Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I just heard about a rash of Kia and Hyundai Elantra thefts sparked by a TicToc video showing how to steal them with a cell phone charging cord. Kia from 2011-21 and Elantra’s made after 2016 are most susceptible.

The only remedy is to buy a steering wheel lock according to police. Kia and Hyundai basically say tough luck.

Anyone else heard this?

Yeah I saw the article. I thought I heard that H/K had a software fix for the glitch.

Steering wheel locks don’t work, they just cut the steering wheel with bolt cutters in 3 seconds.

————————————————-
    Not to argue but those bolt cutters must have 4 foot handles. However, thieves will always find a way.

I’m pretty sure I mentioned this when it happened. Son #1 took a bike trip to DC last year and had his bike (worth a little over two grand) stolen when he was at lunch with his wife and BIL. He called the police and filed a theft report and told the police he had what he thought was a pretty good hardened steel 3/8 inch wire rope holding it to a bike rack. The cops told him when they want it they’ll get it and went on to tell him some thieves have portable acetylene cutting torches that will cut through a chain faster than bikers can unlock their chains with a key.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674

Bumper repair estimates ranged from $650 to $1,300. Pretty big spread.

The $650 estimate came from the dealership where I bought the Accord. They have a lifetime repair warranty. So, $650 estimate it is.

Now, getting it scheduled for repair. The most expensive shop was scheduling out to December at the soonest.

My dealership said it’s a small job, so should be able to fit it in in a couple of weeks.

That’s unexpected. Usually the indie shops beat the dealer every time. My only concern would be durability of a cheaper repair but you probably won’t keep your car 20 years like me.

Looks like you got lucky.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I just heard about a rash of Kia and Hyundai Elantra thefts sparked by a TicToc video showing how to steal them with a cell phone charging cord. Kia from 2011-21 and Elantra’s made after 2016 are most susceptible.

The only remedy is to buy a steering wheel lock according to police. Kia and Hyundai basically say tough luck.

Anyone else heard this?

Yeah I saw the article. I thought I heard that H/K had a software fix for the glitch.

Steering wheel locks don’t work, they just cut the steering wheel with bolt cutters in 3 seconds.

————————————————-
    Not to argue but those bolt cutters must have 4 foot handles. However, thieves will always find a way.

jmonroe

A hacksaw can cut through most steering wheels rather quickly.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

jmonroe

It's hard to drive though if you hack through the steering wheel! :s

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

$650 sounds like a bargoon.......I mean what kind of body work can you get these days for under $1000?

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

I’m pretty sure I mentioned this when it happened. Son #1 took a bike trip to DC last year and had his bike (worth a little over two grand) stolen when he was at lunch with his wife and BIL. He called the police and filed a theft report and told the police he had what he thought was a pretty good hardened steel 3/8 inch wire rope holding it to a bike rack. The cops told him when they want it they’ll get it and went on to tell him some thieves have portable acetylene cutting torches that will cut through a chain faster than bikers can unlock their chains with a key.

jmonroe

For a steering wheel? No way you’d need one that large. Like @snakeweasel said a hacksaw can get through a steering wheel in a very short time as well

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I am no longer an insurance virgin. Today while coming back home after meeting a former co-worker for lunch, I was lined up in one of 6 toll booth lanes after crossing our harbor bridge when I felt a bump from behind. An older Chevy Silverado pickup in the lane to the left of me somehow did not see me and the RF corner of his bumper caught me just above the LR wheel opening. Metal looks badly rippled and paint is scratched. First insurance claim ever. Ugh.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    That’s a total bummer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    edited August 2022

@ab348 said:
    I am no longer an insurance virgin. Today while coming back home after meeting a former co-worker for lunch, I was lined up in one of 6 toll booth lanes after crossing our harbor bridge when I felt a bump from behind. An older Chevy Silverado pickup in the lane to the left of me somehow did not see me and the RF corner of his bumper caught me just above the LR wheel opening. Metal looks badly rippled and paint is scratched. First insurance claim ever. Ugh.

Not your insurance though, right? I’d run that all through the person who hit you once you have the police report.

Sucks for sure!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348 said:

———————————————
    That is totally annoying. I guess sitting up high so you can see better didn’t help that nitwit.

I could tell you how to have that fixed but you wouldn’t believe me.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Wow, this is becoming an epidemic.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

Tell me if I did wrong here.

I was getting take out at a local sandwich shop when a man and woman pull up in a big lifted Ford 250 truck and park facing the wrong way in the fire lane (the truck is so high you are looking right at the sign as you get out). There are dozens of spaces 15 feet away in the parking lot. It’s obvious that the couple plans to sit down and have a leisurely lunch without a care in the world.

I normally just shake my head at such entitlement but for some reason I ask him “are those F250s hard to park”? He says “No, not at all”. As I passed him I said “Oh, so there’s no excuse then” and left.

As I reach my car he come blustering out the door and says “why don’t you mind your own business”? To this I responded “I do but sometimes entitled people make that impossible”.

As I drove away I reported him to the police.

Did I overreact? I’m not very confrontational but something just snapped today.

Nope. If there was an emergency where would the first responders go?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@oldfarmer50 said:
    That’s unexpected. Usually the indie shops beat the dealer every time. My only concern would be durability of a cheaper repair but you probably won’t keep your car 20 years like me.

Maybe they are using their bumper repair guy and marking it up??

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    if there was an emergency they would probably just yank the truck out of there. or go through it. Pretty sure if it did prevent the fire department from reaching a fire and someone died, they could charge the driver with something like manslaughter. And it would serve him right.

I would have skipped the confrontation and just called the cops. no desire to get tangled with a hot head that weighs 100# more than me. and these days people seem to pull out guns for any perceived insult. Not that the cops were likely to even show up.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I have been known to remark to people observed parking in a handicapped spot without a handicapped tag or plates, and who obviously aren't handicapped, "That's funny, you don't look handicapped to me."

Usual result is a glare. One of these days I'll probably get shot, but that's how it goes.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

I was getting take out at a local sandwich shop when a man and woman pull up in a big lifted Ford 250 truck and park facing the wrong way in the fire lane (the truck is so high you are looking right at the sign as you get out). There are dozens of spaces 15 feet away in the parking lot. It’s obvious that the couple plans to sit down and have a leisurely lunch without a care in the world.

I normally just shake my head at such entitlement but for some reason I ask him “are those F250s hard to park”? He says “No, not at all”. As I passed him I said “Oh, so there’s no excuse then” and left.

As I reach my car he come blustering out the door and says “why don’t you mind your own business”? To this I responded “I do but sometimes entitled people make that impossible”.

I don't think you did wrong. Probably not what I would have done because confrontation, even when I'm on the right side, negatively impacts my existence. I just make sure, if my kids are with me, they know the person is in the wrong so they don't think it is OK to behave that way.

What I love, though, is people who say "mind your own business" and what they are doing is obviously impacting the public, of which I am a part, so it is my business. Like driving dangerously, for example. That is most definitely my business because I'm out here, too, and one of the people you may kill. Same with this idiot. What if I was inside and needed the fire dept to save me? Yup, you doing something that could result in my death is my business.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@ab348 said:

Not your insurance though, right? I’d run that all through the person who hit you once you have the police report.

Sucks for sure!

Yah, Why wouldn't his insurance cover this....after you contact your insurance company. I think with no-fault your insurance company gets the money from his insurance company.

What a pain, not your fault but now you are inconvenienced and have to spend hours on the phone....because some moron was texting or on his phone. Sorry to hear about this one ab.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Your point was a good one and correct.
    These days you have to be careful if you are confronting people though, people have been shot for saying less.

• Options
    stickguy said:

if there was an emergency they would probably just yank the truck out of there. or go through it. Pretty sure if it did prevent the fire department from reaching a fire and someone died, they could charge the driver with something like manslaughter. And it would serve him right.

I would have skipped the confrontation and just called the cops. no desire to get tangled with a hot head that weighs 100# more than me. and these days people seem to pull out guns for any perceived insult. Not that the cops were likely to even show up.

———————————————-
    When I was a kid (maybe 12 years old) we were living in the Burgh. I was delivering papers and I stopped at a mom-and-pop grocery store to buy a carton of lemonade on the hot Summer day. All of a sudden I see smoke coming out of the second floor of a 2 story house about 200 feet away. I noticed that a car was parked in front of a fire hydrant almost in front of the burning house. Just then a fire truck comes roaring down the street. I’m thinking this otta be good. Nope, one of the firefighters jumps off the rear of the fire truck, grabs a heavy duty chain with a large hook on the end of it. Doesn’t miss a beat and attaches it to the front left corner of the bumper of the car (back then cars had real bumpers). The driver of the truck pulled that car right out of the parking spot about 40 feet down the street. You should have seen it bouncing as it was being pulled out of the parking spot. The owner now comes out screaming, “YOU RUINED MY CAR, YOU RUINED MY CAR.” The firefighter said, “and that cop that just pulled up is going to give you a ticket for blocking a fire hydrant”.

Given the firefighter wasted no time hooking the chain to the car I figured they’d done that before, several times.

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

jmonroe

No not really. Steering wheels are rather stiff and as long as you don't push hard near the part that you cut you should be fine.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Looks like a dinosaur bit it.

• Options

You did good. Good poster you get a biscuit.

• Options
    henryn said:

I have been known to remark to people observed parking in a handicapped spot without a handicapped tag or plates, and who obviously aren't handicapped, "That's funny, you don't look handicapped to me."

Usual result is a glare. One of these days I'll probably get shot, but that's how it goes.

Some handicaps aren't as obvious as others.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

henryn said:

Some handicaps aren't as obvious as others.
    Obvious or not, you shouldn't park in a handicap spot without either the plates or a temporary tag.

Or were you perchance speaking of a mental handicap???
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options

You did good. Good poster you get a biscuit.
    Thanks, Don.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I got a little taste of what you guys who are moving are going through. The wife demanded a new carpet and after a couple of years I relented. My son and I spent a few of hours moving furniture. I never realized how much stuff we had accumulated.

I had to use the garage (Mustang got wet 😢), the attic and the kitchen to handle all the junk. The worst thing was the TV console which contained about 100 pounds of old VHS tapes, cassettes and CDs that I’m sure we never watched once.

I always wondered why she liked watching those shows about horders, now I know.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    My Android wanted to set up facial recognition to protect my phone. No thanks.
    ab348 said:

Sorry to see your accident damage.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    @ab348 Sorry to learn of the damage to the ATS. I really like your car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@ab348 said:

Bummer. That won’t buff out

• Options

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

jmonroe

No not really. Steering wheels are rather stiff and as long as you don't push hard near the part that you cut you should be fine.

Cutting one slice won't change it much, cutting out a section could change it quite a bit;

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

jmonroe

Cutting one slice won't change it much, cutting out a section could change it quite a bit;

You guys seem to have a lot of knowledge on boosting cars. I hope they let you keep your account in jail.😰

Speaking of jail, I just got this email:

“ Hello I am saw your animals ad. and I want to buy your animal. You can lower the price a bit. Email me your pet information. My email is Sara.P. Raines1@gmail.com”

Accompanying the email were 4 links, one of which was to a porn site.

Other than the fact that I never posted any “animals ad” it sounds legit, right?

• Options
    And you worry about the CIA tracking you? :p

• Options
    ab348 said:

And you worry about the CIA tracking you? :p

I don’t know, that email could be some kind of CIA trap!🤫

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

The $650 estimate came from the dealership where I bought the Accord. They have a lifetime repair warranty. So, $650 estimate it is.

Now, getting it scheduled for repair. The most expensive shop was scheduling out to December at the soonest.

My dealership said it’s a small job, so should be able to fit it in in a couple of weeks.

Thought the same. The good news, the dealer gives a written lifetime guarantee on their repairs. Plus, you’re right. Doubtful I’d keep the car long enough to note any shoddy body work from the dealer.

Half tempted to flip it now. Hybrids are a hot commodity. Been offered $2,200 over what I paid for it, already.

But, like real estate, I’d have to find something else I liked at a reasonable price, which is a tough get right now.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Well…that’s a bummer. Sorry to see. His insurance covering it, right?
  • Options
    henryn said:

I do have issues with those who feel the signs aren’t meant for them. Precocious to the max.

That said, the amount of parking spaces designated for handicapped, pregnant, employee of the hour, etc is ridiculous.
  • Options

ab348 said:

Still waiting for everything to play out. I filed a claim with my insurer and the claims person I spoke to was fine but said my underwriting co. is slow right now in responding to claims - staff shortages or whatever. Great. The guy who hit me uses the same agency as me, but is with a different underwriter. Have not heard a thing yet.

Yesterday afternoon I looked online as to how to file a police report. Our local constabulary requires all accident reports to be filed with them IN PERSON at one of their district offices. Fortunately I am not too far away from them so I went up this morning to do that. All sorts of police vehicles parked outside but when I get to the door it is locked and an 8.5x11 sign is taped to the glass saying "Office Closed due to COVID". Don't if that has been the case for a long time or a recent outbreak. So I don't know how to do that as of the moment.

• Options
    ab348 said:

ab348 said:

Still waiting for everything to play out. I filed a claim with my insurer and the claims person I spoke to was fine but said my underwriting co. is slow right now in responding to claims - staff shortages or whatever. Great. The guy who hit me uses the same agency as me, but is with a different underwriter. Have not heard a thing yet.

Yesterday afternoon I looked online as to how to file a police report. Our local constabulary requires all accident reports to be filed with them IN PERSON at one of their district offices. Fortunately I am not too far away from them so I went up this morning to do that. All sorts of police vehicles parked outside but when I get to the door it is locked and an 8.5x11 sign is taped to the glass saying "Office Closed due to COVID". Don't if that has been the case for a long time or a recent outbreak. So I don't know how to do that as of the moment.
    That’s bureaucratic systems for you. Just curious, do police not respond to non injury accidents where you are? In my area you can get them to respond to the scene and give you a case number. On occasion when I’ve had to call they always responded.

• Options
    What did she write back when you replied!!!!!! :D

• Options

A new coating can self-heal scratches in as little as half an hour of sunlight exposure
    Finding a scratch on your car is a special kind of heartbreak, but in the future they might be gone before you even notice. Scientists in Korea have developed a coating that self-heals scratches in as little as 30 minutes when exposed to sunlight.
    The new coating contains a polymer network based on acryl polyol, with what’s called a hindered urea structure. Essentially, the polymers have dynamic chemical bonds that can break apart in response to a stimulus and then reform in their original arrangement, effectively repairing minor damage like scratches. In this case the trigger is heat, which is provided by an organic photothermal dye that captures infrared light, also embedded in the coating.
    In tests on a model car, the team showed that the coating healed scratches in 30 minutes of midday sunlight. In theory, that means someone could key your car door and the scratch could be gone before you come back.
    If half an hour is too long, the team also demonstrated that the process can be drastically sped up under concentrated light. Using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto the mark patched it up in under 30 seconds.
    Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology (KRICT)
    The team says the new coating has a few advantages over existing self-healing coatings. Using organic photothermal dyes means it needs far less energy to work than regular inorganic versions, which usually require heat guns or concentrated UV lights. Others, like Nissan’s Scratch Shield, work under gentler conditions but can take up to a week. The new coating can also repair a scratch in the same location multiple times, unlike self-healing materials that work using bursting capsules of resin.
    Importantly, the new coating is transparent, so it won’t mess with the color of the paint job, and can be applied using existing spray-coating methods. While cars are the primary use case, the team says it could also be applied to other often-scratched devices like phones or building materials.
    The research was published in the journal ACS Applied Polymer Materials. The team demonstrates the self-healing coating in the video below.
    Self-healing of model car coated with developed clearcoat when exposed to focused sunlight
    Source: Eurekalert

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

jmonroe

You have to make 2 cuts a couple inches apart though. That takes time; too much time; they work as a deterrent. They'll choose the car that doesn't take extra time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Anyone else heard this?

————————————————-

jmonroe

You have to make 2 cuts a couple inches apart though. That takes time; too much time; they work as a deterrent. They'll choose the car that doesn't take extra time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

That’s bureaucratic systems for you. Just curious, do police not respond to non injury accidents where you are? In my area you can get them to respond to the scene and give you a case number. On occasion when I’ve had to call they always responded.

We didn't call at the time but based upon reports here from others they usually do not respond unless a vehicle is not driveable or there is injury or 3rd party property damage.

Further update on the police report business.After I was home for a while I decided I would call one of their several non-emergency phone numbers to tell me how to file a report like this one. I explained what I saw on the website about in-person reporting only and she became quite indignant.

"That's not true! You can do it by email now."

"Well, the website I saw said it was in-person only."

"No! You can do it on your computer."

"Well, that's fine. I don't mind doing that. I must have seen an old site. Can you give me the webpage address?"

She gives an address that when I go to it after I hung up doesn't work and redirects me to the site I was on yesterday. I click on the likely link and it takes me to the same page I was on yesterday where it says in-person only. Criminy. Left hand, let me introduce you to right hand.

I go back and there is on online reporting tool for minor incidents like vandalism, etc. It explicitly says it is not for collisions. But there is a section that allows reporting of vandalism involving an auto, so I try that. It is a purchased product that is quite clunky to use and is out of date in terms of many of its pull-down choices but I fill out everything along with a narrative and submit it, which it seems to accept. It needs to be reviewed by a human and they tell me it will be accepted or rejected within 5 days.

There's no bureaucracy like a police bureaucracy.

• Options

I'm worn out and frustrated just reading that! What a pain and entire cluster.

• Options
    To continue my account of my busy day, I get a call from the actual insurance company’s claim person (not an adjuster). She was pleasant enough but English wasn’t her first language and it sounded like she was working from home since I heard a child occasionally yelling in the background. She asked a bunch of the same questions I already answered yesterday along with some others. Then she started on what collision shop I wanted. My preference wasn’t one of their preferred ones and she said it would take longer if I insisted on that. Since the shop of the dealer I bought the car from was one of their choices I went with that to speed things up. She then tells me I need to call them myself to get an estimate, which I found odd.

Then she segues into the rental car saga. It covers $1500 worth of rental and it almost seemed she wanted to get me one today. I will only need one once the car goes into the shop so I demurred. She goes into some detail about what kind of car I want to rent which was totally confusing and rather pointless. She gives me an Enterprise reservation number (I suspect of Seinfeld quality) and I write that down. She gives me the name and phone number of the actual adjuster (also in Ontario) and says I should hear from her soon. No sooner do I hang up when Enterprise calls and I tell them what they should already know that I won’t need one right away. I then call the body shop and their first available appointment for doing an estimate is the end of August. Business must be booming.

What a pain.

• Options
    @ab348
    Garages are busy because people can't buy new cars.......we are keeping our older cars running.
    You have $1500 worth of coverage for a rental car, if you rent a BMW it will use up the $1500 faster than renting a Fiat.
    At least you are moving forward.
    The police report....it might be worth driving to another office, but phone first.

• Options

I was lucky when I had the bumper replaced on the TL. I had to wait about a week and a half to get it in after they did the estimate. I overheard the bodyshop employees tell others it would be 60 days before they could repair theirs. They fit me in as it was a simple bumper paint and attach to the car.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    “ She gives me an Enterprise reservation number (I suspect of Seinfeld quality) ”

Seinfeld rented from Worthy Rent a Car which from the colors looks like a Hertz counter.

https://youtu.be/4T2GmGSNvaM

• Options
    driver100 said:

A new coating can self-heal scratches in as little as half an hour of sunlight exposure
    Finding a scratch on your car is a special kind of heartbreak, but in the future they might be gone before you even notice. Scientists in Korea have developed a coating that self-heals scratches in as little as 30 minutes when exposed to sunlight.
    The new coating contains a polymer network based on acryl polyol, with what’s called a hindered urea structure. Essentially, the polymers have dynamic chemical bonds that can break apart in response to a stimulus and then reform in their original arrangement, effectively repairing minor damage like scratches. In this case the trigger is heat, which is provided by an organic photothermal dye that captures infrared light, also embedded in the coating.
    In tests on a model car, the team showed that the coating healed scratches in 30 minutes of midday sunlight. In theory, that means someone could key your car door and the scratch could be gone before you come back.
    If half an hour is too long, the team also demonstrated that the process can be drastically sped up under concentrated light. Using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto the mark patched it up in under 30 seconds.
    Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology (KRICT)
    The team says the new coating has a few advantages over existing self-healing coatings. Using organic photothermal dyes means it needs far less energy to work than regular inorganic versions, which usually require heat guns or concentrated UV lights. Others, like Nissan’s Scratch Shield, work under gentler conditions but can take up to a week. The new coating can also repair a scratch in the same location multiple times, unlike self-healing materials that work using bursting capsules of resin.
    Importantly, the new coating is transparent, so it won’t mess with the color of the paint job, and can be applied using existing spray-coating methods. While cars are the primary use case, the team says it could also be applied to other often-scratched devices like phones or building materials.
    The research was published in the journal ACS Applied Polymer Materials. The team demonstrates the self-healing coating in the video below.
    Self-healing of model car coated with developed clearcoat when exposed to focused sunlight
    Source: Eurekalert

So driver how is this new gig of yours?