove. I almost didn't even do that as it looked like it would be small on the inside. Boy was I wrong. There is a lot of room especially in the foot well. Couldn't beat the deal either. Was able to get the car for $350.00 over invoice with the 3.9% financing and $500.00 college grad money making the net deal $150.00 below invoice not sticker! Was considering the Matrix/Vibe the P5 is way better. I can't get over how well it handles. Now I know why the miata is so popular. What a great car.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    You can drive until there's 1 gallon left if you want. The light does exactly what it's supposed to...it's a WARNING light...I would be pissed if the light came on and suddenly the car stopped because there was no gas.
  • little9little9 Posts: 30
    Thanks for the information re: cargo tray, configuration of the cargo space with seats folded, and especially for the referral to the MazdaUSA.com site.
  • douglamdouglam Posts: 67
    well... it's your car, so you can also drive until you're out of gas if you want :)

If you're driving in cold weather, it's recommended that you keep your gas tank full most of the time to prevent moisture from building up in the tank.

http://www.carcarecouncil.org/0102gas.htm

Anyway, the last Civic that I had didn't even had a fuel light warning, so I'm already very glad that there's some "form" of warning with my P5 and don't mind if it's a light or icon :)

• boopoppaboopoppa Posts: 48
    so i took my blue 5spd moonroof pro5 down to raleigh over easter from Pittsburgh to visit some friends. got about 31 mpg for the trip and that was cruising at 75-80 most of the way.

the best part of the trip however was when i got stopped in parking lot in raleigh by a lady asking how i liked my car. she was interested in buying one, loved the way it looked, and so i was able to just go off and tell her how much i loved my car and every detail that i loved about it and that she should go out right now and buy one :-)

btw, i'm turning 25 this month and wish i could keep this car in beautiful mint condition until i die.

pro5 for life!
    boopoppa
  • limpyboylimpyboy Posts: 26
    Hey, does anybody have a guess on why P5 insurance would be higher than similar wagons?

I'm considering P5 (It's way in the lead), Subaru (Impreza) Outback Sport and the Toyota Matrix.

All insurance companies seem to charge about 10 percent more for the P5.

Oh, and another reason not to let the gas tank drain completely is that it's possible for sediment or trash in the bottom of the tank to get sucked into the fuel system. I'm sure this was a bigger problem on older cars...

This board and its members rock. Thanks everyone for all the info.
    boopoppa, good to hear you are still enjoying your car, don't see ya around here so much anymore.

congrats wardie1, it is amazing how big the inside of the car feels. At 6'-2 and with a moonroof, I don't feel cramped inside at all.

fuel tank light is somehwhat unnecesary for me. I have always filled up at 1/4 tank, and I pay attention to it, I don't really need a light to tell me to do it. As for waiting till you have a gallon left to fill up? Thats fine, but don't get stuck anywhere. I was on the turnpike once a few years back and was getting low on gas. I passed up a station since the sign said 50 miles to the next one, I figured no problem. Well when I got to the next one it was closed for repair! Ugh, I'm about on empty! I pretty much coasted into the next station, but ever since then I never push it that far.

Insurance. It's weird. We talk about it all the time. When I was shopping the P5 was actually the cheapest to insure of my choices. The rates vary wildly around the country, ages, companies. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    One other thing to consider is that virtually all cars nowdays have in tank electric fuel pumps. These pumps rely on the gas in the tank to help keep them cool. Running the tank too low on a regular basis can result in premature failure of the fuel pump. This generally results in a vehicle that won't start or stops running, generally requiring a tow to the repair facility. If the vehicle is out of warranty, this is not an inexpensive repair. One reason they give you a larger tank but have the light come on when it does is to give a decent mileage range while still retaining a sufficient supply of fuel to cool the pump.
This discussion has been closed.