Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    brianjandreaubrianjandreau Member Posts: 67
    $16542 was the price for the car, including the destination charge.

When I mentioned "other fees," these were fees added to the selling price. They were state tax (about $800), documentation ($250), and title ($30).

You could even try to offer less destination and holdback. Given the market I live in, I didn't believe that would happen, and I was right because only one dealership out of four was willing to accept the $16542 offer. Another dealership counter offered at 16900 or so but wouldn't match the first dealership when I wrote back to them.
  • Options
    danielt70danielt70 Member Posts: 7
    brianjandreau,

If you could be so kind, if you still have access to the Consumer Reports report, would you mind posting the holdback for an '08 Civic Coupe EX (not L and no Navi, just a base EX).

Thanks in advance,

-Dan
  • Options
    brianjandreaubrianjandreau Member Posts: 67
    About $560. I don't have exact numbers because I don't have info. on the coupe, but the sedan ex holdback is $561.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    lfc4evrlfc4evr Member Posts: 8
    I have a quote from a PA dealer for an OTD price of $19,873.30 (including everything, i.e. taxes, tag, title). I live in NJ (will pay NJ 7% tax) but this dealer is not too far from where I live. I have two questions:

1. Is this a good price, and if not how low can I go? (the base price offered for this deal is around $18,300, which includes dest. fee)
    2. Do I need to watch out for something when buying a car in a state different from where I reside?

Thanks guys, appreciate any help!!
  • Options
    novanova Member Posts: 135
    Sounds like a good price to me . I live in south FL. The sales tax is 6%. I paid 20,033.39 OTD for a EX coupe auto transmission.
  • Options
    janicearyanjanicearyan Member Posts: 4
    Just wante dto elt you know after beating up 6 dealers in Massachusetts we were able to buy a brand new for $17700 total
    HOpe you all do as well
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you know after beating up 6 dealers in Massachusetts we were able to buy a brand new for $17700 ... OTD price was 18899 which was 885 sales tax 295 doc fee and 35 sticker
    HOpe you all do as well . Remember hone in on what exact model you want then get 5-6 dealers to quote you their lowest.. (we did 6 dealers went from 19100 to 17700..lowest few were withing 100 bucks of each other
  • Options
    ozzyny1ozzyny1 Member Posts: 4
    Congrats to you and your great deal. I want almost the exact car but in a five speed. I agree that picking one model and trim line is a great tool for negotiating. I am curious what your initial offer was? Was it in person or on line? I am in upstate New York and have at least 6 dealers to make offers to.Again congrats and enjoy your new car.
  • Options
    Ozzy.. My husband went to 6 dealers 5 in person and one of the lowest (only $100 higher) gave his quote on the phone. Dealers first offerings were 19000 and invoice 18594.. needless to say 17700 is along way off. good luck in your search. I would think the manual should be 800 less so around 17000 is doable
  • Options
    sampat2sampat2 Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased Civic 08 4D AT. Here are the details:
    Price of the car: 15773
    Dealer/Doc Fee: 599.75
    Sales Tax: 982.37
    GA Title, etc: 21.00
    Finance: 2.9% Honda.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Thanks for your input. I have always been in favor of listing the price of the car, as opposed to the price "out the door", as price out the door hides prices/costs and raises more questions than it answers.
  • Options
    jaanbazjaanbaz Member Posts: 5
    ">Hi There,

I like your split up of the car. I am lookingto buy one by next month. I would apprecaite if you can tell me the dealer name, I will go and purchase it to :)
  • Options
    rambus2rambus2 Member Posts: 6
    What trim is it? DX or LX ?
    If it is LX, it sounds too good.

Do you have problems if you reveal the Dealership name?
    If not, tell us the dealer name and location.
  • Options
    Initial price was $200 higher and included: 1) trunk tray, 2) splash guards and 3) wheel locks. They could not get it installed that late in the evening, so gave me $200 off.
    Buying splash guards from BernardiParts.com @ 41.74 + 9.57 (shipping).

Hope this info helps.

Thx to this forum and you ALL.
  • Options
    rambus2rambus2 Member Posts: 6
    Great deal,

Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    crash2008crash2008 Member Posts: 5
    I just called Willett Honda, and people @ sales told me that they could sell LX for around $16.200. And out-the-door it will be about 16.900.

:confuse:
  • Options
    Does 16900 include dealer/doc fees, sales tax, title fee?
    Assuming it is for LX 4D AT, that is evern better :surprise: :confuse:
  • Options
    I told them that someone (YOU) bought 08 LX AT 4D @ $16372.75 (all included = includes EVERYTHING = out-the-door).

But they said that the cheapest they can do is about $16.200 (car + delivery). Which make the total price (all included = includes EVERYTHING = out-the-door) $16.900.

How’s that better than 16372.75 you paid? :)
  • Options
    Anyway …

I am going to one of the North Carolina dealerships tomorrow to get my bare (no options, no trade, cash)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 5-Spd AT

for

16500 Car
    400 Fee
    500 NC State Tax (3%)
    70 Tag
    ===============================
    17500 Total

If anyone thinks that I shouldn’t PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! :)
  • Options
    My out of the door calculation included gov tax, fees, etc.
    15773 (car price with destination)
    + 600 (dealer/doc fee)
    + 982 (sales tax)
    + 21 (title)
    ----------------------------------
    = 17376 (total)

I assume you are not from NC because you are going there. If true, why would they charge you the sales tax there? :confuse:
  • Options
    Ohhh… Okay. I guess I won't be paying that much more then:

17.5 vs. 17.4

Not worth driving to GA. We all will be swapping these metal boxes for bikes some time very soon anyway. :D;)

I am in Fayetteville, NC. :)
  • Options
    tmathew1tmathew1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2008 Honda Civic LX , Manual for $15,000 . Note that the sales tax , doc fess and reg fees are not included. Can anybody beat that ???
  • Options
    lisasmithlisasmith Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I am new to this forum. I am looking to buy a honda civic LX AT, 4 dr sedan. I am based in seattle, washington

How much should i be paying for this and any dealer recommendations would be great. Thank you all for any tips
  • Options
    gwdewgwdew Member Posts: 9
    How much should I pay for a Civic LX 4-dr AT in the northern new jersey area? If I ask 16,500 will the dealer laugh at me?
  • Options
    fermat2fermat2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm also curious, what was his initial offer? How did he negotiate such a great price?
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    well folks i have had my civic for 1 month now and all is well...this is my first honda and it won't be my last either....car handles great,looks great, feels very well made....and the gas mileage is great also.....i am still useing the dealers free tank of gas when i bought the car a month ago and still have about a quarter tank left...not bad at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve
  • Options
    seachunk2seachunk2 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2007 Civic EX Coupe with manual transmission for $16,900 including destination. The sticker price was $19,305 including destination. Sales tax & Reg fee was extra. Plan on keeping this car until it dies [or someone steals it like they did my 1995 Civic Cx with 180k miles]. I didn't mind buying the '07 EX for the same price that the '08 LX would have cost. I like all the EX goodies and I'm unaware of any '07 v '08 differences.
    Did I get a decent price? Puchased on Long Island if that matters.
  • Options
    hkim123hkim123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I plan to buy 08 Honda Civic LX in bay area. I don't know what price is good and which dealer can give me good price.
    Anybody had experience, please share the information. the price and dealer info.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    newbuyer12newbuyer12 Member Posts: 1
    hi, all, i am looking to buy my very first car. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

My question is: what price are people getting (including destination charge, but excluding everything else such as tax, title & license) in NY tri-state area right now.

I browsed thru many helpful posts on this board. Matching prices for this particular model seems to fluctuate a lot (from ~ 16500 to ~ 17500). Just want to set a reference point before I start facing those sales warriors.

Thanks a lot!!
  • Options
    btgolfbtgolf Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Could someone let me know if this is a good deal in Southern Cal for a 2008 Civic EX-L, No Navigation package..

$347 month

$642 "down" includes 1st month and some fees(bank) but no cap reduction

12k/year, 36 month lease.

I know there are not a lot of details here, just wanted a general sense if this is a good deal.

Thanks...
  • Options
    santacruz1966santacruz1966 Member Posts: 1
    For what is worth, I live in So Cal and I just purchased a 2008 Civic 4 dr AT for $16,754 (includes destination charge). Excludes all other docs and lincence fees. Based on what I am reading here looks like I over paid. I would like to hear from any one who has recently bought a Civic in the SoCal area as to what they paid.

Thanks,
  • Options
    rlm3rlm3 Member Posts: 5
    Picking up my new 2007 civic, 108 miles out the door at 18996 with tax/reg/lic transfer/bumper/wheel guard/door guard at $524 package. purchase price 16,378+tax and all the other 'paper work stuff'. List price was 18395 so happy with my purchase and price...Merry Christmas to me in CT on shore. May purchase within 90 days to get guarantee the front bra to cover bumper, as on my first civic, found the paint pitted and came off with the typical road stuff..this one is metalic blue, other was silver so will really show on this car. Would recomend any honda buyers ask for a couple of tubes of 'touch up paint' on purchase for the little dings of road rocks.
    lrm3, CT shore New London
  • Options
    pks222pks222 Member Posts: 12
    To all you potential civic buyers: I would suggest that you consider the 08 Toyota Corolla. Rebates and the 09 coming out in February makes for a buyers market,
    And Toyotas quality is as good as the Hondas IMO.
  • Options
    zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    I am about to purchase a Civic LX Sedan w/ manual transmission in San Diego. Does anyone know what the current prices are in San Diego, LA, or Orange County? Thanks greatly.
  • Options
    abhisam1abhisam1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

As advised by some of the gurus on this forum, I requested internet quotes from all the Honda dealers in Southern Cali. I want to buy a 2008 Civic Hybrid Sedan with Navigation.

The lowest quote I have received so far is $22,852. Do you think this is a good price or should I try to bring the dealer down further? And if so, by how much do you think the dealer may come down?

I am in desperate need of a car and have to buy it in 3-4 days :(

- abhisam1
  • Options
    jlflickjlflick Member Posts: 4
    I'm down to either a Corolla LE or a Civic LX 4dr. auto. From what I've seen, the Civic is the better choice even with the present Corolla $1000 cashback. I've not driven either yet, but all the specs and opinions I've read about both make the Civic more desirable.

That being said, living in eastern PA., what might I expect for dealer offers for the vehicle and destination charge? Is the $16984 (incl destination) KBB Blue Book invoice unreachable? I can hold out until 12/28/07 or even 12/31 if that might make a difference. I'm walking in with cash, no financing. (ya gotta love those home equity loans.)

Also, what is the best vehicle for getting prices from dealers online? KBB's search, Honda's search or Consumer Reports search etc.? Anyone with any experience to share here?

I'm hoping to test drive a Corolla and a Civic and not do anymore negotiating in person. It's like buying a microwave, either I get it at BestBuy, Costco or Walmart.
    It's a appliance, not a personal purchase.

Thanks!
  • Options
    rlm3rlm3 Member Posts: 5
    Today picking up 2007 Lx 4dr/auto with 108 miles. $16,378, sticker, with 524 wheel/floormat/door package, trade 9,700(taking a bit of bite here, however damaged front end to the tune of 2500, 42000mi, standard ex, will probably hit their floor around 14/15 atleast...but happy I don't have to see on my own, and reduced my sales tax too! With this dealership, they don't make any allowances for cash, sticker price is what you pay...no BS as with typical dealerships...very nice transaction, and as a female, I don't feel I've been taken to the cleaners!Two year finance .9%, 4-5 year finance 4.9%...cardinal honda, CT out the door with 6574.12 financed at .9% 2yrs..payments around 282 mo.

Good Luck!rlm3
  • Options
    kale102kale102 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all - I'm looking to buy my first car and I was looking for some advice.

I'm looking to get a new Civic LX Sedan with AT and I live in the bay area.

Can anyone help me with a decent quote to set my mark at (I know invoice is 17,000 OTD...but how much is a reasonable price to argue for?) and if you know of any good dealerships in Northern California.

I have enough saved up to pay for it all upfront and I'm not sure how much constitutes a good offer and also, if I should wait around till nearer the end of the year or start looking now.

Thank you - I really would appreciate any help I can get!
  • Options
    gwdewgwdew Member Posts: 9
    Can I please get some input? These are the numbers I got, let me know if they sound good for the NY/NJ metro area.

15944 Car
    635 Dest.
    1160 Tax in NJ @ 7%
    7.50 Tire tax
    254 Reg/ Title fee
    199 Doc fee

DID I DO GOOD?
  • Options
    mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    I got quote of $16,984.47 for 08 Civic LX AT. Is this good price or I can do better. As per CR this is what the invoice price for Civic LX so I'm not sure if I have room for negotiating it below this. Anyone scored anything better than this ? And what area / delearship ?
  • Options
    irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    >> 199 Doc fee

is dealer profit
  • Options
    jmerjmer Member Posts: 4
    I am planning on buying a car in the next few months and loved the Si I just test drove. Most new ones I have seen on lots are mid to high 23s once the dealers tack on all the fees. I've heard you can get them for just over 20 or 21 though. Does anyone have any recent experiences?

I was also looking at used to possibly save a few K. Although its a Honda, the concept of buying a one year old Si makes me a little nervous because I have to wonder why it was already traded in- not broken in correctly, ridden too hard, etc. Is it worth buying an 06 or 07 with 20K for $19k from somewhere like Carmax/Honda dealer or for that difference is it better to just go new?
  • Options
    kale102kale102 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Mav88,

I also live in the Bay Area and I was wondering what dealerships you would recommend?

Thanks!
  • Options
    t3hreeg93t3hreeg93 Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking for an 08 Civic LX Sedan w/ a 5sp automatic in the Houston area. The best that I've been quoted was 16,784 including destination charges but excluding TTL.
    I feel that this is a competitive offer, but was wondering if the new Corolla coming out in Feb 08 would help drive down the asking price for an 08 Civic. I'm not interested in the new Corolla but was thinking it could be helpful as the Corolla usually outsells the Civic and dealerships might be more open to lower their asking price.
    If I sound nuts with my assumptions please don't flame me.

Thank you
  • Options
    wooderwooder Member Posts: 9
    Where in Houston?
  • Options
    t3hreeg93t3hreeg93 Member Posts: 2
    Clear Lake, Tx
  • Options
    wooderwooder Member Posts: 9
    Who was your sales person?
  • Options
    brandonguybrandonguy Member Posts: 3
    I think I'm going with this deal on an 08 civic 4dr LX in Tampa, FL. It seems to be an ok deal and they are willing do trade the car for a different color a few days later if needed (it's a christmas present). dealer also includes lifetime powertrain.

Price of car: 16,700
    Document fee: 99
    Delivery: 499
    WT & Lab Fee: 6.5
    Sales tax: 1088.27
    New Tag: 265
    MVWTF: 2

Total: 18,659.77

Does this seem like a good deal? It's just under the current TMV on edmunds (17304 vs 17556). Maybe have a couple oil changes tossed in for fun too.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dashboard85dashboard85 Member Posts: 1
    Could someone let me know if this is a good deal.

I got the price on a 08 Honda Civic Sedan EX Automatic for $20,083 OTD including tinted windows and a trunk tray in Hampton Roads, Virginia.
  • Options
    adrianpadrianp Member Posts: 2
    $20,083 OTD seems good for an EX Auto Sedan. My folks just bought the same car for $19,924 OTD in Florida.