Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW X3 Lease Questions

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
edited May 2015 in BMW
To discuss the latest lease details for the current model, please join us in the 2015 BMW X3 Lease Questions forum.

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications, on Edmunds BMW X3 page.

To see all forums discussions about the BMW X3, including earlier model years, please visit our list of BMW X3 discussions.

Navigation tips: To see the most recent information and activity, make sure to visit the latest post, which may be a few pages ahead. Click the pages numbers just below to go to a new page in the discussion -- or search the entire discussion by clicking the magnifying glass icon and entering keywords.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• sarubinsarubin Member Posts: 4
    New to the leasing world and need some guidance. I am looking to lease a 2014 BMW X3. MSRP is $47,375 ( haven't negotiated this yet). 42 months with 16k miles per year ( wanted 48 months, but he said it was more expensive) - License and fees of $400 and first month payment up front - $727.65 per month. Tax rate where I live is 8% and is factored into the lease payment. Seems very high to me compared to the $630 I was quoted on a $51k Lexus for 48 months. Is the $727 way out of line?

Thank you for the advice.
  • richzrichz Member Posts: 160
    You can't compare payments on different vehicles like that. Money factors and residuals, which determine the payment, can vary significantly depending on the vehicle. For example, I've leased BMWs with a higher MSRP for a much lower payment than a much cheaper Audi because of the reasons I mentioned. Use a lease calculator online and familiarize yourself with how the payments are computed. You negotiate the sale price of the car just like you would if you were buying the car.
  • sarubinsarubin Member Posts: 4
    I understand that I can't compare rates on different cars as the residuals are different. I was just using it as a point of reference. I was hoping others could chime in and express whether they thought my rates were high in comparison to what they may have been quoted.
  • tonka858tonka858 Member Posts: 112
    You could get a X5 for that price, that is way to much
  • mattyg412mattyg412 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Carman. Thank you for your great guidance in these forums!

Can you please provide the August 2013 Residual and Money Factor for a 2014 BMW X3? 36 months, 15k/year.

Thank you!
    MattyG
  • richzrichz Member Posts: 160
    BMWFS doesn't release that information to dealers until August.
  • maosey05maosey05 Member Posts: 4
    Leasing is very new to me. I have the following scenario...

2014 X3 28i
    Alpine white with black leatherette
    -M Sport package
    -Lighting package
    -Panoramic moonroof
    -Heated front seats

MSRP: $46,275
    Best price: $43,491
    Lease payment: $553 (36 months/10k miles per year)
    Money factor: .00127

My trade-in of $3500 has also been factored in.

I think it seems a bit high compared to what others have been offered.

What are your thoughts?
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    What is the residual of this BMW? How is the 3500 being applied?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome MattyG. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2014 xDrive28i with 15,000 miles per year are .00127 and 54% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

BMW has not announced its program for August yet.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • maosey05maosey05 Member Posts: 4
    Residual is 57%.

$3500 trade-in is being applied towards tax, title, license, other fees. $380 of balance will be applied towards cap cost reduction.

Thank you in advance for your input!
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    That was a great deal. Do you or anyone know if the 2014 x3 numbers changed for august? The corporate advertised lease special was extended so I am guessing that the MF and residual remains at .00127 and 54% for august but I haven't confirmed it yet.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    For anyone following along here, the August MF is .00125.
  • rgarland1rgarland1 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering a lease on a 2014 X3 35i. I am contemplating leasing for either 36 or 39 months. Could someone please tell me what the residual and MF would be? I have tier 1 credit.

Thank You.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    .00125 MF and 54% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ns12780ns12780 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Is this a good deal?

2014 BMW X3
    Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Navigation

MSRP 46,875
    Negotiated Price: 44,435
    Residual 56%
    Money Factor .00125
    Monthly Payment: $623 with $0 down.

Thanks in advance for you're help.
    Hi Car Man! Can you please provide the October 2014 residual and money factor for an X3 28i for 36 months and 15,000 miles per year?

Been back and forth off and on with a dealer for a few months about this and I feel like I'm getting taken.

Thanks!
    Matty G.
    2014 X3 28i 36mo, 15K/yr lease
    .00125 MF and 56% residual

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My dealer claims 56% residual is for 12k/per year lease. Is that not the case?
    I am interested to know whether this is the case as well. Thanks!
    Hello! I put together the following deal on my own after going round and round with a local BMW dealer.

I am using the following data:

October MF (.00125) and Residual (56%) -- are these correct for October?

36 months
    15,000 miles/year

2014 BMW X3 28i
    M Sport Package
    Panoramic Roof
    Heated front seats
    Lighting Package

MSRP: $46,275
    Edmunds TMV Price: $44,000
    Assume $1,000 cash down and $1,000 BMW Ultimate Drive cash

Price for calculation: $42,000

Monthly payment: $531.72 + 10% tax

Does this number see right based on my assumptions above?
    Also, what else could I expect to pay at signing other than the $1,000 down?

I appreciate your help!
    Matty G.
    56% is the 36 month, 15K/yr residual for the 2014 X3 28i..

Did you talk to him on Monday? Residuals have improved in October.

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Your calculations are on the money....

Add the acquistion fee ($725 base.... dealer can add up to $200 more)
    Title and registration fees ($200-$500, depending on state)
    Dealer doc fee (extra profit... $75 in NY, $80 in CA, $250 in OH.. all capped by state law.... $189-$799 elsewhere, or whatever they can get away with)

Some dealers will also try to mark-up the money factor.. BMWFS allows up to .0004 extra.. Don't mention the invoice price, or they will try to add advertising fees, training fees, etc, etc.. those fees are all on their invoice, but you aren't paying their invoice, you are paying a negotiated price..

Hope that helps..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you so much for your help!

I actually just responded to the dealer and dropped the cap cost to $41,500 (incl $1,000 cash and $1,000 BMW Ultimate Drive cash).

The $43,500 cap cost is almost $1,000 over invoice which, I feel is a fair profit. Am I off base here?

By adjusting the calculation by another $500, It took the payment to approximately $568, which includes 10% lease tax in Allegheny County, PA. Does this payment sound right given the .00125 MF and 56% residual?

Do you feel that a Cap Cost of $43,500 is a fair price on an invoice price of $42,590?

Also, does the BMW Ultimate Drive cash calculate literally like an additional $1,000 cash down?

You're the best. Thanks so much!
    Matty G.
    Your payment was exactly correct before, so I'm sure if you are adjusting it, it's fine..

I'm not sure how the Ultimate Drive cash works... It most likely has to be used as a CAP cost reduction, rather than a reduction in the price of the vehicle (so, yes.. this means you'll pay sales tax on the higher amount)..

That's something else to factor in from before.. any money paid upfront will be taxed, just like the monthly payment...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks! Would you still add 2% for a 12k lease?
    Hello car God! I have one other question. I am going to be trading in my current vehicle. If I'm lucky, I will break even on it because I still have a payoff.

I am in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Do you know whether a trade in for a new leased vehicle has a beneficial tax implication?

Does it affect the answer if you have a payoff?

Sickly, by trading my current vehicle in, even though I still have a payoff, will I be able to get a sales tax break on my monthly payment?

Thanks So much!
    Matty G.
    Yes... almost every BMW lease adds 2% to the residual to go from 15K/yr to 12K/yr...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Your payoff shouldn't have any impact... but, generally, you don't get any sort of tax forgiveness, when trading a car in on a lease... because the lease is in the bank's name, not yours..

Of course, that is just a general observation.... PA may be different..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rgarland1rgarland1 Member Posts: 4
    I feel like a tool as I forgot to say thanks for the info. The information provided helped prevent the dealer from monkeying around with the pricing.

So, thanks!

Regards,
    Rich
    You are welcome.. I just assume that everyone is thankful.. ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• atikbatikb Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I wanted to do a price check and see if I'm getting correct lease info.

I'm pricing out a x28i, Deep Sea Metallic Blue and Beige Leatherette Interior, with the Drivers Assist Package and Heated Front Seats.

I've spoke with a number of dealers, and the two quotes I have received are $36569 and $36319 for the base price. How is this price for the configuration I've requested?

The lease information is making less sense. At a test drive we were told the money factor for a 36 Month Lease, 12k per year is .00125. The dealer we are working with is trying to charge us .00145. Any information on what the actual money factor is for October? Assuming that .00125 is correct, I arrive at a monthly payment of $419 paying the tax and fees up front. The dealer quoted us $584 for no money down, or $431 if we pay out more than $5950 up front, including $3,944 down.

Am I missing something on the lease calculation?
    I like the sales price of these X3, they must be at invoice. In regards to the monthly payments it seems they are bumping up the MF on you, you want hardly nothing out of pocket on a lease...
  • atikbatikb Member Posts: 2
    I agree with both points. I'm fine with the price, but not the MF they're using. Based on my calculations and using an online lease calculator, I feel that my payment should be $395 per month if we pay taxes and fees up front so they're not rolled into the financed lease price.

We're also considering doing 7 MSDs, which would lower the price down to $365.

Anyone know if .00125 is the correct MF for October? Is it possible to negotiate a lower level?
  • tonka858tonka858 Member Posts: 112
    .00125 MF and 56% residual
  • ripper44ripper44 Member Posts: 4
    Hey there. Here is a lease proposal I got for an xDrive 28i with some options that has a price of $48,375.

have calculated lease payment on 24 months with 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year. The attached document is a typically equipped X3 that was used for the calculations.

Standard Lease
    24 months x 12,000 miles per year: $864 per month with $2,500 due at signing
    24 months x 15,000 miles per year: $905 per month with $2,500 due at signing

One Pay
    24 months x 12,000 miles per year: $20,429 due at signing
    24 months x 15,000 miles per year: $21,345 due at signing

The one pay lease saves you approx $2800 over the standard lease.

Doesnt this seem very high? Or what can I do to get it down? Sorry I am new to leasing.
    Yeah.. it seems really high... part of that is going with the 24 month lease.. Sometimes the 24 month programs are okay, but in the case of the X3 this month, the 36 month program is a much better deal, plus your fixed costs (acquisition fee, etc) are spread over more months.

But, it's hard to evaluate a lease deal without selling price, CAP cost and money factor used.. I'd guess they are marking up the MF and the acquisition fee... Not giving you the details makes it hard to see where the money is going... (which benefits them, not you)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, I asked and the dealer agreed a 36 month lease will lower help. He is giving me a MF of .00165. Should I ask him to lower that?
    I have been told that the current money factor of .00125 is buy rate and the rate of .00165 is our sell rate. Unfortunately, the rate is not negotiable. This is where I imagine confusion and frustration sets in.
    Well.. that dealer may not negotiate, but that doesn't mean the rates aren't negotiable.. And, I think it's becoming apparent as to why those lease quotes are so high...

I've leased a lot of cars, including a couple of BMWs, and I've never agreed to a marked up money factor. Sometimes, you have to introduce some competition to get the best deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I would be pretty lost without the help here, I really appreciate it. One quick question: If I want to do a one-pay type of lease for 24 or 36 months and 12k miles per year, what would a good total price be on a 50k vehicle? That would give me an idea if what I get quoted is good or bad.

The reason I am doing the one pay thing is that I am Canadian and moving to the US on a work visa, so no credit history.
  • ezinn12ezinn12 Member Posts: 25
    Can you please post Novembers rates on an X3 with X-drive. 12k/36m lease. My dealer is stating that it is the same as Octobers, which weren't great, and wind change until January (full of bull as he can't call what will happen in December). Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Eric
    I haven't seen the November program, yet.... but, if they say it's the same as October, it probably is...

You are correct, that they can't say with certainty what will happen in December..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• richneedsaleasrichneedsaleas Member Posts: 40
    Nov is always better than Oct and Dec is way better than both. Dealers in NY NJ and CT are already starting totalk better numbers. You MUST get multiple quotes to get anywhere on these cars and the dealers of BMW are always polite, but that has nothing to do with the numbers that they will quote you.
    If you are close enough to deal with NJ, they always are very competitive.
  • tfox1tfox1 Member Posts: 1
    Please provide any feedback on the current leasing promotion being offered thru BMW....how does this compare to previous leasing programs/promotions? Finally, which of the terms below are still negotiable based on your experience? Any examples of leases negotiated within the last 30-60 days that I can leverage?

Monthly Payment

Month Term

Due at Signing

Expiration Date

$469 close 36 $3,944 Dec 2, 2013

Restrictions
    Loyalty Lease is based on the 2014 X3 xDrive28i equipped with Premium Package and Heated Front Seats. MSRP as equipped is $44,425. $325. Dealer contribution and $1,250 Lease Cash are required for the $469 monthly payment. Lease Cash includes $500 Loyalty Bonus Cash and $750 Option Credit Allowance. $3,944 is due at signing. Tax, tags and insurance are extra. Must finance through BMW Financial Services.
  • hedges1hedges1 Member Posts: 12
    Looking for December updates on X3 lease numbers. 36mo/15k. 28i and 35i have been the same.
  • bimmercloudbimmercloud Member Posts: 3
    i received an offer for 0 down, 615/mo, 15k miles, 36mo on a 2014 x3 328i m sport for 43k. supposedly includes all fees/taxes - i just have to write a $615 check on the first visit and drive away. it was a dealer loaner and has 10k miles on it, but comes with the full warranty. does that sound right? any opinions on whether loaners=trouble?

whats included:
    ZMP M Sport Package
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZDA Driver Assistance Package
    ZTP Technology Package
    we need to see the deal, what is the money factor, sale price, any other monies down from BMW??? Kind hard to say until the numbers are shown
  • aviator27aviator27 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for the December updates as well. Anyone?
  • babtongbabtong Member Posts: 4
    Received a quote for:

white w/beige leatherette, Driver Assistance Package, Panoramic moonroof; heated seats, wood trim, navigation.

MSRP: $46,925
    10k mi/year
    LEV Rt/Mt 59.00% $27,685.75
    Cap Cost: $43,245
    Cash down: $1,000
    Total Cap Reduction $18.07
    Adjusted Cap Cost: $44,231.93
    MF: 0.00125
    36 months
    Drive-off $1,000
    Monthly payment $575 (includes 8% sales tax)

Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance!
  • triguy3triguy3 Member Posts: 2
    When I configure your car as you describe, I come up $750 short of your number. After spending a couple mins trying to find a combination to find the $750 I couldn't. Their is $750 Holiday credit right now. Could they be adding $750 to MSRP so the incentive negates out?
This discussion has been closed.