Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    marcssantafemarcssantafe Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow Santa Fe owners!!! Happy to read about everyones tribes and tribulations.....I recently purchased a 4WD 2003, GLS, 2.7 V6, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced what i've been getting. I have 1500 miles on the SUV, and i'm getting this popping sound intermittently. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger front side tire....Is it my brakes?? The 4 wheel drive?? The shocks and struts?? Power Steering??Transmission??? I've never owned a SUV before, so this pop sound is new to me....I did own a 99 Accent, and never heard the pop sound before. I especially hear it when I turn, and when I go over speed bumps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want feedback before I back to the dealer....Thanx
  • Options
    meeeepstermeeeepster Member Posts: 10
    Anyone else have the check engine light go on because the gas cap was not tightened enough after gas fill up. (This is what the dealer told me the cause most likely was) He said to give it 3 days and if the light is still on to bring the car in.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's a common problem; not limited to Santa Fe's by any means. Usually the light will clear itself but some cars require a couple of tanks of gas, not 3 days. I bet your's will go off by itself soon.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    marcssantafemarcssantafe Member Posts: 2
    posted by a01sf6:

10. Have had the front-end bushings replaced three times also. Usually hear a "thumping" noise when going over bumps. Dealer hasn't given me any problems so far.

This is what I need to do perhaps...(see above post) The "thumping" is driving me nuts...Front end bushings....hmmm....
  • Options
    tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    Marcssantafe,

Have you had your CV Joints checked? I have had three of those replaced (two on VW Jetta, one on Toyota) and the tell-tale sign is a thump-thump-thump, especially when turning in one direction, or the other.

Good luck.

Tim
  • Options
    skrenzeskrenze Member Posts: 3
    have had my Santa Fe 2 mos. now and have a question about the defrost mode. The manual says that when the control knob is set to defrost mode that the AC light lights and the AC automatically comes on and you have to adjust the temperature. Well try as i might I cannot see the AC light come on while in the defrost mode. Is this normal or am I reading the manual wrong?
  • Options
    richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    I have the automatic climate control, so I can't say whether or not your system is defective. If the owner's manual says the A/C should engage when in the defrost mode, however, I would take it in to have it fixed... or have your owner's manual changed. Can you turn on the A/C manually when in defrost mode?
  • Options
    skrenzeskrenze Member Posts: 3
    well, i talked to the service rep. today and he said that if i manually toggle the AC button then turn on the defroster then the AC button will come on when in defrost.So i tried it and it did work even when i shut everything off and turned the defroster back on the AC button did light. I still feel like it should work withhout me having to manually toggle it.( we have a toyota and a honda also and the ac comes on immediately when the button is pushed) does anyone else have any comments or suggestions about this?
                 Thanks
  • Options
    btybiz1btybiz1 Member Posts: 2
    MY SANTE FE HAS AN INTERMTTANT SURGING WHEN STOPPED AT A LIGHT FOR 20-30 SECONDSOR MORE. IT FEELS AS IF SOMEONE HAS TAPPED YOU FROM BEHIND. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERY TIME YOU STOP, BUT THE PROBLEM IS VERY ANNOYING.I'M WONDERING IS ANYONE ELSE HAS EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM, AND IF SO, WHAT CORRECTIVE MEASURES HAVE BEEN TAKEN.
  • Options
    I've driven both types (automatic A/C in defrost mode and manual selection) and vastly prefer having the option.
  • Options
    I think on a new model I'd take it to the dealer and if nothing else get your complaint on record (they have to actually take it into the shop to put it 'on record'). My transmission seems to be quirky sometimes, giving me a slight bump when in motion on a rare occasion, but not to the extent that I'm going to have them tear the transmission down or replace it. I'll wait for it to either get worse... or go away.
  • Options
    jboz29jboz29 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2003 Santa Fe 4WD, and it seems to have a bump in the tranny sometimes like BTYBIZ1 talks about in post 538. It seems to happen around 40 mph, the other day it happened at 60 when i got to the top of a hill. I have had the dealer check tranny twice when I had it in for the first 2 oil changes and they said they never seen anything wrong with. Just checking to see if anyone else has expreienced this at all. It is like the tranny slips kinda then catches again, like a bump sound. thnx

jay
  • Options
    There is a TSB issued by Hyundai concerning this. The transmission has a 'learning capability' built into it. Basically a small computer memory that learns how you drive and adjust the transmission shift points accordingly. You should bring this up to your dealer (apparently they don't know about it), but here is the basic remedy:

1. Remove power to the vehicle (take the -12v cable off of your battery) for a few mintues to reset the transmission's "memory". Note that you will have to reprogram your radio stations afterward.

2. Reconnect the battery cable. Drive the vehicle around using only moderate acceleration (25% of throttle position or less... in other words, don't accelerate very fast) and at speeds that allow the transmission to go through all shift points several times. So the transmission must go all the way from 1st through 4th (or 5th) gear and back about 5 or 6 times. Now your transmission should be reprogrammed.

3. If the thump and bump continues, see your dealer again... you may need a new tranmission (according to the TSB).

Hope this helps
  • Options
    Thnx for the reply Richsap. Are you saying for me to do this at home? If so, I will give it a try this weekend.
  • Options
    btybiz1btybiz1 Member Posts: 2
    HYUNDAI HAS RESPONDED TO MY PROBLEM. THEY SAY THAT IT'S A SOFTWARE PROBLEM WITH THE COMPUTER. THEY ARE PRESENTLY SENDING A FIX TO MY DEALERSHIP THAT SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY EARLY NEXT WEEK, WHILE I WAIT.
    I WILL REPORT BACK WITH RESULTS.
  • Options
    Hopefully this will work. Here is the link for the TSB on the Hyundai web site, copy and paste in the address bar on your browser:

www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394890045#_394890045
  • Options
    btybiz1, what month was your Santa Fe manufactured? It is on the label in the door jamb on the driver's side. Curious that they would have a software fix for engine control and not make it public knowledge.

Also, please don't type all caps... the equivalent of yelling on the forum. Thanks!
  • Options
    What do you suggest I do. Just check the ATF and do the diconnnecting of the battery or take to a dealer. It is not something that happens all the time but every few days or so. Sounds like they are saying that it could be sensor problems also. I remember someone saying something about and Oxygen sensor being bad on theirs. Thnx
  • Options
    jchatt55jchatt55 Member Posts: 10
    I had the same exact problem a year ago with my 2002 2.7 AWD. I would be sitting at a light and would feel a gentle bump like someone tapping from behind. I guess a year ago they didn't know what it was. It was in the shop for over 40 days. They replaced the computer several times. They replaced the entire electrical system. I actually got the car back twice in those 40 days. Got to know the roadside assistance guy by name. They finally had the regional service technician come in. The car has been great since then. Sorry to say I don't know which of their repairs ultimately corrected the problem. I must say the service department bent over backwards to accomodate us.
  • Options
    mikel12mikel12 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2001 SantaFe v6 and got a notice to replace oxygen sensor. I went to one dealer and was told that the 2003 oxygen sensors were back-ordered. So I called and went to anther dealer and they replaced the oxygen sensors for me. However, on the list of things replaced, it listed 2 "02 emission standard" oxygen sensor. I was wondering does it mean they only replaced 2 of my sensors with 2002 model instead of 6? Has anyone have this problem?
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    There are only 2 oxygen sensors on your car. You are confusing them with the spark plugs.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I have an 03 Tiburon 2.7 V6 and am encountering the SAME gentle bump that is being described here! The car actually bumps (or surges) forward 1/2 inch or so. The first time it happened I thought maybe I released the brake a tad, but this has happened about 5 more times and I know my foot was pressed firmly on the brake pedal. It's not really a safety problem since it moves forward only slightly but it is a weird feeling. My tranny has also been shifting a little erratically at times, especially the 2-3 upshift (it acts like it gets confused when it tries to upshift and I feel 3 distinct clicks accompanied by a slight rpm flare). Do you guys think taking the battery cable off will help get rid of these quirks or does it sound like my tranny is doomed? I'm not really worried about it since claiming auto tranny problems is a lot easier than a manual and I plan on having it serviced by the dealer every 30k. For the most part, the tranny shifts fine, but Hyundai definitely needs to look into refining their automatic.
  • Options
    daveinpghdaveinpgh Member Posts: 1
    I have had my GLS V6 AWD for 7 months, and yesterday I had my first unpleasant experience with this vehicle when the engine stalled while creeping along in rainy, rush hour traffic. It started up right away, but I had never had a vehicle stall like that before.

I have seen the posts about stalling in the earlier models...has anyone with a 2003 experienced this? As far as I know there is no recall on the 2003 models for anything.

Any suggestions on what to do?
  • Options
    babyfebabyfe Member Posts: 1
    Does the cargo net come with the 2003 Santa FE Gls 3.5? The only red Santa Fe the dealer had left was a demo and I thought the cargo net came with the car.
  • Options
    fireball3fireball3 Member Posts: 1
    Help!! I have this squealing noise when I am accelerating or cruising along. It is not when I am breaking but when I am moving and/or turning. It is very intermittent and only happens after I have been driving for at least 20 minutes. I have had the breaks replaced and the problem is still there. Any thoughts on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    Fireball3,

If the squealing goes away when you are during braking and then comes back when you release the brakes, the problem is in the brake pads, rotors or calipers. You could have a sticking caliper, which would keep just enough pressure on the brake pads after you release the brakes to make them barely contact the rotor. Or you could have grooves worn into the rotors that is causing this. Have you taken it back to your dealer or a professional brake shop?
  • Options
    Look on the window sticker (if it is still there) and it will list whether or not the cargo net is a standard feature or has been added on as a dealer option. If it is not on the sticker, it is not standard.

The Lx versions of the Santa Fe come with this and other pieces of equipment (i.e. carpeted floor mats) that are not standard on base models.
  • Options
    rooster2003rooster2003 Member Posts: 10
    I have a new (3900 miles) 2003 Santa Fe LX 3.5L automatic 2wd.

I have taken it to the dealer three times (2 writeups) for what I see as shifting and harsh acceleration problems. It is very difficult to ease the vehicle away from a stop sign/red light. It wants to take off like a crazy horse. Also, shifting is erratic. There is a long delay shifting from 1st-2nd and often when accelerating, it seems to downshift too many gears (2?) and rpms just up to 5500 or so yet the car isn't accelerating because it is obviously in too low a gear and is trying to self-destruct.

One more bit of info is that it does not accelerate when the gas pedal is depressed. It pauses then does the crazy horse thing. It is nerve racking. You know how you merge into a busy road and need to accelerate smartly (not full speed ahead but moderately) - well, at times this thing just pauses for several seconds until it begins to go and then it is like that crazy horse again.

The shoft has always said no codes and haven't noticed anything on test drives. Last time they drove ti 40 miles - after I showed up on the 2nd day is waited in the shop. The report was that nothing was found. I don't believe this for a minute. It is weird all the time. I expect this vehicle to resemble a very good car since I paid a considerable chunk of change. I am getting very disappointed.

Thanks for advance for any information. I will keep searching this forum for similar issues.

Rob
  • Options
    horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    On my 2000 Santa Fe the ABS light is on most of the time. When the ABS light is on the ABS function is not working.
    I have 65K on the Odometer. The dealer has replaced the ABS sensing unit or module. It was OK for 10 kilometers. After that the light was back on again. According to Hyunday Canada, the dealer has to replace the entire ABS wire harness which physically links all communications between all 4 wheels. Has anybody had this problem? If so ,please respond. I will keep you posted.
    Martin
  • Options
    rsbalkrsbalk Member Posts: 2
    Are you covered by the warranty ?
  • Options
    Yes, I am covered by the warranty. The dealer found a short in the wire harness which connects the ABS module and the pick up sensor for all 4 wheels. A new harness has been ordered and will be installed to morrow. I will keep you posted.
    Martin
  • Options
    shekinah1shekinah1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Dear,

My name is Steve , . I am presently planning/thinking of buying a Hyundai Santafe 2.7 liter engine 4wd car, which has been delievred with this problem. The problem with this car is that though it's manufactured in 2003, it would not start at the first ignition starting, it takes always a second start before it starts and sometimes third start.
    When I enquired from the dealer he said that the problem is improper coding of the key which he sent some one to come and code but the hard starting would not change/stop. I am a mechanical engineer by profession with a wealth of experience in rotating equipment and this allows me to know what should be in a car. But I suspect strongly that it is beyond coding of the master key to suit other keys. I suspect there is something the dealer does not know about this car which does not allow the car to start once, please can you explain if this is how the car is designed compared to other cars/or your and i will apprecaiet any advise from you.
    What can be done to arrest this problem.

Regards.
    Steve
  • Options
    Hard starting has nothing to do with the key whatsoever. There is some other problem in the ignition or fuel system of the car. Most likely the fuel delivery system. Is this vehicle used or new?
  • Options
    shekinah1shekinah1 Member Posts: 2
    Rich,

The car is a brand new car. Never used before.
  • Options
    petelesliepeteleslie Member Posts: 4
    The Hyundai Delears are fully aware of this problem and Hyundai (Korea) has a prototype shift module they are just installing in some cars here in minnneapolis.
    I suggest that you contact your dealer and put the screws to him or call Morries Hyundai (Brooklyn Park MN)and ask for tech named Pete and maybe he can help.....
    NOTE THIS PROBLEM IS ONLY FOR THE 3.5 TRANNIE
  • Options
    Yep another Hyundai problem, My guess is that you had the trannie fluid changed at a place other than the dealer right?

They got us here as the Hyundai fluid is different than Dextron II or type F and Hyundai has noticed "Shutter" if other than Hyundai fluid is used, Now I ask you where the hell in the middle of nowhere do you find a Hyundai Dealer if needed????? Oh well, 10 -100K works for the wifes car.
    Again you can call Morries (above message and ask for Pete)

He would KILL me if he figured this out (that I have posted his name) haha
  • Options
    Bought car for wife and I got to say I really like it (after years with GMC, Safari, Blazer, and currently Durango)
    GOD the brakes and ride are nice.

Wife complaines that it overreves and does not shift right from a stop but she has to learn that is is not a race car and if she holds the pedal to the medal it will not shift correctly.

Only concern I have is a sporatic slight thump when coming out of passing gear back to gear 4.
    Again totally acceptable but in my book a tad wrong (or not right)
    I have not done my homework to see if this is an actual 4 speed or a 3 speed lockup torque converter.
    But again very happy with price and performance of this car. If you think otherwise go drive a Jeep Liberty the jump into the SantaFE at about $1,000 less with more bells and whistles.
    Compaire, ride, brakes, etc.
    In my opinion there is no compairison so after 10 years of Jeep Lator Gator.
  • Options
    Well, the dealer changed the ABS wiring harness and all sensors on the wheels.The ABS module is new, but the light is coming on. Is the problem not fixable? Or is my Hyundai dealer incompetent to repair this problem? The car is now nine days in the shop. Keep you posted.
    Martin
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ask for tech named Pete and maybe he can help...

Would that be you by any chance?

tidester, host
  • Options
    :) Last time I put my name, employer and even a hint of where I lived on the net GOD I almost went crazy with calls (work, home)not a chance I will do that again.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Then that's probably a good reason for not posting other people's names either! :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    rooster2003rooster2003 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, Pete. I will take it back this week after calling the service department again.

Wouldn't they be knowledgable of this problem already through service bulletins or other official Hyundai communications channels?

Rob
  • Options
    debbiek30debbiek30 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2003 santa fe on July 5, 2003. My service engine soon light has been on 5 times!!!!
    They also told me it was the gas cap. I am in the process of a 'repurchase' from hyundai. My local dealership has tried to repair my vehicle 4 times with no success. Ive had enough. A new car shouldnt have to be repaired 5 times in 4 months!!
  • Options
    You mean that the dealer has diagnosed the same problem on 5 separate occasions and came up with the same diagnostic code and fix each time? And each time it did not work (meaning you drove out with the light on) or did the light come back on after you purchased gas? Strange that they should not be able to fix this once and for all, because for the most part the diagnostic codes are pretty specific. I've had no problems with my '03 (also purchased in July) whatsoever.
  • Options
    wcd911wcd911 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2003 Sante Fe AWD 3.5L in Sept 03 and so far it has been flawless. However to my surprise each of the three 12v power supply outlets are wired to the ignition. I am a visiting RN and use a lap top computer and cell phone quite a bit. I would like to leave the computer plugged in and charging while visiting patients. Anyone ever heard of having at least one of these wired hot all the time. My dealer said he couldnt do it without getting into trouble with Hyundai. Most american cars I've had, have always had the outlet wired hot from the factory. Thanks for the help
  • Options
    fredb6fredb6 Member Posts: 1
    My wife had the brakes completely fail (thank God at slow speed). There was normal pedal but they just didn't work. No, she didn't mistake the gas for the brake, a policeman was watching and could tell that she didn't speed up. She finally used the parking brake to stop.

Problem is that now after towing it to the dealer they find nothing wrong. I had it taken to another dealer and they can't find a problem either.

It only has 3500 miles on it. It's a 2003.
    Has any one else had the same problem?
  • Options
    skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    I remember hearing something about this on another vehicle (not sure which one) but it sounds like an ABS control module failure. ABS is great for some folks, but for me it just complicates a simple system.
  • Options
    debbiek30debbiek30 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it has been the same code every time. The first time the light came on, they put on a "vent valve" & cleared the code. Eight days later when the light was on again, they said it was my gas cap so they tightened it and reset the code. 3rd time, they said I had a bad gas cap and replaced it and reset the code. The 4th time they called Hyundai Tech line and was told to replace my "close valve". That fix lasted a month. Now the light is on a 5th time and my Santa Fe won't start. I dont think the tech at my dealership knows what hes doing. He did temporary fixes to get the light to shut off. If he had corrected the problem, I wouldnt keep having the SES light on.
  • Options
    ncmertncmert Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Santa Fe in 2001 and I love my car. But I have been plagued with problems from the start. I've had my transmission checked due to it "bucking" every once in a while but no one knows why it does this. I've already had to replace a wheel bearing and 2 weeks ago my balancer shaft broke, shorting out my cam sensor so I had all of that replaced. My check engine light constantly comes on and goes off. There's water leaking in around my 3rd brake light now. Thank goodness all of this was covered under warranty. Does anyone else have problems like me or did I just pick out the wrong santa fe. Like I said, I love my car but I'm beginning to think trade.
  • Options
    skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    DebbieK30 - sounds like you're right about your mechanic. He's doing the old "replace a part and see if that fixes it" routine, which means he has not a clue. If another dealer is close by, you might want to try switching.

ncmert - Sounds like you picked a bad one. It happens to every brand, unfortunately. Yours was probably assembled on a bad day or a training day. I would be pretty much looking for a replacement myself, too. How many miles do you have on your Fe?