Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Options
    robinc113robinc113 Member Posts: 6

I'm in discussions with a few dealers about 100 miles away from where I live. The one in Nashville TN has quoted me the $26,964 including dest fee. What price should I look for to pay toward the end of June?
    Tax 1675 and doc fee 299 = $28,938 out the door is what I have right now.
    Also, when should you negotiate a trade-in, online or in person once you get to dealership?
    Thanks!

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

@bleh1 said:
    I read through this forum and I still think I am a bit confused. I am looking at a CR-V LX AWD and it appears that the invoice around northeast ohio is $23,718. Would a price at $23,900 otd be sufficient since it includes about $1500 in tax? Thanks!

Agreed Selling Price of vehicle between you and dealer and your states sales tax, and dmv fee's are seperate price items . Both get added together at the end of the purchase for a final OTD number.. The taxes and dmv fee's are regulated by your state. Nothing you could do about that. Work on getting 1500 plus below dealers invoice on your model. then add on the taxes, dmv, etc.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@robinc113, some dealers are appraising trade-ins online now (probably with a contingency that the trade-in is as represented). I think it's about as easy to let the dealer appraise your car while you test drive the one you are interested in. Just get your keys back before you start the negotiating.

But however you negotiate it, you should try to keep it a separate transaction. Your trade is worth X dollars, no more, no less. The new car is worth X dollars. So just keep track of how the numbers are playing out so you don't lose on one part of the deal.

• Options
    edited June 2014

@bleh1, with your numbers it sounds like your deal is right in the ballpark with what lots of other buyers posting in this forum are getting (i.e., $1,500 off invoice).

• Options
    robinc113robinc113 Member Posts: 6

@stever said:
    robinc113, some dealers are appraising trade-ins online now (probably with a contingency that the trade-in is as represented). I think it's about as easy to let the dealer appraise your car while you test drive the one you are interested in. Just get your keys back before you start the negotiating.

But however you negotiate it, you should try to keep it a separate transaction. Your trade is worth X dollars, no more, no less. The new car is worth X dollars. So just keep track of how the numbers are playing out so you don't lose on one part of the deal.

@stever,
    Thanks for the input on the trade.
    What do you think of the price I was quoted and do you think I can get more off the price considering we would do the deal at end of this month?

• Options
    edited June 2014

@stever, Thanks for the input on the trade. What do you think of the price I was quoted and do you think I can get more off the price considering we would do the deal at end of this month?
    ...............................................................................................................................................

Robinc113

Only you could answer that question by using the tips and buying advice you read in this forum.

Apply what we speak about and you will make the best possible deal.

• Options
    woodyandpennywoodyandpenny Member Posts: 2

Thanks for valuable forum information/education. Secured my 2014 CR-V EX-L AWD for $1,500 under invoice at RB Honda in Bloomington, MN. Good dealer to work with. OTD at $28,656

• Options

Competing dealers know if they wont match or come close to a price they lost you. . Other customers that dont play this game are the ones dealers take advantage of... Feel good about your deal because most buyers in your area wont make a deal like you just did..

enjoy your new crv.

• Options
    raam2raam2 Member Posts: 10

@akita0507‌

Try Russell and Smith, as well as John Eagle. They are both good. I got a CR-V as well for a new one on the way.

• Options

@robinc113, you can get the trade-in value of your current car here by appraising it. That'll give you some idea of what you should expect when you start talking numbers with the dealer.

• Options
    jayhojayho Member Posts: 2

@brian125, stever, This forum is great and I am learning new things everyday.
    I am in central nj and sent emails to dealerships here in CNJ to get quote for 2014 Honda CR-V EX AWD -- $23854(price)+830(handling)+1727(Tax)+7.5(tire tax)+369(doc fee)+301(registration) =$27089.
    can you please comment about this deal ?

• Options
    edited June 2014

jayho,

Here is your beakdown:

CRV, ex, awd, w dest/charge..= 25,517..........Invoice price

Minus your price w dest...........= 24,684

total..........................................= 835.............below invoice price

minus dealers doc fee charge....= 369

Total price ..............................= 466........... below dealers invoice.

NJ is a tuff market with pricing for both CRV's and Accords.

Your target price to buy should be between 1000 and 1500 below dealers invoice price after considering dealers doc fee charges In New jersey.. As you could see your nowhere in that ball park.. I think if you are a good negotiator and use the advice and tips I speak about in this forum you should get closer to that 1500 below dealers invoice mark.

Jayho..................... read thru these past boards to get tips and buyig advice. Negotiate with dealers the next 2 weeks buying closer to the last 2 days, last day of this month for the best possible deal if you can't reach one prior.

• Options
    jayhojayho Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Brian125, I will keep in mind ur tips and let u
    know progress.
  • Options

Try Auto-Sport honda in Bridge water NJ. Speak to Internet mgr... George. 600 to 800 more dollars should be a easy sell to any dealer if your buying that moment you call or visit. Internet Quotes get you so far in NJ. some are a standard price like you recieved. If you need a list of more dealers IM me.

• Options

All Forum Members.............................. Please read before posting

If you need help with figuring a good deal or not here is what's needed to be posted for help in this forum. OTd pricing is not needed nor does it help me breakdown your deal. Every state has a different sales tax rate, and DMV charge making otd pricing different in each state. Only folks in your state that want to compare shop different dealerships does this help.

Your make and model?

Your agreed selling price with dealership?... is the Destanation fee included in this price?

Dealerships doc fee charge?

Are there any options or accessories included in this price. What did dealer charge you?

What state are you buying in?

• Options
    kingfrog721kingfrog721 Member Posts: 2

Brian buying in SC

Honda CRV 2WD with NAV
    $27450 Cap reduction
    .00089 MF
    MSRP $30200
    Cash $684
    DOc Fee $119
    Residual $17818
    Payment $327.42

Seems like a good deal for 36 month lease?

• Options

Myrtle Beach

• Options

@kingfrog721 said:
    Brian buying in SC

Honda CRV 2WD with NAV
    $27450 Cap reduction
    .00089 MF
    MSRP $30200
    Cash $684
    DOc Fee $119
    Residual $17818
    Payment $327.42

Seems like a good deal for 36 month lease?

Yes good deal is this price coming from ............. East Coast Honda . I have sent people over to Cale Yarborough Honda in Florence. They are hit or miss from month to month on price. If you don't mind the drive over there it might be worth a shot to try to lower your deal. Otherwise make the deal..

• Options

Hi Brian

@brian125 said:
    Yes good deal is this price coming from ............. East Coast Honda . I have sent people over to Cale Yarborough Honda in Florence. They are hit or miss from month to month on price. If you don't mind the drive over there it might be worth a shot to try to lower your deal. Otherwise make the deal..

Yeah ECH. Tried Hendicks same deal more choices. EC only has blk on blk in stock with nav and claimed the offer is only good on it. I realize as the year goes on the vehicles will only get less expensive so the "take this one only" means little.

I have more choices in Charleston but the logistics are a PIA. getting the vehicle back. Maybe take a ride to Florence if they have my desired Color combo. Thanks.

• Options

Well since ECH deal was pending me taking black on black I passed and Hendricks Honda had a White///Cashmere with NAVI, 2WD They even beat ECH a tad. and were a LOT easier to deal with. No one talks to anyone else at ECH. Atmosphere is thick and not as loose and relaxed as Hendricks Hendricks offers life time powertain warranty by HENDRICKS, not third party with every car sold.

MSRP: $30025.00
    Negotiated Price: $27114.19
    Additional Cost: $595.00
    Down Payment: $684.00
    Trade-in Credit: $0.00
    Other Credit: $149.00
    NonTaxable Cost: $424.00
    Net Cap Cost: $27300.19
    Residual Value: $17818.00
    Money Factor: 0.00089
    Interest Rate: 2.136%
    Lease Term: 36 Months
    Sales Tax Rate: 8%

$327 36 12K $17818 residual .00089MF There was likely another $500 or so to grind out but I was happy to find a dealer with the color combo I wanted 100 miles away who was very aggressive/ I am happy with having a 3 year iold CRV lease with $16K miles worth far more than the residual by then. Plus they are delivering the car to me.

• Options
    kvincekkvincek Member Posts: 21

Hello,

I live in IL - DuPage county. I am interested in purchasing HONDA CR-V - EX-L - AWD with Navigation system. I was quoted via email the following:

List Price = $30445, Sale Price (Excluding Destination, Documentation, Tax & Titlle) = $26574, OTD = $29828.

Is the above deal a good one? Should I bargain for more? Also, I am interested in adding a REMOTE STARTER and TAIL SPOILER.

Regards,

Vince

• Options
    mayurjmayurj Member Posts: 6

@kvincek said:
    Hello,

I live in IL - DuPage county. I am interested in purchasing HONDA CR-V - EX-L - AWD with Navigation system. I was quoted via email the following:

List Price = $30445, Sale Price (Excluding Destination, Documentation, Tax & Titlle) = $26574, OTD = $29828.

Is the above deal a good one? Should I bargain for more? Also, I am interested in adding a REMOTE STARTER and TAIL SPOILER.

Regards,

Vince

Seems like a good deal to me, I bought Ex-L AWD/Nav a week and half back from IL - Lake County for the base price of 26967. Once I reach home today I shall make sure to post all the numbers..

• Options
    edited June 2014

@kvincek said:
    Hello,

Regards,

Vince

Vin-man

Your buying at 2000 below invoice on this model excellent deal. Remote starter installed from a outside shop may cost anywhere between 275 to 500 dollars depending on starter make and model. I would try to get dealer to cut his cost in half on the Remote starter. Then shoot for dealers invoice price on the back spoiler. dealer may charge you for the labor to install. The problem you may find is this dealers is selling at 2 k below invoice on this vehicle minus there doc fee charge. They might not discount to much.

Check out these 2 web sites for Remote starters, and back spoiler. Use these prices as your guide

@collegehills Honda.com

@cheaphonda parts.com

Here are the few Remote Starters I recommend if you buy aftermarket. all under 200 dollars to buy the kit.

Viper........5901, 5310

Python...................4203p = 139 dollars

Bulldog deluxe 500...............194 dollars

google any of these remotes and read up on them............ Very high quality for a great price

• Options

kingfrog

your in the wrong forum.. Crv leasing forum is where you need to ask and post questions.

• Options
    edited June 2014

@kingfrog721, I moved your post to the 2014 Honda CR-V Lease Questions discussion.

• Options
    mayurjmayurj Member Posts: 6

Thanks to this forum I was able to deal with the dealers confidently and armed with enough information to negotiate. I did close the deal on June 11th IL - Lake County (Rosen Honda)

Here are the details

• CRV Ex-L AWD/Navigation $26,967.00
    • Destination $830.00
    • Doc $166.27
    • Sales Tax $2,012.00
    • Cook County $287.38
    • License and Registration $196.00
    • Electronic Filing $25.00
    • OTD $30,483.65
  • Options

Congrats!

• Options

Thank you guys, you are guys are just amazing!

• Options
    paulinnypaulinny Member Posts: 2

I am currently pricing a lease on a 2014, Honda, CRV EX-L, in New York.

Lease term is 36 months, 12,000 miles per year. Price I was given was $294/month. Was told it was based on invoice minus $750.

No money down, except paying the first payment, bank fee and DMV fees (which I was told are $1,046.

Is this a good lease price? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(ALSO- I was told by dealer that they do not include any scheduled maintenance or give loaner cars. Is this common practice to not include these things?)

• Options

After inquiring via email with many other dealers I was able to get $27339.00 **with destination fee of $830 included. I contacted the original sales rep who made the above offer and he was able to beat it by $100. Now my purchase price he quoted via email is **$27239 including destination fee. Based on the break down by Mayurj, most likely my OTD price will be about $29615.00.

I will keep you posted once I complete the sale.

• Options
    edited June 2014

@paulinny, I see that you posted over in the CR-V leasing discussion so we can let Michaell and Kyfdx help you there with your lease price question.

As far as scheduled maintenance or loaner cars, typically only the "luxury" cars offer those perks, although it depends on the dealer too.

( @kvincek, good luck!)

• Options
    albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2014
    Hey guys, just want to let everyone know in this forum.
    i just closed a deal here in WA state with Honda of Burien last night after about 15 email responses with the dealer.

First of all, thanks for @brian125 for giving out good info in vehicle buying.
    Also, thanks to @keepleft for sneaking in a quote for me from one of the sales manager when they were negotiating with their CrV.
    I was able to squeeze more around $500 off of the original quote from the manager.
    I was able to make good connection with that specific manager. He was straight with me the whole time during the whole negotiation process. Even the finance guy trying to sell me a $1500 extended bumper to bumper warranty plus $50 deductible. I told him im interested if the price is half off, then after 5mins talking, he ended up showing me the employee price on that warranty which is $600 less on his original offer. But told him we' ll let him know within next few days if we will get that extend bumper-bumper warranty.
    After we signed all the paper, he ended up telling me kinda whispery, " i almost made $500 from you" lol smh

What you think about the extended bump-bump warranty? Get it or not?

To make it short,
    Below is my deal breakdown:
    $24000 (incl dest)
    TTL
    $100 doc fee
    ----------------------
    OTD
    -5k down payment
    -$25 visa card for test driving their vehicle :)
    -we drove 90miles round trip to dealership, i was able to ask the manager to full tank my personal car and said yes after checking with his GM lol no kidding ( premium gas too) ($55)

Interest rate of : 2%for 60 or 2.25% for 72 mos

Overall, i was satisfied with the deal we got even its quite a ways. Will recommend this dealership again for future.
  • Options

Congrats @albert5!

All you new owners (recent or not so recent), please write up a review of your new CR-V and tell us your impressions. Here's the link:

2014 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

• Options
    albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42

@stever said:
    Congrats albert5!

All you new owners (recent or not so recent), please write up a review of your new CR-V and tell us your impressions. Here's the link:

2014 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

Thanks @stever

• Options
    edited June 2014

It's been a very long time since I been to a car dealership. Almost 10 years! Yesterday I went to get the car. Oh boy!!! It was just a hassle by the finance guy. I wanted the car under my wife's name. He almost wanted a DNA test!!! He told us she has been denied just by pulling her credit report. She has great credit but with less than 3 years of history. He required a co-signer (Chase had approved my wife $20K direct loan - I figured through indirect lending she maybe able to get $30K) and I agreed to be the co-signer. It was past 9:00 PM and he said the banks are closed and we need to return today. We left without the car obviously and this morning I got a call from the finance guy saying he needs copies of Social Security cards and Green Card for my wife. He also said he didn't get any approval (most banks will approve with pre-conditions) or didn't submit to any banks yet. I checked my wife's credit reports this morning. He submitted applications to 7 banks!!!

Anyway I got upset and applied with Chase online and within few minutes I followed up. They approved the loan without any issues. I just need to submit purchase agreements and pay stubs. The rate is 2.51% for 72 months. God only knows what type of response I will get when I tell them about getting my own financing.

My purchase price of a BLACK AWD EX-L / Nav system is $27489 including destination fees(Wheel locks, all weather mats and Cargo trays are included - they wanted $695 and I settled it for $250 - whatever, I know I paid about $100 more than I should for those accessories). OTD price is $29919.20. DuPage county - IL

By the way @brian125 - Dealership said they do not install HONDA REMOTE STARTERS. They only install some other companies and wanted $400. I declined.

• Options
    tristanwutristanwu Member Posts: 2

I got a OTD price for 2014 CRV LX 2WD, $22446, with Tax, I lives in CA, is it a good price?

• Options
    edited June 2014

kvincek

I would find out what remote starter they use . It might be worth it for the dealer to install this starter for 400 dollars. Maybe you could get them down a few more dollars.. Check other Honda dealerships close by you . If there is any problem you could bring it back to Honda. . When dealers are charging 500 or more for the remote starters its best to go to a professional installation shop..

• Options
    ctownfrankctownfrank Member Posts: 5

We are in the process of buying a CRV. We learned much from this thread. Many thanks to those who have contributed, in particular Brian. It really helped us -- our last car buying experience was back in 2006. We basically learned everything about internet pricing from here.

We contacted a few dealers in MD, where we live. We are only looking at the most basic model, LX FWD 2014. After a day's negotiation, we have had the following quote:

-MSRP : $23,950
    -Dealer sale price : $20,000
    -Processing fee : $585
    -MD Taxes : $1,276.27
    -MD Tag : $280
    -Total sale price(MD OTD) : 21,964.77

We think this is a good price. However, this is the end of the model year. We'd like to know what you think.

Another deal offers to beat any quote we got by $350 dollars. I am not sure how much faith I should have in this claim, after reading about this being a gimmick to draw customers in. Again, we'd appreciate your advice.

We were told that Honda does not have any special financing for CRV now. We have good credit history (at least 90 percentile). We are wondering what is the rate that we should be after.

We have a lot of questions. We'll be truly grateful if you could share with us your insights.

Thanks!

• Options
    russinutah1russinutah1 Member Posts: 3

I just picked up a 2014 CR-V LX AWD today from Las Vegas. The best offer I could get from my local dealer (St George, Utah) was almost $1000 more, so I drove the 2 hours to get a better deal in Las Vegas. I found other people's postings really helpful when evaluating offers, so I wanted to post another data point:

• Invoice: $23,718
    • Offer base price: $22,027
    • Doc + misc fees: $436
    • Subtotal: $22,463 ($1,255 below invoice)

My OTD price added 6.25% Utah sales tax for a total of $23,866.94. I don't know DMV fees yet since I have not registered it yet. It was an out of state purchase so I have to go register separately.

I got quotes from all four Las Vegas area Honda dealers and the one dealer in St George, Utah. AutoNation Honda East gave me the best offer, and I went with them after giving the local dealer a chance to match. It was a pleasant experience, with no attempts to sell me crap. They offered an extended warranty (which got cheaper twice as I continued to decline it), but there was no mention of fabric coatings, VIN etching, nitrogen filled tires, or other junk like that. They included locking wheel nuts, but did not try to charge me extra for them.

This is my first time buying a new car, and the experience was simple and straightforward with very little stress. Thanks to everyone here, I went in knowing what price range to look for ($1,000-$1,500 below invoice) and how to approach the dealer, and for that I am very grateful. I hope my info helps future buyers.

• Options
    edited June 2014

ctownfrank

Your 1st deal is 1798 below invoice after taking doc fee's into consideration.. This is almost a top price in MD............... A excellent deal.

Check out Pen Fed credit union they have some of the best new car prices rates in the country. Should be just as good as the 0.9 or 1.9% dealers are offering. Financing thru the dealer will net you a lower sale price on the vehicle.

Here is how I would play out dealer 2 Stating they will beat any quote by 350. Most of the times those dealerships want written documentation from selling dealer which most dealers wont give.

Tell dealer #2... beat my offer by 350 and I will buy vehicle from you today or I'm buying it right now from Joe's Honda.

Good luck

• Options

You can also line up your own financing and then ask the dealer to meet or beat your rate. Sometimes they will beat the rate and you'll get the lower sale price that way.

(sorry for the dupes, a couple of posts got stuck by the spam filter).

• Options
    idigggidiggg Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2014

Brian,

I am looking for EX-L FWD, No Nav pricing in Carolinas. What should I expect to be a good deal on sales price?

I got a quote for 26445 sale price before TTL & doc fees. I am targeting for around 25000 ( 2000 below invoice) is this possible in the east coast ( between VA to GA).

Got one more quote from VannYork for 25476..

• Options

1500 to 2000 is your target price.

• Options
    artegusartegus Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014

Hi,
    Been emailing every dealer i can find in the Dallas area, they all seem to be right around the same price.

LX Model
    MSRP: 24,074
    Dealer Price :$21,599
    Sales tax TX: 6.25%
    License Fee $125
    Doc Fee: $125.5
    OTD on all the offers has been between 23,200 and 24,000.

Anyone in the DFW area doing any better or have any ideas?

• Options

There's always Houston. :)

Seriously, there's always a few dealers who love to snag business "out of town" It's a bit of a pain though, and as competitive as pricing is on the CR-V, you may not save enough to pay for your gas and time for the four hour drive just to get to the dealer.

• Options
    karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165

Ctown - Maryland has a $200 limit on the processing fee. Virginia does not, so it appears you are looking to buy in Virginia. Experience has shown me all the Virginia dealers I have bought from recently have reduced the processing fee to the $200 limit in Maryland once I question why I should buy from them when I can get the same deal but with a lower fee.

• Options
    artegusartegus Member Posts: 2

@stever said:
    There's always Houston. :)

Seriously, there's always a few dealers who love to snag business "out of town" It's a bit of a pain though, and as competitive as pricing is on the CR-V, you may not save enough to pay for your gas and time for the four hour drive just to get to the dealer.

Ya, thought of that. But you are probably right on that.

• Options

Well, you could take @brian125‌'s advice and wait until the last day of the month and tell them all you plan to buy that day and want to know their lowest price.

• Options
    ctownfrankctownfrank Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the tip. It is indeed a dealer in VA. I tried to apply your method. It just did not go well. :) The dealer refused to budge.

@karhill1 said:
    Ctown - Maryland has a $200 limit on the processing fee. Virginia does not, so it appears you are looking to buy in Virginia. Experience has shown me all the Virginia dealers I have bought from recently have reduced the processing fee to the $200 limit in Maryland once I question why I should buy from them when I can get the same deal but with a lower fee.

This discussion has been closed.