Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Electrical / Lighting Problems

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Buy the window regulator off of E-Bay. Common issue which is why you see so many of them on sale.
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    Actually I got a tip that fixed it. The tip was to sit in the seat next to the affected door and while holding the switch in the down position, slam the door a few times. Sure enough, after the second slam the window began working again and has worked since. I wonder how many motors/regulators have been replaced when they could have been revived with this method.
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    This will work for a while. The problem seems to be that the motor gets into a position where it cannot turn the window. Slamming the door (or for me it was smacking the inside of the door while holding switch in up position, which you can do while driving) is a temporary fix. Once it gets there, leave it there. When the motor gets into that same position, it will happen again. Over time, it will take more smacking. An electric motor scientist can likely expand on this. I had the driver's and the rear passenger's windows go bad within one month. I got the motor from gmpartsdirect.com and got my mechanic to install it. Beat the dealer by $150 using own part and the mechanic. My mechanic had had a lot of problems with the cheap window motors off ebay. If you compare the two motors, you'll see how cheap the chinese ones are. Plastics used instead of metal, and the parts just break too easy.
  • tdrawbridgetdrawbridge Member Posts: 5
    I am not a car genius at all. But my car has been acting funny. I have a 2000 Olds Intrigue and I just paid to have the blinkers fixed. I got it back, but it still isn't working. My blinkers will work, then the next second it won't work at all. I have had the lamps and connections checked, but for some reason they still aren't working. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be???
    By "don't work" do you mean no response from both front and rear? It sounds like there may be an intermittent short somewhere. Do any signals work? Do the daytime running lights work in the front? I have had issues with wire chafing in the front signals wires. The insulation was falling off the three wires coming from the high beam section into the signal area and the socket. The bare wires would touch and short the connection, causing the interior lights to go out when the signals blicked on.
  • janailjanail Member Posts: 5
    I have had the same problem for years. Something has to do with your hazardous lights. I have learned that if the turn signals stop working just slightly press the hazardous light button, while the turn signal is in any position, and it should reactivate the turn signals. For years I thought it was the fuses but I was wrong. I tried that one time and it has worked ever since. It is not a permanent fix but it still does a cheaper job. At times you might hear a buzzing sound but not to worry. Try it and let me know.
    Thanks for your response 01intrigue. The blinkers work, inside and out, sometimes. The interior lights work fine, the daytime lights work, the night lights and high beams work. But sometimes the blinkers just dont work. When they don't flash on the inside, they are not flashing on the outside either. It is at completely random times when it doesn't work. I have no idea when it will work and when it won't. The connections have been checked, none are loose. The lamps are fine. I just dont know what to do!
    Thanks janail for your reply. I will definitely give it a try next time it happens to me. Unfortunately it's not something I can just go do, for some reason the blinkers will randomly work, then stop. And frankly driving without blinkers is kind of dangerous, especially when I'm driving the kids.

Thanks!
    Yes, the issue is the cruise control/hazard switch. It is replaceable. I had to have mine replaced, and my brother also did his. We each had same symptoms as yours and it drove us crazy. Sometimes just turning on the flashers would get the signals working. But it really is a bad switch. At gmpartsdirect.com, select the parts catalog, and your year and intrigue, and then, in order, Electrical, Chassis electrical, Switches, Hazard switch. Switch should cost $42.28, almost 40% off dealer list price. Part number is 10401280, shipping will be around $11.00

My brother's family has two Intrigues (01GLS and 99GLS) and we have two as well (01GLS, 01GX). We tall folks appreciate the extensive front legroom and the peppy 3.5L shortstar engine.
  • 2000intrigue2000intrigue Member Posts: 1
    I had the Driver Window Regulator fixed for the 1st time in Aug. 07, ($360.) and after several trips back to the mechanic for the same window (5 times) they finally got it right about 6 wks ago June 08 (I'm keeping my fingers crossed!) BUT!! Now I have NEW PROBLEMS!!! Passenger Front Window Regulator went out June 28th went to different mechanic had it fixed ($280.) ONE Week Later July 5th Passenger Rear Window Regulator and NOW!! 3-Days Later this morning July 8th My 4th window Regulator The Rear Passenger Window on the driver side is out Hello!!! THIS IS NO JOKE!!! I also have the problems with shortage in blinkers and had ignition switch replaced a few months ago and My ABS Module went out to replace it New will be $1100.+ or $700. used. I used to Love my Intrigue, Now Its a Love Hate Relationship. Its Time to Buy a New Car, it wont be an Olds, I'm going back Chevy!!
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Its Time to Buy a New Car, it wont be an Olds, I'm going back Chevy!!

Sorry but do you think chevy will make a difference.
    Same idiot management
    same moronic cost cutting accountants
    same stupid designers
    same idiot engineers
    same ignorant service mangers
    same rude customer service
    same incompetent mechanics
    same crappy parts
    same blinker plug assemblies
    same hazard switches
    same wheel bearings
    same blower resistors
    same window regulators
    and same abs modules.
    etc. etc. etc.

Did I also mentioned they're the same.

Cheat me once shame on you, cheat me twice shame on me.
  • rose42maryrose42mary Member Posts: 1
    you should of bought a Saturn ;) Get a book on it and take it to work, theres a very smart lady there, maybe she can figure something out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • pioneerhogpioneerhog Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98 Intrigue that the interior lights are staying on. I have done a temp fix by pulling the fuse for the lights since it is raining like crazy and I don't have anywhere to look at it in the dry. I am assuming it is some type of sensor or switch on the door that is not working correctly. Can anyone help me out?
  • neoanderthalneoanderthal Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    My girlfriend recently inherited a 2002 Intrigue. It's a terrific car, but as of late it's begun to exhibit some odd symptoms. When trying to start the car, there's a brief click, and then nothing. The headlights and everything else work ok at this point. I've checked the cables to make sure they're secure, and tried switching out the starter relay, just to make sure that's not the problem. Now for the odd part: her stepfather (who had the car previously) told her that it occasionally had this problem, and that it could be addressed by moving the gear selector through the entire range (park all the way down, and back up again) several times, with a fair amount of force. This seems to do the trick, though sometimes it takes several tries to get it to work.
    The last time she had the car serviced, it had thrown no error codes (other than for a misfiring cylinder that was then addressed). Anyone have any ideas? It seems to me to be a problem with whatever the modern equivalent of the neutral safety switch is, though I wouldn't even begin to know how to troubleshoot it on something as complex as an OBD II vehicle.

Thanks!

gaz
  • neoanderthalneoanderthal Member Posts: 2
    Two key points to your post that help diagnose this problem: hard starting and no error codes. I would start with the ignition switch. A bad ignition switch causes some very strange behavoir in these cars. I had issues with my ignition switch a few months ago and was able to change it myself. I posted directions on how to chagne it: http://www.carspace.com/guides/Cleaning-the-Ignition-Switch-on-a-2000-Intrigue

There are many places that sell ignition switches for these cars. It will cost you about $100 for the part. I went with Standard.
  • closs2sxcloss2sx Member Posts: 1
    battery is good alt is brand new dash lights and all guages are going hay wire. does anyone know the pin # in the pcm that goes to the alt.I think at this point its the pcm but would like to ohm out the wire between the pcm and the alt. any other suggestions to check would be greatly appreciated.
    Pull out the front daytime running lights,turn signals. Check for wire chafing. The wire insulation on one of mine fell off and the wires were shorting, causing most of your symptoms. They are always on, so would always be shorting out. It was amazing how the wires were exposed. They come over from the headlights and moisture and the elements can cause the wire insulation to disintegrate. I used liquid tape (from Home Depot) but in retrospect, I should have removed the wires and used straws as conduits, or spliced in new wires.
  • dragline23dragline23 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what i need to do to replace the alternator
    does it take a lot it looks like
    i have done them before
    on the olds it looks like i need to take the cooling system hose off and take out the plastic peice that holds the cooling fans in place

any ideas

thank you :mad:
  • intrique124intrique124 Member Posts: 1
    The title says it all. '98 GL, 3.8 liter engine. With the dash cruise control light on, when I push the steering wheel cruise control button sometimes everything is normal; other times nothing happens. The instument panel "Cruise" light does not come on and the Cruise Control system does not hold the attempted engagement speed. The malfunction is completely random; I can't see any pattern. It seems to work OK about half the time. Any suggestions, anyone?
  • edm1217edm1217 Member Posts: 2
    Ref Message #17,I'm new to edmunds CARSpace. How do I find Messages 10967 and 10968 on the main Intrigue forum, which explain the process for replacing the console light on a 1999 Olds Intrigue?

Thanks!
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Go to top of this page and click Oldsmobile intrigue from the You are in the Oldsmobile Intrigue Forum. or at the bottom from You are here
    That takes you to all the intrigue discussions.

Scroll down to the discussion with a lot of posts, the one called Oldsmobile intrigue and click on it.
    Once in that thread, there is a box near the top and at the bottom of each message page that says go to mgs #.

Enter the number listed 10967 or 10968, click go and ta da!!

cheers

You can click here but you won't learn anything about the forum.
  • edm1217edm1217 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the directions. They were right on. Now hope I can follow directions provided by messages 10967 and 10968.

Thanks again! :)
  • pioneerhogpioneerhog Member Posts: 4
  • rosscmrosscm Member Posts: 13
    Did you turn the dial to the left of the steering wheel down. This may be obvious but if its all the way up the lights will stay on. Check all the fuses to see that they are still good and not missing. I had a fuse simply missing. Try disconnecting the battery overnight. This wiil force the car to re-boot its computer when you connect in the morning. Seriously.

As I'm typing I am remembrering the same problem and I did the battery thing. It worked but it was a while ago.

Good luck
  • nick_oddrodnick_oddrod Member Posts: 1
    Please help me. My girlfriend has a 2001 Intrigue and neither of her headlights work... ever. This problem started about a month ago and the right one went, then the left. I have tried replacing the bulbs and still no good. She also has the fast flash problem with her blinkers and only the rear ones work. I have a meter and want to shoot some wires, as I have checked every fuse I could find, but cant find a good schematic. Does anyone have any ides?
    Is there any aftermarket equipment on the car like a remote start, light bulbs, etc. ?

Are there any other issues with the car?

Since you checked the fuses, i would check the headlight switch. Also check the connectors that hold the bulbs.
    Check the wires in the front lights for chafing. I had the wire insulation just fall off of the wires, so the bare wires would touch and short out. The front lights are easy to access (easier than any other car I've seen).
  • sandra85sandra85 Member Posts: 2
    I need help! I have a 98 oldmobile Intrigue and I was driving on the highway, i turned on my turn signal to switch lanes and the car died. I put it on neutral and started right back. Later i turned on the cruise control and it was fine for awhile, but then suddenly the car died again. So i stopped using the turn signals and cruise control and drove 80 miles just fine. Then, i turned off the car and it wouldn't start back up. So i messed with it for awhile. and figured out it would turn on 90% of the time if i turn on the lights manually first then turn it over. It will not start at all if i leave the lights on auto.
  • sandra85sandra85 Member Posts: 2
    I've checked the headlights, all the fuses and the battery. All are fine. when i turn the car on, and turn the turn signals on all the lights on the dash go off, and the car dies. Once i turn off the turn signal all the lights come back on, and i can then turn on the car again. and if i move the lever it makes a buzzing noise. I dont know if this helps, but i hope so.
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    Sounds like a short in the wiring for the mutifunction lever, although I have never heard of that before. I use to have an Impala that needed one of these due to non-functioning high beam lights. The dealer wanted $600 so I decided to live without high beams. DIY can be tricky on these multifunction levers.
  • istdocistdoc Member Posts: 2
    My '98 Intrigue speedometer light just died. One mechanic says he will start digging for electrical problems (@ $65/hour) with no guarantee of results. The dealer says the whole speedo assembly is modular and requires unit R&R (@ $350/unit)to the tune of 2 hours (@ $85/hour). This is a freaking light bulb! Can the light be replaced without a complete speedo module? How difficult is it? Where can I find instructions? Much appreciated!
    When I replaced the ignition switch on my 2000 Intrigue, I did replace a light bulb in the speedometer. I can't remember the bulb number but I bought the bulb from Advance Auto part. The salesman said it was a typical GM light bulb for their gages.

You can alos replace the speedometer cluster with a used unit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-Oldsmobile-Intrigue-Speedometer_W0QQitemZ150- - - 384262106QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item230399bb- - - da

Directions to remove the speedometer cluster are here: http://www.carspace.com/guides/Cleaning-the-Ignition-Switch-on-a-2000-Intrigue

these directions are for a 2000 Intrigue. Follow to Phase 2; number 3. Hopefully it's the same for a 1998.

You can always remove th speedometer cluster and check the bulbs. If that doesn't work, get the cluster from EBay.

Hope this helps.
  • 99intrigue0099intrigue00 Member Posts: 15
    Pics on this page may help:

00 Intrigue Ignition Switch Replacement
    Pictures are worth a thousand words. great pics!
  • chancehchanceh Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Olds Intrigue 3.5 with 245,000 miles and it has two issues I can't figure out.

1. It will not start using the key, I have to jump the bottom two pins on the Crank relay. I have changed the crank relay, had the starter tested, checked all the fuses. Now it will only start for 2 or 3 seconds and then die....

2. The instrument cluster will not work at all now. the gauges would die and then come back. Not all at one time. Now all will not work.
    I really like my car and want to fix it, I just don't want to spend allot of money on it.

Any help would great. Thanks in advance.
    1. When it starts and shuts off after 2 0r 3 seconds, are you using the key or jumping the crank relay? When you turn the key to the "on" position, do you hear the fuel pump? It's a light hum from the left that lasts for 2-3 seconds. When the car does not start with the key, does it make any noise? does it sound like it "wants" to start but simply won't turn over? Are there any CEL lights?

2. This could be related to issue 1.

Based on your post, you already eliminated the crankshaft sensor. It seems like it is not getting a signal from the ignition which leads me to suspect the ignition switch. (Surprise, surprise). It also could be the fuel pressure regulator. On another Intrigue forum, the FPR is another common problem as well. If the ignition isn't working, then I can see the instrument cluster also not working.

it seems like you are handy under the hood. I would check the pressure on the FPR. I think it is suppose to be in the 40+ psi range. If that checks out fine, I would look at the ignition switch. I posted directions; another forum regular posted pictures which are great. You can try cleaning the contacts or simply replace it. I bought mine at Fisher Auto parts (local) or you can order it from www.gmpartsdirect.com or www.rockauto.com. folks have had good luck with these two websites.
  • chancehchanceh Member Posts: 3
    When I jump the crank relay, its the only way it will crank now. When I use the key to start the lights on the dash go dead, radio, clock, etc. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to on. What are CEL lights? I used a code reader on it last night and no codes were present.

I have thought of the ignition switch before. A couple years and 100,000 miles ago I had the problem with making a left turn and it dies. I took all the keys off my ring except the car key and it stopped. I will check the FPR tonight.
    "I have thought of the ignition switch before. A couple years and 100,000 miles ago I had the problem with making a left turn and it dies. I took all the keys off my ring except the car key and it stopped. I will check the FPR tonight."

I had the same thing happen to me with my Intrigue. The CEL are Check Engine Lights (Check Engine Soon; Service Engine Soon).

If the FPR checks fine, the igntion switch is likely the culprit.
  • rponderrponder Member Posts: 1
    I think it's crazy for someone to spend $360 dollars on a window regulator, I bought on new for $21 dollars and used one on E-bay fr $12 with a motor. I never replaced one before but it was easy and took less than an hour. I think you have been getting ripped off.
  • srwilson8074srwilson8074 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Oldsmobile, one of the finest automobiles ever made until the intrigue. My wifes bought a 2000 olds intrigue GLS. From a motor head stand point the car is very responsive, the nirth star motor can put the rubber to the ground. The mileage for a car its size is very impressionable. The handling of the car is very rigid and handles fantastic. The problem with this car is the electrical system.
    Lights flickering, dash lights flickering, head lights do not work, if you push the cruise control the radio will not work. The high beams work only if you hold the turn signal back towards steering wheel. I replaced the headlight switch and it worked for about a year. I have checked the ground and I have also added extra ground wires in the engine compartment. I have checked the fuses, cleaned all the connections and used di electric grease. Still have the same problem. I guess my wife and I are spoiled because we also have a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme, the car has 300,000 miles on it and other then basic maintance items this car has been trouble free. Not insult intended but my wife does not take care of the car the way she should, she has changed the oil three times ( I have changed it or the shop has done the serviceing) This car gets almost 30 miles per gallon still, I wish they would have left great enough alone. I am at witts end with the electrical problem and I am not going to send to GM they will bleed you dry for a problem they created. Dont like foreign cars but at least they get a warrantee. :confuse:
  • netman55netman55 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 2002 gls and my sunroof is not working which direction did you push to get it operational and do you know of the electrical system for it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
  • netman55netman55 Member Posts: 4
    I had various problems with my 2002 old intrigue gls and eventually I had to replace the alternator, your problem sounds more like the voltage regulator but unfortunately the voltage reg is built into the alternator. But instead of going to a service station find a company that sells rebuilt alternators and find a good backyard mechanic that way it will only cost about 200 for the rebuilt and usually for a mechanic working under the table about 100. This is what I did and have no more problems. A dealer or professional shop will want between 900 and 1400 to do the job I would suggest to have it scoped first that would cost about 40-50 dollars.That would confirm your problem. It took almost 1 year for my alternator to completely go.

Good Luck
  • josadajosada Member Posts: 2
    I have a friend with a 2002 Olds Intrigue with a signal light problem. The left front signal burns out in a very short period of time. It may last a couple of weeks but has burnt out in less than a day. I don't want to replace her headlight assembly if that is not the problem. Does anyone have an answer to this problem. It has always been new bulbs used and this problem is only with the left front signal light. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    You need to replace the electrical socket. It's a common problem with the Intrigues. You can buy the socket either online or at the dealership. Very easy to replace yourself.
  • josadajosada Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I appreciate the info. I'll buy a new socket tomorrow!!!
  • wife_try2helpwife_try2help Member Posts: 2
    My husband has a 98 Olds Intrigue. He has done a complete engine swap, tranny, computer, ext. After he change the engine and trans it would work. But after he changed the computer the car will not crank. He can get it to start when he hooks us a push button, but it will not start when he tries to actually turn the key. The fuel pump kicks on when you turn it to the on position, just none of the light on the dash come on or will it start. Any suggestions? He thinks it the BCM, but I do not want to put anymore money in this car unless I know FORSURE that is what it is. Anybody have any advice?
  • jwhahnjwhahn Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Olds Intrigue has a similar problem. The right turn signal keeps burning out.
    The mechanic that I took my car to, thinks the ignition switch is the problem. I'm currently looking for a reconditioned switch. Ordering a switch from the GM/Chevrolet dealer will cost about $200. Since my car is so old, I hesitate to spend that kind of money on it, although the engine and transmission are still functioning well. The wires that the turn signal plugs into have already been replaced. The mechanic didn't find a significant drain on the battery (ie a short). It's possible that when the ignition key is turned it shorts out for a moment.

If anyone has an insight into my problem please let me know.
  • istdocistdoc Member Posts: 2
    1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue, one-owner, kept in immaculate condition. The value right now, though, is lessened because of two things: Leaks in the right rear passenger section (maybe fixed...not sure...it hasn't rained in Indiana for 2 months since it was supposedly "fixed".). AND...the big CLUNK.

Fully loaded in Bloomington, IN, we took off on a trip first to Cincinnati, then New Orleans, then Florida, then home. 20 miles from home we stopped for coffee at McDonald's. I went inside, and my wife stayed in the car. She came in about 5 minutes after I left her. The car had been idling, then idled rough (new gas?), then quit. She tried to re-start it, and it started, with rough idling and a "horrible smell". It stopped again.

Never to re-start.

The tow truck picked it up and took it to an agreeable mechanic who, after his lunch, put it on the rack. He found a starter with a broken nose. Replaced it. Bill for towing, charging, the rack, and broken starter replacement was $396. (I think he saw a traveller in need.)

However, when he put it back on the ground, it wouldn't start. The mechanic turned it over with a torque bar, and it would only turn 1/4 clockwise or 1/2 counter-clockwise. His diagnosis: Engine is frozen. His solution: junk the engine and put in a used one.

Estimate from another shop (that I trust to do the work is $2895. I don't think it is worth it.

QUESTIONS:

1. Would I get my money back if I put the $2900 work into it?
    2. Would I have a car to still drive if I put the work into it?
    3. Is it worth having the work done...or should I abandon this good looking vehicle to the salvage yard?
    4. Finally...are there any ideas about WHY THE ENGINE DID THIS...and WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?

Thanks for listening...

-Kurt-
    Before spending money on a new ignition switch, take a close look at the turn signal socket and see if there any black (burned) marks on the contacts. If you see the burned marks on the contacts, replace the socket. Any GM dealership should sell the part.

REgarding the ignition switch, you can use an aftermarket switch. I replaced my switch using one I bought at a local auto part store. I think I paid around $100 for the switch and replaced it myself.

Good luck.