Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Or the station ripped you off with miss-metering the fuel...
  • Options
    rtshermanrtsherman Member Posts: 1
    I get a buzzing sound coming from the front passenger area. I think the speaker is ok, but is causing the molding to vibrate. It does not happen all the time, but can be very annoying when it does happen. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Some may think it was dangerous but if we all believed in the "chicken little" mindset, no one would dare leave the safety of the lowest level of their home.
        I would not try the experiment as some vehicles will not restart without great difficulty if they run out of fuel.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I invite you to to come down to the Cleveland Metro Burn unit and discuss the "chicken little" mind set to some of the people who thought that gasoline wasn't that dangerous.

To get gasoline for our lawn mowers is one thing, to joy ride with 2.5 gallons in the van is insane.
  • Options
    chief321chief321 Member Posts: 19
    If the guy wants to go run his van out of gas there's nothing wrong with that. How do you think the auto companies determine how accurate their fuel indicator is? They put a gas can in the trunk and go drive until they run out.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All very interesting I'm sure, but I think we've covered the miles left in the tank issue pretty thoroughly at this point.

Let's move on to some new solutions, please.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    wisbetwisbet Member Posts: 7
    We picked up our LE-8 w/pkg 4 on 8/15...I too am finding out that the vanity lights don't go out when set on "door" setting so I have to turn them on and off. What a pain and I need them to function as I have two little ones to buckle in carseats....otherwise I'm in love with my Sienna (now if I could only get it in the garage on the first try).

I was reading the Owner's Guide and it seems to indicate (in the most unclear language possible) that the vanity lights when set to "door" will fade after 15 seconds of doors closing if you do something (which I didn't understand, even though I thought I was highly educated!!).

Anyone else see that in the Owner's Guide??

Also, is there any dial or control for dimming the cabin lights (behind the dials, etc) or is it always the same level? Not that it bugs me, but every other car I've had had a dial to lighten or darken the illumination.

Thanks-
  • Options
    robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    Type 11:11 into Google and see what comes up. Nothing x rated, but interesting if you like that sort of thing.

Sorry Steve for being off topic.
  • Options
    Nothing unusual popped up for me. Have you been playing with the new google calculator or something?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    If I am understanding what you are trying to do, the rocker switch in the center consol that says door or on (something like that) can be tricky. There are 3 settings to the switch. I always have mine in the middle. That alows me to have the lights on when the doors are open and when I use my key fob to lock up, the lights dim immediatly. I don't have my owner's manual in front of me, in the van, but when I go somewhere I will double check.

As far as a manual dimmer switch for the door lights, there is none. There is a dimmer for the dash lights built into the trip odometer button. Someone here on the boards tipped me on that one. I guess I am not one for reading my owners manual, because it says right in there. Hope you are enjoying your new van regardless of the little quirks with the lights.
  • Options
    wisbetwisbet Member Posts: 7
    Thanks momofthree - I think I figured it out...I had to push each on light in the van, I guess to get them not to be on all the time. Then once I closed the doors, the lights would go out and the front vanity lights would fade as the manual stated they would. I also found the dashboard dimmer switch on the odometer button today.

Still enjoying the van and getting to know it a little better. Thankfully, I'm not having any real problems with it and my one power sliding door works like a charm.
  • Options
    yclevyclev Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced or has heard of an 04 Sienna body squeak (actually it sounds more like a creaking noise) when accelerating or breaking?

I was loving everything about my new Sienna (just clocked 3k miles) when suddenly at the end of a recent two hour trip I began to hear this squeak/creak coming from the supports between the front and sliding doors when ever I slow down or begin to accelerate and has been that way since then. This is really bothering me as I passed on a used Sienna because of a door rattle and now I can't believe that this is happening with the brand new one. Has anyone heard of anything like this and do you think this can be remedied under warranty?

Hanna
  • Options
    It's probably just a simple alignment issue that your dealer can take of easily enough. There's usually a 12 month "fit and finish" warranty for stuff like this.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ltswinltswin Member Posts: 10
    Hi there,

After much research and being a loyal Toyota user, I would really like the Sienna. I have a 98 Camry now (before that a 91 Corolla), but we have one toddler and are expecting again in Feb so therefore we need a bigger vehicle. I really like the Sienna. However, the dealer here will not haggle with price b/c they don't have to. Anyway, I am interested in the 2003 Siennas and am wondering if anyone had any resources where I can find one. We have asked our dealer and of course he said, "Oh, they will be hard to find"...so not much help there. Thanks so much for any information!

Sincerely,
    Laura
  • Options
    momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    Are you looking for the '03, because they are hard to find brand new. The '04 is hard to find also, but easier than the older body style '03.

The newer ones have to be ordered, mostly, but some dealers do have a couple here and there on the lot. Warning they are going for MSRP!!
     I live in the Northern VA area and I am familiar with the lots around here.
  • Options
    Best friend just bought a new 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR-5 4WD 5 speed Manual pickup. It has a 3.4L V6 that is rated at 190 HP and 220 Lbs-Ft Torque.
        Why and how does the smaller 3.3L V6 in the Toyota Sienna have more power (230 HP vs 190 HP and 242 Lbs-Ft vs 220 Lbs-Ft) than the 3.4L V6 in the Toyota Tacoma pickup?
  • Options
    chief321chief321 Member Posts: 19
    Displacement isn't everything. The Sienna V6 has VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing) which allows Toyota to get better power out of it. The Tacoma V6 does not. There are other differences that could also account for the difference, but that is one of them.
  • Options
    The Toyota philosophy of tolerating no defects at time of manufacture compared to "Let's just put this part back and try another one" of most companies during the assembly line production.
        Toyota has grabbed the sedan market, is doing well in truck and SUV, so naturally they spend the greatest effort now in attacking the minivan market where the Sienna was not selling as well as Toyota quality would indicate it should.
  • Options
    sam_chansam_chan Member Posts: 10
    I have 4400 miles on my 2004 Sienna, there are annoying issues here and there and I am wondering if anyone else also experience them:

1) Driver side sliding door rattling/rubbing. It happens on the upper left hand corner. The rubbing of the door and body rubber produces annoying rattling/rubbing noise. The dealer have verified it and even have the molding replaced, but the problem still exists.

2) After the engine is cooled for 5 minutes, shift to drive, release the break, step on the gas, I always hear some clicking noise underneath the car (somewhere between the driver seat and front passenger seat). The noise sound like as if I run over some tree branches. It can be reproduced every time. I have been back and forth to the dealer a few times, and they told me it was a noise from the ABS. But that couldn't be true if the noise was coming from the center of the vehicle, right? My friend seem to think that it may be debris in the exhaslt pipe. Does anyone have this problem?

3) Rattling from other parts of the vehicle. Smaller ones, and they come and go.

4) The engine, VCS, and Trackion control lights all came up yesterday. Took it to the dealer, and it turned out that the gas cap was loose. I will never figured this one out! :-) Correct me if I am wrong, I don't think this is documented in the owner's manual.

Thanks!
    Sam
  • Options
    The gas cap issue likely is covered in your manual. It's a very common problem on all newer cars with vapor recovery systems, and if the cap isn't tightened after use, it'll trigger the Check Engine Light(s).

Ask your dealer about Shin Etsu grease for the door moldings. Lots of Odyssey owners have used it on their sliding doors with good success.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    I love the gas cap, surprised about your problem. It is much easier to install than others that require 4 clicks!

We have no rattles. Great van.

'04 Sienna
  • Options
    jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    The 04 Sienna did bad on the Insurance bumper test. Had I know this, I would have bought another Dodge.
  • Options
    gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    Keep the Sienna, just don't drive into a post :)
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Really? When I checked the IIHS bumper test results, I see that the 2004 was rated "marginal" with an average damage per test of $802. This is in comparison to the previous edition Sienna which also rated "marginal" with an average damage per test of $610.

The most recent tests for the Dodge Caravan (2001 model) resulted in $1149 in damage and earned a "poor" rating in the bumper bash test.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/low_speed_vans.htm

Good thing you didn't buy another Dodge....
  • Options
    True the Sienna got a marginal rating, but my eyes caught a $1,300+ dollar figure. That is not the only reason I'm not pleased with the 04. It doesn't drive well in wind and it is more work trying to keep its nose straight down the road. I think they made a mistake in making the Sienna larger. It does get better gas mileage. Maybe someone will add a diesel?
  • Options
    vanshopper7vanshopper7 Member Posts: 21
    Which model and package do you own?

One of the reasons they made the Sienna larger was to drive better in the wind.

Vehicles that high (All vans and SUVs) usually have some type of wind-type problems. The Ody had a better suspension IMO.

What other problems have you had? It seems you're not too happy with the van and you may be able to shed some light for others.
  • Options
    I have a 04 Sienna. Yes, it does not drive well in windy conditions plus it wants to wonder around on the road. I keep 32psi in my tires.

Prior to this I had three Dodge mimi vans with the last being a Grand van. The Dodge Grand also did not preform well in the wind but better than the sienna. The other two Dodge mini vans did not give me problems in the wind, so I assume the larger vans pick up the wind more. It is taller than the older Siennas.
  • Options
    beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    The tires should be kept at 35psi (found in the user's manual). After 5000 miles, I have not felt the wind yet. It must not be that bad.
  • Options
    "...but my eyes caught a $1,300+ dollar figure."

Interesting. When I check the results on the 04 Sienna, the highest figure I see is $1152 (rear into flat barrier). Although my eye did catch a $2526 figure for the Dodge (rear into pole). Ouch. We must be looking at different bumper test results.

I can understand the wind problem you're encountering in West Tx, especially if we are talking cross winds. The Sienna does have a lot of sail area.

I wouldn't look for a diesel in the Sienna anytime soon. But I have heard rumors that Sienna, Highlander, and Lexus RX330 may be getting a hybred powerplant (similar to the Prius) in the next year or so. If they could boost the mpg into the low 30's, I think it would be great. Plus, adding a couple of hundred #'s worth of batteries very low in the vehicle structure should aid in stability in both windy conditions and emergency manuevers.
  • Options
    Believe or not, the dealer had 30psi in my tires when I picked it up. I bumped them up to thirty 32 and will now bring them up to 35.

Yes, this is a cross wind that I'm talking about, but you don't have to go to West Texas to pick these conditions in Texas. Right here on LBJ expressway in Dallas there are some raised areas that pick up the wind and most of Texas has a predominant southwest wind most of the time.

I was joking about Toyota coming out with a diesel. I don't think Toyota or GMC will ever do that. Chryslyer will and maybe Ford.
  • Options
    jxg123jxg123 Member Posts: 6
    Does your vehicle have TRAC/VSC option (all AWDs do)? If yes, the clicking sound in item 2 is most likely that of TRAC/VSC engagement. My 02 Lexus has both options, and this sound is described clearly in my owner's manual.
  • Options
    lang66lang66 Member Posts: 5
    Sam,
       Thanks for you to bring them up. I probablly on the same boad with you. I do have your problem 1 and 2. And I have another problem just found recently. When I drive about 35-40 MPH, release the acceleration paddle and let it go for couple seconds. Then press the paddle again, I heard the "click" sound from engine room. I will bring to the dealer to check it up.
  • Options
    mikek15mikek15 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Sienna 2004 LE AWD and had a door rattle/creek problem in a big way. Both sliding doors rattled. Brought to the dealer twice. Most recently, service dept. said the Toyota service bulletin said there is currently only a "90% fix" by filing down and applying a wax to the door centering pins. Dealer REMOVED the "centering pins" on our door thinking that would solve the problem, and the rattle/creek subsided, but the door still rattles occasionally. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    helmutikhelmutik Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am trying to find out what is the size (2 vs 1 inch) of the hitch receiver that Toyota installs on their Siennas. Anyone knows?

Thanks
  • Options
    george96george96 Member Posts: 11
    Mine came with the 1" receiver. Dealer ordered the 2" adapter for me and it came within a couple of days.
  • Options
    momoffivemomoffive Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Sienna with only 2700 miles just got hit by other vehicle causing roughly $7500 in damage to the rear. My new van is no longer new. My initial plan was to keep this vehicle for 10+ years. Any suggestions where to go from here. Do I just have insurance pay for repairs and hope everything will be fine? Do I plan on selling/trading in a couple years? Do I have other options? Are there used 2004 vehicles (demos?) available for trade/purchase at this time? Any input appreciated.
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    Sorry to hear of the damage to your Sienna. Ihope that you and your family were not injured.

I have yet to see a demo Sienna that you could buy. If you want another you will have to get into the que.

Depending on the damage you may not have any issues if the shop that does the work is a good competent place. 7500 is quite alot of work but not nearly what it would take to total it.

Almost as soon as you get it back you will know if its going to be ok for the next 5-10 years. The biggest thing I would worry about is the rust proofing as repair shops can't do all that Toyota can do in the factory.

If the car is not to your satisfaction, sell it and order a new one.
  • Options
    Check into a diminution in value claim too - there's some ideas in this archived board:

How do I price a car after a major car accident?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    sortiz1352sortiz1352 Member Posts: 4
    Van shopping now. We're looking at 2004 Odyssey and Sienna (nay to 2003 MPV). Read through posts. It seems that Toyota Sienna isn't doing too bad considering it has been out since April or so. Few rattles, door problems and a few AT problems that seems to plague so many cars. Wondering how effective AC was this past summer.
    Any one know availability and selling prices relative to MSRP in Phoenix areas. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bulldog
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    even if the body shop makes your car look and drive like new again you will still be required to tell someone it was in an accident and that is where you will have to haggle with your insurer. They will no doubt offer you a check for the damages, but to get diminutive damages will take perserverence.

good luck
  • Options
    sam_chansam_chan Member Posts: 10
    1) Engine lights problem
    I was told that it was caused by a loose gas cap. So I took the dealer's word for it and went home, the light came on again two days later! This time I was sure it was not the gas cap. So I took it back to the dealer again.

This time turned out to be a problem caused by the gas tank replacement (the recent recall), I am not sure what it is, but the dealer is working on it. :-( So for those of you with the replacement tank, beware.

2) Clicking noise from engine / exhaust
    I can now reproduce it by turning the engine off and wait 30 to 45 seconds. I have reproduced in front of the mechanic too, so this time they can not tell me they could not reproduce it! :-)

3) Rattling/rubbing sliding doors
    This continue to be a very annoying issue which the dealer told me they have already done all they could do. :-(

AND, this is probably the worst thing which the dealer could have done to me. When they jacked up my van, they damage my rear bumper. It will need to go to body shop and the car will need to stay for another few days...I think I will probably change dealership soon....

Sam
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I too went through the '04 Sienna vs. '03-04 Ody issue. I ended up with an '03 Ody for several reasons:

1) Option for option, the Ody was abut $3,000 lower in drive out price. (Don't buy a new Ody without at least a $2,500 discount off MSRP.)
    2) I knew the Ody was a 20-star crash rating - Sienna results are yet to be released. I expect it to be 20-star but if isn't, I would have been "ticked" had I bought one.
    3) The few features on the Sienna you can't get on an Ody did not mean a lot to me (split rear seat, power hatch, trip computer, etc.)
    4) With a Sienna, I would have either waited a long time for my first choice or I would have settled for less than my first choice and most likely would have paid for something I did not want (like $600 running boards). With the Ody, I got exactly what I wanted.
    5) I do not like paying MSRP for any vehicle.

Those were my reasons. The only performance area I wish my Ody performed like the Sienna is in road noise. While I would not characterize it as noisy, it is not as quiet as the '04 Sienna.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    dtd98dtd98 Member Posts: 21
    Hi Sam Chan,
    I, too have a problem with my 04 Sienna. After the van is driven for half an hour ,I hear the clicking noise as you describe.I think it could be the pulley of those drive belts or power steering problem.The sound seems to be more pronounced as the engine is hot .By the way have you got your gas tank replaced and where have you got it done?
    dtd98
  • Options
    Got my gas tank replaced this week. The dealer offered a rental car, but we did not think we needed a car for only one day. Just as they said we got our car back with a full tank of gas.

I have no complaints on this kind of service. In addition to the full tank of gas they washed our car.
  • Options
    leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    rbell2
    "2) I knew the Ody was a 20-star crash rating - Sienna results are yet to be released.
    3) The few features on the Sienna you can't get on an Ody did not mean a lot to me"

I could not understand how anyone who is concerned with safety would buy a car without side guard curtain, VSC and Brake assist nowadays. These features will be standard in the future; and I consider them "must have" safety features which may not be reflected in current crash testing.
  • Options
    rbell2: Congrats on your new van. You bought it for all the right reasons. The options that didn't mean much to you were expenses you chose not to incur. Plus, the fact that you didn't spend half your post bashing the Sienna only to further justify your purchase of the Ody gained my respect. Congrats again!

lekn: You wrote, "I could not understand how anyone who is concerned with safety would buy a car without side guard curtain, VSC and Brake assist nowadays..."

To a certain extent, I agree. But, not every Sienna is equipped with these options and the wait is starting to surpass the rediculousness of the wait people suffered with the Ody in the past. Secondly, rbell2 did buy a very, very nice and reliably safe and effective minivan. What's the harm there?

Although I (and possibly you, I'm not sure) have these options in my Sienna Ltd, less than 30% of the Siennas or something like that are so equipped and available to consumers. This makes it difficult for everyone who wants these options, not to mention the price to own them. And before anyone says, "You can't put a price on safety," I'm going to say not everyone can actually afford these nice options either.
  • Options
    Check out this August 6th article from USA Today discussing the "Cool" reception in the US for such technology.

VSC, TRAC Control, and Curtain air bags were options I wanted. However, they are not as available as we may think.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-08-06-rollover_x.htm
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    They may not be as available as they SHOULD be, but they do the job and the Sienna and the Quest both offer them. The Quest offers them as standard on all models. VW has had them on the all of their cars since 2001.5 models.

Just because Americans do not understand or are not offered the possibility of a important safety feature does not diminish the value of it to you and your family.

Frankly if you are paying 25 ish thousand and choose not to buy a option for these features, you are not making good investments in your family. Even more so if you opt for DVD or a Navigation system instead.

Will you say to your children after their mother is killed in a side impact that she really wasn't worth protecting?
  • Options
    rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    Show me a '04 Sienna one can buy for "$25-ish" with front seat side ABS, side curtain ABS, traction control, and VSC (much less 4-wheel disc brakes) - IT DOES NOT EXIST!! A XLE does not even have these safety features w/o buying more "options" putting the price well over $30,000.

One knock I have on Toyo vs. Honda is that the lowest end Ody (LX) is equipped with all available safety features - you do not have to have buy more luxury to get the maximum added safety protection available for that vehicle.

One other comment - while side curtain ABS should offer some added protection in a bad crash, if anyone thinks side curtain ABS is going to be the difference in life and death in more 0.0001% of crashes, this person probably believes in the "big bang theory" for the beginning of the earth as well. The most important aspect is the strength/structural reinforcement of the car's build and people wearing seat belts. Some of these new features are being extremely over-rated.
  • Options
    First of all, it's side curtain SRS (supplemental restraint system), and not ABS (anti-lock brake system).

Second, I thought the 'big bang theory' was in regards to the beginning of the universe rather than the formation of the earth.

Third, seat belts are designed to (1) keep you in the car (prevent ejections) while helping to prevent you from striking objects in front of you. The very nature of the seatbelts means they do a fairly poor job of preventing excessive side-to-side movement of your body within the car in the event of a crash. Side air bags, on the other hand, are designed to prevent your head/upper torso from striking the door frame/window in the event of a severe side impact. Seat belts cannot prevent this. The strength/structural integrity of the vehicle is simply to help prevent vehicle intrusion from the object striking the vehicle.

I do agree with you regarding the availability of the safety systems in the Toyota vs the strategy employed by Honda. I think it is appalling that there are so few available with the side air bags and/or VSC.
This discussion has been closed.