Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• martusmartus Member Posts: 1
    I have 85k on my van-my complaints are all minor and the plusses out weigh the negatives hands down but you asked to hear them so here they are. too long of a turning radius, headlights are not the best for night illumination, a rattle on the passenger side sliding door, an occasional clicking noise in the steering wheel, an occasional noise under the dash in the center (usually within the fist mile) backing up with the elevated rear can take some getting used to, at highway speeds getting between a couple tractor trailers or even off to the side of one can give a buffeting or rolling sensation until you clear the windstream---oh yes a real word of advise to first time oil changers. get a pair of high cuffed gloves to remove the oil filter, I have have a few reminders on my wrist to prove my gloves are too short. I know this sounds picky but so far these are my only complaints and I hope they remain this simple, I will be looking at sienna again when its time to buy, hey by that time they will probably have a new name for this fine vehicle. RJM
  • bjenksbjenks Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new Sienna and a coleman pop up at the same time. When Toyota installed the hitch I immediately noticed that the hitch was very low. In fact it is 6.5" off the ground. When the kids got in the car and I hooked up the trailer and with my wife sitting on the trailer, the hitch became 4.5" off the ground. Without the trailer, we are hitting the ground all the time. Toyota won't take any responsibility for this problem and won't even call it a problem. We now have to decide to sell the trailer or sell the car.
    Does anyone else have this problem? let me know at bjenks@bellsouth.net. We love the van, but are very disappointed in the hitch design.
  • kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    Look back through prior postings. IIRC, about three months ago, there were comments on exactly the same issue.
  • jetman767jetman767 Member Posts: 5
    I read with interest the message posted on the personal lights in our 04 Sienna. We noticed the same thing when the button on the dash is set to the door position and someone turns on their personal light at their seat, the light WILL ONLY shut off when you depress the light again. It will not shut off automatically when you shut the van off, exit the van and activate the door lock/security sys. I called the Toyota number that was listed here to register a complaint and see if anything might be in the works etc. and found out the following.
    [1] The correct number to call is 1-800-331-4331 ext.3
    [2] The lady I spoke with said there is NO design flaw or mistake. She told me that if someone in the van operates their own personal light, "there must be a reason they want the light on" therefore the system will not override and shut the light off when you shut the van off and exit. No changes are in progress.
    I voiced my point of view on the the subject to her and was told my comments would be noted.....I guess in a file that is closed!
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    We noticed this today when test driving b/c I had read this here. It should have a timer to turn off to prevent battery drain. I don't think this is a defect though. Most interior lights remain on when the vehicle is turned off.
    With as many lights in this van I really think Toyota should design an auto off option after say 10 minutes.
    I just read in the brochure that the Battery Saving feature is standard on all Sienna's and deactivates personal lights after 30 minutes.

Is this feature not working?
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    This has been an issue for many Sienna owners. Another board I frequent has had many similar complaints, to the point that many owners are carrying jumper cables on a brand new vehicle. Not a good situation in my view.

"I just read in the brochure that the Battery Saving feature is standard on all Sienna's and deactivates personal lights after 30 minutes.

Is this feature not working? "

No, this feature is not working reliably, thus the jumper cables.

• kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    We've had our van about 30 days and already twice the lights have been on the next morning.

Getting to the cold season. Not good.
    Interesting that Toyota has a brochure that states personal lights are deactivated after 30 min. when the vehicle has been shut off. Is this information in the main Sienna brochure that details all the various packages? I would like to show it to my dealership. Thanks.
    The long wait to take delivery of our XLE 04 Sienna was well worth it. Drives nice, rides nice and loaded with more features then we will probably ever use. Outside of my previous question on interior lights the only mechanical item we have noticed is that when we go to start the van the belts squeal. We have had it back to the dealer three times and each time "the belts were adjusted".....only to be silent for a short period of time. I think the dealer at my request has ordered new belts. Has anyone had this problem on a 04 Sienna?
    For those of you reading this that are thinking about buying a Sienna I'd say go for it. This small service issue is absolutely nothing compared to ALL the years of problems I had with my 98 Dodge Caravan.
  • ideaphoriaideaphoria Member Posts: 11
    I am "pleased" with my new 2004 XLE but I have similar issues - rattle in the dashboard - I've located it inside the RADIO, Squealing belts when the car starts, and a cheap sounding 6-disc stereo that disappoints every time I drive the car. The rattle in the dash is my first priority. It's driving me CRAZY. As for the belts..we shall see. I have a question - how can we make toyota take ownership for a trailer hitch that cannot tow? That's rediculous.
  • indyjonesindyjones Member Posts: 49
    Does any one ever read the owners manual anymore?
    Read page 154 and 155. It clearly states that (last paragraph on the page 155) the lights will turn off automatically aftr 20min when the key is removed and the door is left opened with the switch at "door" position for 20 minutes or more. but wait..what if the door is closed...hmmnnn damn japaneses...kidding..
    I found this in the main brochure in the Safety and Convenience section. It is the second to last option and shows as Standard on all models.

I don't have a Sienna, yet, but I do recall the sales guy being confused when I asked about this. I turned on the lights and the off and the rear personal lights remained on. He simply pressed each and they turned off. This happened each time I turned them on then off which tells me something isn't exactly right with this.

Someone should take the time and document how theirs operates and post the results here.
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Do go off shortly after the door is shut, as they should. Not, however, the ones that people turned on manually. I called Toyota about that and they said it is by design and that people turn on lights for a reason.

They said that you can tell if lights are inadvertently on when you lock the van, as the ones turned on manually stay on and others go off. The problem I've run into is that I don't lock the van when I park it in the garage.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    They said that you can tell if lights are inadvertently on when you lock the van, as the ones turned on manually stay on and others go off. The problem I've run into is that I don't lock the van when I park it in the garage.

And the other reason this is a crock is that, if the Sienna's window tint is anything like that on my GCS, it's real hard to see whether the reading lamps are on in a lighted garage (which mine is for several minutes due to time delay on the door opener light). So those reading lights get left on all the time in my van. Fortunately, the power drain is negligible and the van always starts, even in January, in Minnesota.
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    For my understanding after I read the manual, when the door is opened, it will off at about 20 minutes. But when the door is closed, how? it may last for ever till the battery is dried. I think this is a design behavior. When a person turn on the light manually and stayed inside the van, he/she may hope the light keeping on. If this design changed, how to satisfy with the above requirement?
  • momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    When leaving the van, do not close one door all the way, all personal lights should go off regardless. If you do not lock the van when it is in the garage, leaving a door open should be alright also?
  • sasas1sasas1 Member Posts: 11
    When button is on the "door" position and all the personal lights are turned "off" and any door left open, my lights do not go off after any amount of time. The first week I had my van I woke up to a dead battery. The headlights also do not go off unless doors are closed. When the doors are closed and all personal lights off, the lights go off. I find this quite annoying.
  • sasas1sasas1 Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a Sienna that is affected by the gas tank recall. I ordered my gas tank back at the end of August and I'm still waiting! Has anybody else waited that long?
  • newcar35newcar35 Member Posts: 48
    I got mine in within a week (actually, I think it was about 3 days after I called the dealer to have the work done). Repair was completed within a week of my call. However, that was before the letters went out (I found out through the news that the recall was happening, and didn't wait for the letter to call my dealer), so maybe they are back-logged now. The recall does not say that the vehicles are unsafe to drive; apparently the tank deformed during a crash test done by the insurance institute for highway safety, but there was no leak or explosion or anything...

I would still call my dealer back and find out what the holdup is...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think there was a leak and that was the basis for the recall. Deformation without any gas leak must be better than no deformation and a leak?

Steve, Host
    I don't think it leaked; I think they are concerned it might. Below is NHTSA's summary of the recall (copied from their website, www.nhtsa.gov)

Make: TOYOTA
    Model: SIENNA
    Year: 2004
    Recall Number: 03V291000
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, A PART OF THE FUEL TANK MAY BECOME DAMAGED WHEN CRASHED IN THE INSURANCE INSTITUTE FOR HIGHWAY SAFETY’S 40 MPH FRONTAL OFFSET CRASH TEST CONDITIONS, DUE TO THE SEVERE IMPACT FORCES GENERATED.
    Consequence:
    IF THE FUEL TANK BECOMES DAMAGED AND FUEL LEAKAGE OCCURS, A FIRE MAY RESULT IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE.
    I recently changed my oil, and had a bear of a time getting the filter out (unlike my 98 Camry, where the oil filter is practically the first thing you see when you lift the hood). Anyone have any hints or any special tools they used to reach the filter? Did you go from the top or bottom? I'll still change it myself, but anything that can make it easier...
    Oooo, also, anyone know what --if any -- Fram filter is the right one for the Sienna?
    "Two tests were conducted because a major fuel leak occurred in the first test."

This was in IIHS testing.

This was a big surprise to Toyota because, iirc, they had no leaks in their internal crash testing. They must have convinced the NHTSA that chances of it happening were pretty remote (as suggested by your recall notice) since they didn't immediately try to get the vans off the road.

Steve, Host
  • kennyg789kennyg789 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Sienna having problem when refueling gas at the gas station. Gas pump stopped pumping gas as if my gas tank is full, even though it is still near empty. I have to refuel very very slowly in order to get the gas into the tank. I have tried to fully refuel the gas tank to get the air out as suggested by gas stations. However, same problem happened on next refuel. It has been two months since I had the problem, on multiple gas stations and with every gas refuel.
    Any suggestion on what would be the problem.

Thanks,
    Larry in New York
    Try Toyota Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions for older models.

I've seen this problem before, but I don't recall the vehicle model(s) involved. I read the SUVs discussions too, so the model could be just about anything. Maybe an Advanced Search will turn something up.

Steve, Host
  • kwendlingkwendling Member Posts: 3
    I had my gas tank replaced about a month ago. Before the original gas tank was removed the tank had a complete shield built around the tank as part of the original equipment. When the replacement tank was installed the shield was not put back on. I just mailed the dealer today and am waiting for a response. Has anyone ever looked under the van and noticed this shield before and after the replacement? It sure is nice to have as a safety thing and is an option on some SUV and Vans.
  • floridaplantsfloridaplants Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find information regarding how to program features on the 2004 Sienna Limited? I read the post #29 about the programming of the door locks. Thank you Canuck13! I have the towing hitch on the new Sienna. The park assist system is not working. The manual states the system may not work properly when a towing hitch is mounted on the vehicle. Does this mean the park assist system is disabled? Can this feature be changed so the sensors work?

My mail account is marked "public" for an email reply for the programming feature question.
  • mac13kcmac13kc Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 Sienna and at low speed, the transmission seems to slip or miss. Does anyone else experience this? What did the dealer say?
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Are you accelerating or on a slick surface when you experience the "slipping?" If so, it could be the traction control which will actually reduce engine power if it senses a drive wheel beginning to spin -- this is an effort to maintain traction (and thus, steering capability). Just a possibility.

In fact, I am highly suspicious that the same explanation is valid for most of the hesitation-on-cornering complaints posted earlier.
    The slipping is not skidding....it is as if the car is in neutral...you can "feel" it miss.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Maybe we are talking about the same thing. The traction control system will sense the beginnings of a slip and retard the acceleration of the engine (as one possibility) so that you should never even know it happened. However, while you won't be aware of any slipping, you will feel the engine "hesitate." As you are trying to accelerate, it will be slightly annoying since the car seems to not be responding to your desires (which it truly isn't, but it's doing so in the interest of helping you to maintain control of your vehicle).

Again, this is just speculation. You might truly have a problem.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The early Toyota/Lexus inceptions of "trac" would apply braking and dethrottle the engine simultaneously. The newer versions, since 2000, will apply braking first and then after a brief delay will begin to dethrottle the engine.

The dethrottle delay is selected to give the driver time to sense the event and react by lifting the throttle him/herself. The early versions could be quite frustrating, finding yourself pulling into a line of traffic with no engine response.

I'm wondering if the hesitation folks are reporting isn't the result of the few milliseconds it takes to "retune", reset, the VVTI and intake plenum servomotors with a sudden large movement of the throttle.
    I appreciate the quick responses and advice. Maybe I need to clarify a little. The only time I notice a "slip/miss" is when traveling at a slow (5-15 mph), normally right after breaking and then accelerating at a slow rate. The van seems to slip into neutral and then it catches itself...the delay is seconds. I noticed a number of people commenting on transmission "problems" and I am wondering if this could be a major problem and/or what if anything the dealer will do about it. I have the LE model with package one, which means I do not have the traction opition
  • sarniastingsarniasting Member Posts: 31
    mac13kc- I just posted something on this on the Sienna 2004 thread. I seems Toyota has issued a TSB, #TC007-03 which maybe able to correct your problem.
    I am a little green....what does TSB stand for?
  • lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    I believe.
  • torxtorx Member Posts: 2
    I have about 500 miles on my Sienna. Since we bought it, I have noticed that I have to run the starter longer for the engine to kick in than I have on any other car that I have had in good running condition. It only takes about 2 seconds for the engine to kick in, but I am a little concerned it may take longer when it's cold or has had some miles put on it. I'm going to question the dealer about it when I have the 1,000 mile check up.

I don't know if all the dealerships provide the 1,000 mile check up, but it's free and I figure it couldn't hurt.
  • weid4weid4 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone figured out the cause of the dashboard rattle yet (and better yet, has anyone fixed it)?
  • gargamelgargamel Member Posts: 3
    I have 04 XLE with 6 cd-changer. I fixed one of my annoying dashboard rattle noise. The problem was cd-changer. Inside of cd-changer, there are stack of metal racks to hold 6 cds. Right below the last rack, there is another metal cover which causes the rattle noise. Solution is really simple, put very small amount of sticky rubber(I don't know exactly how it's called) between the last rack and the cover. For extra protection, put this sticky rubber between cd-changer and cd-changer top cover(metal).
    (Wheaton, IL)
  • migsmigs Member Posts: 4
    I too have noticed a hesitation to start the car may take up to 3 trys before it finally turns over. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to notice it. like the person said before it can take longer to start than the previous cars I have owned. The bad part is as far as I know, you're not supposed to step on the gas when starting most modern cars. Most of the time I just tell my wife to turn the key back and try again. If it gets worse I will definatly take it to the dealer.
  • sheuler740sheuler740 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my Sienna and it's driving my wife crazy! Car hesitates when you coast at a lower speed (to turn, adapt to traffic, etc) and then try to accelerate. When you give it power, it hesitates, which causes you to react by giving it more power, and then it jerks. First trip to the dealer they told me everything was fine and within specs. Well, it's not fine with me! Second trip I took it for a test drive with one of their mechanics and, after finally demonstrating it and he too feeling it while driving, was told it was fly-by wire hesitation and was normal and there was no fix for it. I insisted that the regional rep test drive it and,after he did, he also told me it was fly-by wire hesitation, within specs, and there was no fix. Can't believe that because they deem it acceptable, I have to live with it. Car is leased - what's my recourse?
  • weid4weid4 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, Gargamel. I don't have the 6 CD changer, but suspect it's a similar situation (easily fixed if isolated). Overall, a minor problem because my kids usually drown it out anyway...
  • dmeyer4dmeyer4 Member Posts: 1
    I need help figuring out how to open/close the third row manual window. I picked up my 2004 Sienna XLE Limited about two weeks ago and just noticed that the rear windows apepar to be open. I believe the manual refers to the third row windows as the "quarter manual" windows but the illustration is nothing like the actual window lever. I can't figure it out so the window remains cracked open. Any suggestions?
  • chiawchiaw Member Posts: 92
    the switch is right next to the power mirror control. Just to the left of it
  • leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    Hi, sheuler740, this is not normal. There is now a transmission software upgrade to eliminate the problem you described. Ask for TSB TC007-03 "ECM Enhancement: Shifting Enhancement" update at your dealer.
  • abbey6abbey6 Member Posts: 4
    I had my 04 Sienna XLE speedometer calibrated at AAA on 11-14-03.It registered a constituant 3+ MPH slow. I took it to a Toyota Dealer and they checked it with a Garmin GPS and it was 3+MPH slow. They also checked the 04 Courtsey Van and it was 3+Mph slow. Both vans had 16" wheels. I believe if 17" wheels were used it would be right on. There is .9" difference in the tires. Toyota says according to the 2004 Sienna Repair Manual,there is an allowable variance between the indicator dial and the actual speed. I still think the speedometer should read right and be able to calibrate it.
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    All cars speedometers generally read somewhat slow. This is allowable and likely even good for you (as it allows for some forgiveness on most people's incessant speeding). This is a federally allowable variable, just like the allowable bug parts, rat feces and other stuff in your breakfast cereal.

Getting it to be perfect will be an ever changing quest, especially after changing tires, as different tires of the same size can actually exhibit different diameters.
This discussion has been closed.