Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    The rust proofing offered by the dealer (at time of purchase) appears different than what was applied many years ago. It seems to be similar to the after market oil protective systems that are presently available (from many establishments). In the old days with the old system if it was not applied properly it could actually promote rust. That is why I always my vehicles "oiled".

I swore never to purchase this feature from the dealer. However the price seems very competitive. When you break down the price over a 10-year period (assuming you keep the vehicle that long) it is actually cheaper. The break-even point is 5 to 6 years (compared to Krown, Rust Check, Oil Gard and others). Annual re-applications are free. Also, it may even add some sound insulation.

What are your opinions? Picking-up the Matrix in a couple days. Thanks, Peter.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would skip the snake oil. If there was some magic potion that kept a car from rusting Toyota would apply it at the factory.

Say you pay $1,000 for the "service", If you invest that money you will have $2,000 in 10 years. Which would you rather have a) $2,000 in your pocket, and a car that probably won't have any rust or b) no money and a car that also probably won't have any rust. Also remember that in 10 years you probably won't worry as much about minor blemishes.

A new car will generally not rust in 10 years. Many car makers provide 10-12 year warranties against rust. Look around at cars from the 90's and you won't see much rust. Back in the 70's and 80's cars would start to rust in a few years, but no longer. My Integra is 12 years old, and has been in snow country the whole time. It is never garaged, and it looks great. I even had somebody ask me if it was a new car a few years ago. (it is the only one in town so people don't know the body style - not too many foreen cars in these parts, in fact not too many cars - mostly trucks)
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Well I'm not sure how much weight the AWD setup would use, but it might be enough to see some advantage to the all disc setup. Really you can't go wrong with all discs unless, for some reason, they short change you on the front discs.

Little tidbit of info. Often on cars with all-disc brakes, they'll put a little "mini-drum" setup for the parking brake on the rear discs. I think it has to do with drums having more initial resistance.
  • Options
    dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    Sorry for the slow response, I haven't been around for a while. I'm glad to see that you got what you wanted at Jerry's.

Just FYI, I got my car from Laurel Toyota Carmax in Laurel MD. They sell a lot and seem to always have several. In addition, they are a fixed price dealer, so no haggling or hassles.
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Turns out the Jerrys sold the one I wanted before I could get down there. But at least I know that I can get a 5 sp 2WD XR with ABS not too far away.

Truly weird that Toyota isn't selling ( without special ordering) that configuration in New England, where winter roads are notoriously slippery and ABS very useful.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The reason they have a mini-drum brake on the inside of rear discs is because the emergency brake is activated by a cable from the hand lever, which is not possible with the disc brake due to the design.

They are aware that the front brakes will do most of the work in smaller cars like these, and since these cars are also cheaper, it is cheaper to put on drum brakes in the rear, which will also be cheaper to maintain over the life of the car. I agree tho, the discs do look better in the rear...having said all that, I recently had a matrix XR for the weekend, and the brakes were really great, so in my opinion, there is no need for discs in the rear on this car.

In San Francisco, it is hard to find these cars for sale at all, especially the XRS or the 4WD, the two I am most interested in. Is it easier in other parts?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    I don't know about the power output but as far as I know the changer will play CD-Rs. It seems like I remember reading that the nav has a reminder function. It's something like an Outlook calendar. You can enter your maintenance schedule and other reminders in it. Might be usefull so when you get in the car you are reminded to pick up the kids.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    ABS is fantastic on ice!! I drive through lots of snow and ice for 3 months a year. If you thought it was dangerous, you weren't using them correctly. They have saved my skin many a time. The only place ABS is not necessarily good is on dirt roads which few of us drive on regularly.
  • Options
    cletusredneckcletusredneck Member Posts: 10
    Is the premium audio upgrade worth the extra money?
  • Options
    wazappawazappa Member Posts: 32
    If they are good on snow/ice why are they not good on dirt?

Imo ABS is very useful at high speed on dry roads. OK on hiways with ice/snow. But around town on ice snow it makes it near in possible to stop... breaks just click away and you keep on going.

I would much rather have the choice to pump away myself and possible let snow build up in front of wheels to stop.

I think that there is no perfect solution. ABS can help many times and other times it is a hindrance.
  • Options
    There seems to be some differences of thought about ABS.

Here's what the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (the folks that do real crash tests, etc.) says about Antilock brakes at

http://www.hwysafety.org/safety%5Ffacts/qanda/antilock.htm

"Antilock brakes are designed to help drivers avoid crashes. When a driver hits regular brakes hard, the wheels may lock and the vehicle may skid. Wheel lockup can result in longer stopping distances, loss of steering control and, when road friction is uneven, loss of stability if the vehicle begins to spin.

The main advantage of antilocks is that they can reduce these problems on wet and slippery roads.

Antilocks shouldn't make much difference in stopping distances on dry roads, although they can enhance vehicle stability and allow drivers to maintain steering control during emergency stops when conventional brakes might allow wheel lockup and skidding."

• Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Here is my $.02

Facts:

1- ABS does not create additional traction, therefore, in the straight line, it will not result a shorter breaking distance with respect to a non-ABS car driven by someone who does not panic and knows how to brake correctly without locking.
    2- In an emergency situation, one of these is likely to happen: a) there is no place to avoid the obstacle, b) there is a way out to escape the danger.

Everybody still follows me? Agree? Let's move on.

Here is the consequence for someone who has a decent short reaction time:
    - case 2a): you are going to brake in a straight line, so ABS will not help.
    - case 2b): you may avoid the obstacle by steering without the need to slowdown, so ABS will not help either.

Bruno
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    yeah, but if you lock up your tires, your stopping distances can increase. Some people are not good threshold brakers.
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Agreed! So it's just a question of personal preference, period. I owned a car with ABS, and I do not think it's a must have. I prefer car without now.

Bruno
  • Options
    semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    Matrix production will be 8,000 units calender year 2002 (it's a 2003 model, of course) and that is it. Strager mentions 70,000 and that is impossible output with the Canadian plant changes. The Matrix XRS with automatic is a weight issue for them. The EPA restricts certain balance of vehicles based on weight and fuel usage, etc. Certain cars in certain classes have to be built in a certain fashion to be "imported" and not have additional taxes or restrictions imposed.

The production of Matrix XRS automatic was higher at first to see how well the higher output model with an automatic tranny would do. It appears it sells better than they expected, so production of this car will be increased but it cannot happen overnight, sadly. It's a 2-3 month process to make the change to a higher percentage build of a model due to parts and machinery suppliers needing to make their changes too.

This may be why some dealers are trying to push the 6-speed -- because they know the automatic pipeline is quite empty and will be for a while. Once they start cranking them out, we'll be in good form!
  • Options
    socal_racefansocal_racefan Member Posts: 17
    Semantics: Am I understanding you correct? You're saying that Toyota will only make 8000 Matrix units this calendar year? Where did you get your numbers??? If that's true then there would be no way that I could get the one I just put a deposit down on. It's probably at the port in Long Beach, CA right now, having the Moon-Roof put in. If they are only producing 8000 units this year they would be in such high demand the waiting lists would be miles long. Even the hard to get New Mini Cooper is shipping 26,000 this year. For everyone's info the numbers produced year to date (5/11/02) are: Matrix = 26,599 // Vibe = 17,790. If you(anyone) can't find the one you want - keep looking, you'll find it. I did!!
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I believe that 70K number is correct. I've read that more than once in various Toyota news releases. Toyota wants to sell 220,000 Corollas and 70,000 Matrices in the US this year.

In fact, if demand significantly exceeds the 70K capacity, Toyota plans to cut back on Canadian Corolla production to increase Matrix production, and then import some Corollas from Japan.
  • Options
    prime99caprime99ca Member Posts: 4
    1) The premium stereo isn't worth it, at least if it's the same as in the vibe. See my post in the vibe forum - you're better off putting the money into an after-market system.

2) Cars with cable actuated parking brakes can have rear disks -- my Honda Civic SI has them. There is a little drum inside the disc rotor assembly. Cost a fortune to replace when it all seized up. Drums are definitely cheaper.

3) My .02 on the ABS debate: the ABS computer should be able to stop the car faster than anyone manually: it senses thousands of times a second whether the wheels are about to lock up and it makes adjustments as needed. I'd find it hard to believe that a human being could keep the tires so close to locking up for the entire stop without backing off the maxiumum threshold or going into a brief skid. On the other hand, though, I've done a lot of severe winter driving and sometimes it does seem helpful to be able to lock the wheels. Maybe what we need is a button that disengages ABS for those times we think we don't want it?
  • Options
    semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    I should have said that the production numbers for Matrix XRS were 8000. I am sorry that wasn't understood.

I might add that the sunroof isn't factory installed in Long Beach, CA. That's a transit port of entry. If you are having a sunroof added that is not yet IN the car when produced, your dealership has that arranged, but it is not at the port facility. If it is built into the car (and is listed on the MSRP when you get the car) then it's put on when it's built in Canada.

Sorry to raise the hairs on the back of your neck! I sould have been better specific.
  • Options
    zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    What the heck is a matrice?Is this some kind of Canadian pluralization of the word matrix? No offense to our friends and Toyota lovers north of the border,but matrice sounds like the effeminate version of matrix,i.e.,"Oh Alice is your matrice pink or mauve"?Matrixes or even Matri (sic) sound better than matrice. What would be the plural for a nissan 300ZX ,300zices?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Not Canadian. Latin.

Did you sleep through geometry class? :)
  • Options
    ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    The plural for matrix is matrices (may-tre-sees) or matrixes (may-trick-says). From my knowledge, there is no term matrice.

You can check it out if you wish.

• Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Was told by my dealer I could place an order for a XRS and get $750.00 off MSRP. Sounds like a decent price considering availability.
  • Options
    zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    My previous posting said the word matrices,'SOUNDS', effeminate not, 'MEANS',regardless of the definition,sorry I wasn't more specific.So all you anal retentives,know it alls,and human computers out there,lighten up and get a sense of humor.Say the plural of matrix any way you like,I really don't care,but matrices still,'SOUNDS',like a girly name.
  • Options
    Just the fact that you spelled it wrong threw us off. Plus, I think it's you who needs a sense of humor. We're just trying to help; there is no need to get into a big fit and call names.
  • Options
    I still have not been able to find any XRS at the local dealers around the SF bay area, maybe they are being snapped up as soon as they arrive, or there is a waiting list or something. All I know is, the dealer nearest me has never had more than 2 matrices at any one time, and they are always the funky base model with wheel covers. Bleecch.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    Doesn't matter what you call it. We're all here to help one another and read about the Matrix. Zombo, "girly name" is actually a compliment, thank you. Half the population is actually glad to be girly.
  • Options
    1matrix1matrix Member Posts: 47
    I recently inquired with Toyota about ordering their North-American built vehicles (Matrix in particular), and this was their official response:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate [the opportunity] to address your inquiry.

All new Toyota vehicles sold in the continental United States are pre-ordered by Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., based on current market trends and demand levels.

The ability to place a "custom" order through a dealership to the factory is limited to the RAV 4 EV at this time.

We are making efforts to expand this feature. For the time being, please visit the Build Your Own section of our website or contact your local Toyota dealership for specific model requests and option availability.

Your dealership can place a request for a unique unit to the factory, but limited to buildable options only. For example, if the model you desire is not available from the factory in white, then it cannot be ordered in white. Also, the system capacity to accept custom orders is limited, so the wait time for delivery of a custom order can vary widely.

Often times, a dealership can find a unit for you by conducting a search on the factory inventory system and arrange to acquire it from another dealership. In addition, your dealership may be able to meet your request through the installation of factory authorized accessories.
    ..."
  • Options
    I think what we see from Toyota is that the way they run their automobile business, they develop a pretty fixed suite of vehicles to address a market segment with fairly small variations in each trim level. This allow them to hone production and drive suppliers to minimize defects while keeping costs low. Regional distribution (TMSUSA) has to forecast what they want for their region so that the actual building of vehicles is pretty predictable.

This produces good results for Toyota and its customers as long as you are pretty much willing to accept what you find or wait for what's coming in...

On the other hand, most car companies that support 'build to order' are much more subject to the whims of the market and the orders they get. It must make the production and supplier issues very difficult to manage. I think that Ford and Mercedes are two companies that offer 'build to order' . I also feel that both have their quality reputations deeply in the tank relative to Toyota and Lexus.

I like Toyota's recommendation. Find a Matrix that comes as close as you can to meeting your needs in the basic areas drivetrain, transmission, trim level and live with the extras you get and back fill the ones you want and can't find.

For example, we decided we really wanted a 2WD XR with ABS in Indigo Ink or Black. Here in New England we got the special order story. However we found one in Baltimore 6 hours away. Unfortunately I couldn't get there fast enough to do a deal on it, so we are still looking around.
  • Options
    I think what we see from Toyota is that in the automobile business you develop a pretty fixed suite of vehicles with fairly small variations in order to hone production and drive suppliers to minimize defects. And we know what a good result they produce.

On the other hand, most car companies that support 'build to order' are much more subject to the whims of the market. It must make the production and supplier issues very difficult to manage. Ford and Mercedes are two companies with their quality reputations in the tank trying to compete against Toyota and Lexus.

I like Toyota's recommendation. Find a Matrix that comes as close as you can to meeting your needs in the basic areas drivetrain, transmission, trim level and live with the extras you get and back fill the ones you want and can't find.

For example, we decided we really wanted a 2WD XR with ABS in Indigo Ink or Black. Here in New England we got the special order story. However we found one in Baltimore 6 hours away. Unfortunately I couldn't get there fast enough to do a deal on it, so we are still looking around.
  • Options
    lc9063lc9063 Member Posts: 17
    Toyota's attitude almost seems to be "take what we make". I have not seen a single XR that does not include the (overdone) Sport plus package. It would be even worse for someone like me who is interested in the Nav system (1 in 10). You have to hope that someone at Toyota marketing has the same taste in options that you do if want the car in a certain configuration.
  • Options
    rikkugonrikkugon Member Posts: 7
    I've been wanting to buy a '4WD Family car'; something safe for my kids, fun, that can handle rough roads to go skiing and camping. So I fell in love with the matrix as soon as I heard about it. Sadly, however, after a test drive and research, I won't get it because;
    -it's a first year model, and risky (although still a Toyota),
    -the engine seems too weak; I bet it'll get another 20-30 hp in next year's model,
    -No manual; again I think Toyota will work this out by next year,
    -a bit low; I can't imagine riding it in rough dirt roads (although I think it'll be good for snow/ice conditions).
    My opinion is it will be a great car next year, but it's still a bit early. If anyone can convince me I'm wrong, however, please do!
  • Options
    raven18raven18 Member Posts: 33
    my take on the whole build to order vehicles is this- while it would be nice to order a vehicle exactly like we want, with the features, colors,options, ect..,it is not cost effective for toyota and in turn for the consumer. The way that manufacturers decide what vehicles to build and what options to put in them comes by way of surveys-they ask consumers what they would like to see in a vehicle at a certain price range. Now some may not agree with the toyota survey, I think they do their homework on this stuff. It's not just toyota people making these decisions, it's companies in the business of finding out what people want in a vehicle in various areas and then they report back to toyota with their findings, and then toyota makes the decision of which trim levels to produce. Now i'm not saying this is an exact science and some people may feel left out, but the vehicles that are put out are the ones that in theory should sell. Of course this is only my opinion, which I base on what I read and have been exposed to through the internet and the media. footie has the concept down as I can tell from his post. If one wants an XR without the ground effects maybe they could ask the dealer to remove them. I wonder how hard it would be to do that? Has anyone asked that question? Myself I like the idea of the ground effects and fogs, it makes the matrix look more sporty (IMO)
  • Options
    southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    rikkugon, Do you really need 4WD? In many areas of the country it is totally unnecessary. You can have more power and manual if you'll be willing to take a 2WD and you'll get better gas mileage to boot! I am not concerned with the Matrix being a first year model because I've never had a problem with quality in Toyotas.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    We just picked-up our XR 4WD last Friday. The vehicle is extremely tight and solid. There is overall feeling of quality throughout the car (very similar to our Camry). The cabin is airy, spacious and quiet at cruising speeds. It drives like a good compact car. There are lots of storage compartments. The flat folding seats are very functional. Since we our still in the break-in period we cannot comment on heavy acceleration. To date, I can safely predict that the motor will not be too weak for our needs (that's a personal decision). However don't expect blazing power. Gas mileage is excellent. We have not been able to test the AWD system yet (we'll wait for next winter). The one drawback is the steering column. I am having a difficult time finding a comfortable driving position because it is too close to the dash. Getting many stares and comments "positive" from old and young. Don't expect an increase in power or any changes for the next year or two.
  • Options
    jdtsjdts Member Posts: 3
    footie. If you were willing to go to Baltimore, how about western NY? I know there is a Black 2WD XR w/ABS @ Vanderstyne Toyota in Rochester.
  • Options
    Does it seem to anyone else that Toyota tossed in an AWD model as an afterthought here? I agree with previous post that first year model ought not to be a problem given that it is Toyota, but why put an engine in the HEAVIER AWD model, that has LESS power? And why no manual? It seems logical to have a manual on an AWD. I was thinking of getting one because I go to the snow a lot, but I think I will wait a year or two in the hopes that Toyota will increase the power a bit. Of course, maybe my opinion would change if I could actually find one to test drive - very rare around the SF bay area. I guess the upside is the gas mileage must be really good right?

• Options
    civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    I completely agree with lc9063. Toyota has needlessly made it a hassle for customers to find the Matrix that they want, by having lots of different (and useless) combinations of their options. Just look at the math. They are selling about 6000 Matrix units every month throughout the U.S., in scores of different combinations, depending on their guess of what combinations will be popular in a particular region at a point in time. What are the chances that a buyer will find the combinations they want on the dealer lot? ZERO!

For example, I'd be interested in a 2wd auto Matrix XR, without any Toyota imposed "options". Such an animal does not exist. I have to take useless/expensive frills such as the sport package, a sunroof, and similar stuff. While some people like the ground effects, some people really hate them. That's why it's silly to make them mandatory on the XR.

Another example: my sister in Los Angeles was looking for a RAV4, with a cargo cover, but the ones in LA didn't come with the cargo cover (but came with $800 alloy wheels). The marketing brain surgeons at Toyota decided that the RAV cargo cover would be "popular" ONLY with buyers in the San Francisco Bay Area, but not with buyers in a huge area like LA! That cargo cover was $80 if it came installed with the RAV, but $400+ if bought as a part from the dealer. So after a long search, my sister ended up buying her RAV from a dealer in the SF Bay Area, rather than LA. She actually ended up saving over $1000, because the SF Bay Area RAVs also did not have the $800 alloy wheels (which she did not want).

IMHO, this business of devising hundreds of these "popular" combinations, under the guise of meeting customer needs is nothing but busy work for some people at Toyota.

My suggestion to Toyota would be to have no more than 3-4 trim levels, without any options, just like Honda; leave installation of accessories to the dealer and customer. That way customers will know what they can DEFINITELY find at the dealer. Or offer a true build to order system.
  • Options
    jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    Sounds like you should consider a Subaru Forester. It has AWD, is available with a 5-speed, has decent interior space (not as much as Matrix) and a torquey 165HP 2.5 liter engine. They are fun cars and a good value for the money. Just FYI.

-jim

PS: I am NOT trolling, so no flames please!
  • Options
    jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I think Toyota will sell out Matrix production regardless of how they build them. In general, that's true of most Toyota models. So, whether they build the Matrix in 60 different configurations, or 5 different configurations doesn't make a difference to Toyota, only to their frustrated customers. Toyota's many options create the PERCEPTION that the customer can find exactly what they are looking for. In reality, they have to accept whatever Toyota has decided to ship that month to the dealer.

Building popular, LOW volume vehicles like the Matrix in many different configurations makes it harder, not easier for customers to find what they want. Just my 2 c.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    How many Matrix owners or would be owners have had problems with the driving position? I'm 5'6", 120#, so I'm small for a guy. In order to reach the dash mounted shifter (a very stupid position if you ask me and totally uncomfortable) and the steering wheel that appears to have no column whatsoever, my legs end up getting scrunched up in the footwell and the large dash begins to feel too close and confining. The windshield also appears to be too small and the large A pillars impose on your forward vision. The driving experience wasn't at all what I expected. I absolutely love the style and space of the Matrix and the one I drove was even reasonably priced, but that driving position just felt weird and made it feel larger and heavier then it really is. Does anyone else have these issues? Did you get used to it? Also, does anyone know whether you can add the rear wiper at the dealer? None of them had a rear wiper and I think it would be very useful.

As a side note, living in the SE has to be the worst place to buy a Toyota. They add the most useless stuff to their cars and charge you more freight. The added freight charges don't make sense when the SE is quite close to the Camry plant in Kentucky and not as far from the Canada plant as California. They had a black base Matrix (would prefer the XR) equipped how I wanted it (power package, CD player, keyless entry, 16" alloy wheels, 5 speed manual) but then added a hideous graphics package (adds 285 to the price) that covers most of the side of the car. When I said I would want it taken off, the salesman had the nerve to say, "Sure, we can take it off, but we won't be liable for any damage". WTF?? I'm 22 and I can't stand these "cool" graphics packages. Who exactly are they going after with these things? There was another one that was even worse. The car was white and had some yellow and blue flames around the edge of the hood and along the front panels. Looked totally ridiculous. Being turned off by the graphics I considered going to a Cosmic Blue one that was equipped the same, but it had a big scratch on the driver's door. Instead of saying, "oh, we'll take care of that. Repaint it if necessary", I got, "That's good, means money off for you!". Uuggh...I find myself being pushed closer to buying the Aerio SX instead even though it doens't have the renowned reliability of Toyota. At least they make everything standard and only have 1 option from the factory. And their dealers don't try to force graphics packages down your throat!!
  • Options
    jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    The rear wiper is available on the XR and XRS, not on the base. But hey, you get the cool graphics package, that's more useful than a rear wiper ;) By the way, the graphics package is a Toyota regional option, not a dealer option. Toyota's research probably shows that the graphics package would be more popular than a rear wiper.
  • Options
    Thanks for feedback on this.
    southpaw; I think I have some practical uses for AWD - lots of nearby mountains, many poorly kept dirt roads, many Natl parks, some snow in winter. But you're right; *any* car would do if driven carefully enough, and wanting a 4WD is at least in part ego and self-indulgence. One reason I liked the Matrix so much is the economy; I don't want to have a gas-guzzling SUV for 90% commuter use. But I can't get it because I think I would cry if a rock flew up and dinged the chasis. I think Toyota needs to do a bit more to live up to their 'part SUV' advertising for this model.

I do agree that Toyota is much less risk for a first year model, but hey - anyone can make mistakes. I've heard about things like rattles and the radio squealing when hitting the brakes, and the twin Pontiac Vibe is even being recalled for loose bolts (easy to fix, but really bad if you don't). While these may be minor problems, they'll probably won't exist at all in next year's model.

nippononly; my understanding is that both the smaller engine and automatic are to avoid stressing the viscous coupling. Again, I think this is something that Toyota can work out in the near future, since others already have (like Subaru ;^).

So what will I get? A RAV4. It may seem like apples and oranges to some, but in a way, I see an overlap in niche. In fact,the body of a RAV4 is a little smaller (though it sits higher and has more cargo room). But I'll probably be a bit envious whenever I see a Matrix out there!
  • Options
    The engine is the same, but apparently the increased complexity of re-routing the exhaust around the AWD drivetrain sapped the power down to 123 hp. Maybe other have heard this reason too, but then again (like rikkugon said) Subaru has been doing this for years and can crank out 165 hp.
  • Options
    Thanks for feedback on this.
    southpaw; I think I have some practical uses for AWD - lots of nearby mountains, many poorly kept dirt roads, many Natl parks, some snow in winter. But you're right; *any* car would do if driven carefully enough, and wanting a 4WD is at least in part ego and self-indulgence. One reason I liked the Matrix so much is the economy; I don't want to have a gas-guzzling SUV for 90% commuter use. But I can't get it because I think I would cry if a rock flew up and dinged the chasis. I think Toyota needs to do a bit more to live up to their 'part SUV' advertising for this model.

I do agree that Toyota is much less risk for a first year model, but hey - anyone can make mistakes. I've heard about things like rattles and the radio squealing when hitting the brakes, and the twin Pontiac Vibe is even being recalled for loose bolts (easy to fix, but really bad if you don't). While these may be minor problems, they'll probably won't exist at all in next year's model.

nippononly; my understanding is that both the smaller engine and automatic are to avoid stressing the viscous coupling. Again, I think this is something that Toyota can work out in the near future, since others already have (like Subaru ;^).

So what will I get? A RAV4. It may seem like apples and oranges to some, but in a way, I see an overlap in niche. In fact,the body of a RAV4 is a little smaller (though it sits higher and has more cargo room). But I'll probably be a bit envious whenever I see a Matrix out there!
  • Options
    alexiskaialexiskai Member Posts: 21
    I had some lower back pain when I first got the car, but it's gone now, so either I adjusted to the seats or it was something else causing it. I haven't felt like the windshield was too small either - maybe it depends on what car you're switching from. I also bought from Toyota SE, and unlike apparently everyone else, I had no problem getting exactly what I wanted (base automatic, cruise control, nothing else) without any crap from Toyota SE. This may be because I put a deposit on the car while it was still in processing at Jacksonville, and hence SE never had a chance to ruin it with features. My advice: If these guys are trying to sell cars on the lot that have visible damage, you're better off looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    when a car is engineered to be an AWD, as opposed to adding AWD to an existing model. That is why the Subaru can have 165 hp, while the matrix AWD has 123.

All I know is this, the matrix AWD and the RAV4 AWD are roughly the same curb weight, and I have had the opportunity to drive both for several days each (RAV4 AWD and matrix 2WD), and I know that the RAV4, while it is speedy enough and easy to drive around town, has trouble maintaining highway speeds up hill, and has to be pushed to down-shift and whatnot. Sometimes if the hill is steep enough, it loses speed even THOUGH it has downshifted. By way of comparison, I have also rented the new 4 cylinder camry, which has no problems staying up to speed on the very same hills.

The matrix is the same weight as the RAV, but has 25 less hp, a reduction of about 17%. I would think it would be REALLY out of breath on the highway if it had to climb.

And BTW, I like both cars a lot, and almost bought a RAV4, but you should be aware that it has less space inside than the matrix. It is shorter by a noticeable margin.

• Options
    300silverbulit300silverbulit Member Posts: 60
    I have seen a documentray TV program on public TV. About modern manufacturing. The example was a Toyota auto plant. toyota pretty much invented just in time in delivery. From what I saw. The supply system had to be working perfectley. I think Toyota considers thier factory parts supply system more important than building cars optioned for individual buyers. Some parts where only in stock for a few hours and if a supply truck wasn't on time....

By contrast, I don't know if i got lucky but we ordered our saturn L series sedan last year and got the three options we wanted in the color we wanted in about three weeks. That IS the only benifit of the fixed sticker price auto sale method. If I was going to get ANY mass produced, from any other brand car off a dealer lot I would walk away if they diddn't offer around invoice for a high volume model.

The base matrix seems like a good deal. The overdone front spolier on the upper trim levels looks like it would get damaged easily on parking bump stops at stores ect.

Any auto body shop can change the front bumper cover/ spolier. Paint it to match your color. if you prefer the base model bumper cover. They are just black plastic covers and are easily painted and replaced from auto accidents. Any Toyota parts dept. can order one. actually they should be stocking them to supply thier areas body shops once the matrix gets settled into the market.

I'm keeping the matrix on my shopping list to replace my commuter car next year hopefully. if this economy gets better by then.
  • Options
    I don't think they add the option packages and crud you don't need to make the appearance of offering a wide variety of options to the consumer. I think they do it to make some extra profit of stuff they are selling to you!

I think Hoinda goes too far the other way, making cars with no options at all. For instance, what if you want a Civic EX coupe without a sunroof? Tough luck, all EX's have the 'roof.

Subaru is in a good spot right in the middle, they sell a lot of cars without many options, but do make some things optional if you want to wait for the right car to come along.

• Options
    Alright, this is splitting hairs a bit, but if you check the specs on the Toyota web pages, the RAV4 clearly has more cargo capacity, even with back seats up, than the Matrix - when measured in volume. However, most of this is because the back well is deeper on the RAV4; you'd have to stack things to take advantage of the room. I don't know about the length of the beds; they seem about the same, maybe shorter for the RAV4. The RAV4 is certainly about 5 inches shorter overall than the Matrix. The seats fold to make a nice bed for the Matrix, but can be removed entirely for the RAV4. So technically the RAV4 holds more, but it's probably a lot easier to get stuff in and out of the Matrix.