Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    i got a quote online for 18,589.57, standard config ,before tax and stuff....'
    how's the quote sound?

The dealer invoice cost for an EX Sedan auto is $17,955. So it looks like they want about $600 which is about 3% above invoice. That's not too bad, but you could still try and do better. Get some online quotes from other dealers and see if you can beat it. If you have somebody else willing to go lower, you can contact the first dealer and maybe they can come down some more.

Good luck.
  • Options
    riahnnariahnna Member Posts: 8
    There's another dealer giving me a quote of 1% over dealer invoice. But he doesn't state the exact amount of $$ he's offering, ( I did request for the exact amount which he did not directly answer) so i was wondering if there's any trick under it.... :(:(
  • Options
    houstons80houstons80 Member Posts: 9
    What are you guys getting on lease payments.
    Here is the deal I have in hand.
    MSRP: 18395 08 Civic LX 4DR Auto
    Sales Price: 17135+TTL
    15K Miles per year
    They are quoting me $324 per month for 36 months. With $600 give or take down.
    Seems way high to me. What should it be? I was thinking in the $230-$250 range.
  • Options
    There's another dealer giving me a quote of 1% over dealer invoice. But he doesn't state the exact amount of $$ he's offering, ( I did request for the exact amount which he did not directly answer) so i was wondering if there's any trick under it.

Sure there could be a trick under it. Edmunds gives you the invoice price---that's where I got the price I gave to you.

He should give you the actual dollar amount of the quote. And both dealers need to give you all fees that they're planning on charging you. Sometime they try to hold this back from you until you get to the dealership to sign your papers. But they will try to charge doc fees, prep fees, fees to put a security number on your windows, add accessories you do not want, etc.

Get them to commit to everything beforehand.
  • Options
    dalmiavlkdalmiavlk Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the tip. I finally settled on the price of $17050 + TTL and got a black civic coupe LX Auto. Appreciate your help
  • Options
    Try Lute Riley Honda, Richardson. I just got my 2008 Civic LX auto black for $17050 (includes dest+hndlg and accessories). Talk to Hussein
  • Options
    thx for the tips~~~It's really helpful
    And I was also wondering what fees are non negociatable, that i must pay?
    thx
  • Options
    Plz provide your email for more info
  • Options
    ok, i've asked the first dealer, he gave me the quote of
    OTD=$18,589.57(including destination fee) +Tax+dmv
    is there any lower i could ask for? :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    uclakkuclakk Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can I have the dealership's name? I am from the California too. Thanks
  • Options
    blipp39211blipp39211 Member Posts: 13
    $16984 is invoice which is a good deal. Only two dealers were willing to sell below invoice by either $100 or $200. Since holdback is 2% (~$340), they can't go much lower.
  • Options
    bnzapilotbnzapilot Member Posts: 3
    What prices out the door are you guys getting?
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i paid 17,500.00 for my 08 civic coupe lx auto before TTT....every state is different as far as TTT is concerned......down here in ft.laud fla my OTD price came to
  • Options
    jswwishjswwish Member Posts: 3
    I bought a Civic LX 4 door 08 automatic today

16,680 + TTL

I had read all the buyer's experience from here
    it was really helpfull. therefore, i'm leaving my experience
    the most of dealers in Philadelphia had offered me 17000 for it. however,
    i eventually got it at 16,680
  • Options
    Yesterday I bought an EX sedan with leather and navigation system. I got a quote from Honda West in Las Vegas on the internet for $21,495 + $399 doc fees + TTL. It's a great car!
  • Options
    k_olamk_olam Member Posts: 7
    Guys I need a good price on th 07 civic coupe in the EX Manual trans, has anyone bought recently and I know some pretty good deals would be cut as this is end of year, the dealership i went to cannot go below 17700, they claim the invoice is 18700 and cannot go more than a thousand below, but i saw the invoice on yahoo auto's as 17172, I'm in OC Cali, and i'm looking to get this ride before the month runs out,
    just need to be more armed with some real buying figures from u guys b4 i proceed,
    I feel i should be able to get it at arround 16500 considering the fact that its manual, a coupe and they'd like the 07s' to leave their lots with 2007.

Pls guys I would be very greatful to get ur responses
    thanx
  • Options
    wheelanddealwheelanddeal Member Posts: 2
    Where in Philadelphia did you purchase your LX civil?
  • Options
    ohplezzohplezz Member Posts: 74
    Has anyone been able to get a new civic ex coupe MT for invoice in these towns. I'm not buying now, probably in late feb of next year. I'm from nyc so I don't know anything about the dealers in AZ. In nyc its not that hard to get a deal. Are their any volume dealers in southern AZ willing to make invoice deals?
  • Options
    the dealership i went to cannot go below 17700, they claim the invoice is 18700 and cannot go more than a thousand below, but i saw the invoice on yahoo auto's as 17172,

Well, yahoo doesn't include the $635 destination charge which is a part of the dealer's invoice price. If you look up the price on Edmunds you will see that the true invoice price is closer to 17,807. However, that is still far away from the 18,700 invoice they are claiming.

They are basically trying to sell you a 2007 car for just under invoice which isn't such a great deal because you could get a 2008 for a few hundred more at some dealerships and end up with a higher resale value when you sell it.
  • Options
    ronin5ronin5 Member Posts: 14
    Friends, what are you seeing in the way of added Honda Civic dealer fees? A am not talking about tax & title & tags.

In Nothern Ohio, it seems all the dealers (except one) add a $250 "Documentary Fee."

This is pretty much across the board, and has the effect of raising the Invoice+Delivery charges by $250. They add it on top of everything.

I believe this charge is just padding, but is uniform in this geography, and wonder what others are seeing.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    The State of Ohio caps document fees at $250...

So, just about every dealer sets their fee at that amount, and then will tell you that the State requires it... Not true, of course..

Ask about fees first, then adjust your offer accordingly.. It is strictly a profit center for the dealership.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rsalasrsalas Member Posts: 14
    Guys, the best price you will be able to negotiate is $16420 on the LX cpe auto. and $18140 on the Ex auto. LX manual $15714.00. Ex manual $17434. Plus tax tag and dealer fees. Any questions shoot me an e-mail.
    :)
  • Options
    novanova Member Posts: 135
    The #'s you are quoting are they invoice ?. What state are you in? What is your good price on an 08 civic EX-L coupe with auto trans?
    Thanks from FL.
  • Options
    I am in FL. That is a below invoice deal. Minus the holdback. $19.199 will be the best you can pay for an EX-L plus taxes,tag and $599.00 fees in Miami. :)
  • Options
    danielt70danielt70 Member Posts: 7
    I live in the Buffalo, New York area and have close access to four (4) dealerships (Lia Honda, West Herr Honda, Don Davis Honda and Ray Laks Honda). I'm familiar with the MSRP's, invoice and holdback (2% or 3% of MSRP?) pricing. Invoice is $18,589.57. MSRP is $20,145.00. Both prices include destination. I don't know if the holdback figure is accurate. I'm also waiting until December for any programs that may help my price.

My questions are:

Is there an additional cost for an "on order" trade, when a dealership trades with another dealership for a car on order that's currently being built but not shipped yet?

Does Honda have a history of offering an extra special incentive between Christmas and New Year's?

What is a fair, going-rate for the car I'm after? I know it will vary from state-to-state and dealership-to-dealership. I'd like to know what everyone else paid/is being asked to pay for a Civic Coupe EX Auto or similiar vehicle. Should I expect anything close to invoice, especially with gas prices the way they are?

Thanks,

-Dan
  • Options
    brianjandreaubrianjandreau Member Posts: 67
    $16542 + TTL

I purchased today.
  • Options
    k_olamk_olam Member Posts: 7
    Hey peeps, need the prices for these dealer fees in Orange County CA,
    CA tire fee-$
    License Fee- $
    Doc fee-$
    I know my Tax would be 7.75%
    Just don't want any surprises on added fees, cos I'll be bargaining from the invoice point of view on the 07 EX civic coupe MT.
    Be expecting your responses, thanx
  • Options
    mdbrmdbr Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 Honda Civic EX Sedan with an automatic transmission for $17,606 which includes the destination charge. The only additional fees were California Sales Tax, DMV fees, and a documentation fee. This purchase was made at a dealer in the San Francisco East Bay Area. They have several 2007 EX models left.
  • Options
    The lowest you can probably get is $18.140.00 for an ex auto sedan. I don't know how strong the competition is in CA for Honda. Here in FL I have about 5 dealers all close to the one I work in. As far as all the other fees are concerned, I would not know. The only one you can negotiate is de Dealer fees. The rest are State and they will not budge. If they charge you $600 dealer fees. Consider that an excellent deal. :)
  • Options
    myrebates2myrebates2 Member Posts: 4
    Is 16,000+Destination+TTL a good price for the 2008 Civic LX -Auto transmission? Please advice.
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Good morning rsalas. Is the Director of e commerace working on sunday?
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    That's a very good price. I paid 16k for our 07, LX, auto back in July and that was the lowest price I could get here in the Boston, MA area. Good luck!.
  • Options
    zeus3zeus3 Member Posts: 5
    Brian, I'm also looking for 08 Civiv sedan LX AT , where you bought yours and salesman person if in NJ area.

Did you used the eSales department?
  • Options
    zeus3zeus3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm new to the forum who is Director of e commerce? Any advice when trying to use the e Sales Department for buying a 08 Honda civic?
  • Options
    Its a member on edmunds that helps out buyers of Hondas. in South FL. I am trying to get in contact with him to see if he can help me with the purchase of a new Honda. I posted early Sunday morning so as soon as he logs on I am sure you will see who he is. I am pretty sure he will answer my post.
  • Options
    Yes I will be working today sunday. :)
  • Options
    bjc8bjc8 Member Posts: 1
    Great price! I live in the Bay Area and am looking for a 2007 Civic EX, can you name the dealership where you bought your car?
  • Options
    I'm not in the NJ area, but I am in New England. Whenever I buy a car, I purchase the Consumer Reports new car price report for $14 because it informs me of things like the dealer holdback, which is a percentage of the MSRP that the manufacturer holds and then gives back to the dealership sometime after the sale. The dealer holdback, according to Consumer Reports, for the '08 Civic LX (auto) was just over $500. The dealer invoice minus the holdback put me at $16542. I did not deduct the destination charge when I made my offer.

Then, I sent an e-mail simply stating that I wanted to by a new Civic LX (auto) for $16542 to every dealership within 2 hours of my home (there are four). Two dealerships responded. One counter offered at $16900 and change. The other accepted my offer "as long as I bought by the end of the month." We communicated back and forth via e-mail about color and financing (once I established a price for the car, I asked if he could beat the rate I got at my bank). Once everything was settled, I made an appointment with the sales person.

When I arrived, all I needed to do was sign papers. I brought the e-mails with me but didn't need them. They offered extras, but I declined.

It is so much easier doing this online than going into the dealership. Last time I did that, I was there for five hours!!! Never again...

Let me know if you have questions.
  • Options
    carcar7carcar7 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this helpful information. I see that your 16542 price includes destination, but does it include tax, fees, and/or title?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    No. That price was before taxes, title, other fees. Out the door was around 17300. I don't have it in front of me but it was between 17300 and 17400.

I think there is a little bit of negotiating room on the fees but not taxes or title, which are state mandated.
  • Options
    sukeetsukeet Member Posts: 5
    I got two quotes today:

1. 2007 ex w/ navi for 19800 incl. destination and
    2. 2008 ex-l w/ navi for 20260 excl. destination.

After reading thru the messages I realize the first deal is crap. Are these quotes reasonable?
  • Options
    brandonguybrandonguy Member Posts: 3
    Does this sound like a good deal or do I have some room to bargin?

Civic LX Sedan Auto: 16,9999
    Tire/battery fee: 8.50
    Registration fee: 24
    dealer fee: 599.99
    tax (6%): 1,057.89
    tag: 190
    County Tax: 50.00
    Lemon law: 2.00

OTD: 18,931.38

I'm in Tampa, FL...
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    The $600 dealer fee is high. I believe I paid $299 when we bought our 07 LX auto in July for $16K. I remember seeing a post or two that stated a purchased of a new 08 LX for closer to 16K. Regions of the country to vary, however. Both the lemon law and tire/battery fee's are a first for me.
  • Options
    mav88mav88 Member Posts: 3
    That's a great price! Can you send me the name of the dealership and sales person you worked with?

Much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hello,

I'd like to do a price sanity check.

I live in California (San Francisco Bay Area) and got a price quote of $16,800 for a 2008 Honda Civic LX sedan automatic. The price includes destination, but excludes tax and license. Is this a fair / good price?

Thanks!
  • Options
    pal14pal14 Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell me where you got that consumer report from? Also, would holdbacks vary by region? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    neilp116neilp116 Member Posts: 2
    I live in New Jersey and bought an Automatic 08 civic coupe with leather and navi for 23,200 out of the door. That was my final price including fees and everything.

I paid 60 below invoice plus NJ STATE TAX 7 % and dealer document fees etc.

Final price was 23,200. Color is White.

Did I get a good price, fair price, or ripped off? What are others paying?
  • Options
    That was actually a price from the dealership, not from a report. I've heard holdbacks are around 2% for a Civic, but don't quote me on that. :)
  • Options
    sampat2sampat2 Member Posts: 5
    brianjandreau:
    Could you please explain "other fees"? Does the price 16542 include dealer documentation fee, destination charge, etc?
    Thx.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if holdbacks vary by region or not. You can get the report from Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org). The info. should be under cars; look for the New Car Price Report link. If you can't find it, let me know, and I can e-mail you a link.

I talked to the sales guy today about my purchase, and he said that one of the reasons he was happy to negotiate was b/c he wanted to pad his numbers before the end of the month. I think there is a lot of movement this week, as well as the end of next month (perhaps more so next month).

Brian