Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    True of any product, you can spend a lot or a little. Only you can decide what is of value to you. Why waste your money on an M5 when a Corolla will also take you to your destination?

Cars and watches, I like 'em.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    It's all about priorities. If you spend less than you make, indulge away in such hobbies, these are the good old days. I have two fancy watches and don't plan for more, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    This is a long but damning investigative report by the Detroit Free Press on the many issues with the Ford Powershift transmissions found in the Fiesta and Focus.

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money/cars/ford/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

Former top execs Raj Nair and Mark Fields are linked to how the thing got into production with so many unresolved problems, but it seems there is plenty of blame to go around, starting with the manufacturer, Getrag, and then many layers of management at Ford.

I find it curious that while the issues with the transmission are well-known, there has been very little mainstream publicity in the media about it. I imagine it would be different if it was another manufacturer.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    did they finally in later model years switch to a different type of transmission? The 2019 Fiesta I rented in June shifted perfectly fine.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    Garmin just came out with a new line of watches called Marq. Smart watches that look more like Rolex or Omega. $1500-$2400. I'd post a pic if I knew how. One is called "The Driver", made for people who like to track their cars, etc.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I haven't worn a watch for almost two decades. My Timex ran down.

I keep seeing Evine sales channel on cable pimping all these watches from Invicta. They have all kinds of decor on them making them look like a 1958 Buick or Oldsmobile upline model! It sounds like there are many buyers who buy all the various similar models as collectibles?

I could like The Driver watch. Clean.

https://evine.com/b/watches/invicta/

This is an extreme example--not my taste in watches.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    How do you guys post the pictures now? I used to be able to simply cut and paste, now it asks about URL?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited July 2019
    Had an Invicta watch a few years ago. It was a nice looking watch but died after 6 mos. The manufacturer wanted $69 + an exorbitant fee for shipping to fix it. With no confidence that it would last another 6 mos., it was almost like buying it a second time. I was so mad, I sent it back to them and told them to keep it.

The Invicta watch pictured above has a real evil face, something that would appeal to Chucky.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dino001 said:

How do you guys post the pictures now? I used to be able to simply cut and paste, now it asks about URL?

I have to go find the picture I want on the internet. Right clicking on many will yield a flyout menu offering the option among others to "copy image address." I choose that so the address is stored in my clipboard.

I then go to the post graphic icon here in the posting box on Edmunds and click on "Image URL." I right click in that and choose the past option. I then hit the "enter" key once, and the URL is read into where I had the typing icon within the post box.

Most graphics online will past in as a jpg. A few are shown on the internet using something different and won't properly paste into the URL slot. If it's one that doesn't get read like a jpg, I sometimes can find another or clicking on the one I have will take me to a related page where there is a jpg version.

Trial and errors.

I wish my flydown menu was working in the post. I have several picts to post from my computer too.

I signed up for imgbb and they botched the signup so far. I am signing up with imageshack.com.
    I have to send my pict from my computer there. Then retrieve the url of my picture stored out there and post it in the posts here.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Additional boring info:

When the local posting abilities were working, the images on the net that were not jpg could be downloaded sometimes to my computer with a right click. Then they were on my computer as jpg, and I could load them into my posts from my computer.

We'll get that ability back soon, I hope. I miss it. B)

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Can’t you just screenshot the photo, and then crop it to show just the photo, and then upload it? That’s what I do if I’m getting a pic off the Internet.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:

Can’t you just screenshot the photo, and then crop it to show just the photo, and then upload it? That’s what I do if I’m getting a pic off the Internet.

But why? That's more work than just right-clicking the photo and saving it.

• Options
    Isn't uploading gone? I don't have the option anymore.
  • Options
    that was different here than on other sites I frequent. Often they only support hosted pictures, not copy/paste. I think it must be related to storage space. Posting a link, they just launch the picture from wherever it lives. If you drop it in from your computer, then Edmunds has to store the image. get enough of those, and I imagine it can add up to a lot of server capacity.

• Options
    suydam said:

I don't think I have the option to upload it from my computer after doing the prt scn on my computer. I have to put it into paint or another local program to crop or modify. Then I'm back in the problem of only picts from a remote URL can be uploaded within this posting box.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Nice, and distinctive looking. They used the "Driver" model with my permission for a small fee.....$35.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,568
    You could be right but without the striped shirt, I myself, wouldn't know that for sure. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Nice, and distinctive looking. They used the "Driver" model with my permission for a small fee.....$35.
    They screwed you. You should have demanded a $50 Timex.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    driver100 said:

Canadian or US dollars?

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    ab348 said:

suydam said:

But why? That's more work than just right-clicking the photo and saving it.
    Takes about 5 seconds. I thought the poster was having trouble saving the photo on the screen. This is an alternative work-around.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330

I keep seeing Evine sales channel on cable pimping all these watches from Invicta. They have all kinds of decor on them making them look like a 1958 Buick or Oldsmobile upline model! It sounds like there are many buyers who buy all the various similar models as collectibles?

OMG I would hate to get that "I'm going to kill you and enjoy every moment of it" look everytime I wanted to know what time it is. I mean that's the watch you would wear if you like asking strangers what time it is.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

Most Invicta watches look OK, but like imid says a little over done....that one looks like pure evil.

They do a line of DC and Marvel Comics character watches too....and I believe the evil one is supposed to be The Joker.
    I may get this one to go with my 2019 Halloween Costume:

• Options

OMG I would hate to get that "I'm going to kill you and enjoy every moment of it" look everytime I wanted to know what time it is. I mean that's the watch you would wear if you like asking strangers what time it is.
    And I thought some of the lexus toyota grills had a bad appearance. LOL

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ab348 said:

This is a long but damning investigative report by the Detroit Free Press on the many issues with the Ford Powershift transmissions found in the Fiesta and Focus.

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money/cars/ford/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

Former top execs Raj Nair and Mark Fields are linked to how the thing got into production with so many unresolved problems, but it seems there is plenty of blame to go around, starting with the manufacturer, Getrag, and then many layers of management at Ford.

I find it curious that while the issues with the transmission are well-known, there has been very little mainstream publicity in the media about it. I imagine it would be different if it was another manufacturer.

A Big 3 company having bad transmissions just isn't "news worthy" to me. Perhaps my perceptions are more negative than some. I just assume transmissions from the Big 3 are bad. Keeps me out of trouble.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited July 2019
    Thx for posting those pics imid. Since they are smart watches you can show different displays. It comes pre loaded with 250 famous race tracks from around the world and can show lap splits, live delta time, track times, and lots of other stuff. Kinda cool.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    edited July 2019
    I just assume transmissions from the Big 3 are bad

Chrysler and Ford, yes ... but I don't think GM has been known for bad transmissions.

And in reality, the Ford C6, AOD and 4R70W were all very robust and the old Chrysler torque flights as well.

GM's 700R4 for years was known as the best 4 speed auto, period.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    GM has had some duds. The THM 200 comes to mind as well as the Slim-Jim Hydramatic from the early 60s.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Yes, I've bought a couple of Invictas from Evine, fka ShopNBC and something in between. I used(?) to be addicted to that watch show, couldn't wait to see what's next. But, Invicta has gone overall too big with their watches, as well as a lot of over the top styling. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I jokingly call Invicta (as well as Stuhrling and a few others) the "Made for TV" brands as that is where they seem to be mostly sold, on Evine. But, my two Invictas have been fine for what they are, cheap transportation. One is a nice 40mm automatic divers watch, Japanese automatic movement, which I wear on vacation and in the water. My Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean is also a divers watch, but much flashier with the orange bezel. A true quality timepiece, Omega imho.

MA has announced tax free weekend Aug 11-12, items below $2500. Perhaps time to see what I can do that weekend, pre-owned Tudor, maybe a new automatic Shinola. Perhaps Omega Speedmaster, much like cars, so much to choose, so little I can afford!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    It seems there are more watches and models of watches than there are people on the earth. I like watches, but, since I can only wear one at a time I find my everyday one and one for sports (a Timex because it takes a licking and keeps on ticking....well going since they have batteries these days) is enough. Guess I could wear one on each arm and get 4 of them :p

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    @ab348 GM has had some duds. The THM 200 comes to mind as well as the Slim-Jim Hydramatic from the early 60s.
    That was my experience; slim jim on 63 Olds 88, 200 on a 79 Monte Carlo with a 305 4bbl V8. Both were bad experiences.
  • Options
    I'm thinking the Fiesta tranny didn't get lots of press coverage because it wasn't that popular of a vehicle. I did see some stuff in the media on the Focus though.
  • Options
    berri said:

@ab348 GM has had some duds. The THM 200 comes to mind as well as the Slim-Jim Hydramatic from the early 60s.
    That was my experience; slim jim on 63 Olds 88, 200 on a 79 Monte Carlo with a 305 4bbl V8. Both were bad experiences.

But that is totally different and nothing like what is being talked about here though. Those could be fixed. These are bad and always stay that way because they cannot fix them apparently.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/581875/swatch-watch-history

Speaking of watches... remember these?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Fair statement ab! Although those fixes weren't cheap.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    My Mom had a 2010 Fiesta. Top of the line, cute as anything, got great mileage, but the transmission.
    It was not a good driving experience.
    Overall, for her, it worked out. She bought it when she was 80 and she didn't drive it much, a good thing for everyone.
    Her previous car, an 03 Malibu, had damage on every panel, even the roof.
    Not a bad car, but it was just too big for her at that point.
    At 5 years old, I took the 8K for the Fiesta from CarMax and ran.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    driver100 said:

It seems there are more watches and models of watches than there are people on the earth. I like watches, but, since I can only wear one at a time I find my everyday one and one for sports (a Timex because it takes a licking and keeps on ticking....well going since they have batteries these days) is enough. Guess I could wear one on each arm and get 4 of them :p

WOW, "wear one on each arm and get 4 of them". Can you send a pic of yourself again? Don't worry about the striped shirt, we're only interested in counting your appendages. :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Ya only got one butt, but 3 cars!

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    andres3 said:

sda said:

I also posted in Real Car Values. Carvana offered $10716 for the Accord, CarMax $8500.

Seems low, is it high milage?
    $2,216 higher than a competitor seems low? :open_mouth: ???
    No, I meant that the overall offers seem low for a Honda as they retain their value extremely well. If I could get a 2013 Accord with under 80k miles for $10k I’d be very tempted.

Maybe I’m out of touch on valuations.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

True of any product, you can spend a lot or a little. Only you can decide what is of value to you. Why waste your money on an M5 when a Corolla will also take you to your destination?

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. If a Corolla offered similar performance to an M5 for 1/4 the cost people would never buy an M5. A Timex tells the same time as a Rolex for a lot less.

I get your point though, it’s your money to do with as you wish.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Few of the Invicta watches I see when surfing the 3 shopping channels I get are ones I would even wear for their attention getting ability.

Full disclosure: my son got me a wooden watch as his wedding party gift.

• Options
    Farmer, that was just Carmax buy price. If you wanted to buy it retail from them, don't worry, it would be well over $10k!

just a quick google, based on asking prices (1st amendment of course) but this was about the cheapest one.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/776136658/overview/

• Options
    stickguy said:

did they finally in later model years switch to a different type of transmission? The 2019 Fiesta I rented in June shifted perfectly fine.

I don’t know if they ever went with a new transmission or just fixed the glitchy software. I know that all but one rental Fiesta or Focus I’ve driven at work was trouble free but these were all low milage (under 45k miles). The troublesome one was a 2015 with over 50k miles.

Ford sure shot themselves in the foot with this goof. I know that even though I like the Focus I would never buy one from 2012-16.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Farmer, that was just Carmax buy price. If you wanted to buy it retail from them, don't worry, it would be well over $10k!

just a quick google, based on asking prices (1st amendment of course) but this was about the cheapest one.

Maybe I’ll shop at the store that offered him $8500. B)

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    Regarding the Focus transmission, I read they redesigned most troublesome part of it, then discontinued the car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

stickguy said:

Maybe I’ll shop at the store that offered him $8500. B)
    I'd be willing to bet that if a dealer pays $8,500 for a car, he's going to tag it for at least $11,000.

jmonroe
  • Options
    carmax, going at least $12,500

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

WOW, "wear one on each arm and get 4 of them". Can you send a pic of yourself again? Don't worry about the striped shirt, we're only interested in counting your appendages. :o

jmonroe
    I have 2 now...and wear them both on the same arm at different times (one for regular use, one for sports)
    If I wear a watch on each arm I will need 2 X 2 = 4 watches.

• Options

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. If a Corolla offered similar performance to an M5 for 1/4 the cost people would never buy an M5. A Timex tells the same time as a Rolex for a lot less.

I get your point though, it’s your money to do with as you wish.
    The Rolex may tell the same time, but, I imagine, there is a feeling you get wearing a Rolex that you won't get wearing a Timex......not that I would actually know.
    But, I do know, a Rolex would be made right, it would feel really nice on the arm, and it looks great too.....the Timex, not so much.

• Options
    I had a Swatch when I was young. They are not waterproof, that's my biggest memory.
    tjc78 said:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/581875/swatch-watch-history

Speaking of watches... remember these?