Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jlord50jlord50 Member Posts: 13
    I got a quote for a 07 Civic LX AT:
    $16,950 (plus tax & tags)
    Is this a good price?
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    I got a quote here in the DC/Baltimore metro area for 2007 Civiv Coupe Auto EX w/ Nav emailed to me that said:

Invoice-Dealer Holdback-Dealer Cash- Internet Discount.
    $20,154.67-$425.20-$500=19,229.47
    An on the road price based upon the above number would be $20,505.94

My low ball offer is going to be: 18063.11 (see earlier posts on how I got this number)
    and my Target price is $19661.55 (out the door price, all fees included) Or, $18,520.45 before tax & tags

I basically need to take the dealer down $750 to get my target price, and hopefully that'll be doable tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm not sure what's best for your car (the LX Civic), but a quick look at Edmunds shows that a LX Auto's invoice is $16,166 for the coupe to $16,349 for the sedan. The invoice for the car I want, which I provided numbers for in this post is $19,560. So at a $3k difference in invoice, maybe you should have something like a $3k difference to me in target price which would mean you would want to pay like $15,5xx before tax and tags - yea? Which means you should aim to go $1500ish lower than that quote.

This is all just rough estimates that I hope can get you started.

I'll let everyone know how successful I am in getting my target price over the next few days.
  • Options
    Thanks! A couple of questions:
    1. How can one find invoice price on edmunds?
    2. In the formula
    Invoice-Dealer Holdback-Dealer Cash- Internet Discount.
    = $20,154.67-$425.20-$500

there were 3 terms with minus signs on the left,
    but only 2 such terms on the right. I infer that
    the "dealer cash" term is zero, correct?
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    You can check the invoice using Edmunds and comes out to be 16,984 (including destination).

I saw somewhere in the threads for an LX Auto for 16,450 (not sure of the exact amount).

I tried to check the 07 LX-Auto prices (I am really interested in the 08 EX) and someone quoted me $16,500 (plus taxes, registration and doc). Documentation is $55 tire fee $8.75.

The $16,500 is a good price without using the formula. They are probably trying to dispose the 07 as quickly as they can. With these prices, my guess is that they will not last long. I think you can also get that for the 08 if you try harder. Let us know how it comes out.

I am in the bay area (San Franciso) by the way.

Goodluck!
  • Options
    06civic_pain06civic_pain Member Posts: 8
    Read my dealership rating for this Mile One Automotive dealer in Maryland. They defrauded me in the purchase of a brand new 2006 Civic EX sedan, violating my rights as a consumer. Heritage Honda deliberately withheld accident history and repair on their new, never titled car and lied on multiple contract forms.

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/Maryland/Westminster/HeritageHondaNissanofWes- tminster/index.html

:mad:
    FYI- I've been in the process for some time now taking this through the few complaint avenues available to fight this all the way e.g. BBB, AG's office, MVA for COMAR violations and obtaining consumer protection legal advice. I'll keep posts on future developments as I go to war with them...
  • Options
    smccafferysmccaffery Member Posts: 6
    :) Car Price $18,624 includes dest fee, window tinting, wheel locks, trunk tray, pin stripes, mud guards, fabric protection and exterior sealant. No other fees except TTL. OTD $20,008. This was the first time I purchased over the internet, I will never go into a showroom again without a done deal. Thanks to all who have posted it really helped me price this car right.
  • Options
    I just walked away from $19,390 + tax & tags & dealer processing for an '07 Civic EX Coupe Automatic w/ Nav here in the DC/Baltimore area. I really would like to get the Civic for around $19,500 OTD.

I went to another dealer and was able to get the dealer to say he could give me the '08 Civic Sedan Auto w/ Nav & Leather for $21k + tax & tags (I want to say just those extra costs), but we walked away from that too.

If I can't get the '07 Civic Coupe EX Auto w/ Nav any lower, I may as well get the '08 for $1500 more.

Or, maybe I can grab an '07 Accord EXL w/ Nav for around $23,0xx.

What do you guys think?

I plan to hit up the dealers I visited on Tuesday armed with a Cashier's check for $19,500. Seeing that I am ready to close (don't need to finance, etc) I hope they'll be more eager to make the deal.
  • Options
    smccafferysmccaffery Member Posts: 6
    Each market is very different, as is the dealer inventory, '07s are runnning low now. I was very happy to get $75 over invoice incl./add on. Add ons is where is where the dealer tries to make a buck. Invoice on yours is $19,200 and I don't know what your TTL is. I think you are being unrealistic for OTD at $19,500 unless there is no sales tax in MD. As far as paying up an '08, that depends on how long you plan to keep the car for. I had planned on keeping my car for 5+ years. Cash vs finance is no big deal, I think they would rather see you finace as there must be something in it for them too. I paid cash and they tried to get me to finance it. I am very happy with my purchase. I wanted excellent mpg and a fair price and I feel I got both. As long as you walk away feeling good about your your purchase, :shades: nothing else matters. As long as you're informed and have done your research you should be good. Make your purchase and don't look back.
  • Options
    eyesonme0eyesonme0 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning on buying a Civic coupe LX manual in a month or two.
    I received an offer from a dealer through e-mail.
    --------------------------------------------
    MSRP: $17,355.00

YOUR SPECIAL INTERNET PURCHASE PRICE IS:

$15,681.00*** PLUS FEES

This price is valid only in our Internet Sales Department
    --------------------------------------------
    Do dealers actually offer this model at this price? Or is this just a bait? And what is the reasonable price that people usually pay?
  • Options
    terrypm1terrypm1 Member Posts: 79
    You need to find out what additional fees the dealer is talking about. The best way to compare prices between two dealers is the bottom line price or as some call the out the door (OTD) price.
    Some dealer additional fees might range from $100.00 to $1500.00. You just never know until they explain themselves.
  • Options
    Ok, I think I'm getting my final numbers. As I mentioned above, the best '07 Civic Coupe w/ Auto & Nav price that I am getting in the DC/Baltimore area is $19,390 + tax, tags, & dealer processing. The best '07 Accord Coupe EXL-Nav Auto price I am getting is $22,990 + tax, tags, dealer processing.

Haven't tried to push these numbers in person yet though. So on Monday, I'm going to try and get that Civic price lower. If I can, then I'll go with the Civic. Otherwise, I will go for the Accord since it's $3,500 more.

There's a price difference of $5,000 between the invoice price of both cars so I feel as if there should be that sort of savings between the two in prices.

However, the difference between Edmunds TMV price between the two is just around $3k ($20,754 on the Civic vs. $23,819 on the Accord) so maybe I have tapped rock bottom prices and really can't negotiate more.

Let's see what happens.

I don't really care if I push too hard or wait too long to lose out on the Civic because there are still quite a few '07 Accords w/ Nav around the DC area. I really would rather have an Accord anyways.
  • Options
    Bought it today at $16944 (invoice) + tax + tags
    which comes out to be $18130 OTD.

I had three quotes at invoice, and two that appeared
    to be below invoice at first glance(the lowest being $16744). But when unwanted options are added, these
    "lower" quotes would lead to a higher OTD price.

In summary, I made the best deal I could get while
    such a car with the right color is still available.
    No regrets.
  • Options
    jan_sct06jan_sct06 Member Posts: 6
    Wow, where did you buy this car? I am impressed.

In general, everyone: my best quotes for 07 Civic Sedan LX have been $16945 before TTL (in the Chicagoland area). I see many others have been paying that price... I do want to negotiate it down but am not sure how much would be reasonable. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    dealerbwaredealerbware Member Posts: 4
    I actually just purchased my 08' civic EX/AT w/Nav and here is the price that I paid $22,400 otd.
    I told them that I would pay 22,000 and they told me that they couldn't go lower than 22,400 (and I am fine with that)

the price broke down like as follows:

Cash price of vehicle: 20709.72
    Document fees 250.00
    Sales Tax(Ohio 6.75%) 1414.78
    Title filing fees 25.50

Total out the door paid: $22,400
  • Options
    dealerbwaredealerbware Member Posts: 4
    And btw. I paid cash for it (did not finance a penny).
    Thank you all for the advice. It really helped me out negotiating. Those who told me to just be upfront and let them know what I was willing to pay if the could make the deal happen today...You were dead on accurate! I feel like I got a great deal! And we love the way it drives, feels, sounds,....and there's nothing like driving a car off the lot with 8 miles on the odometer.
  • Options
    jan_sct06jan_sct06 Member Posts: 6
    I know there are very few 07s left now, and there are maybe 4-5 in the Chicagoland area in various colors (white, black, beige, red). My best 07 offer is $16,945 (including destination fee), OTD price of $18,606.70 including tax (7.25% in Cook County), title, license, mudguards and pinstripe.

Compared to other 07 offers on this message board, the price doesn't seem like the best deal. However, I did get an 08 offer for $17,285 (invoice + $300), OTD price $18,876. Should I just go for the 08 offer, pay more but figure I'll make it back later in the likely case I sell the car, or should I negotiate down the 07 offer so it is a better deal?

I do have to buy a car in the next four days (moving from the city to the suburbs, and I need a car to get to work on Monday)...

Thanks so much for the feedback.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Should I just go for the 08 offer, pay more but figure I'll make it back later in the likely case I sell the car, or should I negotiate down the 07 offer so it is a better deal?

I would pay the $270 extra for the 2008. I don't know how long you're planning to keep the car, but if you go to the used car pricing calculator and you calculated the price of a 2004 Civic and a 2003 with the same mileage, I think you'll see far more of a price difference than $270.

If there are only 4-5 2007's left in a large area, they're probably selling fairly well so they're not likely to go too much lower.
  • Options
    Hmmm.. yours is the one with leather right? I was talking to a dealer on sat and he said that he could do $21k before fees for an '08 Civic Auto sedan w/ Nav. So your price seems along the lines of what's doable.

So based on this, what should I pay for the '07 Civic Coupe Auto w/ Nav that I'm eyeing? The price right now is $19,390.
  • Options
    terrypm1terrypm1 Member Posts: 79
    Hi all. I need someone to tell me a decent price to pay for a 2006 Civic EX coupe. It is automatic with all options. Body is in good condition and it needs tires in next 5000 miles. Car has 45K miles on it now. The original owner is selling it. Any sugestions?
  • Options
    supermom2005supermom2005 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Raleigh, NC. They definitely high-balled me at first as well. My best advice: research, research, research! Make sure they know you know what you're talking about. And don't feel the need to buy the car that day. I went back and forth with them for a few days before agreeing to anything. I thought it was pretty funny when the salesmen commented on how they "weren't making ANY money off of me." Damn right!
  • Options
    bartzbryantbartzbryant Member Posts: 1
    Hi Filod,

Where did you get $16,500? I am also in the bay area. Really want a 2007 Civic LX AT.

Appreciate!
  • Options
    eyesonme0eyesonme0 Member Posts: 2
    I bought mine at Downey Honda in California two days ago for 15,681 (including destination fee). I got 3 year extended warranty for 1300 dollars and 500 for advanced alaram. with 7% APR, I'm paying 319 a month for 60 months. I'm happy with my deal :)
  • Options
    thelanternthelantern Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I can't seem to find invoice prices anywhere on the 2008 civic coupe. I've resigned myself to looking for one of those, as the civic coupe 2007 is becoming more and more difficult to find. I know I won't be able to talk a dealer down as much as I'd be able to for an 07, but there's still no way I plan to pay sticker price. I'm in the DC area, if that helps anyone.
  • Options
    apaekapaek Member Posts: 2
    I got this offer in email from one dealer in Atlanta area, and thought it was pretty good deal, until I found out that the MSRP they quoted here already includes the destination fee, but the sales price does not. That is pretty slimy..

"Price is plus $635 destination, $399 documentation, sales tax, $28 title application and $3 GA Lemon Law"

2008 Civic LX sedan
    MSRP $18,395
    SALE $16,249

2008 Civic EX sedan
    MSRP $20,145
    SALE $17,854
  • Options
    tuke1tuke1 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a new 07 civic sedan in the dallas area for $18100, including destination fees and tax as well as mud guards, tint, pinstripe, trunk tray, and some other stuff. im wayy happy. :)
  • Options
    drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    What Dealer? That price actually seems similar to what I posted earlier.
  • Options
    kd2000kd2000 Member Posts: 14
    Last month during honda clearance event, I bought 07 Civic Beige EX 4Dr sedan with $300 below invoice. My final offer was $500 below invoice. I walked out the first instance after burning two hours at the dealership. The sales guy called me next week and closed the deal and they agreed on the price of $18159 inclduing destn charge. After that was tax, title, doc fees etc..I guess they had lot of inventory on beige color. You just need to negotiate hard. I also got some online quotes which were little bit below invoice. Now I also see that destination charge has also move to $635.
  • Options
    priyankampriyankam Member Posts: 5
    I get a quote of $17750 for OTD, 5% sales tax. Is this a good price?

Thanks a lot for your help!
  • Options
    riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    how is $17,444 + tax + title for a 2007 4dr civic LX automatic...? HELP!!!

going by some earlier post (like the guy right before me), this sounds too high...

Soooo what *should* I offer?
  • Options
    I get a quote of $17750 for OTD, 5% sales tax. Is this a good price?

Invoice price for a LX Sedan is

$16,349
    $635 destination

$16,984 total.

Does your $17,750 quote include the 5% sales tax or is it added on to the $17,750?
  • Options
    priyankampriyankam Member Posts: 5
    Jet10000, thanks for your help. Yes, the 5% tax is included.

Do you, or anyone, know how likely a dealer would go below invoice? Edmunds shows that the 07's invoice is $16166, but the two cars do not differ in anything except the year.

Does Honda usually have a sale at major holidays, like Thanksgiving and Christmas? I don't need the car right away, but do want to have it in the color I like. So I am debating whether I should get it right now or wait a couple more months. Please advice.
  • Options
    Do you, or anyone, know how likely a dealer would go below invoice?

Someone may, but I can't imagine that they're going to go much lower without any factory to dealer incentives. And I haven't really seen any incentives on the Civic from Honda. In the last quarter, Honda sold their most Civics ever.

But it's possible that the holiday season would be a good time to get some deals. You might be able to catch a dealer at the right time who is looking to meet his end of the month sales quote.

The deal you got sounds pretty good. Well done!
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to update that instead of going with the '07 Civic w/ Nav, I went with an '07 Accord w/ Nav. I have a pretty detailed post over here:
    srizvi1, "Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #17540, 1 Oct 2007 7:20 am

Ultimately, the Accord was just a couple grand more and it was just worth it to go with that.

Would love to hear comments and feel free to post any questions you may have. I'll still be subscribed to this thread for a little while longer.
  • Options
    jolleyredbudjolleyredbud Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

After researching I have decided on the 07 Civic EX w/Auto, so far the pricing has varied from 17,400 to 21,500.
    I spoke to a salesman and he quoted me 18,749.00 w/ dest this is w/o TTL and at 6.5 % sales tax.
    After reading the forum I see some people are paying way less for the total OTD.
    I just need to be pointed in the right direction for nego. the best price so we all win.
    My hope is to get at least 18,000.00 OTD ( now that it is Oct. will the deals be alittle better? )

Thanks to everyone for their imput!
    Jolley
  • Options
    I found this on the hondacars.com web-site when I entered my zip code for regional specials:

2007/2008 Civic Special AHFC A.P.R. Financing
    2.9% APR for 36 months, and 4.9% APR for 60 months

Regional Special AHFC A.P.R. financing available only to residents of: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, DC, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, KS, LA, MD, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV & WY on all new 2007/2008 Civic models. 2.9% APR financing for 24-36 months and 4.9% APR financing for 37-60 months available to customers who qualify for the AHFC Super Preferred credit tier.

Offer valid for through 12/3/2007, on new and unregistered 2007/2008 Civic Models and only on approved credit by Honda Financial Services through participating dealers.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Note that you can BUY from a dealer in a state not listed and get the promo rate as long as YOU reside in a state where that rate is offered.

Some of these are "dealer participation required" rates which means the dealer makes less money to offer this rate, but the last time Honda offered the cheap Civic rate you could get your best price AND the discount rate both but you will have to check with some dealers to be sure this time.

Dennis
  • Options
    wish I could have gotten this kind of rate on the '07 accord EXL-NAVI I just financed on Sunday.
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    bartzbryant, I do not know the rules about posting the dealer and name...so if you want email me at deveras2@sbcglobal.net

We finally purchased a car, so I may not be frequenting the forums for a while.

Sorry for the late reply.

FiloD
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    A shame that Florida wasn't included in the special financing. Since being married, we've always paid cash for our cars. Never even asked about special financing when I purchased my Civic last year. Looking back though, I should've inquired about their lowest rates since I'm assuming our FICO score is in the top tier.
    Next purchase, I'll definitely look into financing if the rate is low enough and the fees aren't that high. Might make sense if the interest rate I can get on that money is at least 4 to 5% greater than the loan %.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    I tried to find out whether the 30/40 mpg is
    really what I am getting.

In its first 740 miles (1/3 local, 2/3 freeway),
    it consumed 19.37 gallons of fuel, which works
    out to be 38.2 mpg. Very respectable, wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know how high of a credit score is required (or estimate)? Thanks :-) Also, could I have a co-signer (I'm a new college grad)
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I'd say! But you might want to visit Honda Civic Real World MPH for the discussion and range experienced by drivers who care to post.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how high of a credit score is required (or estimate)? Also, could I have a co-signer (I'm a new college grad)

I think the best way to get that information is to fill out a pre-approval application on-line. Ask those questions of Honda Finance. When you get the answers from Honda Finance, you'll be better able to know what to expect when you start negotiating the cost of the cars with the dealers.

Here's the link to the pre-approval application

http://automobiles.honda.com/finance-tools/
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    For a 4 dr EX Auto (that's what you mean, right?), you are being unrealistic on the OTD price. The quote is definitely a little high for an 07 before TTL, though. Invoice with destination on that car is about 18,565 as I recall. Aim for a few hundred below invoice, then the TTL. So obviously, you wouldn't wind up at $18K OTD.

Bear in mind when you read the prices here that for some buyers, as in Virginia, their sales tax is much lower, and that accounts for what seems to be low OTD.
  • Options
    That does not answer the question - you can get "pre-approved" online for a 15% rate or the 4.9% rate, no where do they ever tell you. You get a yes or a no and a limit on these things, and that is it. You have to wait for the dealer to at the "details" that we can't see to know the tier you qualify for. With the last two Honda deals I did I had to sit and fill out a paper app at the dealership even though I was "pre-approved" by AHFC. With BMW you get pre-approved and pick your dealer and they send the completed app to them, you only need sign it when you pick up your car. Makes a lot more sense that way.

I think one reason they don't tell you the rate is so that the dealer can mark it up if they want to. Or play other games with it like "buy this warranty and I will give you a better rate" when in fact you qualify for the better rate based on your score.

The answer to the question is straight from the Honda page:

2.9% APR financing for 24-36 months and 4.9% APR financing for 37-60 months available to customers who qualify for the AHFC Super Preferred credit tier

So you would need a 710 or 730 or over (I can't remember which Honda considers tier 1) or a co-signer with those numbers to get the cheap rate.

Dennis
  • Options
    etschreiberetschreiber Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2007 Civic LX Sedan with a 5 speed manual transmission at Robertson Honda in North Hollywood, California.

I paid:

$15,845.00 (price)
    $55.00 (doc fee)
    $1311.75 (sales tax)
    $167.00 (License fee)
    $8.75 (California Tire fee)

for an out the door price of:

$17,387.50.

I also got the 2.9% financing. I unfortunately let them talk me into $3,000 down but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to put anything down. Anyway, 2.9% for 36 months on 14,387.50 comes to 418.27 per month. Given that I planned to pay cash, this was a welcome surprise.

I believe I also could have gotten a few hundred bucks less on the price. Probably at least down to invoice of $15,616. Frankly, after so much shopping for different cars, I just wanted to buy the damn thing. I guess that is the ultimate strategy of the car industry. They wear down the saps like me.

Also, as an aside, one always hears "+ tax, title and license." It was curious to me that the title fee was 0 for me. Is it usually 0?
  • Options
    (I can't remember which Honda considers tier 1) or a co-signer with those numbers to get the cheap rate.

Well, if you can't remember or don't know what score tier 1 is, then you're really not answering the question either.

With the last two Honda deals I did I had to sit and fill out a paper app at the dealership even though I was "pre-approved"

I didn't have that experience with AHFC. My experience was more like your BMW experience. The dealership said he could pull up the info on his AHFC and all I had to do was sign and drive. I didn't have to fill out a second paper application.
  • Options
    Well it is 710 or 730, which I am guessing a recent grad would not be up to - in either case it is a better answer than nothing :D .

It has been a bit since I did the Honda pre-qualify thing so maybe they have it worked out. Mazda, Nissan, and any number of other car companies have/had the same "bug" in their pre-qual systems.

Dennis
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Bought on 9/29 for $18,400 + tax and included mud guards.
  • Options
    frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    Just bought an '08 LX auto sedan for $17,300 + 6.25% tax and $100 title. After checking with several Houston area dealers, the lowest price I got was $17,166, but the dealer I ultimately went with is the one from whom I have purchased three other Hondas in the past six years, is reputable and has a great service department.