Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    c_hackc_hack Member Posts: 20
    I like the Nav system for convenience, but have found the maps to be almost 5 years out of date, and the points of interest (stores, gas, etc.) to be almost 10 years out of date in my area. I would recommend testing the Nav before buying. :(
  • Options
    hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I'm in San Francisco. There are other dealers with better prices. I went to Anderson's Honda in Palo Alto. The quote I got for a Civic Coupe LX manual was $16,355 + tax,fees (17,993.75 OTD). SF Honda was about 300 more. I opted for the Civic Coupe EX manual at 17,988 (19,780 OTD). SF Honda was 300 higher for the EX. In late June, Fremont Honda was selling the LX Coupe for 15,855 and 17,734 for the EX, however the price was the same as SF Honda in the first week of August. I picked up my car last weekend at Andersons.
  • Options
    mattdinilmattdinil Member Posts: 1
    After several weeks of research (mostly on this site, thanks for all the help) we bought this car for this price in Northern IL:

2005 Civic EX sedean Auto, grey/grey w/22k miles. Sale price $15,600 and I got the dealer to give me the new car loan rate so 39 months @ 6.29%.

OTD it was $16,800 w/plates, tax, etc. $2k down, so financed $14,800 and payments are about $420 for 39mo.

Drove it home (about 50 miles) and already love it.
  • Options
    adprendeadprende Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a Civic LX AT from Goldsboro Honda in NC for 17,800 OTD

16748-Car
    398-Doc Fee
    502-Tax
    95-State Filing
    56-Tag, Lic
  • Options
    mahirimahiri Member Posts: 26
    Hey All,
    Just bought and Si, but have never driven a manual transmission before. For the first week I had the car, my girfriend and I left it sitting in front of the house, and rented a manual transmission car to learn on. After a few days, I tried to drive my new Si and did well for two days, but have now started to stall and am still getting used to starting from a stopped position on a hill.

I'm thinking that I should probably rent the manual tranmission car again for a few weeks and drive it every day to and from work, including on hills, become comfortable with it, and then drive my new car.

Any thoughts on this strategy, how long it generally takes to learn manual transmission, and/or my not driving my new car until I am very comfortable. Notwithstanding the fact that I cannot yet drive my new car well, I love it and doen't want to damage the transmission.

Thank you for any thoughts.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    There's certainly nothing wrong with your method. Its probabaly even a good idea.

The general amount of time to learn is a very individual thing. You just gotta keep at it for as long as it takes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Should I worry about screwing up the transmission on my new car?
  • Options
    should you worry about it? yes. Will you? I don't know. There's no way for me to tell without seeing you drive it.

basically, if you smell anything burning while driving, if you hear anything grinding while shifting, or if you just aren't driving it smoothly, then, yes, you are hurting it to one degree or another.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I have been driving cars with manual transmission since 1971. It does take time to get used to it and each car has a little different clutch so you have to adjust accordingly. There is more of a chance of screwing up the clutch especially if you keep your foot on it. My daughter was going to get a car with manual but decided against it. She had to drive in alot of traffic with alot of traffic lights. After trying to learn on my car she decided automatic was better for her. I personally rather have manual but then I do mostly highway driving. GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    thanks for the thoughts. my first three days driving manual were great. i had very little problem. then, the next two days were horrible and frustrating. i took a day off, and now it is great again. i have a rental car for about a week, and as long as it goes smoothly, i think i'll start to drive my car regularly.

good tip on not keeping the clutch in--i have read that you should not do that.

btw--i love driving stick.
  • Options
    well, its not just "not keeping the clutch in," its not even touching it at all when not shifting. You know that, too, right? That goes for the shifter, too. The clutch pedal and shifter should only be touched when actually shifting. At all other times, hands and feet need to be off!

the slightest bit of pressure will wear the clutch or synchros out over time.

• Options
    i do. the biggest issue i'm having is burning the clutch when i'm trying to engage first gear on a hill. any suggesstions?
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    On a very steep hill, you can pull on the parking brake, (with the button pushed in) to keep you from sliding backward as you let the clutch in. Slowly release the brake as you move forward. Even experienced drivers use this method sometimes.

(Cincinnati is the home of the "Seven Hills" and has more transmission shops per capita than probably anyplace in the US) Some of the hills I stop at are almost 45%!! We have the added advantage of icy roads in winter.

Experience and time will cure most of this. On steep hills letting the clutch in slower to avoid stalling will keep the best of us smelling some burnt clutch now and then.

A new pressure plate, throwout bearing and clutch usually is $400, and required after about 90000-150000 mi, depending on the driving you do. So if you knock off about 20% of your clutch life learning, that is about $80. The rental car thing is a good gig, especially if you've never driven a stick, but start to drive your new car.

do. the biggest issue i'm having is burning the clutch when i'm trying to engage first gear on a hill. any suggesstions?
  • Options
    Please tell me you paid about $900 for your warranty. Otherwise cancel and http myhondawarranty.com and buy a hondacare warranty from Saccucci honda. They seem to have the best prices.

Actually the best prices around still seem steep to me as one of the reasons I'm forking up big $$ to buy a honda is for the reliability anyway. After the initial break in 39-100k should be the sweet spot.

--jjf

Now about the pricing - The sticker was $24,400.00, but since I went I dealt with the Internet Sales Manager, I was offered $17,300 (dealer invoice was $16,800 - so I paid $500 over invoice) - MSRP was $17,500.

Now, I did a couple of upgrades - I added a rear spoiler(with tail light enclosed), fog lamps, upgrades to the EX rims from the LX wheel-coverings, had a Low-jack installed, and purchased an 8yr/120k extended warranty. OTD pricing with all the upgrades was $24,100.
  • Options
    yhmokyhmok Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking that I should probably rent the manual tranmission car again for a few weeks and drive it every day to and from work, including on hills, become comfortable with it, and then drive my new car.

Since you are renting a manual car to practic, I would offer this advice from when I was learning how to drive in England - Yes, we learn how to drive from a manual.
    For down hill start, it is quiet simple, if it is very steep, start in 2nd gear and just ease off the brake and cluch.
    For up hill, first, pull the hand brake. Then step on the gas and depress the cluch until you feel that the car is trying go pull forward. At that point, release the hand brake, the car should start moving forward and just step on
    more gas. Once you master the start, you should practice going up hill controlling the speed without using the brake. Just slow the car down by pressing little by little on the cluch until the car stops on and up hill with the gas still on. By adjusting the gas and cluch level, you should be able to start and stop the car from that point (or even go backwards) just keep starting and stopping without using the brake.
    If you stall the car during the practice, just pull the hand brake.
    In no time you will get the control of the cluch and gas for a manual. The key is not relay too much on the brake
  • Options
    yhmokyhmok Member Posts: 2
    Picked up an GG LX 4 door auto today.
    I'm in the bayarea and the price is $17000 + tax, license & $45 doc fee. This is from Larry Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale.
    I did not get any internet quote form them. All the other internet quotes I've got were higher. I was just going there to test drive the car but then the fleet manager walk out and straight told me the price. So I just say lets do it. May not be the absolute lowest but good enough for me without any haggling. In and out of the dealer in not more then an hour.
    Got a full tank of gas and the first oil change for free too!
  • Options
    stripebitestripebite Member Posts: 1
    Considering purchase of Civic LX. Dealer quoted $16,800. What would final clost be in state of New York (tax, tags, etc.). Could someone give breakdown of costs?
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    .....how much Honda will discount the '06 Civics now that it's again time for the model year close outs?
  • Options
    tbellstbells Member Posts: 1
    Where in Virginia did you find that price? I'm in Northern Virginia and the lowest I've found OTD is $18,500.
  • Options
    mfranklinmfranklin Member Posts: 13
    A dealer has agreed to order me a Rallye Red 2007 Civic EX Coupe with Navi for 22,750 + difference in sticker between 2007 and 2006 once that is announced. This is the all inclusive price broken down as follows:
    Selling Price: $20,560 + difference in sticker
    Dealer Fee: $599.95 (can't seem to find a Florida dealer with no dealer fee)
    Battery Fee: $6.50
    Sales Tax: 1269.99
    County Sales Tax: 50.00
    Tags, title and registration (est): $260.00
    Delivered Price: $22,746

Is this reasonable? Should I be trying to do better? What price should I look for? I can't seem to find any florida dealers who will take out the dealer fee. Any suggestions, comments or thoughts are welcome.. Thank you!

Mike
  • Options
    mateo150mateo150 Member Posts: 11
    Got an sedan w/navi and AT for 21440 OTD, funny thing is that the coupe would have been $200 cheaper, even though its MSRP is $200 more. The purchase price was 20060, I think.
  • Options
    Wow!, seems like the price for my Civic Coupe AT with Navi is almost a $1,000 above what it should be based on the pricing of your sedan. Any reason pricing would be so much higher (could it be Florida or the color I want (rallye red?))
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Coming in late here...

Five speed Civics are so unpopular compared to the automatics that some of the smaller dealers don't even order any. you will be lucky to even find one in WA much less for what you are willing to pay.

And,the longer you wait, the worse the situation will get.

You can certainly wait for the 2007's to arrive, probably in October but they won't be any less money.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The NAVI coupes have XM radio which adds about 500.00 in itself. Plus, it's supply and demand issue. These are very rare and this will keep prices up.
  • Options
    mateo150mateo150 Member Posts: 11
    I would maybe have gotten the coupe had I known that it came with XM. I installed sirius satelite radio in my sedan, on the left hand side underneath the odometer display chaning button. It looks good and It only cost $60, although an integrated unit would have been nice. I bought from Ray Price Honda in Stroudsburg, and they did offer me the coupe for $200 less than the sedan. But I had initially asked for the coupe (and the Mazda 3) and they were pitching me the Mazda 3 pretty heavily and the young salesman who I was speaking with seemed like he was trying to get a few more commission dollars. Either way, 22750 OTD seems fairly high, especially when you could probably get an SI for only a little bit more.
  • Options
    Thanks.. Yeah.. 22,750 OTD is really high.. but part of it is the high sales tax in Florida I think. I'm basically paying $500 less than sticker for the car once the dealer fee is added in.. Can't seem to find anyone else here to give me a better price..
  • Options
    "Hey Mike,
    We haven't gotten any word yet about the 2007 civic, as far as I know it won't be arriving anytime soon. Earliest I've heard is way into 2007 probably late february.. What I can do is put you down for a phone call in a few months when I receive my pricing for the 2007 Civic

-XXXX"

Is this true?
  • Options
    gevans17gevans17 Member Posts: 27
    Sorry you cant drive a stick, but what's that got to do with "Prices Paid and Buying Experience"???
  • Options
    Just bought an Si and the salesman is trying to sell me lojack. Anyone have experience with LoJack? It it worth it?
  • Options
    txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

Did you finance your car? If you did, how much was the APR rate?

Does any one know if whether Honda will have a special sale for the Civic on Labor Day weekend? Would that be a better time to buy?

Thanks for all your inputs.
  • Options
    lukeburgerlukeburger Member Posts: 4
    That sounds contrary to multiple dealers I have spoken with. It is also contrary to the history of next year releases. Call another dealer and ask them when they will be purchasing the '07 civics. Also ask them estimated delivery date.
  • Options
    balta1701balta1701 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to buy an 06 Civic near L.A.. When I was in last Thursday, the Mgr. Told me I shouldn't wait more than 2 weeks or so, because the 06's would be gone and the 07's would be in.
  • Options
    graynalgraynal Member Posts: 3
    "Where in Virginia did you find that price? I'm in Northern Virginia and the lowest I've found OTD is $18,500."

I got that price in the Shenandoah Valley.
  • Options
    ericqericq Member Posts: 6
    I went with my 23 yr old daughter to inquire about ordering 4 door 5 speed. Went to no haggle Manchester(CT) dealer. Nice folks. Signed paperwork for 15 Sept delivery of atomic blue model to be built 8/31. Orders for 2007 being written up as MSRP, to be discounted when they have exact 2007 prices. The no haggle price schedule for 2006 is $18830. My daughter is recent BS/RN grad and working. She is buying car/no trade, researched this well and she knows she is paying a premium but her work/living situation steers her to this dealer and it has a decent reputation. Hope this helps out there.
  • Options
    ramusneeramusnee Member Posts: 4
    I bought 2006 Civic LX 4dr AT in Atomic Blue for MSRP from Ralph Schomp Honda in Denver, CO. Other colors at other dealers could save me $200.

According to the dealers I have talked to:

2006 manual transmission sedans are no longer manufactured.
    2007 sedans are identical to 2006 ones.
    2007 sedans are available for delivery starting mid-September.
    2007 pricing is not known yet, expecting $150-300 MSRP increase.

HTH,

RamusNee.
    P.S. Honda and dealer failed to beat 6.0% 5-year "blank check" CapitalOne loan through Costco.
  • Options
    txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    How much did you pay for your car?
  • Options
    dkla76dkla76 Member Posts: 41
    How much should i expect to pay for a lease deal?
    i know accord has clearance deal for 2000 drive off and 200/month for 36 months.

u think i get beat accords deal?
    anyone who has a good idea of a civic lx lease deal?
    help me out~! thanks
  • Options
    ramusneeramusnee Member Posts: 4
    How much did you pay for your car?

MSRP: $17.510 + $595 = $18,105.

The no-haggling dealer did not have any additional fees. I paid taxes, of course, but do not remember how much.

RamusNee.
  • Options
    philtsingphiltsing Member Posts: 2
    Finally I drove the car home. Paid OTD 18,600, Maryland. I know i might save $200 if i keep bargaining or drive 100 miles away to find another dealer. Everything else is nice. I love it!

However, in the price, I saw a price of 0083 Wheel Locks which is separately listed. What is it? ABS? Is it an accessory installed by dealer? I am a new driver, have no idea about this.
  • Options
    pochipochi Member Posts: 4
    Do you have the Wheel Lock installed?
    LX is steel wheels and may not need the wheel lock. Check your wheel.
  • Options
    philtsingphiltsing Member Posts: 2
    I got what is WHEEL LOCKS. I checked my car, they are there.

The dealer never mention that. And you are right too. I might not need them. Anyway, better than nothing. I expected that price is for standard LX/AT seden.

:blush::blush:
  • Options
    pochipochi Member Posts: 4
    Then you should have an adapter for unlocking the wheels.
  • Options
    rjpvrjpv Member Posts: 1
    Hey Civic fans,

Noticed the 06's are getting cleared out so I wanted to ask:

I have a budget of 18000 OTD. Is it possible to grab a LX A/T (coupe or sedan) for that now, or am I dreaming?

Thanks!
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    I sell the 06 LX autop for 18,418.80 OTD. This is for MD and is $545 over invoice, includes splash guards, tax, tags dealer processing.

2006's for the most part are history over here. I expect the 2007's to be priced about $200 over where they are now from the factory..I haven't gotten any word from Honda on 07 pricing.

18,000 otd, I don't think so...it would depend on your states tax, thats the big thing.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I just bought an Si and the salesman is trying to get me to purchase both an interior and exterior treatment. My guess is that these treatments are not worth it? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Those treatments are a joke, but they ARE a huge profit-maker for the dealer!

I'd take a pass on it if I were you.
  • Options
    sixtyfoursixtyfour Member Posts: 3
    2006 Civic EX Coupe AT (no Navigation)
    Bought in Austin, TX

Price paid: $19,855 (MSRP, unfortunately)
    Final OTD price: $21,318

I called several dealers in a 350-mile radius of Austin and the Civics were all going for MSRP.
  • Options
    rputtaguntarputtagunta Member Posts: 20
    2006 Civic EX Sedan 4dr Auto with Navigation.

I am being given a quote of 21,605 + ttl. DFW (Dallas area). I offered to finance it myself with no Trade in.

Doesn't look like a good deal for me, what do you say?
    :sick:
  • Options
    My guess is you are correct.

Also pass on :
    Undercoating
    Vin etching (some police depts do this for free)
    Credit Life
    Extended Warranties (Sigh... if you must myhondawarranty.com eg:8yr/120k $1280)
    Wheel locks
    Tinting (if you absolutely want it pay $80)
    Fabric Treatments (Can of scotch guard especially around pedals and floor mat edges)
    Paint sealant (nyet)

--jjf

Hi,
    I just bought an Si and the salesman is trying to get me to purchase both an interior and exterior treatment. My guess is that these treatments are not worth it? Any thoughts?
    Replies to this message:
  • Options
    rputtaguntarputtagunta Member Posts: 20
    Ramusnee,

Did they insist on putting any extras on the car? Vandergriff in DFW is. Just checking.