Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    martyv1martyv1 Member Posts: 21
    Kudos to Ayers Chevy in NJ. Replaced my ISS today. No fuss no delay - 30 min. and it was done.

Steering is tighter and no clunking.
  • Options
    whewdoggywhewdoggy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 02 Impala and was given one good and one orphan keyless entry transmitter. How do I program it?
  • Options
    otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    Keyfob programming can be done through the menu system on the radio. It's in your manual. Quite simple, really.
  • Options
    hannkittyhannkitty Member Posts: 4
    I have been a Chevy person all my life. Never once had a problem. I had a 94 Chevy pickup with 220,000 miles on it got rid of it and bought a new 2002 Impala in April 2002.I I've been driving this car back and forth to work, 7 miles each way, and noticed no power, loud "clicking noise" when started and terrible gas mileage. Brought it into the dealer where purchased and have had nothing but trouble since. They had to replace all 6 pistons because they lacked a teflon coating on them, which prevents the ticking noise when started,then found that my crankshaft was "severely" scored due to improper installment at factory. They found coolant in my oil,and the screw holes on my head were not drilled deep enough so the proper torque was never put on. Ive complained to the dealer, Ive complained to Chevrolet and all they have done was "repaired the problem". I'm sorry to say this car has only 5, 127 miles on it and I do not fee safe. The reason why I bought this vehicle was because I now have 2 little girls age 3 and age 9months and I purchased it for safety and "reliability". Both of witch I do not feel have been full filled. I am currently in discussions with Chevrolet about the lemon law and am hoping that something will be resolved out of this issue. I currently still get terrible gas mileage and the engine seems to be much louder and hesitation is still a factor. I'm hoping that I may get some feedback on this issue Thanks
  • Options
    dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    My 2000 impala has about 60,000 miles on it so far and is driven at least 82 miles a day. I have the clicking noise too, but not for the same reason. I think you definately got a bad one and should get a choice of full credit on your purchase, refund, or a new Impala fully optioned to re-imburse you for taking days off to get your problems looked at. Good luck and please keep us all updated. Most of us here have had pretty good experiences with our cars and dealers (my dealer fixed a short caused by an aftermarket cd changer i installed for free, updated me to fix a brake-line recall, and service with a smile). All for no charge even though my stereo guy screwed the car stereo wiring up when he installed a CD player for me. What town/city is your dealer located in? (just so if they turn out to be incompetant we dont end up buying there.)
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Gee, that story sounds...unbelievable.
  • Options
    It does?
  • Options
    The dealer is DeNoyer Chevrolet an it's located in Albany NY. I really cant blame these guys because they are doing exactly what Chevrolet told them to do. Although I am disappointed with their service manager. He told me he put new bearings on the pistons and when confronted about the price of them, I found out that it cost only $17.00. Now im not the smartest guy when it comes to repairs, but my fater in law is, hes a mechanic. Now that where the fun began. Needless to say the service manager was caught in a lie when he said that they replaced all 6 piston bearings when in reality they only replaced one. They should have replaced all 6. Secondly, the told me it was a new crankshaft they installed when the put in a re manufactured one. Im sorry but I a car that has only 5,127 mils on it I should have gotten a new crank shaft. Then they could not explain to me how I got radiator fluid in my crankshaft. In my honest opinion this car was a mistake since step one at the factory, and Chevrolet is not doing a thing about it, they gave me a extended warranted on the motor 5 year or 60,000 what ever comes first, but I don't feel safe driving this vehicle, im honestly afraid of it just quitting some day. Hope to write something better next time, maybe Chevy might read this and do something. sorry to say but im still a very dissatisfied customer. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    You have grounds for an excellent lemon law case, at least in California. Do a "google" search for lemon law in your state. You may even find the name of a good attorney or paralegal service that can help.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Here is an excellent resource for Lemon Laws. Summary of the laws by state, the actual statutes, and links to the enforcement department in your state.

http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html
  • Options
    As of today. Oct.25 2002 I'm sorry to say but I must file a lemon law complaint against Chevrolet. They sent out a field representative who did not want to speak to me person to person and remain anonymous. From reading my repair problems and talking to the dealer they offered me a warranted of 6 year or 75,000 miles whatever comes first on the repairs that they made. I am still currently on the highway getting 14.9 miles to the gallon( the dealer says there is nothing wrong) and im losing radiator fluid somewhere( dealer has no idea where)I have contacted local lawyers and some people on the inter net(little skeptical of them). Hope this is settled soon. Next time I hope to have something better to write
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Lemon-law claim is the right thing to do. Chevy has really missed it with your Impala (the person that built your engine must have been comatose). It's too bad you got a bad one and have had such poor service after the fact. So many of us on these boards have had overwhelmingly positive experiences with our Impalas.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
  • Options
    It always irks me when I see a company not want to do the right thing for one of its customers. At the very least they should have replaced that engine. I've known people for whom they have done that.
    If you lived in CA, I'm sure you'd get a lemon law jusgement in your favor. Hopefully, you'll get it in your state. If I was you, I would not accept a replacement auto, and certainly not an engine. I'd demand a full refund, and then I'd buy a non-GM product with it, just to send them a message, as well as general principle.
  • Options
    To see a corporation like Chevrolet do what they are doing your right it is killing me. I just hope with the lemon law suite that they come back and say "well, we offered him a guarantee on the engine for 6 yr or 75,000 what ever comes first, I hope that doesn't bite me in the butt.I have the feeling this is going to be dragged out in the paper work for a log time. Unfortunately I will always drive a Chevy and I will probably buy another Impala just because it is such a nice ridding car and it handles great. Just hope the next one (if I win this thing) isn't a lemon.
  • Options
    nutz4lsnutz4ls Member Posts: 15
    Greetings,
    A while back I posted about my 2000 LS smoking at start up. Here's an update... The car still smokes. I've written GM and have been spoken with a legal department rep several times. The rep set up another inspection at the garage of my choice. They didn't do a thing to the car. The response I received was that the service manager spoke to GM engineers and they came to the conclusion that my car exhibits "normal behavior" for a 36000 mile engine. BULL! My parents have had two Buicks with the 3800 series V6, each vehicle went well over 100,000 miles and never once smoked a bit. After 5 times to the garage and a new "story" each time I go, I'm going to get the BBB involved and maybe even a lawyer.

I'd like to take a informal survey of the impala owners who post here...What year, how many miles and has it ever smoked?

I doubt that this is "normal behavior". While I can understand condensation on mornings or evenings, I know that condensation or steam disappates quickly after being exhausted and my "cloud" does not. I have video tape where I show the current day's newspaper and then start the car. The cloud hangs in the air for quite some time, even on a cheap video tape, the cloud is visible for two plus minutes.

Does anyone here have contact info for places like motorweek, car and driver or any other media outlet that could either comment on my questions about the 3800 series or even do a story on the poor service and lack of character displayed by GM, chevrolet and their service stations?

thanks,
    Nutz
  • Options
    I have almost 30,000 miles on my '01 LS and it does not smoke. Well, not out of the tailpipe, anyway. Have you pulled the plugs to look at them? How is the oil consumption? Are you able to pass emission testing (is it required in your area?)
  • Options
    I think my 2000 base w/3.8 engine smoked similar to that discribed above one time; seems like it was in the first winter I had it (would have had at @ 15k miles). It's never done it since, and never exhibited any other odd behavior. I chalked it up to a weird atmospheric thing (weather was cold and damp, but it definitely wasn't just condensation - it was a thick cloud). I'm about to hit 44k miles now, and except for the occasional flickering airbag light, I'm not having any problems (at least that I'm aware of).

All the car pubs should have websites, which should have a link for sending e-mail messages. Draft a level-headed, detail-specific e-mail (if they think you're just ranting, they'll probably blow it off), and then send it to as many pubs as you can find.
  • Options
    Night Owl offered an excellent suggestion as to an emission test. Go to your local "smog" testing station, and ask for a "pre-test", where they don't send the results to your state's DMV. Just get a printout.

I recently had a smog test on my 2001 LS, in preparation for a transfer of registration. I would be happy to compare our results:

At 2500RPM, HC was 8ppm, CO was 0.01%, CO2 was 14.9, and O2 was 1.3

At Idle (740RPM), HC was 8ppm, CO was 0.01%, CO2 was 14.9, and O2 was 1.4

See if your local newspaper has a "Ask the Mechanic" column in their weekly auto section. Ask him/her what they think. The auto magazine websites are also good, as nosiraq suggests. Also, try http://cartalk.cars.com/. They have a "talk back" section. They also have a radio show where they answer questions from listeners.

The smoking your car exhibits IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR for a 36K mile engine. Either oil is getting into the cylinders, caused by worn or faulty valve guides, rings or seals, or coolant is getting in there due to a worn or faulty gasket.

• Options
    trev01trev01 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 LS and my interior squeeks durning the colder months here in Michigan. I don't know why. Has anyone esle had this problem? Other noted problems were: Replaced Plenum in cooling system, Lubricated the Steering Column for clunking sound, engine shut down at idle, Replaced thermostat, Remove & Replace molding around rear window due to coming loose, and now the two strips that run along the top of the car are coming loose at the ends in the rear. One's on each side. All of this and the car has 27K on it. Do you think it's time to trade?
  • Options
    Yes. Sounds like yours was built the morning after National Beer Drinking Day. (A popular Canadian holiday celebrated on a weekly basis.)
  • Options
    I have a '01 LS with 29,000 miles on it. The steering column was lubed for the clunking, both roof rail trim replaced due to lifting, both front and back windshield removed to replace the rubber seal which was lifting because of the roof rail trim, power seat rails replaced, parking brake cable adjusted, OnStar wasn't working when I got the car, engine shut down once while I was taking a turn, the interior plastic pops when the interior temp changes. Even after all that, I wouldn't consider trading in my car. Especially when you hear about problems that other cars have been having.
  • Options
    That's like voting for the politician that's less awful.
  • Options
    I didn't say that was the only reason that I am keeping my car. Its something to consider. Anyway, in the last few elections, its been a case of who I dislike the least.
  • Options
    LOL. Don't I know it. I guess the sunshine, blue skies, and clean air of Hawaii don't improve the quality of the politicians, only the flowers and coffee beans.

Hey. I've begun copying those TSB's for you. I'll start with the newest, and what seem to me to be most important. That should make your TSB pages very cool indeed.
  • Options
    I sent the pertinent ones that I had. What's strange is I seem to remember one about the coolant filler neck and cap not sealing properly, causing the orange Dex-Cool to turn into a brown gel-like substance, or coolant loss in general. For some reason, I don't see it on my list now.
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll check my e-mail box when I get home. The TSB for the coolant is 00-06-02-004. It says it applies to the '00 Impala even though it could be across the board. Maybe that's why it's not showing up.
  • Options
    craigindccraigindc Member Posts: 21
    ATTN jhavign, garypen, all - long-story-short, replaced the "ISS" on my 2001 LS, (built 10/2000) in Nov 2001. Problems started returning Spring 2002. Took to dealer in Aug 02, they "lubed and tightened," but no good, no difference. Took back in Sept, they ordered a part that "cleans the ISS?" The "part" finally came in, took the car back the other day and they replaced the "entire rack and pinion," AND applied some kind of adhesive to the engine cradle. It had to sit there for 24 hours to "set," but once I picked the car up...WOW...FANTASTIC, I could feel the difference straight away. It's tight, nimble, sure-footed. I LOVE it. I can't believe, tho, that it took 11 mos to get it right. GM needs to acknowledge this and make the fixes across the board. If I'd not been so persistent (and a big Chevy and Impala fan) I would have sold the car and never bought another. I'm writing a letter to the dealer to commend them on how they handled me, but cc'ing GM Customer Relations...it shouldn't have taken this long...and we KNOW there are many Impalas with the same problem. CCD
  • Options
    whippetcatwhippetcat Member Posts: 14
    I think I may have the "clunking" issue with my steering and I'd like some advice. I have a 2001 Impala LS...for the past couple of months, I've noticed that when I step on the brake at times, and if I make a slow turn around the corner, I get "feedback" in the steering column that can best be described as "clunking." Is this the clunking problems talked about? If so, do I bring this back to the dealer or can my trusted repair shop do the job under warranty? (I have 28K miles, own the car less than 2 years.) Does anyone have an article or something to print out to show the dealer?
  • Options
    Yep - sounds like you have the same thing I had. You need to be persistent...and get the complaints DOCUMENTED NOW by getting to the dealer before you hit 36K. I was VERY clear - as well as persistent - in describing my problems, but I decided to pretend I knew nothing about the technical service bulletins. I recommend you subscribe to Alldata DIY at www.alldata.com. Costs only about $14-15 and you get all the TSBs for your car, as well Chilton manual-like illustrations, gen'l instructions, etc. You could print out the TSBs if you find you need to take that to the dealer. FYI - my 2001 LS, built 10/2000 had warped rotors(!) as well as probably the engine cradle thing, so that may have complicated the diagnosis. Replacing the ISS didn't last and lubing-and-tightening didn't work. Be persistent, polite/prof'l etc., but go right up the line if you need to. Don't forget the free rental car, they often need to keep it overnight. Good luck! CCD
  • Options
    Curious to know how long most folks are going on their original brake pads. Obviously city vs. highway mileage would make a difference, but I've gone just over 44k on the original set on my 2000 model, with no signs of any problems (other than the premature warping of a front rotor or two very early on).
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Had my '01 LS in for a thorough check today since it's just about to the end of factory warranty. Main items:

Rotten egg smell from exhaust - They ordered me a new catalytic converter under warranty. The service advisor said they're not seeing many of these fail on the "civilian" Impalas, but quite a few on the police version.

Coolant smell from engine - No coolant leak found on inspection, but they did find a small oil leak on the "rear rocker cover" gasket. Replaced under warranty.

Steering "clunk" has returned (ISS lube kit was done about 20,000km ago) - They found a couple of bolts that were a bit loose and tightened them under warranty. I think this might have been the problem since the clunk this time felt different that the previous clunk. They said to keep an eye on it and let them know if the problem persists.

Otherwise the car is perfect. Although I would prefer not to have any of the above mentioned problems, I consider them to only be minor annoyances. Overall I still love this car and enjoy every kilometer I drive - therefore I get more enjoyment than our U.S. neighbours who only get to enjoy every mile ;-)
    Brad
  • Options
    jhavignjhavign Member Posts: 20
    I made an appointment to bring my car in on Nov 13th. for the clunking in the front. I had the steering shaft replaced in october 2001. I checked on the GM site and did not find any recall. Is the adhesive thing a campaign or do I ask for something special? I want to make sure its fixed as my warranty runs out next month. Thanks in Advance.
  • Options
    chibearbobchibearbob Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the break in period for the Impala is. I just ordered one and am planning a long trip. I want to know how many miles I have to drive at different speeds until I can drive about 700 miles with cruise control on. Thanks.
  • Options
    this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    500 miles.
  • Options
    There is a TSB on lubrication of the ISS. I don't know about an adhesive, though. The TSB is on the News and TSBs page.

http://www.impalahq.com

• Options
    There is no recall on the steering thing, however there are various Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs). The initial one called for replacing the ISS/Intermediate Steering Shaft, then an updated one calling for only a "lube job" for the ISS. TSBs are also out for warped rotors, which I definitely had (no fault of MINE for sure) which contributes to the strange and unsettling feel. They surprised me with the adhesive thing for the engine cradle, but I can only assume that they found it cracked and/or loose. Don't have the details, but I recall (no pun) that 2000 and early 2001 Impalas had something wrong with the engine cradle that added to the creaking and cracking. You may want to check alldata.com/diy or the sites the others mention for details on that and/or ask the service advisor. Re your warranty, as long as you make the complaint b4 it runs out, you have another 12 mos/12K miles to bring it back for same trbl. Good luck - my car is perfect now (except for the rattle behind the damn radio!!) and I hope yours will be too. It's a GREAT car, especially for the money. CCD
  • Options
    FYI - the service advisor at Bob Peck in Arlington VA said that while they were studying my car, the regional service director/product manager - or something - was visiting. Supposedly he said a TSB will be issued soon re the adhesive and/or direction/permission to replace the entire rack-and-pinion if necessary. I just hope they get this all right, because far too many people of my generation are permanently turned off by American cars - they remember the Vegas, Monzas, X-cars, Pintos, etc. I often remind them of the problems they've had with their own Hondas and Toyotas - they always want to forget because they think they're "safe" buying Japanese or German.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes for AllData to put the current TSB's online?
  • Options
    It seemed to take almost a year for Alldata to have the 2001 TSBs available. Hopefully it won't be as long with the 2003s. You could submit a question on their website and they'll let you know...they were quick/responsive/helpful when I asked about the 2001s a while back.
  • Options
    grvdiggazgrvdiggaz Member Posts: 12
    I was driving in the freeway and hit the Speed Limiter and now my CEL is on what is the first thing I should do?

I was thinking about picking up one of the Code Readers.
  • Options
    regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    That the passenger side windows take FOREVER to defrost/clear up? I spoke to an old mechanic at my dealership and he told me that "it is normal"

I honestly believe that there is an issue and that it is just not safe. I will be going in on Thursday so they can try to fix the problem.

I will put the defrost on high and there is little air coming from the passenger side defrost duct. Hmmm, normal I don't think so.

(Forgive the double post, I originally posting this in the Sedan board but and then I noticed that I should of posted it in here) ;)
  • Options
    Do you mean CAL? Where are you seeing this?
  • Options
    Check Engine Light?
  • Options
    Yeah the Check engine light what should i do?
  • Options
    Check your gas cap.
  • Options
    jhavignjhavign Member Posts: 20
    I got my car back 2 days ago. The service manager said I already had the new Intermediate Steering shaft. They disassembled it and repacked it with grease. It does feel better on the turns now. I wonder if this has to be a regular maintenance thing. My car will be out of warranty next month, so if this does come back, I will have a case as I just had it serviced this month. Again, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Took my 2001 Base Impala back to the Selling dealer regarding the Steering Wheel "Rocking" noise (Actual Steering wheel makes a "POP" if you put your hands at 11 o'clock and 5 o' clock and push or pull on the wheel,even during normal driving) that I aquired following "them" Lubing the ISS at 3500 miles,due to a "clunk" when I would turn Left, the Lube fixed that prob but I have been living with this Steering Wheel noise and looseness since November of 2001, I took it to a closer dealer then and they took the steering wheel apart and said they tried everything they knew of,they got in 3 other Impala's and pushed/pulled on the steering wheel and came to me and said it was normal and they have to move a bit. I understand the "Rubbery" feeling when you push/pull or rock a steering wheel, but my car goes beyond the rubbery feeling until it makes a "popping" sound, My wife has driven around for a year like this, finally this week I called the Selling Dealer and took it in today. They ordered a "RACK" for it?? They said they were checking some Gear in the steering that may be loose or sliping or whatever? And My salesman now works in the Service Dept and told me that they are replacing it regardless of what they found out today. I left with a Rack on order and the service guy still is baffled, so this may be a shot in the dark?? Oh yea, they turned my rotors due to a warping, that other dealer rotated the tires before a trip last spring (First time rims were removed from factory) and on the way back I developed a pulsation while braking, I got home and checked the Torque on the lugnuts and a few were around 100lbs a few around 70-80lbs, you know, they blame it on you when your rotors warp due to faulty torque setting when they screw things up just as bad. By the way I have 11,500 miles on the car.,. I like it, plan to keep it a long time...seems to be 50% better than the 2000 LS I traded for my New F150 last spring that I love too....I just hope they fix my Steering Wheel....without 10 trips back to them.. I have been avoiding Chevrolet Dealers like the plaque since they screwed up the tire rotation (And 5-other major things on my 2000 LS), I'll do it myself from now on.... Don
  • Options
    can some one please Tell me where the plug to test what Codes the computer is throwing I have a odbII code reader from Harbor Freight (the one linked from Impalahq.com) also my car is a 2000 3.4 Base model thanks for the help
  • Options
    albuterolalbuterol Member Posts: 21
    White smoke = coolant
    Blue smoke = oil
    Black smoke = gas
  • Options
    The "blue" smoke is a misnomer. It's not actually blue. It's still mostly white, with maybe a slightly bluish tint.
This discussion has been closed.