Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    edited July 2019
    Traditional watches seem to be more and more of a watch cultist thing now. With phones and smart watches being the norm, along with less disposable income for many, fancier models probably won't be as popular in the future, at least here. Two other factors also come in - as mentioned, they depreciate if you buy new, and if you have a Rolex, it is kind of like a Cobra or Porsche Speedster - everyone will think it is fake anyway. Not saying that should matter, but just like with cars, badges sell.

I have a couple fancy watches I bought years ago on the secondary/used market (IWC and Tudor). One I wear almost daily, the other a lot less frequently. I could get virtually all my money back if I decided to sell them now (I'd take a bath had I bought them new), and every now and then I think about parting with one anyway. Maybe a rainy day item. I once wore daily an early 70s Timex Dynabeat (pre-quartz, electro-mechanical) that I bought at a yard sale for a quarter because I thought it looked cool. I got more than a decade out of it, then it finally conked out. Not bad.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I do have a craftsman version of a Dremel. Not sure if that is the multi tool referring to. But no jamb cutting attachment for it. Pretty sure to make a little 1-2 inch notch my hand saw will work fine. If not, I’ll make my daughter use it. She goes to the gym all the time and is proud of her guns!

I also have the Craftsman knock-off of the Drexel tool. Never had a problem with it. . ;)

jmonroe
    Some people love their knock offs. Are you wearing a knock off $10 Rolex too?

Are you kidding. Everyone knows you can't get a decent knock off $10 Rolex. However, you can get a pretty good Timex knock off for $10.

jmonroe
    I thought you could get a real Timex for $10!
    And, who buys a knock off Timex? Is that for people who are afraid they might be robbed?
    You know you have a timex knock off when the box it comes in has a picture of a kid in a sailor suit on it and the packaging material is carmelized popcorn and peanuts.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I do have a craftsman version of a Dremel. Not sure if that is the multi tool referring to. But no jamb cutting attachment for it. Pretty sure to make a little 1-2 inch notch my hand saw will work fine. If not, I’ll make my daughter use it. She goes to the gym all the time and is proud of her guns!

I also have the Craftsman knock-off of the Drexel tool. Never had a problem with it. . ;)

jmonroe

Are you kidding. Everyone knows you can't get a decent knock off $10 Rolex. However, you can get a pretty good Timex knock off for $10.

jmonroe
    And, who buys a knock off Timex? Is that for people who are afraid they might be robbed?
    I hate to be the one to break this to you but we're in the 21st century not midway through the last century when you could get a Timex for 10 bucks. As for being afraid, people wear a Timex because they want to know what time it is and know they can rely on their watch to accurately do that, day in and day out for many years.

jmonroe
    Per Timexs website there watches run between $45 and $495 although retailers may charge lower. But since Rolex watches are mechanical and mechanical watches have to be balanced for the position they are in Timex watches will beat Rolex in accuracy.

• Options
    fintail said:

Traditional watches seem to be more and more of a watch cultist thing now. With phones and smart watches being the norm, along with less disposable income for many, fancier models probably won't be as popular in the future, at least here. Two other factors also come in - as mentioned, they depreciate if you buy new, and if you have a Rolex, it is kind of like a Cobra or Porsche Speedster - everyone will think it is fake anyway. Not saying that should matter, but just like with cars, badges sell.

I have a couple fancy watches I bought years ago on the secondary/used market (IWC and Tudor). One I wear almost daily, the other a lot less frequently. I could get virtually all my money back if I decided to sell them now (I'd take a bath had I bought them new), and every now and then I think about parting with one anyway. Maybe a rainy day item. I once wore daily an early 70s Timex Dynabeat (pre-quartz, electro-mechanical) that I bought at a yard sale for a quarter because I thought it looked cool. I got more than a decade out of it, then it finally conked out. Not bad.

I prefer pocket watches myself. I have a 150÷ year old key wound and set pocket watch and a 100+/- year old Railroad watch from the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Along with a few modern pocket watches.

Interesting thing is is that the older key wound pocket watch has the minute and hour hands the same size and shape. The difference is that the minute hand is silver and the hour hand is gold.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

No more used cars or pre-owned cars....now Tesla Remarketed cars.
    No more salesmen, sales advisors ....now sales consultants.
    No more mechanics....now technicians.
    What is next, no more car dealers.......Car Boutiques?

The division I work for at the big E is called the Remarketing Division.
    And what is your job classification.............Transitional Relocating Systems Manager?
    I think our title is “cranky old guys” (oops, emotorcons are out again)

Speaking of old, who remembers this?

https://youtu.be/enqNl7tdLR4

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I hate to be the one to break this to you but we're in the 21st century not midway through the last century when you could get a Timex for 10 bucks. As for being afraid, people wear a Timex because they want to know what time it is and know they can rely on their watch to accurately do that, day in and day out for many years.

jmonroe
    I have an expensive designer watch my wife bought for me about 15 years ago....averaged out it costs about $75 a year - never needed service.
    When playing tennis or pickleball I wear a Timex with a soft velcro band so I don't cut myself, bought it 5 years ago..........average cost $6 a year.
    The Timex is a good watch, but the designer watch is designed right, it is light, and it fits on the wrist just right - conforms to the body contours....so you can laugh, but, there actually is a "feel of the wrist".
    Does it match the gold chains you wear around your neck? You wouldn’t want to make a faux pas at your high society clubs. :'(

Yea! Emotorcons are back.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Funny thing, when I was a kid, I had a pocket watch - nothing precious or antique, just something I saw in a catalog and had to have. Maybe unusual for a 7 or 8 year old to want. I saw a repeating pocket watch when I was younger, and it pushed my buttons - out of my league though, if I had something like that now, it would just sit in a drawer.

My mom has some heirloom watches passed down over the years, one is a large railroad style model, but even though it is cool, I don't know what I'd do with it. But at least they will always have some value due to the cases.

I prefer pocket watches myself. I have a 150÷ year old key wound and set pocket watch and a 100+/- year old Railroad watch from the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Along with a few modern pocket watches.

Interesting thing is is that the older key wound pocket watch has the minute and hour hands the same size and shape. The difference is that the minute hand is silver and the hour hand is gold.

• Options

jipster said:

jipster said:

qbrozen - Would be nice if it were just a fuse. Looked in the owners manual... a lot (8) of possibilities. I'll check them out when I get the chance.

Oldfarmer- Haven't had an independent in about 8 years. I would think even Goodyear would be able to diagnose and repair an a/c problem. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Just went out and altered between the a/c.and heat, sounded as if the blend door was.moving.

Snake- Well, there is an independent that a few people in my HOA web site have mentioned. May check them out.

It’s not that they can’t diagnose a problem it’s what they charge to fix it. I went to Firestone for a flat. They told me my lower control arm bushings we shot. I looked at them and yeah they were right. Estimate was over a thousand. Took it to my indie guy and he fixed them for under $500. They get a commission to upsell you as well so there’s always a story at the end of your visit.

I have an indie guy for general mechanics, transmissions, body work and AC work. I like to think I’m carrying a whole bunch of small businesses.
    Last time I went to Firestone was for a brake job. They told me I needed new pads. rotors, tie rods replaced and a few other things costing big bucks. I took it to my regular guy and told him what Firestone say and his reply was "Yeah, no." All he said I needed was new pads and have the rotors turned. I stay away from Firestone.
    Not that much more $ for new rotors, as opposed to just having them turned.
    While I do believe that's the case now, but this was in the early 80's and things were a little different back then. Rotors were a bit more pricey back then.
    Also, way back when the rotors were worth turning, unlike the cheap ones today that warp on a hot day just sitting there.
    I have to ask oldfarmer, did you move across the street from me? My new neighbor planted corn in his front yard as part of the landscaping. Actually looks pretty good.
    I never had enough acreage and neither does that guy. Corn is wind pollinated and unless he plants it in large blocks his corn is likely to look like the teeth of an old hobo. Lots of gaps between kernels.
    There are plenty of websites and others that discuss growing corn in small plots. They dont seem to mention that.
    Yeah, there are websites that talk about growing vegetables in your own poop too. I wouldn’t put much stock in either.

Just about anything is possible if you put enough time and effort into it. You could grow an oak tree in a thimble if you wanted to devote your life to it. I suppose if someone wanted to hand pollinate each ear you could do it with as little as two stalks but why would you when corn is 3 fora dollar?

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,568

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I have an expensive designer watch my wife bought for me about 15 years ago....averaged out it costs about $75 a year - never needed service.
    When playing tennis or pickleball I wear a Timex with a soft velcro band so I don't cut myself, bought it 5 years ago..........average cost $6 a year.
    The Timex is a good watch, but the designer watch is designed right, it is light, and it fits on the wrist just right - conforms to the body contours....so you can laugh, but, there actually is a "feel of the wrist".
    Does it match the gold chains you wear around your neck? You wouldn’t want to make a faux pas at your high society clubs. :'(

I don't know about his fancy watch but when he posted that pic of himself a while back, he took the gold chains off because they clashed with the stripes on his shirt. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    I have one "nice" watch that I wear periodically - a Tag Heuer given to me by my parents on my wedding day. I don't wear it often because it tends to get in the way when I'm typing. I have an Apple Watch and a FitBit that I have since put in a drawer - just too much technology for me and I don't need them to hold me accountable to stay in shape.

My Dad had several heirloom watches from my great grandfather, but unfortunately they were taken when my parents house was robbed 5-6 years ago. Never recovered.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    I have a couple of Tag Heyerdahl watches my wife gave me. Those are the only watches I wear.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I just use my phone. No idea where any of my old watches are.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    When I sold my car to carvana I dropped it off at the vending machine, and saw someone getting a delivery. They literally give you a giant coin to drop in a slot, then all the machinery starts going and (fully automated) your new car gets brought down to a delivery bay. Very hokey, but fun to watch, and buyers get a kick out of it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    I think I have worn my watch twice since I retired. The first time was going to a place to get a battery changed, and then to a meeting the next day. Do not miss it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

When I sold my car to carvana I dropped it off at the vending machine, and saw someone getting a delivery. They literally give you a giant coin to drop in a slot, then all the machinery starts going and (fully automated) your new car gets brought down to a delivery bay. Very hokey, but fun to watch, and buyers get a kick out of it.

When I sold Mrs. j's old Subie, Carvana came to the house and flat bedded it away. The guy that picked it up said people like to watch the vending machine work and there always seems to be a few folks there, whether or not the machine is actually in use. He said if there is a large crowd there and they have time, they'll fire it up just to let them see how it works.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

When I sold Mrs. j's old Subie, Carvana came to the house and flat bedded it away. The guy that picked it up said people like to watch the vending machine work and there always seems to be a few folks there, whether or not the machine is actually in use. He said if there is a large crowd there and they have time, they'll fire it up just to let them see how it works.

jmonroe
    I forget why you went with Carvana rather than a dealer trade in or Carmax. Did they offer the best price?

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    The meteorologists here in South Florida are forecasting heavy rains tonight and tomorrow morning as a result of the outer bands of that disturbance in the northeast Gulf of Mexico. I don't know if we will get any winds, but surface flooding is forecast as well.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    I forget why you went with Carvana rather than a dealer trade in or Carmax. Did they offer the best price?
    There is no Carmax near me so I could not go there. The reason I went with Carvana is because the dealer only wanted to give me $10,500 for her almost perfect car other than it had a whacked passenger side mirror. I told the dealer that even with the whacked mirror it had to be worth more than $10,500 and therefore I wanted $11,200. I would have settled for 11 grand even but he dug in at his $10,500 offer. I decided to have the mirror replaced by my nephew who works at a dealership body shop. It cost me less than $220 which I figured would have been the cost for the dealer to replace it too but he said it would be a lot more than that. So, I decided to try Carvana and I'm glad I did. Carvana gave me $12,751 for it which I still can't believe. FWIW, a few weeks later Carvana had it on their web site and it sold almost instantly for $16,000 even. I even posted their web page here about that.

You'll never guess who I'll probably sell my '15 Genny to when the time comes.

jmonroe
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    I enjoy watches, I actually feel naked when not wearing one. My daily drivers include an Omega, Tag Heuer, IWC and, my latest, a Shinola I bought in Aruba. If you don't know Shinola, google it, really interesting story. And, a very nicely made watch. Mine is a quartz chronometer on a dark tan leather strap, handsome. They've recently come out with automatic watches, too.

For HS graduation, my parents gave me an automatic Seiko chronograph, I wore that probably 350 days/yr for 16 years. Still have it, still works, if a little beat up.

I was given an Apple watch, only use that for running to track distance and listen to music. Have a couple of (made for TV brand!) Invictas for kicking around.

I'm in the mood to add to the collection, been looking at Tudors and IWCs, I also like the IWC story, link to New England.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe

I don't know about his fancy watch but when he posted that pic of himself a while back, he took the gold chains off because they clashed with the stripes on his shirt. :o

jmonroe
    This might be my next watch:

btw, for the record,,,,,,,....I don't own any gold chains......

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    I hear the oil changes required on those Mercedes watches are very pricey. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    This is my daily:

I bought it on ebay very lightly used for about half of original MSRP, due to a promotion. I like blue, I like complicated/chrono watches, and this style mimics a vintage Tudor worth a healthy 5 figures. I'm pleased with it.

The IWC is like this (not my pic, I have no pic of it online, can't upload):

I bought this about 10 years ago, also lightly used at a fraction of original price, for the dial design and AMG tie-in. The numeral font is still used on MB/AMG cars.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    There is no Carmax near me so I could not go there. The reason I went with Carvana is because the dealer only wanted to give me $10,500 for her almost perfect car other than it had a whacked passenger side mirror. I told the dealer that even with the whacked mirror it had to be worth more than $10,500 and therefore I wanted $11,200. I would have settled for 11 grand even but he dug in at his $10,500 offer. I decided to have the mirror replaced by my nephew who works at a dealership body shop. It cost me less than $220 which I figured would have been the cost for the dealer to replace it too but he said it would be a lot more than that. So, I decided to try Carvana and I'm glad I did. Carvana gave me $12,751 for it which I still can't believe. FWIW, a few weeks later Carvana had it on their web site and it sold almost instantly for $16,000 even. I even posted their web page here about that.

jmonroe
    I think it was Carvana that I got a general quote from for my Mustang and I was astounded at what they said they’d give me for it. The only down side was that they were too far away to come pick it up.

• Options

I enjoy watches, I actually feel naked when not wearing one. My daily drivers include an Omega, Tag Heuer, IWC and, my latest, a Shinola I bought in Aruba. If you don't know Shinola, google it, really interesting story. And, a very nicely made watch. Mine is a quartz chronometer on a dark tan leather strap, handsome. They've recently come out with automatic watches, too.

For HS graduation, my parents gave me an automatic Seiko chronograph, I wore that probably 350 days/yr for 16 years. Still have it, still works, if a little beat up.

I was given an Apple watch, only use that for running to track distance and listen to music. Have a couple of (made for TV brand!) Invictas for kicking around.

I'm in the mood to add to the collection, been looking at Tudors and IWCs, I also like the IWC story, link to New England.

The only thing I know about Shinola is that I don't know you know what about it. :o But if it's comfortable for you, wear it. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Fin, the IWC Ingenieur is on my list, perhaps a Tudor Grantour, but I've been eyeing Black Bay Heritage...

JM, Then you know more than most!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Sorry about the giant Shinola!

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited July 2019
    driver100 said:

Does it come with free watch washes?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

No, that was good. Now I know something about Shinola. B)

jmonroe
  • Options

driver100 said:

Both of those look like knock-off's to me. The only difference is one is an import and the other is a domestic. :o

jmonroe

• Options

driver100 said:

That would be the only kind of status watch that might interest me.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    edited July 2019
    I have had a few watches, mostly cheap ones: Timex, Casio. I prefer quartz dual analog/digital face. You get accuracy and some extra features that were useful before smartphone era. A few years ago I bought a little nicer Citizen Navihawk, or whatever it was called. After my father's passing my mother made me take his analog Titanium case and bracelet Tissot (also quartz). I wear that to work now and put the Citizen on during Fridays and weekends. I've been sniffing around Breitling Professional Aerospace or Omega Skywalker X-33 (both dual face titanium), but just can't make myself spend five grand or more on an unessential piece of wear, no matter how nice. Just not my thing.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    edited July 2019
    Did posting pictures revert to the old "insert URL"? :open_mouth: I always had trouble with that one.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

Wasn't Shinola a shoe polish?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    deleted post as I couldn't get the image to appear. will try later when I'm not on my phone.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559

Good taste, both my wife and myself have watches from them. My daily is a Citizens though.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217

Yes indeed it was, which gave rise to the well known expression that I can’t post. The expression was most applicable to brown Shinola polish. :D
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

No, that was good. Now I know something about Shinola. B)

jmonroe
    Admit it....you don't know Shinola about Shinola.

• Options
    Here is a nice wannabe watch for JMonroe;

It has nice Roman Numerals for the older watch wearer.
    And, it has a kind of, I wish I was a real Rolex look.

• Options
    Fintail....I like the Tudor a lot....and the IWC though I really like to have a calendar. But, neither of my watches has the day of the week, and retired people need that because every day seems the same when you're retired.

• Options

Aye, a high quality polish. The name was bought by the originators of the current Shinola brand. They produce a variety of products, but the watch story is why I bought, made in Detroit, hired local labor (ex auto workers) and trained them to be watchmakers. They do use components from around the world, but all are assembled in Detroit.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Me? I know I will want you to wax it before I take delivery, but know it will be in great shape.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I just returned from picking up my daughter at her cousin’s house near Atlanta. I left this morning at 7:40am and home at 5:10pm, 513 miles round trip. Traffic was thick, stop and go around Atlanta, hot. A/C on entire drive, a lot of 70-80 pace. 39.7 mpg for the trip. Good to be home.

• Options
    thebean said:

Yes indeed it was, which gave rise to the well known expression that I can’t post. The expression was most applicable to brown Shinola polish. :D
    C'mon, you can say it.

Nice knowing you Bean...bye. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    sda said:

I just returned from picking up my daughter at her cousin’s house near Atlanta. I left this morning at 7:40am and home at 5:10pm, 513 miles round trip. Traffic was thick, stop and go around Atlanta, hot. A/C on entire drive, a lot of 70-80 pace. 39.7 mpg for the trip. Good to be home.

I am amazed by the MPG modern cars can pull. For a relatively large, comfy car under those conditions 40ish is fabulous. I have gotten 36-37 on a few legs with my TLX that were somewhat mixed driving. Can't really argue with that.

definitely an advantage of a sedan too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sda said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Me? I know I will want you to wax it before I take delivery, but know it will be in great shape.
    OK, I'll put you on the list of wannabe contenders. It's a growing list but the only one I know you can out bid is @oldfarmer50. The other guys like Carvana can get pretty aggressive but with something close, a poster buddy has the edge. ;)

jmonroe
  • Options
    I also posted in Real Car Values. Carvana offered $10716 for the Accord, CarMax $8500.

• Options
    sda said:

I also posted in Real Car Values. Carvana offered $10716 for the Accord, CarMax $8500.

Seems low, is it high milage?

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    edited July 2019
    tjc78 said:

I used to really love watches.

I have a Movado, a Tissot, a few Citizens and various others. All have been fine. For the last few years I've been wearing an Apple Watch.

You can buy an endless amount of bands for them on Amazon/Ebay and they switch out in seconds.

Many people have abandoned watches due to always having a cell phone with them.

You and I have a similar story. Although I did not get my apple watch till a few months ago. I love that I don’t have to pull my phone out of my pocket to see who is calling or texting.

I have no idea why I just love looking at watches. I have a Movado (which may or may not be a fake; I thought I bought a fake but a jeweler thought otherwise, so maybe it was stolen). My Kenneth Cole is the one in the current rotation I’ve had he longest. The woman I married gave it to me for my first birthday during our first year of dating. The most recent acquisition is a self-winding Stuhrling from the kids. I bought one of those automatic winders for it so it doesn’t stop while it awaits the next fancy function. Next, I’ll likely be taking possession of the Bulova I got my dad for his 70th bday. I have a few more, mostly low end, but I still dig them. One of my faves is a Jack skellington watch. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

sda said:

Seems low, is it high milage?
    $2,216 higher than a competitor seems low? :open_mouth: ???
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Yeah, that's something missing from the IWC - it is the fancier chrono, but no date. The non-chrono version has a date (of month) function.

Of course these days, you can also get a date function on a $10 watch or $100 phone that doubles as a small computer, but where's the fun in that?
    driver100 said:

Fintail....I like the Tudor a lot....and the IWC though I really like to have a calendar. But, neither of my watches has the day of the week, and retired people need that because every day seems the same when you're retired.