Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,993
    Speaking of shortages, if you have a swimming pool there is a shortage of chlorine.
    Chlorine supplies are running low due to a fire at a chemical plant in Louisiana last August that was damaged by Hurricane Laura. As a result, prices for tabs have skyrocketed.
    "A steep price increase is likely. The extent of the chlorine shortage is still unknown," said B&B Pool and Spa Center, a Chestnut Ridge, NY-based retailer, on its web site. "While it is still early yet for the swimming season, it is advisable to prepare now for your pool opening. That includes stocking up on chemicals needed to get you through the majority, if not the entire swimming season."
    A quick look at Amazon shows that a 50-pound bucket of 3-inch chlorine tablets from the In the Swim brand now costs as much as $169.99, about double the normal cost. What's more, supplies are limited.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomike said:

stickguy said:

not buying a car without a camera unless it is an easy add-on. Sorry.

Driver100 did and he regrets that decision. I don’t know if I could ever give up my cameras, radar for anti-collision, etc. These technology tools have saved me many times from accidents.
    Once you get used to something it is hard to go without it. Mrs D says it is good for me to back up without a camera, but I miss it because I have it in the primary car. I don't have a cell phone with data, if you do you can buy a camera that will hook up to your phone...no wiring needed.
    I really don't think I would sell the C250 for $16000, I was kind of stretching it a bit....remember the dealer trade in price is about $10000....that was a year and a half ago....I have no idea what it would be worth now, could be less, but I still like the car a lot and I doubt if I could get something I would like at a decent price these days.

• Options
    sda said:

driver100 said:

@Istickguy I don't know if this helps.

https://www.motortrend.com/price/under-30000/

They have Mustangs and Camaros that start for under $30k, but go up to $50 or $60k, so I don't know what you get in the under $30k range.
    Ford Ranger is under $30k but doesn't get good marks, Chevy truck for a bit more dollars gets you a much higher rated car......but probably pretty big. The Tacoma starts under $30k
    How about a nice 2014 C250 with 34k miles on it, mint condition, no rear camera for $16k?

Any MB with over 24k is high miles. Honestly I would be tempted if we needed another car. Hoping the TL continues being a good soldier.
    I don't think 24000 is high mileage for an MB. The C250 is probably a good candidate to last, it is fairly straightforward, not too many extras - not even a rear camera. I still see lots of 2014s and that vintage around, and they still look pretty good usually.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The chip shortage in the auto industry, foreseen or foreseeable. CBS' 60 minutes examines poor short and long-term planning in auto industry. And as usual they have a convenient scapegoat, the pandemic, as the fall. Watch the video and draw your conclusions.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/video/semiconductor-microchip-shortage-taiwan-60-minutes-2021-05-02/#x
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,625
    i watched that piece on the show. Interesting. Chatted with my son about it after. He works in chip research at a Fab so knows a lot of the background.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    If I needed a car right now, not sure what I would do. I still expect to be able to defer doing anything until late in the year if not into january. If I could not find a decent private sale on something to use for a little while, would probably just get the best lease deal I could find and go from there.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,167
    Another shorgage is ink cartridges for printers. I'm having to search to find one for my printer
    in stock. The printers are also hard to get according to the store clerk.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,338
    carnaught said:

Question for you CPA's and CPA wannabes: if you sell your house and buy a lessor house, making a great profit on your previous house, how do capital gains figure into this?

You can exclude from your income $250K if you are filing single or married filing separately, $500k if you are filing jointly. To be able to do this you must have used your home as your primary residence for at least two years out of the last five years and you could not have taken the exclusion on a previous home in the two year period that you used your current home as a primary residence. If you used your home for business and have taken a deduction due to that you would need to recapture those deductions, see your tax advisor for rules on that.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    qbrozen said:

fintail said:

I don't count lumpy butch CUVs as SUVs. They are closer to raised hatches IMNSHO.

EV I like most is the Taycan.

That’s fine, but then I doubt you’ll ever see an electric SUV because body on frame adds weight, reducing range.
    Are you sure about that, I think there are some. Doesn't Kia have one?

• Options
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

As a follow up to replacing two tires on the Q5 I did confirm with Audi service that if the older tires are within 4/32 of the new and the tires match on each axle then no issue. As a safeguard I went ahead and ordered two more tires so all four will be new and match. My wallet is $1000 lighter but I believe well spent.

If the predicted tire shortage happens, you’ll be glad you did.
    For kicks I was going to say Edmunds is going to increase the cost of posting but I’m afraid that would give @driver100 an excuse to barrage us. You guys would never talk to me again. :'(

jmonroe
    ....an increase in the cost of posting....I better get to work, my goal is 40000 by the end of May.
    Not gonna happen. I've been averaging about 100 posts per day; at that rate, it would take me 4 months to go from 28K to 40K posts.

(and, no, that's not a dare)

:smile:
    Some people like to hear the sound of their own voices. Some people stand on soapboxes to exercise their vocal cords. Then, there are those who love seeing their thoughts expressed on a page of written words that they composed. Which category do you think driver100 falls into? (Sorry about ending that last sentence with a preposition - but sometimes you just gotta break a few grammatical rules). 🤪😜🤓
    I am actually very shy and quiet, but I have a duty to educate and inform my fellow Americans. :)
    I thought you were Canadian. If you meant, “…inform my fellow NORTH Americans…” I would buy into your statement more willingly. 🤪😜
    We all live in North America. Why should Canadians have to qualify it? Or, Mexicans, for that matter. They are all Americans.
    No they are not. American is a demonym for someone from the United States of America. Since Canadians and Mexicans are not from the United States they cannot be called Americans. Now if you are identifying them by continent there is no continent called America. The continent they are from is North America so the demonym would be North American. As those from South America are known as South Americans.
    I guess we can just give you the title, "Ugly American", then. :D

(and, you are wrong... )
    How am I wrong? The very common usage of "American" is to denote someone from the U.S. An American is someone from America which is the U.S. The continent is North America so someone from North America would be North American. Hence someone from Canada or one of the 20 some other North American countries would be a North American but not an American. This is understood by over 99% of the worlds population.
    You would be correct if you said you were from "The United States of America Americans". It doesn't matter what the world thinks on the topic...Canadians live in North America so we are Americans, just as we live on the Earth so we are Earthlings......no matter what the experts say. When I made my original statement I did it as literary license thinking people would know what I meant...I was being inclusive.
    Since Canadians live in North America they re North Americans, as opposed to say South Americans. America is a common name for the U.S. but not for either continent.

• Options

OK here we are waiting for the movie to start.

Looks like you’ll have a long wait. Let us know how much the ‘skeeters’ left after sitting for hours with the top down.
    Seeing that I took that picture after 7PM and sunset at this time of year is prior to 8PM I think the movie started less than an hour after I took the picture. As for skeeters, not an issue as it has been to cold recently and they wont be getting out for some time.

• Options
    driver100 said:

OK here we are waiting for the movie to start.

Looks like you’ll have a long wait. Let us know how much the ‘skeeters’ left after sitting for hours with the top down.
    I wonder what he saw?
    I haven't heard from him today....must have been a long time waiting for the movie to start, it stays light until about 9 p.m. these days.
    We are near the eastern end of the time zone so we get earlier sunsets than most places. This time of year the sun sets about 10 minutes before 8, the blue hour starts maybe 20 minutes later with civil sunset maybe 10 minutes after that.

We saw a double feature of some older movies. "Weird Science" and "Uncle Buck".

• Options
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

@stickguy What are you eyeballing these days?

That half empty lot is pretty scary.

Maybe our 2014 C250 will become valuable!

Me? everything? Well, not everything. I arbitrarily set a budget ($25k), but those were meant to be broken. But not overly expensive, we already have one of those.

off the top of my head, for new cars, I want to see a Maverick and Santa Cruz in person. the new Civic (regular or Si) interests me. The new GTI looks really good. I did like a dark blue F150 my local dealer had. I will drive one, but suspect I just won't want to deal with something that big. I will try out a new style Miata too just for the heck of it. A Turbo Mazda 3 or CX30 might work. A couple of the newer hybrids are nice. Will consider a lease on an EV if there is one of the occasional killer deals offered.

so basically, I need to figure out what my actual needs are, besides 4 wheels!
    Not much of that can be had under $25K, I should think.
    He did say a Maverick;

My dad owned Mavericks and for the price they weren't to bad. That being said I understand that Ford is coming out with a new Maverick but as a compact pick up truck.

• Options
    driver100 said:

Speaking of shortages, if you have a swimming pool there is a shortage of chlorine.
    Chlorine supplies are running low due to a fire at a chemical plant in Louisiana last August that was damaged by Hurricane Laura. As a result, prices for tabs have skyrocketed.
    "A steep price increase is likely. The extent of the chlorine shortage is still unknown," said B&B Pool and Spa Center, a Chestnut Ridge, NY-based retailer, on its web site. "While it is still early yet for the swimming season, it is advisable to prepare now for your pool opening. That includes stocking up on chemicals needed to get you through the majority, if not the entire swimming season."
    A quick look at Amazon shows that a 50-pound bucket of 3-inch chlorine tablets from the In the Swim brand now costs as much as $169.99, about double the normal cost. What's more, supplies are limited.

My daughter and son in law have a saltwater pool, no chlorine needed. The pool has to be built for salt so you cannot just take your current pool and start using salt but it has no chlorine smell and none of the chlorine side effects.

• Options
    OK on Saturday morning I got my second Covid shot, was feeling good all day Saturday but late that night the so called side effects hit me and they hit me hard. I got those side effects in spades, then the truck hit me and the someone dropped a ton of bricks on me. Seriously it was so bad I was contemplating going to the ER. And on Sunday I was pretty much out of it and today I am still not feeling 100% but I am functional, lets see how long that lasts.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Hang in there. It was rough for me to after my second shot, but after four days or so it went away.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,296

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

As a follow up to replacing two tires on the Q5 I did confirm with Audi service that if the older tires are within 4/32 of the new and the tires match on each axle then no issue. As a safeguard I went ahead and ordered two more tires so all four will be new and match. My wallet is $1000 lighter but I believe well spent.

For kicks I was going to say Edmunds is going to increase the cost of posting but I’m afraid that would give @driver100 an excuse to barrage us. You guys would never talk to me again. :'(

jmonroe
    ....an increase in the cost of posting....I better get to work, my goal is 40000 by the end of May.
    Not gonna happen. I've been averaging about 100 posts per day; at that rate, it would take me 4 months to go from 28K to 40K posts.

Some people like to hear the sound of their own voices. Some people stand on soapboxes to exercise their vocal cords. Then, there are those who love seeing their thoughts expressed on a page of written words that they composed. Which category do you think driver100 falls into? (Sorry about ending that last sentence with a preposition - but sometimes you just gotta break a few grammatical rules). 🤪😜🤓
    I am actually very shy and quiet, but I have a duty to educate and inform my fellow Americans. :)
    I thought you were Canadian. If you meant, “…inform my fellow NORTH Americans…” I would buy into your statement more willingly. 🤪😜
    We all live in North America. Why should Canadians have to qualify it? Or, Mexicans, for that matter. They are all Americans.
    No they are not. American is a demonym for someone from the United States of America. Since Canadians and Mexicans are not from the United States they cannot be called Americans. Now if you are identifying them by continent there is no continent called America. The continent they are from is North America so the demonym would be North American. As those from South America are known as South Americans.

(and, you are wrong... )
    How am I wrong? The very common usage of "American" is to denote someone from the U.S. An American is someone from America which is the U.S. The continent is North America so someone from North America would be North American. Hence someone from Canada or one of the 20 some other North American countries would be a North American but not an American. This is understood by over 99% of the worlds population.
    You would be correct if you said you were from "The United States of America Americans". It doesn't matter what the world thinks on the topic...Canadians live in North America so we are Americans, just as we live on the Earth so we are Earthlings......no matter what the experts say. When I made my original statement I did it as literary license thinking people would know what I meant...I was being inclusive.
    Since Canadians live in North America they re North Americans, as opposed to say South Americans. America is a common name for the U.S. but not for either continent.
    And yet, Canadians in this very forum have said otherwise. When I've been in Mexico, I've had multiple Mexicans tell me they are Americans (including a physician). I think you see this from a very USA citizen view.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Another shorgage is ink cartridges for printers. I'm having to search to find one for my printer

Those printer ink cartridges also have chips in them.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I like the Maverick. With the right upgrades, a cool car. Somewhat impractical for a DD though.

I got all my chlorine for the year on Saturday. Prices were definitely higher but at least now I don’t have to worry about it.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,611

OK on Saturday morning I got my second Covid shot, was feeling good all day Saturday but late that night the so called side effects hit me and they hit me hard. I got those side effects in spades, then the truck hit me and the someone dropped a ton of bricks on me. Seriously it was so bad I was contemplating going to the ER. And on Sunday I was pretty much out of it and today I am still not feeling 100% but I am functional, lets see how long that lasts.

That was quite a barrage of posts. We need a break. Would you care all that much if I could arrange a third COVID shot for you? :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

stickguy said:

not buying a car without a camera unless it is an easy add-on. Sorry.

Driver100 did and he regrets that decision. I don’t know if I could ever give up my cameras, radar for anti-collision, etc. These technology tools have saved me many times from accidents.
    Once you get used to something it is hard to go without it. Mrs D says it is good for me to back up without a camera, but I miss it because I have it in the primary car. I don't have a cell phone with data, if you do you can buy a camera that will hook up to your phone...no wiring needed.
    I really don't think I would sell the C250 for $16000, I was kind of stretching it a bit....remember the dealer trade in price is about $10000....that was a year and a half ago....I have no idea what it would be worth now, could be less, but I still like the car a lot and I doubt if I could get something I would like at a decent price these days.
    Speaking of selling your C250 for $16,000. I was wondering whether the Edmunds Lease Calculator provided in @kyfdx and @Michaell signature lines provide realistic or generic trade-in values? The reason I ask is that these values seem low considering the shortage of good used cars. It seems as though the average guy can't catch a break.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499

No problem, as of yet, for me getting ink cartridges for my Canon printer. Found good prices for them on Ebay.

• Options
    edited May 2021

To add more of what the department leader said, because of the home office use from
    people working at home, sales of ink
    and printers has been high. It sounds like they had been getting in a moderate supply, but
    the purchase rate has been high. In Walmart's case, I suspect a lot of online buying has
    lessened the supply that hits the shelves in the stores.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    carnaught said:

No problem, as of yet, for me getting ink cartridges for my Canon printer. Found good prices for them on Ebay.

I got some poorly performing ink cartridges that were refurbished along with new off brands on ebay/amazon. I quit the good price models and just went with Canon branded only. More pages. Longer life.

Not one cartridge has developed an early problem with
    skipping lines, etc..
    Nor has one run out of ink much earlier than expected due to poor refill load.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,997
    driver100 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

@Istickguy I don't know if this helps.

https://www.motortrend.com/price/under-30000/

They have Mustangs and Camaros that start for under $30k, but go up to $50 or $60k, so I don't know what you get in the under $30k range.
    Ford Ranger is under $30k but doesn't get good marks, Chevy truck for a bit more dollars gets you a much higher rated car......but probably pretty big. The Tacoma starts under $30k
    How about a nice 2014 C250 with 34k miles on it, mint condition, no rear camera for $16k?

Any MB with over 24k is high miles. Honestly I would be tempted if we needed another car. Hoping the TL continues being a good soldier.
    I don't think 24000 is high mileage for an MB. The C250 is probably a good candidate to last, it is fairly straightforward, not too many extras - not even a rear camera. I still see lots of 2014s and that vintage around, and they still look pretty good usually.
    I was being cheeky. I know it is a fine car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,970

qbrozen said:

fintail said:

I don't count lumpy butch CUVs as SUVs. They are closer to raised hatches IMNSHO.

That’s fine, but then I doubt you’ll ever see an electric SUV because body on frame adds weight, reducing range.
    Kia? A body-on-frame SUV? And an electric one at that? I'd be pretty damned surprised.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )
    And yet, Canadians in this very forum have said otherwise. When I've been in Mexico, I've had multiple Mexicans tell me they are Americans (including a physician). I think you see this from a very USA citizen view.
    True but it doesn't make them correct. Go to Europe and say your an American and all they will think of is your from the U.S. Not Canada or Mexico. If they are going to Canada they will never say their going to America, they will say Canada.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

That was quite a barrage of posts. We need a break. Would you care all that much if I could arrange a third COVID shot for you? :s

jmonroe
    It was a barrage of posts because I was catching up on a few days of posts that I couldn't get to. If I replied to them on a more regular basis it would have been 4 maybe 5 per day.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )
    Yeh, it's all about him....he thinks he is the only one that can claim to be an American! :)
    There are North Americans, Central Americans and South Americans....it started because I lumped North Americans together to simplify my point.

If he wants to get picky:
    @ snakeweasel said Seeing that I took that picture after 7PM and sunset at this time of year is prior to 8PM I think the movie started less than an hour after I took the picture. As for skeeters, not an issue as it has been to cold recently and they wont be getting out for some time.

"to" should be spelled "too". :)
    But we shouldn't get hung up on spelling or grammar.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

fintail said:

Kia? A body-on-frame SUV? And an electric one at that? I'd be pretty damned surprised.
    It's the Niro -EV. I think there is a Hyundai cousin of it. I do believe that GM is coming out with a Hummer EV. There are likely others, what is Tesla's Model X classified as? Audi has one or is coming out with one.

• Options

Hope you are feeling better. That seems fairly common....a rough day or two or three especially after the 2nd shot.
    Which one did you get?

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    bwia said:

The chip shortage in the auto industry, foreseen or foreseeable. CBS' 60 minutes examines poor short and long-term planning in auto industry. And as usual they have a convenient scapegoat, the pandemic, as the fall. Watch the video and draw your conclusions.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/video/semiconductor-microchip-shortage-taiwan-60-minutes-2021-05-02/#x

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

I often talk about how we (all of humanity) fail to learn from history. But last year, when the pandemic hit, there really wasn’t much history to fall back on. No lessons to be learned from the past. In this modern interconnected world, nothing like Covid 19 had ever happened before. I remember how unsure I felt in March of 2020, and I was not responsible for the really big major decisions that had to be made. In hindsight, it’s easy to cast blame on the automakers and on the car rental companies. But how many of us, during those very trying times, would have actually made better decisions?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )
    Yeh, it's all about him....he thinks he is the only one that can claim to be an American! :)
    There are North Americans, Central Americans and South Americans....it started because I lumped North Americans together to simplify my point.

@ snakeweasel said Seeing that I took that picture after 7PM and sunset at this time of year is prior to 8PM I think the movie started less than an hour after I took the picture. As for skeeters, not an issue as it has been to cold recently and they wont be getting out for some time.

Technically Central America is part of North America but it is commonly used separately from North America.

And it's not about me but common usage.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I received the Covid vaccine fairly early, Moderna, first shot in January, second in February. Absolutely no ill effects other than a slightly sore arm. And my arm wasn't nearly as sore as when I got a tetanus shot last year.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Hope you are feeling better. That seems fairly common....a rough day or two or three especially after the 2nd shot.
    Which one did you get?
    It was the second shot of the Moderna and it hit hard.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,611

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe
    It was a barrage of posts because I was catching up on a few days of posts that I couldn't get to. If I replied to them on a more regular basis it would have been 4 maybe 5 per day.
    My offer still stands. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Stay away from off brand ink cartridges as they do not work well and some are duds with no ink present. Stick with brand of your printer.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,204
    I got my first, Pfizer, Friday afternoon. Mild upper arm soreness, no immediate effects, but felt like a mild hangover Saturday and most of Sunday, definitely didn't feel 100% there - but not enough to want to remain at home all weekend. Next one is 3 weeks from the first, hoping the 2nd shot thing doesn't impact me like it seems to others.
    driver100 said:

Which one did you get?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )

Technically Central America is part of North America but it is commonly used separately from North America.

Instead of "to" should be spelled "too". :),

Shouldn't that be

"To" should be spelled "too."

Don't periods always go inside quotation marks.

I miss the days when Sterlingdog was here. He had a good hand on
    the grammar.

And I'm trying to see how many nested quotations this forum software will allow. I counted 17. Am I right?

• Options

To add more of what the department leader said, because of the home office use from
    and printers has been high. It sounds like they had been getting in a moderate supply, but
    the purchase rate has been high. In Walmart's case, I suspect a lot of online buying has

Yep. About 2-3 months ago, my old tired and true HP printer, which ate cartridges like they were popcorn, finally gave up the ghost. I was surprised and relatively happy, I got 7 years out of it.

Went shopping at Best Buy, MicroCenter, even on line, good luck finding a printer. BB had display models, but they wouldn’t consider selling those. Asked the BB manager about that, and he said it was a corporate thing. They wanted to show what they COULD sell, but nothing that they WOULD sell. Go figure.

Went to fallback Costco, and found an Epson Printer that uses big ink bottles instead of cartridges. They will probably last 10X longer than HP’s cartridges and it works great. UI isn’t as slick as HP’s. Plus, it’s a bit frustrating grinding through the minutia menus to find even the simplest print changes. But, print quality is excellent and I bet the ink bottles will last me over a year.

• Options
    As an aside, Bobby Unser just passed away! :’(
  • Options

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )

Only an American would think they have the exclusive right to call themselves Americans :)
    (please don't get upset....just trying to lighten this up." (notice: period inside quotation marks)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,970

Yep. About 2-3 months ago, my old tired and true HP printer, which ate cartridges like they were popcorn, finally gave up the ghost. I was surprised and relatively happy, I got 7 years out of it.

Went shopping at Best Buy, MicroCenter, even on line, good luck finding a printer. BB had display models, but they wouldn’t consider selling those. Asked the BB manager about that, and he said it was a corporate thing. They wanted to show what they COULD sell, but nothing that they WOULD sell. Go figure.

Went to fallback Costco, and found an Epson Printer that uses big ink bottles instead of cartridges. They will probably last 10X longer than HP’s cartridges and it works great. UI isn’t as slick as HP’s. Plus, it’s a bit frustrating grinding through the minutia menus to find even the simplest print changes. But, print quality is excellent and I bet the ink bottles will last me over a year.

My wife and stepdaughter have one of those Epsons that take the ink bottles. They seem to like it well enough; it gets a pretty good workout for all the printing they do for the cooking studio.

I've got an HP in my office that I use occasionally.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )

Only an American would think they have the exclusive right to call themselves Americans :)
    (please don't get upset....just trying to lighten this up." (notice: period inside quotation marks)
    LOL
    You just made my day!!!!

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    edited May 2021

carnaught said:

I got some poorly performing ink cartridges that were refurbished along with new off brands on ebay/amazon. I quit the good price models and just went with Canon branded only. More pages. Longer life.

Not one cartridge has developed an early problem with
    skipping lines, etc..
    Nor has one run out of ink much earlier than expected due to poor refill load.

My experience has been different with some generics being better than others. That said, I’ve also had problems with the branded Canon cartridges which in some cases run 10x the cost of generic ones with little or no difference in their duration. Maybe it’s related to what Canon printer model we have. I’ll stick with the generics with my set-up.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,120

If that is the one Shaquille O'Neal advertises on TV, I looked into one. Up here they were all over $1K in worthless Canadian dollars.

A couple of years ago my el-cheapo Canon 3-in-1 gave up the ghost. Although I do not print much, I do need to do it occasionally plus I like the ability to have fax capability simply for dealing with the medical system here which is the only thing I know of that still makes wide use of faxing. I ended up buying a nicer Canon Maxify MB2720 for a ridiculously cheap price online from Staples, something like $69 IIRC. Cartridges are not cheap but seem to last me a decent length of time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-MB2720-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B01LVTS5KY

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )

OK now you agree with me. Also just to lighten things up you opened with an open parenthesis and closed with a quotation mark.

• Options

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )

OK now you agree with me. Also just to lighten things up you opened with an open parenthesis and closed with a quotation mark.
    Well Mrs D was after me to go to the nursery, post office and dog park before the rain started.

• Options
    Where is Sterling when we need him?

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,296

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe

(and, you are wrong... )
    True but it doesn't make them correct. Go to Europe and say your an American and all they will think of is your from the U.S. Not Canada or Mexico. If they are going to Canada they will never say their going to America, they will say Canada.
    I think you have it backwards. This was all America, long before the USA existed. It doesn't matter what Europeans or US citizens think about it. If a Mexican, Venezuelan, or Canadian (etc, etc) says they are American, then that's what they are. And, nothing about the geography contradicts that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator