Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Options
    ctownfrankctownfrank Member Posts: 5

Brian,

It is good to know that you agree this is a good deal. We are heading off to the dealer tomorrow. We will update once we get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!

@brian125 said:
    ctownfrank

Your 1st deal is 1798 below invoice after taking doc fee's into consideration.. This is almost a top price in MD............... A excellent deal.

Check out Pen Fed credit union they have some of the best new car prices rates in the country. Should be just as good as the 0.9 or 1.9% dealers are offering. Financing thru the dealer will net you a lower sale price on the vehicle.

Here is how I would play out dealer 2 Stating they will beat any quote by 350. Most of the times those dealerships want written documentation from selling dealer which most dealers wont give.

Tell dealer #2... beat my offer by 350 and I will buy vehicle from you today or I'm buying it right now from Joe's Honda.

Good luck

• Options
    sporto69sporto69 Member Posts: 2

2014 CR-V LX AWD

Price Paid: $22,455 (includes $270 doc fee) + sales tax & registration

• Options
    kvincekkvincek Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2014

Got our CR-V today. Thank you @brian25 and everyone else for your support and sharing your experiences here. It was a huge help.

Dealership: Grand on Honda, Elmhurst, IL 60126
    Sales Rep: Jerry & Ryan

Vehicle: 2014 HONDA CR-V EX-L - AWD/NAV

Purchase Price: $27889 ($27239 + $250 Accessories (Wheel Locks, All weather mats, Cargo tray) + $400 remote starter - DESTINATION FEE IS INCLUDED)

Document fee: $166.27

Online app fee: $25.00

Tax: 7.25% - $2072.07 ($27889 + $166.27 + $25.00 + $500 (tax for rebated amount ???))

Title: $196.00

OTD: $27889 + $166.27 + $25 + $2072.07 + $196 = $30348.34

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Good buying weekend in KS and IL. B)

Congrats y'all!

• Options
    sandy130sandy130 Member Posts: 7
    I am in North Carolina, I visited a dealer today for Honda CRV EX-L FWD without navigation. Here is the break up he offered-
    25500 - sale price
    1600 - (already added accessories -wheel locks , moon roof visor, mud guard, pin stripes) forcing on me.
    599 - Admin Fees
    70 - Tag Fees
    3 % - Sales Tax

Total OTD price = 28170

I think it's a bit too high especially the accessories. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
  • Options
    mangos123mangos123 Member Posts: 3

Hi everyone, since it is approaching the end of the month (this weekend and Monday actually), I went to my local dealer and was able to get a 2014 Honda LX 2WD for 21,300 OTD final price. I left as I remembered that one shouldn't buy a car on the first visit to a dealer...What does everyone think about this deal, should I go back and get it tomorrow? Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

sandy130

bad deal walk away

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options

@mangos123 said:
    Hi everyone, since it is approaching the end of the month (this weekend and Monday actually), I went to my local dealer and was able to get a 2014 Honda LX 2WD for 21,300 OTD final price. I left as I remembered that one shouldn't buy a car on the first visit to a dealer...What does everyone think about this deal, should I go back and get it tomorrow? Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

your question cant be answered?? you did not provide us with the correct pricing info. read thru board and repost.

• Options
    Brian, thanks for confirming, if they call back I am thinking of asking them to remove the Accessories price (1600). Do you think that will be a good deal?
  • Options
    murraygmurrayg Member Posts: 4

Hi ctownfrank,

I am shopping for the same car (CRV LX 2WD) in Maryland and am interested in the deal you got. -MSRP : $23,950 -Dealer sale price : $20,000 -Processing fee : $585 -MD Taxes : $1,276.27 -MD Tag : $280 -Total sale price(MD OTD) : 21,964.77

Were you able to close? If so, can you share the dealer?

• Options

I was able to close the deal yesterday. Criswell Honda in Germantown. Dominique got me one at about 21900 OTD. It was a smooth transaction. From the time we walked in to the time we got out, it was less than 3 hours.

Good luck!

@murrayg said:
    Hi ctownfrank,

I am shopping for the same car (CRV LX 2WD) in Maryland and am interested in the deal you got. -MSRP : $23,950 -Dealer sale price : $20,000 -Processing fee : $585 -MD Taxes : $1,276.27 -MD Tag : $280 -Total sale price(MD OTD) : 21,964.77

Were you able to close? If so, can you share the dealer?

• Options

I think it is a good deal.

Frank

@mangos123 said:

• Options
    edited June 2014

@sandy130 said:
    Brian, thanks for confirming, if they call back I am thinking of asking them to remove the Accessories price (1600). Do you think that will be a good deal?

NO.. Try to buy the same vehicle without the 1600 accessories pack thats really worth under 200 dollars. Then you need to remove dealers high doc/ admin fee of 600 dollars for it to be a decent deal. This deal is about 1300 below invoice minus 600 for admi fee's.. Get more dealerships involved with pricing you will do alot better than this deal.

• Options
    robinc113robinc113 Member Posts: 6

Here's my latest deal for EXL AWD $26,050 w/dest $299 doc fee and Tax$1580.94 = $27,929.94
    Cape Girardeau, Mo. picking up tomorrow.
    Thoughts?

• Options

Your deal is at 1950 below invoice minus dealers doc fee. This is a good deal for end of june.

Post dealer and details after your purchase.

• Options

ctownfrank,

Thanks for the quick replyl. Was the $21,900 the number you wrote on the check? Or were there additional fees or charges (Delivery fee, etc) beyond this?

Best,
    MurrayG

@ctownfrank said:
    I was able to close the deal yesterday. Criswell Honda in Germantown. Dominique got me one at about 21900 OTD. It was a smooth transaction. From the time we walked in to the time we got out, it was less than 3 hours.

Good luck!

• Options
    Brian, Here is another break up from a different dealer for CRV EXL FWD (no navigation)
    Sale price - 26106 ( includes accessories - wheel locks, splash guard, cargo tray, tint on windows, safety kit)
    Tag and title - 69
    Electronic Registration Fee- 99.95
    Admin Fees - 549

That's the final price. We walked out and they were not willing to come down.

What do you think abt this. This slightly better deal I got compared to the previous dealer. Thanks.
  • Options

Sounds like the 2 dealers near you are not willing to sell you there vehicles for anywhere near 1000 below dealers invoice. This deal is 724 below invoice price. minus dealers 549 admin fee and your about 175 below invoice plus accessories items totaling no more than 250 dollars.

Either you need to get more dealers involved, travel further or keep on playing poker. do not take offer # 2.

• Options
    edited June 2014

@‌sandy130...........N. Carolina dealers to email and call on the phone. Try to speak with the internet manager or his team for the sale. Do not step foot in these dealerships unless you both agree on a sale price.

Here is a list of dealers to email with your target price to buy. you will make a better deal with one of these dealerships.

Auto park, Scott Clark, Hendrick, Bryan, Crown, Leith,, Boyd, Van York, and Honda of Concord.

Your target price should be between 1200 and 1500 below invoice after considering dealers admin / doc fee charges.

• Options

joezajew Posts: 1

June 28

I want to thank @brian125 for his excellent advice. I just closed a deal on 2014 accord ex-l sedan, 4cyl w/o navi + trunk tray (approx $100 invoice) + floormats (approx $100 invoice).

I paid $24,650 + $150 accessories + $300 doc fee ($25,100) at Autosport in NJ (George no longer works there, btw. Kristal is the new internet sales mgr. I closed the deal with Jane and Terry since Kristal was off when I made the offer). These guys were straight up and didn't play games.

For those who are still looking to close a deal, I offer what transpired during my search and negotiations:

1) Per Brian's advice, I did my homework. I called up dealerships near and far and asked if they still had flex cash left and what their document fees were. Many dealers cited that the flex cash program has been discontinued by some mentioned that dealer cash incentives exists (same difference i suppose?). Some dealerships refused to answer my questions and tried to give me the run-around (I'm looking at you, Open Road Honda).

At the same time, I asked for a few quotes to get a feel for the current market rates.

By far, the best quote I received on the car w/o accessories was from Honda Cars of Boston in MA (Samantha is the internet sales mgr). Their quote was $24,461 + $300 doc fees. I would've jumped at this if it weren't for the fact that I had to drive 4 hrs to pick up the car. For this reason, I decided to allow an extra $100 to my initial offer as "travel avoidance".

2) I pre-drafted all the e-mails to all the dealerships, adjusting the offer price depending on their doc fees. I modified Brian's e-mail from a previous post to suite my situation.

My target price which varied per dealership was the result of the following formula: Invoice - 2000 - Doc fees + $100 Travel avoidance + $200 accessories @ invoice.

A word of caution: many of the dealerships did not read properly that my price included the accessories. I highly suggest making an offer for the accessories on a separate line item to avoid confusion.

3) The results: Autosport was the first dealership to come to the table directly and say "we can do business". . They however, added on another $304 to the total for the accessories. I called and explained how I arrived at my price and told them they if they split the difference, they would get the sale at that moment. They agreed
    Open Road, after a few back and forth emails, was willing to accept my offer if I took delivery of the car on the same day. Since I agreed to Auto sport Honda already, I told them I already had a dealership accept my offer and thanked them for their time (IMO, reneging on an offer when the difference is so small is bad business)

Other dealerships declined, didn't come close on their counteroffer, or started trying to add pro packs and other nonsense.

I hope my experience will help you negotiate the best deal you can on your new car purchase. You can PM me if you have any questions. I started my search as nervous and not confidence as this is the first new car purchase I've ever made. Thanks to this forum and their members (especially @brian125), I gained the confidence to negotiate on my own terms and now am the proud new owner of a new accord ex-l.

• Options
    edited June 2014

Here is a good emailed format to any dealerships Internet MGR email address. This will break the ice and start you on your negotiation numbers. If any one dealer cant answer you back with honest answers with sale pricing x them off your list and move on.

Hi Mr xxx,

I am looking to buy a CRV today if we could agree on a price. Example:... CRV, exl , white, with splash guards and wheel locks, and trunk mat. No other option wanted. Or just tell them no options wanted. I have several offers from dealerships alot further than i want to travel but would like to give you my business being we are neighbors. I am contacting the 6 closet dealerships via email for the sale today to see if we could close this deal Now. I will travel next week to buy this vehicle if my price cant be matched or beat in my hometown.,

I will buy this vehicle from your dealership today securing the deal with a credit card deposit til I could get down to you. I have taken your doc fee's into consideration along with lowering my price to avoid
    traveling further than i want to go to buy this vehicle.

1600 below dealers invoice price is what gets this deal done today. This price excludes any rebates, incentives, taxes etc. Or take your models invoice price add the 790 dest/charge then subtract your offer off that price 1400, 1600, 1800, etc. For a total price. This puts both you and dealer on the same page with no confusion with pricing on your model. NONE.

leave your cell number.

Send a similar email out to the rest of your targeted dealerships. Send out 20 of these emails.. You may find 6 dealerships may not respond , 5 dealerships may say no. The rest may compete for your business..

When i buy a vehicle I do something like this on the last days of what ever month i'm buying. The only difference is I want to to talk to each internet mgr. on the phone ONE ON ONE. If any dealership is not honest or full of hot air you are terminated from earning my business.

This is how you play the game with these guys.. Take my email approach... Put my words into better English of coarse...LOL and go for it. My email is direct, puts each dealership on the spot for a immediate sale and gets rid of all the fakers and dealers that don't sell cars.

Remember any dealership that says I cant do xxx below invoice. your next question is ? How close can you get to my number for the sale today. Make each dealership commit to a price. Dealers that Can't answer that question with honesty or a price say good bye there not worth your time.

• Options
    Brian, thanks a ton for your advise again. And I am going to e-mail few dealerships right now :)
  • Options

Hey Brian!

Yeah sorry my lack of info previous post. Okay so it's this:
    MSRP: 23,775
    Total: 24160 (msrp + appearance + mud guards + wheel locks)
    The dealer mentioned nothing about sales tax, doc, ttl...all of he said was 21,300 OTD. Considering OTD means everything included so it should be only 21,300 unless they are trying to trick me.

Btw, I was looking at some parts info and one said assembly in USA, Mexico, Canada...which one is better? Thanks

• Options
    edited June 2014

Mangos,

In the U.S. CR-Vs are manufactured at the Honda of America Manufacturing, Inc., East Liberty Auto Plant in Ohio. As far as the parts go. Probably coming from all 3 locations.

I'm guessing this is the model your referring to

CRV lx FWD model correct ?

Invoice with destination charge = 21,553 + 830=........... 22,383

Your target price to buy should be in between 1200 to 2000 below this number after taking dealers doc fee's into consideration.

when you post in this forum we need your agreed selling price of vehicle. dealers doc fee charge . Not OTD pricing or MSRP numbers they are useless to us.

Remember: Every state has a different tax rate and each state dealers doc fee/ admin fee's differ. This makes everybody's OTD pricing different.

What state are you buying in?

• Options

@sandy130 said:
    Brian, thanks a ton for your advise again. And I am going to e-mail few dealerships right now :)

Email every dealer I posted plus anymore dealers closer to your home. You will buy a vehicle tomorrow. You will be very happy with the results from this email.

• Options

Yes it is the LX 2WD. Virginia. So you are saying I should be aiming for the target price of 22,383 - (1200 to 2000). Is that the right understanding?

Also, have you heard about any reports on quality between USA, Canada, Mexico assembled CR-Vs? I know the engine can come from japan or USA but some of the assembly locations are different.

• Options
    edited June 2014

No quality issues at all. Yes minus as high as 2k off that price. You have one of the best dealerships right in your state POHANKA Honda followed by Hendricks, and Joyce Koons. Auto- Nation could be worth a call. Va. has some of the best pricing in the country on Accords, Civic's, Crv's, and Pilots. You should use the higher end of the target price and work down from there.

Good luck tomorrow

• Options
    idigggidiggg Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2014

Got the CR-V EX-L, 2WD, NO RES, NO NAVI with pro-pack (Tint, Wheel locks, Trunk tray, Nitrogen, Pin Stripe) this weekend from Honda of Concord. Sell price 25000. Doc fee 549.while haggling with the dealer it sounded like Honda of Concord made good June numbers. Rock Hill Honda and Honda South may be good options for some last day of June pricing.

• Options
    Hey iDiggg so you paid 25000+549+3% sales tax ? Or anything other charges as well?
  • Options
    anica813anica813 Member Posts: 1

Hey I am looking for 2014 CRV EX AWD, the best price I got so far is $25,000 ($26,655OTD) is this a good price? I am in Michigan. is possible to get $24,500 OTD on 2014 CRV EX AWD?
    Please give me some advice!!!Thanks!

• Options
    edited June 2014

Although I know the sales tax here is 6% (I'm in the UP), not many others do. So it's more helpful just to focus on the price you're paying on the car and any accessories and options and skip the taxes and fees that will make up the OTD price.

Per @Brian125's advice, your goal is try to get between $1,000 and $1,500 off invoice. Or more. :smile:

• Options
    edited June 2014

Stever is right on.. We have been in the 1000 to 1500 below range in Michigan..

But you never know.. Find those dealers still looking for end of the month sales numbers and that target price could be close to 1700 or 1900 below invoice price. It does not hurt to start your target price higher and work down off that number.... Thats what i would be doing today if I still have not struck a deal. you have alot of leverage today .. Feel the power.. It only happens the last week of the month and going into the last days last day...

One key factor is getting many dealerships involved and playing hardball with them today. . Thats how you will get your lowest possible deal. Folks in the Accord forum did very well last night and have Excellent offers on the table right now.. You could too.

One note: if you are negotiating with 10 dealerships and 1000 below is your best offers then close the deal you have done all you could this month to make your best deal. Dont worry that I got 1500 below etc. and you cant. . There could be many other factor's how i got that good price.

1.. I am a better negotator than you.

2- dealer only had a few of your models on his lot. supply and demand then played a part.

3- you did not pit one dealer against the next

4- you did not send out proper emails to the internet mgrs.

5- you seem to desperate... dealers smell it

6- you did not get enough dealerships involved in the price wars..

7- you have no clue on price and what you should be shooting for

and the list goes on.. what you can count on is the target prices high and low are real numbers in this forum.. That is your guide to helping you make the best possible deal.

good luck today.

• Options

Good points - there's always going to be someone who gets a better deal than you. That's okay, you just want a deal that's good for you.

• Options
    robinc113robinc113 Member Posts: 6

First off let me say thank you to everyone here especially brian125 and stever for all the advice and info. :)
    Here's the deal I got today from Cape Girardeau Honda in Missouri on a 2014 EXL AWD: Price $26,050 admin fee $199= $26,249 (paying taxes in my state)
    Included were mud flaps and wheel locks. Great experience from there, no hassle to buy anything added. Also they gave me $5000 for my trade- 03 honda pilot. I'm very pleased with my purchase and feel very good about the numbers!

• Thank you very much once again. :)
  • Options
    msak1msak1 Member Posts: 1
    BRIAN

is this a good price in Connecticut , Simsbury, CT. HONDA CRV AWD EXL WITH NAVIGATION
    $27421 (includes destination fees)+dealer conveyance fees $429 + tax $1864 + new plates $178 + engine remote starter $400. The total OTD price is 30,292.
    Is this a good deal
  • Options

Good deal in CT.

• Options
    hokiebird2008hokiebird2008 Member Posts: 4

Just purchased a 2014 CR-V EX-L AWD with Navigation with final OTD price of $29.300. While I don't have the actual sales price in front of me, the OTD price included $499 doc fee, $830 destination, and about $1,200 in taxes and DMV fees. Also included were accessories (trunk tray, pin strips, mud flaps, and interior protection spray), free oil changes for 30,000 miles, free lifetime state inspection, and lifetime/unlimited miles powertrain warranty (offerred through the dealer). May have been a little more room for negotiation, but the dealership was very easy and honest to work with.

• Options

hokiebird2008

Good post. You forgot to mention what state and dealer you purchased from ?

• Options
    hokiebird2008hokiebird2008 Member Posts: 4

Sorry. Virginia; Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge.

• Options

Hendrick has been battling with Pohanka on price. Good for the buyers in VA

• Options

Does anyone know where to buy an (OEM) retractable trunk cargo cover for the 2014 CRV LX?
    The LX doesn't come with one, but it appears to have the correct slots to hold one.
    I didn't find anything on the Honda websites or other locations:
    http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/accessories-list.aspx
    http://www.hondapartscheap.com/
    http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/select-your-honda.asp?year=2014&dl=

I have found, what appears to be, non-OEM parts:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trunk-Cargo-Cover-Shield-Honda/dp/B008W1BF4O
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-12-14-HONDA-CR-V-RETRACTABLE-CARGO-COVER-TRUNK-SHIELDING-LUGGAGE-VISOR-BLACK-/221169976861

Any ideas?

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mccornbreadmccornbread Member Posts: 1

Just Paid $23,800 (plus tax and licensing) for a 2014 Twilight Blue CRV EX with a "pro pac" add on in Southern California.
    MSRP $26,050 (plus $700 for propac) = $26,750
    Invoice $24,500
    Good Luck to all and thank you everyone for posting this kind of information. It has been a big help.

• Options

@murrayg said:
    Does anyone know where to buy an (OEM) retractable trunk cargo cover for the 2014 CRV LX?
    The LX doesn't come with one, but it appears to have the correct slots to hold one.
    I didn't find anything on the Honda websites or other locations:
    http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/accessories-list.aspx
    http://www.hondapartscheap.com/
    http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/select-your-honda.asp?year=2014&dl=

I have found, what appears to be, non-OEM parts:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trunk-Cargo-Cover-Shield-Honda/dp/B008W1BF4O
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-12-14-HONDA-CR-V-RETRACTABLE-CARGO-COVER-TRUNK-SHIELDING-LUGGAGE-VISOR-BLACK-/221169976861

Any ideas?

Check out Bernardi honda there prices on warranty's, and Accessories are Excellent. They will ship to any state.

• Options
    yj11yj11 Member Posts: 2

Thanks to Kvincek. I was able to pay exactly the same price minus remote starter cost. today.

• Options

Very cool, congrats!

• Options
    marcel7marcel7 Member Posts: 2

Helping my mom buy a car in Maine. she is looking for a CRV EX, and the color, mountain air, is less well represented at dealerships here. I've gotten so some initial email offers but haven't begun to negotiate yet. the offers are pretty similar--the best being $23,950 before 5.5% tax, title and fee of $500. Hoping to arm ourselves with some quotes before going to the local dealership where we actually want to do business. how much wiggle room do they have with accessories? Any suggestions welcome. Great thread.

• Options
    marcel7marcel7 Member Posts: 2

I'm wondering if we could try to include one of the more robust warranty packages as a bargaining point.

• Options

I've never had much luck with accessories - my guess is that Parts is run separate from New car sales which is run separate from Service or Used cars at most dealerships and they aren't set up well for "profit" sharing. Or maybe I'm just a lousy negotiator. :)

The idea of upgrading to a higher warranty package is appealing. Reports are that the markup on an extended warranty is 50% or more, so if you plan to buy one anyway, the F&I person might be willing to discount them.

• Options
    string3599string3599 Member Posts: 10

Brian,

I am looking to buy a new CRV toward the end of the year. Do you know what the official last day of a Honda dealer's year end is? Is it January 2nd?

I ask this because in my state you are assessed property tax on what you own on January 1st. My plan is to sell my old car to Carmax on December 31st (assuming the amount is decent) and buy the CRV on January 2nd thus avoiding a years worth of property tax. It would be a decent amount considering my old car is a 2012. I am guessing dealers would be more willing to accommodate this strategy of a January 2nd sale date (and thus a better deal) if their 2014 year lasted until January 2nd, 2015.

This discussion has been closed.