Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't plan on getting quotes till I'm ready to buy anyways, to let them know I'm serious. I am working with a dealership now that is in the process of finding a car that I want and will contact me when it's in. They have been nothing but friendly and helpful to me, even though I told them it will be a few weeks at least before I'm ready to purchase. BTW the dealership is Nourse Automall of Chillicothe, great people, really nice to work with, and have given other family members great deals on their cars. Again, thank you to all of you who have posted as it has made me a smarter buyer!
  • kishoremkishorem Member Posts: 1
    I am from bayarea....Requested for quotes through internet and I got selling price 16280 (including destination charges).
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    They KY dealer quoted me invoice plus dealer fee ($400) for a new LX AT. So if your local dealer will do invoice or invoice plus a little more then I would say take it and not bother trying to drive to get a better deal. I could probably get a better price but it would involve you driving to GA and the gas 2 ways (or plane ticket and gas) would probably eat up the savings.

As was said, with ever rising gas prices anything with good EPA numbers like the Civic will sell without much problem and there is little incentive for the dealer or Honda to offer you any further discounts.

Dennis
  • loud0g40ozloud0g40oz Member Posts: 79
    I just brought home a 2008 Civic LX Sedan Auto from Hardin Honda in Anaheim. I paid $15847 incl dest for the car, and total OTD was $17311. It was a little bit of a battle, but in the end, they were the only ones to step up with the deal.

Here's how I did it. Jason Osborn was the internet sales rep. He is very confident in his communication, and basically told me he would have the best price, and to find my best deal and he would beat it by $100. Hardin also has a free lifetime oil change program where they do every other oil change free if you do the service there.

My original best deal was from Riverside Honda for 16147, then I used a $200 off coupon from Norm Reeves Honda website to make my best deal. Jason then beat it by 100 without a problem. I actually got a lower quote after I had started the deal (took 2 days because of a disagreement with the finance guy) from DCH Honda in Temecula, so it might be possible to get a better price than I did. DCH quoted me today at $16058 incl dest.

Honda is offering 0.9/36 and 2.9/60 financing which I also took advantage of.
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    I just purchased a Civic EX auto sdn here in Denver, Colorado for $18,995 with dealer handling included. It does not seem like we have the best prices here in Denver.

If you want to buy a Civic just get one. You can wait until the new ones come out with the traction control and a few other changes but there will be no incentives most likely. The 2008's might still be discounted but they will be harder to find.

Also if the price of gas does go to $4.00 a gallon I would not be surprised to see surcharges on high efficiency vehicles. It has happened in the past. I did not want to wait in case that happened.

As far as buying a hybrid they are great cars, but when it comes time to replace the battery you might as well buy a new car. No one is going to pay several thousand dollars to replace one unless the price comes down dramatically. Those thousands would buy plenty of fuel for a regular gasoline Civic.

I like my new car.

Brad
  • minibuyerminibuyer Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

So far my Internet quotes have been higher than yours. Could you share which dealers are offering the car at $1,620? I appreciate your help.

Barak
  • mannychanda187mannychanda187 Member Posts: 10
    Beware of O'hare Honda in Des Plaines, IL. They are also one of the dealership that gave me the best quote but when I called the internet sales manager Bill he said that yes he has the color and the car is in stock, so I told him I will come today and buy the car from him. I drove almost 40 miles to his dealership since the other dealers around my area won't match or even come close to his price. But then when I got to the dealership he told me that the car is sold and when I asked the sales rep. Job as to when it was sold he told me a day before my arrival. Also there sales rep. Job is also very rude and doesn't give respect to his customers. :mad:
  • joyzzcejoyzzce Member Posts: 3
    We just bought last week a 2008 Black Honda Civic EX 4DR SEDAN Auto w/ SI wheels ( They cant removed the SI wheels as it came with it ) for 18595.00. Invoice was almost 22k but internet guy, Byron from Metro Honda in Montclair California just gave us this deal.

18595 - before any taxes, license at 2.9% financing

We contacted the Riverside Honda first but internet lady gave me only 17575 deal on the EX (no SI WHEELS ) with a 4.9% and she said i can only choose one - discount of 1k from the invoice or the financing rates of 2.9% - Well Montclair metro honda gave me this deal with 2.9% financing too.
    Was this price with or without nav? What were they charging for the Si wheels?
  • dreamcar5dreamcar5 Member Posts: 69
    Try Penske Honda, I bought the mini van and 08 accord from them. $200 below invoice if no Honda incentive or take 2.9%.

I also bough 08 Civic LX @ invoice price of $17100. I could have negotiated more ($500) , but this was a new dealer and my employer had vehicle purchase program with it. At that time, Penske sold @ 1% over invoice.

So, use the invoice price from Costco.com and less than $400 = your purchase price before TTL
  • mdan1mdan1 Member Posts: 9
    Today I purchased a 2008 Civic LX Auto with MSRP of $18,395 for $15,914, that is a discount of $2,481. I purchased the car at Boch Honda in Norwood, MA. Very fast deal in and out in less than 2 hrs. I possibly could have done better considering this was their advertised price and I did no extra negotiations. Additional costs of $298 for doc fee and $65 for plate transfer. I did not pay any sales tax due to the car I was trading was worth more $$$ than the new Civic. So far driven ~ 100 miles and am very happy.
  • bharath_kbharath_k Member Posts: 7
    Did you buy from Penske Honda, Indianapolis, Indiana??
  • johnbobodyjohnbobody Member Posts: 9
    Just wanted to follow-up. How have people done on price with this model?
  • jdunnisherjdunnisher Member Posts: 56
    mdan1,

That is a great price! I have seen other great deals posted from Boch Honda. Did you deal with the Internet Department ahead of time or just walk right in and negotiate that price? Also, what were the dealer fees associated with your purchase (doc fee, etc.)?
  • hondadude2148hondadude2148 Member Posts: 3
    I just signed on a Civic Coupe Auto EX for $18090 ($500 under invoice), which includes destination. I am in the Chicagoland area. I financed with 1.9% APR for 36 months. I got the low financing as a recent college graduate without any car credit history. Granted I have a Honda preferred credit score. I think people buying with the college grad program should be able to get the lowest advertised interest rate as long as you have the preferred credit score over 700. Overall the deal went smooth. Make sure you bring your diploma, soc card, and job offer letter to ensure the dealer doesn't have an excuse to not give you the low rate. I did the internet quoting method and negotiated the price before stepping onto the lot.
    I looked on their website 1st and saw their "weekly specials" under the promotions tab. I made an offer on the Civic per their weekly special price. Trade in was very reasonable also. No complaints about Boch Honda at all. You can probably do better than their advertised price, especially if you are willing to buy the car that day. You can work out a deal through their internet department and haggle over the phone. I did all pricing over the internet, except for trade in. Couple the good price with the Honda financing and it was a no brainer. Good luck on your purchase!!!
  • jdunnisherjdunnisher Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the info. I have checked out their weekly specials over the past month or so and found them to be very good. I'm glad to hear the buying experience was also smooth. What sort of dealer fees should I expect?
  • cmp_crv_exl08cmp_crv_exl08 Member Posts: 4
    What do you think of this deal out of the Chicago suburbs:
    Selling price - $19,390
    Doc fees - $150
    Registration - $25
    Taxes @ 7.75 - $1516.29
    New plates - $143
    OTD - $21,224.29
  • babs6babs6 Member Posts: 5
    I just finished a live chat with Boch and was quoted 15988 + CT tax + doc fee of 298. He told me I would need to visit their dealership to finalize the deal and they would deliver it to me from Mass to CT. But I have to go there by Friday. I would be responsible for registration & title in CT. Does anyone know any problems buying from a dealership in another state ? It seems that lemon laws apply only in the state that you purchase the vehicle in, so if I had a problem, CT laws don't apply . Lowest Ct quote received was for 16584.
    Try to negotiate that doc fee down. I paid 15847 + 55 doc fee in So Cal on Sunday and financed at 2.9/60.
  • stickyx2stickyx2 Member Posts: 11
    The Doc fee's seem very high. Try Metro Honda, I bought my LX civic from them a couple months ago and got very fair deal. Internet sales - Alex. If you do business w/ them let me know. My fees there were only 100 and that included reg. I know people have been posting good prices with Boch but be careful; I personally have had a bad experience there and would never go back.
  • stickyx2stickyx2 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry babs fogot to tell you where Metro was located
    without Nav

SI wheels is 1400 separate
  • babs6babs6 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks- I'll see how far they are from me- The doc fees quoted in CT all are coming in around 300-350. I will definitely try to negociate that. I want to avoid going out of state but CT price quotes are coming in between 16600 and 17200 just seems too high given what others are reporting- Anyone get a recent good price in CT?
  • batrachianbatrachian Member Posts: 13
    Do I need to call Saccucci Honda or Bernardi Honda to find out a quote for extended warranty? I cannot find it on their websits. Are their warranty the same as from myhondawarranty.com? How about price?

Thanks
  • eddiehaskell1eddiehaskell1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm in Charlotte NC and a dealership is advertising an LX automatic coupe for $16,598.

Does anyone think it's possible to get it for $16,000?
    The only additional fees that I paid were $298 doc fee and $65 plate transfer fee. I did not pay any sales tax due to my trade being worth more than the new Civic. My suggestion is that if you are sure that you want to purchase a Civic, make an offer online and wait for them to contact you. If you are willing to put a credit card deposit over the phone right then and there you will get a better deal. Unfortunately if you have a trade that complicates the situation. Also if you can negotiate lower, Commonwealth Motors in Lawrence says they will beat any written legitimate deal by "up to" $500. If you have already test driven the Civic and are sure that is the car you want to buy then it is a buyers market. I think if you put the deposit down over the phone you could probably get at least another couple hundered dollars off of their promotional pricing. What they repeatedly say when they call you is "what will it take to get a deal done right now". If I didn't have a trade I know I could have done $200 - $300 better. I am still happy with my deal and am very happy with the Civic. Good luck!!
  • bkj1sbkj1s Member Posts: 3
    Hi all this is my 1st post on this forum and would like to share the deal that I got from Spreen Honda here in Loma Linda Calif., the deal I got was $17,636.27 with the $635 destination charge my total OTD price was $19,249.09 and my payments with nothing down and 2.9 finance is $346 I am happy with the deal because it was almost $1000 under invoice.
  • collegecar2collegecar2 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased an 08 Civic LX Automatic from Herb Chambers Honda in Westboro Mass.

MSRP: 18,395.00
    Splash Guards: 129.00
    Total MSRP: 18,524.00

Paid: 16,464.00
    Doc Fee: 259.00
    Total: 16,723.00

Tax (5%): 823.20
    Title/Plates: 86.00
    Total Out The Door: 17,632.20

Edmunds lists the invoice at 16,984 (without the mudguards) so It looks like I paid 261 below invoice. Also got 0.9% for 36 months so overall I pretty happy. Probably could have gotten a couple hundred bucks more if I went to Boch Honda, but its an extra 50 miles away and I would have spent most of the savings on the gas to get there and back to buy the car and then go back and pick it up.
    I'm a recent college grad - does anyone know what kind of incentive Honda has? I think it's a special financing rate...anybody know what rate?
    You would think a college grad would be able to google up "Honda college grad" :D . If they could do that, they would find

pages like this.

Unlike some other car companies, no $400 or $500 or whatever cash rebates.

Dennis
  • hondadude2148hondadude2148 Member Posts: 3
    -eddiehaskell1

i just purchased using the college grad program and got 1.9% for 36 months on a civic auto ex coupe. bring everything required per honda financial's website (offer letter, diploma, soc card). if you have good credit (over 700 i think), then you should be able to get the lowest financing.
    I went to link and that's why I asked about the rate - it says nothing about it. I thought they may have a low fixed rate they give to recent grads.
    Thanks. I'm going to be substitute teaching while I finish my prerequisite classes for professional school - I wonder if they would consider that employment?
  • lauradavidlauradavid Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know of a good dealership in east Tn? I am willing to drive to bigger markets. So far, Have the following offers:

EX with navi - 20445 does not include taxes etc.

EX-L with navi - 21979 does not include taxes etc.

I know these cars are hard to come by; especially around here, but what should I expect to pay above invoice?

Thanks!
    Laura
    I assume sedans with automatics?

How far are you to Atlanta? Let me get you a couple of prices.

Dennis
    Dennis,
    Yes, sorry I should have specified: 4dr auto. We are only about 5 hours from ATL, and my husband's parents live there. We go down at least once in the summer.

Thank you
  • cody2007cody2007 Member Posts: 13
    I live in CT and was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to purchase a new Honda Civic EX in this state. I've gone to a couple of dealers and an have gotten quotes via e-mail and phone but still feel uneasy. Help!
  • cody2007cody2007 Member Posts: 13
    Can someone tell me a good dealership in CT...what a reasonable OTD price would be?
    I'm looking to buy a Honda Civic EX manual or auto. The LX would be fine except for the wheels (no rims).
    Here you go:

The Civic EX sedan automatic with Navi is priced at $20,252.50 to include Dealer fee. I have 2 in the Galaxy Gray and 1 White in stock.

The Civic EX-L sedan automatic with Navi is priced at $21,752.50 to include Dealer fee. I have none in stock

I think if you give up on the need to have an OEM Nav unit and get a nice Garmin portable GPS you can save a lot of money. First in the savings on the invoice of the car and second because they will normally deal lower on "just another Civic EX or EX-L" that they will on Nav equipped Civics. They just don't get many so normally do not discount them as much. Be a lot easier to find a non-Nav Civic in the color you want as well.

Dennis
    Update:

I have a local dealer's first offer right at invoice, 21.295.13, for the EX-L with navi.

This is by far the best offer we have received. Anyone out there that has paid less than invoice?

Thanks,
    Laura
    As long that that price includes the destination charge and the dealer's doc or prep fees, I would say "where do I sign" :D .

I show invoice as $21,375 so this car may be have been sitting on the lot for a bit and is before a price increase?

If they have it in a color you want I would take it, there are just not that many around so dealers may not have much incentive to deal on them as they would on just an EX.
  • iyer1iyer1 Member Posts: 1
    You got a good deal. Can you tell me which dealership? I am seriously looking to buy in the next couple of weeks
  • oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    Internet price $17606 dest and delivery included. Opinions?
    I bought at Hardin Honda in Anaheim. Contact Jason Osborn in Internet sales.

Look at my post# 6767 on page 678 for details of how I got my deal.
  • sherylmariesherylmarie Member Posts: 1
    What dealership is this from? I received a quote yesterday from McGrath Honda in Elgin, IL for $20,416 (selling price only) which is $725 over invoice. It looks like your selling price is less than invoice.

Anyone else in the Chicago suburbs getting below or at invoice pricing?
    Where are you buying this? Do you really want manual trans?
  • oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    Quote is from LI, NY.Why would anyone want something other than a manual transmission?
    Landmark Honda in VA has this advertised on Cragslist..

"WHY WAIT FOR MEMORIAL DAY WHEN YOU HAVE BEST SELECTION AND VALUE NOW?

2008 HONDA CIVIC LX SEDAN AUTO ----- $15,698.17
    2008 HONDA CIVIC LX COUPE ----- $15,454.98"

Hmm...that may be worth the drive. Anyone know what the tax rate is in VA?
    Before you drive anywhere, make sure the prices quoted include the car, destination, and any dealer fees. A common dealer trick is to post a low price that excludes destination and/or fees. Then when someone shows up to buy at the price quoted they then add these on top and your sweet deal turns sour real quick.

In every state I know of you should be able to buy out of state and pay the tax and registration when you get back home. If you are planning on financing the taxes it get a little more complex, as you have to either have the dealer register the car or have them give you a check to pay the taxes yourself.

Dennis