Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    capt_billcapt_bill Member Posts: 4
    Dennis, your comment about insurance replacement value of 07 compared to 08 is valid and an excellent comment. Thank you, Capt. Bill
  • Options
    scottashelbyscottashelby Member Posts: 1
    i just bought the lx with road side assistance. for 16,800. I had very little sales tax because of a trade in. But sounds like a very good deal. I went to several honda dealers in the tampa area and that was the best offer.

I think you got a great offer!!
  • Options
    anlinaanlina Member Posts: 52
    I'm in Southern CA. Robertson Honda. It's for an 07, automatic.

Are those out the door prices? If so, I think they're good. I'm surprised they said no to negotiating. I'd say to keep trying. :)
  • Options
    Thanks scottashelby. Enjoy your new car! :)
  • Options
    rambus2rambus2 Member Posts: 6
    Do not be surprised when they say no to negotiating.

I don't expect them to say 'Our price is 20000, but we are ready to negotiate down to 19000 or 18500".
  • Options
    mzbluemzblue Member Posts: 14
    thanks, i was just able to negotiate a deal for $16.7 with splash guard + tax and title. that's the best deal i've gotten so far. I still feel i can get a much better deal....i'm trying to push for $16,600 or 16.7 with free window tinting. if i could drive to ohio, i would but i don't think a total of 800+ miles is worth $200 + my time.
    your post certainly gave me the audacity to ask a lower price.
  • Options
    civic2kcivic2k Member Posts: 18
    I'm just looking for a cheap/reliable daily driver, and having owned a few Civics before I know I can't go wrong here. I'd probably be going for a base Civic LX coupe w/manual transmission...
  • Options
    abatraabatra Member Posts: 35
    I got this quote for an 07 LX Coupe AT:

Base Price Incl. destination: 16,155
    6.5% Tax: 1050
    Plates: 236
    Title: 86

Total: 17,527

Does this sound reasonable? Every other dealer I have talked to in the area seems to think its impossible.

The 08 is going for 17,500 base but does the difference justify the higher price? I am more inclined towards the 07.
  • Options
    Abatra,

Could you tell me what dealer gave you that quote?

Thanks!

Anlina
  • Options
    dalmiavlkdalmiavlk Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy a new 2007/2008 CIVIC couple LX in the dallas area? Can anybody provide me with some prices that have been paid recently? Thanks
  • Options
    files_fanfiles_fan Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy the EX-L manual in the next month in the boston met area. I already have the online figures for msrp and invoice. Has anyone out there bought one yet from this area, and if so can you share the numbers and the city the dealer is in? Also considering the 08 EX-L Auto depending on the numbers. thanks
  • Options
    esomniacesomniac Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone (and maybe this'll help files_fan)

Just got back from a MA dealer (Boch) and wanted to update you on my pricing and lease that I got. This may help you get some perspective on the deals out.

I'm paying $230 a month for 36 months w/ 15K miles this was with $619 due at signing (doc fees & first payment). To be honest I cannot remember for the life of me what the purchase price was exactly. I received a virtually identical quote from Herb Chambers for $237 a month (w/ pretty much the same terms otherwise). They quoted me $16,629 and a money factor of .00207.

I called up Boch on the phone and was able to haggle down the original quote of $236 down 6 whole dollars. They kept saying that they were going to lose money and were selling it to me for below invoice. True or not, it was the closest I could get to the monthly price I wanted (w/o putting any money down). If you're getting a lease don't put any money down!!!

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What model did you end up leasing... LX or EX?

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    jane999jane999 Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote for 2007 Honda civic EX AUTO w/Navi $19900. May I get the 2008 style with the same price?
  • Options
    Is Honda civic?Ex or EX-L?Civic has EX-L?Auto or Manual?Thanks!
  • Options
    Is it your out door price for your 2008 Sedan EX auto w/navi?Which state?tax percent?Thanks!
  • Options
    k_olamk_olam Member Posts: 7
    hi there, how much do u think is a good price for the ex coupe manual trans. whats the invoice u've heard and by how much do u think one can go below the invoice
  • Options
    ajsinghajsingh Member Posts: 3
    it is a 2008- 4 door ex-l(leather) with auto trans and navigation system
  • Options
    rsquarevrsquarev Member Posts: 3
    I got this car for $16,885 (selling price TT&L extra) in twincities MN on 10/29. Also I got extended warranty 6yr/100,000miles for $1000. Is that a good deal? I have chance to cancel this extended warranty within 60days. i was not interested of taking the extended warranty. But I took it to think of it, anyway I have chance to cancel within 60days. Is it a good idea of keeping the extended warranty? Let me know your ideas.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Is it a good idea of keeping the extended warranty?

Check http://www.myhondawarranty.com/ and see what prices they offer for the same warranty. Chances are they'll sell it cheaper than a $1,000. If so, you'd be better off canceling and buying it from them.
  • Options
    This is awesome! My local dealership had rates 3-4 times the rates listed here. How did you find this?
  • Options
    Hi rsquarev,

What dealership did you get this from and what color? Can you give me your OTD price on this?

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    dalmiavlkdalmiavlk Member Posts: 5
    Here is a quote I got from a Dallas area TX dealership. Is this good?

2008 CIVIC LX AUTO - 16998 + TTL
  • Options
    rlbsjrrlbsjr Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote of $20,190 (includes destination) from a dealership in the Orange County, California area. Does anyone have any info on whether this is a good deal?

Consumer Reports only had pricing info on manual transmissions but this seemed good based on what they gave as the bottom line price for a manual.
  • Options
    frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    That is a good price in my opinion. I got a low price of $17,100 from a Houston area dealer last month and ended up paying $17,300 at the dealer I have bought 3 other Hondas from...they have a great service dept. and I don't mind sacrificing $200 for peace of mind.
  • Options
    christopher960christopher960 Member Posts: 4
    What's the lowest (or average) price people have seen posted in here for an 2008 Honda Civic EX Sedan without leather? How about the LX sedan?

Also, what body color does everyone think looks the best with the new Honda Civic's??

I really like the opal blue silver metallix n the Civic Hybrid but I don't want the Hybrid model.
  • Options
    houstons80houstons80 Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys.

Man I hate the layout of edmunds message boards very hard to follow anything.

I am looking for a Civic LX AT MSRP at the standard $18,395 package as list on the Honda website.

I have been quoted by Goodson in Houston at $17,600+TTL. That price does not get me overly enthused.

From what I can gather some of you are getting in the $16,900 range +TTL but most do not list the MSRP...Are you $16900'ers getting a car with a MSRP around $18,395?????

I also got a quote from Bankston in Lewisville for 19,300, but that includes their $852 worth of junk dealer add ons. I would steer clear of Bankston Honda. They told me if I came down and gave them $500 they would hold me a car off the truck so I would not have to pay the add on fees of $852...NEXT!

Boiling down to it I want the payments that some have here of about $240 with $600-700 out of pocket on a 3 year 15K lease. What do I need to get sales price to get there? Thank you in advance!!
  • Options
    Frank,

Hey I am in Houston also.

What dealer(s) did you get that $17100 from? I was quoted $17600 from Goodson. I'd take that 100 or 300.
  • Options
    rlbsjrrlbsjr Member Posts: 2
    On Saturday, I went to a local Honda dealership looking to purchase a 2008 Civic.

I had already gotten a quote via the Internet and had settled on a price with the salesman via email and telephone. In working it out, he told me that if they didn't have the color I wanted on the lot when I came in, they were getting new shipments all the time and they also had the ability to do a "dealer swap" with other dealerships in the area.

I went to the dealership, looked over what they had and told them I was most interested in getting a silver one. The saleswoman checked and said that while they didn't have a silver one on the lot (I wanted an EX with navigation) the exact one I wanted was scheduled to arrive in a shipment the very next day. She then turned me over to their "finance guy" to work out pricing. He informed me that the deal I had worked out before coming in was only for a car already on the lot and he couldn't give me a yet-to-arrive car for that price. This was despite what the other salesman I had worked with told me about "dealer swaps" and everything.

He said they have some sort of point system with Honda where they get more points for selling cars that have been on the lot longer. Has anyone else run into this argument? It didn't seem right to me. I can understand how the dealership would prefer to sell older cars first but not to the point of saying there's some price differential between an 08 that's been on the lot for a week or two and one that's newly arrived.

I held firm on the commitment I received despite some really heavy-handed techniques from the salesman. At one point he said, "so what you're saying is that it's your way or the highway?". No, what I am saying is that I expect you to honor your agreement. Also, the email I got from the salesman with the final price quote stated that the offer was good for 72 hours. I got that email on Friday evening so the quote would last beyond the point that the silver one was scheduled to arrive on Sunday.

I would like to know, though, if there was anything to his argument or if it was nothing but an attempt to renegotiate the deal I had already made.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,403
    Don't sweat it... He was just trying to bump you.. If the car was truly arriving the next day, and the deal was acceptable, then they would have jumped on it..

It's possible that they low-balled you on the internet quote. And, that they wouldn't have honored it, in any event.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rikrakrikrak Member Posts: 31
    Walk out, look it's a car dealer a fair profit is fine but they are out to make money. Since you are in the Edmunds Forum go to "Tips & Advice" and read

Confessions of a Car Salesman

There are lots of dealers and the Internet is a good way to get a more level playing field. Lot's of people blow lots of smoke on these forums but find out from Edmounds or Blue Book just what the car really costs the dealer. Look a 2008 Civic LX Auto Coupe has an MSRP of $17,560 and an INVOICE of $16,166 ya'all can do all the OTD price you want but those are the two real numbers to deal with NO trade NO TAX look at the car price. The current destination charge is $635 unless there is some really compelling reason the Dealer is going to add that to the price which makes the Invoice $16,801 that is what the dealer needs to end up at $0 (well there are some "kick backs" but forget that) so even though some here claim to have bought the car for like $12 it's probably NOT true. Now the dealer NEEDS to make money too but if he can sell everyone for top dollar you are not going to get a great deal. I'd say a fair mark-up is $500-$800 you need to decide what you feel is fair then stick to it. I did my entire deal online I told them (online) that I would come in and sign when the deal was done and NO additions. In my case (last year) we agreed at $17,300 no NOT the VERY BEST DEAL in the world. However, a fair price I felt and to the dealers credit the paperwork was prepared and was complete within 15 minutes. Do NOT let a dealer bully you, on the other hand understand that they need to make a profit. Best time to buy is the end of the month and if you can wait a bit is January or February as everyones broke from Christmas. :shades:
  • Options
    frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    The low quote of $17,100 was from Sterling McCall Honda in Kingwood, which Goodson agreed to match. I ultimately purchased the car from Streater-Smith Honda in Conroe for $17,300. I was in and out of the dealership in 20 minutes -you can email at fcario6241@aol.com and I will tell you the salesman's name (Am I correct in thinking that we are not allowed to divulge this information in the forum?)
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,just purchased a brand new 08 civic lx 2dr coupe with auto yesterday for 17,500.00.....plus TTT.....iam a 1st time honda owner and on the way home from the dealer i was very impressed with the car...this car feels like a little mercedes nice and tight with a good quality feel all around and is definitly worlds better than the 07 rabbit that i traded in for the civic....my color is atomic blue metalic with pinstripes....will give updates....steve
  • Options
    ohplezzohplezz Member Posts: 74
    He is giving you his pitch to get more gross off of you. He is lying to you. I sold cars for years. He is dressing up some BS point system talk for you to tack on the gross. Tell him, "Give me the deal we had or I'll go some place else and they will" If he does not, get up and walk out the door. Period. Watch him run and beg for blowing you out. Do not give away power in a deal. Make them work for your bizz. When dealing over a car you have to present a take it or leave it attitude to a sales rep or F&I. Don't be rude or mean, just have a matter of fact way about you. The less you talk the better off you are.
    And as far as the above poster concerned about the poor dealer making his profit, Trust me they do but it ain't off new cars. If if you buy it on invoice they are still getting the HB and volume bonus if they keep them moving. The saleman will get a mini comm. Dealers make money off the service department (big money), used cars, and F&I. New cars just get them on the lot. The internet killed the new car bizz. Go on the last day of the month, hopefully the weather will be bad and play a couple of dealers off each other. You will get what you want if you play it right. Just be polite, yet very firm.
    Always remember. The one who wants the deal the worst, gets the worst deal. You have to being ready and willing to walk away at any BS. ;)
  • Options
    fuelmizer1fuelmizer1 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased LX sedan on November 7th for $16600 plus TTL. at Honda of Pasadena.
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    This is awesome! My local dealership had rates 3-4 times the rates listed here. How did you find this?

I found it through the Honda Warranty forum here on Edmunds. To date, I haven't see a dealer offer lower extended warranties than the web-site I listed. To me, at those prices, it makes the extended warranty a no-brainer to purchase.
  • Options
    blipp39211blipp39211 Member Posts: 13
    Just want to do my part as this forum helped immensely. I sent one round of emails asking for OTD quotes and within 24 hrs, here is what I received. Several dealers did not respond. My advice, move on. Some dealers noted that we had to take a car off the lot. ALL quotes exclude TT&L fees since these vary by state. If doc fees were given, I added those in. MSRP is $18395, Invoice $16984.
    - Buffalo NY dealers: $17184 - $18394
    - Rochester NY dealers: $16884 (bought car from here - GREAT sales rep) - $17490
    - Syracuse NY dealers: $17184 - $18395
    - Utica NY dealers: $17485 - $17634
    - Albany NY dealer: $17284
    - Downstate NY dealer: $17264
    - Boston MA dealer: $17083
    - NJ dealer: $17244 (ended at $16784 to get our business)
    - VA dealer: $16961
    - PA dealer: $17695

Hold back is 2%.

The car is being delivered to our doorstep Tuesday. :)

Hope this helps!!!!
  • Options
    Bought this 07 LX Coupe AT today.
    Base Price Incl. destination: 16,155
    6.5% Tax: 1050
    Plates: 236
    Title: 86

Total: 17,527

Think its a decent price. The 08's had come down in november. I had an 08 coupe quote for about 16900....but decided to go with 07.
  • Options
    i just paid 17,500 plus ttt for a 08 civic 2dr LX auto down here in ft.laud,fla.......
  • Options
    novanova Member Posts: 135
    Do you mind telling us what dealer you got the car from?
  • Options
    no i don't mind,i purchased the car from pompano honda off of sample road ..very pleasant purchasing experience,this is a women owned dealership and i got a great price on the civic as well as a great trade-in amount for my pont g6....
  • Options
    gwdewgwdew Member Posts: 9
    Hey blipp39211,

Where exactly was the dealer in NJ that gave you the quote of 16784? I'm looking to purchase a 2008 Civic LX Sedan AT. I live in the north jersey area
  • Options
    What are you guys getting as payments? I am after a 3 year lease with minimal down on an 08 LX AT sedan. Sales price of $17200.

Thanks!
  • Options
    novanova Member Posts: 135
    Thanks for the info. I have purchased 4 honda's from them. I am in the market for a civic EX-L. I like the red with the dark gray interior but found out I have to take the coupe to get that color combination. I am going to the auto show today to see if something else catches me eye in the colors I want in a 4dr
  • Options
    i would definitly choose the coupe over the 4dr civic...the coupe is a very sharp car..i got mine in atomic blue metalic and i get compliments on this car everywhere i go.........
  • Options
    sja99sja99 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a Civic LX AT MSRP at the standard $18,395 package as list on the Honda website.
    In Northwest Ohio I got 2 quotes at 17,400 range in email.
    Mud flaps seem to be the way the dealer makes 100 to 200 dollars on you, as he puts them on for you and parts and service make some money.

(I was able to get 2007 Honda Civic quote at 100 over invoice, possible 17139, 2.9% financing was avail)

I liked the 2008 idea better.
    For the 2008 Honda Civic LX sedan 4dr Automatic transmission, the dealer would not go 100 over, but I was able to get a soft agreement at 17399 with mud flaps ($17 dollars cheaper than the email quote but mud flaps thrown in). Got home and checked email and saw a quote for 17,168 100 dollars over invoice of 17068 from another dealer. I asked this new dealer for mud flaps and he offered 17259 with the flaps at $75.

I ended up at getting the first dealer becuase of a better service dept and got the sales mgr over the phone to agree to 17300.

Then financing. I applied at a local bank for a car loan and was able to get the rate down .5% from what the finance mgr had agreed on over the phone. So from 6.79 with Honda fin, down to 5.44 it was worth it to go and apply for a car loan from the bank where my checking acct is because of the competive rate + .25% off for monthly deduction from my checking.
  • Options
    Those are good prices. About as low as you are going to get without all the funny business. Best price I found for that exact car was $17,135 no add-on's.
  • Options
    blipp39211blipp39211 Member Posts: 13
    Joyce Honda in Denville NJ. Don't know where that is, but you should be able to take their quote to a local dealer.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    nat1111nat1111 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted $16984 plus TTL in MI. How does this quote compare?
  • Options
    riahnnariahnna Member Posts: 8
    i got a quote online for 18,589.57, standard config ,before tax and stuff....'
    how's the quote sound? :confuse: :confuse:
    it's my first time purchasing a car so i have no clue