Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• Options
    nfv343nfv343 Member Posts: 3
    When we drove our van off the lot, I was concerned about the break-in of the engine as well; we were going to be driving about 150 miles before we got home; most of it at 60-80 mph (we didn't buy the van where we live because they didn't have any!).

The salesman, who seemed very knowledgable about the Sienna (and was going to another tech meeting about it a few days after we purchased ours) said that there was no "break in" needed; just drive it the way you will always drive it. That's what we've done so far, and we haven't had any ENGINE problems (lots of other little stuff; see my post #6 under "Power Door Problems").
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The third row middle seat belt buckles are supposed to "lock" into the slots in the ceiling, according to the instruction manual. But on my Sienna they fit loosely into the slots. Would some of you Sienna owners check yours to see if the buckles lock securely into the slots, please? I don't know if I have a situation that needs dealer service or not.
  • Options
    mayhem2003mayhem2003 Member Posts: 28
    Has anybody else experienced problems closing the sliding door manually. I have manual doors on both sides but I seem to have problems with only the right sliding door.

It usually takes me 2 or 3 tries before the sliding door will close properly. It is the same whether I am closing it from the inside or from the outside. The rear part of the door does not close properly so that it is flush with the side of the van.

I have also found it takes a bit of effort and strength to close the sliding door properly, like you almost have to slam it shut. It would have been nice to have a solid handle to pull to the sliding door rather than the existing door handle that kind of "pivot". If I had known, I would have given power doors more consideration.

When a door is not closed completely, the "door open" dash light comes on but it would be nice if it can signal which door is ajar. From inside the van, it is hard to tell which door is ajar and there has been a few times when we were opening all the doors to see when that "door open" dash light would finally go off.
  • Options
    sam_chansam_chan Member Posts: 10
    We got our LE with #7 for a month now. We love the Van in general, however, there are little problems here and there which annoy us, I am wondering if anyone else also has these issues?

1) Rattling in various places. Most noticable places are passenger sliding door, driver side dash and somewhere in the back door. I will listen to it for a few more days and I will take it in to service to have them nail it.

2) The 3rd row is rather bumpy, even on an even room, not sure if it is due to the tire pressure.

3) I only have one sided power sliding door, the manual sliding door sometimes does not close completely unless I "slam" it close. If I knew this, I would have get both side powered.

4) When shifting from reverse to drive, then step on the gas, I always hear a little "click" noise from the transmission. Is this normal?

5) When accerating or braking, sometimes I feel a little "click" under the Van.

Thanks!
    Sam
  • Options
    mayhem2003mayhem2003 Member Posts: 28
    As per my message right before yours, I definitely agree with you re the manual door.
  • Options
    ronghaiwronghaiw Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I found the same problem while testing drive a LE. That's why we have to go for an XLE. The manual door is too heavy for her even for opening while holding a 30 pound kid in a hurry.
    But again, if you fine tune the spacer (maybe a rubber) between the door and frame you might get lucky.
  • Options
    bakelly11bakelly11 Member Posts: 64
    My manual sliding door works fine. Closes on one try and I don't have to slam it.

Hope you get yours fixed quickly.

Bev
  • Options
    longdistance1longdistance1 Member Posts: 14
    We have had our vehicle now for 10 days and the biggest problem we have encountered is that it gets stuck in Park. This has happened twice so far. We have had to do little tricks to get it to shift to Drive, like turn off the car and then restart it. Has anyone experienced any problems like this? Please advise.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    the steering wheel???

And HEAVY braking.
  • Options
    robsoorobsoo Member Posts: 7
    I have a XLE LTD AWD and so far I have only observed one of your problems in mine. Mine has about 1000 miles on it.

On a rare occassion, when the hatch door closes automatically, I hear a grinding noise. It's hard to duplicate this problem. Maybe some oil will do the trick. I will take it to the dealer if the problem persists.
  • Options
    longdistance1longdistance1 Member Posts: 14
    My dealer says that this isn't a malfunction. This is a safety feature of the Sienna. I was told that you have to have your foot on the break in order to shift out of Park. Apparently, this is to keep little children from accidently shifting into Drive.
  • Options
    sasas1sasas1 Member Posts: 11
    We just bought and LE 8 and have put 1640 miles on it. Woke up yesterday to a totally dead battery. It recharged fine but took a while. I didn't see any open doors but could have missed it with the 4 children in and out. I thought most cars/vans had lights that automatically shut off after so many minutes so as not to drain the battery. Anybody know about the Sienna? I sure hope I don't need to be a door/light police! That would be a huge hassle.

Thanks
  • Options
    wahoowizardwahoowizard Member Posts: 3
    We have an '04 XLE which has an optimistic fuel guage. At the 1/4 full mark it requires 19 gallons to fill. So far the dealer has replaced the sending unit which did no good and has plans to replace the dash fuel guage. Anyone else out there with this problem?
  • Options
    Don't know exactly why, but dome light power is never cut off. A slightly ajar door and your battery is down overnight.
  • Options
    momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    It is possible someone in the back could have been playing with the light switches, or even in the front dash. I feel that the master switch in the front dash is way too easy to accidentaly rocker in the on position. I usually lock my doors with the remote when I leave her for the night, and do a quick confirmation that all lights are off. If any doors are open she will beep one long tone telling you that a door is open, that always helps me.
  • Options
    to be locking the car remotely in the garage but the procedure works.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    yes. maybe it feels awkward, but maybe, if you have small children, it's safer! specially with power sliders: those little fingers and little toes...

i don't have a vehicle with power sliders myself, but I have noted my 4.5yr son has twice recently decided to go out and play in the new van, and left the light near the back gate on. i'm sort of surprised this lamps' "on" isn't disabled by the dash master switch.

luckily I noticed it both times.

yeah, my wife thinks it's funny/awkward too, but until the new-ness of the thing wears off, maybe it isn't such a bad idea.

and momofthree: yeah - if they play at the dash and put the cabin lights "on"...well that would be a really good drain on the battery wouldn't it?
  • Options
    fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Toyota made a mid-production change at some point recently that shuts off interior lights if they are left on. Check out the online e-brochure for '04 Sienna on the Toyota website, on the features pages and you will see this feature has been added.

-Howard
  • Options
    daveandlilydaveandlily Member Posts: 6
    I read on another forum that quite a number of 2004 Sienna owners are having trouble with the black trim panels between the windows. Apparently, the black can start to fade and/or become "botchy" in as soon as two weeks. The problem may be instigated by water/washing. In at least one case, Toyota agreed to replace the panels under warranty, but I would expect the same thing to happen again.

Has anyone experienced this with their new Sienna?
  • Options
    dlmsduncandlmsduncan Member Posts: 1
    We got a Sienna 2004 LE with LE package #5 (BJ).

We are having problem with the radio, when turning on the van the radio just clicks. It will not play any music. This happens sporadically, maybe one out of 10-20 times that the van is started. Usually turn the van off, then restart and the radio is fine - although occasionally it will do it twice in row.

Took to the dealer, who "started it 100 times" and it would not duplicate the problem.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Started a 100 times ???

I hope that is just an expression ... I, for one, would never allow anyone to start a vehicle so many times in rapid succession. Not a new vehicle especially ...
  • Options
    canuck13canuck13 Member Posts: 73
    I had a problem with the AM radio when I first got my Sienna. The problem was that the antenna was not installed correctly. It took them several hours to find out what the problem was.
  • Options
    toyo2004toyo2004 Member Posts: 6
    I had some prblems with the rear interior lights staying on. I found that, if the rear passenger lights are switched on by passengers, then they don't automatically turn off when the car is locked. They have to be manually switched back to the off/auto position.
  • Options
    Have twice been locked out. First time I thought it was my stupidity when I left the engine running while I dropped off a letter. (Car in Park but engine running) The car was locked when I returned. My wife gave me a lot of grief until she was locked out at a gas station a few weeks later. Engine off, in Park, but key in lock while she went to pay. Door locked when she returned.
    Anyone else??
  • Options
    Justwanted to add to two prior posts. This is a great car that could be PERFECT if toyota could sort out minor problems. I just wanted to help identify issues, not put people off this Superb Van.
  • Options
    beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    I have the same problem you have with the interior light. I am going to see the dealer in two days and this is an issue that I will bring to his attention.
  • Options
    shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    The rear top A/C outlet at left second row is warmer, compared with other three rear top A/C outlets at second row and third row. It not only take longer to become cooler (other three take 1 minutes to be cooler, but this one take about 3 minutes to be cooler), but also feels warmer. I have mentioned this to the dealer, but they say it is normal because Sun shine at that side, (then why not the top outlet at third row?), or the pipe distance is longer. Do any you have similar case?
  • Options
    lang66lang66 Member Posts: 5
    Yes. I notied this problem. By checking the owner's manual, looks like it is by their design. Hopefully Toyota fix this issue as fudd2be said.
    Maybe we can send the complain to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov.
  • Options
    bmwfishbmwfish Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

We just picked up our new 2004 XLE Ltd. Went straight from the dealer to home, and in the driveway, the only thing either of the fobs will do is lock or unlock the driver door. Neither of the sliders nor hatch work with the remote. They all work fine from the console. The van had a dead battery on the showroom floor, so they recharged it (clock needed to be reset). Could that have had anything to do with the remotes not working? Is there a programming procedure to make the remotes "known" to the van?

thanks in advance,
    fish
  • Options
    judyk2judyk2 Member Posts: 4
    My 2004 Sienna's hatch is hard to close. You pull the strap down so far then you have to strain to grab the outside and push the rest of the way. My husband closed the hatch for the first time and buckled the panel right below the license plate. Check how flimsie that area is. Couldn't believe it!
  • Options
    I had the same problem. Hold the button down on the remote and the door will open.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard the gas tank recall? Check out:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/
  • Options
    kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    Your van might need to go through the PDS checkup again since the van's battery was dead.
  • Options
    st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    Make: TOYOTA
    Model: SIENNA
    Year: 2004
    Recall Number: 03V291000

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, A PART OF THE FUEL TANK MAY BECOME DAMAGED WHEN CRASHED IN THE INSURANCE INSTITUTE FOR HIGHWAY SAFETY’S 40 MPH FRONTAL OFFSET CRASH TEST CONDITIONS, DUE TO THE SEVERE IMPACT FORCES GENERATED.

Consequence:
    IF THE FUEL TANK BECOMES DAMAGED AND FUEL LEAKAGE OCCURS, A FIRE MAY RESULT IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL TANK. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING LATE AUGUST OR EARLY SEPTEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Notes:
    TOYOTA RECALL NO. SSC 30K. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • Options
    mpolackmpolack Member Posts: 1
    Bought new 2004 LE #7 on 7/31
    Used it three days, and power door broke. Also, no beeping when car left in ignition and ready to exit the van, and no running daytime lights (should have them)
    Took it to dealer, who had it for 8 days. Picked it up today. Tried the door twice, it was OK.
    Got home, tried it once, it broke again. Took it back to dealer today. Will never buy Toyota again!! Can I get a new van through lemon law or I have to wait for a third time to happen?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Power doors can be a bit problematic. We even have a separate discussion dedicated to them:

Power door problems

Chances are your Toyota dealer isn't familiar enough with them yet to know how to get them properly aligned and tweaked. Doesn't help the frustration level any, but I think you're just one of the early guinea pigs for your service department. Eight days is a bit much!

Lemon laws vary by state; I don't know where you are located but a net search of lemon and your state should yield some links for you. Good luck.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    machinematamachinemata Member Posts: 11
    Just wanted to commment on closing the hatch on the '04 Sienna. If you close the hatch manually instead of using the pwr switch, there is no need to slam the hatch shut (if indeed that is what happened). The locking mechanism will grab the hatch latch and shut it by itself when you get it close enough to the locking mechanism. Regardless, I agree the metal does seem to be flimsy below the license plate...
  • Options
    We've had our XLE for about 2 months and put 5500 miles (vacation mileage) on it with no major issues.
    Some minor issues, on vacation going a steady 75 mph, we averaged 23.3 miles per gallon. Not too bad considering van was fully loaded, but still not the 25 or so I was hoping for. Another is the second row egress handle was loose and about to come off. Also, the driver's side visor latch was loose and also about to fall off when I first removed the visor to block the sun.
    The last 2 problems I easily fixed with a screwdriver, as for the gas mileage issue, I can live with, given the smooth power the engine delivers.
    I've recently installed the hitch (HiddenHitch -$130) and am currently attempting to install the wiring harness ($25). UHaul refused to install, they said it void my warranty. Any comments out there regarding voiding of warranty?
    The dealer wants $199 for the hitch and $150 for the wiring harness and am loathe to pay their parts and service prices and am looking for suggestions?
  • Options
    I have never heard anything about warranty being void because of the wiring. The only warning that I have for you is that I was told to use a wiring kit with a booster. Usually, kit with booster are more expensive than 25$. The one I installed was 50$
  • Options
    bmwfishbmwfish Member Posts: 3
    > I had the same problem. Hold the button down on the remote and the door will open.

We took the Sienna to the dealer today (estimate 1hr). I watched through the window as the tech put the van on the lift, grabbed one of the fobs, stood behind the van and pushed. And pushed. And pushed. And none of the doors opened. Went away for a few minutes to deal with the kids, came back and doors are opening and closing with the fob. Tech looks up, sees me, comes in and says "your sienna?" "I couldn't find a problem...you have to hold the button down."

Hold the goshdarn train here. I read judyk2's response yesterday morning and both my wife and I stood in the driveway locking, unlocking, unlocking twice, pushing the slider lock button, and especially holding the buttons down. No go.

Did this guy reprogram the fobs in a few minutes then make me look like a fool? Or...did something else happen, or was it just a glitch in the matrix? I dunno. But I tried both fobs, and no problem. Drove home, parked, pushed all the buttons, all the doors worked. No reprogramming necessary...or...the paranoid side of me says maybe he reprogrammed them but made it look like nothing was wrong. I don't know and at this point, I don't really care. Everything works. I hope everything keeps working.

The truck came to pick up the 01 Chrysler Town and Country Limited today to take it to the wholesaler. Good riddance. Everything was covered under warranty on that car...but it was in the shop every couple of months. Seeya!

Thanks for the responses.
  • Options
    I believe you are correct. I just finished removing the rear bumper panel and on the drivers side of the bumper, beneath a rubber plug, I found a pigtail 6-pin connection that was taped off and seemed to tee-off from the tail-light wires. I'm assuming this is the quick connect for the dealer hitch harness. I checked for voltage and found none, and so I believe I need a booster, maybe a direct connect to the battery or something of the sort.
    Where did you get your wiring w/booster harness? Was it easy to install?
    I'm about to give up and have the dealer do everything and swallow the bill, I estimate $200+ with parts and labor...ouch!
  • Options
    I did not remove the bumper cover so I did not know that there was a connector. I was looking for this connector inside but could not find it. Anyway, I taped each wire at the correct place inside. Everything is hidden. I bought the booster at a garage where they sell hitches. I asked for the wiring for a 2004 sienna and they check in their books and told me that the booster was needed (but not for the 2003 and before).
  • Options
    ceo1ceo1 Member Posts: 23
    I have a similar experience, if not a problem. According to the manual, the fuel tank capacity is 21 gallons. But the last time I added gas right after the warning light came on, I put in 20.5 gallons. That means, I only have 10 more miles worth of fuel left after warning light comes on.
  • Options
    I do not have the problem with manual doors being hard to open or close, but I do find hatch is really tough to close. It won't close securely just by pushing it casually. I have to slam it hard. Is this a common experience?
  • Options
    I only get 20 mpg on highway and 16 in city on the LE AWD model, while the EPA estimate is 18/24. There is no problem with tire pressure. Should I be concerned about it? Can it be an indication of some power train problem?
  • Options
    May be this will help you more machinemata. Here is a copy of what I posted on another site:

I did my own wiring. I was not able to find a connector anywhere. Therefore, I had to make my connections on the wires. I connected the left flasher, the brake light and the parking lights on the left side, the right flasher on the right side, the backup light on the top of the tailgate. The wires in the Sienna are very small. The garage who sold me the kit said that I needed a kit with a booster were we need to also connect a 12volt supply. I connected that wire at the back of the poweroutlet next to the third row. I do not use the booster and the power oultet at the same time in order to not exceed the 10 Amp. I also added electrical brake control. I connected the red wire directly on the brake pedal switch and I took the power from the fuse box next to it (using an unused circuit). It is easy to hide the wire running from the front to the back.

I hope it help. If you find a kit with connecters for Sienna it will be much better. I spent one day doing all that.
  • Options
    jimmymkejimmymke Member Posts: 13
    Machinemata, look for a local independant hitch and wiring installer to do the wiring for you. I bought the hidden hitch and bolted that on, but I was not comfortable monkying with the wiring. My local guy did the wiring for under $50 here in Milwaukee. Good luck.
    Jimmy '03 Sienna
  • Options
    kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    It will take a while for the engine to break in to get the numbers up. When I first got my Sienna, I was getting about 17 mpg combined city and hwy. I now have 3300 miles on the van in less than 2 months and now get 22 mpg.
  • Options
    wahoowizardwahoowizard Member Posts: 3
    Was curious about my optimistic fuel gauge,so I took along a 2 1/2 gallon can of gas and drove my Sienna dry. The low fuel light came on with 50 miles left to empty. After running out, I poured in the 2 1/2 gallons and went to the nearest gas station (3 miles) and it took 21 1/2 gallons to fill the tank. So I have a 24 gallon tank and after the top 3 gallons are burned the gauge is accurate, i.e. 1/2 full means 10 1/2 gallons remaining.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    dangerous and very stupid stunt. To have 2.5 gallons of gasoline INSIDE the van with you is just asking for trouble if you are involved in an accident. And since you can't pin point the exact place you will be when you run out of gas, you could have put innocent people in harms way.

So, now you know how much gas is in your tank when the gauge reads 1/2 full. Big deal!
This discussion has been closed.