Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    Former Zaino-holic here. My '05 Abyss Blue TL had about a billion coats of Z-5 (w/ZFX) when I traded it for the XK. Losing the ability to leisurely hand wash my car, I've weaned myself off of Zaino (I've been using Black Magic, which I find long lasting, good shine. But, I'm not sure they make it anymore. AutoZone had a buy one get one free deal, so just finished my second bottle in April), but am considering using the ZAIO. Z6 quick polish is cool, too and Z7 car wash smells like bubble gum... Oh, to be young again.

No Poltergeist trunk issues with the Jag XF. Still loving it, well, since the remote key module was replaced and I could again, well, drive it! So, 3.5 years, one issue. But, I mean it is heading towards 4 years old and the end of the warranty...

On the current list:
    M240i
    XE
    A/S5

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    :'( It's going to cost me $202 + tax above and beyond what insurance will pay.  So I told them to go ahead and replace the windshield.  Insurance will only pay $39 per hour - shop rate is $189.  My dealer dropped the labor costs to $436 (6 hours of labor) or $75 +/- an hour.  I will just pay the difference.  I don't want the job subcontracted out to some fly-by-night installer.  Besides, it will be done by my dealer in his shop.  So I won't have any warranty problems.

They said the car will probably be ready tomorrow sometime.  

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Yeah, well, we'll see indeed.....

Exactly - time will tell.  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Had my window star fixed just now. Took safelite guy with his fancy machine maybe 10 minutes total, including set up and signing receipt. Looks pretty good. I can tell was there, but really looks kinda like a bug splatter. So I should just bring car back dirty. Hopefully not get charged anything at turn in, even if I don't lease another Hyundai.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited June 2017
    abacomike said:

:'( It's going to cost me $202 + tax above and beyond what insurance will pay.  So I told them to go ahead and replace the windshield.  Insurance will only pay $39 per hour - shop rate is $189.  My dealer dropped the labor costs to $436 (6 hours of labor) or $75 +/- an hour.  I will just pay the difference.  I don't want the job subcontracted out to some fly-by-night installer.  Besides, it will be done by my dealer in his shop.  So I won't have any warranty problems.

Mike...I see a new Mercedes in the near future for you! ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    LD....I like Black Magic's tire shine. Spray on, let dry....lasts a couple of weeks. Hear good thing about their waxes. Hope they're still around. I like Zaino AIO....easy on, easy off. Good shine, good protection, lasts about 6 mos.

The one I keep wanting to try but haven't is Collinite. I've heard that stuff's tops in durability.
  • Options

Absolutely, positively no!

What surprised me is that the dealer's service department went ahead and did an oil change and filter change and completed the maintenance needed with the first service even though I had 3600 miles remaining before service was required. They said that based on mileage over the passed 2 months, they had the flexibility with BMW to do the service earlier.  No charge!  

But Mercedes has nothing in their line that I am attracted to.  I really miss my 740i even though I've been in this X5 loaner only 3 days.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    edited June 2017

LD....I like Black Magic's tire shine. Spray on, let dry....lasts a couple of weeks. Hear good thing about their waxes. Hope they're still around. I like Zaino AIO....easy on, easy off. Good shine, good protection, lasts about 6 mos.

The one I keep wanting to try but haven't is Collinite. I've heard that stuff's tops in durability.

I like Black Magic tire shine too.   Aside from Ardex "speedy" it's probably the best.  I lost my connection to Ardex products and they don't (or at least didn't ) sell to consumers. 

The speedy is the purplish dressing you will see at car dealers and car washes.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    edited June 2017
    #oldfarmer50,
    OK sure, 'your brother'. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Planning on going to Legendary Motor Car July 12th for my annual trip with a car friend;

Right now they have this 1970 for $120000 U.S.

Or this 65 Shelby GT 350 for sale-restoration (whatever that means) for $385000 U.S.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    driver...does the owner still have a show on Velocity? I've always thought his show was the least "staged".
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    abacomike said:

abacomike said:

What surprised me is that the dealer's service department went ahead and did an oil change and filter change and completed the maintenance needed with the first service even though I had 3600 miles remaining before service was required. They said that based on mileage over the passed 2 months, they had the flexibility with BMW to do the service earlier.  No charge!  

But Mercedes has nothing in their line that I am attracted to.  I really miss my 740i even though I've been in this X5 loaner only 3 days.

My Service Advisor has done a "pull ahead" on covered maintenance a few times for me- once he did an Oil Service early so I'd have fresh oil for an upcoming track event!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679

#oldfarmer50,
    OK sure, 'your brother'. :)

Yes, my brother. I could never get rid of a car like that. I might leave it at a garage and leave weeping but off a cliff? Never.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @marcothecarguy1986,
    On the way to work today, some kind of blacked out Charger was behind me, When we got to a light where it went to 2 lanes. I stayed in the left lane in 3rd spot. The Charger stopped in 1st position in the right lane next to a Tacoma pickup. The Charger jumped ahead before it went back to 1 lane, but the Tacoma rode right behind it all the way to the highway. Glad I stayed behind them.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

driver...does the owner still have a show on Velocity? I've always thought his show was the least "staged".

Not sure....haven't followed it recently. He was in the last time we were there a year ago....seemed kind of aloof. He did nod and say hello, but, he could have come over and talked to us a bit. Guess we didn't seem like possible buyers.

Found this:

• Options
    @driver100,
    Since you don't drive anything without a new car warranty, he read you like a cheap novel. :)
  • Options
    Before we were talking about 0 to 60 mph times. I was sent an email called 20 worst cars of all time, and this one stuck out:

The 1956 Renault Dauphine is a French made vehicle that originally was to be named the Corvette. Luckily that name was used for a much better vehicle. The Dauphine was so rickety and the metal used was so paper thin that rust was guaranteed. The design was similar to other cars of the time, it just used low quality materials. Worse than the shoddy construction was the Dauphines performance. It took the drivers of Road and Track 32 seconds to reach 60 mph.

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Yeah, well, we'll see indeed.....

Now now....they are a BMW Dealership so they MUST know what they are talking about....right?

Ground control to Major Tom.......
  • Options
    Legendary motorcars is still on. I assume you were obviously just tourists. Probably gets tired of them parading through (though maybe not that many people actually do?). Unless you buy a lot in the gift shop!

• Options

My Service Advisor has done a "pull ahead" on covered maintenance a few times for me- once he did an Oil Service early so I'd have fresh oil for an upcoming track event!

I did not know about "pull ahead" procedures.  Nice feature - provide the dealership's service department the flexibility to make decisions about maintenance for vehicles based upon their knowledge of the vehicle's needs.

BTW, RB, do you agree with my decision to go ahead and have my dealership install the windshield?  Insurance is paying $2500+ and I am paying $211 +  6% sales tax.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I agree that the dealership should install the windshield, but I think the insurance company and the dealer are being a bit unreasonable at your expense. On the one hand, a $39/hour labor rate is not remotely realistic. However, considering the issues your car the dealer should-and could-discount the parts/labor to save you the $21; they would still make a healthy profit. Before I worked at my dealership I got 10% off parts and labor just for being a BMW Car Club member.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    driver100 said:

Not sure....haven't followed it recently. He was in the last time we were there a year ago....seemed kind of aloof. He did nod and say hello, but, he could have come over and talked to us a bit. Guess we didn't seem like possible buyers.

He has a bit of a mixed reputation among people who have dealt with him, so I am not surprised with the aloof attitude.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

Legendary motorcars is still on. I assume you were obviously just tourists. Probably gets tired of them parading through (though maybe not that many people actually do?). Unless you buy a lot in the gift shop!

It was pretty quiet....and we were just tourists. They do have a bowl for donations for charity which we gave to....since it is only fair, they were providing entertainment. The chances we would buy something are slim and maybe they knew that.....OTOH, I learned in business sometimes deals are made in the most unlikely places and times with the most unlikely person........once you start talking you never know where it leads....someone knows someone who may just be interested, or have a car to sell, etc........

• Options
    edited June 2017

I agree that the dealership should install the windshield, but I think the insurance company and the dealer are being a bit unreasonable at your expense. On the one hand, a $39/hour labor rate is not remotely realistic. However, considering the issues your car the dealer should-and could-discount the parts/labor to save you the $21; they would still make a healthy profit. Before I worked at my dealership I got 10% off parts and labor just for being a BMW Car Club member.

Roadburner....I thought you got a quote for a windshield at about $1400 (maybe that was just for the glass itself). I doubt the insurance company would pay $2500 if they can get it done for less. As we discussed before, unless it is actually in the policy will be replaced with OEM glass, doesn't the insurance company just have to get you fixed up enough so your life can continue on. Like when they fix your car after an accident but you find out your car will be worth $5000 less when you trade it in because it was in an accident.

• Options
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

He has a bit of a mixed reputation among people who have dealt with him, so I am not surprised with the aloof attitude.
    To be fair, I read this about him and it would explain my experience perfectly. I have to give the guy credit, starting a business and doing it all on your own, is a very big achievement.

Hi, I just found that site and read this thread. I want to comment about Peter Klutt and clarify some things.
    I've known him for close to 30 years now since the very biginning of his first shop in the single unit he rented on Britannia near Master Steaks and runway 66 by Dixie road. I sold and bought cars from him and even worked for him at the second shop in Milton.

As far as I know Peter never had partners in his business but employees. Chris Simon is there and still there since the biginning and I think a lot of the business quality credit came from Chris passion for the Mustangs and Shelby in the early years of the business. Dave who is now almost running the business himself started to work there at the age of 16 cleaning the shop on weekends. I've had fun working with them and others that were there at the time.

Peter love cars, he's a real car guy but also a business man. He went to school in administration and marketing. He started his shop from his passion by his own taking a mortgage on his first house when he was in his early 20s. If you're not a real car guy you don't name your son after a Mustang designation. YES! KGT for the Mustang K code GT. Klutt G.T.
    When he bought his first real 1965 AC Cobra 289 he arrived at the shop with the car and had to leave for other things to do and told us ''if you want to go out with it for a test drive you can''. Chris and I jumped in the car and we went four our first drive of a REAL Cobra.

He has had the guts to push hard and believe in his dream. He's not were he is today because he had a rich dad who left a nice business to run. He built it over the years with hard work from scratch. I remember when I went to visit the actual building when it was Under construction and I told him '' this is a huge investment, the business will have to work to be able to pay for that'' and he answered me'' it will work!!''

He now own what I think is one of the nicest restoration and collector car facility in the world. He worked his way up the ladder to become what he is today. To achieve this you have to be hard sometimes and he may have step on some toes to do it. You can't please everybody!

He's now in the big league and has to follow for the business to live.
    When you meet him you don't know what is in his head at the moment, he may be calm and relax and have time to talk. Or he may be in a very busy period and running like hell to get everything scheduled in time for this and that.

I've been there sometimes and he had no time to talk to me and some other times he was relax and could talk we me. This is life.

I personally think he is a nice guy but also a business man.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited June 2017
    A rare sight: an F-16 being moved by truck in essentially whole configuration to Wright Patterson Air Force Base nearby. Most plane accidents end in lots of damage. Plane was upside down at end of runway after bad weather landing day prior to air show in Vandalia (Dayton). Thunderbirds did not fly either day of air show.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    driver100 said:

Before we were talking about 0 to 60 mph times. I was sent an email called 20 worst cars of all time, and this one stuck out:

The 1956 Renault Dauphine is a French made vehicle that originally was to be named the Corvette. Luckily that name was used for a much better vehicle. The Dauphine was so rickety and the metal used was so paper thin that rust was guaranteed. The design was similar to other cars of the time, it just used low quality materials. Worse than the shoddy construction was the Dauphines performance. It took the drivers of Road and Track 32 seconds to reach 60 mph.

driver100 said:

But a very nice looking car for 1956 !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Driver, I guess with legendary, you wouldn't be touristing unless you liked cars. So always possible a rich guy like you could make an impulse buy!

• Options
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

But a very nice looking car for 1956 !
    It was and it sold really well because of it......but people quickly found out how unreliable they were.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Driver, I guess with legendary, you wouldn't be touristing unless you liked cars. So always possible a rich guy like you could make an impulse buy!

Thanks stick.....I think!

A few years ago I went to a cruise night with my wife and she said if you really want one of these cars why not buy it? I don't really have a place to park it, I am not gifted mechanically so I can't even do a simple fix, and.....do I really need one more thing to have to take care of and think about? It was a nice thought, and it would be fun to drive around on a Sunday in a 58 T-Bird, but, easier just to go and look at them and dream about driving it.

• Options
    Another thing is we have all heard about the guy who goes to the showroom looking at new cars, and he is very poorly dressed in old torn clothes. None of the salesmen want to waste a turn talking to him. And, he is the guy who buys the most expensive car on the lot.....you never know!

• Options
    Still debating if I should just buy a cheaper fun car to have as spare. Like my old Nate grandson, just something I fit in. Bradd's prelude would work. Just so hard to find something. I just just give QB a budget and hire him to get for me!

• Options
    edited June 2017
    My wife had a new Renault 18i when we first started dating. It was slow as molasses but it had that wonderful ride most French cars of the era were renowned for. Of course it cornered on the door handles, but it could still carry a bit of speed though the twisty bits. Unfortunately ,it was-surprise!-plagued with chronic problems. At the same time I had my 10 year old BMW Bavaria 3.0 and not only did it suffer fewer issues, it was always less expensive to fix.

• Options

stickguy said:

Still debating if I should just buy a cheaper fun car to have as spare. Like my old Nate grandson, just something I fit in. Bradd's prelude would work. Just so hard to find something. I just just give QB a budget and hire him to get for me!

Why not something like a Civic Si, or the hot version of the Mazda 3 RB used to have.  Plenty quick for where we live and not too punishing to live with.  

Or... go the other end of the spectrum with something like a last gen Solara convertible.  

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    driver100 said:

A few years ago I went to a cruise night with my wife and she said if you really want one of these cars why not buy it? I don't really have a place to park it, I am not gifted mechanically so I can't even do a simple fix, and.....do I really need one more thing to have to take care of and think about? It was a nice thought, and it would be fun to drive around on a Sunday in a 58 T-Bird, but, easier just to go and look at them and dream about driving it.

I'm sure a fellow of your means (judging from that designer toilet you were lording over the rest of us a while ago) could afford to be like the guy locally who I encountered in his Rolls Royce Ghost over the weekend. I had business dealings with him when I was working and was impressed with his car collection - Bentleys, Shelby Cobras, Corvettes, Ferarris, etc. He has a couple of huge garages that hold 20 or 30 vehicles outside of town and employs a couple of people to take care of all the dirty stuff.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    If I could stumble over another Si lease deal of the century, I would do it. Still hurts passing on that. But find a non thrashed cheap used sporty car, is not easy.

• Options
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

I'm sure a fellow of your means (judging from that designer toilet you were lording over the rest of us a while ago) could afford to be like the guy locally who I encountered in his Rolls Royce Ghost over the weekend. I had business dealings with him when I was working and was impressed with his car collection - Bentleys, Shelby Cobras, Corvettes, Ferarris, etc. He has a couple of huge garages that hold 20 or 30 vehicles outside of town and employs a couple of people to take care of all the dirty stuff.
    I have learned my lesson....sometimes it is more work than it is worth. I am not like Jay Leno who has staff to look after stuff. I would get frustrated when one of these older cars doesn't start....then remembering oil changes, making sure the insurance gets paid.....no, I would rather play pickleball.

• Options
    Roadburner....I see that movie "Baby Driver" has almost 100% on rottentomatoes and is getting excellent reviews. I didn't know what you were talking about when you said you saw "Baby Driver", I thought you meant my youngest daughter.

Since there isn't much in actual adult movies to see this Canada Day long weekend, we might have to go and see it (also considering Wonder Woman).

• Options
    edited June 2017
    stickguy said:

Do it. Love my time in the Cobra...can only drive it 6-8 mos out of the year, usually only on weekends, only with the top down, and only when it's sunny and dry. But, every time I do, I smile.

Personally, I'd look at a 350Z-370Z used, preferrably a roadster, must have manual trans. For all intents and purposes, that thing hasn't changed since they brought them out mid oughts. Should be able to find a nice one for under $10K.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

I agree. What's the point of having insurance if you have to pay for the windshield in the end? Either it is covered, or it's not covered. Tell the Insurance company to get into the 21st Century, or tell the Dealership to lower their pricing.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to post a $35,000 bond to self-insure.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

Do it. Love my time in the Cobra...can only drive it 6-8 mos out of the year, usually only on weekends, only with the top down, and only when it's sunny and dry. But, every time I do, I smile.

Personally, I'd look at a 350Z-370Z used, preferrably a roadster, must have manual trans. For all intents and purposes, that thing hasn't changed since they brought them out mid oughts. Should be able to find a nice one for under $10K.

That's one I didn't think of.  Quick suckers too, had one blow the doors off my Genesis.  

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    driver100 said:

I must rise in defense of the Dauphine. First of all, the car improved over time and handily outsold VW in the USA for a year or two. In fact, it was better than the Beetle in all areas except one---build quality. It was prettier, actually had a good heater, was more agile and stable, no slower than a VW (well maybe a second) and roomier (you could get 4 people in there, really). It also got much better fuel mileage.

What it really lacked was decent parts and service, and American-led management. Those things sunk it and gave it the bad rep IMO.

Their next car, the R-8, was a lot better.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

driver100 said:

I must rise in defense of the Dauphine. First of all, the car improved over time and handily outsold VW in the USA for a year or two. In fact, it was better than the Beetle in all areas except one---build quality. It was prettier, actually had a good heater, was more agile and stable, no slower than a VW (well maybe a second) and roomier (you could get 4 people in there, really). It also got much better fuel mileage.

What it really lacked was decent parts and service, and American-led management. Those things sunk it and gave it the bad rep IMO.

Their next car, the R-8, was a lot better.
    For some people, build quality is everything. Without it, you have a garage queen at best.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

stickguy said:

Why not a Miata? That says fun to me....with few hassles probably.

• Options
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Thanks stick.....I think!

What's the matter with you! :s That's like your wife telling you it's OK to go get yourself a mistress on the side...almost unheard of. And keeping a 58' T bird in good shape is probably cheaper than keeping two women happy.

You really blew it big time, buddy. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguy said:

You just missed the opportunity to buy my Classic for 1000 bucks. Snooze you lose.

• Options

The dealership decided not to charge me the $200+ for the labor differential - which I thought was stand-up! When I spoke to the service advisor a few minutes ago, she said that the car should be ready sometime around 4:00 - 5:00 PM this afternoon. So I decided that I would leave for the dealership around 3:00 PM to try and avoid what will probably be big-time traffic with everyone leaving for a 4th of July holiday. Hopefully everything is working correctly on the car because the shop will be closed until July 5th. I will go over everything with her prior to leaving.

Thanks for your feedback, RR - much appreciated, as always. ;)

2021 Genesis G90