Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    hooihooi Member Posts: 6
    No, I went to one in Houston.

The reason why I decided to go with the extended warranty was due to the fact that hybrid technology is new and may have reliability problems down the road; especially since the Hybrid Civic is in its first model year. If anything were to happen, repairs at the dealer would probably cost me a pretty penny.

Thus for peace of mind, I went with the extended just to be safe. I have done research on the net and here on edmund's and they extended warranty from other source would have cost the same as I paid.
  • Options
    tomj7tomj7 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to get a 4-door EX w/auto Civic. I live in Atlanta and have received an out the door price of $17,800. Is the good deal? It also would include floor mats, splash guards, and moonroof visor.
  • Options
    avi770favi770f Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Brooklyn and just got a initial quote for a
    2003 Civic EX Coupe w/side air bags

I want to lease and they quoted 225/month ( no alarm and splash guards - yet)
    The MF is .00088 which comes out to 2.11%
    Tax is 8.25%
    Residual is 10,585 which comes out to 63.64%
    bank fee is 550
    plates 112

Does this sound good?

Avi
  • Options
    als995als995 Member Posts: 3
    I am negotiating for LX Sedan Auto w/side airbags. intellichoice.com says there's a $1000 manufacturer to dealer incentive, while edmunds.com says it's $0...

What's the most reliable way to figure out dealer incentive and dealer holdback amount?

Alok
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    I think you've got to do exactly what you're doing - check as many sources as you can find.

Relying on any single source just isn't possible, I believe.
    Ain't the net great?! An hour or two on-line can get you a nice basket of info.

FWIW, I think it's also a good idea to keep checking 'what did you pay?' resources. Manufacturer>dealer incentives may be closely held secrets sometimes, but what real people actually pay can tip a guy off even then.
  • Options
    als995als995 Member Posts: 3
    my dealer produced a fax from honda auto sales division which said that - "incentive information on intellichoice.com is incorrect." called honda, they said any such manufacturer to dealer communication can't be commented upon.
  • Options
    95sentra95sentra Member Posts: 4
    I did some search but couldn't find any price info on Honda Civic DX. Has anyone got good deal on DX? Can I get DX sedan manual+side air for less than 11K?
  • Options
    impetigoimpetigo Member Posts: 1
    I paid $15,050 for my 2002 Civic EX, 5-speed manual, with floormats back in July, 2002. That doesn't include tax, title, etc. Got the extended warranty for $900 extra (too much, I know..). So far, after 9 months and 9,000 miles, it's been a good car. Few minor problems but nothing major.
  • Options
    sanjosegirlsanjosegirl Member Posts: 1
    I'm a female looking for EX w/auto Civic coupe and the price in www.carsdirect.com is $16,053. is this a good deal ?
    thanks for your advice
    PS: i live in San Jose, California
  • Options
    kapriciouskapricious Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, the carsdirect price is good. I got a quote from there as well but chose to deal with a local authorized carsdirect dealer. I also checked with local dealers in my area and not a single one came close to the carsdirect price. The local authorized dealer beat the carsdirect price by $600 and still had room for bargaining. Even if the authorized dealer can't beat the carsdirect price, you can still go through carsdirect and come out with a good deal.

By the way, if you're not pressed to buy now and can wait a few months, you might be able to knock off another grand or two after the 2004 model comes out.

Good luck.
  • Options
    kapriciouskapricious Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like you got a good deal on your car. Do you remember if the 2003 models were out when you bought your 2002 EX?
  • Options
    podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    i'm 18 and want a new car. i've had two cars in two years so i like change. i'm looking into honda's 2003 civic lx sedan's special lease. $1,333 due at signing-$159/mo-12k miles/year for 48 months. in leases are you able to negotiate selling price, options(security), and miles per year? would leasing it past it's warranty be smart, even though their reputation of reliability? i like the fact of having a low payment on a brand new car, but would leasing be right? your feedback would be very helpful in my decision. thank you.
  • Options
    lanrabbitlanrabbit Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Northern, VA area and I'm currently looking to buy a new Civic EX Sedan (automatic). I was quoted a Cardirect price of $16,532. I assume that doesn't include destination or tax and title charges. After reading everyone's messages posted here, that quote doesn't exactly sound like a wonderful deal. Does it?

Do you have any suggestions on what I can expect to pay in the Northern VA area?
  • Options
    chuckibaby1chuckibaby1 Member Posts: 1
    I Just purchased a 2003 ex coupe with auto trans. out the door for 16,600 $ with 1.9 percent finance for 5 years and of course Zero down at Norm Reeves Honda in LA, CA.
    Here is a rough est. break down.

15,200 $ vehicle
    1,100 $ tax @ 7.25 percent Ventura county not LA
    200 $ Regist.
    495 $ dist. charge dealer payed the fee
    100 $ and of course the Floor mats !!!!!

What ever you guys do, do not bargain with payment " how much you can afford a month", This is a pure dealer trick, always bargain out the door price. Out the door price will always reflect overall monthly payments. My payment was 290 $ a month on zero down, Interest was 875 $ for the life of the loan.
  • Options
    tieshantieshan Member Posts: 1
    that's a good deal...I paid 17,500 w/out the car mats 2 yrs ago for the same vehicle and I know I got a good deal..
  • Options
    rascalloverascallove Member Posts: 28
    Hey, I'm 18 and I plan on getting a honda civic coupe automatic and I don't know what color I should get and options. What options did you get? and any suggestions?
  • Options
    focuserrorfocuserror Member Posts: 34
    I have been told by a dealer in Michigan that the Civic Sedan DX with Side Air Bags just is not available. Has anyone found one of these? I want automatic transmission.
  • Options
    Dunno, but I've got an idea about how you can find out.

If you go to the Honda USA website, you can use the dealer locator to get to the dealer websites. Most of the dealers, in my region at least, have websites that let you search their inventories.
    http://www.hondacars.com
  • Options
    focuserrorfocuserror Member Posts: 34
    I tried this, and I couldn't find one with side air bags:(
  • Options
    Yeah, ;~{.

Looks like the dealer was right, huh?

You can always expand your search area with different zip codes, but I have a hunch the dealer has already checked and/or knows they can't be ordered.
  • Options
    mi03toymi03toy Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading these messages for a while, and I decided to ask you guys for your opinion on some of the quotes I've been getting on a 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe manual w/side airbags. I got a price of $ 15,895(no floor mats, or splash guards,),for the car, but that price does not include my taxes, doc fees, or registration. Does it sound good to you guys? Has any one seen a better price in the Bay Area, or Southern California. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Thought about the Si, Toy? A guy on another thread was saying they can be had in SoCal for about that same money.
  • Options
    bnadrojbnadroj Member Posts: 5
    I just got one of these for $16,900 including destination, before tax & license; they're also throwing in floor mats and a cargo net. The dealer was Honda of Pasadena, and the price was actually their initial quote. Some other dealers offered the same or similar prices, but a few weren't willing to go that low.

I love the car so far -- if you're looking for something fun to drive and practical at the same time, you really ought to take a test drive. At these prices it's a great deal. Mine was Vivid Blue Pearl, but you should be able to find any of the colors -- when I test drove one in Santa Monica the salesman was concerned the battery would be drained from sitting on the lot so long!

Jordan
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Congrats on the new car. Again, make sure you put the car in gear when you park and keep an eye on the oil for the first 10,000 miles.
  • Options
    adamsladadamslad Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I just picked up my black Civic Si from Open Road Honda in Edison, NJ last night. It was a 2002 left- over, but brand new. I paid $15,800 for one with side airbags. They threw in floor mats and wheel locks with it. Love the car so far. It makes a great second car to compliment (and take some mileage burden off of) my 2001 Audi S4.
  • Options
    tomj7tomj7 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a Civic EX 4 door w/auto, moonroof visor, floor mats, and mud guards. color is dark blue. I negotiated the total price via email and over the phone. Joe had paperwork ready and when I got to the dealer I was out in one hour. You have to be careful or you will give the dealer back the money you just saved when you see the Finance Manager (extended warant $1620,gap insurance $499, life/disability insurance $499, and road hazard on tires $599). I kept on saying NO and drove out with what I think is a good deal.
  • Options
    trigredtrigred Member Posts: 9
    Can somebody tell me whether Honda offers an extended warranty on 03Civic LX Sedan or whether this would have to be through an outside firm? Just leased above vehicle for 48months/48,000 miles, std warranty is for 3yr/36,000 miles and included on my lease contract is 4yr/60,000 miles warranty zero deduct. I paid as far as I can tell $535 extra. Love car so far--just want to know if I got beat.
  • Options
    bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    I am truly amazed that people buy any extended warranty for any Japanese car or even many American cars. Most cars built today do not need to be insured against breakage, Honda's even more so. Yes there may be a very few out there that had a freak maintenance failure that would have been covered with an extended warranty, but they are absolutely an exception. Extended warranties on most cars are cash cows for the seller, with little risk for pay out. You just paid over $500 betting that your Honda will break during 36-48K between 36 and 48 months. You would have had better odds for pay out and more fun taking that money to Vegas. I know people just like to pay for that sense of security, but most of the time it's a total waste of money.
  • Options
    trigredtrigred Member Posts: 9
    Actually I now have zero deduct. in case of a problem for up to 60,000 miles instead of 36,000 miles. I hope I never need any warranty work at all but I don't mind paying for a little "peace of mind". Guess that's why there is more than one horse in a race--difference of opinion. Hope we both have many trouble free miles.
  • Options
    mmeislermmeisler Member Posts: 3
    I just paid $15,800 plus tax and tags for a new EX Sedan automatic including floor mats and mud guards in Suburban Baltimore. Did I do OK?
  • Options
    aquablue99aquablue99 Member Posts: 2
    Man you got ripped off bigtime!
  • Options
    carman54carman54 Member Posts: 14
    They are selling Civic Ex at Tampa hondaland for 14,500 plus Tax and tags..thats for auto
  • Options
    TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    I just inherited a 2001 LX Coupe-Auto, with only 3700 miles. It is a bright gold color - almost exactly like a gold coin. Anyone know what that color is called? Can't find it on the Edmund site and it looks like Honda doesn't make it any more. I've had people either say they love it (younger folks mostly) or hate it (older folks).

Can't decide if I want to keep it or not. It's fun to drive, but I don't really need a third car.
  • Options
    bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    I find that hard to believe that a Honda dealer would sell you a 2003 EX w/automatic, Coupe or Sedan for that price. That is over $2000 under dealer invoice. It's kind of hard to stay in business making deals like that. Try to go down there and actually get that price in writing. If you can, I'll be happy to drive down from Ft. Walton Beach and pick one up. I grew up in Tampa and I just can't see that price being a reality anywhere.
  • Options
    TS: The color you are referring to is Inca Pearl.
  • Options
    crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    Mmeisler, I think $15,800 for an EX sedan w/automatic is a great price. I paid $15,100 for my LX sedan (also automatic) in Dec 2002. Got the 1.9% financing to boot. (Northern California prices are higher than most other states except for Hawaii. This applies to just about anything you can buy including gasoline, where it's still a whopping $2.09 a gallon for 87 octane!)

My friends all laugh at me saying that I could have bought a new V6 Mustang for the price that I paid for my Civic, but I know my Civic will probably outlast a Mustang, provided it doesn't get stolen. I think it's in the top 5 stolen cars in California.
  • Options
    rascalloverascallove Member Posts: 28
    what options should i get on my black honda civic EX coupe automatic? I live in MD and it snows in the winter, should i get mudguards? I plan on getting the spoiler and titanium interior
  • Options
    mmeislermmeisler Member Posts: 3
    Hey autoblue99 - Want to explain why you are telling me I got ripped off? I think that was kind of a rude way to respond without any explanation.
  • Options
    alfalfa549alfalfa549 Member Posts: 3
    I began a lease search for a Honda CRV EX on Tuesday Morning in Pittsburgh. I used email and the Honda web site for initial contact. I sent out requests to 20 dealers. The Honda site is a pain for this. Just get dealer list and go to their web site. Send the same message to all.

I said " I am ready to lease a Honda CRV EX auto. I am looking for 12k per year miles, 48 month term, no money down, no security fee, no acquistion fee, no termination fee. I am ready to move now"

In the next 24 hours I had over 10 responses. No one gives you the skinny first shot. So you have to do your homework. The list for an EX auto is $22.8k. The Edmund's TMV is 21.9k. That was my target. Cap cost-residual/term is capital cost. (Cap cost+residual)*money factor is interest. Money factor is interest rate divided by 2400. Add taxes in your area. Mine are 10%. Add. For my goal, this yielded $300/month.

Everyone started at $330-350 per month. A couple phone calls, fax, email per party yielded $305 offer. I signed up. Got the color I wanted. Drove one home on Thursday.

You too can do it!
  • Options
    joe70vwjoe70vw Member Posts: 8
    I went to carsdirect.com and printed their price of $15300 (That's $500 below Invoice!). I then took this price to the dealer where he matched it with about 1 minutes of hesitation. I qualified for the 1.9% financing. Val Strough Honda in Seaside CA. They so many honda civics they don't have room to park any more. ABS, Moonroof, Power everthing, Mags, VTEC engine, great overall deal. Only thing I did not like was the firestone tires it came with.
  • Options
    slickracerslickracer Member Posts: 38
    I just bought a 2003 Civic EX and went from the dealer straight to the local Firestone dealer and had the crappy FR690's exchanges for the new LH30. They drive wonderful!.
  • Options
    pgh4pgh4 Member Posts: 13
    alfalfa

If I understand your posting correctly, the $305 pymt includes the tax..... correct ? I'm from Pgh also, and thinking about a CRV when our Outback lease expires later this year. Thx
  • Options
    nanomugnanomug Member Posts: 2
    I paid 18,300 last November and purchased the 100,000 extended warranty for several reasons:
    1) I got it for cost
    2) My local dealer gives me a rental car if a repair takes more than 15 min
    3) fuel cells warranty ends at 60K
    4) car is used for commuting 25K a year.
  • Options
    lisshawilllisshawill Member Posts: 5
    I would like to hear from Canadians on prices paid for a Honda Civic LX sedan, automatic.

The listed MSRP = $20,400
    Delivery = $850
    Licence air, tire tax = $499
    Total net of GST = $21,749

What is the best price paid up north for this car. Please give me a goal to work towards.

Can't wait to be a Honda Owner!!
  • Options
    civicbabycivicbaby Member Posts: 1
    Is there any good deal for civic in Central Florida area? Seems that the price here is kept high by all dealerships. Any advice? Thx
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I've been looking at the Civic DX coupe with no options. Have any of you priced these? The lowest price I've found so far is in the high 12's. Can it be had for less?
  • Options
    reddachshundreddachshund Member Posts: 1
    Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the cost/value advantages of the high-end Civic EX vs. the low-end Accord DX? CarsDirect has the Accord at $14,488 and the Civic at $15,752 in New York.

As far as I can see, the Civic has three major advantages: sunroof, remote entry and AC (in fact, the Accord DX doesn't even seem to offer AC as an option!) But everything else seems fairly minor, and the Accord makes up for it somewhat by including a much more powerful engine (160hp vs. 127), double wishbone suspension and a security system. It may seem like I've already answered my own question, but simply looking at a comparison sheet doesn't really tell me enough to judge the relative merits of the two cars, especially when it comes to performance and handling.

So is it worthwhile to forget about AC and a sunroof, and get the more powerful Accord (you can buy a lot of cold drinks with the $1260 you'd save), or is the Civic a comparable/better experience? And if it turns out that the Accord is the better car, would it be worthwhile to shell out another $1740 and get an air-conditioned Accord LX ($17,493/CarsDirect) rather than the Civic? Thanks very much.
  • Options
    AC on a DX Accord is a dealer-installed option. If it were me I woud maybe buy a 2001-2002 Accord and have the best of both worlds. You would have the sunroof, ABS, keyless, AC, etc for the price of a new Civic EX but you would still get front/rear double wishbones, more HP than Civic, and a larger car.

If you must buy new then I would probably buy the Civic EX cause I gotta have my sunroof.
  • Options
    supernodesupernode Member Posts: 1
    wonder if there are any more 02 civic Si leftovers at the dealership? first time car buyer with a budget of 14-15k. any suggestions??
  • Options
    2 suggestions about trying to find an '02:

Start searching dealer inventories on-line. hondacars.com will get you links to dealers with websites, the huge majority of which have on-site inventory searches.
    Your local dealers may be willing to try to locate one.

Dunno what a realistic price is. $15K would buy you one in December if you were willing to work and travel for the deal. You'd think it would be reasonable to take less 6 months later. OTOH, like new used '02's are said to go for $13.5K wholesale and as much as $16K retail.