Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    battlestationsbattlestations Member Posts: 14
    Where can we find out the invoice prices of Civic accessories ie; fog lights etc? While you can find these for most cars on Edmonds, no options are availible on any Hondas according to the TMV pricing pages.
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    That's a great deal.

Wish I knew about it a week ago. All the dealers down in the South Bay are putting at least $2k over stickers for LX and EX sedans. Don't seem to mark up the coupes at all dealers though.

Some of the dealers who quoted like $500 over invoice are not answering any more and one guy claims prices have gone up tremendously.

Most dealers do seem short of inventory on the sedans so maybe Honda has stopped production leading to a supply shortage but high demand in the face of high gas prices.

Meanwhile you see Toyotas and Mazda 3s discounted or advertised as such anyways. Seems like you can get $1500-2000 less than the Civic on those models.

Anyways, I deposited the money I would have used for a car in a CD so I can't buy for a couple of months. No way I'm paying close to sticker for a 2006 when the model year is almost over.

Maybe 2007s will command crazy prices too.
  • Options
    mammenmammen Member Posts: 2
    You can still good deals (I think) - I was close with 2 other dealerships - Honda of Hayward and Honda of Freemont (Automall). If you are still interested, I'm sure you can get this sort of price, though there may be a challenge getting the color of choice.
  • Options
    brianhlbrianhl Member Posts: 5
    Has 34K miles, automatic trans. They're asking $14,900.
    Car is at a dealer in NC. I am in TN (440 miles from car).
    I offered $12,000. Dealer counter offered "$14,578.00 out the door that price includes all tax tag and fees".

Being in another state, that doesn't mean too much to me, does it? I won't get tags there will I? Or is that for a temp tag? And won't pay tax until I get my tags here.
    And I know some people refuse to pay the Doc fee, but especially this being a used car, should I have to pay a Doc fee? And there should be no Destination fee.
    Should I ask them how much the fees are or just decline their offer?

Also, what are the chances of me getting them to close to $12K? Or at least $13K or below including TTL/fees?
    I know another dealer told me they just sold a similar model, actually a better car (2005, 17K miles), for $13,995, and their listed internet price was $15,900.
    It'll cost me probably $300 or so to fly there and drive it home too.
  • Options
    roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Brianhl
    You have some good questions. You definitely need a breakdown of the prices. It smells a bit fishy.

First, you pay tax for your state, county, and sometimes city. I doubt they figured it according to your situation.

Second, document preparation/document fees are not usually negotiable. Sometimes you get lucky at $45 or you don't at $249 or more.

Third, there should not be a destination fee on a used car.
    That fee was paid by the first owner.

Fourth, I'm not sure about the tags and license. Call your local DMV to get the real deal.

Fifth, I would think long and hard about buying from that far away just in case something goes wrong.

Roundtrip
  • Options
    juchejuche Member Posts: 6
    Forget these guys, I called them up, and the internet dealer (can't name him) was unresponsive, rude, and basically lied to me--he gave me a quote of $16,665 for the LX coupe, said it was good until the end of the month but didn't have the exact model/color I wanted but said it would come in a shipment next week, then today he said that that price isn't guaranteed and could change, and when I told him he told me that he said that price was good until the end of the month, he kept saying, "Last month", even though today was still July! Ugh. And then when I questioned him further, he hung up on me. Called his manager and told him what happened, he said he would honor the original quote I was given, but after that experience, I'm not going to Autowest Honda in Fremont. Put them on your "no go" list.
  • Options
    mahirimahiri Member Posts: 26
    I just bought a Civic Si w/no navigation in Oakland, but the SF Dealership, who I have been corresponding with, asked me to trade it in for one with navigation at their dealership. While I am seriously considering it (I wanted navigation, but the Oakland store did not have it) I am wondering why the SF dealership would offer to trade in a si with nav for my car. How is it beneficial to them? Thanks for any thoughts.
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    It would be beneficial for them if they give you less money for your trade-in than they can sell it for.

Are they offering to give you a trade-in value = what you paid for it for your non-NAV Si? If not, that NAV is going be be mighty expensive.

Don't forget, there are some expenses that you'll be duplicating - things like registration, and if you financed, you may have some kind of fees to pay to register the loan (at least in Florida, there's a charge for that). I don't know about California, but in Florida, they subtract the trade-in value of your trade from the car you're trading it in on, so at least you don't pay full sales tax twice. Is it like that in California? If not, you're paying sales taxes on two vehicles.

I'd be very careful, if I were you.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Honda's Destination fee just went from $550 to $595, as of 8/1/06
  • Options
    mahirimahiri Member Posts: 26
    I guess what I'm wondering if the civic si w/o nav is going to be easier for them to sell; would they rather have my car?
  • Options
    wearssunscreenwearssunscreen Member Posts: 6
    Dud: I'm located in Falls Church(Fairfax County)and can get to anyplace in the greater northern va, dc, or annapolis area. What r your thoughts on warranty's especially the ones from Saccucci and Bernardi Honda that I keep reading about on this site. Please know I am very grateful for all the help.
  • Options
    Don't worry so much about the dealership.

Worry about yourself. Will they give you what you paid for it?

Remember the old saying: "If it seems to good to be true, it is!".

Honestly, new Si's are around, if you look. Even used ones are available. I saw one at a Toyota store yesterday. It was Hab red; the first time I'd seen that color.

Anyway, I would SERIOUSLY question the deal they are proposing to you. There's no reason for them to NOT suggest you trade it in, if you're willing to take a bath on the trade-in value.

Be very careful.
  • Options
    [#4129 of 4135 Used '04 EX Coupe-- by roundtrip Jul 31, 2006 (3:48 pm)]

roundtrip, I've sent to replies to your reply this morning but neither showed up for some reason. Lets try this. Retyping from memory...

So I assume you're agreeing with what I thought was the case, that I pay no tax at the dealership in another state?

I just didn't think buying a used car would require a Doc fee, but I guess so. I do know some people can get out of a Doc fee, even for new cars. Now that I remember, I was able to get out of mine with my last used car. But if I can't get out of it, what is a fair/low Doc fee some dealers charge that I could try to negotiate for?

Obviously I would get my permanent tags in my state, which is when I would pay some or all? tax. But do I pay the dealer for a temp tag? How much is fair for that?

And what about Title (as in TTL)? Is that separate from the Doc fee?

I realize that buying a car that far away is risky, but I've been looking for a couple months and there is very little around here, and those that are are way overpriced.

What do you think I can get this car for?
  • Options
    llknowlesllllknowlesll Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market to buy a 2006 or 07 Honda Civic Sedan EX with navigation and manual transmission. I got a quote from a dealership for $19,975 before tax, tags, and title for a 2007 that I would have to order. Does that sound good? I would rather have an 07 than an 06 because the 06s will be a year old here in a few months. He told me that he couldnt really do any better at this time because he didnt know how much of price increase there would be for the 07s. Is he telling the truth? Why would he quote me something if he did not know what the increase would be yet? What do you all think.
  • Options
    grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    Has anyone had experience, good or bad, in northern virginia?
  • Options
    llknowlesllllknowlesll Member Posts: 2
    That $19,975 price I just found out includes the $550 destination charge. That seems like a good offer on a 2007 Civic EX Sedan, 5spd with Navi?
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I did a lot research on a two door coupe loaded
    and was about to buy a Scion Tc.Driving the Tc
    it was not responsive to the throttle when exiting a turn and the salesman said it was normal because of the computer. I went across the street to Honda and they had one Civic EX
    coupe that just came in, drove it and loved it.
    Paid msrp with wheel locks,and mudflaps thrown in but they did give me $1500 over ACV for my
    trade, not a great deal but the car is nice.The only other car of choice was VW Rabbit but its
    terrible reliability turned me off.
  • Options
    I disagree with the comments on the Scion tC being normal. A friend has had two now, one manual, one auto, and both are very responsive. Even at interstate speeds I was surprised at the acceleration when pressing the pedal just a bit. It feels like more than 164HP. More responsive than my 200+ HP turbo Z. Handles good too.
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I wanted an Accord EX coupe but economics was a factor.Some
    people stretch their debt load to get Bemmers,Audis,etc. but
    I feel comfortable with my load.The Civic EX is an economy
    car in a Tuxedo but still economy (but $19000 is not cheap).
    I thought I wanted a FIT but since none are available and the Civic is rated 30-40 mpg I went that route.What are real
    world MPG.My Sorento got a steady 15mpg commuting and 20
    open highway.Can I expect 30 with the Civic under the same conditions? I think I liked the interior of the Civic better than Scion but the Scion has more power thus only 25 MPG city.You can't go wrong with either.
  • Options
    travisetravise Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently in Iraq, returning next month. I have a Civic SI on order at Trickett Honda in Nashville, TN. 21,626.00 out the door with summer tires and no navi. The dealer assures me that the vehicle will be there for me when I return, but I had a lot of trouble even finding one at other dealerships. The sales person I talked to said I did not need to pay a deposit. It seems that the sales guy was way too nonchalant about the availibility of the car, and when i called him back a couple of weeks later, he remembered me and the car I ordered, but informed me I will be recieving a 2007, not a 2006. This is fine, of course, but will the 2007s even be availible in the middle of September? :confuse:
  • Options
    tofu118tofu118 Member Posts: 2
    i've had my 06 coupe for a 2months now. I dont drive alot and if i do its in the city. I've only put 1500 miles on it and so far its giving out 20mpg. My friend told me that it'll take bout 5000 miles or so or just breaking in the engine before i hit the 28-29 mpg.. but i believe highway is definitely 35 mpg because it handles on highway alot better.
  • Options
    tldunntldunn Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a 2006 Honda Civic LX 4 dr sedan. I have no preference in color. I have flexibility to buy the car as late as December 2006. I was wondering when the best time to buy this car to receive the best deal and still ensure that there are previous year (2006) models available on the sales lot. I am not picky about selection.
  • Options
    mateo150mateo150 Member Posts: 11
    I have a civic EX AT w/navigation in galaxy grey on order for $21422 OTD. I think they are having a hard time locating one though, they offered one in silver, but I told em to look around for a couple more days for the grey. How long did you have to wait for your navi sedan in the color you wanted?
  • Options
    c_hackc_hack Member Posts: 20
    I was looking for a civic EX AT w/navigation last week (any color except black) in the York, PA area. As luck would have it, there was one dealer in Harrisburg (Faulkner Honda) that had the exact car in Galaxy Gray on the lot. It had just arrived the day before and was not claimed. They gave me a great deal - Edmunds trade in value for my '03 Accord and $20,000 (includes dest. charge) for the civic EX AT w/navigation. The salespeople are also some of the nicest to work with in the are. When I left with the car there were no Civic sedans left on the lot (3 LX's just sold).

I've had an aftermarket Nav unit for 2 years and there is no comparison. The screen is much bigger, voice commands, quick sync to the satellites. :) The Civic Navi also has a PC Card slot so you can easily turn it into a 4GB MP3 player.
  • Options
    nheninnhenin Member Posts: 8
    grutza,

lot of dealers in nva. our experiences w/ them vary. remember, the va dealers will try to charge you on average $289-399 processing vs. maryland dealers, who are capped at $99, so look at the final transaction costs when deciding.

there are some high volume dealers in MD, not too far away as well. for instance, ourisman in bethesda, hersons in rockville, college park honda, sport honda in silver spring.

the ones i can think off the top of my head:

browns arlington, bill page-

these are 2 of the smaller ones, so they don't get as much in stock. from our experience, this translates into them holding out for higher prices/profit on each unit they have, especially on hot cars like civics.

so on average, it will take them longer to sell a civic, for instance, than other dealers, because they will hold the line on price at a much higher point. browns used to also be a costco dealership, not sure if they are anymore.

to give you an idea, when we went to bill page this summer, they had "market adjustment" charges on the window stickers of $2000 on almost all the cars on their lot, including accords. add to that, wheel locks for $199 or $299, i can't remember exactly.

landmark, fairfax honda-

both of these belong to the rosenthal chain, which has its fair share of critics. over the years, i've heard a lot of complaints about rosenthal dealers in general, not just honda dealers.

but these two will give you a good amount of selection of colors and trims if you haven't decided. just look out for hidden fees and extras, if their reputation holds true. fairfax is also a costco dealer.

honda of tysons corner-

this also used to belong to rosenthal, but they sold it to a national chain last year. in the past, it had a reputation a a high volume, high pressure dealer. i don't know how much the culture has changed. when we were looking for a civic a few months ago, they surprisingly did not have any in stock, while fairfax honda had about 15.

leesburg honda-

it's a real small dealership, right near the outlets, past lansdowne. it has a retro look and feel to it, but turns out they are an Auto Nation dealer. i think a much needed renovation is surely in the works. they may not have much in stock, so check their website for inventory before you make
    the trek out there.

sheehy alexandria, manassas honda- sorry, i can't help w/ these. i've never been or don't know anyone who has been there.
  • Options
    hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I just picked up a Honda Civic EX Coupe with manual transmission for $17,988 + tax and fees here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I originally wanted to get the Civic LX coupe with manual which is $16,355 + tax/fees. I could not pass up a deal like that for the EX.
  • Options
    graynalgraynal Member Posts: 3
    Is the demand for Civic decreasing any? I've noticed the cars hanging around on lots a fair bit longer, but what I see is only a small slice of the whole picture. What has everyone else noticed?
  • Options
    jopadmanjopadman Member Posts: 27
    Don't think so. Especially since they are going to close down that BP pipeline in canada, gas prices are going to go up again. demand will only increase so if you havent bought one yet, don't expect prices to drop, only increase
  • Options
    aswo1aswo1 Member Posts: 6
    Not hardly. July sales set a record. They forecast 250,000 Civic units for 2006. At this pace, they are well ahead of the forecast.
    -----------------------------
    Honda Division Posts July Record and Second-Best Month Ever

TORRANCE, Calif., Aug. 1 -- Posting increased sales of its best-selling Accord and Civic models, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced record July results of 151,804 Honda and Acura vehicle sales, an increase of 10.2 percent over July 2005. American Honda posted July light truck sales of 67,853, up 11.0 percent for a new all-time record, while year-to-date American Honda total vehicle sales of 893,031 were up 7.5 percent on a daily selling rate basis.

The Honda Division posted its seventh consecutive record month of total sales, delivering 133,601 cars and light trucks to consumers; an increase of 12.7 percent over year-ago results. A new all-time record for light trucks of 63,049 units represents a 12.9 percent increase over same period last year. Record months for the Pilot, at 19,490 units, and the Odyssey, at 18,322 units, reflected increases of 37.6 and 10.7 percent, respectively. The Ridgeline also posted record July results, up 15.5 percent with 4,345 units sold.

As demand continues to outpace supply for Honda's small car lineup, the Honda Civic sold 28,607 units for a 6.2 percent increase, and the all-new Fit sold 3,135 units. Accord sales increased 9.5 percent to 38,043, and Honda also sold a total of 3,268 hybrid vehicles helped by record July sales for the Civic Hybrid of 2,673 units.
  • Options
    ramusneeramusnee Member Posts: 4
    July sales set a record. They forecast 250,000 Civic units for 2006. At this pace, they are well ahead of the forecast.

The sales stats tell us that new Civics are popular (i.e., many people are buying them).

Unfortunately, the sales stats do not seem to tell us whether the prices are going down. The prices will go down if the supply/demand ratio increases. I do not know how to gage the changes in demand. It might go down when 2007 Civics are on the horizon, but there are many other factors that can swing it either way.

Does anybody know how to get information on the supply side? That is, is Honda increasing production of 2006 Civics now, keeps the production levels steady, or decreases them?

Thanks,

RamusNee.
  • Options
    graynalgraynal Member Posts: 3
    2006 Civic LX sedan automatic in Virginia:

car + dest: $17400
    Plus 3% tax: $17922
    Plus 39.50 DMV fees: $17961.50 OTD price

Sound reasonable?
  • Options
    Can anyone answer any of my questions? Or is there another forum to ask about used Civic prices?
  • Options
    Have you tried Edumunds' pricing guide for used cars? Edmunds
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    OK, I can see increased sales making dealers mark it up $2-4k over sticker. But they actually sold more Accords than Civics and they're discounting the Accords more than Civics, which you often find marked up over sticker.

"As demand continues to outpace supply for Honda's small car lineup, the Honda Civic sold 28,607 units for a 6.2 percent increase, and the all-new Fit sold 3,135 units. Accord sales increased 9.5 percent to 38,043, and Honda also sold a total of 3,268 hybrid vehicles helped by record July sales for the Civic Hybrid of 2,673 units."

Maybe Honda has some kind of production problems which could have resulted in more Civic sales, especially relative to the more costly and outdated Accord.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Hi, brianhl

You can ask about used prices here: Real-World Trade-In Values

Or... you can research your price here:
    2004 Honda Civic

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    Hehehe..
    "especially relative to the more costly and outdated Accord."> I actually put down a non-refundable deposit of $250 on a Civic, I ended up buying the Accord!

I felt like a worker in a Civic and felt like a CEO in the Accord :-))). It is a class up.
  • Options
    roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    Sounds more than reasonable. Lots of folks would be really happy with that. ;)
  • Options
    I just traded my 3 year old Accord EX for a Civic EX. It handles better, gets better mileage, looks better and costs less. I'm too young to be a CEO! It felt like I was driving a Buick for 3 years compared to a Civic. :)
  • Options
    grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the response and your experiences.
  • Options
    smurrayrobertssmurrayroberts Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have a CIVIC EX on hold (4 door sedan). It's a total of $18,593 OTD (no sales tax as we're Oregon residents). This sounds like it's good to me. It's Galaxy Grey, Manual transmission. Would like to know if this sounds good. Buying it on my own as my husband is deployed to Korea right now. Thanks!
  • Options
    I just purchased an EX auto with Nav for 20K OTD. Without the nav and auto you should be looking at ~18k. edmunds says 18,400 so you're very close.
  • Options
    kris20kris20 Member Posts: 2
    Great price!
    Which state and which dealer?
  • Options
    smurrayrobertssmurrayroberts Member Posts: 2
    State of Kansas, dealer is in KC Missouri. Glad to hear it's a good price! I'm excited as I specifically wanted a manual transmission and they seem to be hard to find.
  • Options
    caballero213caballero213 Member Posts: 6
    I was looking at a Civic Si and had an Internet quote given to me of 22,840. No other dealership in the bay area was willing to go this low so we'll se what happens this week when the car comes in. Is it me or is this car only for twenty somethings? I'm 46 but still love to drive so I'm looking for performance, fuel effcient, handling and reliablity sounds like an Si to me?
  • Options
    onroponrop Member Posts: 3
    HELLO EVERYONE,

I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO PURCHASE AN 06 CIVIC SEDAN LX MANUAL AT AROUND $16,300-16,500, WHICH I FEEL IS REASONABLE EVENTUALLY. CHECKED INVOICES OF KBB AND EDMUNDS AND GOT CONSUMER REPORTS NEW CAR PRICING REPORTS TO GET BOTTOM LINE PRICE. THE ASKING PRICE I WANT DOES NOT INCLUDE TAX, LICENSE, AND FEES SO OBVIOUSLY WHAT I'LL BE PAYING FOR WILL BE HIGHER.

I LIVE IN WASHINGTON STATE, WHERE THE CIVICS HAVE BEEN SELLING LEFT AND RIGHT AND HAVE BEEN SELLING SUCCESSFULLY AT $17,000 SO REALISTICALLY, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, I WON'T BE ABLE TO GET ONE. MY ADDED PROBLEM IS THAT PRODUCTION HAS STOPPED IN THIS STATE ACCORDING TO SEVERAL DEALERS FOR THE MANUALS AND WILL MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE TO GET ONE ON ORDER. I UNDERSTAND THAT 17,000 IS REASONABLE FOR THIS HEAVILY ON DEMAND CAR, BUT I'M NOT WILLING TO SPEND THAT MUCH CONSIDERING THEY WILL BE LAST YEAR'S LINE UP SOME TIME SOON.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1.) WHEN WILL THE CIVIC 07'S COME OUT? I KEEP HEARING SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER BUT IF ANYONE HAS A DEFINITE ANSWER, THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

2.) BEING THAT PRODUCTION FOR THE CIVICS HAS STOPPED IN THE STATE THAT I AM AT AND WOULD MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE TO ORDER ONE, DO YOU GUYS THINK I WOULD BE ABLE TO GET ONE AT THE PRICE THAT I WANT SOME TIME LATER ON OR SHOULD I JUST TAKE UP THAT PRICE NOW? MY LOAN FOR WILL BE ACCESSIBLE FOR 60 DAYS SO I WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT UNTIL OCTOBER 9 AND I HAVE $2,200 DOWN.

I AM A LITTLE NEW TO THIS SO ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Please don't post with all upper case...it makes your post extremely hard to read...I just passed it by actually. Also, use of all upper case is screaming on the computer...and it's also very annoying!

Just a little advise about posting in the forums.

The Sandman :):)
  • Options
    matthewgsfmatthewgsf Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my '06 Civic LX - which I totally love and am impressed with the luxury look of the interior and the sport look of the exterior.

Now about the pricing - The sticker was $24,400.00, but since I went I dealt with the Internet Sales Manager, I was offered $17,300 (dealer invoice was $16,800 - so I paid $500 over invoice) - MSRP was $17,500.

Now, I did a couple of upgrades - I added a rear spoiler(with tail light enclosed), fog lamps, upgrades to the EX rims from the LX wheel-coverings, had a Low-jack installed, and purchased an 8yr/120k extended warranty. OTD pricing with all the upgrades was $24,100.

Definitely go through the Internet Sales Manager, to avoid the mark-up of dealing with a salesman.
  • Options
    flubflav31flubflav31 Member Posts: 12
    1) I'm stuck between the Civic-EX or the Civic-Hybrid and would love any advice on the decision.
    2) I'm also trying to decide about NAV or no NAV.
    lastly,
    3) Any suggestions on good dealerships to buy from near San Fran?
    Thanks! :)
  • Options
    magoosh1magoosh1 Member Posts: 13
    I totally aggree with you. I did my shopping on the web and requested "Quick Quotes" from dealers. The best one I got on a LX Civic AT 4 door was $17462 and this was with day/night mirror compass AND this included dest. fee. OTD with taxes, titles, plate transfer, and doc. fee was 18,637. My car should be here in about 10 days. I can't wait. For all future buyers--SHOP AROUND! Do the internet thing and get one time/no haggle/best quotes. You'll get a bargin!
  • Options
    juchejuche Member Posts: 6
    I'm very close to buying the Civic LX coupe w/ AUTO, Galaxy Gray, at $18,323 OTD from S.F. Honda on Van Ness. Dealt with the Internet dept, very courteous and friendly, no pressure, they're even holding it for me until I arrive on Aug. 30th (I'm in Salt Lake City now), saving me storage costs, and no deposit required. No other dealership in the Bay Area/Sacramento area could beat that price (except for Fremont, and they straight up lied to me, don't go there), though Honda Vacaville was very fair and accomodating too. Wish I had more money to get the EX/Hybrid. Good luck!