Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    carolzhawcarolzhaw Member Posts: 2
    I think the tax rate in VA is 3%. So far, I got 17K OTD from dealer at DC area.
  • Options
    eddiehaskell1eddiehaskell1 Member Posts: 12
    You're right. :(

That price doesn't include processing fee and freight. Darn.
  • Options
    jps190jps190 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Silver EX-L 19349+tax tag and title.
  • Options
    cmp_crv_exl08cmp_crv_exl08 Member Posts: 4
    Muller Honda in Highland Park, IL. Contact Alfredo in the internet dept. Let him know I referred you. Picked my car up tonight. Paid $21,225. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Alfredo at Muller is who my son purchased his Civic EX-L Navi through back in October of '07.

Very nice dealership and a no-hassle transaction.

Even when factoring in the navigation cost, it looks like he paid slightly more than you, but in October, the Civic's had just come out, not to mention that EX-L Navi models are still fairly rare, and they were the only dealer in the area to have the color combination he wanted.

On the plus side, he got the 0.9% financing for 36 months and was given between fair and good value for his '01 Civic EX.
  • Options
    rrich49132rrich49132 Member Posts: 25
    Hey all,
    I think there are two way to negotiate first the price of the car then the OTD price. With OTD price that would include taxes (depends on state), processing ($295), freight ($635), processing (?). Am I missing something and are these prices accurate?

I assume there is no negotiating these prices as they are set by the dealership? Can anyone who bought new give me a break down on the fees other than the cost of the car. I just want to get a grasp when a dealer says you can get a Civic LX 4 door auto trans for $15,800 as I want to know all fees involved.
  • Options
    ykrussykruss Member Posts: 14
    CarolZhaw
    I am in Springfield and looking for LX auto sedan to buy at the end of the month.

What dealership gave you 17K OTD? :confuse:
  • Options
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    "PRICES PLUS TAX, TAGS, FREIGHT, AND PROCESSING FEE"

Typical dealer BS and games. The price they show seems pretty good, but you have to add the $635 destination charge and whatever they charge for a fee. They also show the price with cheap money, but in the foot notes they say "special offers can not be combined" which probably means you can't finance with the cheap money and get these prices too.

Sure, they could have good deals, but I would bet it might be a bit more than you would think and might be a bit more work to get it than you would expect :D .

Dennis
  • Options
    What they do as well as charge an added $500-$800 and give you wheel locks, and some other BS items that cost them like $50 once you come in to buy at those prices. I have been looking and would like an EX 4 door civic auto for about $18,500 OTD which is tough. I will give it another go round at month end as that is what I tried last month and got close. I have found that depending on how things are going that at month end is when one will have the best luck.
  • Options
    antonio1antonio1 Member Posts: 27
    rrich49132,

Hey how close to 18,500.00 you got to????
    That will be a great price for a 2008 civic 4 door EX auto.
    Thanks.

Here in Florida the lowest OTD price is 20,281.59............
  • Options
    I got them down to $18,900. Remember I am in VA where tax is only 3%.
  • Options
    Ok,

What price did you got including dest?
  • Options
    carolzhawcarolzhaw Member Posts: 2
    I got 17K OTD in 08 LX auto coupe from Browns Arlington Honda.
  • Options
    gman187gman187 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I just bought 2008 Honda civic EX 4dr auto sedan with atomic blue color for 19,495 OTD from O'Hare Honda dealership. It did take a lot of effort from my part but I did finally got the price that I was looking for and the color that I wanted. This is how I did it, first I went to edmunds.com to select the color that I want and send it to all the dealership around my area within 50 miles. Then when I got the quote from the dealerships then I asked them to give me their OTD price, which includes fees and taxes since we do have big sales tax in our state. Then when I finally got the OTD price from the lowest quote given to me then I started to talk to the dealership around my area to match it or beat their price even though their price was 400 over the other dealers price but when they didn't wanted to match it, I went to O'Hare dealership which quoted me the best deal but as a typical salesperson Bill their sales manager told me that he has my color car available. As when I got there my color car was gone and he told me that he'll get me the car within next week with under 60 miles included since he is going to be swapping the car between the two dealership. This, I really didn't wanted, the car to have more than 10 miles so I told them when is your next shipment is arriving he told me next week and my car would also be coming in this shipment. But it took them two weeks to get my car shipped with 4 miles in it. So finally I went back to the dealership and got the car with 1.9% financing for 36 months. Also if you go there don't deal with Job who is a sales rep when Bill assigns you to him, because I dealt with him and he was very rude so I asked Bill to change my sales rep and he transferred me to another sales rep name Roza who was very kind and very respectful probably one of the best sales rep I ever dealt with. So if anybody has any questions about my message reply to this message.
  • Options
    Ok,

What is you sales tax in chicago?
    Also what was your price with dest?
    How much is the dealer fee?

Here is Florida they want $599.00 dealer Junk Fee.........
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I'm shopping for Honda Civic Ex L, Toyota LE, or a Mazda 3. Toyota has alot of plastic in it. $21000.00 Plus add $1200.00 sales tax and title plus 500.00 Excise tax.the Le has alloys, 16inch tires ,cruise andpower windows.The Mazda New Touring has more bells and whistles and is $18850.00 The Civic Ex L has it all except fogs. Add 5% sales tax and$ 550.00.Also 126 in doc fees.
    I'm tired of the hassel. What is the best way to buy a car, through an on line buyer?I mean some who finds a car you want for a fee. :mad:
  • Options
    The sales tax that I paid was 7.25% and this is the whole information that shows what exactly I paid: 17245(price)+635.150(dest)+150(document fee)+1307.17(tax)+143(new plates)+15(cook county tax)=19495.17OTD. I know that cook county tax is probably bogus but still their price was $400 lower than what my local dealership was giving and I think for you $599.00 dealer Junk Fee is also bogus because I never heard of any kind of fee like this before, ask your dealer to explain this fee to you because you are buying a car from them not junking a car. :)
  • Options
    Gman187

I call it Dealer Junk Fee but they call it document fee. Is way to much $599.00.
    I can pay 150 to 200. thats it....... All dealers here in Central Florida charge 599.00
    thats crazy...........
  • Options
    nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    Be sure to add the $635 Destination Charge (Freight) to all figures.

Does anyone know how much they are charging for their Processing Fee?
  • Options
    $385 is processing. Just hope when someone goes it that they don't add $799 for pin stripes, floor mats, and wheel locks as I see dealers doing that. They will advertise great prices then add things like that.
  • Options
    They should be shot for not adding the destination to the prices listed, that is just wrong. They should have also disclosed the processing fee amount in the ad as well. With just a quick glance the prices seem OK once you add these two items into the price - if we assume no dealer installed options.

Dennis
  • Options
    oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    2008 Civic EX 5M, Sign and Drive. $251.66/mo for 36mo 12000mi/yr tax inc.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Good deal!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    lordy1952lordy1952 Member Posts: 8
    I live in upstate ny area, does any one know a good dealer ship?

and what would be a good price for an 08 honda LX sedan auto. I gotten an offer for

16884 + tax(8%) + DMV = 18452.22 (OTD) :confuse:

Is this a good price? can they go even lower?HELPP!!!

thanks
  • Options
    antonio1
    I agree with you 100%, the dealership at your area are charging way too high price for the document fee because here in Illinois doc fee is 150, some people charge it 125 but that's about it. I think they are just trying to make a profit from you, did you ask them what kind of document are they filling that it makes the cost $599 because that's the same question I asked to my dealership around this area and they told me that they charge this fee because they have to fill papers to the manufacture, also send the papers to the DMV as far as registration goes and they have to keep records for your purchase if you are doing financing, lease stuff like that.
  • Options
    bensulbensul Member Posts: 12
    Purchased a 2008 Civic LX auto yesterday and paid $16,400 for it. Only dealer add-on are the mudguards. After a $55 dealer preparation fee, a $1357.54 sales tax, a $28 DMV electronic filing fee and $176.75 DMV license,registration and tire fees, the total out the door price is $18,017.29. I bought the car from Valley-Hi Honda at Victorville, California. It is about 50 miles from where I live but my local dealer do not want to match their prices and on top of that, Palmdale Honda's internet department is not open on weekends. I also took advantage of the 2.9% financing for 60 months. I highly recommend my salesperson to anyone shopping for a Civic in the Los Angeles area. You can email me for his name and number. Thank you and hope this helps someone who is right now shopping for a Civic to possibly get even a better deal.
  • Options
    dragons1984dragons1984 Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I'm shopping around for a 2008 Civic EX, 4 door, automatic transmission.

The best OTD price I have is $19,589 (includes 7% NJ tax + NJ tags). Good deal or should I push lower? I think the car with destination is around $18,000 at that price.
  • Options
    am2am2 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,

This is my first time getting a car and I'm opting for the Civic LX (manual), in the Philly/NJ area. I've been researching on this stuff for a while and there's some things I'm still not sure about!

One is what exactly are the legitimate fees that dealers can shove on to you? I know that Sales tax for PA and Destination are legit, what about processing fees and advertising, and dealer feels and fees to get the car ready etc....are these all gimmicks to get increase the price but make it seem like you're still getting a good deal?

Secondly, if anyone could share some info with me on what they paid or what's a good bottom line price for this car....or if you know any dealers/sales ppl near the Philly area...I'd be really grateful!!

Thanks a bunch in advance!! :)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Dealers can shove on you any fees they think they can get away with. You can choose whether to accept them, or say "no deal."

An exception to that is that in some states (not sure about PA), "documentation" fees are capped by law.

Beyond that, dealers can charge fees like advertising fees (just why they single out advertising from all their costs of doing business, I don't know--I mean, why not an "electricity fee"?), dealer prep fees (note however that every window sticker says, by law: price includes manufacturer-recommended dealer preparation), and my all-time favorite because of its honesty, ADM ("additional dealer markup").

The easiest thing to do is simply include any fees in the total cost of the car, then compare the total cost across dealers. Some dealers have a higher asking price, but low fees. And some have an enticing asking price, but tack on big fees. In the end, it's all about how much you pay for the car, right? Ideally, you'll find at least one dealer with a low asking price AND low fees. :)
  • Options
    backy,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yeah that's what all evidence seems to point towards...Additional Dealer Markup?? Wow!!

I think I'm just going to ask them to give me a bottom line price....all those additional prices, destination, documentation etc etc...everything before sales tax and then see if I like the price.

Also if anyone has any experiences with buying the civic lx , or any information about prices and dealers, please let me know!

Thanks!
  • Options
    Did anyone buy a car this weekend as it being the holiday weekend I was curious if the dealerships are needing to move lots of cars and that this is a time when you can get a better deal than most of the time? Given it is close to month end and a holiday weekend am sure people got some good deals?
  • Options
    dmei2dmei2 Member Posts: 1
    Continental Honda from chicago, tax is 9.25%
    They said the OTD price is 21,762.
    But When i get home and double check the car order worksheet, the selling price and tax etc, plus all together, finally price isn't the OTD price. IS any hide problem in there?
  • Options
    2008civicowner2008civicowner Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Civic LX 4 door automatic (Galaxy Gray metallic) from Spreen Honda in Loma Linda, California, last week for $16,125 plus $55 (document fee), $1,253.95 (sales tax), and $176.75 (license, registration, and "Tire Fees"). I did not get any add-ons. OTD was $17,610.70. I financed it with 1.9% financing over 36 months. Very pleasant buying experience with Spreen Honda. No pressure tactics. :)
  • Options
    Good deal!!
  • Options
    jkh713jkh713 Member Posts: 4
    I just began looking for a 2008 honda Civic sedan auto lx/ex does anyone know a dealership that is easy to work with the lowest prices paid in the Houston Tx area? Should I hold off until later in the year?

thank you in advance
  • Options
    jjmalujjmalu Member Posts: 3
    I am also looking for a 2008 automatic honda civic LX sedan. My lowest quote is $18,200 drive out from a salesman at Russel and Smith Honda. None of the internet departments, except Honda of Katy are willing to beat this offer. Even the internet department at Russel and Smith would not go below $18,400 and free tint (I did not tell them I had also dealt with one of their own floor salesman). The Katy dealership will not give me a quote unless I come in, but they said they will beat any offer and include free lifetime oil changes. Going to try to negotiate something with them Tuesday evening. Let me know if you have any better luck. Thanks.
  • Options
    I see what everyone is paying for Civics and it seems that the e-mail I received for deals seems very good. I am in the Washington DC area and a local dealer sent me the following:

2008 Honda Civic Coupes

92 TO CHOOSE FROM!
    LX Manual Transmission- $14,845.67
    LX Automatic Transmission- $15,551.43
    EX Manual Transmission- $16,565.96
    EX Automatic Transmission- $17,271.72
    EX With Leather Manual Transmission- $17,624.60
    EX With Leather Automatic Transmission- $18,330.36
    EX With Leather and Navigation Automatic Transmission- $19,874.21

2008 Honda Civic Sedans
    200 TO CHOOSE FROM!
    LX Manual Transmission- $15,022.11
    LX Automatic Transmission- $15,727.81
    EX Manual Transmission-$16,565.97
    EX Automatic Transmission- $17,271.72
    EX with Leather Automatic Transmission- $18,330.36
    Civic Si- $18,859.68
    Civic Si with Navigation- $20,403.53

This does not include tax with is 3% in Virginia, then freight which is $635, processing which is $435 and tags which is $60. If you add that all up that is $17328 OTD for a 4 door LX auto and a 4 door EX auto would be $18919 OTD.
  • Options
    artuartu Member Posts: 7
    What APR can I expect to pay on a 60 month loan from AHFC applying through a Bethesda Maryland dealer with a 690 beacon credit score? There are some financing incentives from Honda like 2.9 finacing The finance person says Honda determines your tier (preferred or super for example) and also the APR Is that accurate? I find it confusing-some previously posted messages talk about 690 and up while others use 720 as a cut off point. Could someone help me out with this so I can make an informed decision? How do I know if 3.9 is what I qualify for? I intend to put maybe $1000 down I guess shop around for financing before closing the deal just like I did for selling price Any ideas? Plesase share Thank you
  • Options
    I am a member of Congressional Credit union and can get a 60 month loan for 4.25% and when I am ready to buy I will get pre-approved and if Honda can do better than great but if not I will go with the 4.25. I know that to get the great Honda rates you typically can't get the car for a great price as well.
  • Options
    Just because you say your score is a 690 does not mean that Honda will think the same thing. Most captive finance / lease banks use an "auto enhanced" score which gives more weight to car credit history than to other items. So your 690 could be pulled up into tier 1 (710 and up, IIRC) if you have good car credit history, or could be pulled down if you have no or bad car credit history.

What I would do is get pre-approved from AHFC online. You will not know the rate or score, but you will know they will finance you. Then I would get pre-approved through your bank or credit union, they WILL tell you the rate you qualify for. If you don't have a bank or credit union, you can join one (like PenFed) and may qualify for a low rate.

Then you make your best deal on the new Civic going through the online or "Internet" departments at several deals. Then once you have hammered out a nice price on the car you want that is in stock, you walk onto the lot with your pre-approved loans in your pocket. You get the car at the price you agreed to and in the F&I office you see what rate AHFC will offer you. If they can't beat your bank or credit union rate, you use that. If they can beat it for a simple interest, no set up fee loan, then use the AHFC financing.

Just like you should never walk onto a lot before you have a deal done, you should never walk onto the lot without having some type of financing already in place "just in case".

Dennis
  • Options
    hickorychickoryc Member Posts: 25
    Closest dealer to me is bad news. Using gman187's msg 6835 and previous on his O'Hare deal as ammo, we got Slidell Louisiana dealer within $300 of gman's deal. If the pitchman (not qualified to be called a salesperson) :mad: had not been so rude, we would have bought last night. He was a know-it-all and contradicted everything we said. For instance, he maintained the only differences between LX and EX is "alloys and sun". We could not go to our no pressure dealer as our salesman had taken the evening off. We'll pay a little more and drive a bit farther to avoid this kind of treatment. Anyway, the deal would have been $18,300 plus TTL and no other dealer charges, mudflaps included. However, this was the kind of dealer where one should expect any kind of last minute bait and switch or "forgot to mention" add to.
  • Options
    sirkaysirkay Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone in Detroit Metro Area who just purchased '08 Honda Civic EX? If so what is your experience dealing with the dealers in the area? Would you recommend dealership and how much did you get your car?
  • Options
    bmhavenbmhaven Member Posts: 6
    I live in the Raleigh/Durham area and wondering if anyone has recently had any experiences purchasing a 2008 Civic EX? How much below MSRP can I expect to pay? It appears 2.9% for 60 months is a good option through Honda Finance. Thanks.
  • Options
    missericamisserica Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 2008 honda civic ex-l coupe in the houston area. I got price quotes from gillman and russel and smith but when I contact them, they fail to give quotes about the actual cars they have in stock. all the dealers i have dealt with include all these installed options which allow them to increase their price. From an original quote of $21,323 that a dealer at russel and smith gave me, he changed it to 21,900 with installed options that "every customer wants" and that "they can't remove". which is bullcrap to me. If you have better luck let me know! :mad:
  • Options
    s12dxers12dxer Member Posts: 1
    Looking to pay $19,800OTD for a 2008 Civic EX Auto 4-door. This includes XM Radio installed, Wheel locks, trunk tray, mud flaps, and DMV/Title fees.

Sound reasonable? Best quote I've been able to get.
  • Options
    fisheermanfisheerman Member Posts: 12
    Which dealer has this prices in the DC area? That is a good price OTD price.

Thanks

fish
  • Options
    jjmalujjmalu Member Posts: 3
    Are those installed options you are talking about the protection package? The one with wheel locks, some paint coating, splash guards, and some sort of trunk mat. I have noticed these added unnecessary features on the Houston cars I have looked at, too. Apparently, they are on all the Honda of Katy and Goodson Honda cars.

Regardless I personally think it is a bad time to buy a Civic in Houston. None of the dealers I have talked to will go below a drive out price of 18,400 on an LX sedan except for Russel and Smith, who have offered me 18,200 drive out. Katy said they would beat that offer, but when I got to the dealership they pulled a bate and switch with an EX, and basically wasted 3hrs of my time. I am meeting with Russel and Smith tomorrow evening, so we will see if they actually keep to their word.

The Civics are selling very well this month because of the gas prices, memorial day weekend, and the .9% financing. I am most likely going to hold off if I dont get the offer I want. If anyone else from Houston has some advice I would really appreciate it.
  • Options
    ykrussykruss Member Posts: 14
    Hey fisheerman,

I am not rrich49132 but the initial response from Sheehy Honda of Alexandria gave me very close quote on Civic LX auto sedan - $15,755.00, just $28 more than in rrich message.
    But when I asked for OTD the quote was $17800.
    Why?
    The answer was "All of our Civics have the appearance package already installed" and they wont budge.

So far the lowest quote I got is from Browns Arlington Honda - $17300 OTD.

Fairfax Honda - $18,330.35 OTD

Tyson Corner Honda beat the Browns by a whooping one dollar - $17299 OTD.

Guess I will sit and wait till Saturday - quotes might get better depends on how they move Civics.
  • Options
    That really pisses me off when a dealer posts good prices then when you go in they add an appearance package to all vehicles and add another $600. I think I have decided to just wait till the 2009's come out and see if they are much different if not that I will find a left over 2008. I hate dealing with salespeople and dealers that screw people and mislead to get people into the dealership.