Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    alpsiealpsie Member Posts: 6
    I got a internet quote $17,185 (base + destination) here in Atlanta. Is this a good price???
    It says :-
    * Price include standard factory equipment.
    * Price does not include tax,freight,fees or dealer installed accessories.
    How much will these add up to??
    Does it require any dealer installed accessories??
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The fees will depend on the state which one lives in. I paid $17,000 for my LX Sedan with the slush box and this price included the destination costs. I would have liked to have paid around $16,800., but all the dealers I contacted in South Florida wouldn't budge past $17,299. The dealer where I finally bought knew that I was a serious buyer and also that I could have waited till I got closer to my target price. Going back & forth finally got us to the $17k, I came up a bit & they came down a bit. Finally decided I could live with the 17k price, as I knew that I wouldn't go above 17.3.
    Good luck with your purchase, and just remember, some areas will see higher prices & some will see lower prices. Timing is also a big factor also and never, ever let them know that you have to have a particular car...NOW! It's your money and there are deals to be had out there...just have some patience and keep a target range that you will feel comfortable with. No need to make this experience stressful...enjoy the game a bit!!!

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    jopadmanjopadman Member Posts: 27
    Believe me, I know your pain. It's the same here in Houston, TX. I've been quoted the exact same prices here, with the lowest being $18,883 driveout price. Since i don't think i can stomach paying almost $19,000 for a civic, my plan is to wait it out til the '07 comes out in the fall. prices will sure to drop then because dealers are going to want to get rid of the remaining inventory to make room for them. How bout anyone here in Houston or the state of Texas? How much are you guys paying?
  • Options
    battlestationsbattlestations Member Posts: 14
    In March and April my wife and I drove about every configuration of Camry, Corolla, Altima, Sentra, Accord, Civic (except SI - too old to be shifting gears), Element, and CR-V, that they make. All of the test driving, internet researching, Motor Trend test results, and the fact that I had a 12 year old Accord LX led us to declare the Civic EX Sedan as the winner in our bang for the buck competition.

In May we kept negotiating til we got a $18K out the door price from our home town dealer. Our saleman quit on us and the next day the sales manager (who wrote down the price) said they would not honor the price. So we walked.

We had been looking at an out of town dealer (who had been sticking with a higher price)so, we went back to them. We had the old Accord for sale but this dealer offered us considerably more than it was worth to do a trade.

End result: We bought the Civic Sedan for MSRP less the trade which got us at where we wanted to be when we sold the old car and bought the new one. Add the fact they later told us they had to spend $2k on repairs and the fact we knew that we had an additional cost of at least $1.5K that we would have to spend on it within the next year (timing belt, tires, brakes), we came out smelling like a rose. Our salesman was really a great person (he had to be when we started to walk over $31.54).

So we decided to sell our gas guzzeling pick up truck and get a 2nd Civic. This time a different color Sedan or Coupe. (I kinda fell for the Coupe)This time we had to sell the truck before a new purchase. In the mean time our salesman tells us (the other one didn't)that he is quiting to move away. But we were unable to sale the truck before he left.

The home town dealer calls and wants to make a deal (they don't know we already bought one).

To shorten this story: Truck's been sold but both dealers kept going up on the price due to the "high demand" The best we got was $19,650 ($19,550 2 days ago)and they can't find the coupe we want. May wing it on 1 car til the 07's start getting plentiful around Oct-Nov.

We have delt with about 9 Honda dealers during all of this and been lied to, been told countless times "that stuff you get off the internet is not right". One dealer told me I'd never sell my truck for what I did.

This has been an experiance I wouldn't wish on anybody. I could write a book.
  • Options
    jamison1jamison1 Member Posts: 4
    like many of you i spent months looking at civic, message boards, prices, etc. and when went to buy found no budging on price from MSRP worth mentioning. Also finding a manual on lx or ex sedans seemed next to impossible.

looking as the civic prices aren't going to change and end of year closeout sales don't seem foreseeable due to demand i decided to get a mazda 3i touring. This model gets gas mileage close to civic and is great so far. This is the third year of this generation so i'm not worried about any "new car bugs."

Got car for $300 over invoice, then just TT&L, no games.
  • Options
    aj4aj4 Member Posts: 14
    Hey.

You dont have to pay 16.55 k also for honda civic lx auto 4 dr. (assuming this is excluding the dest. charge)

I got firm quotes of 16.8 k from Mahwah honda and bay ridge honda. Hudson honda was quoting about 150$ more than these. The price of 16.8 k is inclusive of destination charge (so you pay only 250$ over invoice). Additionally just paid 45$ for doc fee. In fact NY and NJ are the best areas to buy civic when I see other areas people paying close to msrps.

Be persistent. Negotiate for otd price. Negotiate over the phone for a few days - play one dealer quote against the other. Also dont spend a lot of time on dealers with just 1 civic in their inventory. Look for my previous post.
  • Options
    Going in to the dealership today to put my deposit down for a civic lx sedan with a/t. going to bite the bullet after 2 months of ongoing negotiations, i'm finally giving in.
  • Options
    Congrats! You'll love the car!!!

The Sandman :):)
  • Options
    phm0978phm0978 Member Posts: 4
    Try to get it for, Base (16450) + destination (550). That would be a very good price given the current market scenario.

Try to get the all season mats, leather steering - wheel cover, wheel locks, cargo net if you paying $17185
  • Options
    oxkarrusoxkarrus Member Posts: 7
    > You dont have to pay 16.55 k also for
    > honda civic lx auto 4 dr. I got firm
    > quotes of 16.8 k from Mahwah honda and
    > bay ridge honda. Hudson honda was quoting
    > about 150$ more than these.

i'm not sure how credible these "quotes" are. i got a quote for a civic lx auto 4 dr in that price range over the phone yesterday from a honda dealer some distance away, and we drove there expecting to buy the car.

well, when we got there, they immediately added $500 to the price, and then shook us down HARD for a $500 undercoating package, putting the actual price just a few $100 below MSRP. when we balked at the undercoating, they backed out of the whole deal, and wouldn't sell the car ("normally this car sells for ABOVE MSRP and i would get fired if i sold it to you at that price, the guy you spoke to on the phone made a mistake, he's getting fired, etc." blah blah blah). we walked out, and now i'm rethinking my long relationship with honda.

i've been seeing these 16.55 k quotes for a civic lx auto 4 dr thrown around on the internet, and i now believe they are a myth. if someone convinces me they they drove the car off the lot for that price, i would be impressed, but i have seen no evidence that this is possible in the current market.
  • Options
    I was hoping for that price also, but not 1 dealership in South Florida would get that low. I was happy when the dealer I actually bought from got down to $17k. I took it and after 2 weeks, love the car. Supposed to be buying EX rims from a co-worker soon.

• Options
    Was your drive out price $17K or was that price before tax, title, license and other fees? Because I can't get anywhere near that here in south texas. Lowest total drive out price here including tax, title and license was $18,883 and that was the lowest. Drive out price went as high as $19,400 and when i tried to talk them down to 18,600, they didn't even respond.
  • Options
    I just went in today to put a $500 deposit on a silver civic lx sedan with a/t. They said they would probably receive it by the end of the month. Just interested to know any experiences out there of anyone who put a deposit down and how long it took to receive the vehicle and did they try to change the price that you intitally agreed upon. Also, if the car doesn't come when they say, easy it is to get your deposit back. Or if another dealership has the car, can you get your deposit back and buy from someone else? would appreciate any info
  • Options
    jared1000jared1000 Member Posts: 20
    Hi all --

I am planning to purchase a civic coupe EX with navi in the LA area and I was wondering if there is any bargaining room. I see on edmunds that the TMV is 20,933 and invoice at 19,760. I was hoping to achieve 20k.

Please let me know what kind of experiences you have had. Thanks!
  • Options
    elppaniarelppaniar Member Posts: 2
    OH my god... I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you got the car you want now. Same thing happened to me today when I have negociated everything in the emails back and forth and finally went into the dealship and realized they were bunch of liers! I drove 50 miles and came back empty handed and full frustration.

Why do they have to lie? I don't get it...

Add one more not-to-go dealership: Riverside Honda in Riverside County in SoCal.
  • Options
    elppaniarelppaniar Member Posts: 2
    Hi all --

I am planning to purchase a civic coupe EX with navi in the LA area and I was wondering if there is any bargaining room. I see on edmunds that the TMV is 20,933 and invoice at 19,760. I was hoping to achieve 20k.

Please let me know what kind of experiences you have had. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------

Have you gotten your car yet? Please share your experience with me. I got a really bad experience on getting the Civic EX sedan.
  • Options
    aj4aj4 Member Posts: 14
    Hi OxKarrus.

Well - u did the right thing to walk out of the dealership - they deserved it.

Quote of 16.8k is not a myth. I actually bought my car from bay ridge honda at that price. After NY tax and title the total price came to 18.4k.

Additionally mahwah honda person was also very professional and seemed genuine - he never tried to upsell us and backed out when we tried to bring his price down to 16.4k. I actually liked mahwah honda better than bay ridge honda (on phone the mahwah honda seemed more professional and truthful than bay ridge guy), but bought at bay ridge since it was closer to my home.

Lastly if you dont want to negotiate , you'll get a no haggle internet price of around 17k from hudson honda. I didnt bother to go there, since their price was beaten by bay ridge and mahwah.

One more thing - Bay ridge honda did not give price of 16.8 over the phone. I just walked in there and they simply matched the best price i had.

Hope the above details help u :)
  • Options
    buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    Got a quote of $400.00 over invoice. Not inluding CA. tax/lic & destination. Ventura County. We sat down with the manager and he quickly stated that they would not consider our offer of 400 over invoice. So me and my wife instantly got up to walk out and he stoppped us at the exit door and told us that he would make that deal with us if were serious and ready to buy now. We told him we would call him and offer 300 over invoice (LOL) and walked out after telling him to think about that for a while.
  • Options
    Below you will find information and a price quote on the car we have available that comes closest to what you specified.

Year
    Make
    Model
    Color
    Stock #
    M.S.R.P.
    Internet Price*
    Drive Out Price

Honda
    Civic LX
    Any
    N/A
    $18,060.00
    $17,167.62
    $

* Internet Price/Drive Out Price does NOT include dealer-installed options.

Drive Out Price includes all taxes and fees.

*Your XXXXXXX Honda Internet Price is valid ONLY on purchases made directly through our Internet Department using our Internet Sales Manager. If the Drive Out Price includes a trade-in, our used car manager will have to physically appraise your vehicle in person before a final drive out price will be valid.
  • Options
    > 2006 Honda Civic LX
    > $17,167.62

if that price doesn't include DEST FEE then it is about $340 below MSRP, which is typical for an internet price.
  • Options
    millersnmemillersnme Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Honda Civic for $17,250 Honda Civic LX Auto and AC.
  • Options
    > I bought a 2006 Honda Civic for $17,250 Honda Civic LX Auto and AC.

Does that include DEST?
  • Options
    It includes Destination price the same dealer gave a out of the door price of $19000.
  • Options
    > It includes Destination price the
    > same dealer gave a out of the door
    > price of $19000.

i don't know what sales tax is where you are, or what other dealer fees you had to pay, but at 6% tax and $400 xfer fees, that puts you at about $500 below MSRP.

not bad, a little more than the standard internet discount i am seeing ($250).
  • Options
    When I bought my LX 2 weeks ago, the newspaper had an ad for $1060. off MSRP. Seemed o k to me, so I got the car for $17k, which still was about $50 above invoice. Having never paid above invoice for a car before & not liking a 1st year model, I broke both my rules and bought the "06 LX.
    Still very happy with the car and getting about 32 mpg's all city with the 2nd tank done. With only about 500 miles on the car, I feel that I can eventually reach 34 to 36 in town easily. Hell, I was lucky to be getting 24 mpg's on my '03 Sentra & the 1.8 liter engine is sweet in the Civic. Not thrashy like the Sentra's and the shifts are much smoother also.
    Was it worth it...definitely. When I wanna get real sporty, I drive the wife's 3s.

• Options
    > the newspaper had an ad for $1060. off MSRP.
    > Seemed o k to me, so I got the car for $17k,

MSRP is $17,510. Sounds like they were actually taking $1060 off MSRP+DEST, which comes out to $17K.

> which still was about $50 above invoice.

Actually, invoice is $16,018, but $17K is still pretty good in this market.
  • Options
    romanok7romanok7 Member Posts: 1
    Since nobody in Atlanta area will sell LX less that 18.5 otd, what should I offer for a 3000 mile used 2006 LX 4d? They asking 17600 for used... crazy
  • Options
    vhreb123vhreb123 Member Posts: 83
    Is it really worth paying a 06 Civic LX with automatic transmission for around MSRP due to high deamand? I think a good idea would be to ask for the price of TMV:What Others Are Paying on Edmunds. Better yet, I should negotiate with the 3% holdback off base MSRP. That leaves 9% state tax, fees, and title. The total should be around $19,000. Is it me, or is the price WAY too high?

*By the way, the dealer is not gaureenteed to let you in on holdback so don't get your hopes up.

*If dealers sold a bit over invoice, it would be great.

---Is someone lucky enough to get a out the door price which includes tax, title, and all fees for a price in upper $17,000 or lower $18,000?
  • Options
    Of course it's not worth it. Personally, I can't see myself paying $19K for a civic lx sedan and that's exactly what i told the dealer. I got a drive out price of $18800 and thats with tooth and nail negotiations. tried to go as low as $18,600 on several dealers but they wouldn't budge on their $19,100-$19,413 quotes, so i jumped on the $18,800 this past weekend and placed a $500 deposit to wait on the car at the end of the month
  • Options
    I know exactly what you have experienced. Due to high demand, they won't sell low. Never, no way is it going to change anytime soon. The best I could do is $500 of MSRP plus tax, title, and fees. However, that was a price I got from only 1 dealer so I just might go to several others and get some free online quotes.
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    The thing is, it's almost the end of the model year. So you're almost buying last year's car.

Are the dealerships not able to stock them because they're moving so fast?
  • Options
    You're right. It is almost the end of the model year so I guess Honda should already start 07 production. But Honda dealers still aren't willing to go down to much on the 06 cars. They know how much people want the Civic so they inflate the price.
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    You said: "Due to high demand, they won't sell low. Never, no way is it going to change anytime soon. "

Don't be too sure. Honda will be cranking out hundreds of thousands of these things. Meanwhile, Hyundai is releasing the new Elantra. Nissan has the newly redesigned Sentra. Next year, Toyota will ship a totally new Corolla.

There will be plenty of competition. Honda dealers won't be quite to proud of their Civics.

As a side note, and in support of what I've said above, I stopped by a local Honda dealer this week , because they had some of those new Fits on the lot, and I wanted to see one up close. After I checked them out, I noticed that they had dozens of Civics on the lot. That's the first time they'd had that many of the 2006 models.

This is in Orlando, Florida. Perhaps the sitution is different elsewhere...
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I tried to buy an 06 Civic Sedan (LX or EX) back in late June in Northern Virginia and had a horrible time trying to negotiate. Having just purchased an 06 Odyssey EX-L from Hendrick Honda, I tried them first and the best they could do was offer MSRP but throw in the appearance package free. Thanks but no thanks. Their final offer was to throw in the appearance package and take $200 off MSRP (the dealer also had a $289 processing fee)...

Then I emailed several other local Honda dealers (including Criswell in Maryland). None of the local dealers had a manual LX or EX sedan in stock and it would be weeks before they could get one. The best offer I received was for $500 under MSRP on an 06 EX sedan (manual). The price they (Criswell) quoted me was $18,500 before TT&L and $99 dealer fee. They also told me I needed to put down a $500 deposit to keep that price even though they could not tell me when I would actually get my car (probably two weeks)..

Finally, I got tired of the games and drove an 06 Corolla S, and an 06 Mazda 3i touring. I ended up getting a completely loaded Mazda 3i Touring (comparable to the Civic EX for features) for 17K (that price included destination and dealer fees).

It is still a very tough market for the new Civics.. If folks get the run around, I say either wait or look at other options (like the Mazda 3)...

Good luck!
  • Options
    roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Although I live in AL (on AL-GA state line), I contacted several dealerships in the greater Atlanta area and got several OTD quotes for Civics around $17,500-17,800. Now this did not include my AL tax of 2% that I would have had to pay when I registered my car in AL.
    However, they were not consistent in their e-mail communication, and I ended up with 3 AL dealers trying to get my business. I was persistent and got my Civic for $17850 OTD. Keep trying, esp. at the end of this month!
    That used car--is it a program car or what? You are right. That is a crazy price for 3000 miles.
  • Options
    It is different from where I live. Very different. It is difficult to pick the exact car you want for a very good price. The best I can do so far is TMV price on Edmunds which is $17,303. I can get the 06 Accord VP with automatic transmission for the same price.

By the way, does anybody have any input on this:
    I have 3 cars that I am considering to buy.

1.06 Honda Civic LX with automatic transmission
    2.06 Honda Accord VP with automatic transmission
    3.06 Hyundai Sonata GLS with automatic transmission

The thing is that midsize cars like the Accord and Sonata is about $400 more a year in insurance cost than the Civic (Accord insurance is the most). However, I can get an Accord for just a little bit over the Civic. A out the door price I got on the Accord VP is $18,520.56 and on the Civic LX is $18,258.31. The Sonata out the door is under $18,000. But due to better fuel economy and $400 less a year in insurance on the Civic, I am struggling to pick out a car (The total cost to own will eventually make the Civic cost less). I do like the Accord and Sonata better because of more room and horsepower, but liking it won't save me any money, now will it?
  • Options
    roundtrip, I also live in Alabama. Birmingham to be exact. Where did you get your Civic?
  • Options
    so what ever happened? Did you finally get the car? I put down a deposit myself and they told me it should be by the end of the month. Did you ever get the car?
  • Options
    If i could get a drive out price of $18,258 i'd jump at it and sign over my check. What price were you looking to pay for the civic lx?
  • Options
    twodapartytwodaparty Member Posts: 3
    "If i could get a drive out price of $18,258 i'd jump at it and sign over my check. What price were you looking to pay for the civic lx?"

I would say it's possible. Of course it depends on the supply and demand in your particular neck of the woods. Some areas just have different costs of living and economies than others. I'm in south Florida and just purchased a Honda Civic. I wish I had found this message board forum before, because I'm not sure if I get a good deal. I will post the deal I got and where as a reference to others and so people can reply and tell me if they think I could of done better (in this area...in other words they got a better deal on my car in south Florida). Here's what a got.

2006 Honda Civic Lx (2 door coupe) for $18,400 with taxes and all dealer fees. They also gave me $3000 for my 2001 Hyundai Accent GS. I got it at Pompano Honda. We did have to bargain significantly with them to get them down there as they were in the $19,000's out the door to begin with.
  • Options
    I disagree. For $300(Out the door at $18,520) more, I could get a 06 Accord VP four door with automatic transmission from where I live. The downside is the dealer is almost a hundred miles away. I don't want to drive all the way there to have the dealer say they don't have it anymore. Happened to me once and once is enough.

*Insurance is also about $500 more a year. Why? :confuse:
  • Options
    because over here in houston, tx the lowest OTD price i could manage was $18,800. there was a dealer in san antonio (about 200 miles away that offered $18,668, but i figured it wasn't worth it to drive that far for only $132. it would probably cost me that much just for the gas. also i've heard of people driving to another state only to get turned back when the dealer backed off the agree upon price. I've tried for almost 2 months to get the price down to $18,500 but dealers won't budge here. Quotes went as high as $19,319 and when i said another dealer offered me $18,800, they didn't even want to fight for my business and said, well you should go buy it from them. UNBELIEVABLE! So i'd say at $18,258 you've got a bargain
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " 2006 Honda Civic Lx (2 door coupe) for $18,400 with taxes and all dealer fees. They also gave me $3000 for my 2001 Hyundai Accent GS. I got it at Pompano Honda. We did have to bargain significantly with them to get them down there as they were in the $19,000's out the door to begin with. "

That's difficult to figure out as there's variables, like the sales tax rate in your county, amount of the dealer fees, whether $3K is high or low for your trade, and assuming you financed it, the financing terms.

Who knows, they may have figured the sales tax before your trade and ripped you for that difference.
  • Options
    cornholiocornholio Member Posts: 4
    Paid 17200 dealer included Body Side Moulding with that price. So the OTD price was 18630someting. :shades:
  • Options
    cornholiocornholio Member Posts: 4
    Paid 17200 dealer included Body Side Moulding with that price. So paid about 17,070 (+129for BSM) So the OTD price was 18630someting. Dealer was Brookdale Honda.
  • Options
    phm0978phm0978 Member Posts: 4
    Thats a Very Good Price! They refused to go below$ 17600 and hopkins Honda were at $ 17760 and richfield Honda @ $ 18060.

Can you please tell me when did you buy the car and what was its color.

Thanks!
  • Options
    roverxieroverxie Member Posts: 4
    I signed the contract yesterday and will be picking up my new 2006 Civic LX Sedan A/T next Monday, for $17599 including everything (5% MA sales tax, documentation, title and registeration). This is at Hyannis Honda, MA, which is a great dealership where people are honest (they don't play games) and easy to talk. Would recommend this dealership whole-heartedly to anyone.

I am totally satisfied with my purchase even though I had to drive 50 miles one way and fight the terrible Cape Cod traffic to get to the dealership.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Can you post all the numbers from your invoice including any financing terms? $17599 OTD with 5% sales tax puts you below invoice.

With all due respect and with the numbers others are posting, unless they made it up on a trade, or ripped you on the financing, or sold you lots of accessories, or it was a demo, or you know the GM of the dealership very well, I just don't believe you.....
  • Options
    roverxieroverxie Member Posts: 4
    I got an internet quote from this dealership at invoice and managed to bargain about $12 off the invoice when I visited them. I paid with cash.

I was just notifed that my car has arrived at the dealership yesterday. I don't know whether I am ripped off or not until I pick it up this coming Monday.

Btw, I did got several (3) internet quotes from dealers about 50 miles from where I live for this vehicle, which range from $17000 to $17600 (before tax and fees but including destination charge). My local town dealer asked for MSRP, which I surely rejected immediately.

So, I suppose in my area you can get this vehicle for $18100-$18600 OTD. What I paid is $500 below the lower number, which I think should not be unimaginable.

I pray they are not crooks to rip me off. ^_^
  • Options
    roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Hi neighbor!
    I bought my Civic LX auto. from Sunny King Honda in Oxford (next to Anniston.)They have built a dealership right off of I-20 at the exit with Cracker Barrel and Fuji Japanese Restaurant. Keep in mind that I dealt completely through e-mail until I accepted his offer on the phone and went in the next day to buy it. They were nothing but professional with me.
    I also dealt with Grissom in Gadsden. Their lowest OTD price was $18,085. I might have been able to bargain even more with them, but I thought Sunny King came down enough. Plus, I wasn't pleased when Grissom contacted me by phone instead of continuing with e-mail. I think when he heard my voice and realized I was a woman, that he decided to try a hard sell over the phone. That was what I was trying to avoid.
    Good Luck!