Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    biokhemicabiokhemica Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2008 Civic coupe LX M/T at JL Freed in Lansdale PA for invoice. He was willing to do 4 cylinder accords at invoice as well. I paid in full with cash and no trade in.

Price Breakdown
    Purchase Price: $16067
    6% PA Tax: $964.02
    Tire Tax: $5
    Tag & Title Service: $58.50 (new plates, not plate transfer)
    Doc Fee: $55 (this will be the same at all PA dealers)

Total out the door = $17149.52

I had a very laid back salesman who was great to deal with and I would highly recommend. Once I mentioned I had already been quoted invoice online he immediately said he would match, no negotiations needed. He did not try to hard sell me on warranties and additional options. I can't post the salesman's name here, but if you're in the Philly area and interested, reply with your email address and I can give you the salesman's name and contact info.
  • Options
    pcmatt1024pcmatt1024 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 4/2 from Burne Honda in Scranton PA for invoice

breakdown:
    Purchase Price: $20240
    6% PA sales tax: $1214.40
    T&T: $63.50 (they added a $5 encumbrance??)
    new plate fee: $5
    Doc fee: $55
    Tire tax: $5
    Online Reg Fee??: $26

OTD: $21608.90

with $4500 down, got 4.79% from Honda. Probably 3.99% + dealer profit, but I couldn't do better than 5.24% on my own, so...

Dealt strictly with the Internet Sales Manager. Very limited haggling, standard cliche sales tactics, but absolutely no pressure. Overall, a good experience.
  • Options
    natalietnataliet Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just purchased a new black Civic EX MT from Markley Motors on 3/31 in Fort Collins, Colorado. Got them to throw in a moon roof visor on top of this as well.

Purchase price: 17,801
    Dealer fees: 399
    sales tax (6.7%) 1219.40
    title/lien fees 27.20
    total - 19446.60

Also got 3.9% financing for 60 months from Honda. They mentioned this ended 3/31 and they didn't think it was being offered in April for the Civic. I dealt with the internet manager for all the pricing. GoHonda on 104th in Denver offered 17,828 (purchase price + dealer fees) but I didn't want to hassle with the hour drive and wanted to keep the service in town.
  • Options
    uddiuddi Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a LX AT for 16,200 + 55 Doc + TTL in OC CA.
    Is it a reasonable deal?
  • Options
    suvojitsuvojit Member Posts: 2
    Hi Can nayone tell me the key differences between the DX and LX? IS the DX a good but for someone who just wants abasic no frills fuel efficient car. What are the disdavantage sof a DX version
  • Options
    brick08brick08 Member Posts: 3
    No AC, power lock/window, cruise control, and probably few more stuff.
  • Options
    2008honda2008honda Member Posts: 17
    ---->

Purchased a LX AT for 16,200 + 55 Doc + TTL in OC CA.
    Is it a reasonable deal?
    ------>

Yea.... :) This is good deal ... Can you tell me what was your OTD.... Over here OTD for LX AT 4 Door is $18,256 .. I am also looking for some one in FL with OTD price for less than $17,600... (We have 6% tax, tag title lemon tire fees ~ $200)

If possible can you scan your buyer order and send me an e-mail..
  • Options
    davemattbdavemattb Member Posts: 3
    Purchased the car through Costco and got it for 22,137 OTD which included tags/taxes. Bought from Right Honda in Scottsdale AZ and were very pleased with everything!
  • Options
    trinity3trinity3 Member Posts: 50
    On 4/11/08, I purchased a 2008 Civic EX-L w/NAV in Tango Red Pearl
    (Including: Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray & VIN Window Etching)

Break Down as follows:
    Car w/Dealer Installed Accessory Package -----------------------$21,553.50 (inc. Dest.)
    Dealer Processing Fee --------------------------------------------------------$159.00
    Final Sale Price -----------------------------------------------------------$21,712.50

I am very pleased with this purchased. I had been considering the CR-V for sometime, but I'm glad that I went with the Civic. It is the perfect car for me! :blush: :shades: :)
  • Options
    baorulez08baorulez08 Member Posts: 4
    Don't you guys think it is ridiculous to pay so much for a civic?
    And the accord costs so much....
  • Options
    rrich49132rrich49132 Member Posts: 25
    I have been on the fence on selling my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee as it has 111K miles and I am coming off a $2000 repair. I have looked at the civic's and done tons of research and can get a 2008 LX 5 speed for about $16,500 out the door. After reading the posts it seems like a good deal. After looking at the civic I really like the EX-L with navigation and have seen what that goes for and from the quotes it looks like it would around $20,500 out the door which I just can't seem to grasp to pay 20K for a civic? I know these are great cars and the gas mileage is a plus but come on that is just too much. I think I might wait for the 2009 models to come out and hope a dealer has a few of the ex-l's with nav that I can snatch up for a steal.
  • Options
    Don't you guys think it is ridiculous to pay so much for a civic?
    And the accord costs so much....

I have been on the fence on selling my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee as it has 111K miles and I am coming off a $2000 repair. I have looked at the civic's and done tons of research and can get a 2008 LX 5 speed for about $16,500 out the door. After reading the posts it seems like a good deal. After looking at the civic I really like the EX-L with navigation and have seen what that goes for and from the quotes it looks like it would around $20,500 out the door which I just can't seem to grasp to pay 20K for a civic? I know these are great cars and the gas mileage is a plus but come on that is just too much. I think I might wait for the 2009 models to come out and hope a dealer has a few of the ex-l's with nav that I can snatch up for a steal.

Just my $0.02~
    My husband has the Accord. It's a great vehicle, but just a little to heavy for my comfort. To my understanding, the Civic and the Acura TSX are virtually the same vehicle, besides the engine and some other tweeks. I was considering the CR-V, prior to the Civic. I went to test drive the Civic; it had 15 miles on it and I brought it back with 70 miles. Even though I could have gotten the Accord (or many other decent vehicles) for a similar price, the Civic fits me perfectly. It's not only about the dollars and cents (by the way, I'm an Accountant), but also about the total value--reconciling between wants/needs and cost.

Thanks, Trin ;)
  • Options
    aravind99aravind99 Member Posts: 15
    Purchased on 04/12/2008 in Middlesex county New Jersey.

Price $16,350 (Including Destination)
    Documentation $269
    Tax (7%) $1144.50
    Registration fees $262
    NJ Tire Fee $7.5
    ---------------------------------------------
    Total OTD $18,033
    --------------------------------------------

I know this is not the lowest price when compared to the previous posts. I think the documentation fee $269 is little bit higher, but I am happy that I got 0.90% APR for 3 Years.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    To my understanding, the Civic and the Acura TSX are virtually the same vehicle, besides the engine and some other tweeks.

No, actually the TSX is based on the Accord sold in other countries, e.g. Europe.
  • Options
    Hmm . . . I thought the TL and RL were based on the Accord and the TSX and RSX, the Civic. I'm not sure, but it seems like the frame is too small on the TSX to be based on the Accord. :confuse:

Either way, the point I was making in my previous post is that it doesn't matter how much you can get another car for if it's not what you want.

These message boards have helped me immensely as I researched buying a new car. I just wanted to share the details of my purchase in an effort to assist anyone seeking information. My hope is that someone can use the information to their advantage.

Thanks, Trin
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The TSX is badge engineered from the CL-series Honda Accord (or European Accord) sold in Europe, Japan and Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TSX

I think the (RIP) RSX was based on the Civic platform, like the Integra before it.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Both great cars but a bit more pricey than the Civics. Have to agree with the size factor...it's the perfect size with excellent mileage...who could ask fro more.
    Probably could've gotten a Sonata for close to the same price, but it was just a bit to big.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    exbauerexbauer Member Posts: 32
    just signed for a new 2008 civic sedan ex auto navi in chicagoland for $21,706 OTD. $19,600 for the car, $1813 tax (9.25%), $143 new plates, title, registration, $150 doc fee.
  • Options
    civstercivster Member Posts: 1
    hello all!
    I just got back from the dealer. I was over at middletown honda, NY and was looking at a 2008 civic ex with out the navi. I was quoted 18,600 and told invoice of 18559. Basically the OTD price is 20,230 or so. taxes are 1511.00

Any thoughts on this ?
    Good deal?
    Room for Bargaining? part of me feels there is room for bargaining still.
  • Options
    day9day9 Member Posts: 57
    I checked tirerack.com, to my surprise the all-season tire is much more expensive than the summer tire.
  • Options
    I am in Northern VA and have a quote for $17,108 out the door for an LX 5 speed. Please remember that in VA sales tax is only 3%. I am just not sure if this is the model I want as I really like the EX-L with Navigation but hard to justify about 4K more.
  • Options
    Test Drive both.
    I have the EX-L w/NAV and I feel its well worth it.
    Thanks, Trin
  • Options
    I have a quote for a 2008 EX-L navigation 5 speed for $19776 out the door. I am in VA where sales tax is only 3%. Seems like a very good deal?
  • Options
    fucheffuchef Member Posts: 1
    I have a quote for a Civic LX 4 door manual 15,995. I haven't started to haggle with him about price, But is this a fair price ? With invoice being 300-400 less, I feel they are stuck with the sticks and need to move them. How much more could I push lower?
    thanx
    Pete
  • Options
    cody2007cody2007 Member Posts: 13
    I also live in CT and am looking to buy a civic coupe LX manual. I got a quote for and LX of 17829 OTD at Torrington Honda. Is this a good price?
  • Options
    stickyx2stickyx2 Member Posts: 11
    Cody,

I think it's a bit high especially for a standard. I paid 16400 here in RI for an automatic LX sedan - just so you have an idea. Manual transmission should be lower than that.
  • Options
    $16400 OTD?
    What is your sale tax rate?

When did you buy it?
    How long does it take to get the price?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    stickyx2stickyx2 Member Posts: 11
    No, 16400 was Purchase price. I'd rather state purchase since each state has different sales tax rates. I'm in RI and did All my negotiations on-line. Purchased last month and got it done in 5 days.
  • Options
    What is your sale tax rate and your OTD price?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    huyhoang26huyhoang26 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Spend 3 hour at College Park Honda Hyundai; finally, they offer 18000 OTD Civic LX08.

Be aware, they lie about the price if you call them. First tell me OTD is 16,500. When I come, they sorry because the civic is sold :))... I really hate them and then play around with them for few hours and gone.
  • Options
    sf_siennasf_sienna Member Posts: 13
    Hi--

I'm looking for any information on Price Paid for the '08 Civic LX Sedan with AT in SF Bay Area. I'm seeing the following price breakdown:

$15,615 Invoice
    $ 635 Destination
    $ 734 AT Option
    -----------
    $16984 Base Price

To this I will have to add doc fees ($55), CA sales tax at 8.25% (~$1400), and DMV fees (~$175).

Can anyone share their Base Price and where they bought? I prefer San Jose to SF area in particular.

In the past (with my 2004 Toyota Sienna) I had a great experience sending out ~50 emails to dealerships throughout Northern CA and it just happened that my local dealer matched my best price. Now I just want to go in to my local dealership with a final price and buy this car.

Thanks for your help!

Steve
  • Options
    I have a quote for a 2008 EX-L navigation 5 speed for $19776 out the door. I am in VA where sales tax is only 3%. Seems like a very good deal?

It sounds like a great deal to me; I love my Civic! :)
  • Options
    buckey48buckey48 Member Posts: 12
    check "carsbelowinvoice" supposed to give you real prices.

But. you will have to give your name etc and put up with e-mails from local dealers.

I did only 1 dealer e-mailed price on a Si w/o nav $19915+ $635 +Ca taxes and fess.

So wasn't an outstanding deal.
  • Options
    aravind99aravind99 Member Posts: 15
    Steve,
    What do you mean by AT Option Price?

I paid $16,350 (Including destination) for 2008 Honda Civic LX Auto Transmission in New Jersey.

Check my post #6676
  • Options
    sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Wow, we could never get that price here in Denver. Consider yourself fortunate. The best we can get out here is $17,800 including dealer handling.

Still looking for that elusive great deal on a Civic.

Brad
  • Options
    stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    This was at New Rochelle Honda in New Rochelle, NY. I helped my 86 year old dad buy a new car (he totaled his old one) and the sales person gave us a price of $16,495 on an AT LX--right off the bat with no negotiation! According to CRs price reports the Dealer Invoice (including destination) was around $17K (quoting from memory)

This dealer had at least one LX in EVERY color on their own lot. OTOH, they could not keep the Fit in stock. We were there on Sunday and came back on Monday and the two Fits they had were sold in the interim, so we couldn't even test drive the Fit. My theory is that the price on the Civic was so low because the Fit is cutting into Civic sales.

I
  • Options
    evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    I am ready to close on a Civic EX auto sedan for $18,336. Includes everything except tax, title, and reg.
  • Options
    sloveslove Member Posts: 2
    Response by internet with Honda dealers very good, not so good with Toyota.Anyway I shopped a 2008 Civic Lx sedan automatic for my Daughter paid $16650.00 that included dest. and all weather floor mats. It was a little bit of a battle ,they are there to separate you from as much of you hard earned $$ as possible,don't let it happen.Get a fair price. McGrath Honda Elgin,il..I may go back soon to get an Accord for myself.Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    sf_siennasf_sienna Member Posts: 13
    By "AT Option Price" I meant Automatic Transmission.

The price you paid is excellent! I don't know if they'll go that low in my area (SF, CA). Thanks for the information.

--Steve
  • Options
    Civic EX auto sedan for $18,336. Includes everything except tax, title, and reg. Bought at Schaller Honda in CT. Got the same offer at Majestic in RI. About $250 below invoice.
  • Options
    dragonslayer2dragonslayer2 Member Posts: 1
    Got internet price quote $15,767 plus tax and license from Manly Honda in Santa Rosa, CA. Thurston Honda in Ukiah, CA price matched so I purchased from them as they are closer. After I agreed to this price Hansel Honda in Petaluma, CA said they would do the same deal for $15,600 however, I stayed with Thurston.
  • Options
    sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Ignore the last comment I made about pricing in Denver. It was an ordeal shopping for a car until I mentioned the Costco pricing-great deal right over the phone. $16,500 for the Honda Civic LX auto.

Only problem now is that my wife likes the new 2009 Toyota Corolla. Ouch.

Later, Brad
  • Options
    jdunnisherjdunnisher Member Posts: 56
    Brad,

Did the Costco price of $16,500 include destination? Did you have them quote you pricing on any other models?
  • Options
    jjandersjjanders Member Posts: 18
    Evped, how was your buying experience at Schaller? I live in CT and have gotten a pretty good quote from them. They are a bit of a hike but the price would be worth it. Just don't want to drive an hour and then have them try to add in extra fees, etc...

Did it go quickly and smoothly? Did you agree on OTD price over e-mail before showing up?
  • Options
    ichor0416ichor0416 Member Posts: 10
    I paid invoice of $21,210 (does not include destination).
  • Options
    mariea1mariea1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy or lease a Civic EX-L between now and July. Does anyone know when the best time would be?
  • Options
    I pick up the car tomorrow, but everything went great by email and then a phone call to go over details. I'll update my experience after the deal is done. Their $299 doc. fee was included in price.
  • Options
    usfcrim76usfcrim76 Member Posts: 4
    Hondaland in Tampa is taking on an extra $2995.00 and calling a "change in market value" in addition to the sticker prices. I first saw this when the '08s came out and thought it was just because they were a new model year. Took my '97 in for an oil change today and they still have this upcharge on the stickers. Anyone else seeing this around the country?

I'm gonna be in a position to pay cash for a new EX-2 door by early August.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    "I am looking to buy or lease a Civic EX-L between now and July. Does anyone know when the best time would be?"

April 29/30, May 30/31, June 29/30, July 30/31. This will also give you practice. So a goal will be to get the same car for the cheapest price on any of those days. :shades:
  • Options
    grizwaldgrizwald Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a Honda Civic EX automatic. I contacted BJ's wholesale club buying program and can get it for $16,500 +tax and tags. From what I am reading this looks like it might be an OK deal? What does everyone think. Also what are people getting from mileage. I was looking at the other message board regarding this and it seems like everyone is getting in the high 20's and low 30's. I currently drive a ford escape and get in the low 20's. I just want to make sure it is worth my while to trade in. Thanks,