Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330

jipster said:

jipster said:

qbrozen - Would be nice if it were just a fuse. Looked in the owners manual... a lot (8) of possibilities. I'll check them out when I get the chance.

Oldfarmer- Haven't had an independent in about 8 years. I would think even Goodyear would be able to diagnose and repair an a/c problem. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Just went out and altered between the a/c.and heat, sounded as if the blend door was.moving.

Snake- Well, there is an independent that a few people in my HOA web site have mentioned. May check them out.

It’s not that they can’t diagnose a problem it’s what they charge to fix it. I went to Firestone for a flat. They told me my lower control arm bushings we shot. I looked at them and yeah they were right. Estimate was over a thousand. Took it to my indie guy and he fixed them for under $500. They get a commission to upsell you as well so there’s always a story at the end of your visit.

I have an indie guy for general mechanics, transmissions, body work and AC work. I like to think I’m carrying a whole bunch of small businesses.
    Last time I went to Firestone was for a brake job. They told me I needed new pads. rotors, tie rods replaced and a few other things costing big bucks. I took it to my regular guy and told him what Firestone say and his reply was "Yeah, no." All he said I needed was new pads and have the rotors turned. I stay away from Firestone.
    Not that much more $ for new rotors, as opposed to just having them turned.
    While I do believe that's the case now, but this was in the early 80's and things were a little different back then. Rotors were a bit more pricey back then.
    Also, way back when the rotors were worth turning, unlike the cheap ones today that warp on a hot day just sitting there.
    I have to ask oldfarmer, did you move across the street from me? My new neighbor planted corn in his front yard as part of the landscaping. Actually looks pretty good.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,567
    ab348 said:

The multitool is a great thing to have and they do not have to cost $150. I got a cheapie store brand one for $29 worthless Canadian dollars and use it far more than I ever thought I would. Most useful thing was to cut through inaccessible nails at the end of a deck board hidden under a windbreak wall when I needed to replace a bad board.

You are right about the multitool not having to cost $150. You can get them for a lot less than that but mine is a commercial grade tool. I should have mentioned that in my previous post. When I buy tools I want them to last. Just like when I buy cars.

Just curious, does your cheapy $29 tool have the quick change blade feature? They don't have to have that feature but it is damn nice to have when you want to change blades. It's a whole lot better than putzing around with having to remove a nut to remove the blade or changing the angle of the blade. I've always been a sucker for a good tool. Again, just like cars.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,932
    edited July 2019
    Good tools can sometimes really make a difference.

I've got a decent amount of tools, some being "cheapies" but for as often as I use them it's fine.

I also have a few family members that have every tool in the world and are a phone call away. Sometimes I even get lucky and when I ask to borrow the tool I get help too!

When my water died I asked to borrow a torch and supplies to sweat the line. My cousin (a union Steamfitter) said he will be right over and basically installed it for me.

Price: 12 pack and a pizza

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

jipster said:

jipster said:

qbrozen - Would be nice if it were just a fuse. Looked in the owners manual... a lot (8) of possibilities. I'll check them out when I get the chance.

Oldfarmer- Haven't had an independent in about 8 years. I would think even Goodyear would be able to diagnose and repair an a/c problem. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Just went out and altered between the a/c.and heat, sounded as if the blend door was.moving.

Snake- Well, there is an independent that a few people in my HOA web site have mentioned. May check them out.

It’s not that they can’t diagnose a problem it’s what they charge to fix it. I went to Firestone for a flat. They told me my lower control arm bushings we shot. I looked at them and yeah they were right. Estimate was over a thousand. Took it to my indie guy and he fixed them for under $500. They get a commission to upsell you as well so there’s always a story at the end of your visit.

I have an indie guy for general mechanics, transmissions, body work and AC work. I like to think I’m carrying a whole bunch of small businesses.
    Last time I went to Firestone was for a brake job. They told me I needed new pads. rotors, tie rods replaced and a few other things costing big bucks. I took it to my regular guy and told him what Firestone say and his reply was "Yeah, no." All he said I needed was new pads and have the rotors turned. I stay away from Firestone.
    While I do believe that's the case now, but this was in the early 80's and things were a little different back then. Rotors were a bit more pricey back then.
    Also, way back when the rotors were worth turning, unlike the cheap ones today that warp on a hot day just sitting there.
    I have to ask oldfarmer, did you move across the street from me? My new neighbor planted corn in his front yard as part of the landscaping. Actually looks pretty good.
    When he tears down his house and rolls in a double-wide, come back and tell us how good that looks. :D

FWIW, most residential neighborhoods don't allow vegetables to be grown in the front of houses. Some don't even allow it in side yards.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I do have a craftsman version of a Dremel. Not sure if that is the multi tool referring to. But no jamb cutting attachment for it. Pretty sure to make a little 1-2 inch notch my hand saw will work fine. If not, I’ll make my daughter use it. She goes to the gym all the time and is proud of her guns!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    This is the tool J is referring too. They really are awesome to have.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/multi-max-mm30

• Options
    stickguy said:

I do have a craftsman version of a Dremel. Not sure if that is the multi tool referring to. But no jamb cutting attachment for it. Pretty sure to make a little 1-2 inch notch my hand saw will work fine. If not, I’ll make my daughter use it. She goes to the gym all the time and is proud of her guns!

I also have the Craftsman knock-off of the Drexel tool. Never had a problem with it. That is not a multitool. Just Google "mutitool" and I'm sure it will pop up. More than likely you'll even get a YouTube for it. It's worth a look-see. You might even wet your pants and even as cheap as you are you might run right out to get one. ;)

jmonroe
  • Options
    My goodness. I need one of them. The princess has a load of wood window trim to sand too, and that looks perfect. Can help me trim some bad subfloor spots.

Looks like another trip to Lowe’s at lunch!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    tjc78 said:

This is the tool J is referring too. They really are awesome to have.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/multi-max-mm30

See, I told ya. Just make sure you get one that has the quick change blade feature. You won't be sorry you spent the extra bucks. The Dremel tool that @tjc78 linked does not have that feature. However, they tout that the wrench is somehow attached somewhere on the tool so you don't lose it. Don't go half way. Get the real deal.

I likein the quick change blade feature to the keyless chuck on drills. No need to fiddle with a chuck key.

jmonroe

EDIT: This post should have been in response to @stickguy's last post.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,678

jipster said:

jipster said:

I never had enough acreage and neither does that guy. Corn is wind pollinated and unless he plants it in large blocks his corn is likely to look like the teeth of an old hobo. Lots of gaps between kernels.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited July 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

When he tears down his house and rolls in a double-wide, come back and tell us how good that looks. :D

FWIW, most residential neighborhoods don't allow vegetables to be grown in the front of houses. Some don't even allow it in side yards.

jmonroe
    And yet you rich snobs pay us hicks 10 times the going rate for a hay bale to put on your porch for fall. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Thanks JM. looks like the next model up (MM40) has tool less quick change. That’s high enough up the food chain for me!

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    edited July 2019
    So, speaking of Teslas, was at Costco last night (PUG $2.86/gal; slice of pizza and unlimited fountain drink, $2.76). Noted 3 Tesla 3s in the parking lot (and, the Tesla showroom is about a quarter mile away from Costco). One was parked normally, one was parked perpendicularly across several spaces (did it run out of juice, or is the driver just one of those?) and one was exiting the Costco gas station (did the driver make a wrong turn into the gas station? Or just doesn't understand what he's driving?). Never a dull moment at Costco!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    dino001 said:

What is a "quadruple quad"?

BIG dip of ice cream.
  • Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited July 2019

jipster said:

jipster said:

He is probably angling for some of that farmer tariff money that the gov. is handing out.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Thanks JM. looks like the next model up (MM40) has tool less quick change. That’s high enough up the food chain for me!

You're welcome and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the purchase.

In keeping with Edmunds policy when making a purchase, you owe us, for this purchase, a four minute or four foot cutting report. I know we won't have to wait too long to get it because I sense you're just chomping at the bit to plug in your new beauty and make some dust.

jmonroe
  • Options

jmonroe1 said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

jmonroe
    And yet you rich snobs pay us hicks 10 times the going rate for a hay bale to put on your porch for fall. :p

Wrong, I've never done that. I'd rather sneak into a farmer's field at about 2AM and get one free. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    I plan to run right over and start cutting the place up.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096

So, speaking of Teslas, was at Costco last night (PUG $2.86/gal; slice of pizza and unlimited fountain drink, $2.76). Noted 3 Tesla 3s in the parking lot (and, the Tesla showroom is about a quarter mile away from Costco). One was parked normally, one was parked perpendicularly across several spaces (did it run out of juice, or is the driver just one of those?) and one was exiting the Costco gas station (did the driver make a wrong turn into the gas station? Or just doesn't understand what he's driving?). Never a dull moment at Costco!

Also speaking of Teslas, I was surprised today to get a link to the upcoming Manheim auctions across Canada and noticed that in Toronto in the next little while they are having an auction entitled "Tesla Remarketing" - I assume that is a used car action to the rest of us. I found the name a bit odd since none of the other exclusive-make auctions do that. I assume they are vehicles coming off lease, certified/remanufactured (if they do that), or otherwise in their hands as used cars.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    No more used cars or pre-owned cars....now Tesla Remarketed cars.
    No more salesmen, sales advisors ....now sales consultants.
    No more mechanics....now technicians.
    What is next, no more car dealers.......Car Boutiques?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I also have the Craftsman knock-off of the Drexel tool. Never had a problem with it. . ;)

jmonroe
    Some people love their knock offs. Are you wearing a knock off $10 Rolex too?

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I also have the Craftsman knock-off of the Drexel tool. Never had a problem with it. . ;)
    jmonroe
    There are knockoff and there are counterfeit goods. I never had a problem with a "generic" item, as long as it performed well and did not pretend to be anything else. Use them all the time. There are plenty of "branded" items with questionable value. Beats headphones, for example, especially prior Apple takeover were one (spent more money on endorsements than the actual product).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Not like Craftsman (and this was 10+ years ago I think) was cheap stuff. Just a different name brand.

anyway, ran over to Lowe's just now and picked this one up. Seems like a good value for $94. Minus the $11 I will get back returning the hand powered dovetail saw! Lots of attachments and quick release changing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Multi-Max-MM40-31-Piece-Corded-3-8-Amp-Variable-Speed-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-Kit-with-Soft-Case/1000189857

• Options
    driver100 said:

The division I work for at the big E is called the Remarketing Division.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,325
    Back from our OBX vacation.
    It was a great week other than getting there and back.
    Can't seem to post a pic, but at one point, just before we sat on the bridge for 2 hours to exit to the mainland, my readouts were 283 miles travelled and 596 miles to empty.
    Not bad for a big gas pickup truck.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Over the past 10 years it seems like roads, including Interstates have really filled up, even somewhat in off seasons.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited July 2019
    I'm in need of a rotary tool. I need to use a bit to route out 6 more slots for screws in the new kitchen backsplash for the screwless outlet covers.

I had picked up an inexpensive one at Menards that was variable speeds up to 35000. But its chuck won't hold the bit. When it's revved up the bit is loosened and starts wobbling. I returned it.

I hate to "invest" $69 for a Dremel continuous variable speed unit.

I see this one at Lowes... I don't need the mini sanders and grinders tools, etc., that come with the rotary tools. I have a cheap and simple Harbor Freight one that's weak from a decade or two ago with some tools in it. Just need the spinning part to use with the tile cutting bit by Dremel #562.

https://lowes.com/pd/wen-80-piece-variable-speed-corded-1-amp-sanding-rotary-tool-with-hard-case/1000759572?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-pla-_-129-_-sosatg-powertools-_-1000759572-_-0&kpid&k_clickID=go_1724367489_66335171463_336198645582_aud-299487635210:pla-435112942965_c_1023685&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInany0vGo4wIViYjICh1dqwkVEAQYAiABEgKySPD_BwE

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    looks nice enough. certainly cheap.

• Options

Back from our OBX vacation.
    It was a great week other than getting there and back.
    Can't seem to post a pic, but at one point, just before we sat on the bridge for 2 hours to exit to the mainland, my readouts were 283 miles travelled and 596 miles to empty.
    Not bad for a big gas pickup truck.

What was your milage? The F-150s I’ve driven are around 17mpg.

• Options
    @oldfarmer50,
    Sitting on the bridge for 2 hours with the engine and the AC running knocked the mileage down to about 23 mpg
    Average for the whole trip will be between 21.5 and 22.
    I had a bicycle hanging off the back, too.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

@oldfarmer50,
    Sitting on the bridge for 2 hours with the engine and the AC running knocked the mileage down to about 23 mpg
    Average for the whole trip will be between 21.5 and 22.
    I had a bicycle hanging off the back, too.

That’s quite good. Which engine do you have?

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

Are you kidding. Everyone knows you can't get a decent knock off $10 Rolex. However, you can get a pretty good Timex knock off for $10.

jmonroe
  • Options
    I have the 3.5 TT with a 3.55 rear gear. Rolling on stock 22's. :)
  • Options

driver100 said:

The division I work for at the big E is called the Remarketing Division.
    And what is your job classification.............Transitional Relocating Systems Manager?

• Options
    berri said:

Over the past 10 years it seems like roads, including Interstates have really filled up, even somewhat in off seasons.

They keep building new homes everywhere.....but, no new roads.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

Are you kidding. Everyone knows you can't get a decent knock off $10 Rolex. However, you can get a pretty good Timex knock off for $10.

jmonroe
    I thought you could get a real Timex for $10!
    And, who buys a knock off Timex? Is that for people who are afraid they might be robbed?

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    Population increases 50% in 50 years, roads increase 10%.
    berri said:

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    And, who buys a knock off Timex? Is that for people who are afraid they might be robbed?
    I hate to be the one to break this to you but we're in the 21st century not midway through the last century when you could get a Timex for 10 bucks. As for being afraid, people wear a Timex because they want to know what time it is and know they can rely on their watch to accurately do that, day in and day out for many years.

jmonroe
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Yeah, but you don't get the proper "feel of the wrist."
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Carmax says badly mismatched paint on bumpers meets their "standards" yet a Caliber Collision employee I ran into at the gas station said "they used the wrong paint color!"

I will not be part of the population that condones shoddy body shop workmanship by driving around in a $30K+ car exhibiting it!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I hate to be the one to break this to you but we're in the 21st century not midway through the last century when you could get a Timex for 10 bucks. As for being afraid, people wear a Timex because they want to know what time it is and know they can rely on their watch to accurately do that, day in and day out for many years.

jmonroe
    I have an expensive designer watch my wife bought for me about 15 years ago....averaged out it costs about $75 a year - never needed service.
    When playing tennis or pickleball I wear a Timex with a soft velcro band so I don't cut myself, bought it 5 years ago..........average cost $6 a year.
    The Timex is a good watch, but the designer watch is designed right, it is light, and it fits on the wrist just right - conforms to the body contours....so you can laugh, but, there actually is a "feel of the wrist".

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Feel the wrist is not enough. For $75 per year it should at least make your hand strong as steel, flexible as rubber, and turn all lights green on your path.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    driver100 said:

New genuine Timex is around 50 bucks, more if you want one with satellite time update. $10 would indeed be a knockoff.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    dino001 said:

Feel the wrist is not enough. For $75 per year it should at least make your hand strong as steel, flexible as rubber, and turn all light green on your path.

The only thing turning “green” is the skin on his wrist where the watch is! 🤪😜😁

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2019
    I sold my Rolex watch about 3 months ago for $4500 to the jewelry store where I bought it 10 years ago. I originally paid $8000 for it. I just decided that in my later years, I just never wore it.

So, I now use my Rado “Jubilee” wrist watch when going out. I bought that in California when I lived out there 23 years ago. I took it to a jeweler to have the battery changed and he steam-cleaned it. He (jeweler) said the watch is worth more today than I paid for it. I paid $2200 and the jeweler appraised it for $4000. Probably due to inflation and the fact that the price of gold has gone up substantially. It also has four small diamonds at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions. That was interesting

For everyday use, I wear a 25 year old Seiko - just change the battery every 12-18 months. Best watch I ever had.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited July 2019
    This wristwatch discussion reminds me years back, when GW Bush met Putin. Somebody made a quick note on the watches they wore. Mind "W" was independently wealthy at that point and Putin was a government employee his entire life. "W" was wearing $50 Timex, Putin was wearing $100,000+ (or about) Patek Phillipe (Rolex is to Patek what Seiko is to Rolex, or what Timex is to Seiko, give or take). Russian government must have been paying really well... :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Since I started wearing a Fitbit 3 years ago, I haven’t worn one of my watches once. Most likely all the batteries are dead. I have one I like. And Lara thin, and super good fitting leather band.

• Options

jipster said:

jipster said:

I never had enough acreage and neither does that guy. Corn is wind pollinated and unless he plants it in large blocks his corn is likely to look like the teeth of an old hobo. Lots of gaps between kernels.
    There are plenty of websites and others that discuss growing corn in small plots. They dont seem to mention that.

• Options
    I used to really love watches.

I have a Movado, a Tissot, a few Citizens and various others. All have been fine. For the last few years I've been wearing an Apple Watch.

You can buy an endless amount of bands for them on Amazon/Ebay and they switch out in seconds.

Many people have abandoned watches due to always having a cell phone with them.

• Options
    driver100 said:

How about car vending machines?

I'm not joking....

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/20180605005538/en/661499/5/DC_CarVendingMachine.jpg