Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,182
    Is there much news coverage down in the USA about the romaine lettuce/E-coli scare? It is all over the news up here and the two main supermarket chains have taken all romaine off their shelves in response. I am going through salad withdrawal, especially caesar salad which is my main choice, because of this. I may have to try some other type of salad greens, which at my age isn't easy... B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    carnaught said:

driver100 said:

Today, I was sitting in the C250 reading the newspaper and listening to the radio while my wife finished her game of tennis, and I hear a big thump right into my drivers door....I backed in to the space. Some woman driving a newer Buick convertible got out of her car and smacked my car with her door. I got out and we both looked at the mark left and small indentation....she tried to wipe it off with some spit and a finger. She apologized a few times and said the door got away from her. Of course, she didn't have the decency to say here is $50 bucks to get a guy to fix it up. And it would have been even nicer to say here is my name and phone number, let me know if it costs more than that.

Some people.....and they are out there.

You were too nice my friend. I would have insisted she give me her name and insurance card, then I would have taken a picture of the car and her insurance card. She was caught in the act, and you both knew it. If she would have refused, I would have taken a picture of the damage and her licence plate, right in front of her.
    Carnaught, the problem was.......she knew my name so I assumed she was a friend of my wife and I didn't want to cause bad feelings. I told my wife about it and she doesn't know her by my description, so she may be the wife of one of my friends or I just know her from mixed doubles nights.
    Maybe she used my name so I would back off. I would say, if she seemed completely anonymous I would have done that. I don't think it is worth fixing at this point but if it gets a second mark I would get them both done.

It does show how easy it can happen..........and there I was actually sitting in the car and knew it happened.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    ab348 said:

Is there much news coverage down in the USA about the romaine lettuce/E-coli scare? It is all over the news up here and the two main supermarket chains have taken all romaine off their shelves in response. I am going through salad withdrawal, especially caesar salad which is my main choice, because of this. I may have to try some other type of salad greens, which at my age isn't easy... B)

We get our lettuce from farmers markets so I didn’t pay attention to it. Don’t generally buy romaine anyway, as we prefer butter or red leaf varieties.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

Today, I was sitting in the C250 reading the newspaper and listening to the radio while my wife finished her game of tennis, and I hear a big thump right into my drivers door....I backed in to the space. Some woman driving a newer Buick convertible got out of her car and smacked my car with her door. I got out and we both looked at the mark left and small indentation....she tried to wipe it off with some spit and a finger. She apologized a few times and said the door got away from her. Of course, she didn't have the decency to say here is $50 bucks to get a guy to fix it up. And it would have been even nicer to say here is my name and phone number, let me know if it costs more than that.

You were too nice my friend. I would have insisted she give me her name and insurance card, then I would have taken a picture of the car and her insurance card. She was caught in the act, and you both knew it. If she would have refused, I would have taken a picture of the damage and her licence plate, right in front of her.
    Carnaught, the problem was.......she knew my name so I assumed she was a friend of my wife and I didn't want to cause bad feelings. I told my wife about it and she doesn't know her by my description, so she may be the wife of one of my friends or I just know her from mixed doubles nights.
    Maybe she used my name so I would back off. I would say, if she seemed completely anonymous I would have done that. I don't think it is worth fixing at this point but if it gets a second mark I would get them both done.

It does show how easy it can happen..........and there I was actually sitting in the car and knew it happened.
    So what if you know her? My next door neighbor backed into my car once. She still gave me her insurance info.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Thanks for the heads up ab. I make a salad almost every day for lunch so that I can continue to wear my horizontal stripes. I always buy the prewashed salads that come in a bag, and I always choose romaine, which is supposedly superior. It says the problem originates in California they think, and was definitely in Canada and these states; States where the E. coli had been linked to people falling ill included California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Vermont and Washington.

They advise washing salads even if prewashed...that is what I will do for now...just to be safe.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,766
    edited January 2018
    driver100 said:

I knew that Target wouldn't survive in Canada because of all the mistakes they were making. I tried to get an interview to tell them what they were doing wrong, but, they said I had to do an online resume. My answers wouldn't fit the format so I couldn't advance on the form. They lost $5.4 Billion and I could have saved them.

How much were you going to charge for the advice? A million? Then they only would have saved 5.399 Billion assuming your advice was good enough to break them even. :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,337

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,766
    bwia said:

driver100 said:

Hi Fezo and Happy New Year. I liked the article and learned something from this:
    Kindness breeds kindness. Aggression breeds aggression.

We all know that driving cultures vary widely from city to city. My impression is that people in Seattle dawdle, people in Los Angeles get right up on your tail but are pretty skilled about it, and those of us from the New York/New Jersey area treat driving as if it were foreplay to genocide.

Studies have been done, of course. According to Allstate, the most accident-prone drivers live in Boston; Baltimore; Worcester, Mass.; Washington, D.C.; and Springfield, Mass. (Way to go, Massachusetts!) The safest drivers live in Kansas City, Kan.; Brownsville, Tex.; Madison, Wis.; and Huntsville, Ala.

But I am surprised there are worse places to drive than in Florida.....this is bad enough!

Massachusetts motorists may be bad drivers but through no fault of their own though. Blame that on poor road designs. Most of Boston's streets are former Indian (Native American) trails and cow paths. No one had the foresight to envision a horse-less carriage, and when they arrived it was too expensive to redesign and change the layouts of the streets. On top of that mess are bike paths and traffic circles that defy even the most sophisticated GPS systems. And in the end, we all pay for that in form higher premiums.
    Any correlation with "no fault" States being on that list? Is Mass. one of those?

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    edited January 2018
    suydam said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

So what if you know her? My next door neighbor backed into my car once. She still gave me her insurance info.

I agree, @suydam. She should have stepped up.

@driver100, the perpetrator already caused the bad feelings herself.
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    Here is my story about having a woman hit my car while I was in it. This happened to my '66 Bonneville in 1967:

I was sitting in the car around midnight with my soon to be wife after having gone to get some pizza after I got out of night school. We are discussing something about our upcoming wedding about 2 months later. I hear a bunch of women talking after leaving a house, (probably after a canasta game or something) they get into the car in front of me on the street (I was parallel parked). A few seconds later, WHAM, the car rocks. I got out of the car and walked up to the driver's window and this is some of the discussion:

Woman: I don't think I hurt your car.

Me: Mamm it's midnight how do you know that, you haven't gotten out of the car yet.

Woman: I can tell. :o

Me: All you have to do is get out of your car so we can look. You might even have done some damage to your car too.

Again, "I can tell".

After seeing the soon to be Mrs. j she reluctantly gets out of her car and then she just floored me.

Woman: You pulled up behind me. I was here first. Look at all those parking spots on the other side of the street. Why didn't you park over there? :'(

Me: Ah, ah, ah.

After I composed myself.

Me: It seems that you only hit my bumper but I won't know if there is any other damage until I get a chance to see it in the daylight tomorrow morning. Just give me your name, number and insurance company name and I'll call you tomorrow.

Woman: I don't see any damage.

She gets in her car and drives off. I had her license number so I walked the soon to be Mrs. j to her apartment and I head off to the police station. I ask the cop at the desk, "if someone hits your car on the street and you see it happen and the driver refuses to give you their information, is that considered hit-and-run"? He said, "you bet your @ss that's hit-and-run. Give me the license number and you'll get a call tomorrow and we'll let you know who it was. Do you want us to proceed with any charges". I told him to hold off on that for now.

To make a long story short my Father got the info for me (he had several contacts) before the City of Pittsburgh Police Dept. did.

I called the number and the woman's husband answered and he knew all about what happened and he said he told his wife that she was wrong and could be in trouble. Then he said he had already called his agent and the agent had the info and would be expecting a call from me. I called the agent and he wanted to know how much damage was done. I told him just a small dimple on the bumper. He told me that any damage would be covered and he would get back to me. About an hour later he called and told me the bumper for my car would cost $150 to replace (remember this was in 1967). He goes on to say he'd write me a check for $200 "just to make this go away".

I accepted of course. Why wouldn't I? That money came in handy for a soon to be married guy. Don't ask me where I spent it but I know I didn't replace that bumper.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,798
    driver100 said:

Maybe she was on welfare and $50 would have meant starving her 14 children and disabled aunt. Didja think about that? Huh? Huh? Boy you rich guys! :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited January 2018
    ab348 said:

I haven't followed that story in detail but if it is regular old e-coli that's no big deal. That's the main bacteria floating around the guts of most mammals. There's only one strain (0157) that produces a toxin that really is dangerous. Usually that strain is associated with crops grown with organic cow manure based fertilizer and improperly washed. Switch to that evil chemical fertilizer grown lettuce and you won't have the problem....unless it's a case of deliberate sabatoge.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,449
    carnaught said:
    Today, I was sitting in the C250 reading the newspaper and listening to the radio while my wife finished her game of tennis, and I hear a big thump right into my drivers door....I backed in to the space. Some woman driving a newer Buick convertible got out of her car and smacked my car with her door. I got out and we both looked at the mark left and small indentation....she tried to wipe it off with some spit and a finger. She apologized a few times and said the door got away from her. Of course, she didn't have the decency to say here is $50 bucks to get a guy to fix it up. And it would have been even nicer to say here is my name and phone number, let me know if it costs more than that. Some people.....and they are out there.
    Agreed. She would have paid- one way or another. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Michaell said:
    That article says the 3cyl. Mirage is "saving" Mitsu? Huh?

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That article is stumbling all over itself.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,035
    andres3 said:

Exactkly. Why did BMW take so bloody long to fix their cooling system failures. My god, it just went on and on.

And Subaru? They really couldn't figure out how to keep a head gasket on an engine?

I really do get how difficult it is to perfectly engineer a new product, and I'll give any automaker some slack for the first year or two. But to not correct issues over the span of a decade---that's just inexcusable IMO.

I agree, and Chrysler using a lame-duck 3-speed auto in a '95 car was unacceptable too.
    '95? Hell, I had a Chevy Cavalier rental with a 3-spd auto... can't remember the exact year, but it was after I got married in 2000.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    ab348 said:
    Yes, I read an article in the paper and Fox News had a good news spot on the problem.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

I haven't followed that story in detail but if it is regular old e-coli that's no big deal. That's the main bacteria floating around the guts of most mammals. There's only one strain (0157) that produces a toxin that really is dangerous. Usually that strain is associated with crops grown with organic cow manure based fertilizer and improperly washed. Switch to that evil chemical fertilizer grown lettuce and you won't have the problem....unless it's a case of deliberate sabatoge.

The strain is indeed 0157. I wonder if it would only apply to lettuce labeled as Organic? I never buy that kind.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,188
    edited January 2018
    Maybe I just don't have the exquisite tastes for cars that are finicky, but with the BMW being sensitive to the material composing the outer shell and contact of a light bulb and whether it's silver alloy or brass, wouldn't it be easier just to change the sensitivity on the bleed current level that detects a "foreign" bulb so it's not quite so intolerant. To me that would be an example of having engineered the "ultimate driving machine." Instead the system is engineered to be ultimate in sensitivity to a non-BMW contact. In reality I wonder if it's the contact that's being measured or the resistance of the element.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    Michaell, no time ta read the whole article on the Toyota Yaris iA stick...busy busy lately. But it looks like a good one. You can't go wrong with the build of that car, though the looks of the front end still annoy many.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,983
    OF, go with the Hertz job if they offer it to ya. I love it, work 3 days/week, do usually 29 hours give or take. Don't have to work since my postal pension is pretty decent and my CPA wife works close to full time hours. Just nice to get out of the house and be with other folks and just add to our retirement accounts since we still live below our means. It's also cool to drive so many different vehicles especially now when we're getting all our new 2018 models in. I actually look forward to going to work truth be told since cars are my passion and always have been. To get paid to do this us just the icing on the cake!!
    Go for it!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,983
    Have driven about a dozen or so if the new Camby LE's at work and they are excellent vehicles. Haven't got behind the wheel of an SE unit yet but expect the same, an excellent vehicle!! A sure the new Accord us also an excellent vehicle but can't comment on one yet. I think a person buying either would be very happy with their choice. Sure, the Accord looks a bit edgier but think the Camry looks pretty damn good!! Would be thrilled to own either one to be honest!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    suydam said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

Backing into my car - I would definitely get the license information. A scratch and dent...probably $75 tops - since she didn't offer it would be a real hassle getting her to pay up.....and it could be a he said - she said. And, I don't know how big her husband is.

• Options
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

I knew that Target wouldn't survive in Canada because of all the mistakes they were making. I tried to get an interview to tell them what they were doing wrong, but, they said I had to do an online resume. My answers wouldn't fit the format so I couldn't advance on the form. They lost $5.4 Billion and I could have saved them.

How much were you going to charge for the advice? A million? Then they only would have saved 5.399 Billion assuming your advice was good enough to break them even. :smile:
    I would have done it for free if they let me. It would have been a thrill to save Target. I knew exactly what they had to do.........their loss. The experts don't have a clue what to do....they ruin retail chains. You have to have a sense for what people really want, and you don't learn that from a text book or an MBA course.

• Options
    driver100 said:

suydam said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

Backing into my car - I would definitely get the license information. A scratch and dent...probably $75 tops - since she didn't offer it would be a real hassle getting her to pay up.....and it could be a he said - she said. And, I don't know how big her husband is.
    Again, she would pay- I don't believe in rewarding negligent/moronic behavior.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    edited January 2018
    carnaught said:

suydam said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

I agree, @suydam. She should have stepped up.

@driver100, the perpetrator already caused the bad feelings herself.
    Carnaught.....I put it down to complete ignorance and being a selfish unthinking pig.....I don't want to chace her for the money.....I am treating it like I didn't see it happen and I would be in the same boat. I am surprised I have gone unscathed so far...the way people drive, leave leave shopping carts, and open their car doors I am amazed that is all that has happened. It would have been nice if she offered to pay, but, it isn't worth the hassle to me.....and funny, she is driving a pretty new Buick convertible.....pretty rare car.

• Options

driver100 said:

Maybe she was on welfare and $50 would have meant starving her 14 children and disabled aunt. Didja think about that? Huh? Huh? Boy you rich guys! :'(
    And she drives a new model Buick convertible so she can get to the store to but pasteurized milk.

• Options

driver100 said:

suydam said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

I think it would be more trouble than it is worth. Get quotes, track her down, get her to sign something that she did it (no witnesses), try meeting with her, we probably live at least 15 miles apart....have a guy come and fix it, .try to get her to write a check out.....a week or so later. for $50 to $75 it would cost me more to try and get the money off her then it is worth in time, money and my sanity. I just wanted to get away from the ignorant pig as she tried to fix it by spitting on her finger and rubbing it on the scratch/dent. If she offered to pay then and there or made arrangements...here is my number etc then I would have don that.

I see them on Judge Judy and they never take responsibility for their actions....like her, the door got away from me...not, I am some just a pig and have no pride.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,423
    My wife threw out all our romaine lettuce. Given my history of off-the-wall life threatening medical ailments, my docs have instructed me that I'm not allowed to get anything with any lettuce near it. I've become THAT guy when ordering at a restaurant...
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,337
    qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

Exactkly. Why did BMW take so bloody long to fix their cooling system failures. My god, it just went on and on.

And Subaru? They really couldn't figure out how to keep a head gasket on an engine?

I really do get how difficult it is to perfectly engineer a new product, and I'll give any automaker some slack for the first year or two. But to not correct issues over the span of a decade---that's just inexcusable IMO.

I agree, and Chrysler using a lame-duck 3-speed auto in a '95 car was unacceptable too.
    '95? Hell, I had a Chevy Cavalier rental with a 3-spd auto... can't remember the exact year, but it was after I got married in 2000.
    My last business trip with IBM was to Bellingham, WA, in 2002. I also had a Cavalier with a 3-speed automatic as my rental.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

W

My 95 Lincoln was a high tech 4 speed auto. Of course so was my 86 Toyota. I drove my 69 Plymouth around for a week with only two speeds after I blew the transmission.

• Options

OF, go with the Hertz job if they offer it to ya. I love it, work 3 days/week, do usually 29 hours give or take. Don't have to work since my postal pension is pretty decent and my CPA wife works close to full time hours. Just nice to get out of the house and be with other folks and just add to our retirement accounts since we still live below our means. It's also cool to drive so many different vehicles especially now when we're getting all our new 2018 models in. I actually look forward to going to work truth be told since cars are my passion and always have been. To get paid to do this us just the icing on the cake!!
    Go for it!!!

Yes, Hertz is high on my list as a few of my buddies from the bus garage work there but I've also applied to Enterprise and a high end car dealership.

Thanks.

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

And she drives a new model Buick convertible so she can get to the store to but pasteurized milk.
    Didn't you ever hear the term "welfare Cadillac"? Your door banger was driving down. ;)

• Options
    "welfare Cadillac" ....you mean ab?
    I think I did the right thing.....she knew I was upset and thought she was an idiot. If she refused to pay or said it wasn't her what would I do? If I was a resident I could have pulled out my gun and made her pay up.

But, life has a way of balancing these things out. If I get a $300 rebate, I get a $300 repair the next day.

Yesterday I got a $50 ding....a week ago we bought furniture at Kanes and if it goes on sale within a week you can claim that too........so I called and got $43.

On Sunday I ordered a carton of 6 Fischer & Wieser Charred Pineapple Bourbon Sauce from amazon for $48. They arrived on Monday but they sent roasted raspberry sauce by mistake. I went online, reported the mistake, and no questions asked, they will send the pineapple bourbon sauce and no mention of returning the raspberry sauce.

$43 + $48 = $87....I actually came out ahead so far. If I got into a big argument with that ignorant woman I wouldn't have had the energy to make the two claims.

• Options

qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

W

My 95 Lincoln was a high tech 4 speed auto. Of course so was my 86 Toyota. I drove my 69 Plymouth around for a week with only two speeds after I blew the transmission.

So, my son-in-law made his 2004 X3 a 2WD car from a 4WD car.

btw....I haven't heard how that is working out.

• Options
    driver100 said:

..and funny, she is driving a pretty new Buick convertible.....pretty rare car.

You've gotta watch out for those Buicks.

• Options
    driver100 said:

HEY NOW!!! :@

I thought we reserved such insults for Genesis drivers. :D

• Options

driver100 said:

..and funny, she is driving a pretty new Buick convertible.....pretty rare car.

You've gotta watch out for those Buicks.

Ya, it made me feel even worse....getting dinged by a Buick of all things.

I think she was only about 45 too!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Since it looks like no romaine will be available any time soon until they figure this out, I will have to try types of lettuce I've never bought previously. Red leaf, butter, what have you. I know one thing, after my one and only experience with kale I will NOT be making a kale caesar salad.

It amazes me that supply chain data is apparently so unavailable that they cannot trace where the contaminated stuff came from. That in itself is a bit scary.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    abacomike said:

One of my neighbors bought a 2018 Toyota Camry XLE yesterday - he parks right next to me. It's a gray/silver color with black interior. I saw him this morning before I took off for my daily walk and to fill up with gas, and I congratulated him on his new car. He opened the door and I sat in the front seat. Impressive, both inside and outside. Toyota has finally built a car that "I" like. The front end is a bit questionable for my taste, but acceptable. But the rest of the car is beautiful. Body fit is excellent. He got the car loaded with GPS, HD upgraded radio, blind spot monitors and lane departure warning, upgrade interior. I didn't have time to take it for a spin with him but he promised he would do so the next time we bumped into each other.

The car MSRP'd for $37,862 - this is the 6 cylinder model with leather interior. He told me he paid $35,000 cash for the car which, according to my research, is a great price. This car is definitely worth a second look - luxurious, sufficient power and torque curve (301 hp). at a reasonable price.

I agree the new Camry is quite impressive and the price of a top of line model is way into luxury sedan territory. And that begs the question, what is going to happen to Avalon.

A side-by-side comparison of the 2018 Avalon/Camry models show the Avalon has a weaker V6 engine, 268 hp vs 301, and similar interior and exterior dimensions, except the Avalon is 2" longer. When it comes to styling, the Camry is modern and avant-garde while the Avalon is generic and stale. With such a substantial advantage to the Camry, why would someone buy an Avalon?

But more importantly, is Toyota planning to kill the Avalon? And besides, large car sales are down and probably won't rebound anytime soon. I used to like the Avalon but I've fallen out of love with the current model.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670

Have driven about a dozen or so if the new Camby LE's at work and they are excellent vehicles. Haven't got behind the wheel of an SE unit yet but expect the same, an excellent vehicle!! A sure the new Accord us also an excellent vehicle but can't comment on one yet. I think a person buying either would be very happy with their choice. Sure, the Accord looks a bit edgier but think the Camry looks pretty damn good!! Would be thrilled to own either one to be honest!!!

SAndy....I have no doubt the new Camry is nice to drive. I know me, however. If I were in the market for one, it would be the high zoom suited V6 all loaded up. Which puts it perilously close to some other cars I like much more price wise. Not sure of the price delta, but high $30s will also get you in the neighborhood of an ES 350.

Of course, you can say the same for a loaded up Accord. It would get near the price of an Acura TLX.

Not sold on the looks of either.

Driver.....you just have the kind of outlook on life that I wish I could adopt.....more or less it’s “c’est la vie”. That’s a good thing.

You mentioned Amazon....I ordered a wireless charger for my bed stand for my phone. They had one that had a price with a coupon code for about $12. If you’ve seen the one’s they sell at Best But, that’s about 1/4th the price.

Anyway, I place the order with the coupon code. It’s an Amazon Prime “recommended” product, which is good. Order goes through. Got an email this a.m. stating my order was cancelled. I didn’t do it. I go to the Amazon web page for this charger, but now, it’s 2x the price I bought it.

It’s available, just not at the price that was promised. Don’t know if it’s Amazon or the company who offered the charger (RAV POWER). I know one thing, I won’t buy anything from RAV POWER again. And, I’ll log a complaint with Amazon. Do I expect anything positive to come out of it? No! But, I wish I could let stuff like that go.

Driver....you have my admiration.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

Anyway, I place the order with the coupon code. It’s an Amazon Prime “recommended” product, which is good. Order goes through. Got an email this a.m. stating my order was cancelled. I didn’t do it. I go to the Amazon web page for this charger, but now, it’s 2x the price I bought it.

It’s available, just not at the price that was promised. Don’t know if it’s Amazon or the company who offered the charger (RAV POWER). I know one thing, I won’t buy anything from RAV POWER again. And, I’ll log a complaint with Amazon. Do I expect anything positive to come out of it? No! But, I wish I could let stuff like that go..

I had a relatively minor problem of similar value and I called the telephone number after working through their layers of self help on problems. The lady did something like gave me the item free and credited something to my gift card balance over the problem--which might have been related to shipping dates/delivery. They more than took care of the minor problem. Really gained my loyalty. Now that Amazon has been politicized with Bezos, not so much. But it might be worth a try for you. Best would be they'd ship the item at the promised price. I think because I was purchasing regularly from Amazon that helped when there was a problem.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,273
    Never had an Amazon issue, and in 20+ years buying and selling on ebay, only a couple issues - maybe I am lucky. Once had a paypal issue where I never received a ~$50 item, nor any communication from seller (from a standalone website), paypal gave me a refund without hassle.

Amazon being yet another Seattle area success story helps, too. If only Bezos's Post could do today what it did 45 years ago B)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    driver100 said:

suydam said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

I hate to break this news but even the most minor of scratches and dents is going to be a whole lot more than 75.00 to fix! Chances are they will have to repaint the entire door or panel to match and body work is sky high now! Someone put a very small dent in our 2003 CRV on the rear quarter by the tailgate. 1000.00!
  • Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

suydam said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

I think it would be more trouble than it is worth. Get quotes, track her down, get her to sign something that she did it (no witnesses), try meeting with her, we probably live at least 15 miles apart....have a guy come and fix it, .try to get her to write a check out.....a week or so later. for $50 to $75 it would cost me more to try and get the money off her then it is worth in time, money and my sanity. I just wanted to get away from the ignorant pig as she tried to fix it by spitting on her finger and rubbing it on the scratch/dent. If she offered to pay then and there or made arrangements...here is my number etc then I would have don that.

I see them on Judge Judy and they never take responsibility for their actions....like her, the door got away from me...not, I am some just a pig and have no pride.
    She probably knows what you are thinking and will continue on her merry way not giving a thought to the damage she caused. You are simply enabling her.

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

I think I did the right thing.....she knew I was upset and thought she was an idiot. If she refused to pay or said it wasn't her what would I do? If I was a resident I could have pulled out my gun and made her pay up.

But, life has a way of balancing these things out. If I get a $300 rebate, I get a $300 repair the next day.

Yesterday I got a $50 ding....a week ago we bought furniture at Kanes and if it goes on sale within a week you can claim that too........so I called and got $43.

On Sunday I ordered a carton of 6 Fischer & Wieser Charred Pineapple Bourbon Sauce from amazon for $48. They arrived on Monday but they sent roasted raspberry sauce by mistake. I went online, reported the mistake, and no questions asked, they will send the pineapple bourbon sauce and no mention of returning the raspberry sauce.

$43 + $48 = $87....I actually came out ahead so far. If I got into a big argument with that ignorant woman I wouldn't have had the energy to make the two claims.

WHEW, why did I know you'd find a way to justify being taken advantage of ? Just didn't know it would be that complicated.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    driver100 said:

See, your Karma balanced out to the positive.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Since it looks like no romaine will be available any time soon until they figure this out, I will have to try types of lettuce I've never bought previously. Red leaf, butter, what have you. I know one thing, after my one and only experience with kale I will NOT be making a kale caesar salad.

It amazes me that supply chain data is apparently so unavailable that they cannot trace where the contaminated stuff came from. That in itself is a bit scary.

A lot of west coast packed produce actually is grown in Mexico. Sanitary regulations are less rigid there. The produce is bulk shipped to the packer so it could be a mixture of different sources by the time it gets to you.