Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    Yes, the CX-9 was high on my list, but what was kind of like the deal breaker for me was the second row seat did not have a captain's chairs configuration so it would be easier to get to third row unlike the HL where you just take the center piece out of the second row and you have an instant "pass-through" aisle to get to the third row. And yes, I did have a concern about cargo space behind the third row.

Hopefully I'll find something I truly like especially if I have to take "a beating" on trading in such a new car.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,435
    Please...

No phone numbers in the forums...

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    plamarineplamarine Member Posts: 11
    Herb Chambers in Auburn
  • Options
    midwestboundmidwestbound Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to be passing through MN and may want to follow in your footsteps. Can you share what dealership you went to and how you approached it (site visit, cold call, e-mail)? Thanks!
  • Options
    newcar40newcar40 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote of $35,100 for this Highlander Sport AWD with these options. MSRP: 39,239
    * 50-State Emissions
    * Auto Rear HVAC
    * Cold Weather Package
    * Cross Bars (PIO)
    * Front Dual Zone Auto HVAC
    * Leather & Heated Seats (3-row)
    * Navigation & JBL Premium Audio
    * Power Back Door
    * Sunroof
    * Tow Package
    * Wheel Locks/Alloy (PIO)

Is this a decent price? Any advice? Thanks!!!!!!
  • Options
    arielparielp Member Posts: 2
    MSRP is $37,659.00, I got it for $36,750 OUT-THE-DOOR from Toyota of Fort Worth.

2008 Highlander Limited in Metallic Gray

JBL AM/FM 6-Disc In Dash CD Changer with
    Hands-Free Phone Capability via Bluetooth
    Wireless Technology, Satellite Ready
    Capability, (Requires: Subcription to
    XM or Sirius, Antenna and Receiver),
    MP3/WMA Playback Capability and 9
    Speakers (including sub woofer) in 7
    locations
    50 State Emissions
    Multi-Stage Heated Front Seats
    Power Rear Door
    Auto Rear Air Conditioning System
    w/ Rear Vents for 2nd & 3Rd Row
    Vehicle Shield Package
    Lusterizing Sealant
    Sound Shield
    Sealant Cleaner
    Rental Car Assistance
    Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
    The Extra Mile Option Package E
    Running Board
    Bodyside Molding
    Carpet Mat Set
    Carpet Mats - Three Piece Set
    Rear Mat
    Third Row Mat
    Mud Guards
    Cargo Net
    First Aid Kit
    Fabric Guard
    Custom Tape Stripe
    Wheel Locks
    No Charge Extra Mile Benefits:
    Road Hazard Tire Warranty
    (3 years / 36,000 miles)
    Roadside Assistance (3 yrs/36,000 miles)
    Extra Mile Service Rewards Program
    (5 years / 60,000 miles)
  • Options
    08fe08fe Member Posts: 9
    I got a great deal ( $ 800 over invoice for a HL Limited 4x4 with Nav in the color I wanted ) and am a happy customer. The dealer negotiated courteously and didn't try any high pressure sales in the finance office. I know I put the squeeze on them just a bit but was ready to buy if they were ready to deal. I think they would have liked more profit but they certainley gained a fan. Roseville Toyata in the Sacramento Ca area.
  • Options
    99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    scottgbwi, where in WI did you end up buying? I'm looking and would like to know if you had a good experience and if so which dealer. Thanks
  • Options
    scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    It's too early to tell if I my experience will be good. It hasn't been a perfect situation so far. The car is possibly going to be ready for pick up tomorrow. I had financing all set up w/a pre-approved check. Dealer waited until yesterday to tell me they don't accept the check from the bank. The first reason I was given from the dealer is that they don't get paid for over a month w/that check. I contacted the bank & was assured the dealer will receive the money w/in 24 hours. Upon recontacting the dealer I was then told it's just a policy they can't accept the checks. Another slightly irritating issue has been the body molding one. I read on-line a long time ago there was issue with these. I told this to my dealer & he said he never heard of this problem. When he called yesterday to say the car would be ready soon, I asked him about it. He then told me there was no molding. Little things like that just kind of make me question the process. All could still work out well. I should be hearing back from the financing through the dealer. Am hoping they offer me a 6% rate also. I'll update after the sale goes through. Am hoping to give a very positive review. Any insight regarding my issues would be appreciated. I'm hoping I'm not making more out of these issues then needed. Take Care, Scott
  • Options
    Thanks Scott. It seems like for a $30K plus transaction that service could be a little more professional.
  • Options
    thegman230thegman230 Member Posts: 17
    I hate to say it but you need to RUN as far away from that dealer as you can get. They are scamming you and do not deserve your business! Not accepting a certified bank check? are they kidding? Either they think you are as gullible and dumb as a box of rocks to fall for that trick, or they are THAT stupid themselves. I think it's the former. Next thing will be they get in the car and you go to pick it up and it's not the right 1 you ordered and they will try to make a " deal" on THAT 1! Never heard of body sode mouldings? Are they kidding? If this is the way they operate to " earn" your money, then they need to go out of business and I would report them immediately. They are liars and scam artists to get you to use toyota financial services for your financing. RUN RUN as fast and far as you can. Just think what kind of problems you will have with that dealership if you do get the car from them in the long run. OMg I had a good laugh.
  • Options
    I agree - your dealer doesn't sound trustworthy. A bank certified check should be happily accepted. I just paid for my new HL with a check from my credit card company and a personal check which I asked them to hold for 5 days - they had no problem with either.
    Sounds like your dealer just wants to make the money on their financing.

Do your research on a maintenance package and extended warranty - the finance office will try to sell you those as well.

Body side moldings do not come standard - they are an accessory that you can order and have put on later if you like - don't let those be a deal breaker. Have't heard about the probelm you reported.
  • Options
    mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    I have to agree with the past few posts. RUN do not walk away from this deal. The dealer is obviously getting something for making you finacne via Toyota.

What dealer is this?
  • Options
    The dealership is in Sheboygan, WI & it's called Lakeland Toyota. Thanks for all the information. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was thinking that way. I'll proceed w/great caution.
    Scott
  • Options
    Reference all your advise, regarding "runnin" from the dealer. Numerous phone calls today went back & forth regarding financing & picking up the car. They found financing that was acceptable, but of course was through Toyota. After all was said and done, just waiting on me to schedule a pickup time, I got a call from the dealer, saying the price was under-quoted. The quote he gave me was three thousand under what he "meant" to type. So now the price got raised back up. I thought the price he had quoted was low, but who am I to argue. After he raised it up three thousand he came down a few hundred more. While now it may be a "fair" deal, and not a "great" deal, I'm planning on walking away. The dealer seems nice, but I had enough.
    THanks again for help.
  • Options
    lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Do you have a low quote documented by the dealer, and do you still want the car at that price? If yes then threaten your dealer to file a complaint with local BBB and State Attorney General for switch and bait sales practices. I'd file a complaint anyways since your "nice" dealer did everything to screw you up.
  • Options
    hunebearhunebear Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 08 base highlander 4WD with a few extras on it. I paid 31,118 OTD. I have the 6 cd changer, convenience package, tow prep package, Manual rear A/C system, daytime running light package and the 3rd row seat. I went through my credit union and the MVCP program and I paid $100 over the dealers invoice. No haggling, no stressing. The total MSRP on the vehicle was 31,094. Oh I also got the extended warranty (which cost 995). So w/o that I would have only paid 30123. Which I believe was the exact price on edmunds.com. I went to Russel Toyota in Catonsville, MD. The sales guy was terrific. Though when I returned the following day to turn in my check from the CU and my title of my trade in, the finance guy was a total jerk! But I didn't have to deal with him long. I did all my "buying" online via email and it only took me a couple of hours at the dealership to test drive and complete the paperwork. I believe I arrived at 10am and was out the door by 2pm. I totally recommend going through your credit union and see if they have a buying assistance program. I've bought all my cars that way (except for my Saturn because they don't participate) and never had any regrets. Hopefully I will have a very happy relationship with my new vehicle tho. I don't intend to spend that much money for a very long time!!
  • Options
    Best way to figure out if you're being offered a fair or great deal is to do the math. Not sure if you've looked at Edmunds.com and added it up. I'd say $ 1000 over invoice for a HL Limited 4x4 with Nav is fair - anything over isn't - anything less is great.

You're dealer still sounds like a jerk. My dealer told me that the crossbars were included on my roof rack but then found out that wasn't the case. Instead of reasing the price to include the crossbars they threw them in at no charge. Granted it's only $ 150 but I was only paying $ 1000 over invoice. If they had raised the price $ 150 I probably would have still bought. But if a dealer raised their quoted price by $3K I would be very upset and would take my business elsewhere. There are many Toyota dealers around and the HL's are just getting more plentiful. He's not playing nice - don't reward that behavior. It only hurts us consumers in the long run.
  • Options
    Everything is documented with emails. I also received a fax of the specs on the highlander I was going to receive. This is copied & pasted from the email "Dear Scott,

The price for my incoming Highlander with the E5 (exhaust tip), BM (body molding's), V4 (remote start) and DVD would be $35,595 plus taxes and fees. The DVD is pretty nice, it has a 10" screen as opposed to the standard 9", it has 2 wireless headsets, the FM modulator which allows it to be played through the radio, an audio and video connection (camcorder, etc.) a game port for your play station, X Box or whatever, and some built in games with a controller.
    All together a better system and you will save some money. If that works, just call me with a $200 credit card deposit and I will put you name on it.

I also had gave him my credit card for a deposit to lock it in. This was for a limited highlander. The DVD was an aftermarket one.

Scott
  • Options
    If they took your deposit that means they sealed the deal.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. Deal sealed at that first price - not oh I meant to write $ 3K more.
  • Options
    lucky, I took your advice. We'll see how it goes. It takes a while for the paperwork to get in the system. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    What was the car price before tax & title, can you itemize? What warranty did you get? You can save $300-400 by buying extended Toyota warranty elsewhere. Normally warranty that you bought from the dealer can be canceled within 30 days. Do some reading on the warranty if you want to save a little dough.
  • Options
    apaoneapaone Member Posts: 18
    Looking for a 3 year lease on a 08 Limited. MSRP is looking around $39,800. I am trying to determine the lease price and would like to know what I should be using for a money factor and residual value percentage? Excellent credit, so I was thinking money factor should be about 0.00259. Is a residual of 58% too high? How much over invoice are people negotiating Limited to now? $500 - $1000?

Located in Massachusetts.

Thanks.
  • Options
    nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    I have a 2003 V6 AWD LTD Highlander with 112,000 miles
    its in immaculate condition
    Has tow hitch, new michelin tires, new heated windshield.
    Kelly Blue Book says "good" trade in is around $14,000 to $15,000

Went to a dealer today to trade it in on a 2008 Highlander and the dealer offered me $8,000 trade in.

I told them they were smoking.
    AmI being unrealistic, or od KKB trade in value way over?

thanks
  • Options
    Nimrod99, It's interesting that you ask about KBB, because I just had a dealer quote KBB prices to me to negotiate the buy side as I'm looking for a used Highlander. The short of your question is that KBB is high, but not that high. I'm sure if you asked the dealer to show some reasoning for his price he would come up with some NADA loan value or something like that. What a racket.

I know they would never use the KBB wholesale value as that's a lot higher than they would ever pay.
  • Options
    rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    Regardless what KBB says, my quess is that the dealer basically is trying to tell you polietly to sell the car on your own. 2 year old car should have around 25-30K miles, not 112K. Not too many people are looking for 2 year used cars with so many miles.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,435
    A 5-yr-old Highlander with over 100K miles? Most dealers won't want anything to do with that. Hard to get a reasonable loan on a car with that many miles.

If you want an accurate estimate of the vehicle's worth, try posting the details here: Real-World Trade-In Values

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    FYI
    Its 5 years old (not 2) with 112k miles
  • Options
    rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    oops, somehow I read it as 2006, not sure how. Anyway, it is sitll around 2X mileage what is should be. Dealers are not to keen on taking cars with 100K/over. Actually, I think that $8K is not too bad as first offer. KBB is not realistic and does not take in account current market conditions. With all the makers giving easy financing/incentives, it will be hard to get ~$14K for car as such.
  • Options
    de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    Hi all in the southeast region (AL,GA,SC,NC,FL)! A new lease program was announced today through Southeast Toyota Finance.

2008 2wd (model 6946) - $299 a month/48 months/$1,999 down/12,000 miles per year.
    Residual : 42%
    Tier 1 Credit Money Factor: .00214
    Based on MSRP of $28,164

39 month (model 6946) - $329 a month/$1,999 a month/12,000 miles per year.
    Residual: 49%
    Tier 1 Credit Money Factor:
    MSRP: $28,164.

I hope that helps everyone in all regions interested in leasing a Highlander.
  • Options
    gtaogtao Member Posts: 3
    2008 Toyota Highlander Sport V6 4x4 w/ 3rd Row

Installed Options:
    FE: 50 State Emissions
    EH: Cold Weather Package Includes:
    - Heated Power Outside Mirrors,
    - Windshield Wiper De-icer Grid
    HJ: Homelink Universal Transceiver
    LA: Leather Seat Package Includes:
    - Leather Trim Seats
    - Multi-Stage Heated Front Seats
    PN: Anti-theft Alarm System w/ Engine Immobilizer
    QC: Front Auto Dual Zone Climate Control System (Includes Steering Wheel AC Controls)
    QR: Auto Rear Air Conditioning System w/ Rear Vents for 2nd & 3Rd Row
    SR: Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade
    TO: Tow Prep Package includes:
    - 5,000lbs towing capacity,
    - Heavy Duty Radiator w/Engine Oil Cooler,
    - 200 watt fan coupling,
    - Transmission Oil Cooler w/ Water Cooler,
    - 150 amp alternator,
    - Pre-Wire Harness
    MF: Mudguards
    WL: Wheel Locks
    3T: Cross Bars
    Z2: Preferred Accessory Package
    - Carpet Floor Mat/Cargo Mat,
    - Cargo Net,
    - First Aid Kit

Dealer asks for $32,383

I live in Boston, MA
  • Options
    Best way to find out is look on Edmunds.com and get the base price then add all the options plus delivery and Toyota ad fee and whatever you think is a fair profit for the dealer.

I'd say this to most of the people asking about whether it's a good deal or not - do the math and figure it easily for yourself. It's best to be informed when you're making a deal for over $30K. They more research you do the better.
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    gtao, if your installed options are Option Combo E, which you can determine from toyota.com or the Highlander brochure, then this is a very good deal. The "invoice" on the 2008 HL Sport AWD with these options is $32,552, and that package does not include the mudguards, wheel locks, cross bars, or preferred accessory package. Even if this is Option Combo D, on which the "invoice" is $32,255, this is a great deal.
    Note: Option combos differ slightly by region. I am assuming your region is the same as mine.
  • Options
    ekcoachekcoach Member Posts: 1
    That quote of 32,383 sounds like a great deal. I believe that price is the same as the invoice price. I am looking for the same vehicle and have done a lot of homework. According to edmunds, that is the invoice price and if you can get it for that, great.
  • Options
    Thanks. Now I am using this offer to counter other dealers. hope I can get a better one.
  • Options
    Wow - I'd love to see if you can get below invoice! I paid $ 800 over about a month ago - for a more rare Limited 4x4 with Nav - so paying under invoice now would be a really great deal!
  • Options
    pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
    We just picked up a Cypress Pearl / Sand Beige Leather Highlander Sport yesterday from Krause Toyota in Fogelsville, PA. It is over 500 miles away from us, but they had the option packages and color we wanted. MSRP $37,550 We paid $33,970 + TTL. This price was the dealership's first offer and I happily took it.

Options include:

Navigation with JBL Sound, Cold Weather Pack, Dual Zone HVAC, Rear HVAC Digital Controls, Moonroof, Power Rear Door, and the Floor Mats.

We actually started our search at a local dealer who located this particular vehicle within a 500 mile radius. The local dealer did not want to trade for a vehicle this far away and offered to factory order the same vehicle for $34,075. We declined and they graciously offered up the other dealer's information. I called Krause and made the deal over the phone. I did have to buy a $98 plane ticket to Allentown, PA, but the salesperson picked me up at the airport which is only 15 minutes away from the dealership. All in all, a great experience.

I just wish Toyota would not pre-determine which option packages they are going to send to their particular regions. I still can't believe this vehicle doesn't have Homelink. Oh well, the Homelink mirrors are only around $200 on Ebay.
  • Options
    joshuableujoshuableu Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for some direction on the purchase of a 2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited; Waveline Pearl/Tan; all options.
    I live in the Scottsdale, AZ; known for having very unfriendly auto dealers. I have driven the exact vehicle with all the options and I believe it is a great product. The caveat is I am not at this time willing to pay MSRP. Factually there is over $6,000 difference between invoice and MSRP. If you add in dealer holdback there is almost $8,000 in profit at MSRP. I am trying to find any dealer, in the Western region, that will take an order on this vehicle, deliver it at any point in the next 3-4 months at a price that is reasonable to both dealer and buyer. Any suggestons?
  • Options
    We closed the deal with another dealer:

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport V6 4x4 w/ 3rd Row
    Magnetic Gray with Ash Leather

All the options:

CT, DK, EH, FE, HJ, LA, PN, QC, QR, RB, SR, TO, MF

The MSRP is $37,513

We got it at $32,300 which didn't include tax, doc fee etc.
  • Options
    monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    I don't think that is going to happen that soon. Toyota is building these in Japan, probably not in large numbers. If the dealers can sell all they have at list price, or only slightly under, they will not negotiate.

If you want it cheaper, you will probably have to wait at least four months.

The only thing I can suggest is if you can find a dealer in an area where the dealer's allocation is not in demand. I believe the dealer makes more money by selling it on their lot rather than shipping it to another dealer.

I know northern midwest states have not been a good market for the HH (it is too expensive and most people do not understand them and/or do not care about improved gas milage).
  • Options
    The best deal that I have been able to find right now is 5% over invoice on a fully loaded HiHy Limited which is about $3,000 off sticker. I know many would say to jump at it bu that is still over $5,000 in dealer profit on one vehicle.

Do you know any specific dealers in the midwest I might try?

I do appreceite the thoughts and input
  • Options
    jsilverjsilver Member Posts: 3
    How are you able to get $3K off sticker for the HiHy Limited? Where are you located? Did you deal go in and negotiate with the dealer or get a quote over the internet? I live in the Bay Area and can't seem to get under MSRP. Even carsdirect.com quotes me $1800 under MSRP but when I follow up with the dealer they say they can only do MSRP.
  • Options
    frugal5frugal5 Member Posts: 1
    jsilver, I have the same problem. I am looking for a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, White and I can not get any dealer to give me a price below MSRP, save a hundred bucks or so.
    I would love to wait a few months for demand to decrease, but my significant other is not that patient :(
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    pkbrownpkbrown Member Posts: 3
    I've had written confirmation of $1400 over invoice on a fully loaded 2008 HH Limited from two dealerships:

Camelback Toyota (Phoenix, AZ)
    Carson City Toyota (Carson City, NV)

Both dealership regularly deal with California sales (yes, local sales tax is paid on the transaction) and are matching each other in price and in effort to get me the car first.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ekkiekki Member Posts: 4
    I was quoted $43,500 for a Hybrid Highlander Limited, (loaded minus rear entertainment). The price they quoted me for my trade in was criminal: $3500 that lists in KBB as trade in for $7,000. They tried to make up the "favor" of coming down from the MSRP. I had to walk out. :confuse:
  • Options
    asanthebasantheb Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I were all excited about buying a new midsize crossover/SUV. We did a lot of research on the internet and had really set our eyes on the Toyota Highlander. We live in a suburb of Dallas, and we scheduled an appointment at the Toyota at Lewisville. I was kind of excited at the prospect of buying a new crossover - but I must admit that i was quite disappointed with the sales people in the Toyota dealership here at Lewisville.

I scheduled an appointment to test drive the Highlander. On the phone, I was greeted rather enthusiastically - so I was expecting a good experience. Little did i know what was in store for me. I was honest with the folks that I was not planning to buy that day but i was really interested in evaluating the Highlander. Firstly the salesguy who was supposed to show me the car was not interested at all...He sent me towards another salesguy. The first question out of this guys mouth was whether i could afford the $30,000 + highlander!!! i

I found that question really insulting.. but decided to persist because i had driven half an hour to get to the dealership.. He then showed us a model of the Highlander on the floor. we looked at it - and then when I asked to do a test drive - his initial reaction was more like - oh no!! why a a test drive??.. I reminded him that I was in dealership because i had scheduled a test drive.. Finally we were allowed to test drive. When I asked for pricing - he just asked me to look on the internet.. That did it for me..

I did not like the Highlander because the space behind the 3rd row seat was inadequate..

Later that day, i went to a GMC dealership and looked at the Acadia... The sales guy was so polite that I am now much more inclined to take my dollars to GMC..

Have any of you guys had a similar experience at a Toyota dealership?
  • Options
    jsilverjsilver Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased the HiHy Limited this evening from Toyota 101 in Redwood City, CA. It's in the bay area and Toyota dealers seem to really be sticking to the "no discounts from MSRP". I got "Package A" which is the basic package (no ent system or nav). I ended up getting $800 off MSRP. The caveat is that the only one they could find that had the colors I wanted included the Cold Weather Starter for $530. The Cold Weather Starter has little to no value to me. I think I could have negotiated a few hundred less with a little more patience.

Looking back, it seems that there's really an extensive premium for Hybrid right now, and I think it's going to be really a tough sell to sell these to middle America with such a premium. MSRP for the Hybrid is $5-6K more than the non-Hybrid plus non-Hybrid seems like it is going for $2-3K under MSRP. Renting "An Inconvenient Truth" for my wife seems like it ended up costing me about $7500. Nevertheless, I'd much rather give my money to Toyota than oil producing countries and companies.
  • Options
    pkbrown, I am in the Phx/Scottsdale area. I tried to deal with Camelback Toyota and they stuck to MSRP. Which person at Camelback were you able to get the $1,400 over invoice price? I realize that you cannot post a name on the board, could yo please e-mail me directly.
  • Options
    de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    I am sure one could find "pathetic" salespeople at any dealership or showroom. Just like there is good cop bad cop :)