Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    hoosierbuffhoosierbuff Member Posts: 1
    Does this seem like a good deal?

Its a limited, so, I think it has most everything. It doesn't have navigation, and it doesn't have any dvd or anything like that.

on edmunds the dealer price "for starting negotiations" is $29,500. The private party price is $26.5K. The car is not certified (though, I could get it certified for more cash).
  • Options
    veeberveeber Member Posts: 3
    When the next batch of HiHys come in, I don't think it will be too long before they start offering considerable discounts from MSRP. The economy is looking worse every day. I figure that invoice + 750 will be a fair offer.
    If you don't rush to buy now, you could save 1000 for every month that you wait.
  • Options
    veeberveeber Member Posts: 3
    Bay area dealers have lots of non-hybrid stock. On Oct 26, a dealer was advertising nine limited 4x4s for $3000 off MSRP. Hybrids are in short supply now, hopefully this condition will improve.

Did anyone notice that Toyota greatly reduced the number of hybrid "option packages" on their web site? I thought package "D" looked like just what I wanted, but now the "D" option is gone!
  • Options
    lio1lio1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, first of all sorry for my bad english: it's not my native language,
    I need your help to understand the situation.
    I'm living in Canada and I want to buy the HiHy. I see that many canadian people went to US to buy both Prius and HiHy, and I see too that the price in the US is much more inviting than here.
    But I don't know if the purchase out of Canada for a canadian resident is legal and what are the rules to follow.
    But - first of all - if I'd purchase my HiHy in the US, when I'll be here in NB - Canada, the car's warranty are still valid?
    If I'd have problem with battery or consumption, I'll have the right to have assistence by the local dealer?
    I've tried here at local dealer, but :cry::cry: :sick: with my poor english, i cannot discuss the price or other things, so no discount, no choice...... I want to pay cash for the car and I was thinking to have a good price with a good discount, but NOTHING!
    I know that for having a good price, I have to discuss (it's the same everywhere ...) but for me it's impossible here in english.
    and BTW, it's just because I'm too a woman, that my power in getting a good price it's less than zero :(
    I hope you can understand my english and you so kind to explain me how the things go on!
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    hymoghymog Member Posts: 3
    We bought a '08 HyHi Limited for $1500 under invoice two weeks ago from Stevens Creek Toyota in Sunnyvale. It has every option except Nav. I got the quote through Toyota's on line "get a quote" page. All the calls I got were for $300 under invoice except S.C. (Costco wanted $300 over invoice.) The salesperson later claimed the $1500 under was a mistake on his part and should have been $300 under, but did honor the quote.

But....I got suckered into buying a 100,000 mile (7 year, no ded.) extended warranty for $2850 and now have buyer's remorse. Anyone else buy one for the Highlander? What did you pay?
  • Options
    jsilverjsilver Member Posts: 3
    hymog,

Can you confirm that you paid $1500 under INVOICE and not $1500 under MSRP for the 2008 Highlander Hybrid? If so, that is several thousand dollars better than the best deal I have heard from anyone.
  • Options
    hymoghymog Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Too late... you only get 30 minutes to edit.... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pkbrownpkbrown Member Posts: 3
    joshuableu,
    please post your e-mail on this board and I'll send you the contact I have at Camelback.
  • Options
    brain2brain2 Member Posts: 6
    This is the best i can find right now in the SF bay area.
    Am i missing something or is this about what everyone else in northern california is seeing?

approx. $1900 over invoice (edmonds)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited (A5) 4dr AWD
    Price: $ 35,655.00
    Exterior Color: Magnetic Gray Metallic
    Interior Color: Ash

VEHICLE DETAILS

Engine: 3.5L V6 DOHC SMPI STD
    Transmission: Electronic 5-Speed Automatic w/Overdrive STD
    Tires: P245/55R19 AS SBR BW STD
    Wheels: 19 in. x 7.5J 5-Spoke Aluminum Alloy STD
    Front Bucket Seats STD
    Leather Seat Trim STD
    2.93 Axle Ratio STD
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 6,000 lbs STD
    Monotone Paint Application STD
    Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set/3rd Row Mat $180
    Radio: AM/FM/6 CD Changer/9 JBL Speakers $473
    Heated Seats $352
    Power Back Door $320
    Rear Automatic Air Conditioner $468
    Rear Spoiler w/High Mount Stop Lamp $160
    Power Tilt and Slide Sunroof $680
    Towing Prep Package $176

VEHICLE PRICING

Price $ 35,655.00
    Documentation fee(s) (not gov't. fee) $ 55.00
    Taxable Total: $ 35,710.00
    8.50% Sales tax $ 3,035.35
    Subtotal with taxes: $ 38,745.35
    Registration (title) and license fees? $ 328.00
    Additional Official fee: $ 20.75
    FINAL PRICE $ 39,094.10
  • Options
    mzlawmzlaw Member Posts: 3
    Just got 2wd 08 limited with heated seats, power door , jbl bluetooth stereo, tow package, spoiler, rear dvd 10 inch , rear ac, floor mats, pin striping (didn't really want that) . Negotiated deal out the door of $35,141. Had to wait 8 weeks with deposit then dealer tried to addd$ for tow and I got upset. They eventually acquiesed and apologized and gave 1 year free service. and honored price. They wanted dealer fee of 899.00. I could care less as long as tax tag dealer fee out the dor was 35141. 6% tax here so iguess they sold it for bout 32000. plus the dealer fee and tax andf new tag it came exactly to the 35141. ealer said was takin loss but they all say it. I know not much profit on this one but they moved the unit immediately. Now I want extende warr. I hear something about midwest toyota $560 for 7 yr 75000 or 100000 i'm not sure which any info would be appreciated. do not want to buy third party vendor. Want real thing which will be honored. Dealer offered about $1200 for extended. Any input?
  • Options
    Hi, lio1..

Trying to import a US model into Canada can be complicated.. Please check out this forum: Importing Car into Canada from US

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    lio1lio1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Walt!
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm going to check your link.
    Have a great day
    Lio
  • Options
    user0user0 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,
    Is $2700 below MSRP a good deal for a base 4x4 highlander now?
    Should I wait a month later for a better deal?
    thanks.
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    user0, I suggest working up from invoice rather than down from msrp. Aim for $500 over invoice or better. You should have no problem getting this at the end of this month and next.
  • Options
    pushingtinpushingtin Member Posts: 16
    You're kidding right? You can get nearly 3 grand off the best crossover SUV in its class and you're wondering if you can do better? Toyota offers the safest, most durable, highest resale values of any car manufacturer out there - why worry about price? Price is something that you pay once.....you should be more worried about cost of ownership of the particular vehicle your buying. It COSTS less to own a Toyota than any other car in America. Paying for value and peace of mind should be the most important factor in buying a car - not price.

I'm trying to understand why car shoppers seem to care so much about price...in buying a car, usually the second largest purchase that we will make in our lives as consumers, something we depend on for our livlihoods as far as getting us to our jobs, schools, churches, etc., something that we put our most precious cargo in daily and expect the vehicle to perform when needed, but protect us always. Let me ask you: Would you not pay a little more for this peace of mind?

Yeah, I sell Toyotas, and I believe wholeheartedly in my company's products and the value that they offer to our customers. And quite honestly, I don't think that you should be able to buy a Chevy, Chrysler, Nissan, or Honda for the same price as a Toyota - we offer a far superior vehicle from top to bottom. You can save a little on PRICE and buy a comparable sedan in look and feel.....but keep in mind, it will COST you three times as much to own this vehicle over a five year period than it will to own a Camry.

If any of you have the time or inclination please read my blog titled "pushingtin" as I am here working as an advocate for the consumer offering advice on car buying and tips on things to beware of at your local dealership.

I will answer your questions, give you whatever inside information that I have, and work on your behalf to ensure that your car buying experience is a positive one.
  • Options
    easy there big tin. just trying to get some info. i rather pay 30K than 31K if i could help it... i'm not comparing anything with toyota...
  • Options
    Different dealer had different "invoice" figure, so i used MSRP for comparison ease cuz they're pretty much consistent. final number came out to be about $300 under their invoice... who knows what that invoice is...
  • Options
    "I'm trying to understand why car shoppers seem to care so much about price..."

Did you notice the title of this discussion? Price is what we are all about.. If you don't understand that, then you are likely to be of little help to us.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    afifafif Member Posts: 10
    what a hilarious posting
    -first of all, you can buy an acura, infiniti, nissan,or honda and be assured that the vehicle will run as long as a toyota. Maybe they will run longer and cheaper-did you see the latest Consumer Reports on Toyotas?
    -secondly, like the host said, we try to get the car we want at the cheapest price- I have no interest in leaving one extra buck on the table. If I have 5 Toyota dealers in my area, I buy from the cheapest.
  • Options
    bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Great info, Im not in the business but everthing u say is true, Toyota leads the world in quality durability and reliability. Cost to own over 3-5 years is always lowest just check intellichoice. :surprise:
  • Options
    ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    pushingtin,

I am so happy for you that you are so proud of Toyota products.
    Even my family owned more Toyota's than any other brands of
    vehicles during last 25 years. But as far as claming "we offer a far
    superior vehicle from top to bottom" is bit of a stretch.

Every vehicle manufactures have weaknesses and strengths in their
    product line up. My current Toyota is 2002 Highlander. It has about
    65000 miles on it. So far it's been ok, but had one major issue at
    60000 miles. It was fuel injection related and cost me several hundred
    to repair. I've never had major issues like that at 60k miles on any other vehicles before including Toyota or other brands.

I think at one time MB built great vehicles and reliability was better
    than average, but not anymore. One reason might be, they are producing too many different models in their lineup? I hope Toyota
    is not repeating same mistake as MB. So far I've had great reliability
    and cost of ownership with Nissan/Infiniti products.

As far as people shopping for better deals: Why Not?
    In U.S. at a dealership, two people buy same exact vehicle and one
    can pay $3000 more than the other one. As long as that exists, people
    will shop for better deals. I've worked in Auto business in the past, so
    I know all about it! Some will get great deals and some will pay extra
    to support the dealership...

happy thanksgiving!
  • Options
    vlaadyvlaady Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2008 Highlander in Ohio
    4WD 5Spd Auto Trans.
    Hill-Start Assist & Downhill Assist Ctrl. 19" 5-Spoke Wheels
    Daytime Running Lights
    Tire Press. Monitoring System
    Power O/S, Heated Mirrors
    Fog Lamps
    Rear Backup Camera
    Tilt/Telscpg Leather Strg Whl
    Premium Cloth Int.
    3rd Row Seat
    Center Stow Seat & Center Stow Console
    Cold Weather Pkg.
    Towing Pkg W/ Hitch
    Upgrd. Eng Immobilizer
    Auto Sunroof
    Plus all the other goodies like, All air bags Remote keyless entry, Scotchguarding Upholstery, Etc.
    Service and support top-notch
    Retailed at $32,540.00 No tax
  • Options
    goooals11goooals11 Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased an 08 AWD Sport w/Nav and some other nice options. MSRP was $37,150. I bought for just under $33600, which is $500 over invoice. I asked, and they said yes as I knew I wanted to walk out of the dealership with a car. Purchased from San Diego Toyota.

The wife and kids love it so far!
  • Options
    rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    You are funny guy.. I am pretty sure you do not complain when someone comes to your place and pays MSRP and more while others pay less.

I bought HL Sport ~2 months ago with very few options for the price I would pay for almost fully loaded GM/Ford SUV. The higher invoice already reflects quality while the quicker depriciation on GM/Fords etc, reflect the massive rebates those two companies were doing for the last 5 years.
  • Options
    pushingtinpushingtin Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the feedback, especially from the host.

I was simply trying to state that there are differences between price and cost, and that educated consumers need to think about the entire life of the vehicle as it relates to how long each will own that particular model.

I completely agree with trying to get the best price on whatever purchases that we make, but on most items that we shop for in general we pay the MSRP. The bad reputation of the automotive sales industry and any deception that may exist on behalf of the dealership is the result of the haggling consumer. Meaning that if a prospect walks into our dealership and I happen to "up" him or her, go over the entire vehicle, demo the vehicle, discuss price or financing, etc. and then get the whole "this is my first stop in my process of finding a new vehicle, thank you, may I have your card?" This customer then proceeds to another dealership, has all the ammo they need to negotiate a better price by stating that xxxx Toyota gave me xxxx price, and so this dealership in fear of losing a sale "drops their pants" and accepts the lowball offer.

In short, I did all the work, all the wining and dining, with nothing to show for it. And yes, I'm sure I have been the beneficiary of this "shopping" many times, but the deception I believe, starts with customer. And that my friends, has led to this ethical malpractice that we all have seen at some point.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    budalbbudalb Member Posts: 5
    I got a price of $28,058 for a 2008 highlander AWD base model plus options:
    cold weather
    convenience package
    AM/FM/6 CD
    rear manual AC
    carpet floor/cargo mat/3rd row mat
    tow prep
    daytime running light
    immobilizer

plus ~$300 doc fee

Is this a good deal? I am planning to pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks
  • Options
    rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    Can't speak for everyone but in my close circle of friends, very few people pay MSRP on anything other than utility bills, i.e. things you cannot wait to go on sale and cannot negotiate. Most of those people have combined annual income ~75K-100K, so we are not talking bottom layer here.

All the commodity items from clothes to houses go on sale at some point. While it would be stupid to negotiate small price items such as toothpaste and soaps, items such as cars and houses make it worth while for most.

Finally, even the health care is going into this direction. My company is coaxing people to sign up for CDHP plan which in theory is consumer driven plan and gives you the flexibility of negotiating your medical pricing with doctors. This works kind of well if you looking for face lift and not so well when you have emergency type needs.

So the only time you'll get MSRP is if someone does not care for whatever reasons or someone who cannot wait.

Well, as haggling, people coming and going, it is part of the business. This is not Toyota specific issue, it is part of the sales whether you sell cars, siding,TVs or anything else.

Good luck
  • Options
    ighigh Member Posts: 60
    I buy all my big ticket items online. I do my own research online.
    I do not want to talk to any car salesman while buying a car.
    I want to go into a car Wal-Mart, pay cash, and pay invoice.
    Even test drive is sometimes not needed based on widely
    available reviews. Unfortunately, the screwed up dealership
    system does not allow for such a model. Let people who want
    full service may MSRP. Is there an invoice option for me who wants
    no service?
  • Options
    spacejamspacejam Member Posts: 7
    Here in Courtesy Toyota of Brandon Fla.The price they told me is 1% over invoice.Check there website see for yourself MSRP/Invoice . :):)
  • Options
    bwwwalkerbwwwalker Member Posts: 1
    So it was $28,058 + $300 doc fee + tax?

That's a great deal. What is the name of the dealership and where did you get it?
  • Options
    qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Even test drive is sometimes not needed based on widely available reviews.

I agree about doing your homework online before stepping foot in a dealership, but I think it'd be foolish to skip the test drive and rely only on other peoples' reviews. No offense to our hosts here ;), but I find most auto reviews to be fairly useless in terms of determining whether a vehicle is right for me.

Those who skip the test drive are the very folks who wind up complaining after their purchase that the seats don't adjust high enough. Or there's too little lumbar support. Or the liftgate is too hard too close. It's too late at that point!

The pre-purchase experience, at least for me, is one area where a dealer can differentiate itself from the competition.
  • Options
    budalbbudalb Member Posts: 5
    I finally picked up one from another dealer due to unavailability of the color I want. All the dealer in Hartford, CT region quote me the invoice price (the one shown in carsdirect.com, not edmunds.com). The one I picked up is base (red) + cold weather +conv package + Tow prep + daytime running light for 27,292 + 329 (doc fee) + tax + reg. The dealer throw in a set of carpet mat/cargo/3rd row mat for signing up VIN itching. I took that because the original car doesn't have mats. Additional 158 was added to the above numbers.
  • Options
    santobonisantoboni Member Posts: 6
    I have been quoted a price of $24,490 (plus $685 delivery and $100 dealer process) for a base Highlander with options that bring the MSRP to $29,355 (invoice is $26,535). I think this is a good price, but wanted feedback. I need to bring my car in to see what they will give me for a trade-in, but otherwise was planning on buying tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    what options does it have? Is it 3 row seating?
  • Options
    Yes, third row seating. It is the base with Option C.
  • Options
    tomhawk1tomhawk1 Member Posts: 12
    I just received this pricing from a dealership and am wondering what anyone thinks. I don't think its too good. If I look at Edmunds pricing it shows a sport model invoice of $26,655. With leather invoice is 28,800. Am I including everything I need.

I am looking at a 2008 highlander sport 2wd suv. I asked for pricing on just the base model and one with leather.

Here's what I got.

Without leather: MSRP $30,915.00 Selling price: $29,154.00
    With leather seats: MSRP $34,885.00 Selling price: $32,359.00
    The one with the leatehr seats also adds to the standard equipment the following:
    Premium JBL radio with 6 CD changer
    Bluetooth cell phone wireless technology
    Windshield de-icer grid
    Dual climate control
    Power moonroof

Thanks for any help
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    So I was quoted $37.7K for this Limited V6 4WD with navigation (NV), rear-seat DVD player (EY), rear climate control (QR), heated front seats (HD), power rear door (PB) and moonroof (SR). The MSRP is $42.4K = $4.7K off MSRP. Well, it seems like the invoice is $35.7K. But it looks like a good deal during this early production time.
  • Options
    ty5240ty5240 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

New Here!

We went to the Boch Toyota in Norwood Mass dealership and are very interested in buying the Toyota Limited 2008

Mind you this would be our third Toyota purchase from the Boch dealership.
    We have always been treated well but this time it was horrible....

They would not move from the MSRP price of $38, 895
    Our other two Toyota's which we did get a great price from Boch
    I also did my home work and had it with me and did try to make a deal.

I really think I need to start looking at other dealerships.
    I was also told that the Toyota Limited is high on demand and they were
    in competition with Honda Pilot,that is why they would not budge from the MSRP price. I also think it is kind of strange since Boch
    owns that dealership also. As well as more dealerships along the stretch of road.

We live in RI so are open to....

Any suggestions.....

ty5240
  • Options
    richbraverichbrave Member Posts: 8
    Rule number 1:
    NEVER buy an extended warranty for any vehicle. It is a waste of your money and money right into the dealers pocket.

My question to the dealer is always: "Why do I need it? Do you have that low of quality in your vehicle that I need an extended warranty? If so, I need to be looking elsewhere." Get's them everytime.

On one of my purchases, I got an extended warranty free, because I kept refusing to pay for it, and almost walked out of the deal.

Even Consumer Reports has talked about passing up on the extended warranty.

Good luck
  • Options
    If this deal is really $2k over invoice then this deal is not a good one for you but it is for the dealer ;)
  • Options
    Won't budge from MSRP? Tell them that's too bad since you were looking to buy today and were thinking more along the lines of $500 over invoice...
  • Options
    ty5240ty5240 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Skinnytony,

Yes we did leave Boch Toyota
    I am going to contact Toyota Dealerships here in RI
    I do not need to do a test drive since I already did so.
    Is there anyone here on the forum that would recommend
    a dealer ship that you are happy with.

Also there is no low interest rates threw Toyota right now
    we do have a number on credit but would like to get the
    lowest poss.....

Does anyone here have an idea when this may come out
    by Toyota....

thanks
    ty5240
  • Options
    ge22ge22 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a Highlander Sport from Woburn Foreign Motors - they worked below the MSRP on this model - you should inquire about the limited - worth a shot.
  • Options
    In the Mid-Atlantic there is a financing deal - it was announced mid-November. Strangely very few dealerships here are advertising it and I had to ask.
  • Options
    tom88888888tom88888888 Member Posts: 3
    I live in So. Cal and am in the market for a loaded (minus rear entertainment system) hybrid limited. the dealers here think they are selling Ferrari's and are very inflexible on pricing. Looking to lease. Can anyone on the site give me an idea of Msrp, lease rates, residual rates and money factors. I"m looking for a 2-3 year lease with over 730 credit. thank you for any feedback
  • Options
    apaoneapaone Member Posts: 18
    You may want to check with Tri-State Toyota in Dudley, MA. I looked at a fully loaded Sport (Nav, leater, power rear door, etc - all but no-DVD) there and they went down to about $750 over invoice. I walked since I was really looking for a Limited with Nav (and no-DVD) and would have only taken the Sport if they came down to $500 over invoice (and gave me a reasonable price on my trade in). They tried to get me to look at a loaded Limited with Nav and DVD and tried to start negotiations at $38k. I am not interested in the DVD so I didn't bother.

My challenge is getting a Limited with Nav and no-DVD in New England. It appears that dealers in PA have this configuration, but New England dealers all have Nav packaged with DVD.
  • Options
    mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Can you tell me what the financing deal is? I looked at the Toyota site but I must have a brain freeze cause I cannot find it.
  • Options
    rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    You should try their other dealership in North Attleboro, Mass. It would be closer to you anyway. I was able to buy a sport model from the Norwood dealership for a little less than $1000 over invoice a couple of months ago. They also told me that these models are in high demand, but I didn't buy it, and told them so. Maybe you just went there at a day when they already made a lot of sales. Since their North Attleboro dealership is smaller, they might be willing to do more to make a sale than their other dealership in Norwood.
  • Options
    3.9%/36 month; 4.9%/48 months/5.9%/60 monrhs. The financing guy at the dealership told me that it came out mid-November (the 16th maybe), which is why many dealers are not advertising it. I think he said it was a regional promotion (I am in Washington, DC). It is not on Toyota's website or most dealer sites, but in shopping around I asked. After initially responding no, I persisted and told them that it was being offered by other dealers, they checked their book and they found it. Good luck!