Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,785

driver100 said:

New cars are like magnets for getting damaged.
    of course, one of oldfarmers old hoopties couldn't get hit had to be the new one.
    And, the SIL probably wouldn't have been hit....if she was in her old car.

If it's not damage to the body, it's a nail in a tire. So the nice new tire has a plug and seal for the rest of its life.

Twice I've had a nail in almost new Michelins.
    Worse is if you have to replace the tire due to damage, and you have AWD where all 4 tires should be at the exact same tread depth....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008

@oldfarmer50 ...damn....that sux!

Seen at Costco tonight.....

Bet that adds a hundred hp. B)
    But, only in his own mind :D

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

It could be worse. Could have uglified a really nice looking car;

• Options
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

of course, one of oldfarmers old hoopties couldn't get hit had to be the new one.

If it's not damage to the body, it's a nail in a tire. So the nice new tire has a plug and seal for the rest of its life.

Worse is if you have to replace the tire due to damage, and you have AWD where all 4 tires should be at the exact same tread depth....
    AWD and run flat tires........all have to be changed unless they are close in tread size.
    Don't AWD's have to be replaced in pairs?
    Why would this be necessary anyway as some cars have different size rear tires and front tires?

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,833
    edited June 2019
    My buddy just sent me a few more pictures of rental returns at his store.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,020
    That looks horribly bad.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,300
    edited June 2019
    Car caught in a tornado?

Back in November I had the fun of returning this to Hertz MKE:

They had a holding area for damaged vehicles, there were several, some a bit worse. The car that hit me was also from Hertz.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    driver100 said:

That Nissan is ugly, but I am not sure which one is uglier:

A lot of people hated the back end of the Aztek, but it was that double-front that make me go ehhh...

Looks like someone took two model car kits, sliced them horizontally, and glued them together... sloppily
  • Options

driver100 said:

Have a friend who owns a tire shop/garage and they have big jar that they throw various objects they have pulled out of tires. All sorts of things besides nails... pieces off filing cabinets, broken utility knife blades, a railroad spike... an interesting collection!
  • Options
    Gripe of the day.

Everyone hates robocalls but do you ever get roboMAIL? This is were you get the same junk mail solicitation clogging up your mailbox week after week.

Usually this is no problem since it just goes in the garbage but one particular one has me irked. I keep getting a solicitation from a health care company addressed to Kenneth Lemere (not me) telling me that I’ll be eligible for Medicare “soon” (been on it for years) and to contact them right away.

It got to the point where I called the company and told them there was no Kenneth here and to stop sending me junk mail. No problem they said, sorry for bothering you.

So what do I get in the mail today? Yep, mail to Kenneth. :@ :@ :@

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    what's the frequency kenneth?
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    I believe, that if you send it back carefully, and don't put a stamp on it, they have to pay double to receive it....that might get you off the list.
    We bought our Florida place 8 years ago and we get more mail from an owner who had the place previous to the previous owner. We get more mail for him than we do for us, charities, Cadillacs, insurance, etc.
    Thing is, he went to prison a few years before we got there and he died in prison about 5 years ago.....so, good luck oldfarmer.

• Options

Lesson is.....don't rent a blue car from Hertz!

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

driver100 said:

That Nissan is ugly, but I am not sure which one is uglier:

A lot of people hated the back end of the Aztek, but it was that double-front that make me go ehhh...

Looks like someone took two model car kits, sliced them horizontally, and glued them together... sloppily
    It looks like they took the grill off of a Pontiac Grand Am but couldn't find the right size GMC hood that would fit on properly to give it a good seal.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,432
    I had no idea they made Chrysler Pacifica Convertibles.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited June 2019
    fintail said:

Car caught in a tornado?

Back in November I had the fun of returning this to Hertz MKE:

They had a holding area for damaged vehicles, there were several, some a bit worse. The car that hit me was also from Hertz.

So is that welcome to the first, second or third world? In any case, glad you were not hurt.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

I believe, that if you send it back carefully, and don't put a stamp on it, they have to pay double to receive it....that might get you off the list.
    We bought our Florida place 8 years ago and we get more mail from an owner who had the place previous to the previous owner. We get more mail for him than we do for us, charities, Cadillacs, insurance, etc.
    Thing is, he went to prison a few years before we got there and he died in prison about 5 years ago.....so, good luck oldfarmer.

I did better than that. I stuffed their postage paid return envelope with all their correspondence from the last week with a scrawled old man rant written across the offer. They can pay for the privilege of getting yelled at.

• Options
    In preparation for, and to give you a heads up on the upcoming comment box changes, I've posted a guide to the new comment box. I've covered everything, where you can find it, how to use it, and what it does. Any questions you might have can be posted here in this thread. Shouldn't be too big of an adjustment. It is simply a settings change on the comment box, NOT a change in the forums software. How you navigate, sign in, and all the rest remains the same. This will get us past the issues some users have had with the links for attaching images and the like. Check it out. Wanted to try and make sure that everyone, especially you folks that make a lot of posts, will be prepared and not surprised when we implement this.

Coming Attractions - Changes to the Comment Box

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,707
    driver100 said:

Bet that adds a hundred hp. B)
    But, only in his own mind :D
    What mind?

@oldfarmer50, yep that is aggravating alright. Not to make light of your damaged bumper, but I'd take that rather than the 5K plus wallop that Mrs. j's new Subie went through when the college girl across the street nailed it two weeks after we got it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

driver100 said:

I did better than that. I stuffed their postage paid return envelope with all their correspondence from the last week with a scrawled old man rant written across the offer. They can pay for the privilege of getting yelled at.
    Love it!

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Maybe I need to take a pill.

Seems like every idiot is out on the road today. First I had a dump truck pull out of a side street making me slam on the brakes. He then continued committing moving violations like running red lights and driving down the turning lane.

Later, I had a pickup truck hauling a trailer load of pipes cut me off and then do 20 mph down the road. After that I had a woman make a right on red as I was half way into the intersection. She rolled along the curb for half a block before slowly drifting out into the street.

I think I’m staying home the rest of the day. I don’t like living in a Russian dash cam video.

• Options
    I know what you mean....some days go really well, other days....well, nothing goes right.

This morning I had to stop for a school bus.....you can appreciate that O-F. Just the other day they showed on the news how a lot of people do not stop for school buses.

Everyone stopped, but here is my complaint. Most days when I have to stop for a school bus, I see kids running down the street, often a block away, trying to make it onto the school bus. They always do, because the driver isn't going to take off without them. Usually the slowly walk across the street or take their sweet --- time actually getting on the bus. While 8 cars are waiting each way to get through so they can get to work or something :@

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I read the new instructions for posting. What do you guys think, that I have a doctorate in quantum physics?

The one good thing is more choices for emoticons.

btw....will the edit wheel stay the same?

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,206

What make/model did that start out life as? I cannot tell.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,842
    A Pacifica

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    That wreck reminds me of a scene from the Rockford Files episode "Just By Accident" after Jim returns a loaner car (a late '60s Riviera) he borrowed (and subsequently demolished) from a used car dealer friend, Freddie, played by Gordon Jump of WKRP fame:

Freddie: Well, I got the car back... nice. I think I'm going to put it on display right out front with a big sign on it. "Wreck of the Week, Drive Carefully".

Jim: Well, that'll make it look like you care. People will love you for it.

Freddie: You said you were going to drive it carefully, Jimmy baby, remember? The guys driving the tow truck that brought it in had a bet going. Want to hear the bet?

Jim: Not necessarily, no.

Freddie: Well one guy bet it was a Ford. The other guy said no, it was a Chrysler. Imagine the surprise when I grin and tell them, "It's a Buick".

Jim: Well I'm sorry Freddie, I really am. I didn't mean to...

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Ok what’s up with the draft not found nonsense? Just lost two posts.

• Options
    Actually a Subaru Outback. Look at the rocker panel on the driver’s door. The roofline on the passenger side does look like a Pacifica.

• Options
    ab348 said:

What make/model did that start out life as? I cannot tell.
    I couldn’t tell either until I expanded the picture enough to read Outback near the rocker.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,300
    Thanks, no lasting impacts I hope, although sometimes I wonder.

In terms of driving climate and maybe some socio-political concerns, maybe not entirely grounded in the first world. I thought Milwaukee was second only to Detroit for bad drivers on that trip, while notoriously complained-about Chicago wasn't as bad as expected.
    ruking1 said:

So is that welcome to the first, second or third world? In any case, glad you were not hurt.

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited June 2019
    fintail said:

Thanks, no lasting impacts I hope, although sometimes I wonder.

In terms of driving climate and maybe some socio-political concerns, maybe not entirely grounded in the first world. I thought Milwaukee was second only to Detroit for bad drivers on that trip, while notoriously complained-about Chicago wasn't as bad as expected.

ruking1 said:

Yeah, I’m totally OK with peoples’ opinions about things. After all, everybody has them.

But to the wider board, facts can indicate different things. if one really wants to know, look at the accidents/fatalities in the state’s one drives. https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

2017 posted USA 37,133 fatalities. BUT if one drove in DC., it posted 31 fatalities. https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/States/StatesCrashesAndAllVictims.aspx

Indeed, there are some areas of DC. that are absolutely safe. On the other hand, there may be areas clustered with accidents/fatalities.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,432
    Holy moly - you're right. It is an outback.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    driver100 said:

I read the new instructions for posting. What do you guys think, that I have a doctorate in quantum physics?

The one good thing is more choices for emoticons.

btw....will the edit wheel stay the same?

Heh... it's not as clunky as my instructions made some of the things look when I showed step-by-step. It really is a lot simpler, but I wanted to leave no surprises as to what you're going to see. NO changes to anything other than what happens INSIDE the comment box. Your edit wheel is safe :)

And we will be flipping the switch of this on Friday morning, not that you'd freak out, just don't want to see too many, "HEY is it me or did something change?" posts LOL

FRIDAY FRIDAY... pass it on!

And A BIG gold star for reading the instructions!!! If you check the Forums Feedback and Suggestions thread, I've already answered a few specifics!
  • Options
    Oops. It does have normal doors. Hard to see on this little screen.

But when did hertz start renting outbacks?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    stickguy said:

Oops. It does have normal doors. Hard to see on this little screen.

But when did hertz start renting outbacks?

I don’t know about Hertz but the ones we've seen in our lots are ones bought at auction. I could be wrong but I don’t think Subie sells to the rental companies.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,192
    edited June 2019
    I'm anxious to try the changes out.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

I'm anxious to try. The changes out.

Do or do not. There is no try. ;)

• Options
    oh yeah, I forgot you were enterprise.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,192
    Subaru has made an industry of using dogs in their commercials.

Now Range Rover has a commercial with a great song for background and
    a dog's dream...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_-bj6Z9wE

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    sda said:

Actually a Subaru Outback. Look at the rocker panel on the driver’s door. The roofline on the passenger side does look like a Pacifica.

In some ways it looks like two different cars that are the same color. They have some things in common, but how can you smash the front and the back, one side more than the other, but the mirrors on both sides are destroyed. Rear wasn't hit dead on because one side picture shows it more destroyed than the other....similar with the front.

Was it in a tornado?

• Options

Subaru has made an industry of using dogs in their commercials.

Now Range Rover has a commercial with a great song for background and
    a dog's dream...

Oh oh, the battle of the car with dog commercials.
    I still like the Suburus running around in the field.

• Options
    What ever happened I hope no one was in the vehicle. I don’t think anything good would result.

• Options
    I love the Subaru ads. But obviously I am a yellow lab fan!

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,188
    One of those older ones cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PKc_hCkTqc

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    That was a cute one Dino.
    I assume everyone has watched dogs dinner party vids;
    https://youtu.be/vhg7Xm4FXAY

• Options
    edited June 2019
    driver100 said:

sda said:

In some ways it looks like two different cars that are the same color. They have some things in common, but how can you smash the front and the back, one side more than the other, but the mirrors on both sides are destroyed. Rear wasn't hit dead on because one side picture shows it more destroyed than the other....similar with the front.

Was it in a tornado?
    I asked my buddy for you and he says the rumor is that it was rolled three times. Ouch!

I should mention that when I first joined the company I had to go to an office out in the country. As I drove down the long driveway I could see it was lined on both sides by the most horrendous wrecks you could imagine. Dozens of them. They’ve since closed that office so I don’t know where they store the crashed cars now. However, our lot right next to Hertz has some pretty banged up and abused cars. Busted windshields, tires where there was no tread only sidewalls left, dents etc.

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    Went up to Newport for daughter's home inspection. This house is much nicer. Structurally much sounder. Though still older (1938?) and 2 issues which are of concern. A BIG crack that runs along basement floor to outside wall, and knob and tube wiring that is still in service in parts of the house.
    The home inspector acted like both of these things were no big deal. Said both are common issues for the area.

Knob and tube wiring is an older system of wiring a home. Two separate wires running parallel to each other, no ground wire. When home was rewired decades ago some parts were left intact as the knob and tube were too difficult to get to. Home inspector says, it's been in the house for 80 years, should be fine, but recommends an electrician look at it. SO, anyone.familiar with knob and tube wiring? Any installers? LOL. ;-) Some say don't worry about it, some say replace, some say have it inspected.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options

Fireman friend of mine shared this. No idea where. Wonder if they saw it in a movie 🤨

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,468
    @jipster,
    One of my kids has a house built in the 20's and still has a lot of knob and tube wiring.
    They said everyone in the neighborhood is insured by the same company.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251

@jipster,
    One of my kids has a house built in the 20's and still has a lot of knob and tube wiring.
    They said everyone in the neighborhood is insured by the same company.

All insured by the same company because other insurance companies wont? I think I read that was the case with some companies. Most homes in this area are.much older.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima