Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kwood1kwood1 Member Posts: 1
    Went to ask about a 2007 highlander today and this was their initial offer..
    nonhybrid
    2wd, 4X2, V6
    5 speed auto
    value package 5
    8 way pwer driver seat
    daytime running lights
    leather seats
    lighted color keyed running boards
    color keyed rear spoiler
    woodgrain finish
    tow prep package
    MSRP: 28,440
    Sale price: 27,900
    Process fee: 400
    Accessories: 2,700
    total purchase: ~31k
    plus tax, title fee

obviously not gonna pay that but what would be good offer for that or how much would they come off of that. In the southeast and newbie so any help appreciated.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Easiest, simplest way is for you to go to this link: Edmunds.com and plug in the numbers yourself using your own Zip Code. Just look for the new car area, select year, make, model, etc.

That will tell you what others are paying in your area for a like-equipped car. ;)

It seems to me I have seen others post nearly the same price for a Highlander Limited and the Hybrid. Keep in mind the Hybrid will still get you a $750 Federal Tax Credit as well...
  • cowboy7cowboy7 Member Posts: 16
    If you are referring to the TMV prices Edmunds web site is quoting, I find it usually $1,000-2000 higher than what the true market prices are for MSRP ~30K cars.

One good source for what a fair price is is this exact forum you are reading- see what other people are paying.

Another good source is www.fitzmall.com. Check out the prices on their list, and compare the rebates between where fitzmall is (Maryland or Pennsyl for Toyota) and where you live. That will give you a good idea too. If you can match what fitzmall is offering, it usually means you have done well.
    Goodness! You should email Edmunds!
  • sammyssammys Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know what wholesale buying guide the Toyota dealers make use of when offering trade-in amounts for cars?
    I was at two dealers in NY and they both seem to use the same guide, which I do not know the name of.
    I'm also wondering if that guide is on the internet somewhere.

Thanks.
    SammyS
    Perhaps it was the Kelly Bluebook :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Probably Galves, if it was in the Northeast..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, that was it...Galves.
    It most definitely wasn't Kelly's.

*By the way, if anyone is interested I found a link that will allow you to find the value of a used car using Galves via Accu-Price. It's a 2 step process where the second step the [Dodge] dealer wants to know what car you are interested in getting a quote on. You can just enter any valid car (choose pre-owned) and any name/phone:
    http://www.galves.com/tradein/accuprice_pricing.jsp?dealer=5049

Thanks.
    SammyS
  • brenjcbrenjc Member Posts: 2
    did you end up leasing with the terms you quoted before, or did you have to go with a 39 month lease?
    I am picking up my Highlander in the next day or so and I thought I read somewhere (maybe even in one of these forums) that the remote could be reprogrammed to open all 4 doors at one press as opposed to just the front doors at first press and all the rest at second press. I requested that he have the remote reprogrammed before I pick up the car.

My salesperson says that pressing the remote once will only open the drivers door.
    I have a feeling he didn't understand what I wanted him to do before I pick up the car.

Am I wrong - the remote is not able to be reprogrammed in this manner?

SammyS
  • casnasscasnass Member Posts: 3
    Actually, I was so angry at the Toyota dealership(s) that I decided to get the Honda Pilot instead. So far it has been a good buy now that Honda is offering a $2,500 rebate.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Am I wrong - the remote is not able to be reprogrammed in this manner?

I had my 05 Highlander limited's remote behavior changed by my dealer...it took all of about 10 minutes. They have to hook up a hand held device to the computer port, and just select that option. My friend had it done to his 06 Highlander Limited also. One push of the unlock button now un-locks all four doors.
  • taylor35taylor35 Member Posts: 39
    Toyota dealers get on the phone to their wholesalers and get a quote for of the car. They are not going to pay you anymore than they would have to pay for the car at acution. In other words, they will offer what that car brought at local auction the past week with adjustment for miles and equipment-- price is gonna be lower than Kelly trade-in almost EVERY TIME...... :cry:
    That is why the savvy buyer will sell his car through the certified program to a private party. There are companies that will inspect your car, and offer mechanical certification, it helps you get a better price than you would through a dealer, and offers peace of mind to the buyer. :)
    Well, I picked up my non-Limited Highlander (2006) today. The dealer said he was able to get the technician to have all 4 doors open only with the key turned once in the driver's door. He said there is no way to reprogram the computer/remote to allow for all 4 doors on the first button press on the remote.

It must be that the Limited's use a different mechanism or something.

SammyS
    Most studies show significant safety in NOT opening all doors at once. It does prevent someone from getting in through the passenger side door when you unlock the car... ;)
  • jkoshy18jkoshy18 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted something real basic and simple, for city use - so i went with the
    2006 base highlander 2wd 4 cyl. - Brand New - Silver Mettalic; basic accessory package, roof rack, mats, privacy glas..

I got it for 21,375
    after tax and tag 23,200 ( was looking to get it for 23,000, so kind of upset about that )

Do you think I should of got it for cheaper? or is this the best i can scrape up?
    thanks!!
  • davidwangdavidwang Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2006 highlander 4DR 4X4 SUV Sport for $31,200, 0% for 60 month in Seattle, WA, is this a fair price? I compared with fitzmall,(unfortunately I did not know the fitzmall before I purchased the vehicle) looks like $1000 over fitzmall price, but the dealer showed me they sold me with their invoice price.
    Remember, "Invoice" price should be more accurately described as their "Gross" price, not the Net Price. ;)

At the end of the month, or Quarter, the manufacturer typically rebates to dealers, based upon sales volume. Such deals are called Spiffs, and might reduce their invoice price by a $1000 or more...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter seeks to interview people who switched from a GM model, Chrysler 300C, or a Ford to a Toyota, Honda or Nissan. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 18, 2006 with a few relevant comments and your daytime contact info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    In Boston area they have been advertised past few months for around 18-19K, but that may be because they are only 2wd and 4 cyl. Most want the awd 6cyl in my area. I bought new 2004 Highlander with same features as yours for 19.5k before taxes and that was low then.If you live in area with little or no snow, the basic 4cyl 2wd may be more popular with less discounting.
  • davidwangdavidwang Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a new vehicle, but changed mind later, want a different model, anybody can point out where to look at the laws regarding vehicle exchange or retun? I did a google search, but get few useful info.
  • lynnkushnirlynnkushnir Member Posts: 15
    that's an awesome price, was it a new '04 still in inventory or a certified preowned w/ some miles on it?
  • lynnkushnirlynnkushnir Member Posts: 15
    unfortunately, unless there is a major defect in the automobile so your purchase is warranteed under the lemon law, rule of thumb, as soon as you drive that new car out of the showroom it depreciates a minimum of 10%. it's no longer a 'new ' vehicle, no one could lease it certainly. but if you have a good relationship w/ your dealer and w/ your salesperson, and it's toyota w/ a great residual you should be able to return to the dealership and work something out for the car you really want. which model did you purchae and which one do you want?
  • nikitavvnikitavv Member Posts: 1
    Hi, First timer for this great forum. I need help in deciding which crossover is good for the price for the following: Highlander versus honda pilot/cr-v or even Lexus RX330. Also I need the best deal you got in Ohio for AWD/4WD models. Thanks :confuse:
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    I can answer the first part of that question in saying that the highlander is good for the price. But the pilot is bigger than the current generation highlander. The Lexus RX330 is basically a more luxurious highlander that is more expensive. Also if you want to buy a highlander wait till they redesign it next year because they are supposed to make it bigger around the size of the honda pilot. The next generation highlander from what I have researched is supposed to come out in spring 2007 as a 2008 model. I have not yet found though any photos of what the next generation highlander will look like most likely there will be photos of it in December or January right before the autoshow.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Not everyone thinks a bigger car (SUV) is better. I happen to think the current size of the Highlander is perfect. But each has his/her own needs, likes etc. I am anxious to see the next Highlander, but hope it isn't as big as the Pilot. JMHO

Price for what you get, is also personal. Thats what makes USA so wondeful..lots of choices. Highlanders or Pilots, both should be able to be purchaed at or near invoice.
  • ct9805ct9805 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I am about to pay $36,000 + tax for HYBRID HILANDER 4WD V6 LIMITED without 3rd row and Nav system. Is it a good price. Need advice.
    Thanks
    Read over the three or four pages previous to this one for some recent posts by those who have bought the same model as you.

I beleive for that price, many have gotten the Nav system as well..... ;)
    Thanks. But I've already paid for the car. I did check the Fitzgerald Auto Mall and all the same model as the one I bought are all more than $36,000. I like the car so far. How do you think about the extended warranty 84 months or 75,000 miles for $1500 with no deductible?
    From the Edmunds main site, they link to Warranty Direct....I have been pleased with their service and good AM Best Company rating. They have been around over 25 years, and offer a warranty that wraps around the already-longer powertrain warranty. ;)
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    It's listed at $875 on toyotawarranty.com and shows $1,475 as full list price.
    Thanks, $875 is a good deal. 40% saving there. Do you know what are they covered. (bumper to pumper?)
    I got a quote $935 for 84 months or 75,000 miles for the hybrid (platinum protection) with no deductible.

This is from their FQA's website (Toyota of Iowa City):
    "If I buy the warranty from a dealer in Iowa, will it be honored in Florida, California or New York?"

"Yes, This is an actual Toyota Financial Services Warranty and any franchised Toyota Dealer can repair your vehicle."

How does it sound?
    WarrantyDirect offers true bumper to bumper coverage, 7 years, 100,000 miles, $100 Deductable for $1,100. You can have your car repaired at any Toyota dealership, anywhere, or any licensed repair facility.

It includes, for $165 more than your quote, besides the greater mileage:

Virtually every mechanical, electrical and computer related part of your vehicle is covered. Just like your factory warranty, it lists only a limited number of items not covered.
    Type of coverage Mechanical breakdowns
    Wear-and-tear failures
    Unlimited number of claims
    Coverage includes, but not limited to Engine, Turbo/Supercharger, Transmission, Transfer Unit (4x4), Drive Axles, Steering, Electrical, Front and Rear Suspension, Brakes, Anti-Lock Brakes, Air Conditioning, High Tech Electronics, Cooling, Fuel Delivery and Seals & Gaskets.)

What else is included? FREE Deluxe 24x7 Roadside Assistance Membership
    $100 towing benefit
    Lost Key/Lockout Service
    Mechanical First Aid
    Emergency Tire Service
    Battery Boost and more…
    Car rental for up to 8 days per occurrence
    Travel interruption benefits
    60 day money back guarantee

You may use ANY repair facility of your choice. Choose your dealer, trusted mechanic or national chain, it's up to you.

Claims are paid directly to the repair facility with our corporate credit card. There are no paperwork, billing hassles or waiting to be reimbursed.
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    to my knowledge the extended warranty does cover these things however the , hybrid system, traction battery and its components are excluded. they are of course covered by the toyota mfg warranty.
    It's a TOYOTA Platinum (bumper to bumper)warranty, not some after-market that can go bankrupt and leave you with nothing. Get on the web site and check them out. Call or email to make sure that $875 is for the Hybrid or not.

I purchased this warranty from them with no issues.
    Dear me....you have had this happen to you personally, an aftermarket insurer going bankrupt, and leaving you holding the bag :confuse: My sympathies.....

The larger companies in this, have been around longer than 25 years, and are top-rated by A. M. Best, the company who rates all insurers. Some of them actually handle the warranties that the manufacturers sell, at a nice profit. ;)
    IF (and that's a big if) I purchase an extended warranty, it has and will always be from the manufacturer. IF, I do purchase it, I won't pay the inflated (FULL) price. Do whatever you want, but buying from a third party is asking for trouble.
    Well, we all have our preferences, and what is good for you, or me, isn't necessarily good for someone else....

I have used Edmund's sponsor, Warranty Direct for nearly 18 years, and have had less hassle from them, and gotten more coverage, more items included, than with GM, Ford or Toyota's house coverage. I have always paid less, and gotten longer terms and miles as well.... :)
  • mgoldsteinmgoldstein Member Posts: 58
    Any word yet on rebate and finance incentives for November 2006? I could not get my act together by October 31.

If the offers are different by region, I am in the Philly area.
    The Federal Tax Credit is now half what it was, but better than nothing. Check the prices paid forum, for what users have recently paid. :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased an SUV and crossover because of its optional or standard third-row seating. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• timothyvtimothyv Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to buy a 2007 Highlander V-6 2WD with 3rd row. Please advice on a good place to buy around LA and how much. I got quotes so far $26,945 O-T-D. Is it good enough? Thanks.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    You might want to use one of the Internet Buying Services where the dealers bid against one another. And also check out invoice prices for your particular model and accessories. And look at Dealer Incentives etc. It is always nice to know just how much the dealer has to put out for that Highlander.

I know of someone who shopped Dealers in person. And thought had the best deal, after talking with several dealers. Then she went on the Internet and got an ever lower price from the same Dealer that swore he couldn't go any lower.

She was disgusted with that Dealer to say the least.
  • rsriram22rsriram22 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have the vehicle inquiry report for 06 highlander(toyota) and it does not have any amounts for whsl. financial reserve, dealer holdback, tda and gasoline.

Am I looking at the correct document? or is there a different "invoice"/buyer report that may possibly have the amounts filled in against these????
  • jbongojbongo Member Posts: 3
    Last offer was:

$32,400 @ 2.9% for 60 months, 5k down

for

2006 Oasis Green Limited Highlander with all thats jazz: Leather, Sun Roof, Sirius/6 Disc Changer, Heated Seats, Wood Paneling, Climate Control etc etc etc

Can I get better then that?
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    Is that about 3K off MSRP? Around here they are offering 2006 Highlanders for 7K off MSRP. The 2007s I suspect will be about 3K off MSRP with some negotiating.
  • jbongojbongo Member Posts: 3
    With all the options the sticker prices is 36k... but the MSRP without options is only like 32k...