Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    colnelj1colnelj1 Member Posts: 6
    Any one experience brake rattle? Low speeds over rough roads - goes away when applying brake.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Brake pedal rattle? Steering column clunk? Could you be more specific?

It sounds like symptoms of the Intermediate Steering Shaft problem...
  • Options
    Don't think steering noise would go away with brake pressure. This is a noise similar to tire noise on bumps but at a higher pitch. Had a car years ago with this problem and had to add clips/shims/adhesive to the pads. Just wondering if others have this problem and what action or inaction the dealer took. Mine is a 2001 LS with 7800 miles. At highway speeds don't hear a thing. Town speeds over slight bumps definitely hear it until I put press the brakes. Not a big problem however I don't like any problems with my cars! Wife hasn't noticed it and most drivers probably wouldn't notice it - just call me a little anal.
  • Options
    What build date is your 2001 Impala? I have a 2001 Impala LS (Build date 4/01) with 6K miles and Zero problems. Before this one, I had a 2000 Impala LS (Build date 1/00) and it had the dreaded Steering Shaft problem and the engine cradle issues.

Your problem is the first time I heard about as far as the 2001 Impala is concerned. Have you had the dealer go over it?

Have you noticed if your braking performance has diminished?

Also remember that the Impala LS has a stiffer tuned suspension called "Ride and handling" so you tend to feel and hear more of the suspension in comparison to a softer tuned car, like the Impala base sedan.

Anyhow, have the dealer check your front end with a fine tooth comb to make sure that nothing has gone or will go south down there. Please keep us posted and welcome to the club of Impala owners :)
  • Options
    craigindccraigindc Member Posts: 21
    I have seen the postings re problems with steering columns/brakes/engine mounts/cradles on the 2000 models, but I think I may have similar problem on my 2001 LS w/the 3.8L engine. It was made in Oct 2000, in-service since Dec, only 13,000 miles on it now. Rather than *hearing* the "bang" and/or "pop," I FEEL it in the steering wheel...as if something gently banging against the steering column. Especially evident when turning and accelerating or braking at same time. I think I also hear a clicking. I have an email into cac@chevrolet.com and have made an appt with the dealer, but would appreciate input/advice first. It seems to be getting more pronounced. I love this car and want to make it right. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    In addition to my "loose front end," I also have three other concerns I thought I'd title and post separately. My 2001 LS's transmission makes a rather loud CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK noise as I pull into my garage after slowly climbing my sloped driveway...then the engine will race...not uncontrollably...but it is disconcerting. Only does it if I creep into the garage slowly. Cause for concern? Thanks for any input. Will have dealer look into this as well.
  • Options
    I turned off the engine the other day, and every single light - inside, outside, warning lamps-, blinked on and off - and not in unison - for about 5-10 seconds. The warning chimes sounded too. This only happened once, but my wife was with me and now she's afraid to drive it. Any advice would be welcome... I mentioned to Service Dept when I made appt and was told, "...oh, that one will be hard to track down..." I love this car and want to prove all my family & friends wrong...everyone said I never should have bought an American car! Thanks, Chevy Man in DC
  • Options
    Anyone had this happen? I'd been using the Personal Calling feature of OnStar on my 2001 Impala LS for a few months. Everything worked great, til one day in April, I called to have it"refilled" with new units/minutes and have been waiting ever since. Several phone calls and emails to customer care have been unsuccessful. I'd been told in May and June it was a glitch with the software OnStar uses to download info to the vehicle...technicians working feverishly...execs at highest level aware, and that it'd be fixed shortly. Rec'd an email last month (after more prompting by me) saying it was a hardware problem, but not to worry, there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. Please advise if any of you has any info/tips. I asked the dealer's Service Dept and they said they weren't aware. I'll ask them to investigate when they check out my loose front end. Thanks!
  • Options
    Does anyone (nightowl..wink wink) have the contents of the following TSB's?

00-07-30-014 Delayed Shifting
    01-08-50-008 Power Seat Track

I dropped my car off this morning for both those things, and I want to be able to ask them if they tried so and so, IF they tell me they couldn't find anything.
  • Options
    CraiginDC: I have no doubt in my mind that your steering column clunk is caused by the Intermediate Steering Shaft assembly. You need to get it replaced, there is no way around it. It will get worse with time, so get it done while under warranty. The ISS problem has affected mainly 2000 model year Impalas, but since yours was built during 10/2000, it might still be using the defective ISS batch of parts. Not a big deal if taken care of promptly.

Your transmission problem is unusual, so you need to get it checked by the dealer. The Transmission's valve body could be suspect, but they need to run a full diagnostic before arriving to a more definite conclusion.

Your electrical Gremlin is weird, never heard of it on any Impala. Have it checked, sounds like a computer fluke, which I hope it is.

I have OnStar but here in FL we don't have the personal calling service yet, so I can't comment on it.

Do you have a Lemon? Maybe, but give the dealer a chance to take care of your issues.

I have a 2001 Impala LS with a build date of 4/2001. 6K miles and zero problems.

Don't let your friends and family put you down for your choice. Cars are complicated pieces of engineering, built by humans and prone to failure. Even the vaunted Honda Accord has a ton of annoying problems with transmission, fuel sending units, interior rattles and so on. Go and take a look at the maintenance and repair forum and soon you'll discover that your problems are not that bad and that all cars do have their issues from time to time.

I used to drive Hondas and Acuras for 12 straight years, and the Impala if not equal is better relibility wise than any of my past 6 Accords and 2 Acuras. The Impalas is a great car, give it a chance before you sound off the fire alarm bell.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice and info...good for me to have just in case. So far my plan is just to describe the symptoms and see what the dealer does to fix. And...you're right about Hondas, etc. No fire alarms here...not yet, anyway! ;+> Hopefully I'll have a success story to share very soon.
  • Options
    bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    I had the drivers "leather seat cover replaced" today- they sent it out to a specialty place to instal it and got it back same day. I did get a rental for the day- comp- decided to take it in case the promise of 1 day didn't pan out. It appears after my past issue and complaints I am recognized on sight and am being treated to quick and competent service. The rental company Enterprise has been great also-
    they have tried to put me into smaller cars but as soon as I get in and tell them about the former smoker smells in the car I get switched to a larger vehicle. This has been a big improvement over the last experience so I'll hold off my judgment. Why should we have to fight for good service? I'll never understand it. The leather seat had a
    small tear behind the cover that fits over the side panel of the drivers seat. I can't really say that the tare came first or that the loose cover/panel thing is what made the leather get caught on clothing or something -it was too far back to be from normal jackets or jean studs to catch on it. Replaced under warranty so I'll not gripe about it for now. Happy motoring!
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Unfortunately, I don't have copies of the TSBs. I might subscribe to AllData one of these days...
  • Options
    The last time I checked at AllData, they didn't have an option to subcribe for a 2001 Impala. Thye probably don't have any of the repair and service manuals ready for it, and as such don't offer a subription for only the TSB's.
    That's my guess.
  • Options
    I just wrote to Alldata the other day. You can see the summaries, but no detail. Even if you subscribe, they do not yet have any of their 2000 or 2001 detailed TSB databases completed yet. They wrote right back and confirmed and basically said, "Stay tuned." NHTSA looks like they have a little more info, but to get any real details (and I'm sure they don't have the photos/illustratitons, etc.) you have to PAY them for research on each item.
  • Options
    Personally, I think the full contents of TSB's should be public knowledge. That's just me talkin'.
  • Options
    Garypen, why Honda/Acura stopped providing TSB and recall information to Alldata?
  • Options
    Did they? Maybe they were embarrassed by having too many for such a supposedly trouble-free car company.
    I gotta say, though, not one single problem in our CL.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The Edmund's Maintenance Guide lists the known TSBs and recalls for the 2001 Impala. I don't know if it is as detailed info that you're seeking, but it is free. Link to the Maintenance Guide is in the sidebar.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    In the CL forum I had read about lots of complaints with the paint quality of new US built Acuras...easily peeled bumpers, chipped hoods, etc.

To me after owning Honda products from 1989 to 2000, I think that the new products are no match to the Hondas built in the late 1980's and early 1990's. My sister's '99 Honda Accord LX has had chronic front brake problems. It went back to the dealer yesterday for the 5th time in less than 3 months. Her 1996 Accord never exhibited these problems and none of my '89, '90 and '94 Accords did either. My '95 Integra had great brakes but I did have problems with the brakes on my 97 2.5TL.
  • Options
    I've seen that about the paint on the CL. I personally haven't had any problems with it.
    Like I said, zero problems on mine. No wobbly seat. No late shifts. No uneven idle. No hesitation. No intermittant auto door locks. No poor radio reception. No extremely slow-acting rear defroster. I can't say that about my Impala, whom I affectionately named "my car" or "that silver Impala over there".
    Between the Impala and the CL, it's the CL that has been "like a rock". Ironic, isn't it?
    The Impala is still a great car. Quite solid. Good looking. Pretty comfortable. I've just had more problems with it than my CL. (I suppose "one" problem would have been more than the CL)
    BTW, could you email me? I'd like to ask you a question about your experience with your 2000 LS. Thanks.
  • Options
    I've seen the Edmunds TSB list. It's basically no more detailed than AllData TSB list. Why can't there be a place that has the actual TSB's, not just the titles?
    I know AllData has the full guys for a fee, but they don't have 'em for the 00-02 Impala.
    Also, I don't think there should be a fee at all. I think they should be made public for free. It should be the right of car owners to see what defects and fixes the manufacturers have been discovering about their cars.
  • Options
    Gary, I don't have your E-mail.
  • Options
    I found yours, and sent you my question.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Check your inbox..
  • Options
    hank64hank64 Member Posts: 37
    I am having trouble accessing the Edmund's Maintenance Guide. After hitting the sidebar link, choosing items from the drop down menus and hitting "Go", I am returned to this Repair and Service Forum. This happens whether I am logged in or not. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    That is a very good question and I wish I had a definitive answer. I'm asking around the upper levels here to see if anyone can shed some insight.

There is a discussion in M&R, Technical Service Bulletins that may be of interest to you. 0patience has previously posted detailed TSBs.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    It may have to do with whether your browser is enabled for javascript. Try this direct link.

Edmunds.com Maintenance Guide

This way will spawn a new browser window.

Let me know if you still have any difficulty.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    hank64hank64 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks - that direct link worked. I think the browser does recognize JavaScript, but the problem might be something else related to WebTV.
  • Options
    Brake rattle fixed - Service Bulletin 00-05-22-002 includes the following:

Brake noise is caused by a "slip stick" vibration of brake components. If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. Use Permatex Disc Brake #126hb, or equivalent. Also, clean and lubricate all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads, pad guides, caliper and knuckles with a thin layer of high temperature silicon grease. This allow parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.

Garage just applied the dampening compound. The can indicated that a variance of just .0005 can cause vibration noise. The dampening compound was sprayed on the backs of the brake pads, allowed to set up for 10 minutes, and then pads reinstalled. So far so good!
  • Options
    Colnelj1: Glad to hear that your brake rattle was properly fixed. Also we appreciate your sharing the TSB information with us for future reference.

What's the build date of your car?
  • Options
    Build date is Dec 2000.
  • Options
    dennisw3dennisw3 Member Posts: 17
    Ok, does anyone else really HATE the fact that as soon as you take your key out of the ignition switch the damn interior lights come on?
    I've accepted the DRL's, despite the fact that I dont totally agree with the premise of them making the car safer, and I actually have really gotten to like the automatic headlights, but I really do NOT want the interior lights blinding me the moment i turn off the key and take it out of the ignition.
    Anyone ever tried to disable this or asked the dealer about turning this one "feature" off????
  • Options
    I love that feature. It is a safety feature by the way. I don't think it can be disabled.
  • Options
    I like it! I like the auto headlights and DRL's as well.
    Of course, it can put the kabosh on those driveway make-out sessions while her daddy is peering out through the curtains. Try leaving the key in the ignition. ;-)
    But seriously, it's far from blinding. You must be forgetting to remove the night vision goggles before removing the key.
  • Options
    well, i'm a bit too old for driveway make-out sessions, sorry
  • Options
    I saw a comment someone else had made about the rear defogger being rather mediocre, and i have to agree. it takes forever to just de-fog the rear window, very disappointing for a window with so many wires running thru it.
    I have checked the connections and they all appear to be tight, are there and TSB's or known fixes for this?
  • Options
    You're never too old.
  • Options
    macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    I've been driving my 2000 base Impala for almost 5000km/3000mi now and I'm wondering - is the oil life monitor standard equipment? Has anybody had any problems with the monitor not telling you that the oil needs to be changed. I know how it works (counts the number of engine revolutions) and how to reset the monitor, and I purchased it from a dealer so I'm pretty sure the oil life monitor was reset at the last change. But just curious.
  • Options
    After 6K miles, the Oil change warning has never come up since I bought the car. I have a 2001 LS which I bought back in April '01. In 6K miles the car has already have two oil changes. The first time I did not reset the indicator as I was curious to see when it would come up. By the time the second oil change was due, it hadn't come up at all, so I decided to reset it. It appears to be that the computer triggers the light well beyond 6,500 mile intervals which is excessive on a car that uses Dino oil such as mine. Perhaps if you use synthetic oil, the indicator is more useful as the oil change intervals using synthetics are less frequent and far in between.
  • Options
    macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    Wow, 6000 miles is a lot. I think I'll stick to the standard 3000 mile intervals for oil changes. Thanks for the info, Teo!
  • Options
    Yep, I am from the old school as I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles. Cheap insurance I might add.
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I, too have never seen the Oil Life monitor activated. If it did come on, I think a change would be LONG overdue at that point!

cheap insurance is right!

RR
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I have a description of how the oil life monitor works on the News & TSBs page. 3000 miles is really early to change the oil (in normal driving conditions), but as stated before, it wouldn't hurt your engine to change the oil frequently.
  • Options
    To play it safe, I just change the oil at every fillup. Can't be too safe.
  • Options
    Ah Gary, did you attend Racing Pit School training?
  • Options
    Yeah. I change all the rubber too.
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    The oil life monitor comes on between 6500-7500 miles, I drive about 650 miles a week. I always bring my Impala to a GM dealership to have the oil changed, and have asked them repeatedly if I am going to far between changes. The answer has been the same every time, the oil color and viscosity hasn't been what they would term dangerous.
  • Options
    i would seriously question the dealer's ability to analyze engine oil, too many of them are at the ends of their technical ability to just change the stuff. Personal opinion is that 6000 miles is excessive for petroleum based oils
This discussion has been closed.