Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    watercop1watercop1 Member Posts: 18
    My dealer offer leather installed by "Katzskins" installer. The work looks outstanding and it is all high quality leather - not just seating areas. The car they had done smelled like a BMW - nice rich buttery smell and was tight with double stitching. Final price is $875 for one color or $910 for two-tone with suede insert. The installer accounts for the airbag issues. I plan on getting it done for my x-mas present to myself. Honda of Slidell, Louisiana.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Please keep in mind that ALL Honda dealers received notice from Honda specifically stating that we are NOT to do anything that could possibly interfere with any of the "safety systems".

Aftermarket leather is one of the things that Honda talked about.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I just took my son's 05 Civic in for an oil/filter change and walked around the lot at Classic Honda in Orlando on SR50. They had about 3 or 4 new 06 Civics on the lot. Tons of Accords and Odysseys, probably about 50 of each. And no Fits, not even one.
  • Options
    melsinctmelsinct Member Posts: 11
    After waiting 1-1/2 months, I finally took delivery today of my 06 Civic AT w/no Navi in Galaxy Gray. I got it for $18,800, plus 6% sales tax. The interest rate was 6.9% from AHFC for a 5 year term...about what my bank could do (I have excellent credit, and the interest was the same for a 4 year loan, so I just took the 5 and will probably pay it off early). My salesman was telling me they will probably not budge below MSRP until they see how the 07 Civic sells, as there has been no slow down in sales. This was at Liberty Honda in Hartford, CT.
  • Options
    wavegwaveg Member Posts: 2
    Looks like you are getting a good deal. My dealer offered a one color deal for $1100 +tax (it was $1400 first). I am in Northern California, everything is more expensive here.
    My car is one week old, I too plan to give myself a present if I still like this car.
  • Options
    manutdmanutd Member Posts: 14
    For what it's worth, just got a 2006 Civic LX Coupe Automatic. Price was $17,460 to include day night mirror and installation (and delivery). Mirror is $270 plus installation. So basic car was about $17,200, depending on how you value the mirror. Seemed a pretty good price. Many dealers in Twin Cities simply quoted the $17,860 list and added the mirror cost. Best prize goes to the dealer who said they would price match, so I forwarded emails of lower bids and they said, we don't match unless it's just a little less than list. Go figure.
  • Options
    battlestationsbattlestations Member Posts: 14
    Went on a trip this past week to Mississippi. Passed by Peck Honda in Gulfport. They had 2 black Civic AT-EX's and several AT & MT-LX's on the lot along with a EX Nav which they sold while I was there. They quoted $18500 + T & T (would be $19,118 when I paid Alabama T & T. I was floored but I don't want black so I passed, but I really thought about it. Would have put 280 miles on it to get it home and decided to pay off some other bills then buy an 07 unless somebody offers that around here on a gray O6.
  • Options
    dhodgedhodge Member Posts: 7
    What is the difference between the 2? Sunroof?
    Also, how much will they go down since 07 is coming out soon...saw a price in the high 16G plus TT for a LX?
    Also, anyone reccomend a financing place for people with troubled credit buying a new car?
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Sunroof, 4 wheel disc brakes, 6 speakers (tweeters on each side by the windshield), different seat fabric, audio controls on the steering wheel. There might be another difference, but it escapes me for the moment.
    Ended up putting the tweeters in already & the sound has improved. The only thing I miss is the 4 wheel discs.
    Love my LX.

The Sandman :):)
  • Options
    starscream99starscream99 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 04 Civic VP Sedan with an outstanding 10,000 mileage, with the attractive deep blue body paint! It looks ridiculously new from top to bottom. Dealer priced it at $15,850. We researched it at Kelly Blue Book... $16,200 more or less. Dealer eventually brought the price down to $14,900. I've seen 2 other offers around town of same make (an '04 LX Sedan and an '05 VP Coupe) but with much higher mileage (30,000 and 48,000 respectively) at the same dealer's price, at/around $14,900.

This is my first car purchase, and I'm needing to replace my '93 Mustang junker for a good car with low mileage because I drive 60 miles a day to/from work. Should I second guess my purchase? With that low mileage, is it a fair deal compared with said similar offers? I need my head straightened, but I'm still satisfied with the car.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Using Edmunds as a guide, I came up with a dealer retail price of $13338 and for a certified vehicle $14347. That's for a vehicle in "clean" condition. According to folks in the biz that frequent here, nothing is in "excellent" condition that is over a week old.

But then again, I've seen the prices for certain vehicles like Civics way off at KBB and Edmunds. Good luck.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    "My dealer offer leather installed by "Katzskins" installer.
    Final price is $875 for one color or $910 for two-tone with suede insert. The installer accounts for the airbag issues"

First off, I am also considering Katzskins on my Mazda3, after doing considerable research on aftermarket leather. IMHO the quality and color choices are way better than most of the leather offered by the manufacturer.

The prices you quoted seem like very fair prices for installed Katzkins (I am getting quoted between 900-1000 for two-tone). Also, you are correct, Katzkins accounts for side airbags, and will not inhibit their ability to deploy. This was one of my biggest concerns when looking at adding aftermarket leather.

While I like the leather in my 06 Honda Odyssey, I do think the Katzkin leather appears to be of a higher quality..
  • Options
    pete_rocpete_roc Member Posts: 11
    Hi All

I'll be shopping for a new 2006 Civic LX auto and want to put a max cap of $500 over invoice. Is this reasonable (So Cal area)? I know the car is in high demand but surprisingly, most dealers have a dozen or so to choose from. This is the last week of the month so maybe they are willing to deal. Has anyone bought a civic for $500 over invoice?

Peter
  • Options
    watercop1watercop1 Member Posts: 18
    I don't know it Katzskins sells the installer leather covers that have "weak points" built in or if the installer takes it upon himself. I have seen a finished product and there are seams with stitching where the airbags deploy. It was enough to give me the warm and fuzzy. Results may vary - I would talk first hand with the installer to express your concerns.

Bob
  • Options
    I bought my LX last month for this price. Really wanted to pay closer to $16,750., but no dealer would come that low. The best I could do with the General Manager was 17k, and he let me know that "I was killing him"!
    Great car & I feel I got a fair price considering the market forces at play currently.

• Options
    thedstromthedstrom Member Posts: 1
    One must realize that the demand for small compact cars has increased in the last couple years, but I purchased my 2004 Civic VP Sedan brand new for $13900 in February of 2004.

I've put 47,000 miles on it without any problems. The road noise is about my only complaint. The car is holding up real well. Fuel economy ranges between 37 and 42 mpg depending on how you drive it.
  • Options
    ahzroeahzroe Member Posts: 13
    I committed to purchase this today in Galaxy Gray Metallic. Price was $19922.64 plus tax, tags and fees. The "fees" are a dealership processing charge of $249.50 ($20172.14 + TTL). I found a Honda OEM XM Satellite Radio Kit, new and in box. I plan on purchasing it and have the dealer install for about $200. Purchase was made at Phil Bachman Honda in Kingsport, TN.....

Thoughts?
  • Options
    phil_in_socalphil_in_socal Member Posts: 28
    pete_roc, $500 over invoice on lx is just about right. i got my 06 civic ex sedan auto galaxy gray for $600 over invoice.

get an online quote from hollywood of honda, that's where i got mine. worked with the internet sales manager, they're mostly the fleet manager and can get you the best deal available.

hollywood of honda is on santa monica blvd between vine and highland in the city of hollywood, good luck!
  • Options
    joelmhjoelmh Member Posts: 2
    ok- I'm looking for my first purchase and would like to know what folks around the Atlanta, GA area have paid for a 2006 Honda Civic LX, automatic, with standard features. Also, if anyone's got good things to say about a particular dealer in Atlanta, that would be helpful.
  • Options
    juchejuche Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I recently received an online OTD quote on a '06 Civic LX sedan A/T (though now I want a coupe) from San Francisco Honda for $18,450. So far I haven't found anyone else in the Bay Area/Sacramento who can beat that. Since I won't move to California until September 1 (I'm currently in Salt Lake City, and no one can even come close to that price), should I wait until I get there and hope the price will either remain the same or go down, or buy now? The internet dealer said the price would either stay the same or go down, but who knows, it seems like the '06 is still selling like crazy, even with the '07s coming in. Thanks!
  • Options
    battlestationsbattlestations Member Posts: 14
    EXcellent!!! :surprise: :) Wish I could get one in LA (Lower Alabama) for that. :cry: Dealer fee (especially anything over $199)is accually a rip off. :mad: But you still got a good price. ;)
  • Options
    mahirimahiri Member Posts: 26
    Hello,
    I just bought a black honda civic si in oakland ca for 22,500; the dealer mark-up was 25,800. I see that the tmv is 20,840. Did I get a good deal?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,954
    did you get any options? If not, then no, you didn't get a good deal because you paid over sticker.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    no options; so how much did i overpay? and does it ever make sense to pay over sticker?
  • Options
    You bought the car so why should you care? If your happy with the car, that's all that matters...right? And if someone says that you overpaid, are you going to feel cheated that you may have gotten a bad deal & could've done better...?
    Just be happy and enjoy the ride!

• Options
    sounds right; done.
  • Options
    john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    Thank you, sandman.

That is the point. Honestly post your price and don't worry about one-upping your fellow posters with exaggerated postings of how low of a price you paid. There are tons of factors that might make $18 K a good deal in Anchorage and $22 K a good deal in Omaha for the same car. If it's a done deal, just report it and enjoy the ride. If it isn't a done deal, that is the time to ask for advice to see if you can get a lower price.
  • Options
    ballasmoothballasmooth Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know a dealer with great prices on the ES in the Philadelphia area, particularly Montgomery/Bucks counties? Maybe a special promotion? And what's a good price to pay?
  • Options
    aznbreakeraznbreaker Member Posts: 1
    So im considering to buy a honda civic ex 4 door manual 98 for 3300. Originally the guy wanted 4.5k for it but we took some stuff off - Pioneer 7inch pulldown dvd player incl the subwoofers and the rims he has. Im just wondering, with a changed motor that has 40k on it and with the body having 193k, would this be a ok price?
  • Options
    vickisumvickisum Member Posts: 3
    :) I just bought a Civic lx sedan a/t 2006 in Southern California. Riverside Metro. 16,900 Every color was available. I haggled with about 10 dealers online. You might look at a more outlying area than San Francisco. San Jose or Oakland? Good luck
  • Options
    roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    I'm 90 miles from Hot'lanta and would have bought from there if the price was right. It wasn't for me, but...
    Try e-mailing all of the Honda dealers in the greater Atlanta area (listed in the Atlanta Constitution car section.) They'll start with MSRP but will come down if they know you are looking at their competitors. How much they will come down is another thing. Many of the dealerships in and around Atlanta have their inventories on-line, too.
  • Options
    the others are obviously exactly right. Its too late to worry about it. You were happy enough with the deal to buy it, so now go enjoy it.

As far as the general question, "is it ever a good idea to pay over sticker?" well... in my personal opinion, no. BUT, for those with money to burn and an itch to gamble, I could see the appeal to someone who may have paid $10k over sticker for a new Ford GT when they first came out and then turning around and selling it for $50k over sticker.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    juchejuche Member Posts: 6
    what did that come out to OTD? that sounds like a pretty good price. yeah, i'm checking out the sacramento area too, but so far no luck. i think i may just go for the $18.450. thanks for replying!
  • Options
    joelmhjoelmh Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the heads-up. Do you mind me asking what you paid for yours and where you got it from? I'm thinking of driving out to Alabama but really, should I even have to do that?
  • Options
    mateo150mateo150 Member Posts: 11
    I recieved in via email a price quote for a honda civic ex w/navigation for 18990, all the specs are written down. I called to say do it and the saleswoman who sent me the quote (the "internet sales manager") said it was a mistake and that the real price was 20310. I have the original price quote in writing and want them to honor that price. This is a clear cut case of bait and switch correct? I can probably get the 18990 because I have it in writing, right? I expect the the dealership to try to hammer me with fees and junk like that if I do insist on the 18990 price, what will they try to stick me with? Any advice would help, I'm a first time poster and first time new car buyer.

Thanks

Matt
  • Options
    joelmh

Civic LX AT, alabaster silver metallic
    $16649.04 --car
    $ 550.00 --destination fee
    $ 16.50 --title and license
    $ 199.50 --document prep. :(
    $ 86.99 --0.5% city tax
    $ 347.97 --2% state tax
    $ 0.00 --mud guards
    $ 0.00 --tank of gas
    $ 0.00 --3 oil changes
    $17850.00 grand total,out the door, and $150 under my target price

I bought it at Sunny King Honda in Oxford, AL (Calhoun Co.)
    right off of I-20. I used the Internet sales dept. and had 3 dealerships corresponding with me.

AND no you shouldn't have to travel here, to AL. I can't imagine why you couldn't get a good deal somewhere around Atlanta.
  • Options
    pochipochi Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote of 2006 Civic LX sedan auto, $16,767 + TTL, in Fremont CA. But it is 90 miles away from me. I cannot find a better price nearby. Is it reasonable to drive 90 miles back and forth to buy a car? If there is anything wrong with the car, should I go back to the same dealer?
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Matt -

Sadly, an e-mail is NOT a contract; they don't have to honor the price they quoted you.

What dealership are you dealing with? It's okay to post that information here.

You might want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau - not that it'll do much, but it'll probably make you feel better.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
  • Options
    :) It came to 18,420 otd. The reason I suggested the outlying areas is that the sales tax isn't the same in every county. I think the 18,450 is a good price. Go for it.
  • Options
    Take the e mail quote to closer dealers. See if they will match it.
  • Options
    Of course, riposte is right. They don't need to honor anything they don't want to.

the last poster had a good idea, though. Take the email around to dealers. THEY don't have to know it was a "mistake."

• Options
    mateo150mateo150 Member Posts: 11
    Aren't there laws about that? I was reading up on bait and switch and it comes across to me that what Lehigh Valley Honda (Vinart auto dealerships) did was illegal. They pitched me a price and I went in, then they said the price was no good and gave me a different price.

I recieved a call from the floor manager and she apologized and offered the price of $20130, claiming MSRP was $21700. I think the Edmunds TMV price is around $20500. I asked her to honor the original price quote and she said the price is $20130. If the BBB can't do anything, what other recourse do I have?
  • Options
    saintlouisdonsaintlouisdon Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased the Civic LX in the Saint Louis area recently?
  • Options
    Recourses:
    If you have a news program that investigates bad businesses, you could contact them. No guarantee. :confuse:

Write a letter to the editor. No guarantee. :confuse:

Tell everyone you know what they did. It helps. :D

Find a better deal and rub it in their face with a letter to every one of their sales managers. Feels good. ;)
  • Options
    mammenmammen Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Civic EX Sedan AT (Galaxy) from Honda of Oakland last week for $18363 (including Dest Fee). This is $200 over invoice. With the state high 8.75% sales tax, here is what the final out-of-the door price came to:
    Vehicle Price: $18363
    Doc Prep : $45
    Sales Tax : $1611.14
    License Fees : $119
    CA Tire Fees : $8.75
    Total : $20209.89
  • Options
    dsrtsanddaddsrtsanddad Member Posts: 4
    hi there.
    i live in SD - and i am close to buying an LX also - i have heard 500 over invoice - look around - they are out there.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I am sorry to read about the bait and switch. We have bought 7 cars from Vinart Dealerships and never had any problems. We never got a price over the internet, we like to deal in person. They have always been upfront and honest with us and have told us to try getting prices from other dealerships. We do and they always give us the best price. They also give excellant service. We used to live 50 miles from the dealership but moved to NC and tried having our car serviced at dealership near us. Very disappointed so since we go up north often we schedule service at L.V. Maybe you could go thru small claims court.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Based on the price they quoted you, they might have made the mistake of quoting a Civic w/o Navi.

If it was an honest mistake, then you have no recourse.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Even if it is a dishonest mistake, you probably have no recourse...

So.. either they honestly made a mistake, which means you probably can't buy it at that price anywhere else, either.. Or, they lied to you, and you probably can't buy it for that price anywhere else...

Either way, you haven't really lost anything... If someone else will give you the price they originally quoted, then buy it there... If no one else will give you that price, then all they have done is just waste your time.

While it is frustrating and irritating, the best thing is to just move on.. There are a lot of Honda dealers out there...

Just my $0.02
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator