Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Suspension Problems

Comments

• maxmommaxmom Posts: 62
    This must have been my mission. :)
  • I'm new to this -- but I just read your message about the "clunking". When we were doing research to buy a Pacifica and test drove many - we discovered online that the 2004 have a flaw that causes a clunking in the front end. When we asked (all) the dealers we visited they all said it was in the 2004 year and was corrected in the 2005. It apparently cannot be fixed but they assure it is not a safety concern. Just to make sure we are speaking of the same clunking - it sounds like the axle is loose and the wheel is about to fall off. Hope this helps.
  • Yep, that was the sound, but now it's gone. Maybe it was a fluke and mine happened to have a simple solution. I just know that it clunked forever and now it doesn't. Also understand that it is not because my service department is full of super sleuths or magicians. They have had mine in the shop numerous times for the pinging/chattering in the engine and it's still not fixed.

My husband says they are not mechanics, but rather part exchangers. They find the general problem area and just start changing out parts until something works.I think they just got lucky with the clunk. Sort of like winning the lottery.
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Ha Ha Ha atlantac, your description of the noise is really funny ! Actually it's not that bad. Mine is a 2005 (manufactured in January 2005).

Me too I suspect it cannot be fixed, but how they know it's not dangerous ? So they know what the problem is, but don't want to say ?

I really wouldn't care about the clunking, if I would know what the "safe" clunking cause is. So what is the flaw ???

####################################

captneumo, replacing an engine is not big deal. About 20 years ago I did it once in my backyard with the help of 2 friends. Muscles are needed, not brain. Chrysler has good muscles ... the brain is the problem. I think your Pacifica will be as good as new. You worry too much because obviously you had bad luck. Relax.
  • jdsajdsa Posts: 1
    I have an 04 AWD with 19,000 miles. Started clunking at 17,000 mi. when backing out of garage, shifting from R to D and turning wheels. Told dealer I thought it was CV joints or something. He replaced the AWD transfer case, then also discovered two broken/loose rt front wheel studs ( i have never hit any curb). After all the repairs under warranty no clunking at all for last 3 mo.

Have had car 2 yr. and this was first time to dealer with anything so pretty happer with them and the car.
  • at 46,000 miles my '04 FWD Pacifica developed a clunk. The clunk can be created on demand by driving at 35mph and lightly decrease then increase speed. I tried wiggling the half-shafts to see if the cv-joints were tight. They appeared tight.

Any clues to what it could be?
  • axr6axr6 Posts: 42
    Today my clunk was finally fixed. This time I told them that it was a drive-axle slop that would clunk when going between D and R, as well as when going ON and OFF the gas pedal.

Prepared to be just blown off again, I was surprises when he said: "You're right, it is the front halfshaft. It has a sideways slop in it and we now have a service bulletin for it."

So, he ordered the parts, which are basically shims to eliminate the sideways slop in the drive shafts. I picked it up today and, for the first time in a long time my Pac is totally clunk free. Here is the info off my work order:

1 4809863AC Gasket-Front Halfshaft/HU
    10/866/EGCJ/150556

Drives like on butter now...

Albert
  • I have no idea what the spline bolts are but once the dealer tightened them the Pacifica was as good as new. Mine is out of warranty so they charged $100 to fix it.

This is for a '04 FWD version with 47k miles
  • Albert,
    I also have a 2004 Pacifica and have been having an issue with "suspension" noise over the last year or so ... it doesn't seem to be associated with shifting or the gas but it does come and go, so it could be the same issue you had. I will use the info and see if it solves my issue. Thanks
    Jgillikin
  • Hello all,
    I recently purchased an 05 PAC Touring, built in 04, from a wholesaler, it had 72,000+ miles and rides like a dream. Wife loves the thing but I'm now hearing clunking and sweaking from the suspension/tranny area. I jacked the front end off the ground and put it on jack stands, started the engine and shifted it back and forth from drive to reverse, it looked and sounded like the entire drive train was trying to jump out of the car!!! I mean the engine, tranny and all jumps big time each time I shifted. Scared me and I didn't have a clue where to start. I thought it had been in an accident that carfax hadn't reported until I read through the forums today, and saw that these issues seem to be inherant to these cars. I did a TSB check and found 43 TSB's covering just about every thing you all talked about. Plus, we just returned from a 400 mile trip and also found out that the passenger floorboard gets soaking wet after about an hour on the road, I suspect a AC drain pan leak or clog in the drain line. This is also reported in a TSB. I was wondering why I saw so many PAC's on the used car market, guess folks are tired of the noises. Anyway, I'll probably see my local dealer, complain and fuss but with no warranty, it'll be my dime. My wife loves the thing, doesn't care about the noises but when the tranny falls out or half shaft dumps, she'll care. I pray it doesn't leave us on the roadside in the middle of no where. Thanks for keeping up the info and please keep busting on Chrysler, maybe there will be enough noise for them to make things right.
    For me, what seemed likea good wholesale deal wil probably cost big time for the time I own the thing.
    Thanks and God Bless.
  • ask the dealer about the spline bolts. It may just need some bolts retorqued.
  • Hello, so I'll try and explain the noise as best I can thru text, easier if you could hear. Anyways, I slid on some ice about 2 weeks ago and hit a curb going around 10-15mph; well it was hard enough to break the wheel. I got a new wheel, had it mounted and balanced. Well I started to notice a vibration that I could feel in the steering wheel at freeway speeds. The vibration is not consistent; it speeds up and slows down with the speed kind of a wrrr____wrrr_____wrrrr____wrrr etc. (_____ is quite sound. thinking, hoping, that it was the alignment I went in today to have it checked and they said I had a loose ball joint. I'm a do it yourselfer, especially after replacing a wheel and am planning on replacing/repairing the ball joint. Just need some guidance. Have done my fair share of front end work except for tie-rods and ball joints. Anyone know much about them? I can't seem to locate them online, are they a dealer only item? Also say something about bushings. Is this something that can be replaced? I'm open to any ideas or suggestions. Working on 04 fwd Pac Please help. Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,842
    sounds like a busted motor mount to me. Another way to check is to pop the hood and rev the engine. If a motor mount is busted, you'll typically see one side of the engine kinda heave up.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

i haven't worked on the Pac, but typically control arm bushings can be replaced. Its a matter of pressing them in that can be troublesome, however. You may have to remove the arm and take it to a shop to have the new bushings pressed in.

The other possibility is to see how much it would cost to get a whole new control arm with a new ball joint and bushings preinstalled.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• Hi,

I need some help with 2005 Chryslet Pacifica awd power transfer unit fluid change. Can anyone tell me what capacity is the awd power transfer unit and the awd rear carrier. And also where are they located?

Do I need any special tools to change these fluids?

Thanks in advance.
  • Chrysler says the neither the bushings nor the ball joint are replaceable and the entire lower control arm with ball joint must be replaced. Chrysler charges about $750 to do the job, the parts are abour $600. If you try doing it yourself email me cause I want to replace mine - the bushings squeak terribly and one ball joint is a bit loose.

I have also had 4 bad transfer cases in 100k miles!!!

Pat (mail2phd@gmail.com)
    Oh, I'll never do it on this vehicle. Ours is going bye-bye before the warranty is up.

Man, $600 is pretty outrageous for a control arm. Before I sold my volvo, I was considering replacing the control arms with an aftermarket setup with firmer bushings (delrin? i think?) at about $300 total for both left and right wheels.

• rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Were any of you able to get rid of the low speed clunking when driving over closely spaced bumps/potholes ?

Please answer ONLY if you had the clunking since your 2005/2006 Pacifica was BRAND NEW. I am not talking about noises who appeared as a result of normal wear.

Thanks
  • I've had similar experiences with my Suburban; changed the shocks all the way around and the thumps, clunking went away. The sound was from the shock bottoming out against the mounts. Could be they used a shock that was too weak for the weight of the Pac. I’ve noticed that my Pac will do it periodically.