Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    This week I spent $1700 on major routine maintenance items for our Isuzu Trooper. Don't you think if I was so thrifty I'd have tried to cut corners - not do some of the recommended items, etc. ;)
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    There's nothing wrong with being thrifty or value conscious, we all are on some level. What worries me about your topping off behaviour is the damage to the environment. Ironically with today's clean burning engines you probably release as many pollutants into the environment with your spill as you do by using the rest of the tanful to power your van.
    good point. I will try to kick this habit soon.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm frugal. I like the old style pumps that you can flip off with a lever and still pull the nozzle trigger. I bet I get an extra 1/3 ounce free out of those pumps :-)

Steve, Host
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    BD - $1,700 spent on a Trooper is money wasted. Instead of cutting corners you should cut your losses. I take back my previous statement:-)
    (now we'll see if he can really take a joke)
  • mikeymike01mikeymike01 Member Posts: 31
    Here is some more food for thought. The new style gas dispensers are blending capable. These dispensers only have one hose per fueling side. They take 87 and 92 octane and blend them to make 89 octane (mid-grade).

The problem with these dispensers is you will get some of the octane from whatever the person before you ordered. Suppose you buy 92 octane gas...and if the person before you got 87 octane, the amount of fuel left from the valve inside the dispenser to the nozzle contains 87 octane! You start pumping gas into your car and you are getting 87 octane for the first gallon or so. You're paying for 87 octane at 92 octane prices!!! Can you say class-action lawsuit?

I've brought this issue up to my company management. They don't deem this a problem that is worthy of fixing until someone either sues them or the government makes it a law. The feeling is that there is about a gallon of gas in that pipe from the valve to the nozzle and this is not enough to offset most gas purchases (most people buy 8 gallons of gas so it won't lower your octane that much).

I only buy 87 octane so it really doesn't effect me. But if I bought 92 octane I might be a tad upset to know I may be getting some 87 octane and paying for it!
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I think your company management did not think it was a big deal because even if you did get one whole gallon of regular at the premium rate, you only got hosed for about $.20. As far as a class action lawsuit goes, I'm sure you would not win because the gas stations would point out that when the customer before you bought super you got the first gallon of gas (super) at the regular unleaded price.

What really makes me mad about gas stations is when they raise the prices for no good reason. When the news reports crude oil prices going down, the stations hold prices steady. They claim the fuel they have in their tanks was bought at the old (higher) rates, so they must still pass this along to you. However, when the news reports that crude oil prices went up, gas stations jack up their prices $.07/gal the next morning. What happened to the gas in their tanks at the old price then?
    bdaddy:
    I tend to follow jokes much better in person than in writing! As it turns out, the tab was $1,350 - the Honda dealer was not equipped to check/adjust the valve clearance and didn't feel it was necessary anyway (possibly because they couldn't do it), so that "saved" me 300 bucks for now. Hopefully it doesn't cost me $2k for a valve job if the valves go bad before I have the check/adjust done at an Isuzu dealer.

steve_HOST:
    I don't think I've ever seen one of these old-style pumps you're describing? Sounds strange.

mikey mike:
    Do really think it takes one of those single-hose pumps a gallon before it stops dispensing the octane used by previous customer? I don't know how those pumps work, but I'd think the changeover would be quicker.

uga91 (clay):
    That one has bugged me too - for quite a while now. I do find some stations whose price increase typically lags other stations by a day or 2. So there's usually time to fill up at the lower price. These same stations also seem slower to drop their prices too. E.g. Speedway and Mobil are kitty corner about a mile from my house. Speedway is usually a nickel a gallon lower, but sometimes they will jump by 8-12 cents a gallon. Usually, Mobil doesn't catch up for 2-3 days. So for those 2-3 days the Mobil station is cheaper. The Speedway will usually drop quicker than the Mobil too.
    This one I can't really fault Kia for - had a tire with a leak and Kia dealer patched it while I waited. They didn't charge me, which impressed me. Unfortunately, I drove a mile down the road to Sam's Club and noticed the plastic center cap that covers the lug nuts was missing from that wheel - GRRR. Drove back to dealer and one of the salesmen had found the part in their parking lot. Dealer ordered me a new one but I haven't picked it up yet. By the way, don't lose yours - customer price was $36!
  • martibmartib Member Posts: 11
    I have been generally OK with the Sedona after a little more than a year. So far I have had 2 windows replaced under warranty, I was told that there is a pressure point on the passenger side that causes the cracking. I have had the van in for a drivers side seat belt problem, the radio will not power up some mornings, the dealer will replace the unit if it happens again. this is a real pain since you have to hit the reset button and you lose all of your presets, I was told that the unit cost $1800 Can. dollars. I find it strange that a radio would have a reset button on the front panel. I have also notice that the black primer/paint that was used on the front grill is starting to peel as is the black primer/paint around the rear license plate is peeling as well. The vans has lots of power but does lack traction compared to the windstar that I used to own, maybe the Hancook tires. I have also noticed the lack of comfort in the drivers seat on a long trip >2 hours. The dealer has been great and has fixed all problem with no questions. They have offered loaner cars or a shuttle on all of these visits. My concern is what will happen when the warranty runs out???
    What's the production date of your Sedona and when did you have the 2 windshields replaced? My understanding based on posts from others on this board is that the replacement windshield should not have the same cracking problem as the original windshield. Also, I thought the windshield problem was only on earlier 2002 Sedonas but I don't remember for sure.

Our 2002 Sedona EX (U.S. market) was built on 12/20/2001. We have not had the windshield cracking problem, although our windshield did pick up a small chip several months ago due to a rock striking it fairly low on the passenger side.

It sounds like you have had more problems with your Sedona than most of the folks on this board. Sorry about that.

Is your Sedona an LX or something? Our U.S. EX has a chrome grille and I don't believe it has any black primer/paint in that area or the rear license plate surround area.
    Filled up 2 vehicles this week. First time, rounded up to the next nickel after initial pump shutoff. This was a breakthrough for me, as I have been topping up to the next 50-cent mark for several years. Second time, I removed the nozzle from the gas tank after initial shutoff! I don't remember if I have ever done this before. Hopefully, I can get into this habit and thereby 1) pollute the environment less; and 2) not spend money on gas that I may or may not be getting.
    Bluedevils, those pumps are still common around here. The newest ones just have the trigger at the nozzle, and no switch at the pump itself. You just put them back in their slot and you're done, so there's no way to "bump" another dribble in.

Then there's the trick about filling up in the cool of dawn so the gas will expand during the heat of the day and go farther :-)

Steve, Host
    Ok, I know the pumps you're describing. We do have a few stations around here still using those. I never tried to steal gas by turning off the switch at the pump but continuing to pump gas though! I usually pay for what I buy. I can't believe pumps were designed like that - you'd think they would have been concerned with drive-offs and such.
    I have the EX model and the windshield was replaced by the dealer both times, it has been OK for the last 8 months. Both cracks started at the same location. I bought the van in Sept.

The chrome is under the Paint/primer that is peeling off, I should just let it go and see what the chrome looks like, it may be nicer.
    Are you sure there's chrome under the primer? I'd think this might be bare metal or something. Wouldn't make sense for Kia to spend money to put chrome on a surface that isn't even supposed to be visible.

When were the windshields replaced?

Did you buy your van in September 2001 or 2002?
    lol, I always considered it a freebie rather than theft ;-)

Steve, Host
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    BD - congrats on your success with kicking the habit of "topping off". I'm not sure if there's a support group in your area for this in the event you get strung out.

Steve - I used to not only shut off the pump - I'd pull out the whole length of hose and hold the end closest to the pump up high so I'd get the siphon effect and drain the entire hose. Good for a pint or two I'd say.
    lol. Actually my sister did that - you've probably seen the internet pic of the car driving down the freeway with the hose hanging out of the gas tank? She only got to the end of the service station lot, but it's true that the hose pops right off :-)

Steve, Host
    My sister inlaw work a a plant that does some painting for the trim peices for many major manufactures and she was the one that told me about the primer over "chrome". The finish under tha prime isn't bare metal but bright shiny chrome finnish. It didn't make sence to me either.

I had the windsheilds replaced by the dealer rights after the failures both were performed by a window and glass company, not sure which one.
  • wfbjr23wfbjr23 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my sedona EX for a year now and have had the following problems.

1-Check engine light comes on. According to owners manual and dealer, this can be caused by gas cap. However this has occured well after the tank has been filled, a couple times near half empty and a couple times near 1/4 tank. But no-one has touched the gas cap inbetween fillins.

2-THE RADIO SUCKS When I push the seek button to go to the next station, it just continues to skip stations that have very good reception. Also, when you push the seek button to go up, it sometimes goes down and vice versa. They replaced the radio under warranty, but it did not change. Does anyone else see this issue? (Live im Metro Detroit area where radio stations tend to have strong signals) DUE TO THIS, I'VE HAD TWO DEALERSHIP ISSUES. THE FIRST TIME WHEN THEY SWAPPED THE RADIO, THEY DIDN'T RECONNECT THE TWO SWITCHES ON THE RIGHT SIDE FOR THE RR HTR AND THE FRONT WIPER DEFROSTER. SO I HAD TO TAKE IT BACK. NEXT, THEY RECONNECTED THE SWITCHES, AND WHEN I LEFT I HAD NO CLUSTER/CONSOLE LIGHTS. SO I HAD TO GO BACK A THIRD TIME. SOMEHOW THEY BLEW THE FUSE, WHICH BY THE WAY IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. WHEN YOU LOOK IN THEIR FOR FUSES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CLUSTER, THEY ARE IN THE KICK-PANEL. THE FUSE THAT CONTROLS THE CLUSTER LIGHTS IS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND IS LABELED, I BELIEVE AS KEYHOLE ILLUMINATION. ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION OF CLUSTER. LESS THAN INFORMATIVE CALLOUT IN OWNERS MANUAL.

3-The liftgate swings up abruptly. If you don't watch out when opening the liftgate, it could knock you out. Many people have commented on this when they open the liftgate on our van. We have many minivans(villager, odyssey and sienna) in our family and they all open slowly. The dealer said this was normal!! Does anyone else notice this.

4-Sliding doors don't seem to shut. This occurs quite often, when you slide the door shut, it doesn't always latch. I've tried to close it with and without holding the handle and it occurs for both cases.

5-I cant lay the 3rd row seat down and not have it unlatch from the floor. When you stop suddenly it always comes unlatched and flips upward. I've seen this posted before, but wondered if anyone else has encountered this?

6-Windshield wiper solvent can't shoot up past halfway on the windshield and when driving on the freeway, it barely goes up past the wiper itself. Also, the wipers do suck in cold weather. Hopefully replacing with different aftermarket wipers will help.

7-Very disappointed with dealership quality and what the warranty didn't cover. The center cap has fallen off the aluminum wheels and I inquired to see if this was covered under the first year warranty for body fittings. They said that since the tires had been rotated and the dealership wasn't the ones who rotated the tires, it was not under warranty. In the owners manual it gives recommended mileage for tire rotation which I also believe is required for the tire warranty, and when you follow this they don't cover the damn cap. Come to find out, to replace the cap it costs $36.

We really like our sedona, and most of these are just minor nuisances to us and comparing items to our previous minivans. I'm in the auto industry as a supplier and attribute some of these to engineering, which is probably why this van is considerably cheaper than others.
    Sorry to hear you've had so many problems with your Sedona. From my viewpoint, it seems many of your problems are ongoing due to poor dealer service, not necessarily to inherent vehicle flaws. We bought our 2002 Sedona EX last February and have had very few problems. We've also had fairly decent experience at the dealership. We live in metro Detroit; more on that later.

Please let us know which dealer you have been visiting and consider trying another dealer for your service needs!
    Now, to respond to your specific problems:

#1: Check Engine Light (CEL). Did the dealer scan the computer to see what trouble codes were stored? Sure, a vehicle's CEL can often be triggered by too-loose gas cap, and many Sedona owners have had this problem. Did the dealer investigate/diagnose your CEL(s) and conclude the gas cap was the cause, or did they take the easy way out and just say that was the likely problem without investigating? This is a problem that the dealer should be able to resolve fairly easily - after all, the computer stores the trouble codes, and these codes point the technicians in the right direction.

#2 Radio Seek button jumps past good stations. That should not happen, but I don't see it as a big deal. I don't think we've ever used the Seek button on our radio. If you are in your home area, don't you already know what the stations are? I frequently switch among different stations in the preset memory slots, but I hardly ever use the scan or seek function. To me, scan and seek are most useful when traveling. I'll have to try out our Seek button to see if we have similar behavior as you are reporting.

We are quite pleased with the sound quality, controls, and layout of the radio.

Your dealer sure did a poor job putting things back together after replacing your radio!

#3 Liftgate swings up abruptly. Yes, I have noticed this too. It concerns me. I may have the dealer look at it, because I don't remember our liftgate working like this until the last couple months. The struts don't provide resistance until the liftgate is halfway open or so, which allows the liftgate to gain too much speed. This one has been bugging me more and more lately.

#4 Sliding doors won't close. This is the first report of problematic Sedona doors that I remember on the Edmunds forums. Sounds like something definitely isn't right with your doors. Has a dealer looked into the problem yet?

#5 3rd row seat won't stay latched to floor when in folded-down position. Yours is the first report I remember hearing about this problem. Are you sure the seats are properly attached to the floor?

#6 Windshield wiper solvent doesn't shoot far enough up the windshield. This is a problem that annoys me on our van. It's not as bad on our van as you are describing, but I have noticed the spray pattern is too low. My workaround is to spray longer, to get more fluid on the windshield. This usually gets more, and enough, fluid on the upper portion of the windshield. I've been thinking about having the dealer look at this and see if the spray pattern or the jets can be adjusted. It seems possible, but it would probably take a fairly friendly dealer to be willing to fix this under warranty.

#7 Center cap fell off and wasn't under warranty. This is something that some dealers would probably cover, depending on how good the dealer's service is. I can understand the dealership's position that if someone other than they rotated the tires (and removed/reinstalled the center caps), they couldn't/wouldn't cover the lost center cap under warranty.

$36 must be the list price for the center cap. We had one replaced by a dealer a month or so ago. Had a flat fixed at a Kia dealer in Grand Rapids, Mich. No charge for flat repair - I was impressed. Drove a mile down road to Sam's Club, got out and realized center cap was gone. Went back to dealer. A salesperson saw the cap in the parking lot. Tabs on the backside were damaged. Had to call dealer back the following Monday and speak with service manager to arrange new cap shipped to us. Cap arrived a week or so ago. No charge.

These center caps are pretty tricky to install. I had quite a bit of trouble with a couple of them (recently removed all 4 of them to rotate the tires). Obviously the quick lube technician who fixed our flat tire did not re-install the cap properly. Beware!

Dealer Service
    wfbjr23, what dealer have you been using for your service? Glassman Kia in Southfield is closest to our home, but I didn't get a good vibe there while Sedona shopping. We bought our Sedona from Dick Scott Kia in Canton. Pleasant buying experience, but it's 40 minutes from our house so we have not used them for service. Jeffrey Kia in Roseville is a few miles from my wife's office. We've been there twice so far and had decent service. Took 2 tries to resolve a left pull - first time they advised us to rotate the tires more often (we had them rotated on that visit - at 7700 miles), 2nd visit they did an alignment. Wanted airbag reprogram done 1st visit, but they didn't have their tools available so was done on 2nd visit. Had plastic cap on rear wiper arm replaced - must have fallen off in a car wash or something. On 2nd visit, wanted grounding plate procedure performed to resolve poor keyless entry performance. Dealer didn't have necessary parts even though I asked about this in advance of our appointment. We'll have this one taken care of at our next visit. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything else that we've had corrected/adjusted.
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    I too have noticed our lift gate opening very quickly until the struts start to slow it half way up. Like Bluedevils noted, by then the lift gate is travelling very fast.
    I have pinpointed this to only when the weather is cold. And if you open the lift gate a few times during a short trip, like hitting a few different stores, the struts work correctly after the first time.
    We will have our dealer check this also.
    Everything else OK to date. 8 months and 7500 miles without any problems.
    We will be travelling from St. Louis to San Antonio this summer for vacation. I can't wait to see how the Sedona does on this 2,000 mile plus trip.
    Your observation that the liftgate does that only when cold seems to explain why I've noticed it only in the last couple months. It's winter here in Michigan, and a couple months ago it wasn't.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    Typically the nozzle can be adjusted by inserting a small pin. Normally this is a revolving ball kind of setup and when you clean snow off the windshield this gets improperly positioned.

I am not sure if the Sedona has this kind of a nozzle to spray as i dont own one but its been standard on all cars i have encountered.
    thanks for the suggestion. I noticed this morning that it's the driver's side jet that shoots fluid on the bottom half of the windshield; the passenger side shoots on the top half. Maybe this is an intentional design, but I don't really like it. The narrow focus of the spray pattern is as much a problem as the location on the windshield-- I'd prefer a wide mist instead of a localized spray.
  • chrisbgoodchrisbgood Member Posts: 77
    1. Windshield wipers stopped functioning correctly on intermittant. Dealer replaced switch and motor and life is good.

2. Stress crack in windshield. Dealer had it replaced the day I brought it in -- did both item 1 and 2 on the same day between 9 and 5.

Dealer: Lia Kia in Schenectady NY -- very good service and the sale wasn't bad either.

2002 Kia Sedona EX with all options except spoiler and auto-wipers.

> 15,000 miles in less than 6 months of ownership. Happy campers here.
    Lots of miles, Chrisbgood! Thanks for the report - are you keeping track of your mpg?

Steve, Host
  • chrisbgoodchrisbgood Member Posts: 77
    Was ok until the recent cold snap (17 to 22 or so). During the last few weeks of < freezing weather I was hitting 15mpg and dreading the fill ups.

The temp bumped up over the last tank and I think on this one I'm going to hit close to 20 -- seems pretty good.

By the way -- my windshield cracked when I backed out of my attached garage at home (30 - 40 degrees or so) into the -10 degrees (worse I'm told with wind chill) on one very cold morning -- I heard a crack and low and behold there it was right in front of me. I did not have the defrost on.
  • purplegirlpurplegirl Member Posts: 2
    Just found this message board and wanted to let others know about my Kia experience. Bought a new 2002 Sedona in July 2002. Had the oil changed in September 02 and within 2 days had substantial oil in my driveway. Took back to dealership to check for leak. Was told it wasn't a leak just excess oil in the pan from the oil change (the oil change was done at the dealership where I purchased....thank goodness!)In Oct 02 we had problems with the car skipping. Returned to dealership and was told the computer needed reprogramming. Was back a week and a half later with same problem. Coils needed to be replaced. Our Kia was in the shop for 5 days.(I was given a rental) Still complained a few times about excessive oil and was always told nothing was leaking. Early Dec 02 had problems with squealing in front brakes and the drivers side window squeaking and rubbing. Had abnormal wear on rotors and they were replaced and the window seals were cleaned and lubed. Problems solved. Late Dec 02, had an oil change and asked them to check again for an oil leak. No leak. Jan 29, 2003 called dealership again and spoke directly with service manager and told him I HAVE AN OIL LEAK!!!!!!!! Well, my 2002 needs head gaskets. Also, when the floor heater is on the heat comes out of the drivers face vent.Part on order for that also. The work will be done later this week. Also, have had a thump in the back brakes from time to time but of course not when it is at the dealership......the Kia also surges from time to time but of course not when it is at the dealership.
  • purplegirlpurplegirl Member Posts: 2
    The service department has been great to me although I think I should have been give a rental car each time the vehicle was serviced. I have 11,100 miles on a new Kia I can't trust to drive around town. I have a complaint on file with Kia and the BBB requesting a repurchase of our van. I think I have a pretty good case. Would love to hear from others that have had similiar problems or who have filed car complaints with the BBB.
    Sorry to hear about your Sedona problems. That's gotta be the longest list of Sedona problems I've heard from a single owner.

Be glad the dealer gave you a loaner at all - it is not Kia policy to provide loaners, even for warranty work. That's pretty common for most non-luxury makes. This means the dealer was extending you some goodwill.

I wouldn't be so quick to say they've been great to you, though. These times when you took in the van and complained of excess oil or leaking oil and the dealer told you nothing was wrong - did they actually investigate or examine anything, or just pat you on the back and send you home?

I'm not extremely familiar with the lemon law, but generally I think you need to have had the vehicle in for the same problem at least 3 times, and the problem needs to be significant enough to affect the ability to use the vehicle. E.g. a squeaky seat would not qualify.

You definitely got a poorly or sloppily put-together Sedona. This probably doesn't make you feel any better, but most folks seem to have relatively few and/or minor problems so far with their Sedonas.

I hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction, either with a buyback or some proper repairs and then smooth sailing. At this point, I wouldn't blame you for not trying another Sedona, or even another Kia. Bad experiences like yours are how automakers lose customers. But I would encourage you to give Sedona another chance. Overall, it seems to be pretty well made.
  • StevePIIIStevePIII Member Posts: 55
    The First day my wife got her 2003 Sedona EX she was travelling on the highway and Heard a thud from the rear of her car. She kept driving until she reached her favorite destination, the mall. When she got there she realized her rear passenger tire was completely flat. She called kia roadside assistance and they sent someone out right away. (The gave her automated calls every 5 minutes to say someone was on their way) They changed her flat with the spare(I am glad its a full size, and I was even more surprised that it was an alloy - I assumed it would be steel.) That afternoon she brought it to the dealer for them to look at, they said it was not repair able as there was a HUGE hole in it. They were amazed she made it from the highway to the parking lot. Anyway, the dealership installed a new tire - free of charge! And sent her on her way. All I have is two words.....

Go Kia.
    Sounds like pretty good response from the roadside folks, and even better treatment from the dealer. The dealer was under no obligation to replace your tire, which makes it all the more impressive. I hope you plan to give this dealer a chance to earn all of your future Sedona maintenance business. Thanks for posting the experience.

You probably didn't have a chance to notice whether the spare had any damage from sitting against those metal bars that hold it under the van, did you? I checked my spare after having our Sedona about 9 months, and there were several large indentations in the tire, along the edge of the tread near the sidewall. To me, this looks like a potential safety issue. I will have the dealer take a look on our next visit.
    No, unfortunatly I was at work and my wife had to take care if it herself. The spare is now on the rear wheel and the new tire is underneath. There is no visable damage or indents on the outside of the tire. If anyone else lives in CT -- The Kia Dealership in Wallingford is who proveded the Great Service.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    BD-
    Doubtful that "dents" will have an impact on the tire life/service. After all, YOU have zebra stripes on your face when you sleep on top of the bedspread, right? No permanent damage there.

If rubber is broken, or evidence of broken tire belts is there, THEN worry. The rest is cosmetic. They cinched your spare up against the cage tightly to make sure it didn't rattle.

My wife likes to use tires as "curb feelers" on my truck. Despite some uglyness on the sidewalls, they seem to be OK...will end up changing out this spring at 50K on original equipment, despite sidewall scrapes.
    I know what you mean about the curb-feeler damage. I've been known to inflict a bit of said damage on our vehicles' tires from time to time, but not as much as my wife!

These indentations caused by the spare tire carrier worry me mostly because they seem so big/deep. It's almost as if someone carved out a convex chunk of tire, leaving a fairly significant concave dent in the tire.
    I am going to go under my wife's Sedona and check out the inside of the rear tire. bluedevils -- is your sedona a 2002 or 2003?
    When I reinstalled the spare tire, I tried to leave the mechanism slightly looser than it was when I first removed the tire. Hopefully this will prevent or minimize further damage to the spare tire.
    I've had spares under my vans since 1989 and I always cinched them good and tight so they wouldn't rattle. I've had "cinch marks" and had plenty of flats, and no issues with the spares.

This would be a good question to pose over in Tires, tires, tires - a "pro" has posted some in there recently and may have some advice.

Steve, Host
  • magna2magna2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm hoping that I didn't get one of those "poorly put together Sedonas"
    I began hearing a noise from the front end that sounded like a B-52 taking off. I suspected a tire problem, but after swapping out the spare, the noise was still there. Off to the dealer!
    They were accommodating in that they would look at it the next day. I received a call the next day from the service manager telling me that there was a bad right front wheel bearing.
    The bad news was that one had to be ordered. The good news is that they got the parts the following day. They replaced the bearing,seal and hub.
    My Sedona has 16000 miles on it.
    Do you have a 2002, or a 2003 Sedona?
  • magna2magna2 Member Posts: 2
    It's a 2002. I just received a follow up call about my service experience. I thought this was a nice touch. Do other companies do this?
    Land Rover does this for my car, however they always call the home number and my wife always says "yes, everything was fine" -- I never get a chance to tell them that I am tired of servicing this wonderful vehicle I have come to hate. (the land rover, the kia sedona is great)
    seems fairly common, although lots of brands and dealers don't do it. Sometimes I've had the manufacturer's U.S. operation call and ask about my service (Isuzu). Sometimes the dealership calls.
    Well my list keeps getting longer. I have posted a couple of times regarding some issues that I have with my 2002 EX with 29,000 KMs. Now the radio/CD player cuts out. I noticed that when I turn off the van that there is a clicking noise from the radio. When this happens and I restart the van the radio is completely with out power. I have learned of a reset button the front of the radio on the top right. there is a small pin hole that you can insert a pencil into and this will enable you to power the radio on. You have unfortunately lost all of your preset stations on the radio, The dealer is going to replace this, he says this is an $1800.00 (Can$) radio. Seems funny that they would have a reset right on the front panel, must not be that rare of an issue.

Next I found a spot of RUST on the tailgate, The dealer tells me that this was caused by a loose tailgate trim near the license plate. He is going to repaint the complete tailgate for me at no cost.

I now am experiencing the oil leak that I have just read about in some previous postings. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago and since I was due an oil change I brought the van in and was told that the leak was a result of a loose filter and the problem was solved. It has returned today and when I called the dealer I was informed that this is an issue that they have heard of and that is has something to do with the rubber gasket on the filter being too hard and this causes the leaks.

The van goes in tomorrow to fix the oil leak and in 2 weeks to get painted and the radio replaced.

This seems to me to be an outrageous amount of problem, not just those mentioned here but in the other post as well. Does anyone think that this has a Lemon Law potential?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. the dealer has been great and has fixed things without any questions but that can only go so far.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Not sure lemon law was intended for folks with 18-19,000 miles on a vehicle. It has to be a reoccurring problem which vehicle has been back to dealer for 5 times in a year, however each state law is different. www.lemonlaw.com is one contact.

I can understand your frustration with license paint trim paint pealing and a loose piece of trim causing a rust spot. However, seems like dealer eager to please a customer and fixing it.

Cracked side windows are almost always an installer problem, if not impact related.

Two of your other problems aren't vehicle flaws, they are accessories or aftermarket...Radio is an easy fix already offered by the dealer and believe me, any piece of electronics subject to vibrations of road and heat/cold can develop a short. Right now I have a Nakamichi tape deck, a JVC receiver, and a television all awaiting repairs, and they weren't being driven down the highway at 100+KPH (61mph) hitting potholes.

The oil filter is an easy fix...switch brands. I suppose one can blame Kia if you are using an OEM filter, but chances are, it is an aftermarket (BD did you say Wix?) painted with Kia brand name.

IVO your dealer offering a loaner, and taking care of 100% of complaints (none left you stranded ?) seems like he is one you want to keep.

I don't have nearly as many miles on my 2003, but have bookmarked this for comparison of items in a year or two.

Hope you resolve the problems to your satisfaction...running back/forth to the dealer is no fun.
    martib, sorry to hear about your numerous problems. In my opinion, it's better to have a vehicle with many problems and a dealer that is willing/able to correct them promptly than to have a vehicle with few problems and a dealer that can't/won't fix them.

I'm not saying it's okay that you are having those problems with your Sedona, but at least your dealer is taking good care of you.

OIL FILTER
    Yep, I think the oil filter has all the markings of something made by Wix. Most car-brand filters seem to be made by the actual filter makers - e.g. Ford doesn't make Motorcraft filters - Purolator makes them and badges them as Ford. For the consumer whose vehicle has a faulty Kia brand filter, the blame ultimately lies with Kia. It's up to them to make sure the filter company is producing the filters with acceptable specs and quality.

I used a Kia filter for one of our oil changes but since then it's been Purolator PureOne or Castrol MaxPro.
  • rajm62rajm62 Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2003 EX and are having problems removing and putting the 3rd seats back in.

The one on the right seems to be out out alignment or something. The one on the lest doesn't want to come out.

When I took it to the dealer, after playing with it for 30 min. they finally got the right seat back in and then blamed it on the cold. We garage the van and it was one of the warmest days we've had in months.

This is a safety issue though. My son and I were driving around with a darn heavy seat that wasn't even secured and for the life of me, I couldn't secure the seat.

Has anyone else heard of this? The van is about a month old with less than 600 miles on it.
    Not sure if yours truly has something wrong with it, or if it's just the standard 'they are a little tricky to get in and out' issue. If the former, it would be the first real problem I've heard re: the 2nd/3rd row removable seats. IIRC, when the seat is not totally in properly, it can be tough to remove. Sometimes it's better to push/slam it down and make sure it's in place before trying to remove it. Sometimes when I roll the 2nd or 3rd row seats in and prepare to install them, it looks like the latch and/or wheels are not aligned with the floor mounting points. But all works fine, and I think it just LOOKS like the wheels/latches aren't in the right place.

I've had our '02 EX's seats in and out several times, and occasionally it will take me a good 5 minutes to remove one of them. Slightly annoying. Hopefully your problem is similar or one of not being quite familiar enough yet with the seats, and NOT something physically wrong with the seats.
This discussion has been closed.