Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Engine Sludge Problem

Comments

• Options
    john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    How many sludge complaints has the company received to date. When the SPA was announced, there were 3100 complaints. How many have been received to date?
  • Options
    pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    For the record. This is the first instance where I've posted anything, anywhere, since last December. Too much contrived Toyota bashing, plus a serious car accident slowed things down a bit for me in the interim.
    Question. What are the results of Toyota's research on the cause(s) of sludge?
    Thank you. I think the position taken by Toyota is unprecedented and extremely generous. They've gone the extra mile IMHO. Hat's off to a great automaker.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Toyota is still blaming the customer for oil change intervals beyond the recommendation. They refuse to admit the owner's manual may be incorrect and need shorter change intervals.

"When maintained according to schedule, it is extremely unlikely that any vehicle powertrain will develop this condition" This means it is possible yet they refuse to admit it , they state quite emphatically, it is not a design problem.

Sorry, but I am not really a Toyota basher but this is just SPIN CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!. Please jsut admit the owner's manul needs to be revised and go one with life
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Wouldn't this open Toyota up for additional exposure to warranty or Toyota-paid repair claims?
  • Options
    pdalpsherpdalpsher Member Posts: 136
    the topic. I also want to thank Toyota for their new position on this issue. I purchased one of the vehicles covered by this issue last summer and sold a '90 Camry that had 223k+ miles on it.

I have to admit I don't have the same confidence today that I'll see 200k on this engine that I had when I bought the car. Based on my experience with the Camry I didn't even look at another brand.

Questions for tmsusa1....
    Will an explaination or root cause be officially recognized on this issue so I can do what needs to be done maintenance-wise to get my 200k+ miles on this Toyota?
  • Options
    webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    am relieved, and do not feel like I will get stuck down the road with a huge repair bill, provided I maintain my car properly. The "Toyota Customer Support Program" news release is at least not worded in a way to humiliate the customer, as the previous SPA letter. It provides piece of mind to know I did not make a HUGE mistake in purchasing a Toyota, as I found the original SPA insulting, from a "customer service, PR" point of view.

Question's...Since the news release addresses the 1997 through 2002 models, will there be a change or modification to future models (2003)?

IF so, will there be any recommended changes to the 1997-2002 models, such as maintenance, or part changes???

Thanks Toyota for stepping up to bat! (or is it still Toyoto! LOL)
  • Options
    sttropez1sttropez1 Member Posts: 51
    I don't think Toyota would ever admit any wrong doing on their part. Just the numbers tell us that their liability spans over 3.3 million engines produced since 1996.

Do we need to bring this to the attention of the media, perhaps Mr. Bill O'Reilly of the Foxnews cable channel?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    To: sttropez1

Hmmm.... how much better than this (see below) is a TV reporter going to do for you? I mean, if an 8-year warranty doesn't satisfy you, why not?

AND

To: armdtm: Why did you call this "spin"? If a person gets an 8-year warranty no matter what, plus incidental expenses, why do you think they, or you, would care about the ultimate technical aspects of the problem? Curious.

"To make sure that customers have absolute confidence in their vehicles, this program will cover repair costs and incidental expenses for which a customer has paid or could incur as a result of damage due to oil gelling for a period of eight years from the date of first sale or lease without a mileage limitation."
  • Options
    mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    Does this mean that past owners who have had there engines rebuilt already will be reimbursed or is this just for future problems that may occur with current owners?
    Thanks
  • Options
    wrichar107wrichar107 Member Posts: 15
    This is a recap of a previous post I made on Edmund's Town Hall before I realized this site existed. My 2000 Sienna XLE has 16,642 miles on it and has had 5 oil changes since it was new. The oil has always been changed before it had 4,000 miles on it. The engine now shows signs of something very unhealthy looking as confirmed by the presence of a layer of black, gritty material that can be scraped from the surface immediately below the oil filler cap. Recent laboratory analysis of an oil sample reveals approximately twice the normal level of silicon (22 ppm), almost three times the normal level of sodium (20 ppm), and more than twice the normal or expected level of calcium (2229 ppm). The name of the lab that performed this test will be provided upon request. Comments anybody?
  • Options
    jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    What do you think about the theory that bobistheoilguy posted on the now closed forum regarding the gears in Toyota engines breaking down the oil?
  • Options
    hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    What an amazing and great thing for Toyota to do! While I have confidence in the V-6 in my 2001 Highlander, for Toyota to come up with an eight year unlimited mileage program shows - to me, in my opinion - that THEY certainly have confidence in their engines. Otherwise this would be a big fiscal risk for them (to go out eight years with unlimited mileage).

Thank you, Toyota, for this move...I think it is a great customer service move and will be helpful to you PR wise, too. Good move!
  • Options
    rkelly3rkelly3 Member Posts: 3
    Just my 2 cents worth, regardless of who/what is at fault it takes brass to offer an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on this issue with no strings attached (as I interpret the 4/3 letter).
  • Options
    is great, but remember, it's just for gelling, not the new drive- train warranty. "When maintained according to schedule, it is extremely unlikely that any vehicle powertrain will develop this condition."!
  • Options
    john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    I think Toyota still has many lingering questions to answer. Their statement is still silent on the root cause. Actually they still blame the owners, but more politically correctly this time.

The testing conducted on Toyota engines by the oil expert indicates that the Toyota-recommended oil breaks down after only 4000 miles. Yet, Toyota is maintaining their 5000/7500 mile oil change interval.

If the oil expert's analysis is correct, and the number of sludged vehicles seems to be indicative that his analysis probably is correct, than something is still not kosher.

The oil expert recommends a 3000 mile oil change interval for these particular engines. Who pays the difference between that interval and the Toyota recommended interval?
  • Options
    Toyota has made it clear, according to the press release, that if you follow their maintenance schedule, they will pay for any resulting damages, for 8 years, unlimited mileage, for the sludge/gell issue. That's 5,000 and 7,500 mile intervals. 3,000 miles is the good old fashioned way, and I'm stickin' to it, so as not to get stuck. Eight years is a long time, and besides, sooner or later something is going to break, anyway, depriving us of our cars for a while, to repair. If they want to foot the bill, let 'em! I wonder if incedentals, means if I am on vacation, they will pay for the hotel and meals, while I wait for the repair? Toyota has gone above and beyond with this new policy! Also, if you go by the 'ol rule, that 1/2 quart of sludge, oil, and debris stays in your engine after each oil change, it would take about 8 years to sludge "any" 3.0L engine! 8^)~
  • Options
    rkelly3rkelly3 Member Posts: 3
    Question for TMSUSA1:
    Based on the past posts, is it safe to say that a quality synthetic oil changed at conservative intervals is something that Toyota Corp. would "recommnend" to its owners who may be concerned about sludging ?? Also, are owners of Highlanders with tow packages (oil coolers) less prone to this potential problem ?
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    To: armdtm: Why did you call this "spin"? If a person gets an 8-year warranty no
    matter what, plus incidental expenses, why do you think they, or you, would care
    about the ultimate technical aspects of the problem? Curious.

Why can't they be honest and simply say they do not know the cause, change the oil change interval and admit that sometimes under specific circumstance the oil will gel. Guess the inability to accept responsibility goes around the world. Sure, they will pay but like a court settlement, we admit no problem but will pay damages.

Sorry, this is SPIN to me and still accepting no responsiblity for a problem. As I have stated many times, I own a Toyota, a 92 Cmary but would never buy another. Arrogant dealers, arrogant corporation cheapened products in the past 5 years and Bland models!

Sounds like if we are paid off we don't care what the problem is or if anyone can accept responsibility. Ethics are just going down the tubes worldwide.
  • Options
    clnelsonclnelson Member Posts: 4
    well the dealer called us today to say he got a fax saying 8yrs/125,000 miles and they can now fix it. perfect toyota timing, you see i had just purchased an engine when the first letter came out and could have backed out of it then but 6 weeks ago i was told my toyota with over 80,000 miles would not be covered and so i paid for a used engine and just picked it up last night to get this great news today. we changed oil every 3,000 miles and used synthetic oil since the desludging. before we were on this schedule we had done the 5,000/reg oil, that schedule failed and we had to pay to desludge under 30,000, and yes we had receipts. As for the coverage of extras like rental cars...well after calling toyota in california they said it is still individual case decissions and so i wonder ....afterall i have been without my van for a little over 4 months this time. my question is are they going to cover the first sludge expense and rentals both times and the used engine we bought to replace the seized one in addition to the repairs they are now offering to do? by the way i might have a toyota engine for sell if we dont keep for back up.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    It looks like this is also about to dengrate to Toyota bashing.

pdalpushr: I wouldnt worry about your new Camry. I just bought a 1997 LE 4cyl with 227,000 miles on it and it runs beautifully. I actually drove the car yesterday. Aside from some slight front suspension wear (Struts have had it, but this car came out of Detroit) the car is still very smooth on the highway. I had the cruise on 85 last night!

Tomorrow it gets picked up by a transporter and its' leaving the country along with 7 others.

It too, is sludge free.

As far as Sludged Toyotas go, I know of two RX300s that sludged here in Orlando. Both went over a year and over 15,000 miles between oil changes.

(Both were serviced at Lexus of Orlando where the tech who did the work puts his initials on the oil filters..)
    But as I have maintained before again and again, I have seen sludged Hondas. I HAVE seen sludged Nissans, Jaguars, Land-Rovers, BMWs, VWs, you name it.

I have seen far more sludged Range Rovers than sludged Toyotas and I deal in a lot more Toyotas.
    Does this mean that Land-Rover has a problem with engine sludge? Nope. Poor maitnence was the cause each and every time.

It appears to me that Toyota engines just dont tolerate abuse very well.

And, Tom, if you think that suggesting that sludge is due to lack of maintience is condescending, what do you think Toyota should say? "Its all our fault, even if you abuse your car and do not maintain it properly its our fault!"

As far as I am concerned, what they have done is, in typical Toyota fashion, above and beyond the call of duty.

They had Head gasket problems on some 4runners, so they did a special warranty for those.

Ford 3.8L V6s blow head gaskets as a matter of course. Is there any help from Ford on those? Not that I have seen. Does ford get blasted left and right for that? Nope.

Bill
  • Options
    innovationsinnovations Member Posts: 69
    I think it's a good move on Toyota's part. I just ran into someone today who wanted to look at my Sienna because they were getting ready to buy a new van. They said they had heard of the sludge problem. They are loyal Toyota fans, but didn't know if it would be a Toyota this time around because of the sludge issue.

That was before today's press release.

I think once they find out about the 8yr deal, they'll go with the Sienna.

I also know I'll be sleeping a little better.
  • Options
    I don't think some people are listening here.

Please do not argue with the host online.

Please do not try to dominate and control the board's flow or content.

The Toyota spokesperson has not even posted yet, nor have any number of people who actually own the affected cars.

Let's give other people a chance to talk. Try asking people things instead of telling them things.

If you can't follow these basic instructions, I will have to ask you to leave the forum and perhaps the entire website.

Mr. Shiftright
    Host
  • Options
    luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    Just wondering if you could provide a link or reference to this test by experts that supposedly proves that the Toyota engine does not tolerate 4k mile oil changes.
    BTW, I'm wondering what exactly would show up on an oil analysis that would warn you of an impending sludged engine?
  • Options
    yrmacyrmac Member Posts: 134
    This statement from Toyota is not really a "victory" for the Toyota Motor Corporation rather it is an indicative of how powerful the internet could be. They listened because the media screamed "foul".
  • Options
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/04/04/toyota-sludge.htm

This article states that Toyota is changing the engine design because of the sludge issue. Why change the design if there is supposedly nothing wrong with it?
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I'm posting in spite of the risk of being banned from Town Hall entirely, but here goes...

I thought Ford did finally "step up to the plate" and offer relief for owners of vehicles with the troublesome 3.8L V6 engine.

I am happy for Toyota owners everywhere to see that Toyota has implemented this new repair program. This is a positive thing for consumers, both current and future. I hope the offer extends to folks who have already spent money on engine repairs or replacements.

However, my view is that Toyota had to do something like this. Their entire brand reputation was at stake. The issue has reached critical mass, and they could not ignore it any longer. I'm glad they did what they did, but I don't give them credit for 'stepping up to the plate' or 'going above and beyond the call of duty.' My impression is that manufacturers typically respond with relief for consumers when a major problem such as sludge or head gasket failures becomes well-known and widespread.

As a satisfied former Toyota owner (never should have sold my trouble-free 91 Camry DX at 118k miles), I had, and still do have, a very positive belief in Toyota vehicles. Well-built, durable, reliable. This belief has been shaken by this sludge debate, but not broken.

P.S. armtdm, your response to the host's comments was valid. If the host disagrees with us, aren't we entitled to respond in a civil fashion?
  • Options
    bobistheoilguybobistheoilguy Member Posts: 270
    "Toyota says the problem is caused by going too long between oil changes, but nevertheless says it is changing the engine design to prevent a repeat."

click here for the whole story..

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/04/04/toyota-sludge.htm

This article is stating Exactly what I have been saying. Toyota's drains are too long. But like most of you have said, They are not saying in fact because of them, but still keeping thier foot in the door so that the blame can go either way. I think they are doing what ever it takes to repair the problem which is good, and I suspect they want to leave the "blame" issue out of the picture in hopes that will eventually die out which if it was me, I'd say smart move on thier part.

I know some people are stubborn enough to resist or let it die out but I believe that will be a minority if others get it fixed and can move on.

I suspect that they are going to incorporate either a higher capacity oil system by either adding a oil cooler or bigger pan. I don't see much of any other way to reduce other than eliminating the gears which is not a feasable idea for redesign. The other idea will be to reset the milage drain numbers.

With those kind of redesigns this would not admit an actual problem with the engine but a "fix" for a more forgiving engine due to over site maintanence problems by the owner.

• Options
    provides some additional information about the conditions that contribute to the formation of gel. Temperature extremes...cold winters, hot humid summers combined with short trips. That helps but what is a 'short trip' under 5 miles, under 10 miles, etc?

The more information like this that gets released the better I will feel about my Highlander. I now feel much better about the vacation I was planning but was considering abandoning. If highway miles aren't particularly an indicator for a problem then I'm good to go.

I am religious about oil changes. My '90 Camry was on a 3k schedule with excellent results. I'm doing the Highlander the same way.

Suggestion: It would really help if the maintenance schedules on the Toyota web site was consistent between cars and trucks. Trucks have hot weather as a 'severe driving' condition, cars do not. With the information in this article it appears to be critical that this information be communicated to owners asap....summer is just around the corner.
  • Options
    the highlander has a bigger oil capacity (6 ro 7qts?) and has very few if any sludge issues.

In any case, 3k drains on it or any other one, you will not experience any sludge problems with these engines even with the type of conditions outlined in the article.
  • Options
    just over 4 qts/change (just had it done yesterday and was charged 4 qts). I'm awfully glad I got one with at tow prep package as it has an oil cooler. Summer where I live (VA) is hot and humid but I'm doing 3k changes regardless of what the books says. Everyone I've ever know with a high-mileage engine has been a fanatic about oil changes!
  • Options
    ramblinonramblinon Member Posts: 80
    with the extended 8 year unlimited mile warranty. I will continue to change my oil and filter just prior to 3000 miles at a Dealership. I will also mark my new oil filters with a rotating code for identification (an old Cryptologist).

I think that it is very important that we all understand that while Toyota has still not admitted fault the USA article today states that Toyota is REDESIGNING THE V-6 AND ALREADY REDESIGNED THE 4 CYLINDER. So in my most humble opinion change the oil and filter prior to 4000 miles.

After the "stick in the eye" it takes time to heal and I find myself still angry.

Best regards,

Ed
  • Options
    grimmstergrimmster Member Posts: 2
    No matter what is recommeded in Toyots'a manual (yes it can be wrong. I think they meant it as kilometers, not miles), change your oil every 3000 miles and you WILL NOT have a problem. Why anyone in their right mind would think they can go 5000/7500 between changes is beyond me.
  • Options
    wrichar107wrichar107 Member Posts: 15
    I don't think it takes much to offer an 8-year unlimited mileage warranty to cover sludged engines. Based on my experience with the two Toyota dealers in my area, the warranty could be for a lifetime and it still wouldn't make any difference. The trick is not to offer a warranty but to honor it. So far, Toyota has not done a single thing to correct a steering pull problem, numerous rattles in the doors and seats, a leaky rear window washer, or clacking noises made by the brakes on my 2000 Sienna XLE. Am I supposed to jump for joy at the prospect of another denied warranty claim? Can we all say, "SPIN CITY"?
  • Options
    5 to 7500 mile oil drains are possible and very feasable for people now adays. it just happens that with this type of design 3k is a sure thing and 5k with a good quality oil is not unreasonable but must be decided by interpretation of whether you're doing severe driving or not.
  • Options
    bluedevils: you said

"P.S. armtdm, your response to the host's comments was valid. If the host
    disagrees with us, aren't we entitled to respond in a civil fashion?"

First of all, the host did not disagree with armtdm, he asked him a question. Second of all, armtdm answered quite clearly, and now we all know that he remains dissatisfied because he feels there is an ethical issue involved. That's why I asked him the question in the first place.

Read what the host says and not what people say about the host, and you will have a clearer idea of intention I think. You got both parts wrong: The Host just asked a question, and armtdm was "allowed" to answer. What gets a person into trouble in forums is when they argue *policy* with the Host (i.e., how the forum is run. THAT you do off line in e-mail, okay?)

If you want to know how to post successfully in our forums, even while challenging others' ideas or criticizing automakers, read Bob's posts.

This is an interesting excerpt from the post Bob put up on Toyota's redesign of their engines:

"Hanson says the problems have been concentrated where winters are extremely cold and summers are especially humid and among owners who make a lot of short trips."

I remember quite some long time ago a number of you speculated that an environmental factor was also at work.

MrShiftright
    Host
  • Options
    mcgregermcgreger Member Posts: 40
    I know that I asked this question before on another board, but I would like to get a more official response from a Toyota rep. The question is: does this engine sludge problem show up anywhere else in the world, (especially in the home market of Japan), from the same engines that are used here in the U.S.? And being that Japan, and many other countries, are much smaller in size than the U.S., are their oil change intervals biased more to time between changes rather than mileage? Thank you.
  • Options
    List of Questions Posed to TMSUSA1 from TowhHallers in this Forum Thus Far:

1. I never received the original SPA letter. Will the new announcement be mailed out to customers? (from )

2. How many sludge complaints has the company received to date. When the SPA
    was announced, there were 3100 complaints. How many have been received to
    date? (from )

3. What are the results of Toyota's research on the cause(s) of sludge? ()

4. Questions for tmsusa1....
    Will an explaination or root cause be officially recognized on this issue so I can do what needs to be done maintenance-wise to get my 200k+ miles on this Toyota?
    ()

5. Since the news release addresses the 1997 through 2002 models, will there be a change
    or modification to future models (2003)? IF so, will there be any recommended changes
    to the 1997-2002 models, such as maintenance, or part changes??? ()

6. Does this mean that past owners who have had there engines rebuilt already will be reimbursed or is this just for future problems that may occur with current owners?
    Thanks ()

7. What do you think about the theory that bobistheoilguy posted on the now closed forum regarding the gears in Toyota engines breaking down the oil?
    ()

8. Based on the past posts, is it safe to say that a quality synthetic oil changed at
    conservative intervals is something that Toyota Corp. would "recommnend"
    to its owners who may be concerned about sludging ?? Also, are owners of
    Highlanders with tow packages (oil coolers) less prone to this potential problem ?
    (

From the Host
  • Options
    phillipmphillipm Member Posts: 32
    What is Corporate Toyota's recommended oil change schedule for owners of the 3.0 vehicles? I get various answers from different persons employed by Toyota. There should be ONE official maintenance schedule that Toyota Motor Co. recommends. What is it?
  • Options
    phillip---if that doesn't get answered in the first batch, we'll put it in the second. I have no idea if/when these questions will be answered or who exactly will answer them. Maybe they just wanted to post policy here and gather questions for later policy, I really don't know. Let's wait and see! I'm sure, though, that any good, clear feedback/complaint from owners will do everyone some good down the road.

Host
  • Options
    stealth1969stealth1969 Member Posts: 162
    of a 98 Sienna who had sludgea couple of years ago, I like this response much better now than I have received yet. I have not gotten the SPA letter and expect I won't now.

Under this new policy, if an engine was repaired by a Toyota dealer for sludge, would it cover only it the engine had sludge later, or would it problems caused by the sludge if they showed up thousands of miles later? I do have a reason for this pointed question. Yes. To make a long story short, my enine was leaking too much oil. A Toyota dealer were the van was towed to said the left cylinder head and cam (they didn't say both of them) were scored and need to be replaced. They were so bad a new cam seal would not work so I had to tow the van home until I can afford to fix it. The head and just 1 cam cost $1k at the dealer, not counting labor. Now, I am not looking for a free ticket. The dealer did not say what caused the problem so I cannot even say it is sludge related or not. Would other repaired caused by sludge be covered if they manefested later? Thank you.

I think it is great Toyota opted to open this dialog. Thank you again.
  • Options
    You stated "Why anyone in their right mind would think they can go 5000/7500 between changes is beyond me."

This is what Toyota states is the appropriate interval in their manuals. I would like to think that this interval was based on their own engineering design criteria (and not based on marketing as Cliffy1 theorized in the previous sludge board). Toyota designed the engine, so it should perform appropriately with their recommended operational maintenance criteria. If it doesn't, it should be fixed at Toyota's nickel under warranty.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone for a great chat last night on the general topic of engine sludge, and a big thanks to bobtheoilguy for helping us with some of the technical ins and outs of oil, engines, sludge, and how things work.

I'll be following this topic as I'm curious about any new information that comes out. I hope everyone continues the dialog in the same reasonable fashion as last night's discussion. Thanks all!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    kclkkclk Member Posts: 11
    Thank you host for a very informative topic. Few discussions or cars are perfect, so the more cummunication on a topic the better. Don't let the board members push you around, or you'll end up like Judge Ito in the O.J. trial!

My wife is chomping at the bit for a rx300. I "will" by the car when the design problem is addressed.
    1. How many months out can I expect to see the new rx300's with the design fix

2. How can I tell if the rx300 I am looking at has the design fix?

Until the above questions are addressed, I am hesitant to buy the product. Oil changes more frequently than 5000 miles is not realistic for the amount of driving we do in S. California.
  • Options
    The USA Today article states: "Toyota says the problem is caused by going too long between oil changes, but nevertheless says it is changing the engine design to prevent a repeat."

Questions for tmsusa1 - what is the design change that Toyota will be making? Why is a design change needed unless there is a design problem?
  • Options
    kclkkclk Member Posts: 11
    Thank you host for a very informative topic. Few discussions or cars are perfect, so the more cummunication on a topic the better. Don't let the board members push you around, or you'll end up like Judge Ito in the O.J. trial!

My wife is chomping at the bit for a rx300. I "will" by the car when the design problem is addressed.
    1. How many months out can I expect to see the new rx300's with the design fix

2. How can I tell if the rx300 I am looking at has the design fix?

Until the above questions are addressed, I am hesitant to buy the product. Oil changes more frequently than 5000 miles is not realistic for the amount of driving we do in S. California.
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    As a side note.
    This problem is going to prove that 3000 mile drain interval is the only way to go, which I disagree. Everything depends on environment (temperature, humidity), how long engine runs, what RPM, load. It seems that oil change idicator (the clever one, which takes most of varaibles into account) will be standard in Toyota soon, just like it is in BMW. I would not object if every car has it.
    I am changing my oil (5W30 or 0W30, 4+ quarts per change, Mobil 1) between 7000 and 8000 miles. 72000 miles and a new head gasket (unrelated problem) later my Neon's engine works quite good.

Krzys

PS I admire Toyota steping up. They stil blame customers but in lawsuit happy USA I do not think that they have a choice. The engines seem to be poorly designed to handle neglect but they use small amount of oil for an oil change, deliver good power and torque. Toyota will build more user friendly version soon.
  • Options
    Can anyone who participated in the chat room last night give a synopsis? I wasn't able to log on until 9:30 p.m. EST and by then the discussion was over.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Now people can take advantage of this by:

close to the end of the 8-year unlimited mile warranty, you can stop changing your oil, let it sludge and get a new engine for free!!!

You just know someone is going to try it.
  • Options
    xwrayxwray Member Posts: 60
    for a rape/murder. He is tried and sent to jail. 15 years later when they run DNA checks, the guy is found to not be the murderer after all. With much fanfare, he is released from prison. This otherwise happy occasion is marred because the authorities, while setting him free, blame him for the miscarriage of justice because he looked too much like the real murderer and couldn't prove he didn't do it.

Would you blame this guy if he felt that this was a bittersweet victory.

Would you blame this guy if he harbors contempt and mistrust of the "system" even though he got the freedom he deserved.

Would you blame this guy for complaining that even though he was freed, he was made to feel that it was his fault and that the authorities accepted no blame.

Would you believe the authorities when they told you they never jailed innocent people.

Perhaps this is a bit of a stretch, but the sludge saga is much like this little story. That's why some folks are still irritated with Toyota...their here - take the money you screw-up attitude.

Why is anybody surprised?
  • Options
    Im thinking here, trying to put myself in a "sludge victim's" shoes, that feeling insulted can only get you so far, especially concerning a car. After a suitable time for blowing steam, seems to me it's best to take whatever money is on the table and run. So Toyota didn't come to your house and say "I'm sorry". Foo on them. How's your blood pressure?

Yeah, you got aggravated, but essentially for the vast majority of the few thousand people affected, things have been, or will be, put right. Not as good an ending as never having to deal with sludge, but still okay for Real Life. Think of all the people who had car troubles and got nothing over the years. And for those Toyota owners not directly "sludged", you have that 8-year warranty to put under your pillow at night.

Being sent to the slammer unjustly is a true tragedy, since time is not replaceable and the issue cannot be put right. This does not, however, mean that the entire system need be discarded.