Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• Options
    rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    I think it's a great vehicle on any distance, short or long.

My FWD gets the Chrysler official MPG numbers. But that happens during the summer though.

During the winter, especially if driving it on many short trips, when the engine is cold most of the time, all bets are off on any car, Pacifica included. Add AWD, with all those cold parts and transmission liquids, and things will be worse. That's why people report MPGs all over the chart. Also the time spent in traffic jams is very variable for different people.

Writing down a number would mean nothing to you. What matters is that in OPTIMAL conditions (summer, highway, low speed, FWD, heated car, etc) I get Chrysler's official MPG numbers.

It should be enough space, but you don't want to put a 4 and a 10 year old on the same bench !
  • Options
    scquattlscquattl Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    turbanskiturbanski Member Posts: 85
    Overall MPG so far is 17.5 and seems to have stableized. FWD would be slightly higher. 3rd row seating is fine for children, a little tight for adults. Access to third row can be difficult for seniors. Base model Pacifica is five passenger in case you didn't know..
  • Options
    scquattlscquattl Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I agree that the Pacifica is a great long distance vehicle. I am surprised how much my wife likes the car for her city driving on the weekends. She enjoys the fact that she sits higher in the Pacifica than she does in her four door sedan.
    I have not checked my mileage yet, but you might check out the Edmund's real world MPG for the Pacifica. Good luck!
  • Options
    snowfansnowfan Member Posts: 2
    I was hooked by all of the luxury and extras (DVD, Rear Bucket Seats, Leather, etc.) But, after reading through some of the posts on this site and some others I decided to keep looking for another vehicle. I was scared off by all of the complaints about stalling and dead batteries that can't seem to be resolved. When I called the local service departments for the Chrysler dealers in my area they all said they'd never heard of any such problems. However, the used '04 model I test drove wouldn't start at first and had to be jumped (not a good sign). The dealer said it was a "dead battery" but from what I've read this will just happen again and again. Also, with the stalling problem, this could be deadly. Scared me away.

I know the car has a lot going for it, especially the interior. I really really wanted that car. But, my common sense prevailed and I decided I needed something reliable and safe above all else.

Did I make a mistake? Some of you sound really happy with your Pacificas and others are filing suit under the lemon law? In the meantime, I'm still car shopping.
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    My wife has a 2004 Pac, and it's been problem free. The only time it's been to the dealer is for the free oil changes. We love the car for long freeway trips, it's quiet and refined, although I prefer to drive my cars in the twisties.
  • Options
    rhcpjimrhcpjim Member Posts: 3
    Agree 100% Just bought a 2005 touring FWD love it got it for $22063.73 taxes in!35000 km not a bad deal I think!We chose this vehicle because we have 3 children and we are only 29 and did not want a "minivan" hope to be able to make positive posts in the future.......
  • Options
    fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    Did I make a mistake? Some of you sound really happy with your Pacificas and others are filing suit under the lemon law? In the meantime, I'm still car shopping

People with problems complain. People without problems say nothing. We have a 2005 Pacifica bought new in Sept of 2004 with 10,000 miles. Only problem was a broken window regulator. I just took it on an 800 mile trip where it either snowed or rained the entire time. Very nice to drive, sure footed and solid feeling.
    I don't know how many people had the issues that you refer to, but I bet the actual percentage is very very small, they are just vocal. Also, it seems that some of the stalling problems may be due to using 87 octane instead of 89 octane. If you calculate 10,000 miles and 17 mpg = 588 gallons. Times 10 cents /gallon = $58.8 you would have saved by using the cheap gas. Obviously you can manipulate these numbers, but if you are looking at a $25k-$35k vehicle, this really is small change.
  • Options
    I know I only purchased mine a day agobut i put a whole year into car shopping and I'm in no way displeased or second guessing my choice, but it all depends on what yuor intent for the vehicle is?
  • Options
    i'm 6'4 and have not hit my head yet, nor do I see it possible to do so. You must be a giant or really have bad luck entering cars!
  • Options
    No, it's not because of the 87 octane. We always used the 87 and ours never stalled. Should be something else. Or perhaps some crappy gas stations could have a worse 87 ??
  • Options
    nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    I think what hurts Chrysler more, and owners like me for that matter, is Chrysler's reputation for poor reliability. Is it a fair reputation at this time, I don't think so. I'm not going to tell you that my 05 Pac is perfect,it has some issues. But does it turn on everyday, and take me to work in comfort and safety? Absolutely. Do I feel safe taking long trips? Yes. The only time I get stressed is coming into the "problems and solutions" forum and reading all the negative posts. It makes me wonder about my Pac. 5 years from now. But from what I can see, and feel, it's a very well assembled machine. All machines act funny sometimes. I read other post, VW Touareg, Volvo XC90, and some of them seem more fed up w. their vehicles than Pac owners. Consumer Reports seems to corroborate that greater frustration in their surveys for both those cars rate lower than the Pac. However, the Pac looked good initially w. CR, but then dropped below average in 05. Bummer. Despite all that, I am really enjoying this vehicle, bugs and all.

rodut
    By the way, I don't believe stalling and Octane go together either. By coincidence, my Pac did stall w. 87. But their is still, very rare, and "idle stumble" w. 89 octane. Not too worried about it, I'll take it in when I get a chance.
  • Options
    fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    It makes me wonder about my Pac. 5 years from now.
    We have a 1 year old Pacifica with no problems. We also have a 1999 Intrepid purchased 6.5 years ago which has the 3.2L engine (baby to the 3.5L) that has had two out of warranty repairs (trans sensor, wheel bearing) for about $450 at the dealer and two in warranty repairs (window regulator, windshield washer reservoir) for about the same amount of money. This car is great and very solid. I had a 1992 Grand Caravan which went 170,000 miles and the only real work that it needed was front axles.
  • Options
    That's pretty good. I too had a 99 Intrepid 3.2L that was wonderful for the first 3 years. Then the Car Gods came down on me w. a vengeance. AC evaporator, tranny sensor, every 6 month rotor warper, the car even high beamed w. no human intervention, the list goes on. However, bulletproof 3.2L motor. Obviously not as fortunate as you w. your Intrepid.

Like I said before, when you spend some time in the "problem and solution" forum, one can't help but worry. I now only go in there if I really have to. I'm enjoying this car. I'm also getting a little more involved in the servicing as well, especially since the engine bay, and underneath, is so nicely designed for easy service. Just installed a fumoto valve for easier oil changes.
  • Options
    4daws4daws Member Posts: 1
    Please, do yourself a favor and KEEP the one you bought! As a Pacifica owner, I can tell you from experience that Chrysler has worked hard at improving these cars every year since they were introduced. My 2004 has had more problems then I have space and time to tell. Regards, 4daws. :surprise:
  • Options
    sudbury1sudbury1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a new 2006 Pacifica. Having trouble adjusting to the front Driver's seat. It seems to be much farther back than what we are used to. The seat control don't seem to offer a position where the seat straightens up right against your back to support your posture. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve this seat setting or problems they have encountered similar to this? Thks..
  • Options
    That's right. That pissed me off since the beginning. The vertical portion of the driver seat doesn't come forward enough. I tried a Dodge Magnum chair last week, and you can bring it forward so much that it could push your face against the windshield.

The only solution I found with Pacifica was to move the lumbar support as far to the rear as possible. That would allow your butt to move to the rear, so it will keep your back more vertical.

P.S.: That works if you have lumbar support adjustment on the Base model. I don't know if you have it.
  • Options
    sudbury1sudbury1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your ideas..unfortunately we don't have the lumbar support on our base model..appreciate it.
  • Options
    twinwrkztwinwrkz Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2005 Certified Touring White with beige leather. It had 20,500 miles. It has the CD changer and DVD but no screen. It has the power liftgate. I paid $21,500 which is what I think matched Edmunds estimate. My purchasing experience was pretty good as I went through the internet sales manager.

So far, I love my Pacifica. It looks great and rides great. I was headed to buy a Honda or Toyota minivan but wasn't all that excited about the idea of driving one or the price of the vans. This is a great alternative. I haven't had it in the shop yet but so far so good. It is a good size for my family of 4.

I have a question. I leave the headlights turned on which they will go off after 90 seconds. Why then do I get the "ding, ding, ding" when the door is opened? I can't find anything about this in the manual.
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    My understanding is that "Auto Off" only works if you have the Auto Headlight feature. And it will "ding" if you left the light setting on anything other than "Auto."
  • Options
    turbanskiturbanski Member Posts: 85
    This option may be turned off. Check the "menu" button just to the right of the instruments. Then scroll through the menu that appears. A touring edition should have this option.
  • Options
    abqpacificaabqpacifica Member Posts: 1
    do you know how to remove the OEM DVD player, actually I have a monitor that I would like to hook up to the player, does the 6 disk cd/dvd player have ouput RCA jacks or?
  • Options
    b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    I have now had my Pacifica for 3 years and 50,000 miles. For over the past year it has not had one issue. Prior to that, the issues were minor (fading A/C display, front end slow speed noise, egr valve). My only out of pocket expenses so far have been headlights, oil and filter changes and new air and air conditioning filters. I only wash my Pacifica with water and it still looks virtually brand new. Every feature of the Pacifica seems to have been designed as if Chrysler was thinking of me and my wife. I'm one happy camper.
  • Options
    aviateaviate Member Posts: 31
    :) Same here. Just hit 50k last weekend. New tires and just keep doing routine maintenance. We still love it.
  • Options
    davertdavert Member Posts: 23
    ...are at http://www.allpar.com/model/cs.html

This includes the six-speed automatic and other changes...! :):)
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    I hope that info changes.

I see nothing wrong with the 3.5, if they would just couple it to a 5-speed (heck, i'll take the 6-speed if they simply MUST use it).

I want better pickup AND better mileage. I'm sure a 6-speed 4.0 liter would solve one of those issues, but I doubt it would get better mileage.

I hope its not the old 4.0 from the Jeep division.

And why use the 3.8? Isn't that the same engine in the BASE pacifica last year that had only 210 hp?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ramabdel12ramabdel12 Member Posts: 6
    So just pull it out from underneath the headlight? thanks a lot,its helpful
  • Options
    The Pacifica has just been rated one of the top 8 Great Road Trip Cars by CNN/Money. Their comment: "The Pacifica is an SUV for the way people really use SUVs. It won't climb mountains or ford streams. It will carry up to six people in genuine comfort. It's wide-waist design can make it a challenge in tight spaces, but it gives the Pacifica remarkable stability on curvy roads. It's not exactly fun to drive but, unlike a lot of SUVs, it isn't a drag, either."
  • Options
    tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    I did't bought my Pac to have fun on it. Comfort equals fun for me.
  • Options
    steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    Put some sort of tape down on the chrome part of the bumper or you risk scratching it when the headlight assembly comes popping out!!!!!!!!!!! :surprise:
  • Options
    zarbazarba Member Posts: 30
    So no HID's with FWD? I'm considering a PAC FWD, but my Acura has spoiled me for HID's.
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    It's actually not that difficult to swap out your regular lights for HIDs — all you need to do is to get a set of HIDs off eBay and a Power Distribution Module from Chrysler — all for between $600 to $800!
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    My friend has the Michelin Mxv4? on his FWD 04 Pacifica. He wants new tires. What tires has anyone put on their Pacifica and what comments do you ahve about them?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    amrasnickamrasnick Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have read that others have had problems with their Pac gas gauge indicating low fuel, the dial plunges to "E", it "Dings", and then bounces back up to a correct reading. Has anyone found a successful solution??? The "Dinging" is nerve racking. help.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've moved the oil change posts to the Chrysler Pacifica: Care & Maintenance discussion.

We're trying to get away from the mega-topics to make it easier for folks to find the information they need. :)
  • Options
    We'll be creating some more specific topics for various Pacifica issues. Here are links to a couple of new ones.

Chrysler Pacifica: Starting/Stalling Problems
    Chrysler Pacifica: Electical/Lighting Problems
  • Options
    kcbakerkcbaker Member Posts: 8
    Anybody have any pics to share of a Butane Blue Pac?

I've googled and found a couple but nothing that great.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    stevenwstevenw Member Posts: 18
    #1966 of 2124 Update to prior post by redwingsfan Jan 25, 2005 (11:35 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg

"#918 of 984 New Forumite by redwingsfan Dec 08, 2004 (5:43 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply

We recently bought our Pac pre-owned - 2004 with 10,150 miles on it - and took it into the local 5* to get it checked over this morning. (We bought it from a Nissan dealership who had taken it in trade and figured they wouldn't know jack about the Pac.) Issues I had them look at: Somewhere along the line the gas cap hadn't been tightened all the way so the MIL was lit when we got the car - Nissan didn't know how to check it out or reset it. I have been reading this forum for the last week and found out that the ATC control head problem wasn't just in ours (thank God) but others had it too. I speak of the intermittent fading out of the display rather than it being in the "delay" mode." Finally, the AWD badge on the liftgate was delaminating and looked out of place on an otherwise sparkling Pac.

We took it in and I waited for the phone to ring this afternoon. I was all ready for the "we couldn't duplicate the ATC display fade out" argument but to my surprise the Advisor said, "Got your car done. We replaced the ATC control head, replaced the AWD badge and reset the fuel pressure sensor. It's ready to go.....oh, and we also checked out the 2 current recalls, they were both completed by the previous owner."

After hearing horror stories about Chrysler dealers I was floored by this. Thus far the wife loves her Pac and it's all put back together correctly. Everyone's happy for once."

I made the above post on 12/08/04 and we've had no problem in the nearly 2 months since. The service at the Chrysler dealer was awesome and the wife still loves this car. I kind of get the feeling, after reading all the bitching, that this is an 80-20 type deal. 80% of the posts are "problem" posts where people vent frustration and 20% are posts where people are pretty darned satisfied. Personally, I don't take much stock in all the whining due to the reasoning above. I also wonder if the "crappy service" at Chrysler dealerships isn't actually a reflection of people's poor attitudes right back at them. Yelling and screaming at people doesn't make them want to help you out. People who would (as my Dad used to say) [non-permissible content removed] if they were hung with a new rope giving dealers attitude from the get go, merely exacerbates the problem.

Months later, still no problems. Now have 17,000 miles on the Pac and wife's still loving it. The local 5 * is great - no problems at all with anything we've wanted or needed.

--------------------------------------

27500 miles and still no problems. :D
  • Options
    stevenwstevenw Member Posts: 18
    In fact, we're so happy with the Pac experience that I'm going to trade in my old '98 Aurora (only 76,250 miles) on a Chrysler 300 Limited. I like the gangster inspired styling that the 300 exudes. Considered the C but don't really need 340 HP with gas at nearly 3.00 a gallon in my area. The 3.5 HO 6 puts out nearly as much HP as the Aurora (240 vs 250).
  • Options
    pacifica06pacifica06 Member Posts: 2
    I ran into your thread and really appreciate the info.
    As I can find any info on this subject .

Do you know where I can find some illustration on this radio removal subject??

Any Idea?

Sincerely Thanks
  • Options
    ramabdel12ramabdel12 Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone! I bought a pre-owned Chrysler Pacifica 2004 AWD form a Honda Dealer. Well, I took it to a Chrysler service center since the headlights in the vehicle are both bad. They look badly fogged but you can see some white layer on the inside of the lens. Chrysler does not want to repair this and so does Honda. What do i do? Please help me, because its hard to see at night. Thank yoiu very much! :(
  • Options
    steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    I own a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica FWD bought new, and my headlights are crystal clear. I would say that fogged headlamps are a sure sign that your Pacifica was never garaged and spent 100% time outdoors in the sun. UV damage from sunlight can really do a number on a car that is not garaged . Damage like this is not covered by any warranty, from Honda to Chrysler to Mercedes.

With a used car, it's buyer beware, so maybe a salvage yard or you can try ebay for new headlight assemblies.

Question: Do you live in a sunbelt state like Florida or Texas? Try to find a garage for your new Pacifica, it will thank you!! :)
  • Options
    fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    As so called "Family auto expert",I am trying to advise a relative on a used Pacifica purchase. I have looked at a couple with her..

I would like to see her with an FWD for mileage purposes, but she is looking at a used '04 AWD with about 25,000 miles on odometer. I am concerned about the AWD gas/economy mileage, as this particular car shows 14.2 avg on car's onboard mileage calculator. This seems really poor, although it is possible that current owner is just doing city driving. Does this 14.2 represent typical mileage on AWD version. Is mileage significantly better on FWD version?

I am also curious about drive quality of AWD vs FWD. Does AWD have more trucklike characteristics.

Also concerned that this is an early '04. built in 03/03, so I am concerned about early production issues? ...I try to avoid "first year" issues with new models.

I would appreciate any input that others might provide....
  • Options
    As far as my gas mileage goes, it's approx. 16mpg on short daily trips (ie 20 mile round trip) in mixed driving. The on board mileage calculator is actually pretty accurate, assuming you reset it every time you refill.

IMO The AWD Pac is a very, smooth driving automobile. It is definitely more car-like than truck.

As far as first year quality, you would have to read through this forum and others. My feeling is that there were some "teething" probs. w. the 04. Some of those probs. carried over into 05 and 06 Pacs as well, ie stalling probs. However, despite the chatter in these forums and others, I still don't think the Pac is a bad car. I'm sure you can do a background check on that particular vehicle for more info. I purchased an 05 AWD Pac w. hopes of skipping the first years probs. that come w. new designs. So far, it's been a pretty satisfying experience at 6000 miles. But from what I've read, there are some very satisfied 04 owners out there.
  • Options
    I have an AWD and I would also suggest FWD. I hadn't even tried one myself until I got a loaner while ours was in for service. I found the FWD to be much quicker, "feel" much lighter and more lively, AND got about 4-5 mpg better mileage. (we typically get between 18-19 in mixed driving with our AWD Touring.)

Get her to drive both and she may see the differences herself and prefer the FWD.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    I'm curious. Since the R class looks so simliar to the Pacifica, I was wondering, does anyone know for sure if they share the same platform?
  • Options
    according to all accounts I've read, they are VERY different.

I still have a tough time actually believing those accounts, though. I mean, 2 vehicles so similar from the same manufacturer, yet they manufacturer claims they are completely different .... hmmmmm...

• Options
    As you may have noticed, new discussions are springing up all over the forums. We're trying to get away from the overly large discussions where users have to wade though literally thousands of posts to find the information they're after, and move towards smaller, more focused discussions on different issues involved with the vehicles.

So here in the Pacifica group, you'll see discussion titles like:

New Pacifica Owners - Give Us Your Report

Chrysler Pacifica: Audi & Entertainment Systems

Chrysler Pacifica: MPG-Real World Numbers

Chrysler Pacifica: Starting/Stalling Problems

Chrysler Pacifica Test Drive - What Did You Think?

just to name a few.

I'll be pulling posts from this discussion as new ones are created and directing you to the proper discussions as things get posted here that should go elsewhere.

So before posting in the general discussions here, check the discussion list to find the topic you're going to post about. If you don't see one on the list, please feel free to add a discussion to the list. We can shine it up after the fact if it's not quite right ;)

Thanks in advance for your help on this. Old habits are hard to break, but this should help everyone find thier way around here in a more efficient manner.

If you have any comments or suggestions for the Pacifica forum, please feel free to click on my username and drop me an email!
  • Options
    Dan Wiese
    AUTOMOTIVE WRITER
    Wednesday, Jul. 19 2006

DETROIT — Although the 2006 Chrysler Pacifica, with its available 250-hp V-6, could hardly be described as under-powered, Chrysler officials have concluded that Pacifica’s groovy new hood deserves to cap a few more ponies. Boasting a mild redesign, which includes new headlights and hood grooves — or “strakes,” as Chrysler likes to call them — the 2007 Pacifica features a
    freshened look. The real news, however, is the primary powertrain, which includes an all-new, 4.0-liter V-6 that boasts 5 more horses and 15 additional pounds feet of torque
    compared to the 3.5-liter V-6 it replaces. “It’s the most powerful naturally aspirated V-6 engine in the Chrysler Group lineup,” said Tom LaSorda, president and CEO of Chrysler Group. I call that engine part of the “primary” powertrain because the ’07 Pacifica, available in base, Touring and Limited trim, does offer a 3.8-liter, 200-hp V-6
    backed by a four-speed automatic, but you can only get it on the price-leader, front-wheel drive base model. Everything else — base all-wheel drive, Touring front- and all-wheel drive and Limited front- and all-wheel drive — gets the new 4.0-liter, 255-hp V-6, which couples exclusively to an equally new six-speed automatic. The additional two cogs that six-speed brings to Pacifica’s drivetrain get the
    most out of the slight increases in power and torque that the new 4.0-liter provides. A quick spin around Chrysler Group’s Chelsea (Mich.) Proving Ground test track revealed a Pacifica that’s notably quicker off the line, thanks in
    large part to that shorter first gear. It’s not quite as lively accelerating at speed, mainly due to the lofty 4,200 rpm that must be achieved to take advantage of the full complement of 265 lb.-ft. of twist. Even so, passing
    ooomph is plenty adequate in this family friendly ride, despite a curb weight that can reach close to 2.5 tons in the top-of-the-line Limited. Available in five-, six- or seven-passenger versions, 2007 Pacifica upgrades also include standard all-row side-curtain air bags on all models and Daimler-Chrysler’s Electronic Stability Program stability control system for the entire line.Since it debuted as a 2004 model, Pacifica has always been a stylish family hauler and a great alternative to an SUV for those who need plenty of cargo and passenger-hauling capability. Its new drivetrain and safety hardware just make it all the better.